Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LD leadership race where NOT being anti-immigration cou

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LD leadership race where NOT being anti-immigration could be a vote winner

With the Lib Dem leadership race drawing to a close the favourite, ex-party president Tim Farron, according to the Observer, has said that the UK should take 60,000 immigrants to help deal with the current crisis. According to Toby Helm’s report:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Tim nice but dim goes against the mood of the whole country.

Well done Tim.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Well done Tim.

How conceited you are to claim that you can talk for the whole country. You don't.

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    "The LD leadership race where NOT being anti-immigration could be a vote winner"

Or, as any decent sub-editor would put it,
    "The LD leadership race where being PRO-immigration could be a vote winner"

Hashtag Double Negative
    Hashtag Convoluted Wording
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2015

Well done Tim.

I think you're right, Nigel.

This tim nice but dim guy should be standing on a platform of hunting down and hanging the immigrantz. The country would love it.

Every single seat would turn yellow.

or not.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    It may help him win the LD leadership, whether it helps the LDs to win votes may be another matter entirely....it will be hung around his neck from here to the day he steps down. The Mail will love "Farron Immigrant on Murder charge"
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    This call will help Farron reinforce his liberal credentials which have come under attack from some quarters in the campaign.

Like when Christianity trumped Liberalism?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    'This call will help Farron reinforce his liberal credentials which have come under attack from some quarters in the campaign.'

I guess he needs to do something to prove his credentials after not voting in favor of same sex marriage.

Whilst this may be popular with some Lib Dem members it would be deeply unpopular with the majority of voters as every poll shows immigration is the number 1 concern among voters.

Still it gets him a soundbite for a day.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Can we assume Mr Farron is happy to accept say 10000 in his sparsely populated 99.9 per cent white Westmoreland constituency - or will they be dumped out of sight on poor council estates in inner cities.

It's very easy to be liberal on this issue - when you know full well it's not your street or town they will be moved into.

Indeed why doesn't he take say half a dozen into his own home - I am sure he has the room!
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited July 2015
    This isn't different to other parties: the SNP and Labour are also very pro-mass immigration.

Is the proposal to take in 60,000 as a one-off, or to do it every year? Is this in place of some of the existing half million immigrants that presently arrive through other channels, or in addition?
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    We let in 600,000 last year so another 60,000 won't hurt. And who will decide which 60,000 we let in? And where will they go?

Just more soundbite nonsense from a party that was obliterated because of messages like this.

I've read on here Cameron is a lucky PM, I bet he can't believe his luck looking at the candidates for leadership of the libs and labour. He is potentially making a pigs ear of things at the moment and nobody is holding him to account, they're too busy waving their willies at a tiny % of the population who will be voting.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    That was the stupidest statement made by Farron ever.

He didn't need to make it in order to get the LD leadership, he was miles ahead anyway.
    Before his stupid statement no one had anything bad to say about him, now they have and big time too.
    The chances of a LD revival have just slimmed down, you won't get votes with stupid policies like Farron's or Lamb's.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    There are many people who hold the view that we should help more of these immigrants, and this position will appeal to them.

As an aside, Turkey has taken in 1.7 million refugees from Syria, many of whom have been settled in the interior.

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49e48e0fa7f.html
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Oh and bad news.
    There won't be an exit poll of the greek referendum, so unfortunately I won't be able to find it before the polls close.
    Only a single normal opinion poll will be published, but hopefully I will have some sense of where are things going by the afternoon.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    There are clearly many tragically needy refugees in the world. If we were to let in 60 000 then how should we choose?

Probably the way to pick out the least needy is to pick those who are:

Single
    Male
    Have the ability to travel
    Have the ability to negotiate with people traffickers
    Have cash resources in liquid form that exceed the percapita GDP of many African nations.
    Can travel across borders without material support.
    Can get to Calais and live in the forest for weeks
    Can break through the port security
    Can sucessfuly break into or bribe a truck driver to stow them away.

If we were to invent a Darwinian system to pick out the least vulnerable refugees we could hardly come up with a worse selection system! Meanwhile the highest risk refugees are being raped and slave traded.

• Options
    I admire Farron's stance, if that's what he believes then good for him, but it is completely irresponsible for a senior politician. No doubt he'll talk about the benefits of immigration and how it will help the economy.

Let's look at the people in Calais: where are they from, what are their skills, what languages do they speak, have they been vetted for criminality etc etc.

Farron needs to decide if he wants to take in women and children on purely humanitarian grounds, or if he means economic migrants who have no means of answering the questions I raise above.

The libs might agree with his stance, it is after all an internal poll, but statements like his will alienate the majority of the electorate.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    It's sad to see the LDs return so quickly to the freedom and irresponsibility of perpetual consequence-free opposition after wasting their first chance for generations to govern.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

He didn't need to make it in order to get the LD leadership, he was miles ahead anyway.
    Before his stupid statement no one had anything bad to say about him, now they have and big time too.
    The chances of a LD revival have just slimmed down, you won't get votes with stupid policies like Farron's or Lamb's.

Stupid? On what do you base that? If it is just because the view doesn't chime with. yours then you are the stupid one.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Farron needs to decide if he wants to take in women and children on purely humanitarian grounds, or if he means economic migrants who have no means of answering the questions I raise above.

He's talking about refugees. Men can be refugees as well though, not just women and children.
  • Options
    felix said:

It's sad to see the LDs return so quickly to the freedom and irresponsibility of perpetual consequence-free opposition after wasting their first chance for generations to govern.

I think that the real choice for LD's like me is between Lamb who was an active member of the Coalition government, and has drawn some lessons from it, and Farron who always kept his distance from it.

The refugee crisis was not a great deal different last year. What did Farron say then, when we had a sizeable LD presence in government?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited July 2015
    Interesting stuff in STimes - BBC to foot bill for free TVLF for over 75s - all 4.5m of them, and wealthy people to pay *own way* if resident in social housing. Earners of over £40k in London or £30k elsewhere must pay full market rents.

Poor old Frank Dobson... and a fair number of others will finally have to suck it up. http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1577215.ece
  • Options

He's talking about refugees. Men can be refugees as well though, not just women and children.
    Of course, but the migrants at Calais aren't refugees. Farron has a problem, if he's trying to win over libs to win the leadership election he can say what he wants. If he's trying to win votes nationally for the libs he's misguided. Most people would happily take in vulnerable people from war zones, there is little appetite to take in the people in Calais who have paid smugglers, crossed Europe, destroyed their documents and are now storming the tunnel.

If I'm going to vote liberal I want him to clearly define who the 60,000 are.

• Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Matt on form (as ever)...
    Simple, Free Image and File Hosting at MediaFire
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Plato said:

Interesting stuff in STimes - BBC to foot bill for free TVLF for over 75s and wealthy people to pay *own way* if resident in social housing. Earners of over £40k in London or £30k elsewhere must pay full market rents.

Poor old Frank Dobson... and a fair number of others will finally have to suck it up.

The social housing change is absolutely spot on. I do hope it will affect Scargill.
  • Options
    Apparently c300 000 people will have to pay full market rents - blimey.

And with the move re Free TVLF - the responsibility for giving them out will be up to the BBC to decide from 2020, not HMG. Neat footwork there.

Plato said:

Interesting stuff in STimes - BBC to foot bill for free TVLF for over 75s and wealthy people to pay *own way* if resident in social housing. Earners of over £40k in London or £30k elsewhere must pay full market rents.

Poor old Frank Dobson... and a fair number of others will finally have to suck it up.

The social housing change is absolutely spot on. I do hope it will affect Scargill.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Speedy said:

Oh and bad news.
    There won't be an exit poll of the greek referendum, so unfortunately I won't be able to find it before the polls close.
    Only a single normal opinion poll will be published, but hopefully I will have some sense of where are things going by the afternoon.

No wins.

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

Plato said:

I doubt it will apply to pensioners.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Today's refugees are nothing like the Ugandan asians.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Speedy said:

Stupid? On what do you base that? If it is just because the view doesn't chime with. yours then you are the stupid one.
    It's stupid because of his answer to the interviewer who asks him this: "Mr Farron, I can understand that your position to take 60,000 refugees from Africa and the Middle East seeking a better life shows your credentials as a "good European" and is very much in line with a long tradition of Liberal values. But what do you do when, spurred by the goal of a better, safer life in a European country, the next 10 million set off over the Med in leaking little boats? And what do you say to those already living in poverty in this country, who say it is a slap in the face to them?"

Either Farron does believe in a truly open door policy - in which case I would suggest he has lost a chunk of even the 8% who voted LibDem in 2015. Or else it is just empty gesture politics, that does nothing to understand and solve the underlying problem.
  • Options
    FPT. I agree with OGH that Kendall can reach voters that other Labour leadership candidates can't. She can also lose them, of course, to say nothing of Party members and TU endorsements. If you think there's a case for three Tory parties (UKIP being the second) please let us hear it :)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited July 2015
    Well done to Tim for sticking to his principles, and to Mr Smithson senior for doing likewise.

Politically, a minefield.

Genuine asylum seekers should be welcome. Those in real fear in their native country - we have a long and noble history of taking them in.

Of the economic migrants, some will benefit the country and some will not. I think most people would welcome the former.

The political problem for the LDs is that this will be spun as a welcome for the world's ne'er do wells, for ISIS terrorists, and for those from parts of the globe with narrow, old-fashioned views - those who will never integrate.

A 'brave' decision.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Farron what a prat..
  • Options

Speedy said:

It's stupid because of his answer to the interviewer who asks him this: "Mr Farron, I can understand that your position to take 60,000 refugees from Africa and the Middle East seeking a better life shows your credentials as a "good European" and is very much in line with a long tradition of Liberal values. But what do you do when, spurred by the goal of a better, safer life in a European country, the next 10 million set off over the Med in leaking little boats? And what do you say to those already living in poverty in this country, who say it is a slap in the face to them?"

Either Farron does believe in a truly open door policy - in which case I would suggest he has lost a chunk of even the 8% who voted LibDem in 2015. Or else it is just empty gesture politics, that does nothing to understand and solve the underlying problem.
    What he ought to say is simple. "Madam Interviewer, it is time that we recognised that the possession of a white skin is an unmerited privilege. As is the possession of English as a first language."

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Plato said:

Interesting stuff in STimes - BBC to foot bill for free TVLF for over 75s - all 4.5m of them, and wealthy people to pay *own way* if resident in social housing. Earners of over £40k in London or £30k elsewhere must pay full market rents.

I'm (just) in this wage category - and own a modest ex council house. It's astonishing that people like me should be subsidised, and wrong.
  • Options

Not least because the Ugandan Asians were British nationals already, but also were whole families. They were flown directly from Kampala to the UK, not required to travel overland through the Sahel, then buy their way past the people smugglers of Libya.

• Options
    IA If the income of the pensioner is high then it should affect them too.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    If we're going to take 60k immigrants, it should NOT be the ragtag bunch threatening violence and loss of livelihood to our truckers in Calais. It's full of single opportunistic (And frankly criminal) young men.

The Lebanon is struggling to cope with the huge immigration crisis on it's borders. We can find frankly more 'worthy' refugees there than the shysters at Calais.
  • Options

Not least because the Ugandan Asians were British nationals already, but also were whole families. They were flown directly from Kampala to the UK, not required to travel overland through the Sahel, then buy their way past the people smugglers of Libya.

In other words, to-day's African economic migrants have the entrepreneurial skills this country is supposed to need above all else.

Still - and if Nigerians seeking exit visa may be taken as a proxy for Africans as a whole - four-fifths of them want to live in the USA, not here or anywhere else in Europe.
  • Options
    Plato said:

And with the move re Free TVLF - the responsibility for giving them out will be up to the BBC to decide from 2020, not HMG. Neat footwork there.

Plato said:

Sometimes you look at a policy that has been changed, and ask yourself - why the hell was it not like that in the first place.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Farron what a prat..

What a nasty person you sound lacking basic common decency.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Damned fool Farron is. It's that kind of nonsense that makes it almost impossible to see myself ever voting Lib Dem. Farron might love the euro-sausage, but the electorate (Largely) do not.

Mr. 16, welcome to pb.com, and I agree with your debut post. It's like Robertson of the SNP being pro-immigration when relatively few will go to Scotland and practically none to his own constituency.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Well done to Tim for sticking to his principles, and to Mr Smithson senior for doing likewise.

Genuine asylum seekers should be welcome. Those in real fear in their native country - we have a long and noble history of taking them in.

Of the economic migrants, some will benefit the country and some will not. I think most people would welcome the former.

The political problem for the LDs is that this will be spun as a welcome for the world's ne'er do wells, for ISIS terrorists, and for those from parts of the globe with narrow, old-fashioned views - those who will never integrate.

A 'brave' decision.

The abuse of "asylum seeker" status is endemic. It has got to the point where even making a claim of asylum is as good as it being granted, given the monumental backlog and then the difficulty in repatriation even after any eventual finding against the claimant. And that is a story that gets back to those who make the journey.

But there is a broader point that Mr Farron needs to answer. By accepting those young, purposeful men (they are invariably men) looking for a better life beyond their brutal regimes, then who is left to agitate against and overturn those regimes? The old, the young, the sick, the unable. Those are the people whose hope of a better life is greatly diminished by your proposal, Mr Farron. The warlords and dictators must take great comfort that their position is a little more secure with every pissed off citizen who leaves their country.

Where would South Africa be today if we had accepted political asylum en masse from the members of the ANC?
  • Options
    Took the words out of my mouth. I'm astonished.

It's like inheriting non-dom status - WTF? That's going too apparently.
    Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Sometimes you look at a policy that has been changed, and ask yourself - why the hell was it not like that in the first place.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

There are clearly many tragically needy refugees in the world. If we were to let in 60 000 then how should we choose?

Single
    Male
    Have cash resources in liquid form that exceed the percapita GDP of many African nations.

If we were to invent a Darwinian system to pick out the least vulnerable refugees we could hardly come up with a worse selection system! Meanwhile the highest risk refugees are being raped and slave traded.

You'd also be choosing those who were most likely to be able to contribute to the economy when they got here.
  • Options
    F1: my pre-race guessing. Hard to call value because the top 2 and top 6 all seem settled, but 7-10 could be very competitive.

http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/united-kingdom-pre-race.html
  • Options
    An Old Labour friend of mine, used to work in Asylum & Immigration in Hastings. His experience of the fraud, system abuse, 39 week pregnant *asylum seekers from Nigeria* and on and on caused him to drop Labour and vote UKIP. And he's so pissed off with Labour that he freely talks about it. He confessed to voting Kipper as he knows I'm a Tory :wink:

He's been working in the NHS his entire working life - mostly in mental health and has seen it all. And not impressed by the lead swingers.

CD13 said:

A 'brave' decision.

The abuse of "asylum seeker" status is endemic. It has got to the point where even making a claim of asylum is as good as it being granted, given the monumental backlog and then the difficulty in repatriation even after any eventual finding against the claimant. And that is a story that gets back to those who make the journey.

But there is a broader point that Mr Farron needs to answer. By accepting those young, purposeful men (they are invariably men) looking for a better life beyond their brutal regimes, then who is left to agitate against and overturn those regimes? The old, the young, the sick, the unable. Those are the people whose hope of a better life is greatly diminished by your proposal, Mr Farron. The warlords and dictators must take great comfort that their position is a little more secure with every pissed off citizen who leaves their country.

Where would South Africa be today if we had accepted political asylum en masse from the members of the ANC?
  • Options

In other words, to-day's African economic migrants have the entrepreneurial skills this country is supposed to need above all else.

Still - and if Nigerians seeking exit visa may be taken as a proxy for Africans as a whole - four-fifths of them want to live in the USA, not here or anywhere else in Europe.
    I think that there is a great deal of difference between entrepeneurialism and people trafficking. Not least respect for the rule of law, a core British value.

It is interesting to see how the Ugandan Resettlement board worked, with active attempts at education, English language lessons, education in British social mores and keeping family life intact:

http://www.asiansfromuganda.org.uk/uganda_resettlement_board.php

Ugandan Asians were actively helped, not given leave to remain and left to fend for themselves.
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, given the glut of immigration it's hard to imagine that level of support even being possible without it being an industry in itself.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Single
    Male

You'd also be choosing those who were most likely to be able to contribute to the economy when they got here.
    I think that is confusing asylum and immigration. Asylum is a way of helping the vulnerable, while immigration has other purposes.
  • Options
    If Farron's "let them in" promise impacts on the voters memories it could reduce the LD MP numbers to 1 or 2. At the next GE the LDs could be an asterisk.
  • Options
    Whether or not Farron is a prat is irrelevant. In the last 2 weeks thousands of people have been seriously inconvenienced in Kent, partly through industrial action in Calais but also through the actions of people acting criminally in storming the channel tunnel. As we approach the holiday season and Farron's target market try to drive their Volvos to their gites in the Dordogne I'm interested to see their reaction.
  • Options

Mr. Foxinsox, given the glut of immigration it's hard to imagine that level of support even being possible without it being an industry in itself.

It is the way to make resettlement work. Otherwise we just store up problems for the future.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I tripped across a BBC3 docu on white slums in SA the other day - the ex Blue Peter presenter was GOBSMACKED that anti-white racism could even be a *thing*. He's very middle-class and nice and black. It was BBC2 fodder with unbeeped swearing IMO.

He was truly agape for large chunks of the programme. Funny ole world when the tables turn.

CD13 said:

A 'brave' decision.

• Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, or we limit immigration to 1990 levels.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    So Farron thinks that swamping the UK with immigration/migrants is a good idea..

Imagine the Daily Heil headlines.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

antifrank said:

Single
    Male

I think that is confusing asylum and immigration. Asylum is a way of helping the vulnerable, while immigration has other purposes.
    I meant of the pool of asylum seekers. We get outraged at lots of young single men who are relatively affluent and fit trying to get into and stay in our country indefinitely. But if we were choosing to honour our part of a collective obligation, who would you most want to pick?

Whether that is moral is another question. But if I were a cynical government I would be accepting these as asylum seekers then exhorting our EU fellow members to show solidarity by taking their fair share of the rest.
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, hard not to laugh at this:
    "....then exhort our EU fellow members to show solidarity by taking their fair share of the rest."

Reminds me of Blair giving up half the rebate for a promise on CAP reform.
  • Options
    The Mail is the most read paper by LDs IIRC

So Farron thinks that swamping the UK with immigration/migrants is a good idea..

Imagine the Daily Heil headlines.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Somewhat crass to compare 60,000 illegal and economic migrants to the Ugandan Asians, many of which were UK citizens and British colonial workers. – Still, a brave decision by Tim.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Idi Amin was of course the Last King of Scotland :wink:
    EDIT the book is a great read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-King-Scotland-Giles-Foden/dp/0571232884

Morning all.

Somewhat crass to compare 60,000 illegal and economic migrants to the Ugandan Asians, many of which were UK citizens and British colonial workers. – Still, a brave decision by Tim.

• Options

Mr. Antifrank, hard not to laugh at this:
    "....then exhort our EU fellow members to show solidarity by taking their fair share of the rest."

Reminds me of Blair giving up half the rebate for a promise on CAP reform.

It's basically exactly the stunt that Germany has just tried to pull.
  • Options
    Dr Fox,

"It is the way to make resettlement work. Otherwise we just store up problems for the future."

That sounds good but it would be very labour-intensive. Hence, there would have to be a limit on the numbers.
  • Options
    OGH..Regardless of what you think of me..Farron is, and will remain,..a prat..
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    From Tele
    George Osborne will signal deep spending reductions for Whitehall, with up to one in four civil servant jobs [100k posts] expected to go by 2020
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, ah, Germany, the masters of Europe.

We're not in their situation, either regarding the EU or immigration. If they want to take migrants, good for them. It shouldn't affect British policy.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

"It is the way to make resettlement work. Otherwise we just store up problems for the future."

That sounds good but it would be very labour-intensive. Hence, there would have to be a limit on the numbers.

It was also the way displaced persons camps post war worked:

http://www.polishresettlementcampsintheuk.co.uk/

The investment in integration and resettlement bore fruit in the long term. Letting feral and desperate young men in, who often owe money to criminal trafficking gangs, then denying them legitimate means of support, is hardly comparable.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Farron is a fruitcake, he is the perfect leader for the almost extinct Tory lap dog Liberals.
  • Options
    The LDs have to choose between the Lamb - the who? candidate, and Farron - the rage, rage against the dying of the light candidate.

But I suspect they will gradually pick up again as some NOTAs return.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Speedy said:

He's saying it was an unnecessary move that will not change the outcome of the LD contest (Farron was going to win anyway) but will negatively impact the change of a LD recovery.

May be he's right, may be he's not. But it doesn't give you call to insult him.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Sunday Times/Panelbase poll

Scottish Independence

Yes to Indy 47%

No to Indy 53%

Poll also finds

It also finds that close to half of all voters in Scotland believe people who live here but come from England or other parts of the UK should not be entitled to vote again if another referendum on independence were to be held.
  • Options
    agingjbagingjb Posts: 76
    Meanwhile the Chagos Islanders are still on Mauritius, not in their stolen home islands. Not much sign of Lib Dem concern during their brief time of influence.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Scottish Independence

Yes to Indy 47%

No to Indy 53%

Poll also finds

It also finds that close to half of all voters in Scotland believe people who live here but come from England or other parts of the UK should not be entitled to vote again if another referendum on independence were to be held.

Yet the fragrant Nicola and the entire SNP were having kittens over the principle of EVEL while nearly half of her own countryman wish for only SVSL

• Options

Scottish Independence

Yes to Indy 47%

No to Indy 53%

Poll also finds

And presumably that Scots living in England or New Zealand should have votes. In other shock news, 20% of UKIP voters want racially mixed marriages banned.

Push-polling forever!

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    I can sympathise with what Farron is saying and, at least on some levels, respect him for saying it.

We now have a situation where there are low hundreds of thousands of refugees ending up in Italy. This is a result of geography and is arguably a European problem rather than an Italian one. British navy ships rescue these people from the sea and then dump them on the Italians. Thanks guys.

What to do with these people is a real dilemma. Personally, I think they have to be returned to their point of origin so the message is given out that spending your family's savings dealing with these thugs and terrorists and risking your life in the med is not a good idea. If you don't do that then the flow will simply increase.

The EU has not taken this view. It has asked its member states to share the burden of caring for these people. We have refused. As we are, through our Navy, contributing to it in a modest way that is pretty shameful and Farron is right to say so. I think the policy is wrong but given the policy of non return we should indeed help.

I also think Foxinsox is right to point to what we did for the Ugandan Asians. The way we treat asylum seekers in this country is shameful but it is again a deliberate policy designed to discourage them and reduce their numbers to something deemed politically acceptable. To claim we have a "proud record" in this area is simply untrue. We don't and it is deliberate because we don't want them to come here. It is as simple as that. Look how we are responding to the Syrian crisis.

For me, there should always be a place for a genuinely Liberal party willing to point out our hypocrisy and make us uncomfortable. They are a force for good and will occasionally make us rethink our selfishness.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The EU has not taken this view. It has asked its member states to share the burden of caring for these people. We have refused. As we are, through our Navy, contributing to it in a modest way that is pretty shameful and Farron is right to say so. I think the policy is wrong but given the policy of non return we should indeed help.

I think that is pretty harsh.

As you say, there is a very good reason for returning to point of origin or, at least, to a safe non-EU location.

But the EU has decided not to take that view. However, we have an explicit derogation from accepting EU policy on matters such as this, so we have chosen to stick to our guns.

I think the activities of the Royal Navy people from the water is admirable. I wish they would put them elsewhere, but to blame us for "contributing to the problem" when we have recommended an alternative course of action is risible.

Or are you saying we should let the migrants drown rather than drop them off in Italy?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited July 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Same with the so called 'bedroom tax'. Why on earth wasnt housing benefit based on family need size in the first place?

It is worth arguing that housing association and council tenants on the incomes above should actually pay a service charge over and above the market rate to compensate the taxpayer for the unnecessary occupation of social housing. The truth is that a secure tenancy in itself adds a massive value to the tenant above the market rate for similar private rental properties.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    Clearly there are a bunch of rightwingers/UKIP tendency on this site who believe immigrants are all either criminals, scroungers or a drain on society. Sir Nicholas Winton died this week. If he had tried to bring in 669 children these days, you would have all been lined up with the rightwing press, demanding they be refused entry. And then there are the Ugandan Asians. And the whites who fled Rhodesia. Ashamed of the callousness, selfishness and inhumanity exhibited by a large number of people who seem to lack the ability to think "there but for the grace of God go I".
  • Options

Yes, many of the entrepreneurial skills involve wide scale housing benefit fraud and identity theft.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Presumably, these 60,000 grateful immigrants will help Farron's proposal to grow the party membership by 100,000 before the next election :-)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    MrsB said:

Clearly there are a bunch of rightwingers/UKIP tendency on this site who believe immigrants are all either criminals, scroungers or a drain on society. Sir Nicholas Winton died this week. If he had tried to bring in 669 children these days, you would have all been lined up with the rightwing press, demanding they be refused entry. And then there are the Ugandan Asians. And the whites who fled Rhodesia. Ashamed of the callousness, selfishness and inhumanity exhibited by a large number of people who seem to lack the ability to think "there but for the grace of God go I".

You cant pretend that for the good there comes no bad. For every ugandan asian, i raise you a 7/7 bomber, for every rhodesian farmer, i raise you a thousand groomers deliberately picking on white young teens to rape.
  • Options

If Farron's "let them in" promise impacts on the voters memories it could reduce the LD MP numbers to 1 or 2. At the next GE the LDs could be an asterisk.

Has there been any polling on what the Great British Public want to do about this problem?

(Yes, I know polling is currently a dirty word, but it's all we have to go on aside from anecdata).
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

As you say, there is a very good reason for returning to point of origin or, at least, to a safe non-EU location.

But the EU has decided not to take that view. However, we have an explicit derogation from accepting EU policy on matters such as this, so we have chosen to stick to our guns.

I think the activities of the Royal Navy people from the water is admirable. I wish they would put them elsewhere, but to blame us for "contributing to the problem" when we have recommended an alternative course of action is risible.

Or are you saying we should let the migrants drown rather than drop them off in Italy?
    I think we need to return them to their point of origin as I have said. Nothing else works. The flaw in Farron's well meaning Liberalism, much though I respect it, is will we take another 60K next month, the month after and the month after that?

Africa has improved in some respects but is still spinning off hundreds of thousands of people who believe that there has to be a better life somewhere else. They are right. They will have a better life if they make the promised land. It is a difficult issue.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

I think we need to return them to their point of origin as I have said. Nothing else works. The flaw in Farron's well meaning Liberalism, much though I respect it, is will we take another 60K next month, the month after and the month after that?

Africa has improved in some respects but is still spinning off hundreds of thousands of people who believe that there has to be a better life somewhere else. They are right. They will have a better life if they make the promised land. It is a difficult issue.
    I agree with all of that.

But why do you think the role of the Navy is shameful?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    @marqueemark

Indeed. The problem with this approach by Farron is this very abuse. I would like to think that where persecution exists we can be a safe haven for anyone under threat. It's not always going to be possible though even withe best will in the world. The original " political Asylum" system has been so abused that it is today virtually meaningless. Those most in danger are now hidden in the "white noise" of economic migrants and chancers.

The general public also no longer differentiate between the two and to them they are all like the ones they see jumping on lorries screened on their TV's into their lounges every evening. There is huge concern about this and the amounts we are forced to pay if they get lucky and make it across the channel. Meanwhile innocent truck drivers and companies are having their business held up, additional costs imposed and fines if they should be unlucky to be the target of a free ride.

On top of all of that previously we as a country determined who could enter based on merits of the case.now we re dictated to by some faceless, unelected bureaucrat in Brussels what we have to do even if we don't like it. I would also not put it pass them to select all the difficult ones and send them here in the 60k.

Sorry this was a very poor decision by Farron. If he wins then hopefully this will be hung around his neck consistently. It's irrelevant anyway TBH because I suspect they are effectively finished as a mainstream party anyway. That's a shame because in amongst them there were good people but as always drowned out by the left liberLs that should have moved into Labour years ago.
  • Options
    MrsB said:

I also thought of him when reading this thread header. Why are we not accepting hundreds of children from those desperate Syrian refugee camps? There are plenty of orphans to go around.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

As long as they do not return them to where they came from , the problem will escalate. We are only encouraging the problem.
  • Options
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

The role of the Navy is not shameful. They are saving lives. What is shameful, as Farron has pointed out, is that those rescued are then dumped in Sicily and are, apparently, no longer our problem.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Speedy said:

What he ought to say is simple. "Madam Interviewer, it is time that we recognised that the possession of a white skin is an unmerited privilege. As is the possession of English as a first language."

What a strange response. There is no evidence at all that non-white english are strong supporters of more immigration. Odd that you should bring colour into the debate at all. Maybe you just hate white people. who knows and who cares?
  • Options

Has there been any polling on what the Great British Public want to do about this problem?

(Yes, I know polling is currently a dirty word, but it's all we have to go on aside from anecdata).
    We have General Election polling data, which suggests that the Liberal tradition is now overshadowed by the Keep 'em Out! of UKIP... Hard to see how the LibDems start fighting for the None of the Above vote with open-door immigration.

Which does lead into the notion of what if the LibDems get to be king-makers again, holding the balance of power: would Farron insist that his position on the asylum seekers/economic migrants prevails? You can see a situation where a sizeable majority of the voters would be dead against allowing it, yet their wishes are over-ruled by the junior party. Not hard to see why coalition governments (and hence any LibDem route to relevance) is out of favour...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MrsB said:

I also thought of him when reading this thread header. Why are we not accepting hundreds of children from those desperate Syrian refugee camps? There are plenty of orphans to go around.
    Resettling whole families, particularly those from discriminated minorities likely to be unable to return to their homelands, such as Yazidi or Assyrian Christians would seem to me a much more compassionate approach. They would also be more likely to integrate well.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Good policy line this by Farron - shoring up the Lib Dem's core vote of 5% of the electorate
  • Options

You could get very different polling answers on this issue depending on the way the question was phrased.
  • Options

You could get very different polling answers on this issue depending on the way the question was phrased.
    Indeed, but it would be nice to know if there was any data at all.

Perhaps I've got rather liberal associates, but a few people (mainly mothers in various toddler groups) have been saying we should let some/all in.

Although there is always the chance that people who think the opposite dare not face the wrath of mothers. ;)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    DavidL said:

MrsB said:

Morning all. Are we not better off providing funds and equipment from our generous overseas aid budget to help those in the refugee camps in Syria, helping them to return to their homelands when the troubles in the region subside?
  • Options
    MrsB said:

Keep wringing those hands.

If we accept those people who have stormed the channel tunnel what sort of message do we send out? There are proper procedures to follow, paying people smugglers, crossing several safe countries and then illegally entering a tunnel, endangering life, is not proper procedure.

• Options
    I agree with Morris that identifying any half decent betting value in this afternoon's United Kingdom British Grand Prix is proving to be exceedingly difficult.
    Ultimately I've gone for Lewis Hamilton to achieve the "Hat Trick", i,e Pole + Win + Fastest Lap, available from Laddies, Hills & Paddy Power at odds of 2.75 (7/4).
    The first element is of course already in the bag, the second appears to be an odds-on likelihood, which probably means the prospect of this bet delivering is down to whether Lewis can be sufficiently enthused to secure the fastest lap in the final stages of the race were he to be, say, 10 - 20 seconds clear of the field by that stage. I am hoping that the fanatical cheering of a massive home crowd will spur him on to achieve this third leg of the bet.
  • Options

DavidL said:

MrsB said:

Resettling whole families, particularly those from discriminated minorities likely to be unable to return to their homelands, such as Yazidi or Assyrian Christians would seem to me a much more compassionate approach. They would also be more likely to integrate well.
    There are plenty of genuine needs to go around. Too many, that is the problem.

And in the meantime we drown under the deluge of economic migrants who have had the resources and abilities to get here. Many of these have hard luck stories to tell. Some of them may even be true. But the self selection of numbers that already seem higher than we want to cope with is leaving little to no compassion for anyone else.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited July 2015
    MrsB said:

'All immigrants good! All people negatively affected by immigration who dare mention it racist!'

Repeat until feeling of smugness and moral virtue reaches 100%
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

MrsB said:

Morning all. Are we not better off providing funds and equipment from our generous overseas aid budget to help those in the refugee camps in Syria, helping them to return to their homelands when the troubles in the region subside?
    No. Because they are not going to subside. They are going to get worse. And these people will live out their lives in these camps as will their children.
  • Options
    I keep seeing people mention ......send them back.

I think people need to understand that returning people to point of origin is very difficult if not impossible. They destroy any documents they have and refuse to disclose where they originated. To be able to return a displaced person you have to prove their nationality, legal residency which without documents and cooperation you cannot do. The country you are attempting to return them too also will demand evidence which you don't have. Most coming out of for example Syria are not Syrian. They are from middles East or East Africa and some West Africans. That's as much as you really know so Syria can legitimately refuse entry to them once crossing the Med in a boat.

I am aware of this as I was involved more than once in trying to repatriate African migrants from ships that had picked up stowaways on board. It's a thankless task you know is going to fail and with the exception of one person never succeeded.

Quite simply you have to stop them at the waters edge because after that it really is game over.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Mr. Putney, not fond of hat trick bets, as a rule, and those odds are cruel.

The Mercedes is fastest by a mile but they may well build an enormous lead then cruise around managing things. Plus, Hamilton's been having some slightly dodgy starts of late (I did consider laying him to lead lap 1).

Edited extra bit: speaking of starts, rule changes are coming in this season to cut electronic aids, which will primarily affect the start. I suspect engine/traction will determine who does better/worse as a result (as well as driver skill, of course).
This discussion has been closed.