Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Profiles in leadership – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,810
edited June 14 in General
imageProfiles in leadership – politicalbetting.com

Longstanding readers of Political Betting know how much faith Mike Smithson and I put in the Ipsos MORI leader satisfaction ratings. Thanks to Rob Ford for digging into the numbers one month before the election which shows Rishi Sunak and the current Tories are record breakers for all the wrong reasons.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 626
    edited June 14

Don't understand people who say this GE campaign is boring.

The overall winner is a foregone conclusion, which makes it seem boring. But there are lots of local competions, personalities, side-plots etc which makes this anything but boring
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,557
    Two thirds think the Government doesn't deserve to be re-elected.

Does that mean a third do? So my Labour 38% Conservatives 33% result still has a chance?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,097

What do you find interesting about it ?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,269
    edited June 14
    Fpt @TimS
    Yes, Reform continue to poll terribly in real votes. Whereas, at least in London, the ELE seems far off. Eltham and Chiselhurst is the Tories 41st most vulnerable on notionals and a new seat so ill be interested how it turns out. Clive Efford should take it for Labour but that by election suggests it could be closer than imagined.
    Re Reform theres of course the risk of snowball from media hysteria over one poll, The Tories would be well advised to encourage early postal voting to bank some coin as it were
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,489

Does that mean a third do? So my Labour 38% Conservatives 33% result still has a chance?

There will be some people who don't know.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,373

The campaign by the two main parties is utterly tedious.
    The events leading up to the election are fascinating.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,000
    edited June 14
    The PB shibboleth of leader ratings as an elevated predictor is not without considerable merit, but it's important to not elevate it to an article of faith. I think it does well as a proxy in a two party system: we'll say Starmer is ok because we want the Tories gone.
    If the two party system breaks down, and that's a HUGE if, I would not rely as heavily on this metric. I can imagine its utility breaking down quite quickly if Reform and the Lib Dems were to become viable electoral forces.
  • Options
    edited June 14

It's 20% deserves to be re-elected, 10% neither agree or disagree, 3% don't know.

No solace for you there.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,660

Lloyd Christmas vibes.

• Options

It's 20% deserves to be re-elected, 10% neither agree or disagree, 3% don't know.

No solace for you there.
    There's still 13% to work....
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,281
    Nigelb said:

Also, the declarations and fallout have the potential to be off-the-scale interesting. But while we all know that there are going to be a lot of Conservative losses and a lot of Labour gains, I doubt that many (any?) of us have really clocked what that will look like.
  • Options
    Another Russian missile attack on a Ukrainian air force base last night. A couple of Ukrainian jets were caught on the ground at an airbase a few days ago.

I'm really confused as to why Russia wasn't making these sort of attacks 28 months ago instead of lobbing their missiles at apartment blocks and supermarkets.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,373

Ed Davey is having a great campaign. Dressing serious issues up in fun and relateable presentation.

He’s really taken on the media image of him being dull and grey and deserves to benefit from that.

The LD manifesto was equally anodyne, but as no one reads manifestos, he's having a good campaign indeed.
  • Options
    The Ukrainians still working on shaping the battlefield. Another 48 artillery systems and 2 MLRS taken out yesterday.

That is 628 artillery systems destroyed in the month of June alone.
  • Options

No solace for you there.
    There's still 13% to work....
    You are a great role model for wannabe optimists.
  • Options
    edited June 14
    Foxy said:

Yeah, but this website is for people who find spreadsheets exciting.

Indeed considering the prelidictions of PBers it's a surprise how unpopular Sunak is even amongst spreadsheet geeks!
    I believe The Wildhearts have us covered here:

Well there is nothing like a person
    Who reminds you of yourself
    If you wish you were anybody else
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,918

Fpt @TimS
    Yes, Reform continue to poll terribly in real votes. Whereas, at least in London, the ELE seems far off. Eltham and Chiselhurst is the Tories 41st most vulnerable on notionals and a new seat so ill be interested how it turns out. Clive Efford should take it for Labour but that by election suggests it could be closer than imagined.
    Re Reform theres of course the risk of snowball from media hysteria over one poll, The Tories would be well advised to encourage early postal voting to bank some coin as it were

I would expect that in the wasteland of Tory political corpses 3 weeks today, that London and perhaps Scotland will have some unexpected survivors. Particularly areas with large Hindu populations, perhaps in West London.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,503
    Taz said:

One wonders, all boring farts lying through their teeth to get their snouts in the trough. Not a cigarette paper between any of them apart from Farage.
    Worse than watching paint dry.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,503

Another Russian missile attack on a Ukrainian air force base last night. A couple of Ukrainian jets were caught on the ground at an airbase a few days ago.

I'm really confused as to why Russia wasn't making these sort of attacks 28 months ago instead of lobbing their missiles at apartment blocks and supermarkets.

Incompetence
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,375

Taz said:

The possibility of extinction of UK's oldest most successful political party, for starters. The psychology of the party leaders. The utter unpredictability of the effect of the Reform surge. If you don't like this you don't like politics.
    If Reform eclipse the Conservatives (and that Eltham result is an important caveat), we’re seeing in this country what we’ve seen in the US, Italy, France and Holland.

I don’t really buy the argument that if the mainstream right simply ignore the views of millions of disgruntled supporters, then the populist right will vanish.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,869
    fpt

OM bf market suspended? Does it take that long to work out what the YouGov poll means?
  • Options
    Taz said:

It’s interesting in the way that the premier league would be interesting, even with Manchester City winning the title in January, if all 19 other teams could be relegated or get champions league football still in the final three weeks.

Just because we know who is going to win it doesn’t make the potential outcomes elsewhere boring - Man Utd relegated or second? Everton surpassing their nearest rivals and condemning them to the Championship.

All to play for and people’s careers, reputations, millions of disappointed or joyful supporters. It’s all here.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fpt @TimS

I would expect that in the wasteland of Tory political corpses 3 weeks today, that London and perhaps Scotland will have some unexpected survivors. Particularly areas with large Hindu populations, perhaps in West London.
    I have them on 17 in London/Scotland combined plus anything else they can salvage
  • Options

Ukraine also made another major attack on a Russian air base - this one in Rostov.

It does feel like the last month or two has seen a major step-up in the war for control of the air.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 626
    edited June 14
    in the last thread someone asked the question about value bets in individual seats - so let me give you one:

Plaid to win in new Bangor Aberconwy seat.

The former Aberconwy seat was held by Conservatives with Labour as the main challenger, and most pundits are predicting an easy Labour win as the Conservatives continue their implosion.

But Aberconwy has previously been held by Plaid in the Senedd - the additional Bangor area is a Plaid/Labour battleground - while the additional inland areas formerly in Clwyd West are all held by Plaid at council level.

Plaid's campaign so far has not been very spectacular, but has been steady and generally positive. Meanwhile Welsh Labour are suffering the Vaughan Gething fallout.

I am not predicting a Plaid win here - but I do expect them to challenge well - much more strongly than some predictions. I have not seen any odds quoted for this seat...anyone??

• Options
    DopermeanDopermean Posts: 41
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

One wonders, all boring farts lying through their teeth to get their snouts in the trough. Not a cigarette paper between any of them apart from Farage.
    Worse than watching paint dry.
    6 weeks is far too long for a campaign, even political geeks are becoming disengaged, there's a risk of a very low turnout.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,387
    TOPPING said:

fpt

OM bf market suspended? Does it take that long to work out what the YouGov poll means?

Betfair's Overall Majority market is open. Try clearing your cache and all the usual nonsense if it still looks shut.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.167249195
  • Options
    MarkJMarkJ Posts: 7
    Quick Question, if the election ends up with something like Lib Deb 65 seats, Conservatives 50 and Reform 25, and at some point down the line the tories and Reform merged, would they then be able to take over as the official opposition? Seems quite a carrot to dangle for members of both groups if so?
  • Options
    Penddu2 said:

in the last thread someone asked the question about value bets in individual seats - so let me give you one:

The former Aberconwy seat was held by Conservatives with Labour as the main challenger, and most pundits are predicting an easy Labour win as the Conservatives continue their implosion.

But Aberconwy has previously been held by Plaid in the Senedd - the additional Bangor area is a Plaid/Labour battleground - while the additional inland areas formerly in Clwyd West are all held by Plaid at council level.

Plaid's campaign so far has not been very spectacular, but has been steady and generally positive. Meanwhile Welsh Labour are suffering the Vaughan Gething fallout.

I am not predicting a Plaid win here - but I do expect them to challenge well - much more strongly than some predictions. I have not seen any odds quoted for this seat...anyone??

Bet365 offer 10/1 Plaid
  • Options
    edited June 14
    Penddu2 said:

Oddschecker still has it listed as Aberconwy, rather than Bangor Aberconwy. PC are available at 10/1 with bet365 and William Hill.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,062
    Penddu2 said:

Gething really does need to be on his way very soon after the GE. He is the only story here in Wales.
  • Options
    edited June 14
    MarkJ said:

Quick Question, if the election ends up with something like Lib Deb 65 seats, Conservatives 50 and Reform 25, and at some point down the line the tories and Reform merged, would they then be able to take over as the official opposition? Seems quite a carrot to dangle for members of both groups if so?

I believe so, though I believe the predicated result won't come to pass and, even if it did, you wouldn't get CON and REF to work together like that. Both parties would see significant revolts against the idea.
  • Options
    edited June 14
    MarkJ said:

They could form a coalition opposition anyway, although Labour could hive off 80 to form their own opposition, thats why massive majorities are a very bad thing
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105

The Ukrainians still working on shaping the battlefield. Another 48 artillery systems and 2 MLRS taken out yesterday.

Perhaps everyone was a year early on the significant Ukrainian breakthrough counteroffensive.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,375
    ToryJim said:

Perhaps everyone was a year early on the significant Ukrainian breakthrough counteroffensive.
    Russia’s advance on Kharkiv looks as if it will finish about a mile from the border.
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 287
    Foxy said:

Indeed considering the prelidictions of PBers it's a surprise how unpopular Sunak is even amongst spreadsheet geeks!
    He's such a failer upwards, I wouldn't take his geekery on trust without seeing the colour of his ACCRINT.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,111

Penddu2 said:

Oddschecker still has it listed as Aberconwy, rather than Bangor Aberconwy. PC are available at 10/1 with bet365 and William Hill.
    Talking of the seat markets, I find it interesting that Reform odds in seats like Boston and Ashfield haven't budged in the last week or so, despite Reform's climb in the polls. I guess punters don't believe that Reform's rise in the polls will be sustained.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,265
    edited June 14
    ToryJim said:

It is quite difficult to run a significant counter-offensive without weapons, which was broadly the situation unfolding last summer.

ETA: Even in the early stages, contingency had to be made for the fact that they were unlikely to be getting more in the short to medium term.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,181

With a different (competent) Rishi there'd be a real chance of that.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,181
    Sean_F said:

Taz said:

The possibility of extinction of UK's oldest most successful political party, for starters. The psychology of the party leaders. The utter unpredictability of the effect of the Reform surge. If you don't like this you don't like politics.
    If Reform eclipse the Conservatives (and that Eltham result is an important caveat), we’re seeing in this country what we’ve seen in the US, Italy, France and Holland.

I don’t really buy the argument that if the mainstream right simply ignore the views of millions of disgruntled supporters, then the populist right will vanish.
    The latter is simply wishful thinking from those who wish such sentiments would simply go away.
  • Options
    Tice is claiming its neck and neck in Boston and Skeggy with the Cons
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,705
    edited June 14

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

The latter is simply wishful thinking from those who wish such sentiments would simply go away.
    I think the only way for the Tories to survive might actually to be allow the hard right to move to Reform, and start to confront Farage on issues like his responsibility for hard Brexit and high immigration, and Putin.

That way they can survive as an independent force, but also occasionally on more friendly terms with the hard right in the future, as on the Continent. The only other option might be to be eaten by Reform.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,594
    Sean_F said:

ToryJim said:

Russia’s advance on Kharkiv looks as if it will finish about a mile from the border.
    The Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo comes to mind.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

ToryJim said:

It is quite difficult to run a significant counter-offensive without weapons, which was broadly the situation unfolding last summer.

ETA: Even in the early stages, contingency had to be made for the fact that they were unlikely to be getting more in the short to medium term.
    I think they need air superiority first. They've made great progress in winning the war in the sea, and attacks on Russian airbases and air defences have intensified recently.

If Ukraine were to end 2024 with the Russian air force as degraded as the Russian Black Sea Fleet, while their own air force was bolstered with F-16s, then that would create much better conditions for a successful counter offensive.

And all the while new Ukrainian drones are being developed and produced in greater numbers.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

And no lessons have been learned from the Brexit debacle.

On the other hand, the only real way to deal with the populist right is for the centre right to regain the centre from the centre left, and then to fix these deeper issues from there. Why? If you cede the argument onto the populist right's ground, it just strengthens them. The populist right deals in undeliverable demands and impossible solutions, so you can't come and take over their argument if you actually wish to govern (c.f. the populist Left).

Right or left, the challenge is finding enough people with the intellectual horsepower to address the fundamentals, the emotional intelligence to listen and talk the language of the people they wish to represent, and the ability to govern in practice. Who are also prepared to take the apparently ludicrous step of entering the political arena in the modern media climate.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,594
    malcolmg said:

Incompetence
    The Russians have few modern missiles - very low production rates.

Because the Ukrainian air defences are effective when avaialable, but limited in scope (not enough systems), the Russians tried fairly random attacks on populations, since the various SAM systems can't be everywhere.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

I think the only for the Tories to survive might actually to be allow the hard right to move to reform, and start to confront Farage on issues like his responsibility for hard Brexit and high immigration, and Putin.

That way they can survive as an independent force, but also occasionally with the hard right in the future, as on the Continent. The other option is essentially to be eaten by Reform.
    I don't think they are the only options. The Tories could yet eat reform (Proverbs 26:11). It has to be understood that Reform as yet have zero depth in talent. Reform IS Nigel Farage. If he were to be unavailable for any reason, there's no way it holds together.

The Conservative Party is (and I can't believe I'm typing this given the current shaking to bits they're enduring) is still a much more viable and stable electoral machine. Reform is a cult of personality, and they don't usually endure.
  • Options
    SteveSSteveS Posts: 99

Foxy said:

He's such a failer upwards, I wouldn't take his geekery on trust without seeing the colour of his ACCRINT.
    ACCRINT Tweedledee? Who are they?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,105

The polling is interesting, the election isn’t. I think the last actual interesting election of my lifetime was 1992. The problem with modern campaigns is that the political argument is largely drowned out by an obsession with ephemera.

How often is the standard journalist question “how will this affect the polls?” The whole debate is framed by whether it benefits the narrow strategy of one or other political party. The focus is wrong. The whole political-media complex is engaged in talking amongst themselves the voters don’t get a look in.

The greatest exemplar of this problem is GB News, not for the reasons people think. The problem is it is a cast of people some of whom are confused as to whether they want to be poachers or gamekeepers. It is an outrage that sitting MPs were setting themselves up as quasi journalistic figures. However most of the media are problematic because they want to make the news rather than relay it, hence the gotcha approach and self conscious editorialising.

The political parties have also given up making an argument for election and play into the prevailing architecture of the media ecosystem. Thoroughly depressing, it’s no longer possible to work out whether the campaign drives the polls or the polls drive the campaign but it is probably the latter.

I know this is probably the worst place to take aim at polling but whilst it may be helpful for placing wagers I think it’s pretty corrosive to electoral politics.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,018
    I think there is some interesting undercurrents in constituency forecasts. Most of the models apply national trends nationally. Labour are up which means they must be up everywhere. Right?

Labour are supposedly the challenger in Tewksbury, yet the LDs have the base, the ground campaign and the momentum https://pollingreport.uk/seats/E14001542

Or my own seat of ANME where I am coming 2nd last behind "other" who aren't on the ballot paper. Labour - with no councillors, no base, no campaigning of any kind are running the SNP close https://pollingreport.uk/seats/S14000062

Its a change election and a biggie, so anything can happen. I would query whether "anything" is as some of the models are predicting.

What does that mean for the national result? Well, the interest at the moment seems to be that Labour are sliding, with votes going off to various parties. That's almost certainly true as the 2nd phase of ELE kicks into gear. There are bound to be a few seats where that splits the ToryELE vote and the Tory incumbent clings on. But lots of us in lots of different seats look at the models and say "that isn't what is happening here"
  • Options

mwadams said:

ToryJim said:

I think they need air superiority first. They've made great progress in winning the war in the sea, and attacks on Russian airbases and air defences have intensified recently.

If Ukraine were to end 2024 with the Russian air force as degraded as the Russian Black Sea Fleet, while their own air force was bolstered with F-16s, then that would create much better conditions for a successful counter offensive.

And all the while new Ukrainian drones are being developed and produced in greater numbers.
    And they didn't have the weapons last year to degrade the Russian capability sufficiently.

On the other hand, if they hadn't executed last summer's counter-offensive, this summer would have started from a less advantageous position; I think it was just that Western commentators were hoping for (maybe even "expecting") another miraculous Russian collapse.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,793

What do you think?
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 287
    SteveS said:

Foxy said:

ACCRINT Tweedledee? Who are they?
    It's a spreadsheet formula - accrued interest I think.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,105
    Taz said:

The party that has dominated UK government for almost all that state's history now faces extinction. I find that interesting.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

What do you think?
    I think it's more likely he's in second but a fair way off and trying to manifest a surge, but they are hidden around the Wash from me so i can't see clearly
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,457
    Nigelb said:

Au contraire

The Conservative campaign has been by far and away the funniest of my lifetime.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

I think the only for the Tories to survive might actually to be allow the hard right to move to reform, and start to confront Farage on issues like his responsibility for hard Brexit and high immigration, and Putin.

That way they can survive as an independent force, but also occasionally with the hard right in the future, as on the Continent. The other option is essentially to be eaten by Reform.
    I don't think they are the only options. The Tories could yet eat reform (Proverbs 26:11). It has to be understood that Reform as yet have zero depth in talent. Reform IS Nigel Farage. If he were to be unavailable for any reason, there's no way it holds together.

The Conservative Party is (and I can't believe I'm typing this given the current shaking to bits they're enduring) is still a much more viable and stable electoral machine. Reform is a cult of personality, and they don't usually endure.
    The other advantage Conservatives have over reform is the huge number they have in the HoL. If the Tories were down to a rump then there is the possibility of people such as Cameron and other Tory Lords to start being very vocal and active to spread a centrist Tory message to bolster a small Commons representation.

It would need those Lords to step up and not be lazy but they can get airtime and coverage in a way nobody in reform other than Farage will get.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,027
    edited June 14
    Farooq said:

MarkJ said:

I believe so, though I believe the predicated result won't come to pass and, even if it did, you wouldn't get CON and REF to work together like that. Both parties would see significant revolts against the idea.
    Yes, the parties are quintessentially different. Reform is ideologically driven, against e.g. immigration and net zero as a matter of principle, regardless of the consequences. The Conservatives are, traditionally, pragmatists. They have their aims, e.g. lower taxation and lower immigration, but have generally been driven primarily by practical considerations.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,869

TOPPING said:

fpt

Betfair's Overall Majority market is open. Try clearing your cache and all the usual nonsense if it still looks shut.
    https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.167249195
    Yes thanks I meant the fixed odds part of bf not the exchanges.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,911
    I think what I am seeing with a lot of comments on here is 'centrist denial' and this could actually have some betting implications. People are reading the current situation in an essentially 20th century way ie what is happening on the right is 'extremists' 'splitting' and who will become increasingly irrellevant over time. This overlooks what has been happening over the last decade on a global scale with the rise of insurgent political movements that disrupt political norms- Brexit, Trump, Italy, France, Germany, the list goes on.

What seems apparent to me is that we are seeing the final death through incoherance and exhaustion of the 'broad church' conservative party and the creation of a more coherent right wing political movement which can, like everything else that has happened globally, begin as a ridiculed insurgency but end up close to, or achieving power, building on dissatisfaction with the inevitable failings of the 'centrist, managerial status quo'. It is a small jump from 30% to 40% but the latter can win a general election under the FPTP system.

It may not be 'reform' that carries this insurgency forward. It could be a revised version of the Conservative Party having dumped the Hunts, Sunaks and Mordaunts. Or a 'start up' party of the type Cummings suggests. But to just assume all this is irrelevant extremism just seems to be an act of enormous denial given what is happening on a global scale.

• Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,793

With a different (competent) Rishi there'd be a real chance of that.
    Only, before Farage joined the fray.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,705
    edited June 14
    Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

I agree that Reform are Farage, but if the Tories keep refusing to challenge him, they will become his party, whether unofficially or officially.

He is the key force behind a large part of what has happened since 2016, and now he's gaining from that rather than losing from it, because the Tories keep deferring to him. Either accept to become his party, or take him on. Now they're in a disastrous no-man's land in between, which could push them towards being irrelevant.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,734
    edited June 14
    Interesting analysis from Public First (they're a policy tracker / consultancy) which possibly mitigates against our - my - assumptions about a Tory swingback and Reform slide.

https://pfdatablog.com/blog/how-does-the-public-feel-about-a-tory-wipe-out

Farage will be licking his lips at this kind of analysis.

For example: "On average, Labour voters are expecting their party to fall just shy of a majority with 320 seats, while Conservatives are now on average expecting fewer seats than Labour but roughly a hung parliament (240 seats Conservative, 262 Labour)."

and: " 46% of the public agreed with the slightly excessive statement that the Conservatives “deserve to lose every seat they have”, including around a quarter of their own 2019 voters (24%), and a whole 64% of those who intend to vote Labour."
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,381
    Extraordinary stat from Norn

"One in every 16 pupils at school here is now a ‘newcomer’ according to the Department of Education.

"The term is used to refer to a pupil who is often originally from outside the UK and does not initially speak the same language as their class teacher."

1 in 16 kids in Northern Irish school DOES NOT SPEAK NATIVE ENGLISH

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c4nn54vqn6eo
  • Options
    Reform support of course may very well turn out to be like Bart Simpsons support for Class President. Certainly that's been the consistent theme in their electoral performance thus far. Unfortunately for the Tories, the narrative may see support jumping across to the paper tiger, screwing them both
  • Options

I am beginning to wonder if we will see conservative discipline implode totally and the tory campaign just collapse altogether.... We are certainly looking at a total rewriting of the electoral landscape..... The majority of boomers shuffle off to reform to live out the rest of their lives there as their control over the centre wanes. The younger conservative centrists (wets) go to lib dems and a newly centrist labour.

This is the election where the millienials finally came into their own as a voting power house (I am Gen X btw... nobody gives a rats arse about us). That boomer bastion of conservative and reform vote will never recover...not ever. In 2029 and 2034 support for the culture war, pro brexit agenda will have all but been eradicated by natural demographics and the passing of time. So although it is (intellectually) exciting to see reform pass the conservatives in the polls, I see nothing but more head winds for that political project.

I think it is Gramsci who says that the past has died but the new has not yet been born and so we are haunted by the ghost of yesterday - that has been british politics since 2010 (brexit is part and parcel of that toxic nostalgia, seeking to bring back something that can never return), and especially the zombie government since 2019. I think something entirely different might be on the horison now. We may be going through an exorcism...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOV5GBoWUAA1JJ2.jpg:large

Except that almost every single country in the western world is showing surging support for the hard right, or far right, in the young. Other than that, good point

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/14/young-germans-afd-european-elections

"How far-right parties seduced young voters across Europe"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jun/14/far-right-seduced-young-voters-europe-elections
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,931
    Leon said:

"One in every 16 pupils at school here is now a ‘newcomer’ according to the Department of Education.

"The term is used to refer to a pupil who is often originally from outside the UK and does not initially speak the same language as their class teacher."

What's the equivalent stat for the rest of the UK? I can't imagine it's so very different. It's certainly more than that at my daughter's primary school. Ten years ago, it was more like 1 in 80.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 398
    edited June 14
    ToryJim said:

The polling is interesting, the election isn’t. I think the last actual interesting election of my lifetime was 1992. The problem with modern campaigns is that the political argument is largely drowned out by an obsession with ephemera.

How often is the standard journalist question “how will this affect the polls?” The whole debate is framed by whether it benefits the narrow strategy of one or other political party. The focus is wrong. The whole political-media complex is engaged in talking amongst themselves the voters don’t get a look in.

The greatest exemplar of this problem is GB News, not for the reasons people think. The problem is it is a cast of people some of whom are confused as to whether they want to be poachers or gamekeepers. It is an outrage that sitting MPs were setting themselves up as quasi journalistic figures. However most of the media are problematic because they want to make the news rather than relay it, hence the gotcha approach and self conscious editorialising.

The political parties have also given up making an argument for election and play into the prevailing architecture of the media ecosystem. Thoroughly depressing, it’s no longer possible to work out whether the campaign drives the polls or the polls drive the campaign but it is probably the latter.

I know this is probably the worst place to take aim at polling but whilst it may be helpful for placing wagers I think it’s pretty corrosive to electoral politics.
    You are spot on here. I don't see a lot of conversation about what our place in the world is, which I think is the big question as british exceptionalism goes through its protracted death throes. There are those who have come to terms with a diminished britain and want to plan realistically on that and then there are those who still think britain is a major super power and want national strategy to reflect that. Until there is a national consensus on that issue we will probably have to keep going through dishonest GEs.

Despite polling showing 2/3 now want to rejoin the EU and everybody (even Andy Marr) expecting Labour to actively pursue rejoing the SM (the realist, disenchanted story about britains post exeptionalist strategy), it cannot be mentioned.... it is still taboo. That is not good for the country and I partly blane the divisive impetus of FPTP, but also to some extent the british character which tends to stiff upper lippedness and ignoring the elephant in the room to keep up appearances.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Interesting analysis from Public First (they're a policy tracker / consultancy) which possibly mitigates against our - my - assumptions about a Tory swingback and Reform slide.

For example: "On average, Labour voters are expecting their party to fall just shy of a majority with 320 seats, while Conservatives are now on average expecting fewer seats than Labour but roughly a hung parliament (240 seats Conservative, 262 Labour)."

and: " 46% of the public agreed with the slightly excessive statement that the Conservatives “deserve to lose every seat they have”, including around a quarter of their own 2019 voters (24%), and a whole 64% of those who intend to vote Labour."

That's good news for Labour - it means their voters are still likely to be motivated to come out and vote for them.
  • Options
    edited June 14

https://x.com/iosephusm/status/1801282761895936368?s=46

I agree with Beyond Topline’s analysis - Starmer’s favourability ratings are improving even as Labour has a fall in the polls - this indicates it might be tactical vote sorting happening, rather than people actually turning away from Labour.

It’s really important this and those of you placing stakes really should pay attention to it. I don’t think this is just because of my allegiances, but it could be.

The No.1 goal for many of us is to boot out the tories. If I’m VI polled then my answer is ‘LibDem’

Until 3 weeks ago my answer would have been ‘Labour’.

So I go down as someone who has dropped support for Labour in favour of LibDem. But it’s purely because I now know that in Newton Abbot my best chance of defeating the sitting tory MP is to vote LibDem.

Be careful because these national voting intentions are masking a LOT of constituency variations around tactical voting.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,239

ToryJim said:

You are spot on here. I don't see a lot of conversation about what our place in the world is, which I think is the big question as british exceptionalism goes through its protracted death throes. There are those who have come to terms with a diminished britain and want to plan realistically on that and then there are those who still think britain is a major super power and want national strategy to reflect that. Until there is a national consensus on that issue we will probably have to keep going through dishonest GEs.

Despite polling showing 2/3 now want to rejoin the EU and everybody (even Andy Marr) expecting Labour to actively pursue rejoing the SM (the realist, disenchanted story about britains post exeptionalist strategy), it cannot be mentioned.... it is still taboo.
    I don’t think I’ve seen a single poll with rejoin on 66%, not even anything close to that.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

What's the equivalent stat for the rest of the UK? I can't imagine it's so very different. It's certainly more than that at my daughter's primary school. Ten years ago, it was more like 1 in 80.
    And it's growing year by year. Imagine what this does to a class where 2 in 30 kids can't really speak English, or struggle in some way with the language, then it is 3 in 30, 4 in 30

And the centrist Dads of PB in their tedious midwitted naffness maunder on about "elections being won from the centre" and "it's all over for the Right". It really really really isn't; the opposite is the case. Ask Emmanual Macron

A huge tide is turning, a secular change is beginning, and we can see signs of it even in the UK
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,105
    TimS said:

I think there is a difference between "deserve" and "good thing if". No party in recent times more deserves to be crushed than the current Tories in my view. But it's not a good thing if it disappears and is unable to come back as a pragmatic party of government.

The result I would want for them is a crushing defeat and they learn the right lessons from where they went wrong. This is possible, but there are plenty of current Conservatives who seem determined to learn the wrong lessons, including on this board.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I am beginning to wonder if we will see conservative discipline implode totally and the tory campaign just collapse altogether.... We are certainly looking at a total rewriting of the electoral landscape..... The majority of boomers shuffle off to reform to live out the rest of their lives there as their control over the centre wanes. The younger conservative centrists (wets) go to lib dems and a newly centrist labour.

This is the election where the millienials finally came into their own as a voting power house (I am Gen X btw... nobody gives a rats arse about us). That boomer bastion of conservative and reform vote will never recover...not ever. In 2029 and 2034 support for the culture war, pro brexit agenda will have all but been eradicated by natural demographics and the passing of time. So although it is (intellectually) exciting to see reform pass the conservatives in the polls, I see nothing but more head winds for that political project.

I think it is Gramsci who says that the past has died but the new has not yet been born and so we are haunted by the ghost of yesterday - that has been british politics since 2010 (brexit is part and parcel of that toxic nostalgia, seeking to bring back something that can never return), and especially the zombie government since 2019. I think something entirely different might be on the horison now. We may be going through an exorcism...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GOV5GBoWUAA1JJ2.jpg:large

Except that almost every single country in the western world is showing surging support for the hard right, or far right, in the young. Other than that, good point

https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/14/young-germans-afd-european-elections

"How far-right parties seduced young voters across Europe"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jun/14/far-right-seduced-young-voters-europe-elections
    That is path dependent... it is a unique feature of british politics and FPTP. The conservative/boomer alliance over many many decades has been: boomers vote conservatives and long as the conservatives block housing construction to push up house prices and allow boomers to live off rent and then cut all services for anybody under 50 to prop up triple lock and NHS for the elderly who use it the most. And that has radicalised the young to the left in britain. Nobody else has that electoral system in europe. Proportional representation has prevented the monopolisation of political power by the boomers.... the boomers now face being outnumbered by millenials and gen x who carry a big grudge and that is only going to get worse in 2029 and 2034.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,111

boulay said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

The other advantage Conservatives have over reform is the huge number they have in the HoL. If the Tories were down to a rump then there is the possibility of people such as Cameron and other Tory Lords to start being very vocal and active to spread a centrist Tory message to bolster a small Commons representation.

It would need those Lords to step up and not be lazy but they can get airtime and coverage in a way nobody in reform other than Farage will get.
    More significant is the councillor base. How many councillors will Reform get elected next May? Zip. There will still be hundreds of Tory Cllrs up and down the country supported by local parties. Nothing equivalent for Reform. Whatever the shellacking the Tories just need to hold their nerve and not go down a populist rabbit hole. The electoral cycle will eventually turn.
    I'm not sure how you can say that with such confidence. If Reform finish ahead of the Cons then we may well see some Con councillors and activists defect. In my seat, the Reform candidate is an ex-Conservative councillor.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,186

No solace for you there.
    Also some of those 20% will be people who think the Tories deserve to be reelected but also Labour deserve a go and I can't decide, they're all so fabulous
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,893
    edited June 14
    @MarqueeMark FPT - re Torbay

Thanks for your comments.

It sounds like a 'no bet' to me. I agree it could go in a meltdown but in that case there are better bets elsewhere. You are probably right that the popularity of the incumbent will see him through otherwise.

Good luck on the stump. I know you work hard and report honestly. I hope you see some return for your efforts.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

Despite polling showing 2/3 now want to rejoin the EU and everybody (even Andy Marr) expecting Labour to actively pursue rejoing the SM (the realist, disenchanted story about britains post exeptionalist strategy), it cannot be mentioned.... it is still taboo.
    I don’t think I’ve seen a single poll with rejoin on 66%, not even anything close to that.
    Verian 30.5-3.6.24 Apply to join/Stay Out 67 33
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,500

I think there is some interesting undercurrents in constituency forecasts. Most of the models apply national trends nationally. Labour are up which means they must be up everywhere. Right?

Labour are supposedly the challenger in Tewksbury, yet the LDs have the base, the ground campaign and the momentum https://pollingreport.uk/seats/E14001542

Or my own seat of ANME where I am coming 2nd last behind "other" who aren't on the ballot paper. Labour - with no councillors, no base, no campaigning of any kind are running the SNP close https://pollingreport.uk/seats/S14000062

Its a change election and a biggie, so anything can happen. I would query whether "anything" is as some of the models are predicting.

What does that mean for the national result? Well, the interest at the moment seems to be that Labour are sliding, with votes going off to various parties. That's almost certainly true as the 2nd phase of ELE kicks into gear. There are bound to be a few seats where that splits the ToryELE vote and the Tory incumbent clings on. But lots of us in lots of different seats look at the models and say "that isn't what is happening here"

I really dont think their methodology is working in some Scottish seats. Labour wont be second in ANME thats for sure.
  • Options
    darkage said:

I think what I am seeing with a lot of comments on here is 'centrist denial' and this could actually have some betting implications. People are reading the current situation in an essentially 20th century way ie what is happening on the right is 'extremists' 'splitting' and who will become increasingly irrellevant over time. This overlooks what has been happening over the last decade on a global scale with the rise of insurgent political movements that disrupt political norms- Brexit, Trump, Italy, France, Germany, the list goes on.

What seems apparent to me is that we are seeing the final death through incoherance and exhaustion of the 'broad church' conservative party and the creation of a more coherent right wing political movement which can, like everything else that has happened globally, begin as a ridiculed insurgency but end up close to, or achieving power, building on dissatisfaction with the inevitable failings of the 'centrist, managerial status quo'. It is a small jump from 30% to 40% but the latter can win a general election under the FPTP system.

It may not be 'reform' that carries this insurgency forward. It could be a revised version of the Conservative Party having dumped the Hunts, Sunaks and Mordaunts. Or a 'start up' party of the type Cummings suggests. But to just assume all this is irrelevant extremism just seems to be an act of enormous denial given what is happening on a global scale.

Isn’t there a danger though that MPs, such as Sunak, get mislabelled and dumped. Everything I read about Sunak before he was Chancellor etc, and I took interest early from an old boys mag heads-up, was that he was very much a low tax, small gov, pro Brexit person. Even articles he’d written at school were in this vein.

The problem is that when the reality of having to stop everyone’s businesses collapsing and everyone losing their jobs came along with Covid, then having to pay for it, then the crazy cost of living crisis thanks to Russia, the state did what small state people actually do believe in, and acted as a safety net. Unfortunately it was a ridiculously expensive safety net.

So Sunak, a small state low tax politician by instinct had to do something he wouldn’t want to do but added to that government is hemmed in by treasury and market orthodoxies so there are very few “acceptable solutions”.

So Sunak, and Hunt, being dry, sound money politicians are left with a shitshow where they have to regain trust of markets (after the Truss event) and try and restore stability to the economy. These aren’t sexy things to do. You don’t get thanks for it from the public because the public wants you to hose money on their pet projects but want you to take that money from anyone but them.

In the meantime you’ve got immigration soaring, countless policies and tweaks have failed, different wings want different actions, some elements of society will do anything to stop your measures. It’s bearable to a gov if the country is in good shape economically but the absolute focus has been on the economy by Sunak and Hunt and Sunak isn’t a salesman who can say “yeah sorry people, country is in a mess (by the way I did warn it would happen with Truss but was ignored) and as soon as we have sorted the economy we will turn on immigration as diligently.

So back to the beginning if you wrongly identify the problems and problem MPs you will get the wrong solutions. The right needs to be flexible and clear that sometimes there need to be big taxes and big gov in emergencies and yes we’ve raised taxes but our instincts are always to lower when we can where Labour’s are to keep high or raise permanently.

• Options
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,372
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Heathener said:

Also catching up on various news titbits and polling, broadcasts, and debates.

I’m not sure how anyone interested in politics can describe this is as a dull election? It’s the most interesting, and exciting, campaign of my life. I guess for different reasons 2019 and 2017 were also fun to watch, and I appreciate that if you are a Conservative party worker this must be hell on earth right now, but for neutrals it’s absolutely fascinating.

There are still so many permutations, from truly landscape altering to something more nuanced. Can anyone really say they are sure which way this is going from here?

It is evidence that politics is subject to the same disruption as many areas of life. The conservative collapse though was foreshadowed in the 2019 Euro elections (why does this never get discussed) where they had a similar collapse/ 'extinction level event'. There was then a miraculous political reinvention which didn't last. What I find quite amusing is that, against this backdrop, people still cling to the idea that there are 'political norms' that still apply ie 'elections are won in the centre'. I think anything can happen, the arrival of 'reform' is just the beginning.
    Every British election in my lifetime has been won by the party in the centre.

It's just the centre moves over time. And calling yourself centrist doesn't make you so.

In 2017-19 the centrist position was to get Brexit done, but we had self-proclaimed "centrists" who wouldn't accept the will of the voters in the Referendum. So the party that pitched to the centre won nearly 50% of the vote while the parties that did not lost.

Today the centrist position is that things are broken that need fixing and that it's time for a change.

The arrival of Reform is no more meaningful than the arrival of their predecessors like the BNP. They're nobodies who will get either zero or next to zero MPs and will never win an election.
    What is it that is bothering you exactly about Reform? They have policies that based on your posting history you would probably like, IE dealing severely with violent criminals. The BNP were never the second most popular party in an opinion poll, or anywhere near.
    I don't like racist, anti-immigration shitbags for starters.
  • Options
    edited June 14
    MIGRATION

I have avoided this topic entirely because I find it so toxic and this place is not my kind of natural demographic (I’m on here for betting reasons, so no offence meant). And I certainly do not want to light a touch paper.

However, I did encounter something I found very strange c. 18 months ago.

I was moving house and selling a few things which included a fairly new John Lewis mattress. I advertised on FB marketplace and the first person to respond clinched the sale. She sent a driver around with the cash to collect it.

I thought little more about it until 24 hours later she messaged me to say she wasn’t satisfied with the quality and wanted her money back. I was a bit taken aback (JLP aren’t usually rubbish) but I told her that was fine. Return the mattress and I’d refund her. Her reply was this:

’I am a Nigerian nurse who has come over here to work in your Health Service in response to your Government advertising in my country for people to come and help out in Britain. I have no money and I am doing you all a service so please give me the mattress for free.'

I was, and still am, on several levels astonished.
  • Options

Reform support of course may very well turn out to be like Bart Simpsons support for Class President. Certainly that's been the consistent theme in their electoral performance thus far. Unfortunately for the Tories, the narrative may see support jumping across to the paper tiger, screwing them both

Family anecdote KLAXON

The more rightwing member of my family WhatsApp are considering Reform. For context, we are a mix as an extended family, trending right, but with some notable exceptions - usually the righties vote Tory. Not this time, HOWEVER they are wary of voting Reform because rhe local candidate is SO bad. He lists on his leaflet his main hobbies, one of which is "collecting tattoos". Yet my fam now officially despises the Tories. I suspect they will split - return reluctantly to the Tories, abstain or spoil, hold nose and go Reform

But that's a number of Reform votes lost because of a shite candidate. This will be an issue in many places
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,088
    edited June 14

boulay said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Taz said:

More significant is the councillor base. How many councillors will Reform get elected next May? Zip. There will still be hundreds of Tory Cllrs up and down the country supported by local parties. Nothing equivalent for Reform. Whatever the shellacking the Tories just need to hold their nerve and not go down a populist rabbit hole. The electoral cycle will eventually turn.
    I am sure that posters like you (forgive me if this is wrong) were urging the Tories to drop Boris when he was 5 points behind in the polls. Then to drop Truss in favour of Sunak (not let Boris back in). Then against any leadership challenges to Sunak. Now it's 'don't go down the populist rabbit-hole - you still have some councillors!!'

Your strain of opinion doesn't have any credibility in this argument any more, if it ever did.

And what are these awful populist rabbit holes? Not bankrupting the country over Net Zero whilst China burns coal to make all the things that were once made here? Controlling our borders and only bringing in people that we need (except a few in deep need themselves) and can assimilate?
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,027
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Once upon a time, my lad was a 'newcomer' at primary school in Germany, from an English-speaking home. It wasn't a big deal. According to the teachers, he was a bit quiet at first, but he quickly picked up the language, made friends and enjoyed himself. As do most kids.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,239

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

No, that poll had rejoin on 56%.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,918

Surely you need Davey to be up your way tossing a caber at some point!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Family anecdote KLAXON

The more rightwing member of my family WhatsApp are considering Reform. For context, we are a mix as an extended family, trending right, but with some notable exceptions - usually the righties vote Tory. Not this time, HOWEVER they are wary of voting Reform because rhe local candidate is SO bad. He lists on his leaflet his main hobbies, one of which is "collecting tattoos". Yet my fam now officially despises the Tories. I suspect they will split - return reluctantly to the Tories, abstain or spoil, hold nose and go Reform

But that's a number of Reform votes lost because of a shite candidate. This will be an issue in many places
    I like a Famalamecdote!
    Yes I suspect Reform will do astoundingly in places but utterly bomb in leafy shires, London and Scotland. They'll mop up in Midlands towns, the Saxon shore and the NE