Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Most Brits would either be unbothered or pleased if the Malvinas went to Argentina

13»

Comments

• Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,180
    edited October 4
    Andy_JS said:

This is mildly interesting — one of Mel Stride's supporters, in the shape of Desmond Swayne, is now backing Robert Jenrick. Shows how you can't make easy assumptions about how votes will transfer between candidates.

https://conservativehome.com/2024/10/02/next-tory-leader-which-mp-is-backing-whom-cleverly-surges-ahead-to-two-supporters/

I think if you look back through previous Tory leadership elections this century, and categorise the candidates as wet / remain / centrist / one nation etc. vs dry / leave / right etc. there is always small but notable movement in each round between the camps. Perhaps of up to 5-10% of the overall selectorate.

So, when a centrist is eliminated, a few of those votes float right, and conversely float back to the centre when a right winger is eliminated.

It is almost as if some have a concept of best candidate separate from the right / centre axis.

To use a couple of examples:

Jenrick/ Badenoch / Patel vs Tugendhat / Cleverly / Stride

Round 1: 64 right Vs 54 centre
    Round 2: 61 right Vs 58 centre

Contested 2022 election:

Round 1: 122 right (Truss, Bad, Brav) Vs 235 others*
    Round 2: 140 right Vs 216 others
    Round 3: 129 right Vs 228 others
    Round 4: 145 right Vs 210 others
    Round 5: 113 right Vs 242 others

* Some candidates were not clear left - Hunt and Tugendhat campaigned that side, Penny got painted on woke, Sunak on economics in contrast to Truss, I don't recall Zahawi campaigning as on a particular wing.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,795

kinabalu said:

I'm actually surprised that as many as 35% would be "upset". That's an awful lot of Blimps we still have here in 2024.

How many people would be upset if, oh I don't know, some French people came and took over their home?

Fuck of a sight more than 35% is my guess.
    If it were Scott_XP he would probably love it.

It's the only way he's getting back into the EU any time soon.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,342

Tower Bridge as seen from the 58th floor of 22 Bishopsgate earlier today.

Unpopular opinion: pre-Disney muck.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,612

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    16m
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Revealed: 36 rail projects face axe #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://x.com/hendopolis/status/1842303300537843823

The North to be hit hardest.

Every time. Every single time.

I am sure we were told this government was all about growth....and how do you get growth, one big driver is upgrading infrastructure. But its ok we are going to waste £20bn on some BS carbon capture nonsense instead.

I thought this was an interesting video talking about that widely cited Foundations paper. The guy makes some sensible and balanced points.

Could This Fix the UK Economy?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NJnbSdKopU
    I tell you. They are going to be the Worst Government Ever and we will be begging for Liz Truss to come back

We are not even four months in
    I genuinely can't work out what they are doing. The whole point of Labour is yin to Tory yang, we haven't invested enough in infrastructure, we have imported millions of people, we need more capacity, more hospitals, roads, rail, airports, schools, compute, etc....all the stuff you expect Labour to really go for, and they have plenty of political cover to borrow to do so.

Instead its some stupidly expensive carbon capture and some windmills and pylons via PFI, while cancelling hospital building, super computers, new rail, now roads....

If they do manage to sort out the planning system to build millions of new homes, there isn't going to be the infrastructure to support it.
    Leeds goalkeeper has just made the howler of howlers letting the ball slip through his hands at the end of added time gifting Sunderland an equaliser

It reminds me of the way some football supporter's chant

'you do not know what you are doing'

This is very apt for Starmer, especially with his football connections
    Sir Keir will simply have to console himself with a wafer-thin 172 seat working majority, just five short years until the election, and an ephemeral 4-5 point lead in the opinion polls.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,221
    edited October 4
    carnforth said:

Probably quite a widespread opinion. I’m not a fan.

The pretty ones further upstream, and the Dartford bridge downstream, are better.
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 119
    Leon said:

Am I even in a country? Is Kosovo a country?

Fascinating

Nope. Serbia.

It's not right, of course.. In the same way that Taiwan, Tibet, Macao and HK being part of China ain't right. But there we go.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,694

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    16m

I am sure we were told this government was all about growth....and how do you get growth, one big driver is upgrading infrastructure. But its ok we are going to waste £20bn on some BS carbon capture nonsense instead.

I thought this was an interesting video talking about that widely cited Foundations paper. The guy makes some sensible and balanced points.

I tell you. They are going to be the Worst Government Ever and we will be begging for Liz Truss to come back

I genuinely can't work out what they are doing. The whole point of Labour is yin to Tory yang, we haven't invested enough in infrastructure, we have imported millions of people, we need more capacity, more hospitals, roads, rail, airports, schools, compute, etc....all the stuff you expect Labour to really go for, and they have plenty of political cover to borrow to do so.

Instead its some stupidly expensive carbon capture and some windmills and pylons via PFI, while cancelling hospital building, super computers, new rail, now roads....

If they do manage to sort out the planning system to build millions of new homes, there isn't going to be the infrastructure to support it.
    Leeds goalkeeper has just made the howler of howlers letting the ball slip through his hands at the end of added time gifting Sunderland an equaliser

Sir Keir will simply have to console himself with a wafer-thin 172 seat working majority, just five short years until the election, and an ephemeral 4-5 point lead in the opinion polls.
    This is another poll showing his personal ratings in free fall. Down 25 points in 14 weeks. Quite spectacular

Still, he’s got that charm, wit and easy manner so he can turn it all around. Plus deep personal honesty, no skeletons shrieking in the cupboard, and a hatful of brilliant ideas for remaking Britain
    Andy_JS said:

Slight problem for Tugendhat if we look back to one of his decisions in 2022.

"Tory leadership: Tom Tugendhat backs Liz Truss
    29 July 2022"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62354297

TUGENDHAT

TRUSS
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

The pretty ones further upstream, and the Dartford bridge downstream, are better.
    Oh give over. Its superbly iconic

Surely the most famous bridge in the world, and also unmistakeable (unlike other famous bridges)
    KnightOut said:

Leon said:

Fascinating

Nope. Serbia.

It's not right, of course.. In the same way that Taiwan, Tibet, Macao and HK being part of China ain't right. But there we go.
    Very different though. Kosovo has de facto independence. Those other examples don’t. In that sense it’s more like Abkhazia, Transnistria or (until a couple of years ago) Nagorno Karabakh.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,640
    Leon said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

Surely the most famous bridge in the world, and also unmistakeable (unlike other famous bridges)
    2nd only to the one over troubled waters.
    edited October 4
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    16m

This is another poll showing his personal ratings in free fall. Down 25 points in 14 weeks. Quite spectacular

Still, he’s got that charm, wit and easy manner so he can turn it all around. Plus deep personal honesty, no skeletons shrieking in the cupboard, and a hatful of brilliant ideas for remaking Britain
    Agreed. The opprobrium from you, and the PB Tories, will cut. And cut hard.

He has no choice but to stem the bloodletting with a wafer-thin 172 seat working majority, just five short years until the election, and an ephemeral 4-5 point lead in the opinion polls.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,287
    kinabalu said:

I'm actually surprised that as many as 35% would be "upset". That's an awful lot of Blimps we still have here in 2024.

A majority of 2019 Conservative voters think the Falkland Islands should stay part of the UK, with just over a third saying it is up to the Falkland Islanders themselves
    https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/Internal_IndependenceFromUK_230516.pdf
    edited October 4
    Leon said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

It’s the faux mediaeval stones. Like stone cladding on terraced houses. But yes it’s iconic and the opening mechanism is fun.

I’d say the most famous bridge in the world is the Rialto in Venice.

EDIT: or the golden gate
    Nah, Kosovo is a country.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    16m

He has no choice but to stem the bloodletting with a wafer-thin 172 seat working majority, just five short years until the election, and an ephemeral 4-5 point lead in the opinion polls.
    Repetition has a definite role in humour. Characteristically, you’ve not found it
    @James_Macintyre
    Tory race mini story: Keir Starmer told a very senior MP in September 2022, days after that Tory contest, that the moment he knew Labour would win was when Tom Tugendhat was eliminated; that TT was 'credible'; and that Labour had done polling showing only TT could beat Labour
    https://x.com/James_Macintyre/status/1842155000962687264
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    16m

Repetition has a definite role in humour. Characteristically, you’ve not found it
    I wasn’t trying to be humorous.

Repetition has a part in educating the hard of understanding.

Characteristically, you’ve not heard.
    edited October 4
    Andy_JS said:

29 July 2022"

On that basis so did Cleverly also back Truss while Jenrick backed Sunak.
    HYUFD said:

@James_Macintyre
    Tory race mini story: Keir Starmer told a very senior MP in September 2022, days after that Tory contest, that the moment he knew Labour would win was when Tom Tugendhat was eliminated; that TT was 'credible'; and that Labour had done polling showing only TT could beat Labour

He was quite probably right about that.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

It’s the faux mediaeval stones. Like stone cladding on terraced houses. But yes it’s iconic and the opening mechanism is fun.

It’s not. In terms of immediately identifiable bridges - ie famous - I bet Tower Bridge is first

The problem with all the others is that a bridge is a bridge is a bridge. Golden Gate is lovely, but are you sure you’re looking at the right suspension bridge?! Sydney Harbour is great but many bridges look like that

I wonder if the Rialto makes the top ten. It’s not an iconic sight of Venice, not like St Mark’s, the Campanile, the Grand Canal, the gondolas

Millau viaduct, if we count it as a bridge, SHOULD be right up there but I doubt it is globally famous
    HYUFD said:

@James_Macintyre

FWIW my view is Labour fear Mordaunt. Or at least the thinking parts of Labour's team do.

If the tory party has any sense she will be back on a by-election midway through this parliament.

Tory party electing a two year failure like Jenrick as they seem now likely to do means she has a shot in 2028/9.

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,239
    TimS said:

KnightOut said:

Leon said:

Fascinating

Nope. Serbia.

Very different though. Kosovo has de facto independence. Those other examples don’t. In that sense it’s more like Abkhazia, Transnistria or (until a couple of years ago) Nagorno Karabakh.
    As of 4 September 2020, 104 out of 193 (53.9%) United Nations member states, 22 out of 27 (81.5%) European Union member states, 28 out of 32 (87.5%) NATO member states, 4 out of 10 (40%) ASEAN member states, and 34 out of 57 (59.6%) Organisation of Islamic Cooperation member states have recognised Kosovo.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_recognition_of_Kosovo
    Tower Bridge is great, if a bit cheesy.

Hammersmith Bridge is London’s finest bridge.

But I love all her bridges, and could go on…
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

It’s not. In terms of immediately identifiable bridges - ie famous - I bet Tower Bridge is first

The problem with all the others is that a bridge is a bridge is a bridge. Golden Gate is lovely, but are you sure you’re looking at the right suspension bridge?! Sydney Harbour is great but many bridges look like that

I wonder if the Rialto makes the top ten. It’s not an iconic sight of Venice, not like St Mark’s, the Campanile, the Grand Canal, the gondolas

Millau viaduct, if we count it as a bridge, SHOULD be right up there but I doubt it is globally famous
    Google tells me the top is the Golden Gate, then the Ponte Vecchio (surprising, but remember “famous” means among Americans and they know Italy more than other countries), and Tower Bridge is 5th just after Sydney Harbour. Rialto is a paltry 9th.
    edited October 4

HYUFD said:

@James_Macintyre

FWIW my view is Labour fear Mordaunt. Or at least the thinking parts of Labour's team do.

If the tory party has any sense she will be back on a by-election midway through this parliament.

Tory party electing a two year failure like Jenrick as they seem now likely to do means she has a shot in 2028/9.

Labour do, or did, certainly fear her. But whenever she has had a chance to ascend she has proved rubbish.

She’s one of those politicians who is better in theory than in practice.
    I asked a friend of mine who is actually a bridge-designer to list the top ten

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, USA
    Brooklyn Bridge, New York City, USA
    Sydney Harbour Bridge, Sydney, Australia
    Rialto Bridge, Venice, Italy
    Charles Bridge, Prague, Czech Republic
    Pont du Gard, Vers-Pont-du-Gard, France
    Millau Viaduct, Millau-Creissels, France
    Ponte Vecchio, Florence, Italy
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Not a bad list. I don’t agree with Brooklyn Bridge being so high, and WTF is this Helix Bridge?!

I’d put the Bridge of Sighs in Venice in there somewhere, and Pont du Gard is barely a bridge at all
    edited October 4

I like mediaeval ones. The old bridge in Hereford. The pont d’avignon. The old bridge at Mostar. But wouldn’t it be great if we still had the old house-covered London Bridge, and the pre-fire mediaeval city. UNESCO world heritage site mediaeval London, a square mile of timber framed grandeur, dotted with church spires, putting every other European mediaeval quarter in the shade. Ringed by towering skyscrapers, but untouched in its core.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

Google tells me the top is the Golden Gate, then the Ponte Vecchio (surprising, but remember “famous” means among Americans and they know Italy more than other countries), and Tower Bridge is 5th just after Sydney Harbour. Rialto is a paltry 9th.
    My friend - maker of bridges - disagrees. See above
    TimS said:

I like mediaeval ones. The old bridge in Hereford. The pont d’avignon. The old bridge at Mostar. But wouldn’t it be great if we still had the old house-covered London Bridge, and the pre-fire mediaeval city. UNESCO world heritage site mediaeval London, a square mile of timber framed grandeur, dotted with church spires, putting every other European mediaeval quarter in the shade. Ringed by towering skyscrapers, but untouched in its core.
    Paris could once boast the same, indeed probably better. Levelled by Haussmann
    Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Not a bad list. I don’t agree with Brooklyn Bridge being so high, and WTF is this Helix Bridge?!

I’d put the Bridge of Sighs in Venice in there somewhere, and Pont du Gard is barely a bridge at all

Interesting list.

I had to look up Pont du Gard.

It does look pretty awesome?

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

It does, but it’s an aqueduct

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

You’ve never heard of it??!

It’s world famous. Arguably the most impressive Roman remains on earth after the Temple of Jupiter at Baalbek
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

Yes I agree. A bridge has to carry PEOPLE

So I’d allow Millau but not Pont du Gard

HYUFD said:

@James_Macintyre

We will see, even Jenrick may be able to squeeze the Reform vote and Labour redwall vote
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

It’s world famous. Arguably the most impressive Roman remains on earth after the Temple of Jupiter at Baalbek
    I had never heard of it. For shame, perhaps. And I love France and spend most of my holidays touring it!
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

Surely an aqueduct is a type of bridge…

(yes, I know, I know, Pandora)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,239
    edited October 4
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

The megalithic blocks in the lower levels suggest the original structure at Baalbek was built by a much earlier civilisation.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

I had never heard of it. For shame, perhaps. And I love France and spend most of my holidays touring it!
    That is a weird lacuna. I’ve seen it three times, most recently with my elder daughter this summer gone. Sadly it is now INTENSELY touristy - if you go, try and go in the off season. You don’t need bright hot sunshine to admire it - in fact that makes it less enjoyable - a sweat

A clear crisp winter day would be perfect. It is properly awesome
    edited October 4

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

When I met my wife she’d never heard Yesterday by the Beatles. Never heard it. The ubiquitous Yesterday.

These little gaps are fascinating. Statistically everybody must have something like this.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

The megalithic blocks in the lower levels suggest the original structure at Baalbek was built by a much earlier civilisation.
    I’ve clambered over them. It was the day before the day I got held at gunpoint by Hezbollah
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

That is a weird lacuna. I’ve seen it three times, most recently with my elder daughter this summer gone. Sadly it is now INTENSELY touristy - if you go, try and go in the off season. You don’t need bright hot sunshine to admire it - in fact that makes it less enjoyable - a sweat

Thanks, I will try. A lacuna!
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,317
    Those people who were “expecting a terrible backlash for Starmer over the Chagos Islands” were already delusional. I can only hope they are big bettors, because they’re the ones the rest of us can make money from!
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

When I met my wife she’d never heard Yesterday by the Beatles. Never heard it. The ubiquitous Yesterday.

These little gaps are fascinating. Statistically everybody must have something like this.
    https://xkcd.com/1053/
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,498
    Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting because Joe Bloggs would probably have come up with pretty much the same list.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

When you first see it, that is a genuine OMFG moment. Its SO BIG

It expresses the monumental power of Roman engineering, and Rome itself. They built this just for transporting water????

The Temple of Jupiter at Baalbek is even more daunting. It’s quite numbing in its scale. Sadly less accessible right now

And on this pleasingly classical note, goodnight from Kosovo
    Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Woody Allen chooses Queensboro bridge in N York for iconic scenes in his greatest movie.

Not Brooklyn.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting list.

When you first see it, that is a genuine OMFG moment. Its SO BIG

It expresses the monumental power of Roman engineering, and Rome itself. They built this just for transporting water????

The Temple of Jupiter at Baalbek is even more daunting. It’s quite numbing in its scale. Sadly less accessible right now

And on this pleasingly classical note, goodnight from Kosovo
    Enjoy your trip. I didn’t quite get there in my tour of the Balkans but I will probably wish I had. Apparently the Serbs consider it the jewel of their homeland (despite the fact it’s no longer part of their territory).
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,222

The problem with the Falklands is that a population of 3662 rattle around 4700 square miles (half the area of Wales). Some of the inhabitants are presumably employed defending the others. They are quite literally a waste of space.

There is, of course, the vexed question of oil reserves. I suggest we leave it in the ground in accordance with Government policy. Future generations will thank us.

The Falkland Islanders have recently realised that it is apparently none of our business if they want to extract the oil and have started the process of licencing for the development of the Sealion and other fields. They basically told the Government that the ban on new licences does not apply to them and are pushing ahead with a development programme.

The problem with the Falklands is that a population of 3662 rattle around 4700 square miles (half the area of Wales). Some of the inhabitants are presumably employed defending the others. They are quite literally a waste of space.

There is, of course, the vexed question of oil reserves. I suggest we leave it in the ground in accordance with Government policy. Future generations will thank us.

The Falkland Islanders have recently realised that it is apparently none of our business if they want to extract the oil and have started the process of licencing for the development of the Sealion and other fields. They basically told the Government that the ban on new licences does not apply to them and are pushing ahead with a development programme.
    I had no idea. Thanks. Amazing what one learns on PB even at midnight.
    edited October 4
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    16m

This video is a good example of it. Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse sketch from about 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHR5Ly3TrwM
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

Interesting because Joe Bloggs would probably have come up with pretty much the same list.
    Or ChatGPT.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,259
    edited October 4
    I think Labour's main problems are 1) WFA cut was a political blunder and 2) poor comms.
    My honest guess is that Matt Doyle (Head of Comms) is out of his depth and will probably get moved on in the near future.
    Much of the stuff PB Tories have been moaning about, including the Chagos Islands, smoking, licensing laws... are pretty irrelevant.

I think Labour's main problems are 1) WFA cut was a political blunder and 2) poor comms.
    My honest guess is that Matt Doyle (Head of Comms) is out of his depth and will probably get moved on in the near future.

Doubt one can blame him for 1.

That is down entirely to Reeves and it was a category 5 unforced error.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,456
    edited October 4

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    16m

What I want to know is who sold them this carbon capture idea.

Nobody sane would come up with it as a solution to anything.

20bn is a lot of insulation. Or solar panels. Or batteries. Or even an entire tidal scheme.

It doesn't product any return other than some vague thing to grandstand about at the kind of international conferences nobody really cares about. And maybe a few jobs importing Chinese pipes.

The decision on BIOT is the same. Buying 'goodwill' from the wrong people.
    From what I understand, the 22Bn is a future promise to pay money for carbon actually captured and stored. So there is no chance that any money will be paid out before the next election - it will take years to build the actual carbon capture facilities.

I have a certain sympathy to this approach - offer a bounty for actual results delivered. I would like to do something similar for ZEV power storage.
    Thanks - I hadn't appreciated that it wasn't actually an investment. That's slightly less bad, but who would be mad enough to build such a facility?

You'd have to take the output of more than one gas station to make it worthwhile and there is no chance of any profit other than through gathering government carbon credits which may or may not have a time limit.

Free carbon dioxide capture as carbonate (or whatever) would be a lot more interesting.

There was an attempt at CCS in the Flatlands some time ago. The plan was for a coal gasification plant, a power station and carbon capture via a pipeline to the North Sea.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-17534481

I don't think the numbers ever really stacked up and it never got off the ground.

They are still doing experiments with the local underground gas storage facility to monitor ground heave in order to plan for carbon capture but I still don't really buy it as having much of a future.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-024-73548-9

Much of the stuff PB Tories have been moaning about, including the Chagos Islands, smoking, licensing laws... are pretty irrelevant.

People want a bit of optimism from a new government. There's none atm.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,178
    Andy_JS said:

This is mildly interesting — one of Mel Stride's supporters, in the shape of Desmond Swayne, is now backing Robert Jenrick. Shows how you can't make easy assumptions about how votes will transfer between candidates.

https://conservativehome.com/2024/10/02/next-tory-leader-which-mp-is-backing-whom-cleverly-surges-ahead-to-two-supporters/

And why not, if Jenrick is really a centrist cos-playing right?

TimS said:

Leon said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    16m

It’s weird. Really weird. And nobody on government is making any effort to communicate about this or explain what’s going on.

Either they’re being spun against like no previous government and this stuff is all nonsense, or the entire apparatus of government has been taken over by beancounters.
    It's only a matter of time before Mandelson is bought into No 10 to help get a bloody grip.
    I was wondering about him. They need someone to get a grip who knows his way around govt and understands comms. The return of the prince of darkness? Desperate times, desperate measures....
    Are you sure Mandelson is not already there, at least in spirit? Starmer seems to be channelling the mantra of the leader taking on his own party, like Blair with Clause 4 or Cameron with grammar schools. Not to mention relaxation around the wealthy. If you look at the early days of Blair's government, you see Bernie Ecclestone's million quid and entirely coincidental carve out to the fags ban, concessions to the EU in return for a French commitment to do sod all, and more foreign wars than you can shake a howitzer at.

Andy_JS said:

29 July 2022"

TUGENDHAT

TRUSS
    Tugendhat backed Truss against Sunak. Let's not get carried away with the idea that Rishi was some sort of closet centrist. In any case, from the linked story, Tugendhat seems more concerned with foreign policy, where Truss had years of experience negotiating trade deals (at a stretch) and as Foreign Secretary.
    Just noticed on Twitter that some Labour supporters are not happy that Have I Got News For You has finally started making fun of Starmer and the government.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,286

From last time I looked, those fields were all a little economically marginal; you'd make good money if the oil price was $90+, but if it was $60-70, then you'd be struggling to cover your cost of capital.
    "Tory gasps as Robert Jenrick reveals daughter’s middle name is Thatcher

Leadership candidate tells party conference he thought it was a good way to remind daughter of a great PM"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/oct/01/tory-gasps-as-robert-jenrick-reveals-daughters-middle-name-is-thatcher
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,517
    edited October 5
    Andy_JS said:

Just noticed on Twitter that some Labour supporters are not happy that Have I Got News For You has finally started making fun of Starmer and the government.

They obviously missed 1997-2010....them the rules.

Does HIGNY still get big viewership? I stopped watching donkeys years ago when Labour was still in power as guest hosts were hit and miss, and started to feel like regulars were too often phoning it in.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,749

Andy_JS said:

They obviously missed 1997-2010....them the rules.

Does HIGNY still get big viewership? I stopped watching donkeys years ago when Labour was still in power as guest hosts were hit and miss, and started to feel like regulars were too often phoning it in.
    It gets around 3.5 to 4.5 million which is not bad to be fair. Down around a million over the last few years but still decent.

We no longer watch it. All a bit smug and self satisfied. The regulars phoning it in is spot on. You get the feeling they go through the motions. Hislop is just smug and Merton just appears half interested although that is probably more his persona.

Both Hislop and Merton had a spell as making documentaries for the Beeb. Hislops shot at dawn and Merton birth of Hollywood were both excellent.

But this is just tired and tedious but while it still draws ratings I guess it’s the old Alan partridge line. People like it, let’s make some more.
    Andy_JS said:

There’s a touch of that here, with the odd flounce, with some of the more partisan labour supporters being unable to accept now they’re in power and have a record to defend they may be subject to scrutiny, criticism and even mockery.
    edited October 5
    Biden at a press conference saying he does not know,if Israel is trying to sway the US election which pretty much means he thinks they are.

Israel still has not decided on its retaliation. The Indy reports today they may target Irans nuclear sites although it claims the western allies are cautioning them not to same with the oil facilities.

Israel has shown time and time again it is happy to take western aid and weapons but will do as it pleases. Biden is a fool for giving a nation working against him and his party so much support.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cje3zl0dq2ko
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,795
    edited October 5
    HYUFD said:

@James_Macintyre

Good story. But it was hypothetical polling.

Therefore totally worthless.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,993
    edited October 5
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting. Town council election.
    Good morning.

Heanor and Loscoe, and other local areas, were BNP central 15 years ago.

There's a hard right vote there.

As a strategy, it makes sense for Reform given their nativist positioning and dog whistles.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,886
    LAB-S&D: 31% (-1)
    CON~ECR: 23% (+1)
    REFORM~NI: 18%
    LDEM-RE: 13%
    GREENS-G/EFA: 7%
    SNP-G/EFA: 2%

+/- vs. 25-26 September 2024

Fieldwork: 2–3 October 2024
    Sample size: 1,643

Pretty comfortable lead for Labour, indeed very little change in 3 months.
    Leon said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

Sydney might disagree, as might the Firth of Forth. *

(* Fun Fact: The former was designed by Scottish and English architects. The latter was designed and built constructed by two English engineers. :smile: )
    edited October 5
    Andy_JS said:

That "HIGNIFY has finally started making fun of Starmer and the Government" is a bit strained, bearing in mind that the last series of HIGNFY ended on 7 June, and last night was Episode 1 of the new series.

That Was the Week That Was hasn't made fun of him, either - Tut.

:smiley:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Have_I_Got_News_for_You_episodes#Series_67_(2024)
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,667
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:

That "HIGNIFY has finally started making fun of Starmer and the Government" is a bit strained, bearing in mind that the last series of HIGNFY ended on 7 June, and last night was Episode 1 of the new series.

That Was the Week That Was hasn't made fun of him, either - Tut.

:smiley:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Have_I_Got_News_for_You_episodes#Series_67_(2024)
    One of my memories of 1997 was Richard Wilson on the HIGNFY election special. Richard Wilson was a guest. He,started very smug but got leas pleased as the jokes about the incoming Labour government started...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,016
    Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

The Bridge of Sighs in Oxford is nicer, IMO, but neither are top ten.

China has some wild bridges; they're just not well enough known.for one to make the list.

But Ribblehead Viaduct, surely ?

• FF43FF43 Posts: 17,019
    MattW said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

(* Fun Fact: The former was designed by Scottish and English architects. The latter was designed and built constructed by two English engineers. :smile: )
    Even fun-er fact the Forth Bridge was built with the contribution of Japanese engineer Kaichi Watanabe who was studying in Scotland at the time. Here's a picture of him testing the design.

https://www.engineering.com/engineering-icons-demonstrating-the-principle-of-the-forth-bridge/#:~:text=Scottish-educated Japanese engineer, Kaichi,Scotland's Forth River in 1887.

Forth Bridge is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with Ironbridge in Shropshire. I would rate the greatest bridge in the UK.
    Foxy said:

For all the excitement, for all the new government has got wrong, for all it has enemies on its left and right, it's striking how little headway the opposition has made. Labour were comfortably ahead on the polls by this point after '79, and got their first tie three months after 2010.

Of course it's all a bit of fun at this stage, and some of the internals are grim. But "best of a bad bunch" wins and will continue to win until someone better comes along.

And there's still not much sign of that.
    Foxy said:

The Conservative lead over Reform UK, Reform’s lead over the LibDems, and the LibDems’ lead over the Greens are all smaller than Labour’s lead over the Tories.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,598
    FF43 said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

carnforth said:

Even fun-er fact the Forth Bridge was built with the contribution of Japanese engineer Kaichi Watanabe who was studying in Scotland at the time. Here's a picture of him testing the design.

https://www.engineering.com/engineering-icons-demonstrating-the-principle-of-the-forth-bridge/#:~:text=Scottish-educated Japanese engineer, Kaichi,Scotland's Forth River in 1887.

Forth Bridge is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, along with Ironbridge in Shropshire. I would rate the greatest bridge in the UK.
    I studied geo eng, but have a fondness for bridges. One of my favourites is Kylesku in the far northwest of Scotland;

It should not be spectacular. It's a relatively (compared to those mentioned above) small bridge of concrete construction. Yet the way it was designed, with its curves, perfectly fits into a rather desolate landscape. when viewed from some angles, it looks spectacular.

Whereas the Skye Bridge, despite its usefulness, is boring and antiseptic; a lumbering mass imposed on the landscape, rather than part of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kylesku_Bridge

There's also one I like (though I haven't seen it in decades) at the far other end of the scale - Postbridge Clapper Bridge.

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/enjoy-dartmoor/places/postbridge

Some of the small packhorse bridges on the Wye and other rivers in the Peak District can also be exquisite as well.

Foxy said:

The Conservative lead over Reform UK, Reform’s lead over the LibDems, and the LibDems’ lead over the Greens are all smaller than Labour’s lead over the Tories.
    The LabCon lead over the SPLORG remains historically small. 54:46
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,435
    @AlexTaylorNews
    Oh look !

Johnson admits gleefully in his book the £350 million for the NHS figure was a blatant lie but, we read, "it was still a brilliant slogan because it had what they call cut-through"

What an absolute fucking dork. We all lost rights because of this pound-shop charlatan

https://x.com/AlexTaylorNews/status/1841859329810432183

@MarinaPurkiss

And yet so many of you still love him for lying to you…
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,673

NEW THREAD

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,598
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Tower Bridge, London, UK
    Helix Bridge, Singapore

The Bridge of Sighs in Oxford is nicer, IMO, but neither are top ten.

China has some wild bridges; they're just not well enough known.for one to make the list.

But Ribblehead Viaduct, surely ?

Oddly enough, if I ask Copilot for the 'ten best bridges in the world', I get a list rather like the one Leon's 'friend' produced. I would have expected a 'bridge designer' to have some favs and/or 'bests' that were less well-known.

Still, this conversation has led me to get my copy of 'An encyclopedia of British Bridges' out of my bookcase to flick through. So it's not a bad thing. ;)

And I've immediately turned to the Pont-y-Cafnau (which I've never visited). Built in 1793, and the first cast-iron rail bridge in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont-y-Cafnau

Foxy said:

For all the excitement, for all the new government has got wrong, for all it has enemies on its left and right, it's striking how little headway the opposition has made. Labour were comfortably ahead on the polls by this point after '79, and got their first tie three months after 2010.

Of course it's all a bit of fun at this stage, and some of the internals are grim. But "best of a bad bunch" wins and will continue to win until someone better comes along.

The Tories would gain almost forty Labour seats on that new poll.

William Hague would have given his eye teeth for a poll like that in late 1997
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 301
    rcs1000 said:

From last time I looked, those fields were all a little economically marginal; you'd make good money if the oil price was $90+, but if it was $60-70, then you'd be struggling to cover your cost of capital.
    The design and operating seastates must be frightening.
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Though forty gains from where they are now would still leave the Conservatives with fewer seats than Hague won in 2001.

Not that the polls really matter at this point.

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Though forty gains from where they are now would still leave the Conservatives with fewer seats than Hague won in 2001.

Not that the polls really matter at this point.
    Hague would also have given his eye teeth for a mere 8% Labour lead in late 1997
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 3,001
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

There’s a touch of that here, with the odd flounce, with some of the more partisan labour supporters being unable to accept now they’re in power and have a record to defend they may be subject to scrutiny, criticism and even mockery.
    IF only the various news channels would offer scrutiny and criticism to the political process as a whole, then maybe a light entertainment programme would seem less important.