Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

England finally gain revenge for the Raid on the Medway – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,056
edited July 13 in General
England finally gain revenge for the Raid on the Medway – politicalbetting.com

HAS OLLIE WATKINS WON IT FOR ENGLAND?! ?????????????????????ASTON VILLA'S OLLIE WATKINS IS A SUPERSTAR SHOOTER! ??#Euro2024 | #NEDENG pic.twitter.com/67Zpbwg6QQ

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,623
    edited July 10
    First?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,627
    Test
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,796
    Late winner...
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,535
    IanB2 said:

Test

That's been good for England today too.

Tough to say who's had a better day, Watkins or Atkinson?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,428
    BBC News — Starmer watched the match in the company of the Dutch PM.

"Keir Starmer
    @Keir_Starmer

What a game @England and what a winner.

Berlin here we come!"

https://x.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1811145933121290681
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,683
    Englands revenge on Koeman. 😂
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202
    FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

After all the shit that's been piled on Southgate.......

Not least by me

If Southgate goes and wins this I will do a 30 day pilgrimage to Neptune by way of penance

Also today he showed intelligence
    I think you should be forced to watch 30 days of Disney(woke)+.....
    In Middlesbrough.
    Steady on, I think that would get the UN investigating for cruel and inhuman punishments.
    It’d certainly be a cruel and inhuman punishment for Middlesbrough. Haven’t the smoggies suffered enough?
  • johntjohnt Posts: 166
    The critics of Southgate really ought to give it a rest. His success speaks for itself. And the idea that somehow he has better resources than the ‘golden generation’ is absurd. They just come across as anti English.
    Taz said:

Please, this is the revenge for the Raid on the Medway.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,458

IanB2 said:

Test

That's been good for England today too.

Tough to say who's had a better day, Watkins or Atkinson?
    As an individual achievement a 7fer is better than a single goal.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,409
    johnt said:

The critics of Southgate really ought to give it a rest. His success speaks for itself. And the idea that somehow he has better resources than the ‘golden generation’ is absurd. They just come across as anti English.

He does have better resources. This is likely the most talented England squad I can recall in my adult lifetime

They are up there in the FIFA rankings for a reason

Nonetheless Southgate has endured heaps of shite poured over his head, from many fans - including me on here - and credit where it’s due. He’s proved us wrong. Two finals in a row is not a fluke

I was wondering just now as I swatted a mosquito if he is the most successful international tournament manager in football, at the moment. Who else has his record of finals and semis etc?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,035

Taz said:

Did we need revenge for that? Seems like the Anglo-Dutch wars worked out alright in the end.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    Southgate out. Woke England fail again.
    Muesli said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Not least by me

If Southgate goes and wins this I will do a 30 day pilgrimage to Neptune by way of penance

In Middlesbrough.
    Steady on, I think that would get the UN investigating for cruel and inhuman punishments.
    It’d certainly be a cruel and inhuman punishment for Middlesbrough. Haven’t the smoggies suffered enough?
    Never.
    Leon said:

johnt said:

He does have better resources. This is likely the most talented England squad I can recall in my adult lifetime

Nonetheless Southgate has endured heaps of shite poured over his head, from many fans - including me on here - and credit where it’s due. He’s proved us wrong. Two finals in a row is not a fluke

I was wondering just now as I swatted a mosquito if he is the most successful international tournament manager in football, at the moment. Who else has his record of finals and semis etc?
    There's a gag to be made about semis but I am too tired classy to make it.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Ghedebrav said:

Southgate out. Woke England fail again.

Now we understand Southgate's genius.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,434
    edited July 10
    I wondered what the tributes to John Hunt, the racing commentator, at the start of the footy, were about...

John Hunt - whose wife and two daughters were allegedly shot dead with a crossbow in their home last night. Mr Hunt's wife Carol, 61, and their daughters Louise, 25, and Hannah, 28, were found fatally injured at their £800,000 detached home in Bushey, Hertfordshire, last night.
  • Leon said:

johnt said:

There's a gag to be made about semis but I am too tired classy to make it.
    Oh we're back to tripe again. Shame.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,933

Taz said:

Nah, Koeman should have been sent off, wasn't and scored the goal that knocked us out. I have always burned with the injustice of that one, as much as the maradona handball.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,401
    Leon said:

johnt said:

That french fella has done alright
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,557
    George Mann
    @sgfmann
    ·
    6m

Guardian Sport: Olé, Olé, Ollie! #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,458
    Muesli said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Not least by me

In Middlesbrough.
    Could Leo .manage a week in Loftus ?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,026

Taz said:

Nah, Koeman should have been sent off, wasn't and scored the goal that knocked us out. I have always burned with the injustice of that one, as much as the maradona handball.
    For me, it was the single worst refereeing decision of all time.

I wondered what the tributes to John Hunt, the racing commentator, at the start of the footy, were about...

John Hunt - whose wife and two daughters were allegedly shot dead with a crossbow in their home last night. Mr Hunt's wife Carol, 61, and their daughters Louise, 25, and Hannah, 28, were found fatally injured at their £800,000 detached home in Bushey, Hertfordshire, last night.

Utterly horrific, so sad.

Taz said:

Same.

3 year old me finally feels avenged for that Koeman free kick putting us out of the World Cup.

https://x.com/Samfr/status/1811147819987915046

The absolute karmic justice of Ronald Koeman getting screwed by the referee against England.

https://x.com/rcolvile/status/1811118239033823386
    English football in a nutshell:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    49m
    We’ve completely lost our way now

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    29m
    Watkins strike. Greatest finish in English football history. Bar none. Fight me.
    Leon said:

johnt said:

It's a great record and it's been hugely enjoyable to have success. It will still be seen as a missed opportunity if they lose on Sunday. Andy Murray lost multiple grand slam finals before finally getting over the line. You sense if England could win on Sunday, they might have a really good shot at the WC too.
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

That french fella has done alright
    Yes, Deschamps is the only possible rival
    edited July 10
    tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Patrick Battiston would like to have a word with you.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    edited July 10

I heard it as 'we're thinking of you John'. Sort of thing anyone would say to a colleague suffering tragedy.

Edit: sorry, I think I misread your post.
  • English football in a nutshell:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    49m

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    29m
    Watkins strike. Greatest finish in English football history. Bar none. Fight me.

Yeah but Dan Hodges was convinced SKS should resign in 2022 because of having a beer.

Leon said:

johnt said:

It's a great record and it's been hugely enjoyable to have success. It will still be seen as a missed opportunity if they lose on Sunday. Andy Murray lost multiple grand slam finals before finally getting over the line. You sense if England could win on Sunday, they might have a really good shot at the WC too.
    Yes. It’s time. England have been the great chokers of world football for too long. So many near misses

This is the moment
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,603
    YES! 👍
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

johnt said:

Yes. It’s time. England have been the great chokers of world football for too long. So many near misses

This is the moment
    Can you predict a loss? Whatever you say, the opposite happens.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,535
    edited July 10

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    49m

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    29m

Yeah but Dan Hodges was convinced SKS should resign in 2022 because of having a beer.
    That's on par for Hodges being almost as much of an attention whore as our own dear Leon.

Almost.

I heard it as 'we're thinking of you John'. Sort of thing anyone would say to a colleague suffering tragedy.
    At the time, I presumed it was something along the lines of he had been taken ill and was in hospital...as they were talking about racing festival and he wouldn't be commentating. But it was far far worse.
    Only under a Labour government...

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Patrick Battison would like to have a word with you.
    Frank Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany was a shocker.

Sexist!
    Leon said:

johnt said:

What self serving rubbish that is.

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

He should have been arrested never mind sent off!

At the time, I presumed it was something along the lines of he had been taken ill and was in hospital...as they were talking about racing festival and he wouldn't be commentating. But it was far far worse.
    Yes, I see where you're coming from now. If you hadn't already heard the news it would appear odd.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,254
    Leon's right. Southgate has more talent available to him than any England manager since Ramsey, but it's no easy matter to get them to demonstrate their abilty in major tournaments. He's done that, so he's beyond criticism.

There's still more to come from England though. They played well tonite, but they can play better. They will need to against Spain.

Should be fun.
    edited July 10

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    49m

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    29m

That's on par for Hodges being almost as much of an attention whore as our own dear Leon.

Almost.
    I’ve made about 5 comments all day. And indeed now I’m off to bed

Glorious Provençal weather, supper under the stars, Gigondas wine under the moon, and an England win to top off a a day off good work and interesting exploration. = happiness

Bon nuit

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

That's true, but that was simply a bad decision. The Koeman thing was about corruption, which was rife in FIFA and EUFA then.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,139

A NEW DAY HAS DAWNED HAS IT NOT?

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    49m

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    29m

Just you wait for the Carling Crisis of 2026, it'll bring him down eventually.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

That's true, but that was simply a bad decision. The Koeman thing was about corruption, which was rife in FIFA and EUFA then.
    Then?! Ahahaha.
    edited July 10

Leon's right. Southgate has more talent available to him than any England manager since Ramsey, but it's no easy matter to get them to demonstrate their abilty in major tournaments. He's done that, so he's beyond criticism.

There's still more to come from England though. They played well tonite, but they can play better. They will need to against Spain.

Should be fun.

Actually England talent pool is heavily skewed. Amazing midfielders who are the best in Europe (and we still left home loads of others) and wing backs. Lacking experienced strikers, the pivot player and centre backs.

So far the pivot player and centre backs have stepped up. As have the inexperienced strikers off the bench.

It is why Southgate has had this very conservative approach throughout this tenure, as Rice can't play pivot, Stones rarely makes it through consecutive 90 minutes, Maguire is / was way too slow and our front line striker pool was Harry Kane, Harry Kane and errh Harry Kane.

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

Patrick Battison would like to have a word with you.
    Frank Lampard's disallowed goal against Germany was a shocker.
    Yeah, but it was a mistake; it wasn't bent. And it had one good consequence. Sepp Blatter gave up his obstinate opposition to goal-line technology, and it was introduced swiftly thereafter.
    England are heading a for an absolute gubbing vs Spain and tbh there’s no shame in that.

Will be the first decent team we’ve played. Spain have already beaten the second and third best teams in the tournament.

Should be fun.

Actually England talent pool is heavily skewed. Amazing midfielders and wing backs. Lacking experienced strikers, the pivot player and centre backs.

So far the pivot player and centre backs have stepped up. As have the inexperienced strikers off the bench.
    This is true but it's not uncommon in top teams. The best England teams I have known have been mainly strong in defence and moderate in attack. This is the first I have known where it is the other way around.

But even the all-time greats were lop-sided. The Brazil of Pele and Tostao had a terrible defence, but it didn't matter.
    edited July 10
    Ghedebrav said:

England are heading a for an absolute gubbing vs Spain and tbh there’s no shame in that.

Will be the first decent team we’ve played. Spain have already beaten the second and third best teams in the tournament.

I think England might have well have preferred France. Walker seems to always play well against the like of Mbappe and Vinícius Júnior, and everything for France seems to have to go through him.

Should be fun.

Actually England talent pool is heavily skewed. Amazing midfielders who are the best in Europe (and we still left home loads of others) and wing backs. Lacking experienced strikers, the pivot player and centre backs.

It is why Southgate has had this very conservative approach throughout this tenure, as Rice can't play pivot, Stones rarely makes it through consecutive 90 minutes, Maguire is / was way too slow and our front line striker pool was Harry Kane, Harry Kane and errh Harry Kane.
    Plus I still don’t believe Steve Guppy is the answer to the left side of midfield problem.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

I've never seen a suggestion that the ref in 1993 was bent. Wouldn't surprise me, though the Dutch ought to have had a penalty - possibly the free-kick that Koeman scored - so that doesn't quite fit with the ref being on the take.
    Sorry to ask this again, but when people say Joe Biden is going to stand down, do they mostly mean he won't be the candidate in November but will continue as president, or that he'll stand down as president immediately?

Should be fun.

Actually England talent pool is heavily skewed. Amazing midfielders and wing backs. Lacking experienced strikers, the pivot player and centre backs.

This is true but it's not uncommon in top teams. The best England teams I have known have been mainly strong in defence and moderate in attack. This is the first I have known where it is the other way around.

But even the all-time greats were lop-sided. The Brazil of Pele and Tostao had a terrible defence, but it didn't matter.
    France in 98 didn’t really have a striker.

Should be fun.

No he isn’t. The defence is nothing in compared to many England have had in the past. His striking options are limited. He has some great midfield players but that is no different to what we have had before. Southgate’s critics are mostly England hating righties who are more worried about the fact he picks players based on talent and performance rather than their heritage and views. It is the way of the woke right these days!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,276

Very sad. Many condolences.
    But what exactly does the value of their house add to the story?
    dixiedean said:

Very sad. Many condolences.
    But what exactly does the value of their house add to the story?
    I think the Daily Mail AI / auto correct inserts somebodies house price automatically into every story.
    edited July 10
    Ghedebrav said:

Should be fun.

Dugarry, Henry and Trezeguet not bad bench warmers....That squad was so strong, Vieira didn't even start the final.

Ghedebrav said:

Should be fun.

Dugarry, Henry and Trezeguet not bad bench warmers....
    Ask Newcastle fans about Stéphane Guivarc'h...
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Taz said:

I've never seen a suggestion that the ref in 1993 was bent. Wouldn't surprise me, though the Dutch ought to have had a penalty - possibly the free-kick that Koeman scored - so that doesn't quite fit with the ref being on the take.
    Pre-Collina, corruption was rife. It still exists, but tends to be isolated and less blatant than it was back in'93.
    edited July 10
    tlg86 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Should be fun.

I presume he didn't fancy that bitterly cold North Sea wind...the starting XI for France and Brazil absolutely incredible, as were the bench warmers.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,157
    edited July 10
    Good result for England and we will see if they can go one better than 2020 when they lost the Euros final to Italy and win this one
    HYUFD said:

Good result for England and their first major tournament final since 1966

Err since 2021.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,560
    Entirely off-topic, but as football fans seem to be having a cheery day :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKo5TIFaZFk

An old Adventures In Stereo track which always makes me feel a little brighter about a day, good or ill.
  • It's not HOLLAND, it's the Netherlands.

The Sun is written by inbreds
    HYUFD said:

Really? Were they not in the last Euro final?

Ghedebrav said:

Should be fun.

Dugarry, Henry and Trezeguet not bad bench warmers....That squad was so strong, Vieira didn't even start the final.
    Henry was a winger back then, he only became a bona fide striker when he joined Arsenal in 1999.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,126
    Andy_JS said:

Sorry to ask this again, but when people say Joe Biden is going to stand down, do they mostly mean he won't be the candidate in November but will continue as president, or that he'll stand down as president immediately?

Since we are discussing hypotheticals, it could be either. People are making up things in their head and pretending.

Ghedebrav said:

Should be fun.

Henry was a winger back then, he only became a bona fide striker when he joined Arsenal in 1999.
    Fair point.
    Ghedebrav said:

I don't think this is true. The Dutch are 7th in the rankings. All the sides we have played have been extremely well organised. This is not the great Spanish side of a few years ago. I think it's 50:50 going into Sunday.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,157
    edited July 10

HYUFD said:

Err since 2021.
    2020 for the men
    Kudus to the Killers at the 02. Amazing showmanship

https://x.com/nikkiwicks/status/1811145110865817954?s=46&t=JkfxbHe62CiS_-1M2e4fCA
    Ghedebrav said:

Spain will definitely start favorites, but if England step up again from this performance it could get interesting.

I'm sure Spain would have been more confident if they had been meeting the Netherlands.
    edited July 10
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Since we are discussing hypotheticals, it could be either. People are making up things in their head and pretending.
    Thanks viewcode. I thought it was probably either/or.
    O/T If Harris gets the nomination and beats Trump, all 82 of us are getting null points for the two POTUS questions in the PB comp, just saying.
    tlg86 said:

Ghedebrav said:

Should be fun.

And it was he who played up top.
    HYUFD said:

Good result for England and their first major tournament final since 1966 we will see if they can go one better than 2020 when they lost the Euros final to Italy and win this one

I don't think anyone noticed the edit.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,529
    Leon said:
    I see no antelopes..
    Ghedebrav said:

Very disrespectful to Holland. Or any of the other teams England have played. Holland are higher in the FIFA rankings than Spain. So as a statement of recent performances, that is simply not true. The best two teams in the tournament are Spain and England by the way. As is evidenced by them being the two teams in the final. That’s the way tournament football works. The teams that last long enough to reach the final are the ones which do the best within the rules of the tournament. You may be correct and Spain may win. But as a statement of reality, you are incorrect about everything else.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,139
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Err since 2021.
    2020 for the men
    edited July 10
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Thanks viewcode. I thought it was probably either/or.
    Biden will most likely serve the full term imo - he'll be desperate to do that. He can spin the line: "whilst I'm fine at present, my doctors have warned me that I may not get through the next four years without having to step down."

Ghedebrav said:

I don't think this is true. The Dutch are 7th in the rankings. All the sides we have played have been extremely well organised. This is not the great Spanish side of a few years ago. I think it's 50:50 going into Sunday.
    I do not share your optimism. We’ve gone into every match up to this point as favourites, including vs the Dutch (and in fairness this was probably the best performance too).

But I like this Spanish side a lot. Fluid, dynamic but considerably more direct than the tici-taca of old. England are weak at the back and Spain will really test the defence.

As I say, there would be no shame in losing this final. And Spain are a stronger team than Italy were.
    The Tories are out, grown-up government has returned, and England are through to the Euro final.

Happy days!
    Clooney on Biden getting serious traction in UK newspapers
    johnt said:

Ghedebrav said:

Very disrespectful to Holland. Or any of the other teams England have played. Holland are higher in the FIFA rankings than Spain. So as a statement of recent performances, that is simply not true. The best two teams in the tournament are Spain and England by the way. As is evidenced by them being the two teams in the final. That’s the way tournament football works. The teams that last long enough to reach the final are the ones which do the best within the rules of the tournament. You may be correct and Spain may win. But as a statement of reality, you are incorrect about everything else.
    How is that disrespectful?! And why does my respect otherwise matter a damn? And yes I know how tournament football works but this isn’t FPTP. It’s not uncommon for very strong sides to be knocked by the eventual winner. And it’s also perfectly fine to have the opinion that Germany look like a better team than the Netherlands (or England). Its sport, not an equation.

Also FIFA rankings are what they are. A ranking system based on results weighted to significance over a period of time.

German Embassy London
    @GermanEmbassy
    ·
    1h
    Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the G̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶s̶ English always win.

All the best for the final on Sunday, England! #EURO2024

Despite the English always thinking our biggest rivalry is Germany, for the German's its the Dutch.

Much talk of England's stars, but I'd like to mention Kobbie Mainoo. Nobody had heard of him nine months ago. He didn't make his league debut until November 2023. Quite remarkable progress for a 19-year-old. He's played consistently well in this tournament.

Between Mainoo and Foden, Stockport really showed up tonight.
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202
    johnt said:

Ghedebrav said:

As disrespectful as referring to the country by the wrong name? Twice in the first three sentences of your comment?
    edited July 10

German Embassy London
    @GermanEmbassy
    ·
    1h
    Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the G̶e̶r̶m̶a̶n̶s̶ English always win.

Despite the English always thinking our biggest rivalry is Germany, for the German's its the Dutch.
    It's a definite mood swing now - even your apostrophe has moved to the left!
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,533

Much talk of England's stars, but I'd like to mention Kobbie Mainoo. Nobody had heard of him nine months ago. He didn't start for Man Utd until November 2023. Quite remarkable progress for a 19-year-old. He's played consistently well in this tournament.

Yes it’s extraordinary that he only played his first United first team game at the end of last year. He came through their academy I believe. Good ball winner and a great addition to the side.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,281
    Andy_JS said:

You make a good point, actually general one about the tendency on this board (and elsewhere!) toward imprecision and vaguery, sometimes/often on purpose.

Which people are you talking about? IF you mean PBers, what does it matter, as individually/collectively we do NOT know what's what re: the Democratic nomination.

Just guessin' the best - AND worst - we can!

Unless you imagine that Jill Biden or Kamala Harris or _____ [fill in the blank] are posting on here?

Much talk of England's stars, but I'd like to mention Kobbie Mainoo. Nobody had heard of him nine months ago. He didn't start for Man Utd until November 2023. Quite remarkable progress for a 19-year-old. He's played consistently well in this tournament.

May well be the Scholes of this generation.

German Embassy London
    @GermanEmbassy
    ·
    1h

It's a definite mood swing now - even your apostrophe has moved to the left!
    The Dutch have every reason to hate the Germans. Start with the hunger winter and keep digging.
This discussion has been closed.