Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An interesting and very sharp political divide: Whether vot

2»

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    ajb1970 said:

Wow! What a lot of racists.

Such infantile interjections from borderline morons ceased to convey any sort of "Wow!" factor decades ago...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Socrates said:

@Tim_B

I'm not interested in getting in an argument on Christmas Eve. You have your mind made up on this, and I don't feel like investing the time to challenge it.

Fair enough Socrates - google Tawana Brawley. I had a peripheral and indirect involvement in that.

I know much more about Sharpton than you do.

But it is Christmas Eve, so I will honor your suggestion - Merry Christmas Socrates!
  • Options
    A humbug walks into a Bah...
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Completely unrelated. Syria.

An attempt to spring the Jordanian pilot who was shot down by ISIS fighters is underway right now.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Y0kel
    I hope they are successful
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    ajb1970 said:

Wow! What a lot of racists.

Grow up.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

A humbug walks into a Bah...

Was it the Bar Humbug?
  • Options
    Merry Christmas, everybody!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Merry christmas !
  • Options
    EddieEddie Posts: 34
    A pretty damning indictment of the political right, and this supports the allegations that have been made about UKIP.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Socrates said:

Tim_B said:

Socrates said:

Both Obama and de Blasio have said inflammatory things about Ferguson and Staten Island, instead of trying to unite the nation and calm the situation.

I have heard this said many times, by those who oppose Obama, but I am yet to see or read an "inflammatory" quote by Obama regarding Ferguson or Staten Island.

• Options
    Coys!!!

Eicinpm.
  • Options
    Merry Christmas.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Eddie said:

A pretty damning indictment of the political right, and this supports the allegations that have been made about UKIP.

Yes indeed, because its perfectly fine to bankrupt the economy, cause old people to die of cold from ridiculous fuel prices brought on from "green" taxes, start illegal wars, and lie about weapons of mass destruction, so long as we are all politically correct, and make sure we dont offend anyone... got it.
  • Options
    Interesting fact: petrol is about the same price now as it was in the mid 1980s if you adjust for inflation. For example the price was about 35 in 1983 which is equivalent to 110 today.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    AndyJS said:

Interesting fact: petrol is about the same price now as it was in the mid 1980s if you adjust for inflation. For example the price was about 35 in 1983 which is equivalent to 110 today.

Is that calculated using CPI or wage growth ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Eddie said:

Yes indeed, because its perfectly fine to bankrupt the economy, cause old people to die of cold from ridiculous fuel prices brought on from "green" taxes, start illegal wars, and lie about weapons of mass destruction, so long as we are all politically correct, and make sure we dont offend anyone... got it.
    I am not sure if you are making excuses for those who think it is acceptable to use offensive language. Nor am I am not sure if you are saying that the UK economy is bankrupt. Bankruptcy results from an inability to service debts. I do not think any economist believes that Britain cannot service its dept. Indeed, Fitch gives the UK an AAA credit rating, and Moody's gives an AA1 rating, and Standard and Poor gives an AAA.

As for old people dying of cold, it is expected that a libertarian political party will pander to the interests of big business, and to aspire to create a very low-tax economy at the expense of safety net programs that are intended to help the poor and those who are the most vulnerable in society. I am not clear if that is a political agenda that you favor, but it seems to me that those who are willing to use language that is offensive to certain groups in society have little concern for the welfare of those groups.

There is a clear link between the politics authoritarianism and libertarianism, as seen in USA, where the Republican Party/Tea Party, intolerant of certain groups in society, is also unwilling to support policies that provide basic healthcare for all, extensions to unemployment benefits or equal pay for women, to give just a few examples, while refusing to close tax loopholes for the super-rich and an agenda to also continually cut taxes for the wealthiest. In other words, it is a redistribution of wealth by taking from the poor and giving to the rich.

• Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

AndyJS said:

Apparently the police are investigating an offensive message on social media regarding the Glasgow tragedy.

This is absolutely NOT what the police should be spending their time and resources on IMO. With 65 million people in the country, there are always going to be some people who post offensive messages about almost any event, and to attempt to pursue them is utter madness.

On this I have to agree, unless a post is directly intimidating to an individual either in its tone or frequency the best that you can do is accept that there are disturbed and sad people out there who whilst being pathetic are not worth bothering about
    I agree with these points. It's been said that more than 10% of police time is now being spent on social media complaints - if true, that's ridiculous. Google etc. should be largely self-policing, and if they aren't they should possibly be fined by the govt for wasting police resources.

So, of course it's unacceptable to use the word "chinky", but it shouldn't be a criminal offence.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I would find the use of 'chinky' in relation to a person offensive, but I would not find Aussie or Paki offensive, probably because the Aussies and Pakis I know would not find it so (I admit in relation to the latter that I probably would not use Paki in the UK). I think it is a good general rule that you should not use a term if the group to which it refers finds it offensive. However, I don't think any tiny minority should be able to take a word hostage by claiming to speak for the majority. And I do wonder why Aussie and Kiwi are never assumed to be slurs. Perhaps it is, as some have already indicated, that Aussies and Kiwis feel themselves equals (or superior), so are proud of being called whatever people call them. Personally, I have never taken offence at being called a wingeing pommie bastard, simply because I don't recognize myself in the term. Rather, I find it amusing - and proof of how close Aussies and Brits are that they use the term.
  • Options
    Is it offensive to say that people of chinese origin have chinky shaped eyes?
This discussion has been closed.