Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With just a week to go before voting starts Corby is back a

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,994
    Mr. Foxinsox, a good definition.

I take a similar view. I think we need a measured foreign policy, somewhere between Alexander the Great, Hannibal Barca and Julius Caesar.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    JEO said:

Danny565 said:

Plato said:

Wondered why Gordon hasn't commented? He's moved his family to LA California, really. Their kids are at school in San Fernando Valley.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4521143.ece

I always thought Mrs. Brown had her head screwed on. She certainly isn't going to let her children grow up and be educated in the UK that her husband buggered up. Sensible woman.
    She has instead gone to a country where the government isn't in the grip of hysterical Austerity-mania.
    Jerry Brown, the Democrat governor of California, has substantially cut spending in recent years. They have more sensible leftists than we do.

http://madashelland.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/19992012CaliforniaStateSpending.png
    wow I thought Jerry Brown went out with the Dead Kennedys.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I take a similar view. I think we need a measured foreign policy, somewhere between Alexander the Great, Hannibal Barca and Julius Caesar.

You mean that we should invade France.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, something Caesar and Hannibal had in common ;)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited August 2015

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

One of tomorrow's threads might compare a modern day politician to Hannibal
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I'm guessing Trump or Corbyn, with their leading status as surprising as the Alpine march?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2015
    What the hell have Channel 5 done to Football League Show....it is like a dumbed down Soccer AM.

15 minutes of the show and seen bugger all football, just lots of nonsense like Michael Vaughan Periscoping some inane stuff about Sheffield Wednesday.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

It's a consumer survey of "total readership", apparently, so may well be dominated by the online edition, especially for younger readers. With the Times behind a paywall, the Mail online rather downmarket compared to the paper itself, and the Telegraph's web offering a bit of a mess, there is a shortage of "serious" centre or centre-right news content online. I guess many of those readers would have been more naturally at home with one of the other papers I mentioned.

Plato said:

I find that statistic really rather hard to believe re right of centre readers. 10-15% is plausible, but 33%?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/03/analysing-the-balance-of-our-jeremy-corbyn-coverage

This is really quite interesting. According to the Guardian's own figures, about a third of its under-35 readership regard themselves as "right of centre" politically. Older Guardian readers are substantially more likely to identify as left-wing. This despite the electoral demographics pointing the other way, in that older people are more likely to vote right-wing in general.

I think is spot on analysis of the situation, plus how did they determine left / right. To many old school Guardian readers somebody like David Cameron is massively right wing.

The only problem for the Guardian managing to attract people outside of its traditional demographic readership, is a bit like twitter vs Facebook...the young might all be into their twitter but they haven't got much money and Facebook is making oodles as it is the tool that 30-40 years old use.

I bet the eyeball of a standard Mail / Times user is significantly more valuable than Guardian.
    As a real life younger person on the centre-right who reads the Guardian daily... my impression is that online Mail readers are ladies in desk jobs seeking light entertainment at lunch (a la football news for men); Guardian readers are ladies into feminism and men into football; each easily lets you do a three-minute hate. Social media followed by a web search is how people find out a scarily big amount of "serious" news; few young people read the paywalled media because we've never bought into those brands by being paper readers; while the FT, for those lucky enough to have an office subscription, is the best UK news website by far.

I would add that:
    1. Few under 30 (even 35?) will have regularly purchased a newspaper, or have had it purchased for them by an employer.
    2. Visiting individual articles on a website is an easier ideological commitment than handing over money for a bundle of opinions.
  • Options

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

Except that MacMillan likely never ever said "Events"!

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Harold_Macmillan#Disputed
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, I'm guessing Trump or Corbyn, with their leading status as surprising as the Alpine march?

Wait and see
  • Options

What the hell have Channel 5 done to Football League Show....it is like a dumbed down Soccer AM.

15 minutes of the show and seen bugger all football, just lots of nonsense like Michael Vaughan Periscoping some inane stuff about Sheffield Wednesday.

Match of the Day still exists, it's on at 10.20.
  • Options

Mr. Llama, something Caesar and Hannibal had in common ;)

And no doubt Alexander would have done so too but for an accident of geography. No I can't agree that it would be a good plan; invasions are so 20th century. I mean look at the last time we invaded France (1944) it cost us a bloody fortune in blood and treasure but we got bugger all back. No, whilst the idea of sending 3 para on a chevauchée from Harfluer to Calais might have some appeal at the visceral level, we need something more up to date and I think we are doing quite well at just that.

London is now, in terms of population, something like the sixth biggest French city. Not only that those 300,000 or so Frogs are amongst the brightest and the best that country has to offer. We are in fact conquering France from within and in the not too distant future the remnants of the French population will beg to come under the English crown once again, if only so they can get some decent chefs back.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, if he'd lived and kept on going West after returning to Macedon he might've had a shot at beating the Mongols for largest ever land empire.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Spectators at Trent Bridge today missed out on a full refund by 2 balls. 10.2 overs were bowled; if it's 10 overs or less you get a 100% refund. As it is they'll get a 50% refund.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2015

Match of the Day still exists, it's on at 10.20.
    Its getting worse, they don't even show goals / highlights from the various leagues in order...instead jumping about all over the place. Whoever came up with this show wants shooting.

Come back the boring plodding late night BBC highlights show, at least with that I knew when various teams highlights might actually be shown.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Private polling klaxon

Private polling by the Burnham camp shows outsider Ms Kendall only five points behind Ms Cooper.

Ms Kendall is expected to drop out after the first round and her second preference votes be distributed among the others.

Mr Burnham’s supporters say that if the Shadow Health Secretary is the next to go, Mr Corbyn will win.

But if Shadow Home Secretary Ms Cooper falls instead, then Mr Burnham will triumph.

http://bit.ly/1f0r79t

Literally, exactly, completely, 100%, what suits Burnham's campaign best.
  • Options

Private polling klaxon

Private polling by the Burnham camp shows outsider Ms Kendall only five points behind Ms Cooper.

Ms Kendall is expected to drop out after the first round and her second preference votes be distributed among the others.

Mr Burnham’s supporters say that if the Shadow Health Secretary is the next to go, Mr Corbyn will win.

But if Shadow Home Secretary Ms Cooper falls instead, then Mr Burnham will triumph.

You're such a cynic.

Everyone knows private polling is never leaked by the person it is most favourable to.
  • Options
    Mr. Rabbit, it's a remarkable coincidence that Burnham's polling is very good for Burnham. I am shocked and also surprised. My unfettered astonishment is enough to make me remove my glasses, clean them rapidly, and replace them in order to once again read the poll results such is their unexpected nature.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    EPG,

Do you really describe yourself as "centre-right"? You've always seemed very critical of Cameron and conservatism in general, and always from the left.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Private polling klaxon

AV seems guaranteed to turn everyone in to liars. Who says PR is so wonderful?
  • Options

Mr. Llama, if he'd lived and kept on going West after returning to Macedon he might've had a shot at beating the Mongols for largest ever land empire.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.transport.london/sunil$20knockholt/uk.transport.london/S6EDzPHWQds/_1nnI0Cb8HoJ
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

I saw that. I see Shadsy has her as 33/1 for leading Labour at the next election. I think that worth a punt, assuming Corbyn does not last the distance. Stella seems not to have wound up the party as much as the small yet perfectly formed Liz K. She also seems to have support both in Parliament and in Constituencies.
    Agreed, 33-1 is an excellent price, even though Tom Watson is well ahead on nominations. It's easy to imagine Creasy outshining the leader one way or another, and by 2019 people will mainly be focused on having a winner. A reservation is that her PLP support is limited - she's seen as "ambitious", which is not always meant as a compliment. But she's Realpolitik Labour rather than Blairite, and most members will see that as a reasonable way forward. In my patch, her campaign is being championed by some of the strongest Corbyn supporters.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Spectators at Trent Bridge today missed out on a full refund by 2 balls. 10.2 overs were bowled; if it's 10 overs or less you get a 100% refund. As it is they'll get a 50% refund.

So spectators are effectively being paid to see England retain the Ashes?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    BREAKING: The Sunday People on why they're backing #Andy4Leader :
  • Options

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

Except that MacMillan likely never ever said "Events"!
    Does it matter? The quote - to whoever it is alleged - exists and deserves attribution.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

AndyJS said:

So spectators are effectively being paid to see England retain the Ashes?
    £42,50 for 62 balls

Bargain
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    JEO said:

EPG,

Do you really describe yourself as "centre-right"? You've always seemed very critical of Cameron and conservatism in general, and always from the left.

I think it would probably be an interesting thing to compare, how even among particularly politically conscious people whether there is a disconnect between how they would describe themselves and how others would describe them. Or in fact, whether such a disconnect is even more pronounced among politically conscious people - sometimes tribal loyalties might make someone miss that, inasmuch as the left-right spectrum has any use, they have drifted quite a bit.
  • Options
    @suttonnick: Sunday Telegraph front page: Top Labour donors to pull cash if Corbyn wins

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL6hX-9WwAASSa4.jpg
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @STJamesl: Labour at breaking point over industrial-scale infiltration says former general secretary - @thesundaytimes tomorrow
  • Options
    I'm taking this to mean the Deputy Leader candidates think Corbyn's going to win

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CL6hoz1WwAA1-BE.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015

@suttonnick: Sunday Telegraph front page: Top Labour donors to pull cash if Corbyn wins

It feels like I'm always hearing Labour's financials are in terrible shape - is that really the case, does anyone know? I mean, how much money do they really need outside GE time anyway?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709

Private polling klaxon

AV seems guaranteed to turn everyone in to liars. Who says PR is so wonderful?
    As TSE would no doubt correct you, AV is not PR. :-)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It feels like I'm always hearing Labour's financials are in terrible shape - is that really the case, does anyone know? I mean, how much money do they really need outside GE time anyway?
    The next 9 months are really expensive.

You've got a leadership election, Scottish and Welsh devolved elections, London Mayoral and Assembly elections to fund.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I've just realised that until just now, after checking, I've never actually been aware of exactly what Claus IV was, despite knowing the generalities and how the 'claus IV moment' was important.

I may have to hand in my political wonk credentials. Also don't ask me what Act 'Section 28' was a section of.
  • Options
    JEO said:

EPG,

It just looks that way because the PB comments consensus is firmly (a) pro-Conservative Party and (b) to the right on topics like migration.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 709
    kle4 said:

I've just realised that until just now, after checking, I've never actually been aware of exactly what Claus IV was, despite knowing the generalities and how the 'claus IV moment' was important.

I may have to hand in my political wonk credentials. Also don't ask me what Act 'Section 28' was a section of.

Off the top of my head, the Local Government Act, but may be wrong on that.

EDIT: Yes, the Local Government Act 1988. :-)
  • Options

Outside of the unions, I didn't think Labour had any donors of any real significance these days.
  • Options

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

Except that Macmillan likely never ever said "Events"!
    Does it matter? The quote - to whoever it is alleged - exists and deserves attribution.

Where and when did Macmillan say it?
  • Options

kle4 said:

The next 9 months are really expensive.

You've got a leadership election
    More than 1, perhaps?

Nah, we wouldn't be that lucky I guess. I guess the Tory one is probably the next neatest one of those, depending on the outcome of the referendum.
  • Options
    @SkyNews: THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY: 'Corbyn: 'I'll bring back Clause Four' #skypapers http://t.co/DibY2Vwotb
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I guess that if Corbyn is elected the party will give him 2-3 years and if and when he's 20 points behind in the polls he'll be asked to vacate the job.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited August 2015

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

Pretty sure Macmillan said the word "events" at some point or another. ;)
  • Options

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.transport.london/sunil$20knockholt/uk.transport.london/S6EDzPHWQds/_1nnI0Cb8HoJ
    Avast, Cap'n Doc! Thanks for the read, I enjoyed that. It was fifteen years ago though, what have you conquered since? Belike, else.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

But not with "dear" and "boy" together :)
  • Options

RobD said:

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

Nah, he said it to me down the boozer a while ago.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@SkyNews: THE INDEPENDENT ON SUNDAY: 'Corbyn: 'I'll bring back Clause Four' #skypapers http://t.co/DibY2Vwotb

It just gets better and better.

2015 is sure a Vintage year.
  • Options

RobD said:

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

Sunil, do you know who did say "Events dear boy" ?

Me, just then.

Also, I have a favour to ask, on your travels, have you taken a photograph of the Limehouse station sign?

If so, can you email/tweet it to me.

I need it for an upcoming thread.
  • Options
    @MrStevenJones: .@Corbyn4Leader is happy for Derek Hatton et al to come back into the Party. #Labourleadership (via: @janemerrick23) http://t.co/dkpUrj1AEw
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    edited August 2015
    The direct quote on clause 4 seems rather more waffley than the Independent headline

“I think we should talk about what the objectives of the party are, whether that’s restoring the Clause Four as it was originally written or it’s a different one, but I think we shouldn’t shy away from public participation, public investment in industry and public control of the railways.

“I’m interested in the idea that we have a more inclusive, clearer set of objectives. I would want us to have a set of objectives which does include public ownership of some necessary things such as rail.”
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Keep off the newsgroups Sunil, that's where trolls used to practice their skills, when it was a refined under the radar skill.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    HYUFD said:

What do you call an Australian who's good with a bat? A vet

Ozzie Osbourne?

• Options
    AndyJS said:

I guess that if Corbyn is elected the party will give him 2-3 years and if and when he's 20 points behind in the polls he'll be asked to vacate the job.

The Miliband example is that he could end up 10 points ahead after 2-3 years and keep his job, even though he's not really going to get results like that because opinion polls are utter bunkum.

He might anti-surpass that though.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I think Corbyn might now just be having a laugh. It seems that whatever old rubbish he comes out with there are Labour types who are prepared to say it would be a great policy. Nobody has baulked at the 1970s crap re terrorist groups, so he moves on to re-opening the coal mines. People lap it up!

Never mind that Corbyn is also in favour of green energy or the fact that the coal miners have gone and their sons are too sensible to want to work in some dark and dangerous hole in the ground. Re-open the coal mines, Hurrah! At that point Corbyn perhaps thought, How far can I push this? I know, re-introduce clause 4 - the workers control the means of production - surely nobody is going to fall for that shit in the 21st century. I bet that some do though.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

RobD said:

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

Sunil, do you know who did say "Events dear boy" ?

Me, just then.

Also, I have a favour to ask, on your travels, have you taken a photograph of the Limehouse station sign?

If so, can you email/tweet it to me.

I need it for an upcoming thread.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Limehouse+station+SIGN&biw=1536&bih=730&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCsQ7AlqFQoTCMzY-pq4mscCFcwSLAodBYoBUw

• Options

Avast, Cap'n Doc! Thanks for the read, I enjoyed that. It was fifteen years ago though, what have you conquered since? Belike, else.
    You're welcome, Mr Llama!

In 2009, a day off at work (I was still then in London) resulted in me visiting Birmingham northbound on the West Coast Main Line to New Street, coming back on the Chiltern Main Line from Snow Hill, as well as a hop on the Midland Metro tram as far as Wolverhampton!

In 2011, after a brief stint in Colorado, where I actually managed to the whole of the Denver "RTD" tram network (or at least the lines open back then), I did every London Transport and National Rail route within about 50 miles from Central London (thus places such as (but not limited to) Brighton, and Polegate to the south, Colchester and Ashford to the east, Cambridge and Bedford to the north, and Oxford and Newbury to the west).

In 2012, interview visits took my intrepid band of warriors to Leicester and Sheffield on the Midland Main Line, Alderley Edge (between Crewe and Manchester), Bristol on the Great Western, and the most arduous campaign so far, as far north as Leuchars in Scotland, via Edinburgh! Also started volunteering on Epping Ongar, so did that former Tube line too - almost as far west as Epping Tube station, but just 100 yards short!

In 2013 another interview visit took me to Birmingham University, a short hop from New Street, as well as Coventry, and after starting work in the Midlands, I did Leamington to Coventry by the end of that year.

2014 brought huge swathes of the West Midlands under my suzerainty, basically everything on the West Midlands Day Ranger Map, as well as the Severn Valley heritage railway. Places my battle-hardened troops reached included Gobowen (near Oswestry), Worcester, Hereford, Tamworth, Nuneaton, Stratford (the other Stratford!), Northampton, Redditch, Lichfield, Rugeley, Stoke and Crewe. Also did Oxford to Banbury, technically not on the Day Ranger Map.

Before the election this year, thanks to my ELBOW opinion polling, ah, "addiction", I didn't do much more, apart from the Nuneaton to Leicester line. But since the election, with the paucity of polling, my forces were eager for more campaigning, so we've marched from Tamworth to Derby, Leicester to Peterborough, and from there to Cambridge via Ely. Also Worcester to Oxford via Evesham, Worcester (and Birmingham) to Cheltenham, and from there to Swindon via Gloucester and Stroud. We even managed to capture the Welland Viaduct on the rare daylight trains from Oakham to Kettering via Corby!

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    edited August 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

I thought you were twenty years old or something! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    RodCrosby said:
    How terribly rude of them

Edit: I assume the Mail wouldn't have printed this without MI5's permission, implying such a plot may have been foiled?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Corbyn seems to be playing a game of "what can I get away with?".

First the railways

Then the energy companies

Then re-opening the mines

No Clause 4?!!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Depending on

i) events

ii) if I can finish it

I thought you were twenty years old or something! :open_mouth:
    'Twas the ghost of Macmillan.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Evening comrades.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    edited August 2015

First the railways

No Clause 4?!!

But what about the free owls? Best idea Miliband ever had.

We want owls. We want owls. We want owls!
  • Options

You're welcome, Mr Llama!

In 2009, a day off at work (I was still then in London) resulted in me visiting Birmingham northbound on the West Coast Main Line to New Street, coming back on the Chiltern Main Line from Snow Hill, as well as a hop on the Midland Metro tram as far as Wolverhampton!

In 2011, after a brief stint in Colorado, where I actually managed to the whole of the Denver "RTD" tram network (or at least the lines open back then), I did every London Transport and National Rail route within about 50 miles from Central London (thus places such as (but not limited to) Brighton, and Polegate to the south, Colchester and Ashford to the east, Cambridge and Bedford to the north, and Oxford and Newbury to the west).

In 2012, interview visits took my intrepid band of warriors to Leicester and Sheffield on the Midland Main Line, Alderley Edge (between Crewe and Manchester), Bristol on the Great Western, and the most arduous campaign so far, as far north as Leuchars in Scotland, via Edinburgh! Also started volunteering on Epping Ongar, so did that former Tube line too - almost as far west as Epping Tube station, but just 100 yards short!

In 2013 another interview visit took me to Birmingham University, a short hop from New Street, as well as Coventry, and after starting work in the Midlands, I did Leamington to Coventry by the end of that year.

2014 brought huge swathes of the West Midlands under my suzerainty, basically everything on the West Midlands Day Ranger Map, as well as the Severn Valley heritage railway. Places my battle-hardened troops reached included Gobowen (near Oswestry), Worcester, Hereford, Tamworth, Nuneaton, Stratford (the other Stratford!), Northampton, Redditch, Lichfield, Rugeley, Stoke and Crewe. Also did Oxford to Banbury, technically not on the Day Ranger Map.

Before the election this year, thanks to my ELBOW opinion polling, ah, "addiction", I didn't do much more, apart from the Nuneaton to Leicester line. But since the election, with the paucity of polling, my forces were eager for more campaigning, so we've marched from Tamworth to Derby, Leicester to Peterborough, and from there to Cambridge via Ely. Also Worcester to Oxford via Evesham, Worcester (and Birmingham) to Cheltenham, and from there to Swindon via Gloucester and Stroud. We even managed to capture the Welland Viaduct on the rare daylight trains from Oakham to Kettering via Corby!

Impressive, Cap'n. You must have lots of photos. Have you ever thought of setting up a web site to display them? The "Adventures of Cap'n Sunil", perhaps or "Eat your heart out, Odysseus"
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    edited August 2015
    I noticed that some PBer's are having fun with the opening of the coal mines.

Some years ago I was chatting to a friend in the Coal Board about coal fired power stations and he told me that they had the scrubbing and cleaning technology perfected back in the 1970`s.

The then government didn't use it because of cost. Politically or otherwise.

Updating the technology solutions should cost peanuts today. Unless, of course, somebody has "lost" the files.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Edit: I assume the Mail wouldn't have printed this without MI5's permission, implying such a plot may have been foiled?
    There were similar stories about dissident republicans before the 2012 Olympics, Islamists attacking the Royal Wedding in 2011, threats to the Queen around the anniversary of the start of the Great War last year, and probably others.

It looks like the standard operating procedure to have such anonymous briefings in the press before major events. I suppose it is intended to make some of the hundreds of potential suspects panic and show their cards.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Some years ago I was chatting to a friend in the Coal Board about coal fired power stations and he told me that they had the scrubbing and cleaning technology perfected back in the 1970`s.

Updating the technology solutions should cost peanuts today. Unless, of course, somebody has "lost" the files.

Of course they did, just it was not carbon capture and storage which is what we now must have. So scrubbers that clean all the unhealthy, polluting stuff but which leave in CO2 are not good enough. We must not put CO2 into the atmosphere!
  • Options

First the railways

No Clause 4?!!

But what about the free owls? Best idea Miliband ever had.

We want owls. We want owls. We want owls!
    No, Ed's best idea was the Ed Stone!
  • Options

Impressive, Cap'n. You must have lots of photos. Have you ever thought of setting up a web site to display them? The "Adventures of Cap'n Sunil", perhaps or "Eat your heart out, Odysseus"

Ahoy there Mr Llama, I have a "few" in Wikipedia. The link to my list of photos is here:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ListFiles/Sunil060902&ilshowall=1
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    glw said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

There were similar stories about dissident republicans before the 2012 Olympics, Islamists attacking the Royal Wedding in 2011, threats to the Queen around the anniversary of the start of the Great War last year, and probably others.

It looks like the standard operating procedure to have such anonymous briefings in the press before major events. I suppose it is intended to make some of the hundreds of potential suspects panic and show their cards.
    "In a separate development this newspaper can disclose that British Special Forces are watching migrants in Calais and Dover to detain IS terrorists attempting to enter Britain."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3190706/Jihadis-VJ-plot-bomb-Queen-Police-MI5-race-against-time-foil-Boston-style-IED-spectacular-Saturday.html#ixzz3iGQKyOxZ
  • Options

OchEye said:

Of course they did, just it was not carbon capture and storage which is what we now must have. So scrubbers that clean all the unhealthy, polluting stuff but which leave in CO2 are not good enough. We must not put CO2 into the atmosphere!
    Maybe we should stop humans and animals breathing out CO2!
  • Options
    @EPG

I don't think the PB consensus on immigration is any different to the general public, where 50% want to reduce it a lot, and 20% want to reduce it somewhat. Is it correct to say you're in the 30% that wish to maintain current levels or expand it?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

OchEye said:

Erm, yes. But it would seem that you have no idea about scrubbing and cleaning technology CO2 removal is not a major problem. Just ask a chemistry o level student how to do it at a basic level.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

glw said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

"In a separate development this newspaper can disclose that British Special Forces are watching migrants in Calais and Dover to detain IS terrorists attempting to enter Britain."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3190706/Jihadis-VJ-plot-bomb-Queen-Police-MI5-race-against-time-foil-Boston-style-IED-spectacular-Saturday.html#ixzz3iGQKyOxZ
    We have to stop processing people's applications who make it in. It's hard to think of a more absurd policy situation. We use fences and dogs and guards to keep people out, but if they manage to avoid them all, we reward them. How does that make any sense at all?
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Erm, yes. But it would seem that you have no idea about scrubbing and cleaning technology CO2 removal is not a major problem. Just ask a chemistry o level student how to do it at a basic level.
    Fine, I accept I am ignorant. Now show me where carbon capture and storage is working at an industrial level.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Ahoy there Mr Llama, I have a "few" in Wikipedia. The link to my list of photos is here:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ListFiles/Sunil060902&ilshowall=1
    Some very nice photos there, Cap'n, but they could do with being displayed in some sort of context. Maybe the adventures of Cap'n Doc isn't the best way (though I reckon it would be the most entertaining), but it is a waste to leave them uncatalogued.
  • Options
    What is Miliband's favourite London railway station?

Ed Stone Lane :)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Headstone_Lane_stn_roundel.JPG?uselang=en-gb
  • Options

Some very nice photos there, Cap'n, but they could do with being displayed in some sort of context. Maybe the adventures of Cap'n Doc isn't the best way (though I reckon it would be the most entertaining), but it is a waste to leave them uncatalogued.
    Thanks for the nice words, Mr Llama! Maybe when I have time I may arrange them on a website of my own.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

What is Miliband's favourite London railway station?

Ed Stone Lane :)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Headstone_Lane_stn_roundel.JPG?uselang=en-gb

I really don't think it is! His problem with Labour voters was that he'd Turnham Green.....
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    The Trump nonsense continues.

In an interview today he said that Megyn Kelly was having her period during the debate.

He was promptly dis-invited to Redstate tailgate here today at the College Football Hall of Fame, where he was the headline speaker.

His top strategist, Roger Stone, has resigned in a sign of problems within the Trump campaign.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

In an interview today he said that Megyn Kelly was having her period during the debate.

He was promptly dis-invited to Redstate tailgate here today at the College Football Hall of Fame, where he was the headline speaker.

His top strategist, Roger Stone, has resigned in a sign of problems within the Trump campaign.

The Trump campaign was inevitably going to combust at some point. Whether that is now or in three months time remains to be seen. What matters is where his supporters go. There seem to be three credible candidates: Bush, Walker, and Rubio. Bush is pro-immigration, and Rubio is Hispanic. That means Walker will likely benefit.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JEO said:

Tim_B said:

The Trump campaign was inevitably going to combust at some point. Whether that is now or in three months time remains to be seen. What matters is where his supporters go. There seem to be three credible candidates: Bush, Walker, and Rubio. Bush is pro-immigration, and Rubio is Hispanic. That means Walker will likely benefit.
    Bush's wife Columba is Mexican and Bush is bi-lingual.

If Trump picks up his ball, goes home and runs as an independent, that will hand the election to the Dems. Trump was a Dem for much longer than he's been a Republican.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    For those who haven't seen it, Carly Fiorina in full flow after the debate with lefty Chris Matthews on lefty trash network MsNBC, who memorably said that when he hears Obama speak, a shiver runs up his leg. She actually shut the bully up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyxLGc0RDZc
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236
    HYUFD said:

Cromwell said:

If the LP end up with say 400,000 voters , split roughly 50/50 between old and new members , then I suspect that about 60-70% of those new voters to be Corbynites ; I also expect at least 20-25% of old members to be voting for Corbyn too ....the LP have got to quickly unify behind Cooper if they are to have any chance of stopping this runaway train

Why? Cooper polls worse than Burnham and Corbyn and yougov had her third with members too
    ==============================

I don't believe that ...the more the voters see of of Burnham , the more they dislike him ; he is a lousy campaigner , a real wet lettuce with zero leadership qualities ...he almost came last in the 2010 campaign ...I think he will be a poor third , just ahead of Kendall
    Leadership is about inspiring confidence and how exactly will he inspire confidence when he clearly lacks confidence in himself ?

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited August 2015
    Tim_B said:

How do you rate Carly's chances? She's had some good coverage and to me she appears the most eloquent and engaging. I expect that she'll see quite an increase on her predebate polling figure of 2%.

She'd also be quite tricky for the Clinton campaign.

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Tim_B said:

For those who haven't seen it, Carly Fiorina in full flow after the debate with lefty Chris Matthews on lefty trash network MsNBC, who memorably said that when he hears Obama speak, a shiver runs up his leg. She actually shut the bully up.

Would she be a decent Veep pick?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Nagasaki commemoration begins...

"The first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment. . . . It was a mistake to ever drop it. . . . [the scientists] had this toy and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it. . ."
    - Admiral William F. Halsey, 9/9/1945

"...the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower, Ike on Ike, Newsweek, 11/11/1963
  • Options

Tim_B said:

How do you rate Carly's chances? She's had some good coverage and to me she appears the most eloquent and engaging. I expect that she'll see quite an increase on her predebate polling figure of 2%.

She'd also be quite tricky for the Clinton campaign.

She is definitely the winner from Thursday's debates. She has had huge exposure and been talked up by all the networks.

She sticks to facts, chooses her words carefully, is in command of her brief and is not intimidated by anyone.

I think she will receive a substantial boost from Thursday.

Can she beat Walker, Bush, Rubio et al? We are at the beginning of a marathon, not a sprint. It all depends whether she can raise money after her debate performance. I'm sure her team is reaching out to donors already.

It is much too early to say she can win. She totally dominated the 'happy hour' debate - we need to see how she does with the big boys in California next month.

Hillary's whole schtick is this imaginary 'war on women', and helping the middle class. The Clintons have made more than $25 million in speech fees in the last 18 months, she got $5 million for her book 'Hard Choices', and she admits she has not driven a car since 1996.

Carly started as a secretary in a 9 person real estate office.

A debate between them would be worth the price of admission. She is the ultimate anti-Hillary.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Would she be a decent Veep pick?
    See my response to OGH. It's too early, but having a woman on the ticket against Hillary would be interesting. If she's veep pick, she would only get to debate with the Dem veep pick
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

JEO said:

Tim_B said:

Bush's wife Columba is Mexican and Bush is bi-lingual.

If Trump picks up his ball, goes home and runs as an independent, that will hand the election to the Dems. Trump was a Dem for much longer than he's been a Republican.
    @ JEO You're missing Kasich from the credible candidates. I think in terms of expectations, he was the biggest winner of the adults' debate.

See this story from the WP of the Establishment starting to think of a viable ticket, with a Kasich/Rubio being a potential winning formula.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-leaders-say-erratic-attacks-hurt-trump-but-he-vows-to-fight-and-win/2015/08/08/915a183c-3de6-11e5-8e98-115a3cf7d7ae_story.html

I have been watching Kasich for over a year now and was worried he would not get in the race. Walker outshone him initially as the Mid-Western GOP governor candidate, but I don't think Walker is ready for prime time on international and security issues, whereas Kasich is. Although Jeb has to figure in the frontrunners because of the name and the money advantage, I still think that his failure to pull ahead of the pack already is indicative that he will not end up with the nomination. So that leaves Rubio, who'd been fading in the run up to the debate, Walker (he is the least ready of the top runners) and Kasich, who is surging (relatively speaking) but whose problem in terms of the nomination is that he is a centrist. Pairing Kasich with Rubio doesn't just tie in two key swing states for the GE, it also bridges the Centrist/Conservative divide within the GOP.
  • Options
    The world must be coming to an end. I actually agree with an analytical piece by Ezra Klein.

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/8/9121377/donald-trump-megyn-kelly

At least Paul Krugman is still talking crap.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    For what it's worth, my strongest opinion / emotion about the leadership election is that I don't want Andy Burnham to win. I think the reason is emotional rather than logical: I don't like his northern accent, and he looks a bit grumpy.

Logically, Jeremy Corbyn would be disastrous because being Leader of the Opposition is a serious job which requires being a viable alternative to the incumbent government ("sometimes tea, sometimes not tea"). We can't just rely on him being too left-wing to get elected into government (because we never know what "events" might happen to derail a government), but at the same time I would laugh if he did actually become leader, because it would be funny and he is actually sincere about things.

By process of elimination, therefore, I would "prefer" Yvette Cooper to win. Historically, it's high time that Labour had its first elected woman leader, and being Mrs Balls doesn't actually matter in the great scheme of things.

(Liz Kendall is irrelevant).
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I always think of Arthur Scargill as "Aarthur Scaargvark".
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    RodCrosby said:

"The first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment. . . . It was a mistake to ever drop it. . . . [the scientists] had this toy and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it. . ."

"...the Japanese were ready to surrender and it wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing."

Is that sound of a hobby-horse being vigorously ridden I here ? ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Indigo said:

RodCrosby said:

If you think revulsion at the vaporization of women and children - in manifestly the single greatest war crime in human history - is worthy of the term "hobby-horse" I suggest you find a mirror and look into it. Deeply.

Then smash it, lest it look back at you with contempt...
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    RodCrosby said:

Indigo said:

RodCrosby said:

If you think revulsion at the vaporization of women and children - in manifestly the single greatest war crime in human history - is worthy of the term "hobby-horse" I suggest you find a mirror and look into it. Deeply.

So that's a yes.

You forgot to quote Pres Truman:
    The atom bomb was no “great decision.” It was used in the war, and for your information, there were more people killed by fire bombs in Tokyo than dropping of the atomic bombs accounted for. It was merely another powerful weapon in the arsenal of righteousness. The dropping of the bombs stopped the war, save millions of lives.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

RodCrosby said:

Indigo said:

RodCrosby said:

So that's a yes.

You forgot to quote Pres Truman:
    The atom bomb was no “great decision.” It was used in the war, and for your information, there were more people killed by fire bombs in Tokyo than dropping of the atomic bombs accounted for. It was merely another powerful weapon in the arsenal of righteousness. The dropping of the bombs stopped the war, save millions of lives.
    And so you take the word of a failed-haberdasher, utterly ignorant of foreign affairs and the war situation when he was thrust into the Presidency, over Eisenhower, Halsey, Leahy, Nimitz, Hoover, MacArthur, Nitze, Zacharias, Clarke et al....

• Options
    @ RodCrosby. No need to impugn those who disagree with you. Dropping the bomb is not manifestly the greatest war crime of history. It was a decision, which the person making the decision described as a way to end the war quickly. On what basis to you challenge that?

The Halsey and Eisenhower quotes actually run against the evidence. Japan had not surrendered and Okinawa was a bloodbath just days before dropping the bomb. The US marines had just lost nearly 10,000 men in 12 days taking one 50 foot high 300 yard long hill. The three month battle for Okinawa had cost 40% of US combatants (over 100,000 of 250,000, dead, injured or psychiatric casualties) and a total of around 350,000 casualties (both sides and civilians). Japan did not surrender upon Hiroshima, only doing so with the Nagasaki bomb. If they were indeed on the brink of surrender before Hiroshima, then they would have surrendered immediately after the first bomb.

Nuclear bombs are indeed horrific. Quite how horrific was not realized until after dropping the two bombs in Japan. It is easy to judge historical figures harshly in hindsight - with far more information and changed moral compasses. But ultimately what happened 70 years ago is done. It is how we act on the information we have now that matters.