Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Iowa shock for Hillary Clinton as the state’s most accurate

1235»

Comments

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Even though we now have 3 Scottish parties led by women, the LibDems have joined SLAB on their gender balance campaign - Willie Rennie losing patience with his own party (which he leads) on gender balance :

http://www.libdemvoice.org/willie-rennie-backs-all-women-shortlists-47231.html

Jo Swinson has added her perspective :

http://www.libdemvoice.org/jo-swinson-writesdissolution-honours-make-the-contribution-of-women-look-invisible-47270.html
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,576

10 DAYS, 21 HOURS, 25 MINUTES to vote for Labour's next leader.

11 days till JICILL

JICIPM :)
    Most people who are going to vote will have voted by now.

So the election winner is already determined and further comment by Blair and others is a waste of breathe.
    I thought canvas returns were showing a large % had yet to vote?
  • Options

Mr. 1000, I believe Sikh is considered both a religious and ethnic term.

I don't think you can convert to Hinduism either.

Sikh is a religious term, not all ethnic Panjabis are Sikh.

If you can't convert to Hinduism, how about Hare Krishnas?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Tony Blair is getting his "I told you so" in early. It's a very good article written by the wrong man.

He openly admits that 'they' won't listen to him.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

GeoffM said:

11 days till JICILL

Let the 'Tom & Jerry Show' commence!
    Will it involve one hitting the other with a frying pan?
    ...with Diane Abbott as Mammy Two Shoes?
    ...and John Prescott as Spike the bulldog.
    Burnham just has to be Spikes son.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. Calum, what's the SNP approach to all-women shortlists, and the like?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Dr. Prasannan, not sure. I was taught (some time ago) you were born a Hindu, or you weren't.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    Moses_ said:

GeoffM said:

11 days till JICILL

Dat's ma boy!
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

11 days till JICILL

So the election winner is already determined and further comment by Blair and others is a waste of breathe.
    Yes the Labour Party website says ballots are still in the process of been sent out.
    If you have not recieved one by e mail or post by 1st September to re-contact them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    edited August 2015
    The other side of immigration

"Four in 10 of the migrants who came to the UK last year came with no job waiting for them, said May, and this “search for a better life” has had huge economic costs for the countries they’ve left behind.
    Advertisement

“A third of Portugal’s qualified nurses have migrated; 20% of the Czech Republic’s medical graduates leave as soon as they qualify; nearly 500 doctors are leaving Bulgaria every year.”

Meanwhile Brits can't be bothered to train their own people

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/30/migration-crisis-germany-france-britain-demand-urgent-meeting
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Well you shouldn't. Nazi Germany was nominally Christian and you can't change that just because it wasn't a particularly strong component of its identity.

Yes I should. Hitler didn't come to power by revolution - he kissed a lot of babies and spoke before a lot of Catholic women's groups on the way up. The fact that he didn't close the Churches and shoot the clergy has no bearing whatever on the atheistic philosophy behind his regime and its actions.
    By 'atheistic philosophy' do you mean a philosophy that doesn't focus on the primacy of a god or a philosophy that actively rejects the existence of a god? You can promote the former without being an atheist.
    I believe Nazism was the latter. One of the hymns of the Hitler Youth had this stanza:

"NO EVIL PRIEST CAN PREVENT US FROM FEELING

THAT WE ARE THE CHILDREN OF ADOLPH HITLER

AWAY WITH THE INCENSE AND HOLY WATER

THE SWASTIKA BRINGS SALVATION ON EARTH"

Through organisations like the Hitler Youth, they were deliberately killing the Church slowly by demography. To have done so immediately by having clergy shot, Bibles burned etc. would have been utterly politically impossible.
    The Nazi philosophy was that the leader was effectively Godlike.
    so a bit like the SNP ?
    Yes Alan as in no contest for leadership or Brown like.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Plato said:

twitter.com/uktostayeu/status/637951008677756928

"My laboratory would fall apart if Britain left the EU"

We wouldn't be leaving Europe, just the EU. So what would be the problem?

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:
    advertising you're an unstable platform for research doesn't sound clever.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JEO said:

One of the most disturbing parts of Islam is how the scholars divide the world into the "Land of Islam" and the "Land of War".

What's hilarious as an atheist is that I see far more similarities (both good and bad) between Islam and the other Abrahamic religions it has evolved from. Many of the quotes both the "Islam is good" and "Islam is bad" crowd selectively quote are really translations of passages from the Old Testament.

Islam shares more with Christianity than either side is willing to admit. Both for good and ill.
    Right.

So why are so many muslims heading for rich Christian countries rather than the rich muslim ones on their doorsteps ?
    Because economics has bugger all to do with religion?
    What an incredibly stupid remark. There is a reason Protestant Europe is richer than Catholic Europe. For an apparently clever person you are seriously dim.
    Although catholic Bavaria is the richest part of Germany
    Was that always the case? Perhaps the protestant north was wealthier before the first and second world wars which I think took a greater toll on the north than Bavaria.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JEO said:

One of the most disturbing parts of Islam is how the scholars divide the world into the "Land of Islam" and the "Land of War".

What's hilarious as an atheist is that I see far more similarities (both good and bad) between Islam and the other Abrahamic religions it has evolved from. Many of the quotes both the "Islam is good" and "Islam is bad" crowd selectively quote are really translations of passages from the Old Testament.

Islam shares more with Christianity than either side is willing to admit. Both for good and ill.
    Right.

So why are so many muslims heading for rich Christian countries rather than the rich muslim ones on their doorsteps ?
    What an incredibly stupid remark. There is a reason Protestant Europe is richer than Catholic Europe. For an apparently clever person you are seriously dim.
    Was that always the case? Perhaps the protestant north was wealthier before the first and second world wars which I think took a greater toll on the north than Bavaria.
    No, Bavaria always used to be thought of as poor and rural. It could be argued that Bavaria surpassed the north when the north became less religious, and thus less Protestant! Whether or not that's true, it's certainly clear that Bavaria and Austria were shaped by the broader Protestant culture that affected German culture overall.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JEO said:

Right.

I don't think it is, the richest german state by GDP per head is Hamburg
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    JEO said:

Great news: the Conservatives have come out in favour of restoring free movement of labour within the EU to just be freedom of movement of... well, labour:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34100643

So beggars and the unemployed would not be able to come here. We need to add criminals to that list. I was speaking to a police officer on Friday who had seen the same criminal deported to Romania three times, and him coming back every time.

I would welcome most of these points.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190

Well you shouldn't. Nazi Germany was nominally Christian and you can't change that just because it wasn't a particularly strong component of its identity.

Yes I should. Hitler didn't come to power by revolution - he kissed a lot of babies and spoke before a lot of Catholic women's groups on the way up. The fact that he didn't close the Churches and shoot the clergy has no bearing whatever on the atheistic philosophy behind his regime and its actions.
    By 'atheistic philosophy' do you mean a philosophy that doesn't focus on the primacy of a god or a philosophy that actively rejects the existence of a god? You can promote the former without being an atheist.
    I believe Nazism was the latter. One of the hymns of the Hitler Youth had this stanza:

Through organisations like the Hitler Youth, they were deliberately killing the Church slowly by demography. To have done so immediately by having clergy shot, Bibles burned etc. would have been utterly politically impossible.
    Let's face it, the Nazi "philosophy" on religion was as self-serving a fucked-up mish-mash of ideas as everything else they spouted forth about. You just can't fit the Nazi fascination with the Occult, Ariosophy and the Spear of Destiny into any coherent religious doctrine. It probably taps into a deep-seated ancient paganism that still sat alongside the more recent Christian beliefs.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2015

11 days till JICILL

There will not be a 100% turnout. Not everyone is going to vote.

The election is a combination of a postal vote and an electronic vote (for supporters). In these types of vote most people who are going to vote do so when they receive the letter in the post or the email. Most of those who are going to vote will have already done so.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,862
    edited August 2015

MattW said:

SeanT said:

JEO said:

And if both faiths manage to kill millions more in the coming years, they may even catch up with atheism in the head count stakes.
    s.
    Well that's idiotic as the Nazi's were Christians. Moron.
    Sorry you feel the need to resort to personal insults, but I'll address your point.

There is not a single reputable scholar in the field of history who will say that the Nazis were Christians. I've studied the inter-war period at degree level, so I know a little about it. Hitler was a militant atheist; who tolerated the Church (albeit subverting with the Nazi idoelogy) merely because his regime depended on maintaining the social fabric of Germany - indeed being seen to be a bulwark against it's disintegration.
    I'd say that's a very fair and lucid summation.
    Don't think I'd call Hitler a Militant Atheist - militant anti-Catholic might fit, given what he did to the churech-based youth organisations.

Certainly Richard DFabiansand his Disciples gibberish about "Hitler was a Roman Catholic" are the usual type of abusive Dawkins fairy stories.

I'd more call him a Homicidal Pagan - ie some sort of inchoate nonorthodox blood and soil nature religion.
    Some Hitler quotes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Adolf_Hitler
    There's a quite major difference between the different periods of Hitler too ... Say between 1926, 1932, 1939 and 1945.

If we want to stir the pot remember that our own multimillion strong Peace Pledge Union movement was pushing appeasement and for Hitler to be given the Sudetenland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_Pledge_Union#Appeasement_of_Nazi_Germany

Those are the White Poppy People.

It's a little like Humanists and Fabians never wanting to talk about their predecessors enthusiasm for sterilising substandard working class people.

Anybody who pretends that anything about Hitler is simple and clear is lying or deluded.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Mr. 1000, I believe Sikh is considered both a religious and ethnic term.

I don't think you can convert to Hinduism either.

It's a little hard to follow the thread of your conversation without previous quotes Mr Dancer, but I think you are following up on a comment about converting to Judaism.

It is possible to convert although it's not a simple or easy process. My brother is a dayanim of our local beth din (the rabbinical court) so I am very familiar with the procedure. Getting a Shtar geirut (a Certificate of Conversion) is not a trivial undertaking.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,862

Let's face it, the Nazi "philosophy" on religion was as self-serving a fucked-up mish-mash of ideas as everything else they spouted forth about. You just can't fit the Nazi fascination with the Occult, Ariosophy and the Spear of Destiny into any coherent religious doctrine. It probably taps into a deep-seated ancient paganism that still sat alongside the more recent Christian beliefs.
    +6
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JEO said:

Right.

Quite right: Hamburg is number one.

However, Hamburg is slightly anomolous of the German lander, in that (along with Bremen and Berlin), it is basically just a city. Of the non-city states, Bavaria is the richest. And I suspect if you compared Munich (the dominant city in Bavaria) with Hamburg, then Munich (home to Allianz, Siemens, Munich Re, etc. etc.) would be the richer. (In fact, I suspect Munich is the richest city in Germany.)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Kids Company yet more revelations

Kids Company funded 23-year-old in Nigeria... and crack den landlord: Devastating secret files intensify row over the charity's financial crisis

The revelations have come as Ms Batmanghelidjh and Alan Yentob, the BBC executive who was chairman of the charity’s board of trustees for 18 years, face being called before MPs to explain how they failed to recognise the growing financial crisis

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3215738/Kids-Company-funded-23-year-old-Nigeria-crack-den-landlord-Devastating-secret-files-intensify-row-charity-s-financial-crisis.html#ixzz3kJQqfjiq
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

JEO said:

Right.

Quite right: Hamburg is number one.

However, Hamburg is slightly anomolous of the German lander, in that (along with Bremen and Berlin), it is basically just a city. Of the non-city states, Bavaria is the richest. And I suspect if you compared Munich (the dominant city in Bavaria) with Hamburg, then Munich (home to Allianz, Siemens, Munich Re, etc. etc.) would be the richer. (In fact, I suspect Munich is the richest city in Germany.)
    A quick google turns up this, which is out of date but probably relatively instructive.

http://www.citymayors.com/business/eurocities_gdp.html
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr M,

"It is possible to convert although it's not a simple or easy process."

How do I ask this delicately?

It reminds me of the old joke told about a work boss who was very unpopular ... "When they circumcised him, they threw away the wrong bit."
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Calum S ‏@CalumSPlath 4h4 hours ago
    Blair's interventions in the leader race are sounding increasingly like guys on Grindr who become more persistent the more they're ignored
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Why is the British taxpayer paying for jihadists to sue our own government? We're an insanely soft touch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11832959/Hundreds-of-thousands-spent-on-lawyers-for-quartet-linked-to-Jihadi-John-cell.html
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    CD13 said:

Mr M,

"It is possible to convert although it's not a simple or easy process."

How do I ask this delicately?

It reminds me of the old joke told about a work boss who was very unpopular ... "When they circumcised him, they threw away the wrong bit."

LOL and you are right - you don't escape that part *cough*

It's called the brit milah. And if it's already been chopped off you have to pretend to have it done again (hatafat dam brit)
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Mr. Calum, what's the SNP approach to all-women shortlists, and the like?

As far as I can tell the SNP candidate selection process is a membership vote at the constituency and regional level, my MSP is Keith Brown who was returned as the candidate unopposed. Edinburgh South the only Edinburgh seat not held by the SNP attracted 10 candidates - they eventually selected an Edinburgh lawyer (male).
  • Options

Dr. Prasannan, not sure. I was taught (some time ago) you were born a Hindu, or you weren't.

That's why I pointed out the Hare Krishnas, Mr Dancer.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited August 2015
    Danny565 said:

Blair's interventions in the leader race are sounding increasingly like guys on Grindr who become more persistent the more they're ignored

Is that what you found? :)

It's fascinating the way the left is freezing out all the non-pure while claiming to be energizing the 'disenfranchised'.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Danny565 said:

Yes, he's lucid as always, but I'm not sure the interventions are having the effect he'd want.

Have you decided how to vote yourself? Think you're the swing voter here between BigJohn/me and Tyson/Roger!
  • Options
    Plato said:
    Completely asinine article. The idea that we need to be in the EU to attract talent like that from the Far East and India that this researcher has is kind of flawed by the fact that the Far East and India aren't part of the EU. I'm guessing he's not a researcher into Geography with this nonsense.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Any other lessons you learned?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Moses_ said:

GeoffM said:

11 days till JICILL

Who then is the drop-dead gorgeous young lady cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6jKZ6hZwx0
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Danny565 said:

That probably is very much the case.. Blair is delusional as he thinks he has as much influence in UK politics as when he was PM.

However,It doesn't make him wrong, but no one is listening. When Nick Palmer wants to vote for Corbyn, you know Labour are utterly screwed. (unless its the former communist in him re-surfacing)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Danny565 said:

Yes, he's lucid as always, but I'm not sure the interventions are having the effect he'd want.!
    His acknowledgement they in fact have the opposite effect, that is they convince people to continue on the current course, would seem to indicate that his interventions now are more about being for the record than having an actual effect.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

That probably is very much the case.. Blair is delusional as he thinks he has as much influence in UK politics as when he was PM.

However,It doesn't make him wrong, but no one is listening. When Nick Palmer wants to vote for Corbyn, you know Labour are utterly screwed. (unless its the former communist in him re-surfacing)
    Blair can't win. If he stayed silent people would be demanding he do something.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

So he says something when its far too late
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Be fair, this isn't the first thing he's said.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Be fair to Blair.. a new slogan. Blair's lies took us into an unnecessary and damaging war. He doesn't need anyone to be fair to him.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Be fair to Blair.. a new slogan. Blair's lies took us into an unnecessary and damaging war. He doesn't need anyone to be fair to him.
    I opposed the war too, but how about we just say instead, 'be accurate, this isn't the first thing he's said'? Being fair to him as a person or not doesn't play into that, it is simple fact that he has intervened previously into this debate and inaccurate if we were to recall otherwise afterwards.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

I opposed the war too, but how about we just say instead, 'be accurate, this isn't the first thing he's said'? Being fair to him as a person or not doesn't play into that, it is simple fact that he has intervened previously into this debate and inaccurate if we were to recall otherwise afterwards.
    I knew he had said something before. My beef with Blair is that I supported the war because of Blairs lies and the cabal around him who conned the British public.

I've never forgiven him for that.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Moses_ said:

GeoffM said:

11 days till JICILL

I would normally say one of the "Totty watch" members or even the fragrant Yevette but in the current circumstances it could only be Ms Diane.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

I knew he had said something before. My beef with Blair is that I supported the war because of Blairs lies and the cabal around him who conned the British public.

Who asked you to? Someone said 'be fair to Blair' in reference to him saying something else in this debate, and you then started saying he doesn't deserve that fairness, when it was merely an expression irrelevant to the pointing out of a fact.

Ah, never mind. Atheism, nazism and now Blair talk today. Not all on a par, obviously, but I have not the energy to keep it up. Good evening to all.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

How about being fair to the truth? Just because Blair lied doesn't make it OK to not be honest about what Blair has said now. Two wrongs don't make a right, even if one wrong is obviously worse and has infinitely more serious consequences.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

GeoffM said:

11 days till JICILL

Liz :)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128

Moses_ said:

GeoffM said:

11 days till JICILL

Are you still after pussy, Mr Llama? I thought you’d reached years of discretion, and left that sort of thing to SeanT!