Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In a strange land

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In a strange land

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”  These are words which find absolutely no purchase in Britain in 2015.  Fully 50% this month see immigration as one of the three most important issues facing Britain in Ipsos MORI’s regular poll for the Economist and it’s a safe bet that few of them are concerned that Britain isn’t getting e…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Cameron's commitment to "tens of thousands" was never achievable. Even when it dipped to ~160,000 it didn't appear that would continue, let alone halve again.

Cameron should just concentrate on the policies and not the commitments. Take practical steps, and the Tories can still outperform Labour who have the same problematic record.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    1st to count.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Sadly it's also a conversation that's difficult to engage in without provoking accusations of racism or whatever.

I very much want us to take in as many of these desperate people as we can. The problem is absorbing them without destroying the thing they themselves are seeking. So how can we best absorb vast numbers?

It seems to me that societies on the receiving end of mass migration need to be very clear about what is & what is not acceptable behaviour. As with the previous thread on the Gentlemen's Agreement of the Privy Council, a cohesive society depends on people's innate understanding of what is & isn't acceptable.

We will probably need to codify 'acceptable behaviour' in a way we've never even dreamed of doing before. Only then will it be possible to say to would-be immigrants "This is what our society is. If you wish to reside here, you must agree to integrate into our society."

As an example, this might even lead us to decide that such a code states: "Faces will be visible." Anathema to some and an infringement of rights to others at the moment. But this sort of thing needs to be tackled if immigrants are to be given fair warning.

Codification of the socially acceptable would also, of course, impact the indigenous population in unforeseeable ways. And how are we going to police it all?

Another issue we may need to change is the position of later-generation immigrants. It's a truism that people set little value on what they've always had. So maybe we need to consider a ruling that citizenship has to be earned "unto the third & fourth generation", even though it's horrible to think of what this could lead to.

But I do think we could use the experience of the American Indian peoples as a worth-while case study. That wave of economic migration was deadly to their societies & ways of life.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Blazing Saddles "We Don't Want the Irish!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    AnneJGP said:

Sadly it's also a conversation that's difficult to engage in without provoking accusations of racism or whatever.

I very much want us to take in as many of these desperate people as we can. The problem is absorbing them without destroying the thing they themselves are seeking. So how can we best absorb vast numbers?

It seems to me that societies on the receiving end of mass migration need to be very clear about what is & what is not acceptable behaviour. As with the previous thread on the Gentlemen's Agreement of the Privy Council, a cohesive society depends on people's innate understanding of what is & isn't acceptable.

We will probably need to codify 'acceptable behaviour' in a way we've never even dreamed of doing before. Only then will it be possible to say to would-be immigrants "This is what our society is. If you wish to reside here, you must agree to integrate into our society."

As an example, this might even lead us to decide that such a code states: "Faces will be visible." Anathema to some and an infringement of rights to others at the moment. But this sort of thing needs to be tackled if immigrants are to be given fair warning.

Codification of the socially acceptable would also, of course, impact the indigenous population in unforeseeable ways. And how are we going to police it all?

Another issue we may need to change is the position of later-generation immigrants. It's a truism that people set little value on what they've always had. So maybe we need to consider a ruling that citizenship has to be earned "unto the third & fourth generation", even though it's horrible to think of what this could lead to.

But I do think we could use the experience of the American Indian peoples as a worth-while case study. That wave of economic migration was deadly to their societies & ways of life.

With regards to dress codes, middle Eastern countries have absolutely no qualms about imposing dress standards on immigrants, why should we be any different?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited August 2015
    I have a lot of problems with this article...

Firstly "So why are the public so worked up about the subject? In short, the media."
    Ignorance is bliss, the events that the media have depicted have actually ocurred and the public rightly should be able to respond accordingly. Are you implying the media shouldn't cover or should reduce the coverage of the deaths of migrants in Libyan boats or the illegals at Calais? It is a crisis and rightly should receive as much coverage as the media organisations want to give it. If people have a problem with a specific organisation they can choose to no longer receive their media from that source.

Secondly the assertion "and believe, incorrectly, that Britain is in the frontline of this." is unjustified and I believe an incorrect assumption. You provide no evidence that people believe this. We do not have to be on the frontline of a problem to want solutions for the consequences that impact ourselves.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    Good article. Personally I think that globalisation, easier travel and widespread knowledge of European languages make it inevitable that rich(ish) countries near poor(ish) countries are going to attract migrants trying to cross over, legally or otherwise.

We can try to improve life where they are so the enterprising can hope to thrive at home (probably the only long-term solution - we don't see waves of Chinese fleeing their growing economy), and/or (ineffectively) make it harder to come in and/or accept multinational flows as being as inevitable as the flow of jobs to poorer countries was over the last 30 years. We've decided to be one world with leaky boundaries, and I'm not sure there's a practical way back, even if we want one. Being honest with voters about that may be the best option for Mr Cameron and others.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Some useful context on the human scale of the issue and the political scale. I think the crucial paragraph is how the PM has to confront differing short, medium and long term problems arising from this issue, and so far there is nothing satisfactory proposed for any of them.

I honestly don't see a solution here. As pointed out it is not going to go away, but is there away to address the impacts in a way which is politically and socially acceptable to the public? Not without something giving, either in what migrants expect or what we expect, and neither will happen willingly or without something distasteful happening I suspect. I don't even see how properly starting a discussion about it, assuming the most objective discussion imaginable, free of the irrationality on all sides of this debate, could arrive at an equitable solution.

Maybe that's a lack of imagination or insight on my part, or a failure of our leaders to discuss the issue and inform the public in such a way that a solution seems possible, if difficult, but it just depresses me thoroughly.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Cast Iron Dave into the wilderness.
  • Options

We've decided to be one world with leaky boundaries, and I'm not sure there's a practical way back, even if we want one. Being honest with voters about that may be the best option for Mr Cameron and others.

You may be right, but even though Cameron is saying he won't be PM after 2020 (and I doubt he's staying in an elected position as MP afterwards), and might in theory be well placed at some point in his premiership to deal out some hard truths to the public, it's hard to see his colleagues who will be remaining on permitting that even were he inclined to do so at some point.

Short terminism will be the order of the day, and I don't even really blame our politicians for that - for all leadership does sometimes mean rising above the froth and doing and saying things people need but may not want, voters punish those dealing out hard truths, even if we could identify those hard truths incontrovertibly and thus without opportunity for partisan advantage and disadvantage.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    I haven't watched Newsnight in years but given the comments re last night's episode, I thought I would watch it.

Oh dear, Cat Smith, no doubt, she is the another product of their "all-women shortlists?"

James O'Brien seemed less obnoxious than usual, although I think he was close to losing his temper with Ms Smith.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

It would probably enrage the left, but one way to court favour with the electorate is to be choosy and obviously so. For example ... we don't care what colour or creed you are as long as you come here to work and make a real effort to fit in.

Genuine asylum seekers aren't that numerous so we can let the real ones in anyway. To annoy the left even more, you could preferentially let in Christians over militant Muslims.

Even if Labour screeched, but the more they complained, the more support they would lose. If any of ABC were LOTO, their complaints would be minimal.

If the current situation persists, EU laws will be changing anyway.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

We do not have to be on the frontline of a problem to want solutions for the consequences that impact ourselves.

That is true, however I think it is at least partly true that as with all nations we tend to view ourselves as more important and therefore especially troubled as well. We may have a vague sense that others have it worse, but while it is correct our focus is on how it impacts us, I do think it at the least probable a lot of people believe we are particularly if hardly uniquely beset by these concerns.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

Good article. Personally I think that globalisation, easier travel and widespread knowledge of European languages make it inevitable that rich(ish) countries near poor(ish) countries are going to attract migrants trying to cross over, legally or otherwise.

We can try to improve life where they are so the enterprising can hope to thrive at home (probably the only long-term solution - we don't see waves of Chinese fleeing their growing economy), and/or (ineffectively) make it harder to come in and/or accept multinational flows as being as inevitable as the flow of jobs to poorer countries was over the last 30 years. We've decided to be one world with leaky boundaries, and I'm not sure there's a practical way back, even if we want one. Being honest with voters about that may be the best option for Mr Cameron and others.

Would you like to define "near" in your first paragraph in relation to the UK and also in relation to the outer borders of the Schengen area.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I posted earlier today asking why the British Gvt and several others across Europe are trying to stop a woman taking her family to Syria..If she has a passport and that is her wish then surely she has a right to take her family wherever she wants to.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    CD13 said:

It would probably enrage the left, but one way to court favour with the electorate is to be choosy and obviously so. For example ... we don't care what colour or creed you are as long as you come here to work and make a real effort to fit in.
    Genuine asylum seekers aren't that numerous so we can let the real ones in anyway. To annoy the left even more, you could preferentially let in Christians over militant Muslims.
    Even if Labour screeched, but the more they complained, the more support they would lose. If any of ABC were LOTO, their complaints would be minimal.
    If the current situation persists, EU laws will be changing anyway.

What the opposition are not suggesting is a solution to the problem - the problem being world wide economic migration. I suspect the UK public are aware that countries like Germany are in receipt of many more of these migrants than we are.
    I think you are right about the present problem will cause rule/law changes. The Schengen rules for a start are leading to people being killed. The rules cover normal transit of goods and people not airless cattle wagons of extorted people.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Some useful context on the human scale of the issue and the political scale. I think the crucial paragraph is how the PM has to confront differing short, medium and long term problems arising from this issue, and so far there is nothing satisfactory proposed for any of them.

I honestly don't see a solution here. As pointed out it is not going to go away, but is there away to address the impacts in a way which is politically and socially acceptable to the public? Not without something giving, either in what migrants expect or what we expect, and neither will happen willingly or without something distasteful happening I suspect. I don't even see how properly starting a discussion about it, assuming the most objective discussion imaginable, free of the irrationality on all sides of this debate, could arrive at an equitable solution.

Maybe that's a lack of imagination or insight on my part, or a failure of our leaders to discuss the issue and inform the public in such a way that a solution seems possible, if difficult, but it just depresses me thoroughly.

I agree with all you say but we can't just ignore the issue. I also feel that we have to cast aside all sentimentality and try to deal with it firmly and equitably, and with the interest and views of the existing population firmly in mind. How things go from here is undoubtedly going to figure large in EU in/out debate.
  • Options

I posted earlier today asking why the British Gvt and several others across Europe are trying to stop a woman taking her family to Syria..If she has a passport and that is her wish then surely she has a right to take her family wherever she wants to.

Does a government not have the power to decree it's citizens are not allowed to travel certain places? A genuine question.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    saddened said:

With regards to dress codes, middle Eastern countries have absolutely no qualms about imposing dress standards on immigrants, why should we be any different?

Middle Eastern countries impose dress standards on all, not just immigrants.

Are we planning to deny British people the right to cover their head, should they so desire?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    kle4 said:

We've decided to be one world with leaky boundaries, and I'm not sure there's a practical way back, even if we want one. Being honest with voters about that may be the best option for Mr Cameron and others.

You may be right, but even though Cameron is saying he won't be PM after 2020 (and I doubt he's staying in an elected position as MP afterwards), and might in theory be well placed at some point in his premiership to deal out some hard truths to the public, it's hard to see his colleagues who will be remaining on permitting that even were he inclined to do so at some point.

Short terminism will be the order of the day, and I don't even really blame our politicians for that - for all leadership does sometimes mean rising above the froth and doing and saying things people need but may not want, voters punish those dealing out hard truths, even if we could identify those hard truths incontrovertibly and thus without opportunity for partisan advantage and disadvantage.
    The only people engaging in "short termism" here are those that are advocating accepting hundreds of thousands of people from a part of the world from which previous immigrants have integrated very badly. The "hard truths" in this context are that, long term, accepting huge numbers through this process is going to result in,

(a) a huge weakening in the principle of a rule of law,
    (b) much greater social strife,
    (c) much greater political support for hard right parties
    (d) less cohesive nation states with less sense of social solidarity,
    (e) many more home grown terrorists,
    (f) increased incidence of diseases like tuberculosis, which we had previously eradicated
    (g) lower wages for the unskilled
    (h) less English being spoken in infant schools, reducing language development
    (i) increased incidence of female genital mutilation and honour killings
    (j) a larger population of people opposed to women working outside the home, and
    (k) greater homophobia and anti-Semitism
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    kle4 Exactly what I am trying to find out..how can a citizen of the UK..If that is what she is..be prevented from traveling with her family to a country of her choice...what law has been enacted and what is its scope in regard to everyone else...and where are we all banned from traveling to..
  • Options

I haven't watched Newsnight in years but given the comments re last night's episode, I thought I would watch it.

Oh dear, Cat Smith, no doubt, she is the another product of their "all-women shortlists?"

James O'Brien seemed less obnoxious than usual, although I think he was close to losing his temper with Ms Smith.

Why did the BBC use her? Did they not know how useless (that seems scarcely adequate) she is or did they know and still use her? Did JC put her up? Was she the only volunteer? Conspiracy theories abound.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    kle4 said:

Does a government not have the power to decree it's citizens are not allowed to travel certain places? A genuine question.
    USSR did. They built a wall to stop them getting out. Not sure about the UK.

A wall would be multi-purpose. It would keep UK citizens in and foreigners out. A big fort.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

saddened said:

Middle Eastern countries impose dress standards on all, not just immigrants.

Are we planning to deny British people the right to cover their head, should they so desire?
    That's the trouble with codifying acceptable social behaviour - any rules will have to apply to all. But it seems to me it's the only way to absorb very large numbers of people without destroying the society the immigrants wish to join.
  • Options
    "So why are the public so worked up about the subject? In short, the media. This year we have been treated to many pictures of boatloads of migrants crossing the Mediterranean and the Aegean and to blood-curdling accounts of throngs of migrants at Calais (and consequent disruption to Channel Tunnel services). News has percolated back of the wall that the Hungarians are erecting on their Serbian border. More recently, we have seen chaos on the Greek/Macedonian border. The British public are concluding, correctly, that Europe is seeing an unprecedented wave of asylum-seeking and believe, incorrectly, that Britain is in the frontline of this."

I am confident that the author must be a high income individual who does not have many in his or her social circle from ordinary backgrounds. Despite the snobbery of wealthy people, working class people not idiots that are easily led by the media. They are people who see things work out in practical terms, and willing to make conclusions that the political correctness of the chattering classes blinds them to.

On this issue, the public are bright enough to realise that the UK is bound to see a great number of this vast wave of migrants sooner or later. Firstly, the camps at Calais are likely to swell from much greater numbers of Africans and Arabs entering the Schengen area, which in turn means more being smuggled into the UK, which thousands are already doing. Secondly, a large fraction of the vast numbers being accepted by Sweden and Germany will get EU passports and travel straight to the UK.
  • Options

Why did the BBC use her? Did they not know how useless (that seems scarcely adequate) she is or did they know and still use her? Did JC put her up? Was she the only volunteer? Conspiracy theories abound.
    It would take malcolmg dropping his pants and farting in the face of Kirsty Wark to get me watching Newsnight again.

On the other hand, have I got that the right way round?
  • Options
    JEO said:

kle4 said:

The only people engaging in "short termism" here are those that are advocating accepting hundreds of thousands of people from a part of the world from which previous immigrants have integrated very badly. The "hard truths" in this context are that, long term, accepting huge numbers through this process is going to result in,

(f) increased incidence of diseases like tuberculosis, which we had previously eradicated
    (j) a larger population of people opposed to women working outside the home, and
    Anyone making comment like this exposes themselves to accusations of racism. I agree with you and I don't think most popular opinion is far from that position. I don't know how you stop the debate from becoming emotionally charged but I believe that that way lies all kinds of potential dangers for us as a nation.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Ahem. FPT:
    Challenge Cup final about as one-sided as the Battle of Cannae.

On-topic: I imagine fears of enclaves, non-integration and the unwillingness or incapability of the state to stop indefensible acts because their prevention might be deemed 'not conducive to social cohesion' have not been helped by the Rotherham disgrace.

There may well be a gaping wide class divide. The media aren't likely to lose their jobs (or feel they might lose out) to migrants who can undercut them. There's also a war of language. Some want 'refugee' to be used instead of 'migrant'. I imagine others would want 'illegal immigrant/criminal' to be used, given this is not proceeding through established channels.

It's also notable that there's been a hell of a lot of media coverage about this, not just when the Tunnel was being breached all the time.
  • Options

"We" have not decided to be one world with leaky boundaries. The Labour Party decided to do that, as a political decision, and then deliberately kept in quiet in the knowledge that your working class supporters would object. Now that it's happened, you're now saying "oh well, too late to turn back the clock". It is one of the many shameful things you have done in office that the party is still unwilling to apologise for.
  • Options
    I also noted in the last immigration figures that students entering the country was about four times larger than students exiting the country. This demonstrates the myth about student migration being "temporary".

Another myth is the line from Corbyn about much non-EU migration being "family reunion". It is not. Most spousal visas from the countries at the top of the list, like Pakistan, India and Bangladesh are not reuniting families. They are bringing in spouses that the UK partner barely knows and often hasn't yet married. I do not see why this is a practice our immigration system should accommodate. If you are marrying for a good match rather than someone you've fallen in love with, there are plenty of candidates in the UK. Although possibly it will not help tribal politics or having a supine wife.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I think the objection to immigration is a mixture of things:

1. They are taking our jobs.
    2. They are changing our culture.
    3. There isn't room for them. Pressure on hospitals, roads, houses etc.
    4. They may include terrorists and criminals.
    5. They are a different colour - i.e. racism. OK if they are Australian or Canadian.

Different people will have a different set of these objections. Not many hold objection 5 I hope. WWC males would major on objections 1 and 3 (and perhaps 5). Many conservatives would major on objections 2,3 and 4.

It would be useful if there was some research on the basis of people's concern regarding immigration.

All these objections (except 5) have some validity and need addressing openly and calmly. Some require better information on the scale of the problem. It may not be as bad as you think. Some need action - more housing, better integration, etc. Easier said than done.

I suspect that net migration will continue at around 300,000 for years to come, adding about 0.5% pa to GDP growth (income and consumption). Of these, asylum seekers will be a very small proportion.

To put it in perspective, Britain took in about 25,000 Asian Ugandans in 1972. In the period up to 2001, Britain took in 720,000 Irish (including my wife). 1.2% 0f the UK population was born in Ireland.
  • Options
    JEO said:

kle4 said:

I assume you are talking about economic migrants who are in effect illegals. And you make fair points.
    The movement of workers within the EU takes up most of our immigration and that issue is being rapidly taken over by economic migration from all over the world. I imagine most of these people are perfectly ordinary but that does not make much difference to the need to stop this movement for everyone's sake - not least those that end up dead in transit.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Barnesian said:

5. They are a different colour - i.e. racism. OK if they are Australian or Canadian.

Different people will have a different set of these objections. Not many hold objection 5 I hope. WWC males would major on objections 1 and 3 (and perhaps 5). Many conservatives would major on objections 2,3 and 4.

It would be useful if there was some research on the basis of people's concern regarding immigration.

All these objections (except 5) have some validity and need addressing openly and calmly. Some require better information on the scale of the problem. It may not be as bad as you think. Some need action - more housing, better integration, etc. Easier said than done.

I suspect that net migration will continue at around 300,000 for years to come, adding about 0.5% pa to GDP growth (income and consumption). Of these, asylum seekers will be a very small proportion.

To put it in percpective, Britain took in about 25,000 Asian Ugandans in 1972. In the period up to 2001, Britain took in 720,000 Irish (including my wife). 1.2% 0f the UK population was born in Ireland.

Very comprehensive analysis, I agree with it all. Another potential objection is the long-term damage to the country they leave behind. For example a brain-drain of youth workers and a countries citizens abandoning it in a civil war damaging any chance of long term stability.
  • Options
    Personally I am ok with this family setting out for Syria..it will save a lot of benefits and if the Govt stops trying to find them it will save a lot more money..
  • Options
    edited August 2015

JEO said:

kle4 said:

I assume you are talking about economic migrants who are in effect illegals. And you make fair points.
    The movement of workers within the EU takes up most of our immigration and that issue is being rapidly taken over by economic migration from all over the world. I imagine most of these people are perfectly ordinary but that does not make much difference to the need to stop this movement for everyone's sake - not least those that end up dead in transit.
    Just to correct a small thing here: EU immigration is about 45% of our immigration, and EU workers will be only about 85% of EU migration. That means EU workers will be substantially less than a majority.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    JEO said:

<
    "We" have not decided to be one world with leaky boundaries. The Labour Party decided to do that, as a political decision, and then deliberately kept in quiet in the knowledge that your working class supporters would object. Now that it's happened, you're now saying "oh well, too late to turn back the clock". It is one of the many shameful things you have done in office that the party is still unwilling to apologise for.

No, I wasn't discussing Britain in particular, and I think you're making a mistake if you attempt to fit the issue neatly into a domestic political perspective - as antifrank points out, it's a general issue, of which British policy (whether good or bad) is only a contributory factor.

[snip]

Would you like to define "near" in your first paragraph in relation to the UK and also in relation to the outer borders of the Schengen area.
    Perhaps "Relatively easy to access"? It was very hard to get from, say, Syria to Britain 100 years ago. It is not as difficult now, because of the enormously increased transport flows and better organisation of both legal and illegal migration. Clearly the southern Schengen borders have a much more challenging problem, and it would be sensible to try to help at least manage the situation there, rather than merely at Calais.

• Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    I think that there are many different issues hiding within "immigration".

Asylum seekers (genuine ones) are relatively small numbers and could (and should) be welcomed. The flipside to this is that we need to be able to remove the non-genuine ones quickly and effectively, which means (I believe) a much more robust system of rapid decisions and removals, as well as fixing the "right to family life" judicial nonsense. The law states that you cannot gain from criminal enterprise, so we should use that here: if you have gained a family life while here illegally it shouldn't count.

Beyond that, deciding which immigrants we want and letting them in while effectively removing the rest is needed
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2015
    The key issue is what will be the consequences of the immigration views of the voters on the votes that they make over the course of the next few years?
    Osborne's Treasury have not been supportive to more border police, more border expense and clampdowns. He may have viewed that as, harming the prospects of Theresa May, being pro commerce and in line with austerity, but the political consequences look bad for Osborne in 2 ways.
    1. Damages the Conservatives "competence" image, a key factor at GE2020.
    2. Risks driving up the No vote in the EC referendum.

Thatcher for example increased police pay whilst bearing down on the size of the state. She knew that some expenditures are essential.
  • Options
    Gasman said:

I think that there are many different issues hiding within "immigration".

Asylum seekers (genuine ones) are relatively small numbers and could (and should) be welcomed. The flipside to this is that we need to be able to remove the non-genuine ones quickly and effectively, which means (I believe) a much more robust system of rapid decisions and removals, as well as fixing the "right to family life" judicial nonsense. The law states that you cannot gain from criminal enterprise, so we should use that here: if you have gained a family life while here illegally it shouldn't count.

Beyond that, deciding which immigrants we want and letting them in while effectively removing the rest is needed

From the point of view of the people who are most adversely impacted, we are very actively importing poverty. It would be well if our politicians could understand this point of view.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579

Cat Smith is a former office person in Jezza's MP Office.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    I think one of the reasons folks think immigration is more of a problem than the official statistics would suggest is that they don't capture both illegal immigrants and failed asylum seekers who just melt into the black economy. The Migration Observatory has recently published a briefing focused on asylum seekers:

http://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/migration-uk-asylum

I recollect reading somewhere that there could be as many as 800,000 illegal immigrants in the UK. The easiest way to clampdown on illegal immigration would seem to be going after their employers - restaurants, building sites, cleaning companies, minicab firms, farms and the chattering classes maids etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Calum.. where would you send these illegal immigrants back to..they have destroyed their papers and refuse to tell the authorities where they have come from.....just asking..
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Off-topic:

Could someone with access to today's Times kindly let me know the Top Five coastalk walks in the supplement? TIA.

Oh, and good article Antifrank.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Calum.. where would you send these illegal immigrants back to..they have destroyed their papers and refuse to tell the authorities where they have come from.....just asking..

A detention centre, until they are willing to confirm where they came from.
  • Options
    MP..SE.. For how many years and at what cost... a total field day for lawyers..
  • Options

I think clamping down on employers is one way of discouraging future illegal immigration. By preventing those who are caught from working and severally limiting their benefit entitlement - along with an offer of a free ticket home might help.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Border Control; don't make me laugh. Britain has no border controls; whatever control we had has been destroyed by membership of the EU.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I have to be honest, although obviously I have huge sympathy whenever a story about the asylum seekers comes on the news - if you told me they were going to put an asylum centre in my town, I wouldn't be happy about it.
  • Options
    Its not just immigration where the MSM has got folks confused - this piece from Yougov looks at how our taxes are actually spent versus folks perceived view:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/11/09/public-attitudes-tax-distribution/
  • Options

MP..SE.. For how many years and at what cost... a total field day for lawyers..

Indefinitely until they play ball. This would require a new approach to human rights law and on the plus side will mean less human rights lawyers.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    JEO said:

kle4 said:

Add to that list, more attacks on freedom of speech and thought.

Good post.

• Options
    Mike K.. You obviously don't go through Heathrow or Gatwick too often..
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, the New York Times's perspective:

http://nyti.ms/1MUknY1
  • Options
    MP..SE.. So you confine them in a place where they get free food,no bills,medical treatment,TV, Central heating,Air Con,fresh clothes, showers and ask them to divulge which horrendous shithole in Africa or elsewhere they came from..so that we can send them back there..that should work.. .
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

kle4 said:

Just to correct a small thing here: EU immigration is about 45% of our immigration, and EU workers will be only about 85% of EU migration. That means EU workers will be substantially less than a majority.
    Yes but we also have immigration from USA and Canada and Australia and NZ from out of the EU. And a significant part of immigration numbers is students. And of course correct about non worker EU immigration. Our own emigrant EU workers will be taking spouses and children with them and we have retirees moving abroad.

I believe that EU immigration has been good for our economy and that a good part of them over time will move back and the situation will stabilize.
    The greatest tragedy we have suffered is the parking of too many people on benefits. This having happened we now see how difficult in practice and politically it is to get them back into work. Its a pretty poor show that employers are happy to pay someone from Poland rather than someone from the UK.
    There is no glib solution to any of this but both immigration should be slowed and the need for it should be slowed and the driving force for migration throughout the world should be slowed. But and its a big but, the these movements of people are in force and in terms of people here - we must ensure they integrate as British people not as foreigners living in Britain.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Concentration camps in Germany - gee thats a good idea.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

For yet another perspective, here's that appalling Left-wing rag, City AM:

http://www.cityam.com/223260/tories-blame-business-rising-immigration

One of the problems is a multi-faceted issue is presented in a simplistic fashion - not all migrants are trying to jump on trains or lorries in Calais - the vast majority aren't.

The demand for skilled workers is clear and the relationship between economic growth and the influx of skilled labour is also striking but throwing the baby out with the bathwater seems the general response - we need skilled immigrants, we always have, we probably always will.

Encouraging skilled people to come to the UK to work and live and deliver economic growth should be something on which we all agree.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

The lawyers will indeed have a field day. But those who won't say where they come from should be held in barrack-type accommodation until they are identified beyond reasonable doubt by use of language, possibly DNA, and any other technique.

• Options

MP..SE.. So you confine them in a place where they get free food,no bills,medical treatment,TV, Central heating,Air Con,fresh clothes, showers and ask them to divulge which horrendous shithole in Africa or elsewhere they came from..so that we can send them back there..that should work.. .

I never said anything about the conditions being luxurious.

MP_SE said:

Didn't realise a detention centre for illegal migrants is the same as a concentration camp...
  • Options
    MP>>SE..These would be the basic human requirements that we should offer..not a concentration camp at all..as you would know if you had ever visited one..but even these restricted conditions might be mightily more preferable to them than being sent back home..
  • Options

MP>>SE..These would be the basic human requirements that we should offer..not a concentration camp at all..as you would know if you had ever visited one..but even these restricted conditions might be mightily more preferable to them than being sent back home..

Television and air con are not basic human rights.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

The British have never been refugees in their own land - it's hard for us to imagine what it would be like to be bombed by your own air force and shelled by your own army.

• Options
    MP ..SE Wanna tell that to the Human Rights lawyers ..so we confine them without basic communication to the outside world.. and make them suffer conditions they cannot control.. it must be remembered that we have to consider that the only crime these people have committed is to enter the country illegally....
  • Options

JEO said:

<

No, I wasn't discussing Britain in particular, and I think you're making a mistake if you attempt to fit the issue neatly into a domestic political perspective - as antifrank points out, it's a general issue, of which British policy (whether good or bad) is only a contributory factor.

[snip]

Perhaps "Relatively easy to access"? It was very hard to get from, say, Syria to Britain 100 years ago. It is not as difficult now, because of the enormously increased transport flows and better organisation of both legal and illegal migration. Clearly the southern Schengen borders have a much more challenging problem, and it would be sensible to try to help at least manage the situation there, rather than merely at Calais.

This is a cop out. Everywhere is easier to get to now than it was 100 years ago so illegal immigration from anywhere is inevitable - implication, why fight it. The same sort of logic that meant Labour left the door open to the first wave of Eastern Europeans.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Cat Smith is a former office person in Jezza's MP Office.
    This has been noted here previously and widens out the conspiracy theories directly involving JC and his office
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

I never said anything about the conditions being luxurious.

MP_SE said:

Didn't realise a detention centre for illegal migrants is the same as a concentration camp...
    It is not - but that is not the point is it. And is not this the problem with corralling these people into camps? The imagery. The other imagery is one of 70 men women and children dead in the back of a truck. There is no question that this is a big problem.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    All welcome :wink:
    ‘What big teeth you have!’: Monsters invade the classroom at University of Hertfordshire for the UK’s only werewolf conference

University of Hertfordshire to host groundbreaking three-day conference
    More than 50 international scholars set to entertain and educate the crowd
    Series relates the undead in literature to current affairs, gender and society
    Also features wolf games and visit to grave of the region's own 'wolf boy'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3215436/Monsters-invade-University-Hertfordshire-UK-s-werewolf-conference.html#ixzz3kEQZ8CsU
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Gasman

'Asylum seekers (genuine ones) are relatively small numbers and could (and should) be welcomed. The flipside to this is that we need to be able to remove the non-genuine ones quickly and effectively, which means (I believe) a much more robust system of rapid decisions and removals, as well as fixing the "right to family life" judicial nonsense.'

Agree,but for that to happen we need to dump the ECHR and start making our own decisions of who is eligible to stay.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    SeanT said:

This is a silly, stupid, sophomoric leader which takes a long time to say not much, and what it does say can be disproved in a second.

The Brits are worried about immigration because of the tabloids? Really? Perhaps they are concerned because of the facts. i.e. that Britain is right now experiencing its biggest wave of immigration since the formation of the English nation.

"In the late 1990s the pace and scale of migration increased to a level without historical precedent. Indeed the foreign born population of England and Wales more than doubled, increasing by nearly four million in the twenty years between the 1991 and 2011 censuses. It has now reached 13.4% of our population. This massive increase dwarfs the scale of any previous inflow in our history."

http://www.migrationwatchuk.com/Briefingpaper/document/48

Given that antifrank blithely ignores this most crucial point, we can equally ignore his specious ejaculation of piffle.

Next.

I appreciate that your skill is writing rather than reading (nice alliteration, by the way), but I was writing about the recent jump in concern about immigration. Twenty year time horizons don't tell us much about that.

Next.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited August 2015
    This speech by Enoch Powell "The Road to National Suicide" from 1977, accurately predicted what would happen in the event of continued mass immigration.

Read it and you will understand why immigration is the No1 issue in the UK

http://traditionalbritain.org/blog/road-national-suicide/

Excellent foresight here of the role of "Community leaders" and how the threat of violence from a minority of a minority combined with an establishment inclined to look the other way is like putting a match to gunpowder

"It is the business of the leaders of distinct and separate populations to see that the power which they possess is used to benefit those for whom they speak. Leaders who fail to do so, or to do so fast enough, find themselves outflanked and superseded by those who are less squeamish. The Gresham’s law of extremism, that the more extreme drives out the less extreme, is one of the basic rules of political mechanics which operate in this field: it is a corollary of the general principle that no political power exists without being used.

Both the general law and its Gresham’s corollary point, in contemporary circumstances, towards the resort to physical violence, in the form of firearms or high explosive, as being so probable as to be predicted with virtual certainty. The experience of the last decade and more, all round the world, shows that acts of violence, however apparently irrational or inappropriate their targets, precipitate a frenzied search on the part of the society attacked to discover and remedy more and more grievances, real or imaginary, among those from the violence is supposed to emanate or on whose behalf it is supposed to be exercised. Those commanding a position of political leverage would then be superhuman if they could refrain from pointing to the acts of terrorism and, while condemning them, declaring that further and faster concessions and grants of privilege are the only means to avoid such acts being repeated on a rising scale. We know that those who thus argue will always find a ready hearing. This is what produces the gearing effect of terrorism in the contemporary world, yielding huge results from acts of violence perpetrated by minimal numbers. It is not, I repeat again and again, that the mass of a particular population are violently or criminally disposed. Far from it; that population soon becomes itself the prisoner of the violence and machinations of an infinitely small minority among it. Just a few thugs, a few shots, a few bombs at the right place and time—and that is enough for disproportionate consequences to follow."
  • Options
    JZ..Which brings us back to the problem of where do we return these people to..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    An insight into life under President Trump

'The first thing you notice as you approach passport control is the warm yellow light. It reminds you of a summer sunrise, but it’s actually just the reflection from the spotlights glinting off a giant golden marquee above the portal that now welcomes each and every new arrival to America. “Welcome to the U.S.A.,” say the immense gilded letters, “The Classiest Country on Earth.”
    There’s something different about the customs officer who greets you. It is not just that she is impossibly cheerful — and with her cascading hair and her brilliant smile, she would remind you of a beauty queen if it weren’t for the badge and gun adorning her form-fitting, miniskirted uniform. She pulls a rubber stamp from an official U.S. government-issued garter belt, imprints your passport (assuming you are not a Mexican), and hands you a coupon book good for “the biggest discounts offered by any country in the world” as she welcomes you to the United States.
    It is only when you reach the exit that you begin to realize who else that cotton-candy hairdo and smile remind you of. That’s because by each doorway welcoming new arrivals into America there stands a shimmering hologram of the president of the United States, America’s emcee in chief, Donald Trump. The new president beckons you onward, and a recording repeatedly booms his voice repeating, “America! It’s for winners!” It’s not only a greeting. It’s the new national motto, having replaced “e pluribus unum” on U.S. currency. (“Latin is for losers. Like in Latin America, am I right?”)'
    https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/08/27/welcome-to-trumpmerica-donald-trump-gop-election/?utm_source=Sailthru&amp;utm_medium=email&amp;utm_campaign=New Campaign&amp;utm_term=*Editors Picks
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Pauly said:

Barnesian said:

To put it in percpective, Britain took in about 25,000 Asian Ugandans in 1972. In the period up to 2001, Britain took in 720,000 Irish (including my wife). 1.2% 0f the UK population was born in Ireland.

Very comprehensive analysis, I agree with it all. Another potential objection is the long-term damage to the country they leave behind. For example a brain-drain of youth workers and a countries citizens abandoning it in a civil war damaging any chance of long term stability.
    I agree the damage to the country they leave behind is a potential moral objection. But I suspect someone who is anti-immigration will not consider that as an objection!

With immigration we get hundreds of thousands of skilled people a year who have been educated in their own country at their own expense or their tax-payers expense. We save all that money on education and avoid a 15-20 year lead time. They are productive from day one and add something like 0.5% pa to our GDP from their production and income.

Osborne avoided his triple dip because of the extra 0.5% contribution of immigrants to GDP. We are an ageing population. We need to import many more skilled people to do the work. It might be immoral stripping other countries of their productive assets but it is definitely in our interests.

Germany and Ireland understand this and use immigration to manage their economies.

But we have a problem with the misconceptions and baseless fears in this country. Politicians and the media have a duty to deal with them.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    antifrank, I enjoy reading your essays. Only with some effort do I not often jump into their threads.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The British have never been refugees in their own land - it's hard for us to imagine what it would be like to be bombed by your own air force and shelled by your own army.

There is a due process for refugees which I don't see much reference to here. Illegal immigrants are not refugees.
  • Options
    @richardDodd

'JZ..Which brings us back to the problem of where do we return these people to.

Maybe time to try the Australian system where migrants are processed offshore,the genuine cases are allowed entry and the economic migrants either return home or stay put.
  • Options

MP ..SE Wanna tell that to the Human Rights lawyers ..so we confine them without basic communication to the outside world.. and make them suffer conditions they cannot control.. it must be remembered that we have to consider that the only crime these people have committed is to enter the country illegally....

Isn't that kinda like invasion
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    RC yes it is.. what are we going to do about it.. as a nation..Qualifying asylum seekers should be taken on board..what do we do with the ones who don't tell us where they come from..so that we can return them..I suppose the simple solution is to just shoot them..
  • Options
    SeanT said:

REALLY hard to work out why concern about immigration is at record levels.

http://www.migrationwatchuk.com/images/latest-immigration-stats/latest-im-stats.png

It must be the Daily Express. Must be. Also there was a column in the Yorkshire Post about Bangladeshi waiters.

A party that has been called a one trick pony obsessed w immigration has just got 13% in a GE despite the media doing them down at every opportunity
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

SeanT said:

http://www.migrationwatchuk.com/images/latest-immigration-stats/latest-im-stats.png

It must be the Daily Express. Must be. Also there was a column in the Yorkshire Post about Bangladeshi waiters.

A party that has been called a one trick pony obsessed w immigration has just got 13% in a GE despite the media doing them down at every opportunity
    Don't forget, that's actually an enormous failure because it falls short of the wildest hopes and dreams beforehand, nevermind a year before the GE they'd have been very happy with that result.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @Barnesian

'But we have a problem with the misconceptions and baseless fears in this country. Politicians and the media have a duty to deal with them.'

Wages cut,massive strains on the NHS,housing & schools not to mention overcrowding in London & the South East are misconceptions and baseless fears ?

You seem to be a long way from reality and the real world.

Are we in some sort of competition to see how many more people are needed before our services & systems completely collapse ?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Barnesian

'But we have a problem with the misconceptions and baseless fears in this country. Politicians and the media have a duty to deal with them.'

Wages cut,massive strains on the NHS,housing & schools not to mention overcrowding in London & the South East are misconceptions and baseless fears ?

Are we in some sort of competition to see how many more people are needed before our services & systems completely collapse ?

Wages cut - solution is higher minimum wage and crackdown on dodgy employers.

Massive strains on the NHS,housing & schools - immigrants are shoring up the NHS. Housing needs to sorted anyway but there is shortage of skilled labour. Immigrants can provide that.

overcrowding in London - I agree it can be unpleasant trying to get around central London. But it is mainly tourists. Would you ban them to allievate the overcrowding?

Objections need to be addressed rather than pandered to.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    stodge said:

Encouraging skilled people to come to the UK to work and live and deliver economic growth should be something on which we all agree.

Well, I'm sorry but I don't - well at least not 100%.

I DO agree with filling genuine skills shortages with immigrants.

However I DO NOT agree with
    a) Bringing in immigrants to do the job cheaper (1), or
    b) Bringing in immigrants to solve a skills shortage which could be remedied by a small amount of retraining of people who are already UK citizens.

DISCLOSURE. This is a point very close to home with me. In my business (IT) I am personally suffering because of it right now.

(1) I've seen this first hand.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Could we not have our Asylum processing centre in another country?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I have nothing against immigration (far from it in fact).

But the current obsession from certain politicians to prove how "non racist" they are, by allowing mass immigration no matter what the consequences, is absolutely crazy.

• Options

I have nothing against immigration (far from it in fact).

But the current obsession from certain politicians to prove how "non racist" they are, by allowing mass immigration no matter what the consequences, is absolutely crazy.

I agree - consequences (on many a front) is a big and largely ignored word.
  • Options
    Am I the only person on here who will admit to laying Corbyn heavily?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited August 2015
    Barnesian said:

john_zims said:

@Barnesian

Massive strains on the NHS,housing & schools - immigrants are shoring up the NHS. Housing needs to sorted anyway but there is shortage of skilled labour. Immigrants can provide that.

overcrowding in London - I agree it can be unpleasant trying to get around central London. But it is mainly tourists. Would you ban them to allievate the overcrowding?

' immigrants are shoring up the NHS.'

or you could put it ,immigrants are shoring up the NHS because a rise in our population down to immigration.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    @Barnesian

'Wages cut - solution is higher minimum wage and crackdown on dodgy employers.'

A higher minimum wage will have zero impact on skilled workers that are above that level but have seen their incomes fall.

'Massive strains on the NHS,housing & schools - immigrants are shoring up the NHS. Housing needs to sorted anyway but there is shortage of skilled labour. Immigrants can provide that'

The housing shortage is due to demand massively outstripping supply year after year, due to mass uncontrolled immigration.

'overcrowding in London - I agree it can be unpleasant trying to get around central London. But it is mainly tourists. Would you ban them to allievate the overcrowding? '

Nonsense, I have lived in London for the past 30 years,tourism didn't start 15 years ago !
    Since when did the overcrowded South East region become a massive magnet for tourists?.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited August 2015

What price ?

What's your thinking on that ? Are you laying him still or was this previously ? Are you going to let it run or try and reback higher or stop loss lower ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Don't forget, that's actually an enormous failure because it falls short of the wildest hopes and dreams beforehand, nevermind a year before the GE they'd have been very happy with that result.
    Of Course!

Its been all downhill since Farage took over at UKIP.. Euro win, By election wins, defections, record GE vote..

Why not get rid of him and replace with a woman who lost her seat on Merton council?! A few people on here have heard of her, she's not Farage, that's good enough
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Of Course!

Its been all downhill since Farage took over at UKIP.. Euro win, By election wins, defections, record GE vote..

Why not get rid of him and replace with a woman who lost her seat on Merton council?! A few people on here have heard of her, she's not Farage, that's good enough
    Now you're getting it.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

john_zims said:

@Barnesian

' immigrants are shoring up the NHS.'

or you could put it ,immigrants are shoring up the NHS because a rise in our population down to immigration.
    Many lefty do-gooders try to imply that the NHS will not function without immigrants. Whilst that may be true in the short term a huge push to train more doctors and nurses would solve that problem. Instead we employ 30 doctors from Sierra Leone, leaving them with the grand total of 130.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    SeanT said:

I recommend every pb-er looks at the horrific images I just linked, of Syrian kids, drowned off the Libyan shore, trying to reach Europe.

Here they are again. Be warned. You won't unsee them.

http://tinyurl.com/o923gwr

Now check if you are "concerned" about immigration. You might feel that we are facing a crisis which needs to be addressed. Alternatively you may have been manipulated by the media, or something.

That is really horrific. Appalling.

It is a mega crisis that needs to be addressed.

What are possible solutions?

1. Pick them all up from the sea or the coast and bring them to the EU and distribute them fairly among the nations. I suggest that is politically impossible, at least in the UK.

2. Pick them all up from the sea or the coast and return them to the land they've just left. Big logistics. Could work.

3. Sort out Libya, Syria, etc so they don't want to leave. Good luck with that one.

Any other suggestions? Wringing our hands isn't a solution.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Barnesian

A higher minimum wage will have zero impact on skilled workers that are above that level but have seen their incomes fall.

'Massive strains on the NHS,housing & schools - immigrants are shoring up the NHS. Housing needs to sorted anyway but there is shortage of skilled labour. Immigrants can provide that'

The housing shortage is due to demand massively outstripping supply year after year, due to mass uncontrolled immigration.

'overcrowding in London - I agree it can be unpleasant trying to get around central London. But it is mainly tourists. Would you ban them to allievate the overcrowding? '

Nonsense, I have lived in London for the past 30 years,tourism didn't start 15 years ago !
    Since when did the overcrowded South East region become a massive magnet for tourists?.

Have a look at the South East Region, say Sussex or Kent on Google maps satellite. Plenty of space. Not like central London.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Immigration doesn't bother me personally but the fact is 90% of people think it's too high and in a democracy a movement will eventually come to prominence which espouses that view.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Barnesian said:

john_zims said:

@Barnesian

Have a look at the South East Region, say Sussex or Kent on Google maps satellite. Plenty of space. Not like central London.
    Most villages and small towns throw an absolute fit for building even small numbers of housing even for local british people.
    AndyJS said:

Immigration doesn't bother me personally but the fact is 90% of people think it's too high and in a democracy a movement will eventually come to prominence which espouses that view.

I'm generally of the same view - I've never been knowingly affected in a negative fashion by it, but the general view is overwhelming. It would be tough to argue against that.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    isam said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

SeanT said:

Of Course!

During the election campaign, I praised the UKIP manifesto, saying it was more professional and coherent than their joke 2010 one. I said that unbidden, and I am far from being a friend or follower of the party. Suzanne Evans was responsible for that coherent and professional manifesto (which it was, even if I did disagree with much of its content).

She's also the party's deputy chair.

And your point about her lack of electoral success also applies to Farage: he is only an MEP due to the crass closed-list PR system, and he's failed to get into parliament an incredible seven times. At least she gained a seat on a council - which is more than Farage has done - even if it was for another party.

I understand you don't rate her, but you should. If she can raise praise from me, who is hardly a UKIP fan, then you should perhaps consider taking her seriously.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What price ?

What's your thinking on that ? Are you laying him still or was this previously ? Are you going to let it run or try and reback higher or stop loss lower ?
    At much higher odds than now. I find it hard to believe they are that stupid as to elect him leader and intend to lay much more to bring the average to a better price when the hysteria starts to subside. I read on here that backing NOM was free money when I was laying it. I don't have a great deal of confidence in my views on this one but I think the value is once again in opposing the collective wisdom of the forum.