Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes saying that LAB leadership now a 2 horse race bet

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes saying that LAB leadership now a 2 horse race between Burnham & Kendall

I’m very mindful when considering the LAB leadership battle of the comments in the recent post from Henry G Manson who has built up a good reputation for his reading of Labour.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    edited May 2015
    First.

If Labour are sensible they'll go for Kendall. Fortunately for the Conservatives, they'll probably be silly and go for Burnham, a man who has bucketloads of genuinely negative backstory.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    FPT:
    HYUFD said:

Bond I remember 10 -15 years ago the Tories getting fewer MPs than Michael Foot in 3 successive elections, it is impossible to firmly predict a week ahead in politics, let alone 5 years

Perhaps, but then they were up against the biggest, bloodiest liar UK politics has seen since Lloyd George. Blair lied to borrow votes; now those votes are being paid back. I have high hopes that he'll turn out to be Labour's Lloyd George figure, i.e. their last-ever PM,

Labour never really changed, but every generation has to learn for itself about Labour, which is that it fosters race and class division, taxes people it hates and envies, and then wrecks the economy. That's it; that's what they do. Blair was an interlude they tolerated, because he got them back in, but a lot of Labourites couldn't really see the point of being in power on Blair's terms. If they couldn't foster race and class division, tax people they hate and envy, and then wreck the economy, what's the point of being in power, exactly?

Labour now is actually back in 1995. It is often misremembered that the Tories lost their reputation for economic competence in September 1992, but IIRC the polls didn't go anywhere much when that happened; nothing that was inconsistent with the usual mid-term blues. What changed was when Blair came along, stopped peddling envy, and started lying about sleaze. In a way he was right about Tory sleaze being disgraceful - it wasn't even trying to be the kind of top-down sleaze he had in mind.

Unlike 1995, Labour doesn't have the Blair option any more. They have fewer MPs - wasn't Major already a minority when Blair became leader? - and the MPs they do have are poorer, being largely selected on racist and sexist lines rather than on merit. To the extent they do, most of Labour still hates Blair. So what we'll get is another John Smith.

I really don't know where Labour goes from here because leftism loses them elections, but they bitterly hate the centre. Polly still thinks their policies were popular FGS...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I agree with our host. The odds on Yvette Cooper are absurdly long (and those on both of the other two rather too short). It's a marathon not a sprint.

Bang on cue, Isabel Hardman has written this about Yvette Cooper's campaign:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/yvette-coopers-policy-interventions-should-spice-up-the-labour-leadership-contest/
  • Options
    edited May 2015

First.

If Labour are sensible they'll go for Kendall. Fortunately for the Conservatives, they'll probably be silly and go for Burnham, a man who has bucketloads of genuinely negative backstory.

As I have suggested before, anyone wanting to know what Burnham is like need only read a few Dickens novels, because Butcher is in several of them, as the villain.

As well as being Mr. Bumble the Beadle, he's also Wackford Squeers, the teacher who hates boys, and there's quite a lot of Uriah Heep in him too.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625
    Everyone seems to be ignoring Creagh. Maybe she can come through the middle as the unity candidate? If she can get on the ballot.
  • Options

Everyone seems to be ignoring Creagh. Maybe she can come through the middle as the unity candidate? If she can get on the ballot.

Everybody's ignoring Creagh because she's a complete nobody. There are the necessary two token women in contention already, so that takes care of the Buggins' Turn principle.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2015
    Part of me is starting to hope Kendall wins. The complete carcrash that her leadership would be might finally get the Blairite virus out of the party's system once and for all.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

I really don't know where Labour goes from here because leftism loses them elections, but they bitterly hate the centre. Polly still thinks their policies were popular FGS...

That's not as preposterous as you think. If Osborne came out tomorrow and said he was phasing out non-dom status entirely it would be a popular move.

Regarding Burnham, I've already lost track of the nick-names people are using. If we're now picking from the complete works of Dickens I give up.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    TCB for Andy Burnham.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    antifrank said:

I agree with our host. The odds on Yvette Cooper are absurdly long (and those on both of the other two rather too short). It's a marathon not a sprint.

Bang on cue, Isabel Hardman has written this about Yvette Cooper's campaign:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/05/yvette-coopers-policy-interventions-should-spice-up-the-labour-leadership-contest/

7.2 on Betfair, very long I agree - had another bite.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

TCB for Andy Burnham.

Surely not TCLB?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    Danny565 said:

Part of me is starting to hope Kendall wins. The complete carcrash that her leadership would be might finally get the Blairite virus out of the party's system once and for all.

Blair was the only man who won majorities for the Party since 1974?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

TCB for Andy Burnham.

Surely not TCLB?
    Sorry, what's TCLB??
  • Options

That's not as preposterous as you think. If Osborne came out tomorrow and said he was phasing out non-dom status entirely it would be a popular move.

Regarding Burnham, I've already lost track of the nick-names people are using. If we're now picking from the complete works of Dickens I give up.
    I quite like "Butcher", because if offers the alliterative Butcher Burnham and the Mid Staffs Massacre. I quite like just "Stafford" as well - economical, and nails him. The downside is I used to live in one of the Stafford villages and still rather like the place.

It would just be the Dickens villains, really. Mr Burnham the Beadle has a certain something, and mocks his belief that carers are by definition above reproach, however grasping, self-regarding and brutal they are. Wackford Squeers is a bit recherché, but when he announces what he wants to tax, he can usefully be compared with Fagin, I would think: "You've got to pick a pocket or two".

The main thing though is that Burnham and / or his predecessors should all really be on corporate manslaughter charges. If a train company let 1,200 people die we would rightly never hear the end of it but because it's the public sector it's all fat payoffs and pleas for secrecy to spare the producers.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2015
    Yes, I also think Yvette is too long. It might only take one car-crash interview by Andy or Liz for perceptions to change. In any case it's very early days, and we haven't yet had the hustings. Andy in particular is not always a very convincing performer, and Liz is as yet still largely an unknown. She is also getting some considerable opposition from within the party (see Danny565's post of a few minutes ago for an example).
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

FPT:

HYUFD said:

Bond I remember 10 -15 years ago the Tories getting fewer MPs than Michael Foot in 3 successive elections, it is impossible to firmly predict a week ahead in politics, let alone 5 years

Perhaps, but then they were up against the biggest, bloodiest liar UK politics has seen since Lloyd George. Blair lied to borrow votes; now those votes are being paid back. I have high hopes that he'll turn out to be Labour's Lloyd George figure, i.e. their last-ever PM,

Labour never really changed, but every generation has to learn for itself about Labour, which is that it fosters race and class division, taxes people it hates and envies, and then wrecks the economy. That's it; that's what they do. Blair was an interlude they tolerated, because he got them back in, but a lot of Labourites couldn't really see the point of being in power on Blair's terms. If they couldn't foster race and class division, tax people they hate and envy, and then wreck the economy, what's the point of being in power, exactly?

Labour now is actually back in 1995. It is often misremembered that the Tories lost their reputation for economic competence in September 1992, but IIRC the polls didn't go anywhere much when that happened; nothing that was inconsistent with the usual mid-term blues. What changed was when Blair came along, stopped peddling envy, and started lying about sleaze. In a way he was right about Tory sleaze being disgraceful - it wasn't even trying to be the kind of top-down sleaze he had in mind.

Unlike 1995, Labour doesn't have the Blair option any more. They have fewer MPs - wasn't Major already a minority when Blair became leader? - and the MPs they do have are poorer, being largely selected on racist and sexist lines rather than on merit. To the extent they do, most of Labour still hates Blair. So what we'll get is another John Smith.

You clearly are a dementia sufferer. Labour had a huge poll lead before John Smith's death - just look at the 1994 local elections/ 1994 Euroelections and the trio of byelections held on the same day. Moreover having started with a majority of 21 - or 23 if Kilfedder was included - Major did not lose his majority until the beginning of 1997.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

TCB for Andy Burnham.

Surely not TCLB?
    Sorry, what's TCLB??
    Tony Charles Lynton Blair.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

That was because of Blair himself, not because of any "third way" triangulation bollocks.

In any case, the core vote wasn't as angry and willing to desert Labour back in the 1990s.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Danny565 said:

Blimey....I don't believe any Tory would talk in such venemous and virulent terms about any past leader and particularly one so electorally triumphant. Were you a party member during his leadership: if so, how you must have suffered in silence!
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2015
    Labour have handed a lot of power to the grass roots in choosing their new leader. The views of the 230-odd MPs are greatly diminished in value. One person, one vote.

Some factors which make me think Kendall hasn't a snowball-in-hell's chance:

1) The unions still maintain influence over their members: they despise Kendall
    2) Labour party members are, self-selectively, on the left of the party. Look at the comment threads in any forum with a high proportion of party members: they despise Kendall
    3) Turkey's don't vote for Christmas. Who in the public sector would vote for Kendall?

LKWNBLL
  • Options
    edited May 2015

dr_spyn said:

TCB for Andy Burnham.

Surely not TCLB?
    Sorry, what's TCLB??
    Tony Charles Lynton Blair.
    Ta. Then surely it's:

ACLB
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I'd say all of them endorsements apart from Jonathan Reynolds are pretty much expected. Unless she gets some other types of people on board, I think she is still in the position of just scraping through on nominations and then getting affiliated members to vote for her seems like a tough ask to me.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Anorak said:

LKWNBLL

EIMDNCHWMSFLTFDI1983OKDI1987 :)
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

Blimey....I don't believe any Tory would talk in such venemous and virulent terms about any past leader and particularly one so electorally triumphant. Were you a party member during his leadership: if so, how you must have suffered in silence!
    I liked Blair at the time actually. The problem is the "Blairites" today (and Blair himself since he descended into post-retirement madness) are complete self-parodies of what the Blair goverments actually stood for.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Danny565 said:

Exactly, this is half of why they're screwed - they hate the guy who won for them. The other half is that the pool to pick replacements is smaller absolutely than then, and stuffed with nodding dogs chosen for their plumbing or their skin colour (this is after the party of "get the Sikh vote out for Labour"), so in effect smaller still.

A party that honestly thinks there's such a thing as a Sikh vote is simply obsolete. What next, Spitfires for the RAF?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    FPT Thanks @HYUFD for the tip and your comments on the poll. (Sorry it's crap to link from mobiles)

But of course Tories have a preference for Stafford, they want him to be more crap than Ed. if Labour have any sense they will poll Tory members as to who they'd like as Lab leader, then go for the complete opposite!

They should also ask those who voted Lab in 2001 and 2005 but Tory in 2010 and 2015 who they'd prefer, because that will be who wins them the next election.
  • Options

Anorak said:

LKWNBLL

EIMDNCHWMFSLTFDI1983OKDI1987 :)
    Well, exactly. But I'd still have that looked at by a doctor.
  • Options

Yes, I also think Yvette is too long. It might only take one car-crash interview by Andy or Liz for perceptions to change. In any case it's very early days, and we haven't yet had the hustings. Andy in particular is not always a very convincing performer, and Liz is as yet still largely an unknown. She is also getting some considerable opposition from within the party (see Danny565's post of a few minutes ago for an example).

YCMNBLLBTOOHATL
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    MPs endorsing Bradshaw 4 Deputy

Diana Johnson
    Peter Kyle
    Heidi Alexander
    Frank Field
    Susan Élan Jones
    Paul Flynn
    Stephen Timms
    Kerry McCarthy
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Danny565 said:

JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

I liked Blair at the time actually. The problem is the "Blairites" today (and Blair himself since he descended into post-retirement madness) are complete self-parodies of what the Blair goverments actually stood for.
    Fair enough but the obvious question is what did YOU think the Blair governments stood for? To many what you saw 1997-2007 was what you got....and in the great scheme of things it didn't amount to much.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

LKWNBLL

EIMDNCHWMSFLTFDI1983OKDI1987 :)
    Well, exactly. But I'd still have that looked at by a doctor.
    Arf! :lol:
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2015
    Pulpstar said:

YCMNBLLBTOOHATL

I got the first seven. Edit: Now got the lot!
  • Options

Danny565 said:

What next, Spitfires for the RAF?
    Labour want Spitfires but the Tories want Typhoons and F35s. I wonder who wins that battle?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714

I suppose Angela Smith backs Kendall for Leader given she tweeted how delight she's Umunna, Twigg and Reynolds are backing her.

Gareth Thomas to nominate Creasy for Deputy
  • Options
    After one term of Blair much of Labour's vote simply evaporated as reflected in the lowest turnout since 1918 at the 2001 election.People were already massively disillusioned with him and his second landslide owed everything to people simply not wanting the Tories back.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

MPs endorsing Bradshaw 4 Deputy

Diana Johnson
    Peter Kyle
    Heidi Alexander
    Frank Field
    Susan Élan Jones
    Paul Flynn
    Stephen Timms
    Kerry McCarthy

Are we going to see the Deputy candidates (or their close supporters) endorsing Leader candidates? They are two separate elections but obviously the victors will have to work closely with each other afterwards.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

Labour want Spitfires but the Tories want Typhoons and F35s. I wonder who wins that battle?
    Who would win if all 20,334 Spitfires (and you could throw in 2,556 Seafires too) that were built took on the combined Typhoon/F-35 production?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Are we going to see the Deputy candidates (or their close supporters) endorsing Leader candidates? They are two separate elections but obviously the victors will have to work closely with each other afterwards.

The way things are going they'll need to otherwise no-one will be able to get 35 nominations because everyone else is running for deputy.
  • Options
    TCB - updated version of TCH - term of endearment for Buff Hoon.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

You clearly are a dementia sufferer. Labour had a huge poll lead before John Smith's death - just look at the 1994 local elections/ 1994 Euroelections and the trio of byelections held on the same day. Moreover having started with a majority of 21 - or 23 if Kilfedder was included - Major did not lose his majority until the beginning of 1997.

Ignoring your yobbish ill manners, which I'll excuse because you're a Labour supporter, were dragged up and hence know no better, here is the poll history from 1987 to 1992 and from 1992 to 1997:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1987-1992
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1992-1997

There is nothing much in there so very different between the two periods. Kinnock achieved mid term leads over Thatcher similar to those achieved by Smith and even by that wet lettuce Miliband.

What changed was that the public didn't come to its senses after 1995 because the Labour lie machine was working flat out.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

Were he still alive, then Ted Heath might beg to differ.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    The big danger with Kendall from Labour's point of view is that it makes a Scottish Labour revival less likely, giving the Conservatives a 100 seat lead in England and Wales that would need to be overturned.

Also the idea of building a broad coalition surely means that you need to keep the bulk of the vote you already have. With Labour already being 6% behind, Kendall has the potential to switch a large number of 2015 Labour voters off and a Farron led Lib Dems could be in a good position to pick them up.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

Who would win if all 20,334 Spitfires (and you could throw in 2,556 Seafires too) that were built took on the combined Typhoon/F-35 production?
    The RAF once dog-fought a Lightning - the post-war jet - against a Mustang and concluded that in some circumstances the Mustang would be danger. In a head-on approach it might, at very short range, have been able to stick a few 0.5" through the Lightning's engines.

In normal circumstances, it's the getting into range that's the hard part. Your Typhoon would clobber the Spitfires beyond the latter's visual range. Did they eventually fit it with a gun?
  • Options

JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

Yes, I had thought of mentioning Heath as the nearest analogy but probably most of those Tories who despised him for 'treachery' have, thankfully, boogered orf to UKIP!
  • Options

justin124 said:

Ignoring your yobbish ill manners, which I'll excuse because you're a Labour supporter, were dragged up and hence know no better, here is the poll history from 1987 to 1992 and from 1992 to 1997:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1987-1992
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1992-1997

There is nothing much in there so very different between the two periods. Kinnock achieved mid term leads over Thatcher similar to those achieved by Smith and even by that wet lettuce Miliband.

What changed was that the public didn't come to its senses after 1995 because the Labour lie machine was working flat out.
    Not so the May 1994 local elections and the June 1994 Eurolections were devastating for the Tories - nothing like that had happened at any. stage under Thatcher Three Parliamentary by-elections on the same day saw pro-Labour swings in excess of 20% with the Tories falling to third place at Eastleigh.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

The Tories slagged Heath off because he lost them three elections. Labour slags Blair off even though he won them three!

• Options
    Artist said:

The big danger with Kendall from Labour's point of view is that it makes a Scottish Labour revival less likely, giving the Conservatives a 100 seat lead in England and Wales that would need to be overturned.

Also the idea of building a broad coalition surely means that you need to keep the bulk of the vote you already have. With Labour already being 6% behind, Kendall has the potential to switch a large number of 2015 Labour voters off and a Farron led Lib Dems could be in a good position to pick them up.

I made a point elsewhere recently that the party who picks their leader last - Labour or the Lib Dems - will be at a slight advantage as it will allow their choice to reflect the other party's new leader's position.
  • Options
    Artist said:

That isn't the big danger. In Scotland Labour can't fall any further; in England and Wales they can.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited May 2015
    Artist Indeed, Sunday's yougov had Burnham ahead with voters in Scotland as well as the North, the South and the Midlands, Kendall has time to turn it around, but she needs leads by September. Cameron only won the Tory leadership in 2005 after he overtook Davis in polls of voters as a whole
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

I'd like to think it might be close, but what was the ratio of Spitfire pilots to airframes produced, and how much (little!) training did they have in combat compared to today's pilots? The Typhoons wouldn't need to get within 10 mlies of the Spits to take them out with modern missiles.
  • Options
    Labour slags Blair off for two reasons - he was a Tory - and a war criminal .
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

The Typhoons and F-35's would win, as there will be f'all support infrastructure for anywhere near that number of Spitfires and Seafires. They'd sit on the ground with no-one to fly them, no-one to arm them, and no-one to tell them where to go.

People forget that for every plane and pilot, you need a massive amount of support equipment and personnel. I've seen figures somewhere, and its not inconsiderable.

Although I concede that's probably nit-picking your point. ;-)
  • Options
    Bond Smith would have won in 1997 and indeed Brown would have in 2005, the LDs are unlikely to rereplace Labour as the main centre left party at the moment
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Blair is entirely Labour..and a massive liar..
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    justin124 said:

Also his 44-31 victory in GB in 1997 was only actually 12.9% when you check the decimal places.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

Fair enough but the obvious question is what did YOU think the Blair governments stood for? To many what you saw 1997-2007 was what you got....and in the great scheme of things it didn't amount to much.
    I think the Blair governments stood for helping poor people and strengthening public services with huge amounts of public spending. That's been ruled out with Kendall and the neo-Blairites succumbing to austerity-mania and saying they don't think the Tories are tough enough on welfare.

Admittedly Blair was a pussycat with the super-rich and big businesses, but that was because he could afford that luxury since the bumper tax revenues from the City meant there was the money available for socialism even without tackling the super-rich. Obviously those tax revenues ain't coming back anytime soon, so being much tougher on the super-rich is a prerequisite for Labour now if they want to achieve the end results that Blair did, as far as I see.

Tbh if Labour isn't for helping poor people and good public services then I don't know what on earth the point of it is. That Chuka Umunna article is a good case in point of how little these people actually have to offer in the absence of traditional Labour policies: all that waffle about "devolution". I really can't see that impressing anyone outside the Westminster bubble.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    William Hague has stated that Blair was a Tory.Is it seriously to be suggested that he was not miles to right of people such as Macmillan/ RA Butler/Macleod/Maudling/Edward Boyle/Maudling/Baldwin/Chamberlain? Ted Heath said Blair was far too rightwing for him.
    I grant that he was also a liar.
  • Options
    Burnham and Bradshaw - dream team unless you live in Staffordshire.
  • Options
    What is it with Labour leaders and the name "James" btw - both Wilson and Brown had it as a first name, and neither used it !
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

Yes, I had thought of mentioning Heath as the nearest analogy but probably most of those Tories who despised him for 'treachery' have, thankfully, boogered orf to UKIP!
    I said the other day Ted Heath was our greatest ever Prime Minister.

Took us into the EC and took Middlesbrough out of Yorkshire.

Thatcher was a close second for signing the Single European Act, though Dave might top them both were he to win the referendum to keep us in the EU.

The Tories, the only true Pro European Party.

Blair was a real extremist on Europe, he fought a by-election and a general election campaigning on us to withdraw from the EC.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    dr_spyn said:

Burnham and Bradshaw - dream team unless you live in Staffordshire.

Us Staffies burn them in effigy every Walpurgis night..
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

I'd like to think it might be close, but what was the ratio of Spitfire pilots to airframes produced, and how much (little!) training did they have in combat compared to today's pilots? The Typhoons wouldn't need to get within 10 mlies of the Spits to take them out with modern missiles.
    There are nowhere near enough missiles. For instance the Meteor isn't even fully in service yet, and we probably only have a few hundred AIM-120's.Worse, it would soon bankrupt the country: each Meteor costs about a million.

Where they would win is in radar, speed and maneuverability: the modern planes could stay out of range of the Spitfires, see them on radar, and dash in and use the Mauser cannons, then dash out of range. In visual range combat (i.e. up close), a modern jet's ability to climb fast would probably be key (IANAE).

Although if they were all in the air at once there'd probably be more losses to mid-air collisions than combat. ;-)
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Does it alarm you that come 2020, the only Labour leader in the last 46 years to win a majority was a Tory and a war criminal?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Blair was a real extremist on Europe, he fought a by-election and a general election campaigning on us to withdraw from the EC.

Mike, please get a grip on TSE, as per... http://bit.ly/1PKeKzs
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    edited May 2015

Artist said:

I made a point elsewhere recently that the party who picks their leader last - Labour or the Lib Dems - will be at a slight advantage as it will allow their choice to reflect the other party's new leader's position.
    Isn't reacting to an opponent's moves normally a sign of weakness, rather than strength?
  • Options
    On issues like gay marriage Cameron would have been to the left of Callaghan
  • Options

If I wanted to bait the Kippers, I would point out Dave's got 330 times more MPs than UKIP.

Yes, the Pro European Tory Party has 330 times more MPs than the out of touch, on the fringes UKIP
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

Speaking of which, have the Labour candidates yet stated their positions on the 100 duck-sized horses vs one horse-sized duck issue?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

There are nowhere near enough missiles. For instance the Meteor isn't even fully in service yet, and we probably only have a few hundred AIM-120's.Worse, it would soon bankrupt the country: each Meteor costs about a million.

Where they would win is in radar, speed and maneuverability: the modern planes could stay out of range of the Spitfires, see them on radar, and dash in and use the Mauser cannons, then dash out of range. In visual range combat (i.e. up close), a modern jet's ability to climb fast would probably be key (IANAE).

Although if they were all in the air at once there'd probably be more losses to mid-air collisions than combat. ;-)
    Ha, true about the numbers of missiles, but if there was a war on....

I like the idea that the modern planes would win with sonic booms, wake turbulence and pilot induced collisions!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

I like the idea that the modern planes would win with sonic booms, wake turbulence and pilot induced collisions!
    Our ability to mass-produce missiles is uncertain. A few years back a mate was working on cost-reducing missiles for a certain manufacturer, but he claimed there was only a certain amount you could do before they literally became miss-iles as opposed to hit-iles.

Sadly, that was about all he could tell me.

It's fun going around the IWM Duxford with him. He looks at all the air-to-air refuelling probes, missiles and other sundry items and gives me chapter and verse on them. He also treated the experimental Typhoon there as if it was an old friend. ;-)
  • Options
    Just done a yougov voting intention poll. Final question was a binary choice FPTP/PR which was disappointing.

Had to answer FPTP, I'd be fine with STV but any closed list PR with no constituency element is verbotten.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Everybody's ignoring Creagh because she's a complete nobody. There are the necessary two token women in contention already, so that takes care of the Buggins' Turn principle.
    A bit harsh on Creagh - in actual fact I'd heard and recalled her name before this leadership contest, which is more thanI can say for Kendall, for what little that's worth, but Kendall ahs rather smartly made more of a splash.

I put it down to not being coy about running, she's the first one I can recall doing so and was blunt in answering a question about it, which I appreciated. That goodwill naturally made me pay more attention to her thereafter.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCAllegra: Catch Newsnight tonight for first interview with @ChukaUmunna on why he is backing @leicesterliz for leader, + whether he'll ever run again
  • Options

Artist said:

Isn't reacting to an opponent's moves normally a sign of weakness, rather than strength?
    Sometimes, but not always. Always trying to be first in making a move can also be a cause of weakness. ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3097110/Cameron-humiliated-France-Germany-tighten-grip-Europe-secret-pact-dubbed-Le-No-Thanks-Britain.html

Daily Mail Europe article phrase check

in tatters ✓
    left humiliated ✓
    crisis-stricken euro ✓
    secret plan ✓
    huge blow to Mr Cameron ✓
    overshadowed Mr Cameron ✓
    Britain had saved Europe from the Nazis ✓
    uphill battle ✓
    Labour and the SNP ... 'hijack' ✓
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Sandpit said:

Our ability to mass-produce missiles is uncertain. A few years back a mate was working on cost-reducing missiles for a certain manufacturer, but he claimed there was only a certain amount you could do before they literally became miss-iles as opposed to hit-iles.

It's fun going around the IWM Duxford with him. He looks at all the air-to-air refuelling probes, missiles and other sundry items and gives me chapter and verse on them. He also treated the experimental Typhoon there as if it was an old friend. ;-)
    Almost all missiles are miss-iles, almost never hitting the target directly. Most detonate within a few 10s of feet and let shrapnel do its thing. Delicate things, modern aircraft, even combat ones.

BAE systems made a bit thing about hitiles a few years back - some sort of expanding ring of jointed rods, I think - but the vast majority of global inventory is of the 'close enough' variety.

[i think i might have screwed up the quoting above]
  • Options

justin124 said:

Does it alarm you that come 2020, the only Labour leader in the last 46 years to win a majority was a Tory and a war criminal?
    No - John Smith would have won handsomely in 1997.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Just done a yougov voting intention poll. Final question was a binary choice FPTP/PR which was disappointing.

Had to answer FPTP, I'd be fine with STV but any closed list PR with no constituency element is verbotten.

That was surely a bad question, since STV is probably the best form of PR.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

If I wanted to bait the Kippers, I would point out Dave's got 330 times more MPs than UKIP.

Yes, the Pro European Tory Party has 330 times more MPs than the out of touch, on the fringes UKIP
    Kippers, being a bit on the dead and smoked side, wouldn't be capable of taking any sort of bait - so you should be OK.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Brexit starts to worry German Industry.

The UK is the second largest recipient of German investment at 121 bn Euros ( USA No 1 ) and substantially ahead of France.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/wirtschaftspolitik/britisches-eu-referendum-unternehmen-warnen-vor-austritt-13611099-p2.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

justin124 said:

War Criminals and Witches win elections.

Still not having Blair Witch Project
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Sandpit said:

Almost all missiles are miss-iles, almost never hitting the target directly. Most detonate within a few 10s of feet and let shrapnel do its thing. Delicate things, modern aircraft, even combat ones.

BAE systems made a bit thing about hitiles a few years back - some sort of expanding ring of jointed rods, I think - but the vast majority of global inventory is of the 'close enough' variety.

[i think i might have screwed up the quoting above]
    AFAIK few modern missiles are designed to 'hit' the target directly in the air-to-air realm. They mostly want the plane to hit the debris from the missile, as you have a much greater chance of intercepting a fast-moving vehicle.

The jointed rods you mention are quite an old technology now, and quite clever. I think in particular you're referring to the continuous-rod warhead that has been about since the 1950s, I think. I don't know how common it is now when compared to fragmentation types, although I think the AIM-120 uses rods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous-rod_warhead
    http://www.okieboat.com/Warhead history.html
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,789

Kippers, being a bit on the dead and smoked side, wouldn't be capable of taking any sort of bait - so you should be OK.
    There's a red herring in there somewhere ...

• Options

justin124 said:

Helpful hint: demonising your female political opponents as witches is not a good look.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

April 94, the last ICM before John Smith died, had Labour with a 12% lead (ie just 3 years before an election)

April 12 with ICM, Miliband had a lead of 8%, so in the same time frame, John Smith and Ed Miliband were not that far off.

Remember, John Smith probably cost Labour the 1992 general election with his Shadow Budget

• Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243

The UK is the second largest recipient of German investment at 121 bn Euros ( USA No 1 ) and substantially ahead of France.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtschaft/wirtschaftspolitik/britisches-eu-referendum-unternehmen-warnen-vor-austritt-13611099-p2.html

The boot is on the other foot I think. Where will all that investment go in due course.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I would have thought GB should be worried. Where would US and Japanese inward investment go ? Nissan is not here to sell in Britain, you know !
  • Options

AFAIK few modern missiles are designed to 'hit' the target directly in the air-to-air realm. They mostly want the plane to hit the debris from the missile, as you have a much greater chance of intercepting a fast-moving vehicle.

The jointed rods you mention are quite an old technology now, and quite clever. I think in particular you're referring to the continuous-rod warhead that has been about since the 1950s, I think. I don't know how common it is now when compared to fragmentation types, although I think the AIM-120 uses rods.

Blimey, 1950s. As a young, wide eyed British Aerospace trainee on secondment to the newly formed Matra BAe Dynamics, I had that explained to me as the 'latest and greatest'. As this was in the 90s, they clearly saw me coming...
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Pulpstar said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3097110/Cameron-humiliated-France-Germany-tighten-grip-Europe-secret-pact-dubbed-Le-No-Thanks-Britain.html

Daily Mail Europe article phrase check

in tatters ✓
    left humiliated ✓
    crisis-stricken euro ✓
    secret plan ✓
    huge blow to Mr Cameron ✓
    overshadowed Mr Cameron ✓
    Britain had saved Europe from the Nazis ✓
    uphill battle ✓
    Labour and the SNP ... 'hijack' ✓

The Mail talks sense all of a sudden.? Hmm... The euro zone is their problem not ours... How they manage its mess has nothing to do with us. It's not a club we are a member of.
    How we deal with the single market is very much our issue.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

One minute we are Germany's biggest bud, the next they are in league with the French to stitch us up.

One minute Greece is on the verge of a deal with creditors, next minute Grexit is imminent.

Does anybody know what the f8ck is going on in Europe?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Danny565 said:

There is a dogfight in WW2 where the British base in Malta couldn't turn the planes or pilots around so blagged it. From the ground, they sent radio commentary of their approach to a flight of German bombers. The bombers got so jumpy that they ended up ND'ing and two planes got hit, one going down. Without a British plane in the sky, they shot down another of their own before bugging out.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Looking at the Header pic of Kendall it seems she is using the same eyeliner and mascara as Burnham..
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Anorak said:

Blimey, 1950s. As a young, wide eyed British Aerospace trainee on secondment to the newly formed Matra BAe Dynamics, I had that explained to me as the 'latest and greatest'. As this was in the 90s, they clearly saw me coming...
    Could it have been a variant of the tech? The continuous rods have been around that long, and were even used on the 1950s-era Bloodhound missile. But ISTR that some missiles use derivatives, such as multiple rings which form a cone of expanding circles, designed to increase the chance of intercept.

I think. IANAE.
    The Continuous Rod (CR) Warhead was conceived at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (NMT), Soccoro, NM during the early 1950’s. Its genesis was from early tests of discrete rods in which the rods were shown capable of slicing through aircraft skin and damaging internal structure
    http://aux.ciar.org/ttk/mbt/papers/isb2007/paper.x.isb2007.WM05.the_evolution_of_air_target_warheads.waggener.2007.pdf
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Tbh if Labour isn't for helping poor people and good public services then I don't know what on earth the point of it is.

Unfettered immigration driving their wages down, and Mid Staffs.

No, I don't know what the point of Labour is, either. Making people poor, perhaps?

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

justin124 said:

Helpful hint: demonising your female political opponents as witches is not a good look.
    I understand Ding Dong was very popular
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    TSE Before 'Back to Basics' and sleaze, Tory EU splits deepened further, BSE etc and of course Blair won by about 12/13 points anyway. The Miliband poll was before indyref and Labour had lost half its Scottish voters to the SNP
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A cooler assessment of the Franco-German position on Eurozone reform is in the FT:

http://blogs.ft.com/brusselsblog/2015/05/26/the-big-eurozone-overhaul-may-not-be-so-big/

"If documents sent around to national capitals in recent days ahead of Tuesday’s Brussels meeting of EU “sherpas” – the top EU advisers to all 28 prime ministers – are any indication, the report being pulled together may propose little more than a bit of euro housekeeping in the near term. Although more ambitious plans could be included, the leaked documents show they will be relegated to the medium and long term – a tried and true EU tradition that is normally a recipe for bureaucratic burial."

It doesn't seem to have occurred to either the Guardian or the Daily Mail that the Eurozone reform plans may actually have been about the Eurozone rather than about Britain. If much-needed reforms are being postponed to outmanoeuvre Britain, the Eurozone is in deeper trouble than I thought.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

justin124 said:

Do you think Burnham or Cooper would become PM in 2020 if they win the leadership?
  • Options

Anorak said:

Could it have been a variant of the tech? The continuous rods have been around that long, and were even used on the 1950s-era Bloodhound missile. But ISTR that some missiles use derivatives, such as multiple rings which form a cone of expanding circles, designed to increase the chance of intercept.

I think. IANAE.
    The Continuous Rod (CR) Warhead was conceived at New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (NMT), Soccoro, NM during the early 1950’s. Its genesis was from early tests of discrete rods in which the rods were shown capable of slicing through aircraft skin and damaging internal structure
    http://aux.ciar.org/ttk/mbt/papers/isb2007/paper.x.isb2007.WM05.the_evolution_of_air_target_warheads.waggener.2007.pdfI'd like to say that was it, but I think I was just stitched up. The same chap tried to send me to the workshop for a 'long stand', but fortunately I'd heard that one before.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

April 94, the last ICM before John Smith died, had Labour with a 12% lead (ie just 3 years before an election)

April 12 with ICM, Miliband had a lead of 8%, so in the same time frame, John Smith and Ed Miliband werent' that far off.

Remember, John Smith probably cost Labour the 1992 general election with his Shadow Budget

I don't share the view that Smith's Shadow Budget cost Labour the 1992 election. Labour did well in London marginals that year despite that being an area most likely to have been adversely affected by the proposals.
    Re - polls in April/May 1994 - ICM on 7th May just five days before Smith's death gave Labour a 15% lead. For several months Mori had been recording Labour leads of over 20% whilst Gallup and NOP came up with leads of circa 25%. There is no doubt that Labour was storming ahead long before Blair became leader.
This discussion has been closed.