Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Record breakers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,834

Leon said:

Leon said:

So this is how the poor live. It’s an incredible insight into that other world, which so few of us know. Now I’ve been immersed in that world for over 2 hours, and - I think it’s changed me

I may have a creme de menthe frappe overlooking Lac Leman to contemplate what I’ve learned

How much will that be?

You have £73 left I think you said.

That is roughly what a single person on unemployment benefit or basic ESA has for a week!
    Fucksake I’ve been fiercely budgeting for what seems like hours. Indeed it is hours. Nearly 3 hours now - of grinding poverty, no let up, no hope, no promise of betterment, and just a nice tartellete aux fruits, etc, for breakfast until I got my free tram to the lakeside for a stroll in the sun, and now I stare at the jet d’eau and think about a glass of wine

This is it. This is reality for 80% of the world. Utter paupery and a life without comfort. At least I can now say I’ve seen it and done it
    On the bright side, you’re missing the BBC4 screening of Threads tonight. Only the fourth terrestrial screening ever I read..
    The spectator is trying to warn us with ample articles

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/what-horror-does-to-us/
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,110
    In the Woman's t20 the Saffirs are now on 160-4 with an over left. Scotland are going to have their work cut out to beat them!
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,777
    Cookie said:

Metropolitan Police deny they were put under pressure to give Taylor Swift a blue light convoy at taxpayers expenses by Khan and Cooper

Apparently they both received Taylor Swift gifted tickets and here lies the problem in perception, fairly or not

Jesus. What moronic trivial froth.

Change the bloody record, releasing the pearls from your grasp as you do so.
    You seem to have a problem with anything you may think compromises the government, and then throw in your childish response about someone clutching pearls, or cash is nonsense, or 172 seat majority, or something else all of which are so predictable

You cannot close down newstories you do not like no matter how much you huff and puff
    Change the record.
    Good advice - you should take it
    The greater puzzle is why senior politicians are so desperate to see a Taylor Swift concert. Are we governed by 12 year old girls?
    I thought the "grown ups are back in charge".
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,737
    15 150+ scores for Root.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,760
    Starmer tells Argentina to come and have a go if they think they’re hard enough.

https://x.com/lewis_goodall/status/1843973787009642533

Starmer on British overseas territory: "My uncle nearly lost his life when his ship was torpedoed defending the Falklands. They are British and they will remain British. And sovereignty in Gibraltar is equally not to be negotiated...I've been v clear about the Falklands. It's personal to me."
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,066
    edited 11:25AM
    From the Transport Minister:

Louise Haigh
    @LouHaigh Oct 7
    Today I met road safety experts to discuss how to make our roads safer for all.

This was stage one of our new Road Safety Strategy - the first in over a decade 🚗🚲🚶

We know there is more work to be done, and we are determined to prevent more tragic deaths on our roads.

https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1843327887581286415

There is probably lots of disagreement amongst PBers, but it's good to see that the word "strategy" has been rediscovered and taken out of the freezer.

I have slight qualms about "tragic" - what about all the others ?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,603

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Mr. Eagles, perhaps Klopp will interview Verstappen when he wins the title?

Last month I bought a brand new TV (83 inches, not overcompensating), I will cry and hurl bricks at the TV if Klopp says nice things about the Dutch shunt.
    Only 83", didn't fancy one of those 100" jobbies.....
    I’ll get the 100 inch one when 8K becomes standard.
    Why do we still do TVs in inches?* I had to do the conversion: 2.1-2.5m :open_mouth:

Fine for films and sport, but what happens when you watch the news? I don't think I could have dealt with Boris Johnson or Liz Truss at that size in my living room :#

*Or at least, let's move to feet and inches. I know I'm 184cm tall which is just over 6ft, but for inches I'd have to do the maths - no one when asked how tall they are says 72 inches!
    The ONLY thing I use feet for is height of humans.

Many will be unsurprised that I am no enthusiast for the newfangled, and still measure large distances in yards or miles and small distances in inches. (I was born post-imperial and was taught in metric, but imperial measurements are just so much more satisfying to say.) But I have little use for the curiously superfluous measure of feet, aside from height of humans.
    Ditto stone and weight of humans.
    What I have concluded is that the imperial system devised a new unit of measurement for every application. So we have the fother, which is the weight of lead that a single man can carry. If you know that your church roof requires 20 fothers of head for the roof, then you know you need to go up and down 20 times with a load of lead to roof it. Simple. This means that for most applications which existed long ago enough, there's a perfect imperial unit for working with. Ounces are perfect for baking, miles for walking, feet for room sizes, etc.

Unfortunately, at some point they stopped adding new units to the imperial system, and so there aren't handy imperial units for rocketry, or electric car batteries.
    This is quite good on imperial measures.
    https://x.com/RayDarnott/status/1843512261945774352
    22 yards in a chain, 10 chains in a furlong, and 8 furlongs in a mile. That makes 1760 yards in a mile. Easy!
    "Nobody knows that".
    I did. I had to learn it in primary school. It's also why a cricket pitch is 22 yards long. (Don't what it is in metres.)
    22 yards is pretty close to 20 metres, making a furlong 200m and a mile 1600m, just as with the standard mile to km conversion of 5:8.

It's a little bit out - a mile is more precisely 1,609.344m - but it's close enough for most uses.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,162

British computer scientist Demis Hassabis has won a share of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for "revolutionary" work on proteins, the building blocks of life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/czrm0p2mxvyo

At least it involved chemistry. I was half expecting them to give it to Michel Roux Jr for a very good dinner he provided to the AGM of the Royal Society of Chemistry in 1995.
    Cooking is chemistry in action.

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,632
    CatMan said:

Sandpit said:

Harry Brook has scored 576 runs in Pakistan. Only one visiting player has scored more than 1000 runs in Pakistan. That is Sunil Gavaskar with 1001 runs.

Harry Brook is 25.

Possibly the stat of the day from Wisden.

https://x.com/yas_wisden/status/1843970103186280794

“Harry Brook now has more Test hundreds in Pakistan than Imran Khan”.
    Imran Khan beating Brook in the number of Prime Minerships though
    Brook is only 25, give him time.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

Last month I bought a brand new TV (83 inches, not overcompensating), I will cry and hurl bricks at the TV if Klopp says nice things about the Dutch shunt.
    Why do we still do TVs in inches?* I had to do the conversion: 2.1-2.5m :open_mouth:

Fine for films and sport, but what happens when you watch the news? I don't think I could have dealt with Boris Johnson or Liz Truss at that size in my living room :#

*Or at least, let's move to feet and inches. I know I'm 184cm tall which is just over 6ft, but for inches I'd have to do the maths - no one when asked how tall they are says 72 inches!

Many will be unsurprised that I am no enthusiast for the newfangled, and still measure large distances in yards or miles and small distances in inches. (I was born post-imperial and was taught in metric, but imperial measurements are just so much more satisfying to say.) But I have little use for the curiously superfluous measure of feet, aside from height of humans.
    What I have concluded is that the imperial system devised a new unit of measurement for every application. So we have the fother, which is the weight of lead that a single man can carry. If you know that your church roof requires 20 fothers of head for the roof, then you know you need to go up and down 20 times with a load of lead to roof it. Simple. This means that for most applications which existed long ago enough, there's a perfect imperial unit for working with. Ounces are perfect for baking, miles for walking, feet for room sizes, etc.

Unfortunately, at some point they stopped adding new units to the imperial system, and so there aren't handy imperial units for rocketry, or electric car batteries.
    22 yards in a chain, 10 chains in a furlong, and 8 furlongs in a mile. That makes 1760 yards in a mile. Easy!
    "Nobody knows that".
    I did. I had to learn it in primary school. It's also why a cricket pitch is 22 yards long. (Don't what it is in metres.)
    22 yards is pretty close to 20 metres, making a furlong 200m and a mile 1600m, just as with the standard mile to km conversion of 5:8.

It's a little bit out - a mile is more precisely 1,609.344m - but it's close enough for most uses.
    Thanks. I don't recall having to learn about metres until Grammar School.
    Sandpit said:

There’s Brook with his century as well, two 100s and two 50s from the five batsmen used so far.

So what do we think about this match? In my mind it’s looking a certain draw, unless one or both captains play games with a declaration to try and force the result. The question is will they dare roll the dice and risk losing?

Depends what they think the pitch might do, when it will be best to bowl at Pakistan again. I feel like the right, bold, thing to do is to declare as early as possible to try and get the ten seconds-innings Pakistan wickets as soon as possible.

But if you felt the pitch might deteriorate on day five then you'd want to pile the runs on and bat only once.
    Nigelb said:

British computer scientist Demis Hassabis has won a share of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry for "revolutionary" work on proteins, the building blocks of life.

At least it involved chemistry. I was half expecting them to give it to Michel Roux Jr for a very good dinner he provided to the AGM of the Royal Society of Chemistry in 1995.

A former colleague of mine read pharmacy back in the 60's because she liked cookery, and the practical we had to do back then appealed to her.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,518
    edited 11:35AM

Sandpit said:

There’s Brook with his century as well, two 100s and two 50s from the five batsmen used so far.

So what do we think about this match? In my mind it’s looking a certain draw, unless one or both captains play games with a declaration to try and force the result. The question is will they dare roll the dice and risk losing?

Depends what they think the pitch might do, when it will be best to bowl at Pakistan again. I feel like the right, bold, thing to do is to declare as early as possible to try and get the ten seconds-innings Pakistan wickets as soon as possible.

But if you felt the pitch might deteriorate on day five then you'd want to pile the runs on and bat only once.
    Surely batting once is the way to go ? A lead of say 200-250 means you're highly highly unlikely to lose the game. If England keep on trucking that could be achieved with 4 sessions to go at Pakistan, which gives them the day 5 pitch to bat on. I'd be looking to bat on till tea tommorow or 800 runs, whichever is sooner. In reality though England will probably be bowled out before then for 650 or some such though - which would still be fine but not completely impenetrable.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,959
    Latest Morning Consult poll (11,353 sampled) has Harris up by 6% (51-45) - Harris up 1% on last month.

Also, a NY Times Siena poll has Harris up 3% (49-46) - was tied 47-47 last month. Interestingly, 9% of registered Republicans are voting for Harris, up from 5% last month.

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,602

Starmer tells Argentina to come and have a go if they think they’re hard enough.

Starmer on British overseas territory: "My uncle nearly lost his life when his ship was torpedoed defending the Falklands. They are British and they will remain British. And sovereignty in Gibraltar is equally not to be negotiated...I've been v clear about the Falklands. It's personal to me."

How did you make your extrapolation from Goodall's tweet?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,488

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

"Nobody knows that".

Thanks. I don't recall having to learn about metres until Grammar School.
    I was taught that 5 miles is as good as 8 km - so multiply by 8/5 or 5/8 as appropriate: easy enough mentally.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,457

Nigelb said:

A former colleague of mine read pharmacy back in the 60's because she liked cookery, and the practical we had to do back then appealed to her.
    Less well suited to the kind of cook who likes to regularly taste what they are making and then search the cupboards for something to give it that certain... je ne sais quoi, presumably? :wink:
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,687
    Nigelb said:

That was sorta the point of my 'joke'... :)
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,694

Latest Morning Consult poll (11,353 sampled) has Harris up by 6% (51-45) - Harris up 1% on last month.

Also, a NY Times Siena poll has Harris up 3% (49-46) - was tied 47-47 last month. Interestingly, 9% of registered Republicans are voting for Harris, up from 5% last month.

Slipping away from The Donald.

How does he respond?

Dead cat? Black swan?

Black cat? Dead swan?

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,488
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So this is how the poor live. It’s an incredible insight into that other world, which so few of us know. Now I’ve been immersed in that world for over 2 hours, and - I think it’s changed me

I may have a creme de menthe frappe overlooking Lac Leman to contemplate what I’ve learned

How much will that be?

That is roughly what a single person on unemployment benefit or basic ESA has for a week!
    Fucksake I’ve been fiercely budgeting for what seems like hours. Indeed it is hours. Nearly 3 hours now - of grinding poverty, no let up, no hope, no promise of betterment, and just a nice tartellete aux fruits, etc, for breakfast until I got my free tram to the lakeside for a stroll in the sun, and now I stare at the jet d’eau and think about a glass of wine

This is it. This is reality for 80% of the world. Utter paupery and a life without comfort. At least I can now say I’ve seen it and done it
    On the bright side, you’re missing the BBC4 screening of Threads tonight. Only the fourth terrestrial screening ever I read..

Forget threads, this is where it's at: the midge.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqlvgzyrevzo
    https://jdkirk.com/midges-the-horror-movie/
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,464
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How much will that be?

Did the writer of the article do a proper examination of its premise - that people like to be artificially scared - before putting pen to paper?

Because I'm not sure they do. Some do, yes, but others certainly don't.

Slipping away from The Donald.

How does he respond?

Dead cat? Black swan?

Black cat? Dead swan?

"They are eating the cats. They are eating the swans..."

You don't mess with the Gaffer.
    Ukrainian fireworks in Russia to celebrate Putin's bithday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12_WTrrNZs

Some BIG rockets going off.
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Surely batting once is the way to go ? A lead of say 200-250 means you're highly highly unlikely to lose the game. If England keep on trucking that could be achieved with 4 sessions to go at Pakistan, which gives them the day 5 pitch to bat on. I'd be looking to bat on till tea tommorow or 800 runs, whichever is sooner. In reality though England will probably be bowled out before then for 650 or some such though - which would still be fine but not completely impenetrable.
    Like I say, it depends on the pitch. If it doesn't deteriorate then there's not much pressure on Pakistan to bat out the draw for four sessions and the draw is favourite.

That's why the bold ploy is to declare early and have enough time to take all the wickets. That maximises your chance of avoiding a draw by having confidence in your players to get the fourth innings runs.
    Cookie said:

Metropolitan Police deny they were put under pressure to give Taylor Swift a blue light convoy at taxpayers expenses by Khan and Cooper

Apparently they both received Taylor Swift gifted tickets and here lies the problem in perception, fairly or not

You seem to have a problem with anything you may think compromises the government, and then throw in your childish response about someone clutching pearls, or cash is nonsense, or 172 seat majority, or something else all of which are so predictable

You cannot close down newstories you do not like no matter how much you huff and puff
    Change the record.
    The greater puzzle is why senior politicians are so desperate to see a Taylor Swift concert. Are we governed by 12 year old girls?
    It's interesting to contemplate the impact that would have. I suspect a net positive.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 688
    kinabalu said:

Betting news: Jenrick's out with the washing but more to the point, on the Big One, the Only One, the most important election there has ever ever been, SPIN have put up the EC supremacy spreads!

You can buy Harris @ 5. I'm doing it. It's just a matter of for how much and should I have it in addition to my betfair position or instead of it. Hmmm.

Thanks. I don't really see anything there that's tempting that I couldn't do better in fixed odds markets. But on logging on I notice I'm eligible for a free matched bet, which may make it worthwhile due to asymmetric payoff... need to think. What do others think? Note that the free bet *cannot* be closed.
    Sandpit said:

CatMan said:

Sandpit said:

Harry Brook has scored 576 runs in Pakistan. Only one visiting player has scored more than 1000 runs in Pakistan. That is Sunil Gavaskar with 1001 runs.

Harry Brook is 25.

Possibly the stat of the day from Wisden.

https://x.com/yas_wisden/status/1843970103186280794

“Harry Brook now has more Test hundreds in Pakistan than Imran Khan”.
    Imran Khan beating Brook in the number of Prime Minerships though
    Brook is only 25, give him time.
    I thought it was Khan who'd been given time ?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,687

Ukrainian fireworks in Russia to celebrate Putin's bithday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12_WTrrNZs

Some BIG rockets going off.

I love the smell of a burning Russian ammunition dump in the morning...

But to be serious, this must be having some effect on their ability to fight.
    Slight scare for Root on the fading light.

Don't lose concentration, please.
    Gov. Walz: We just learned today that Donald Trump was secretly sending COVID testing machines to Vladimir Putin that we couldn't even get in our states. Can we all just agree, this is the kind of stuff that would have ended political careers before they started?
    https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1843835585045102627
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How much will that be?

Did the writer of the article do a proper examination of its premise - that people like to be artificially scared - before putting pen to paper?

Are you, perhaps, the latter?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,205
    kinabalu said:

Betting news: Jenrick's out with the washing but more to the point, on the Big One, the Only One, the most important election there has ever ever been, SPIN have put up the EC supremacy spreads!

You can buy Harris @ 5. I'm doing it. It's just a matter of for how much and should I have it in addition to my betfair position or instead of it. Hmmm.

The Tory leadership election is the more interesting.
    The US presidential election has been like the western front on WW1 - huge amounts of effort and astonishingly little movement. Awful, but dull.
    The Tory leadership is more like the Eastern front - wild swings one way and the other, multiple participants, periodically dropping out. As an observer, fascinating (though still awful).

I concede the US presidential election is rather more consequential.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,937
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Breakfast in Geneva. Starving as no dinner

Good cappuccino, pleasant pear tart thing, nice ham roll. £17. Not great but not entirely budget busting?

I have £73 left

Jeez it really is gonna be kebabs

It's like an episode of Race across the world !!!!
    If only it included a phone and Internet ban...
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,702

Change the record.
    Give it a rest.

Change the record.
    Give it a rest.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDebmuA8KhM
  • Think Harris is a buy at 5 on that SPIN EC supremacy market..🧐
    Here's something to trigger a few people on here.

"Why James ‘normal’ Cleverly is the Tory leader Labour fears the most"

The Toolmakers Son is trembling as we speak.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/james-cleverly-conservative-leader-tory-kemi-jenrick-b2626375.html
    JENRICK is screwed.

TRUSS 2.0 Kemi now favourite to be Tory leader.

How did Cleverly's people not realise they needed to lend Bobby J some votes?
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,904
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Good cappuccino, pleasant pear tart thing, nice ham roll. £17. Not great but not entirely budget busting?

I have £73 left

Buy a little hand saw and a box of matches. Go gather enough wood to make a fire, then start hunting for roadkill or a stray cat.
    Save money - don’t cook your cat
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

The Tory leadership election is the more interesting.
    The US presidential election has been like the western front on WW1 - huge amounts of effort and astonishingly little movement. Awful, but dull.
    The Tory leadership is more like the Eastern front - wild swings one way and the other, multiple participants, periodically dropping out. As an observer, fascinating (though still awful).

I concede the US presidential election is rather more consequential.
    It has been a great show and wonderful trading market but that comes to an end today (probably). Then will be back to the standard "fade froth otherwise follow trend" of most political markets.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,251

Change the record.
    Give it a rest.
    Err No
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How much will that be?

I certainly am. I don't like fiction which invokes any sort of negative emotions whatsoever. I don't like to be made to feel scared, or stressed, or sad, or angry, or even vicariously awkward. I don't see why you would. My guard is up when I watch fiction and I can see all the warning signs of something about to try to make me feel something and I tune out, or go and wash the dishes, or turn it off and refuse to watch anything from that franchise again.
    Thus, I don't consume much fiction.
    Nigelb said:

Gov. Walz: We just learned today that Donald Trump was secretly sending COVID testing machines to Vladimir Putin that we couldn't even get in our states. Can we all just agree, this is the kind of stuff that would have ended political careers before they started?

America First populism.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,594
    edited 12:07PM
    Nigelb said:

This should be a fairly easy claim to prove. If true, there will be a paperwork trail, as just transporting the machine abroad will have required a load of people to be involved.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,562
    Taz said:

Leon said:

I have £73 left

It's like an episode of Race across the world !!!!
    Don’t get him started on Race.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,223

Nigelb said:

America First populism.
    Dictators of the world unite.
    edited 12:11PM

JENRICK is screwed.

How do you know they won't? On publically available evidence, the move to Kemi is overdone here imo and consequently while I'm still overweight Kemi I have taken quite a bit off. Although obviously she will shorten plenty if she gets to final two, I don't think it's reasonable to just assume "momentum" gets her there.

(Hope she does tho!)

(And I hope Jenrick does something petulant afterwards exposing what a bastard he is to even more)
    I’m about to have a beer in a lakeshore bar overlooking the Jet d’Eau

If anyone would like to join me you are more than welcome. Especially if you can get the bill
    Leon said:

If anyone would like to join me you are more than welcome. Especially if you can get the bill

I reckon that £73 will be gone in about 45 mins...
    edited 12:15PM
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,584
    Betfair is now putting Badenoch as favourite I see.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.205526560

Badeonch 2.36
    Cleverly 2.42
    Jenrick 7.8
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,904

According to the radio the Met said they originally denied it because of the “huge expense to the public purse”

I think this is part of the problem about the way policy decisions are made in this country. Allocating a couple of cars does not *cost* anything. There is an opportunity cost, sure, but that’s not the same thing

According to the radio the Met said they originally denied it because of the “huge expense to the public purse”

I think this is part of the problem about the way policy decisions are made in this country. Allocating a couple of cars does not *cost* anything. There is an opportunity cost, sure, but that’s not the same thing
    Had there been any kind of incident without the police assistance, the cost would have been very large indeed.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,410
    Leon said:

But, but, you are on expenses!
    Andy_JS said:

Badeonch 2.36
    Cleverly 2.42
    Jenrick 7.8

This is all over the place! Bobby J may yet get a happy ending.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How much will that be?

I don't mind a bit of eerieness if it's done in the right way.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,881
    Leon said:

Sounds like the days of bargain-bucket hiking in Pristina are far behind you. I'm still in Athens, looking at Lycabettus Hill from an excellent cafe in the National Gallery.

Nigelb said:

This should be a fairly easy claim to prove. If true, there will be a paperwork trail, as just transporting the machine abroad will have required a load of people to be involved.
    Perhaps this is the October surprise. Except for it being not at all surprising.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,157

JENRICK is screwed.

Someone knows something I don't; OR Jenrick is, at this moment, value.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,076

Nigelb said:

America First populism.
    Dictators of the world unite.
    Trump had a private side meeting with Putin at the Helsinki summit in 2018, with no advisers or officials present. Who will ever know what they discussed and what promises they made?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44852812

JENRICK is screwed.

How do you know they won't? On publically available evidence, the move to Kemi is overdone here imo and consequently while I'm still overweight Kemi I have taken quite a bit off. Although obviously she will shorten plenty if she gets to final two, I don't think it's reasonable to just assume "momentum" gets her there.

(Hope she does tho!)

(And I hope Jenrick does something petulant afterwards exposing what a bastard he is to even more)
    Jenrick’s a goner. Won’t last the afternoon.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,961
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How much will that be?

I certainly am. I don't like fiction which invokes any sort of negative emotions whatsoever. I don't like to be made to feel scared, or stressed, or sad, or angry, or even vicariously awkward. I don't see why you would. My guard is up when I watch fiction and I can see all the warning signs of something about to try to make me feel something and I tune out, or go and wash the dishes, or turn it off and refuse to watch anything from that franchise again.
    You'd have hated the start of Casualty over the years then - guess the traumatic accident waiting to happen!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,633

I think he means hit by a missile. No UK ships were torpedoed in the Falklands campaign, I believe.

Largely due to “black sky” ASW ops - they dropped a homing torpedo on anything that vaguely resembled a possible submarine contact.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,223
    Nigelb said:

Had there been any kind of incident without the police assistance, the cost would have been very large indeed.
    Its not even that, her tour was worth £1bn to the UK economy. She had pulled out of Austrian concerts the week before over security concerns, and her team said she would do the same here without the escort.

If they were mostly bluffing and it was a 5% chance of her pulling out, thats £50m lost. How does that compare to some police motorcyclists, already on payroll, for a couple of hours.......
    edited 12:25PM

JENRICK is screwed.

(Hope she does tho!)

Jenrick’s a goner. Won’t last the afternoon.
    I hope so. I think it's a bit more likely than not. But I don't see the justification for thinking it as much as the market does?

Edit - just saw 8s available. That's good enough for me to back fosho.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How much will that be?

A nice Hugh Grant romcom is usually a safe option. But even then you need to be wary of the odd scene straining to be 'edgy'.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,157
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How much will that be?

You would be safe with Jane Austen's 'Emma', you might even get away with Pride and Pejudice; don't try Jude the Obscure.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,025
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Perhaps this is the October surprise. Except for it being not at all surprising.
    Video footage of Trump shitting on an American flag wouldn't affect his poll ratings though
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,352
    Taz said:

Cookie said:

Change the record.
    I thought the "grown ups are back in charge".
    Cookie is ill-informed if he believes that 12 year old girls are the main cohort of Swifties! But, more to the point, Swift's favourability ratings are way higher than any politicians, so if you're a politician, you want to associate yourself with her in the hope some of that popularity will rub off.
    algarkirk said:

JENRICK is screwed.

Value loser.

And yes, the PCP know, hence why his price has crashed.
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Badeonch 2.36
    Cleverly 2.42
    Jenrick 7.8

This is all over the place! Bobby J may yet get a happy ending.
    Not gonna happen. He’s done.
    CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Video footage of Trump shitting on an American flag wouldn't affect his poll ratings though
    Yep. He gets his 45% regardless.

algarkirk said:

JENRICK is screwed.

Value loser.

And yes, the PCP know, hence why his price has crashed.
    Voting is only just about to start, but clearly it only takes knowledge of a handful of the right MPs voting intentions to know which way this will go. I wonder if Jenrick will lose support again in this round, and it won't even be close?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,602
    edited 12:31PM
    CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

He wears stars and bars adult diapers?
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,076

I think he means hit by a missile. No UK ships were torpedoed in the Falklands campaign, I believe.

Largely due to “black sky” ASW ops - they dropped a homing torpedo on anything that vaguely resembled a possible submarine contact.
    Heard an interesting talk about the Tornado raid while visiting Orford Ness a few years ago. They had to refuel a few times on the way out and on the way home and were limited to a single swoop over Stanley airport. Runways are quite narrow so it's hard to target them with a stick of bombs. If you fly parallel you risk missing the lot, if you fly across you have a better chance of hitting it with just one (which they did). It would have been an interesting excursion for the crews whose daily routine consisted of sitting on a plane loaded with nukes at the end of a runway, waiting for a green light.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,881
    Iran attack seems to be delayed by the U.S., I think. Perhaps Biden is exercising a bit more influence here.
    Going backwards yesterday was probably fatal for Jenrick's campaign. Momentum is everything in politics.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,362
    Government have asked a pension provider to model reducing tax-free lump sum to £100000:

https://news.sky.com/story/money-latest-consumer-personal-finance-skynews-13040934?postid=8412325#liveblog-body

Hopefully not for immediate implementation.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,352
    Fascinating header today. I think this reflects the breakdown in the traditional 2-party dominance in the UK, i.e. the rise of the SPLORG. The question is how that interacts with FPTP.

At the general election, the LibDems efficiently got votes where needed and ended up with a fairly proportional MP total. The Greens struggle with this, but made big improvements on previous years. The biggest disproportionality was with the Reform UK vote. So, what happens next election? Can RefUK "do a LibDem" and turn votes into seats, or do they continue as a spoiler and doom the right-wing vote?

For some, answers to that question are to be found in some sort of Con/Ref pact. However, the LibDems (and to a lesser extent Greens) managed to "do" FPTP without making any formal pact with Labour. I also note that RefUK did have a formal electoral pact at the start of the last general election campaign (with the TUV), which collapsed as soon as Farage opened his mouth. That doesn't suggest they can manage a more complicated one with the Tories!

But as long as we have FPTP, these concerns matter as much as the polling headline figures.
    JENRICK jenrick 11.5
    Nigelb said:

What is a covid testing machine? PCR? Pretty sure most US states would have access to PCR.
    This is a good use of CGI to illustrate the storm surge flooding expected in Florida:

https://x.com/0xwave/status/1843591864546648147
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,716

JENRICK jenrick 11.5

Ohhh!!!

My wallet is starting to hope.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,518
    Andy_JS said:
    England would be slightly ahead if everyone was playing at the proper rate.

Leon said:

You don’t even get a little choc or biccy with your espresso

Iran attack seems to be delayed by the U.S., I think. Perhaps Biden is exercising a bit more influence here.

Could be. I speculated that they could be waiting until nearer to the US election.

Or Israel may think it's better to do more damage to Hezbollah first, before turning to Iran.

Who knows, there might even be a delay on a shipment of special phones to Iran...

Nigelb said:

What is a covid testing machine? PCR? Pretty sure most US states would have access to PCR.
    The allegations says it was these,

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/detect-covid-19-in-as-little-as-5-minutes.html
  • agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 112
    Imperial for individuals; metric for machines; calculators for convenience.

JENRICK jenrick 11.5

Ohhh!!!

My wallet is starting to hope.
    I still. think that's stonking value.

But I am also enjoying imagining his anguished screams if the price is reflecting what's going on on the ground. Just a fraction of the pain of those poor refugee kids.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

You don’t even get a little choc or biccy with your espresso

i can see why MaxPB hated living there.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,697
    Cookie said:

Change the record.
    The Conservative Leadership Process (starting with gathering anonymous notes, ending with drawn-out cycles of allying, backstabbing and bitchy gossip) is almost exactly what a bunch of teenage girls would come up with.

Heard an interesting talk about the Tornado raid while visiting Orford Ness a few years ago. They had to refuel a few times on the way out and on the way home and were limited to a single swoop over Stanley airport. Runways are quite narrow so it's hard to target them with a stick of bombs. If you fly parallel you risk missing the lot, if you fly across you have a better chance of hitting it with just one (which they did). It would have been an interesting excursion for the crews whose daily routine consisted of sitting on a plane loaded with nukes at the end of a runway, waiting for a green light.
    Vulcan not Tornado.
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How much will that be?

A nice Hugh Grant romcom is usually a safe option. But even then you need to be wary of the odd scene straining to be 'edgy'.
    I'm not really the target market for romcoms, though I did find 4WAAF a not unenjoyable way to spend 90 minutes, the ending aside.
    Films I have enjoyed include:
    -24 Hour Party People (there is a sad, but you know it's coming because it's real, and it's dealt with brilliantly; also, very funny and very Northwestern)
    -2001 (I like a film to be confusing and nice to look at. Also no score trying to trick you into feeling things.)
    -Local Hero (understated is underrated)
    -The Royal Tenenbaums
    - Brian and Charles (though that one is at the upper limits of my stress tolerances)

Nigelb said:

The allegations says it was these,

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/detect-covid-19-in-as-little-as-5-minutes.html
    So PCR.
    I've been researching social media to get a sense of the Tory leadership race, and it seems that if they go for Badenoch, it will show that the Tory party is more racist and reactionary than ever.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,410
    Andy_JS said:
    Brutal day for the Pakistani bowlers. Nearly 400 runs conceded for 2 wickets. Whilst it is great to see some fine shots this is not a meaningful competition between bat and ball. If Pakistan want bigger crowds at their test matches they are going to have to produce much better wickets than this.

As for Brook, I am pretty sure he doesn't want England to play anywhere else. Astonishing record.

Cookie said:

Change the record.
    The Conservative Leadership Process (starting with gathering anonymous notes, ending with drawn-out cycles of allying, backstabbing and bitchy gossip) is almost exactly what a bunch of teenage girls would come up with.
    Haha - yes, that describes my middle daughter's social circle perfectly.