Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Kemi-kaze does it again as punters abandon her – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,055
edited October 1 in General
imageKemi-kaze does it again as punters abandon her – politicalbetting.com

Another ‘clarification’ coming soon https://t.co/1Wciu3irwS

Read the full story here

Comments

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,507
    edited October 1
    She's blown it. No surprise really – her purported appeal was lost on me and, it seems, almost everyone else.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,663
    Evening all :)

Not sure quite how we find space for 50,000 additional prisoners given the disaster that was Conservative prison policy.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    I've only been dipping in and out of the Tory leadership contest, I've just kind of assumed Jenrick would win. Apparetly punters think the same, though I cannot really put my finger on why he is the more popular choice.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,604
    edited October 1
    kle4 said:

I've only been dipping in and out of the Tory leadership contest, I've just kind of assumed Jenrick would win. Apparetly punters think the same, though I cannot really put my finger on why he is the more popular choice.

Because he's a lawyer.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,542
    How is he proposing to house these 50,000 extra prisoners?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,069
    When do they reduce it to the two going to the membership

I should know but I don't !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I don't know about civil servants but it seems putting 5-10% of politicians in jail might not be far off the mark.
    kle4 said:

That's down to the membership - a dwindling band of ≈ 100,000 whose judgement in recent years has been a little off to say the least.

They will vote for the most red meat fantasy politics candidate of the two put before them it seems.

But maybe somehow sense will prevail and Cleverly will make it.

Rounds three and four are next Wednesday and Thursday.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,652
    The clever money is not going on Kemi.

She's blown it. No surprise really – her purported appeal was lost on me and, it seems, almost everyone else.

As I have posted before - just not ready for prime time. Needs more time to learn to keep her batwing mad thoughts in her head and not on a journo's recording device.

But then again - the tory position is so dire, maybe rolling the dice with her might work out?

At least everyone in UK would know who she is by time of next election as there is one outrage after another.
    Leon said:

Is this a NEW THREADS?

Well I am based in Sheffield...
  • GaussianGaussian Posts: 824

kle4 said:

Because he's a lawyer.
    Yeah, they need to fight fire with fire. Or indeed boring crooked lawyer with boring crooked lawyer.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,046
    Leon said:

Is this a NEW THREADS?

Less horrifying ... so far.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,394

Leon said:

Is this a NEW THREADS?

Indeed, so far

But if this is it, my God that is pathetic

The whole of social media is full of pro-Hezbollah, Shiite militant, Israel-hating rabid dogs screaming for Iran to finally take proper revenge, SMITE the Jewish state. avenge all the terrible humiliations,. from the pagers to the assassinations and now the invasion... and.... this is it???

They are not happy. They are very unhappy. Iran looks like a damp paper tiger scared of its smartphone

Could be a regime-toppler
  • A little US polling fun on the prediction of those companies polling at least 6 of the 7 key states

Trafalgar (Very Rep bias) - Trump 291, Harris 232, Tied 15
    Patriot (Very Rep bias) - Trump 281, Harris 241, Tied 16
    InsiderAdvantage (Leans Rep) - Trump 275, Harris 252, Tied 11
    AtlasIntel (Rep bias) - Trump 274, Harris 248, Tied 16
    Siena (Neutral) - Trump 262, Harris 255, Tied 21
    Emerson (Neutral) - Trump 256, Harris 241, Tied 41
    Redfield & Wilton (British) - Trump 251, Harris 241, Tied 46
    Marist (Neutral) - Harris 251, Trump 246, Tied 41
    CNN / SSRS (Neutral) - Harris 273, Trump 230, Tied 35
    YouGov (Neutral) - Harris 276, Trump 262
    Morning Consult (Leans Dem) - Harris 303, Trump 219, Tied 16
    Focaldata (British) - Harris 303, Trumpo 235

So that is the (very tight) state of the polling. I suspect the sstate of the actual race may be somewhat different but we shall see
    The most unrealistic thing about Threads is that the survivors didn't clean up the debris even decades after the attack.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,131

kle4 said:

Because he's a lawyer.
    "I don't believe it. You're meant to come down here and defend me against these characters and the only one I've got on my side is the blood-sucking lawyer!"
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Is this a NEW THREADS?

Indeed, so far

The whole of social media is full of pro-Hezbollah, Shiite militant, Israel-hating rabid dogs screaming for Iran to finally take proper revenge, SMITE the Jewish state. avenge all the terrible humiliations,. from the pagers to the assassinations and now the invasion... and.... this is it???

They are not happy. They are very unhappy. Iran looks like a damp paper tiger scared of its smartphone

I'll take that prospect seriously only after Iran has cut off all social media

The most unrealistic thing about Threads is that the survivors didn't clean up the debris even decades after the attack.

Mad Max is the same. They just use it for scenery.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,078

Weren't there bomb sites in many British cities 20-30 years after WW2? Because noone really wanted the land?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,394
    edited October 1
    Cookie said:

Weren't there bomb sites in many British cities 20-30 years after WW2? Because noone really wanted the land?
    I can remember a rare few from the early 80s. Literal bomb sites. Weird blocks in an otherwise mildly-desirable corner of Central London that no one had got around to fixing up. And still full of rubble (behind placards)
    Badenoch says that 5-10% of civil servants should be in prison.

https://x.com/jackelsom/status/1841158990824116663
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,675
    Cookie said:

Yup, watch some dramas from the time and they crop up, even in the early seventies. NCP started off buying up bomb sites and making them car parks.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,078
    What? 5-10% of civil servants is 50,000 people? That can'tbe right, surely?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,144
    Cookie said:

Yep. Some sites still existed into the early 80s in less popular (for redevelopment) parts of London. The makers of The Sweeney used to make use of some of them in the mid 70s when there were still piles of rubble around.
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

I can remember a rare few from the early 80s. Literal bomb sites. Weird blocks in an otherwise mildly-desirable corner of Central London that no one had got around to fixing up. And still full of rubble (behind placards)
    As I student in 1980s Leeds bedsit land (you know the song) there were weird little patches of empty rubble strewn ground like this but not boarded up.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,164

Are the other 90-95% going to be re-assigned to prison building projects?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,106
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Is this a NEW THREADS?

Indeed, so far

From my rural and provincial perch it seems to me that centrist sentiment is slowly and slightly moving back towards Israel.

Be that as it may, it also seems to me that an interesting test is being conducted, perhaps consciously by Israel.

The Palestinian cause has apparently huge global backing, and Iran the principal backer, is part of a huge global power network. The Arab world, the Islamic world (all factions more or less), Russia, China, and others too support the cause in the form of a one state or two state solution. Collectively this is gigantic militarily and economically. Israel has no friends immediately adjacent and NATO is looking another direction.

However they have all been remarkably backward in coming forward to do anything useful to further the cause in military or other terms.

I think Israel has decided to call that global bluff and see what happens.

(Full disclosure: I'm a woolly liberal supporting a two state solution with UN responsibility for peace keeping).

Have you not read the header?
    Cookie said:

What? 5-10% of civil servants is 50,000 people? That can'tbe right, surely?

According to the Institute for Government as of March 2024, there were 510,665 full-time equivalent (FTE) civil servants. But what that includes I don't know.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,489
    Cookie said:

More about low land value vs the issues of building on a bomb site.

A chap I knew inherited a South London bomb site that had been used for various business. With light buildings (ports cabins) on it at the end.

He rebuilt it as the 3 missing houses in terrace.

Apparently the first thing they did was dig out all the infill and disturbed layers. Partly to check for any unexplored stuff and partly because of settlement concerns. So he did deep basements for the new houses. Once you have a hole….

Whats a header?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,528

Cookie said:

Yep. Some sites still existed into the early 80s in less popular (for redevelopment) parts of London. The makers of The Sweeney used to make use of some of them in the mid 70s when there were still piles of rubble around.
    It took about the same time for London to fully recover from the Great Fire in 1666 as it did from the Blitz. About fifty years. Though the Great Fire was more extensive, but more localised, than the Blitz.

Cookie said:

Yes, I was thinking specifically of the Euston films series Sweeney and Special Branch in my post. There used to be an excellent web page that had for each sweeney episode locations then and now.

A few places have not changed.
    Cookie said:

There were quite few in London in the early 70s. They built the Barbican Centre on one of the biggest but many of the smaller ones were used as pop-up car parks.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,130

Cookie said:

It took about the same time for London to fully recover from the Great Fire in 1666 as it did from the Blitz. About fifty years. Though the Great Fire was more extensive, but more localised, than the Blitz.
    It used to be a fairly common joke: we thank Hermann Goering for our National Car Parks.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,887
    edited October 1
    I'm willing to believe that half a dozen MPs might, theoretically, belong in jail.
    Perhaps even a handful of individuals in the civil service, if only by the law of averages.

50k civil servants ?
    That's the idle dream of a would be authoritarian.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,131

KEMI
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,489

Cookie said:

It used to be a fairly common joke: we thank Hermann Goering for our National Car Parks.
    The full version was The Herman Goering Urban Redevelopment Company.
  • FossFoss Posts: 910

The entire nation would be under 7ft of Japanese knotweed.

Me too.

But then you look at the other three, and...

I've put my footer in it.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,652
    Nigelb said:

I'm willing to believe that half a dozen MPs might, theoretically, belong in jail.
    Perhaps even a handful of individuals in the civil service, if only by the law of averages.

50k civil servants ?

If she had said 50,000 should be sacked, it would be extreme but one could make an argument based on the classic big four model of chopping the bottom 10%. But for her mind to go straight to imprisonment? Bonkers.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,412

She certainly isn't holding back.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Is this a NEW THREADS?

Indeed, so far

It could; the Iranian regime is hardly popular with its own people.
    But it could equally have the opposite effect.

The assassination of Hezbollah leaders in Lebanon will have the tacit approval of quite a few. A large scale attack on Iran is something else again.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,604

As I have posted before - just not ready for prime time. Needs more time to learn to keep her batwing mad thoughts in her head and not on a journo's recording device.

But then again - the tory position is so dire, maybe rolling the dice with her might work out?

At least everyone in UK would know who she is by time of next election as there is one outrage after another.
    Trouble is, if KB learns not to say the first transatlantic right-wing thing that comes into her head, what's left of her?

"Saying what she thinks" is the core of her appeal.

And then the final two go to the party in the country, but only after they've paid another £150,000 to CCHQ, so don't be surprised when one of them drops out and the members don't get a vote, as when Andrea Leadsom withdrew against Theresa May.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,069

Thank you
    I have held my Cleverly position because I think only he and Tugendhat are capable of anything like a Cameron-esque speech tomorrow, and Tugendhat is 50% too French to win given the voters.

And then the final two go to the party in the country, but only after they've paid another £150,000 to CCHQ, so don't be surprised when one of them drops out and the members don't get a vote, as when Andrea Leadsom withdrew against Theresa May.
    I am sure all those bothered by Starmers expensive socks will be giving great scrutiny on the provenence of the £150k's.

Eh? £150k? Wow. What possible justification is there for that?
    Andy_JS said:

Kemi is the New TRUSS. I think the Tories look like dodging a massive bullet here.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,759

Dropping truth bombs again.

Andy_JS said:

Kemi is the New TRUSS. I think the Tories look like dodging a massive bullet here.
    To be fair, in that sense their mega-long campaign does seem to have helped them.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,664
    There is still time for Badenoch to win over Tory members. 50k civil servants sent to jail for being woke is only a start. Tory members need to be told sensible Conservative policy ideas. Take children away from the unemployed perhaps. Give upper rate tax payers asylum seekers as indentured slaves. Quit the Geneva Convention. You know. Moderate common sense policies

There is still time for Badenoch to win over Tory members. 50k civil servants sent to jail for being woke is only a start. Tory members need to be told sensible Conservative policy ideas. Take children away from the unemployed perhaps. Give upper rate tax payers asylum seekers as indentured slaves. Quit the Geneva Convention. You know. Moderate common sense policies

You forgot the compulsory serving of Asparagus at breakfast! Call yourself a Tory!!?

Oh.... sorry got carried away and forgot :)
    biggles said:

Justification? This is the Tory party!
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,470
    Bearing in mind that a short leadership election campaign would quite likely have seen Badenoch elected at leader, perhaps those who have complained about the length of this campaign should think again.

Obviously they would never do anything as silly as call for national service though. That’s inconceivable.

No doubt she has been "misrepresented" by the media yet again.
    biggles said:

If Parly is recalled thanks to the mad mullahs - can this be the excuse to bring forward the tory contest by a few days and thereby allow Cleverly to be facing Reeves when she delivers nightmare on 11 downing street budget???

You don't think between 5 and 10 percent of civil servants are very bad?

You forgot the compulsory serving of Asparagus at breakfast! Call yourself a Tory!!?

Oh.... sorry got carried away and forgot :)
    Or the most outrageous Piers Fletcher-Dervish threat off The New Statesman: “Make them drink tap water!!!”
    biggles said:

Is that actually true? Surely not?

"New Truss" judgment confirmed.
    biggles said:

I have held my Cleverly position because I think only he and Tugendhat are capable of anything like a Cameron-esque speech tomorrow, and Tugendhat is 50% too French to win given the voters.

Oh good point. I had forgotten they have one more pitch tomorrow.

Tory-boy will attempt without notes I suspect.
    Andy_JS said:

Sounds a bit Dom Cummings to me.

Andy_JS said:

No, she didn’t take 34,000 words to say it via an impenetrable blog post.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,278

biggles said:

Nigelb said:

50k civil servants ?

If she had said 50,000 should be sacked, it would be extreme but one could make an argument based on the classic big four model of chopping the bottom 10%. But for her mind to go straight to imprisonment? Bonkers.
    To be fair she doesn't think 50,000 of them should be in jail. She thinks todays politicians can say what they want, without it being accurate, or even true, as long as they indicate whose side they are on. She might be right.
    Yes. She's doing that "speaking your mind" thing. Boy am I weary of that. Just blurting stuff out doesn't equal authenticity.

Fits in with every post apocalyptic video game ever made. Sure, the world of Fallout is a disaster, but I'm to believe no one thought about throwing up a coat of paint at some point in the last 200 years?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251

I think it's more the "should be in prison" that people will take issue with. The bar for incarcerating people is - one would hope - a high one.
    biggles said:

It's £400k across the final four candidates. (£50k for a conference slot and then £150k if you're in the final.)

One of the great unknowns- how much is this pony and trap show costing the party to run? If you told me £3-£4 per member, I'd be surprised but not that surprised. And presumably the party manages its own finances with the same prudence that have managed the nation's in recent years.
    The party demolished by the voters because of their egregious corruption and disconnection from normality thinks it’s perfectly sensible for their leadership contenders to need to pay 200 large in non-sequential £20s
    IDF - we will attack strongly throughout the Middle East tonight.

Presume this is a legit site.

https://x.com/n12news/status/1841184016688357766?s=61

That seems a sound ratio. But it depends on the definition of very bad being used, I doubt 5-10% are belong in prison bad. I find it hard to believe the rate of criminality is that high in the civil service even if it is above average.

Wasn't it filmed in the 70s ?
    Fairly true to life, then. 😏

Nigelb said:

50k civil servants ?

Hang on: there are 72 LibDem MPs.

If you look at the Liberals of the 1970s and work out what proportion of them should have been in prison, and then apply that proportion to current numbers, you probably get to 50+. And that's just from a single party.
    rcs1000 said:

I think it's more the "should be in prison" that people will take issue with. The bar for incarcerating people is - one would hope - a high one.
    Though promising to lower the bar for incarcerating people is usually pretty popular, in a 'tough on crime' sense.

Of course, that would mean building more prisons, and NIMBYism will win out against all, including a desire to throw the book at people.
    edited October 1
    rcs1000 said:

Yes. She said one of the things they should be in prison for is “undermining ministers”. That would make Trump blush.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,528
    rcs1000 said:

Yes, it's a rather dramatic expansion of the brain-dead 'sack the lowest-performing 10% of staff' so beloved by techbroes and finbroes.
    biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

I think you mean in a misunderstood genius blog post. He helped with the Brexit campaign, so anything he says must be amazing.
    edited October 1
    Nigelb said:

Wasn't it filmed in the 70s ?
    Fairly true to life, then. 😏

Eighties. 1983 or 1984.
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes. She said one of the things they should be in prison for is “undermining ministers”. That would make Trump blush.
    In which case the only thing saving KB from a long stretch in Holloway is her no longer being a minister.

biggles said:

Is that actually true? Surely not?
    Under the Conservative party’s “pay to play” rules, those who make it to the final four on Tuesday next week will have to hand £50,000 to the party. The two candidates who make it to the final round after the party’s conference in October will have to sign a further cheque for £150,000 to Conservative campaign headquarters.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/sep/05/robert-jenrick-frontrunner-tory-leadership

Read that article on the candidates' fundraising and begin to see why it is the media, not the Conservatives, making the running on Starmer's freebiegate.
    rcs1000 said:

I agree, but civil servants are agents of the state. If they do a bad job, and potentially their bad job is motivated by a wish to do down the Government of the day or frustrate their plans, that situation is a sticky one to a far greater degree than a lousy cashier or a decorator who leave the pictures up and paints round them. I am not sure all cases of the sort are worthy of a trip to the gaol, but nor can they be tolerated.
    edited October 1
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

50k civil servants ?

Hang on: there are 72 LibDem MPs.

If you look at the Liberals of the 1970s and work out what proportion of them should have been in prison, and then apply that proportion to current numbers, you probably get to 50+. And that's just from a single party.
    Name names.
    (Now, not then.)
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

I think you mean in a misunderstood genius blog post. He helped with the Brexit campaign, so anything he says must be amazing.
    My respect for Mr Cummings dropped dramatically after I was sat only a few yards from him on a flight to the West Coast. He was shockingly rude to the BA cabin staff.
    Taz said:

I thought you had put IDS there for a second, and was quite surprised.

rcs1000 said:

Yes, it's a rather dramatic expansion of the brain-dead 'sack the lowest-performing 10% of staff' so beloved by techbroes and finbroes.
    Or in some cases, sack ten percent at random as an experiment. Which at least has the merit of cutting out the tedious work of working out who to put on the hit list.
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

How about hacking Harriet Harman?
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

My respect for Mr Cummings dropped dramatically after I was sat only a few yards from him on a flight to the West Coast. He was shockingly rude to the BA cabin staff.
    He also didn't help with the Brexit campaign, that was crap and I believe narrowed the result.
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,535
    Taz said:

Iranians fallen into an obvious trap looks like.
    MaxPB said:

I'll repeat myself from earlier today, I don't think she's a good candidate and is unlikely to ever be one. She has zero maturity of thought. Suggesting that 5-10% of the civil service should be on prison is just laughable and the kind of stuff I'd expect from an anti-establishment sixth former. I'm not exactly a huge fan of the civil service or the job they (don't) do but to suggest they should be imprisoned for it is just idiotic.

She could easily have made a very valid point that she believes that there's too many civil servants who work against elected ministers and there are loads who see it as their duty to block Tory policies and they should be rooted out and moved on. Suggesting jail time for them just makes her look ridiculous.

I like Kemi and think if she had the ability to think for a bit longer before speaking or forming an opinion on something she might be brilliant, as it stands she's just behaving like someone who wants to get a rise out of the people she opposes which isn't a grown up way to lead a party.

There you go: proper nuance, and makes a good point.

As opposed to Kemi, who said something stupid.

rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

He also didn't help with the Brexit campaign, that was crap and I believe narrowed the result.
    Well, neither campaign was very good in fairness.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,540
    Yes, I think Badenoch has blown it now. A very odd series of interventions. I suspect she is still going for that “I’m willing to open interesting conversations” shtick, but she is showing tremendous political naïveté in the fact that no-one wanted any conversations about minimum wage, maternity pay, or jailing civil servants.