Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer is the most popular politician in Britain – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

So just voted for the Wilts PCC. Hope my vote helps.

Quick question for the hive mind. I was asked for my ID, which I provided, no issue. I asked if I could see the officers ID and was refused “you don’t need to see that”.
    Do I have a right to see their ID? Shouldn’t they have something on them? Or was I just being a dick? (I was polite about it)

Thoughts?

I don't think asking a mild question would be being a dick, but I also don't see why you would have a right to see their ID either - they are following the law requiring to see your ID for a specific purpose, what purpose would you or anyone have to see their ID? As long as they have been trained and authorised to do the job it doesn't matter who they are.

They probably did have something on them, but they wouldn't necessarily need one on them so maybe they didn't - after all, they probably were not voting (as would have postal voted).

I too voted for the Wilts PCC, so we've probably accounted for a significant sample sized of the miserably low turnout.
    I found it an uninspiring election. Four candidates, the three main parties and an independent who I assume has done his 30 years in the force and wants some more. In the end I went with the lady from Labour as (a) not the dickish Tory and (b) the only female. Not sure when the count is.
    Saturday. Blame Swindon, who have a 1/3 election to count tomorrow.

For those looking for wider implications, Swindon has been pretty swingy over the years, and last year the Tories got annihilated and lost nearly all the seats that were up and Labour gained control for the first time in about 20 years. With another dozen and more Tory seats up this time, expect a big shift to Labour again.
    I can’t blame Swindon - I was born there…
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,946

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

Boris Johnson turned away from polling station as he forgot his ID.

"Sky News understands polling station staff were forced to turn the former prime minister away after he initially failed to comply with legislation he introduced while he was in Downing Street.

Mr Johnson, who introduced the Elections Act requiring photo ID in 2022, was attempting to cast his ballot in South Oxfordshire, where a police and crime commissioner for the Thames Valley is being selected."

Made my day.

I assume this is a joke. It can't be real.
    I don't put it past Johnson to have done it as a deliberate stunt, in part to disarm criticism of the move as a vote suppression tactic. It hardly looks like the work of an evil mastermind when he's caught out by it himself.
    Your argument falls down on the point that it would require planning and organisation by Johnson.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

So just voted for the Wilts PCC. Hope my vote helps.

Quick question for the hive mind. I was asked for my ID, which I provided, no issue. I asked if I could see the officers ID and was refused “you don’t need to see that”.
    Do I have a right to see their ID? Shouldn’t they have something on them? Or was I just being a dick? (I was polite about it)

Thoughts?

Well I suspect they go through a lot of checks before being allowed to work at the polling stations so I wouldn’t have been worried and I wouldn’t ask them for ID but it’s not like you shot Bambi !
    I think it’s an interesting one. I think you have the right to ask a police officer for ID, for instance. I would have thought there was something for the polling station officers.
    It’s not a big thing, but just struck me as I voted.
    I think it reasonable to ask them to prove that they are a police constable or a polling officer, but I wouldn't expect to see personal ID. That would potentially open people up to interference.
    So maybe my question was wrong - could they show me evidence that they were authorised to ask for my ID?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,760
    edited May 2
    tlg86 said:
    Is Putin on the board of Boeing?
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 226
    ydoethur said:

megasaur said:

ydoethur said:

Just been and voted.

Turnout around the 16% mark.

One of the tellers said she was 'dead chuffed' it was that high.

Our democracy is stuffed.

For PCC or proper local?
    Both.
    Ok that's bad.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    edited May 2

tlg86 said:
    Putin on the board of Boeing?
    No, he fell out a fire door that wasn't secured properly.

EDIT: I'm off on a work trip in just over three weeks on two 787s, a 737-NG and a MAX8 so yeah. I might come back.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

What on earth is going on with this new arena in Manchester?

They couldn't organise a pregnancy on a Salford council estate.
    Apparently things were even falling off from the ceiling yesterday?

Whoever is in charge of this project needs to be fired.
    I assume the venue has a safety certificate, like footy stadiums etc. So quite how they were able to very nearly open yesterday and at the same time have air conditioning falling off the ceiling boggles the mind.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,957
    boulay said:

Cookie said:

boulay said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Further thoughts on Paris. It really depends where you go. The left bank is generally much better. The 6th and 7th look fine. Even around Gare Montparnasse it looks civilised

It’s as soon as you cross the Seine and it’s anywhere in and around the 1st and 2nd, and of course, the Gare du Nord

I’m about 300m from the Opera and I just saw a guy lying flat out on the bare sidewalk, face down, apparently comatose. Fentanyl or Tranq I presume

You just didn’t see shit like that 20 years ago. Maybe even 5 years ago

It’s particularly noticeable in Paris BECAUSE it was once so pristine - and always beautiful. Now she’s like a model that got beaten up and lost three teeth and potentially an eye

I don't think it would be fent. Even our govt has the good sense to be monitoring the sewage for it and I am sure if the french found it the press would be full of omg le fent en Europe stories

Excellent piece on what the us drug problem looks like in phoenix Arizona (doubly sad because phoenix Arizona features in the most feel good song ever written)

https://walkingtheworld.substack.com/p/walking-phoenix
    By The Time I Get To Phoenix?

That's more of a feel-melancholy song imo. Also a good example of how the vastness and diversity of America gives them such a songwriting advantage.

By the time I get to Crawley she'll be ... well whatever she'll be doing it doesn't work at all, does it.
    "I never thought it would happen with me & the girl from Clapham..."
    I think the UK has decent songwriting scope. You have the Scottish Highlands, London, (think Baker Street, Waterloo Sunset). Sadly Wales and Cornwall haven't been successfully mined for pop songs.
    London has a lot of songs. Including one of the most beautiful songs ever written:

A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

I reckon the Tori Amos version from Good Omens is particularly fine

https://youtu.be/Q3VchDN_vN8?si=9ej6H9-I65-CQNIZ
    London also has Waterloo Sunset, which I would contend is also one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

I have a thing about songs written on the vague theme of 'home', even if it's not my own home. See also:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?
    “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the magnetic zeros.

https://youtu.be/DHEOF_rcND8?si=ByQURN_JXpk1vRns

Hadn't come across that before - though it does sound familiar from somewhere.
    It is a fine song, anyway, and I shall add it to my summer playlist - it sits almost plum in the centre of the Cookie family taste venn diagram.
    A pedant would point out that at first listen it appears to be a love song rather than actually about home ('home is where I'm alone with you' - a fine sentiment, but one which actually hints that geography is unimportant, which is the opposite theme) - though it does have a chord structure hinting at themes of home. Anyway, it's lovely - thank you.
    I'm pretty sure that I introduced PB to that a few months back
    That will be where I got the inspiration to buy the album from in 2010 when it came out. Thanks for the tip.
    I admit the only song I've rediscovered today is another Miss Eclectech, which is a moderately rude send up of I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing, set in a Petting Zoo. I think I posted a different one the other day.

This is now a 20 year old flash animation - 2004.
    https://eclectech.co.uk/nonsense/pettingzoo
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"John Cleese cut N-word from Fawlty Towers revival because people ‘don’t understand irony’
    Speaking at launch for West End adaptation, Cleese complains about literal-minded viewers ‘not playing with a full deck’"

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/article/2024/may/02/john-cleese-cut-n-word-from-fawlty-towers-revival-because-people-dont-understand-irony

Also known as the Alf Garnett problem.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,326
    edited May 2
    tlg86 said:
    They’re dropping like flies Boeings.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,954
    edited May 2
    kle4 said:

Heathener said:

I mentioned this morning my astonishment at my Surrey tory friend’s newfound love-in for Keir Starmer. She thinks he’s great and ‘the next Boris Johnson’ by which she apparently means ‘a man of the people.’

I’m really surprised but maybe Starmer is cutting through.

I find him a lot less phoney than Tony. And I’m sure he will make a very good, solid, PM who will probably lead Labour to two election victories before stepping down.

Hubris. Poll leads can turn very quickly when the new government has the harsh spotlight of responsibility on them. They will blame the Tories for everything for as long as they can (both parties do this of course). But we are not very far on from Labour being on the ropes and talk (crazy talk, but talk none the less) of Labour never gaining power again. Labour will smash the next election but the problems the UK faces won’t be gone and the public will want answers, just as with Brexit. We voted for Brexit to make things better, they are not better, it’s your fault…
    The 'last government' excuse can usually be made to work for a good 2 terms I think. Brown trying it after 13 years was a step too far, and Tories will have no luck if they try it after 14.
    Depends how bad things get and whether it can be directly pinned on the new government or not.

I'm sure when Labour went to MFI for a bailout in '76 they probably tried to pin it on Heath's government, perhaps with some success?

But when the Winter Of Discontent came along there was no one else they could pin the blame on...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,588
    OnboardG1 said:

Andy_JS said:

"John Cleese cut N-word from Fawlty Towers revival because people ‘don’t understand irony’
    Speaking at launch for West End adaptation, Cleese complains about literal-minded viewers ‘not playing with a full deck’"

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/article/2024/may/02/john-cleese-cut-n-word-from-fawlty-towers-revival-because-people-dont-understand-irony

Ah yes, the old man yells at cloud story for the day.
    For Fawlty Towers it was two whole series.
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    They’re dropping like flies Boeings.
    Lethality to the Max?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,547
    An hour to go, All the psychos start thinking about voting now
  • Options

I thought Johnson went to vote earlier?
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126
    edited May 2

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

SKS personal ratings are still pretty poor, given the circumstances, IMO.

This certainly isn't 1997 and he's not being swept into Downing St on a wave of goodwill like Blair was. There will be no years-long honeymoon and I think he'll be a very unpopular Prime Minister within a couple of years, personally.

Not to mention that Blair became PM at about the easiest time during the entire 20th century.

Starmer will have a much harder job in a much more dangerous and unpredictable world.

GIN1138 said:

This certainly isn't 1997 and he's not being swept into Downing St on a wave of goodwill like Blair was. There will be no years-long honeymoon and I think he'll be a very unpopular Prime Minister within a couple of years, personally.

Not to mention that Blair became PM at about the easiest time during the entire 20th century.

Starmer will have a much harder job in a much more dangerous and unpredictable world.
    I disagree. Ted heath had a better inheritance in June 1970. He was bequeathed both a Balance of Payments surplus and a Fiscal surplus. No departing Tory government since World War 2 has managed either!
    1970 had Northern Ireland heading towards civil war.

The height of the cold war.

Inflation problems and about to get much worse.

Strike problems and about to get much worse.

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I disagree. Ted heath had a better inheritance in June 1970. He was bequeathed both a Balance of Payments surplus and a Fiscal surplus. No departing Tory government since World War 2 has managed either!

Unemployment was circa 600,000 and the economy was growing at a reasonable rate. Inflation was circa 5%.
    Yet despite all these miracles the 66-70 Labour government ranked as one of the most unpopular.

And that's without having to deal with all the 'events' that happened during the 1970s which steadily crippled Heath's government and then steadily crippled the subsequent Wilson/Callaghan government.

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Unemployment was circa 600,000 and the economy was growing at a reasonable rate. Inflation was circa 5%.
    Yet despite all these miracles the 66-70 Labour government ranked as one of the most unpopular.

And that's without having to deal with all the 'events' that happened during the 1970s which steadily crippled Heath's government and then steadily crippled the subsequent Wilson/Callaghan government.
    It was very unpopular from Spring 1967 until mid- 1969 and suffered very heavy defeats at by elections and Local Elections. The May 68 results were disastrous for Labour- far worse than today's results are likely to prove for the Tories. The Tories captured virtually all the London Boroughs including Hackney, Islington and Lambeth. Despite that, Labour did recover strongly from Autumn 1969 and its defeat - in defiance of the polls - in June 1970 came as a great shock.
    I have wondered about why that should have been a shock.

The London local elections only a few weeks earlier still showed an 11% Conservative lead over Labour.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_Greater_London_Council_election

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

It was very unpopular from Spring 1967 until mid- 1969 and suffered very heavy defeats at by elections and Local Elections. The May 68 results were disastrous for Labour- far worse than today's results are likely to prove for the Tories. The Tories captured virtually all the London Boroughs including Hackney, Islington and Lambeth. Despite that, Labour did recover strongly from Autumn 1969 and its defeat - in defiance of the polls - in June 1970 came as a great shock.

The London local elections only a few weeks earlier still showed an 11% Conservative lead over Labour.

Well the GLC and County Council elections held in April 1970 were not particularly encouraging for Labour - though the party did make gains at the GLC compared with their landslide defeat in 1967 and gained control of the Inner London Education Authority ILEA - which corresponded to the former LCC area. A few weeks later on May 7th Labour made unexpectedly big gains at the Urban and Borough electios - reversing their 1967 losses. A week later Gallup recorded a Labour lead of 7.5% - followed by other smaller Labour leads from various pollsters. Election speculation exploded and Wilson announced the GE on May 18th to be held on June 18th. It turned out to be Wilson's Waterloo!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

My apologies! Most of them
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,799
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Voted Lib Dems in the locals. The only ones who leafleted were Lib Dem and Tory and both candidates seemed like decent people. Met and been canvassed by both in the past 12 months which has never happened before either, if it wasn't for party I'd happily vote for either on an individual basis.

Not heard diddly squat from Labour who simply haven't bothered.

On a party basis I won't vote for Sunak's Tories while he stands in the way of getting enough construction done to solve the crisis we have as a country of a housing shortage. Had the LDs been NIMBY then I wouldn't have voted for them either, but there's been no NIMBYism so they got my vote.

A local LD not being NIMBY? A local any party not being NIMBY? I wish to move to this utopia you apparently reside in!
    my local LD councillors are pro-building, so not that unusual. They just want the developments to be well designed for transport and include low cost housing. The NIMBYS are pretty much apolitical, at least in a party sense.
    Why would the LibDems want low cost housing on new developments? Their middle class voters buying the executive homes won't want a load of chaos living across the street. Vote loser.
  • Options

I’m not sure we are heading for long queues outside the polling stations as desperate voters try to cast their vote…
  • Options
    legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Well the GLC and County Council elections held in April 1970 were not particularly encouraging for Labour - thoug the party did make gains at the GLC compared with their landslide defeat in 1967 and gained control of the Inner London Education Authority ILEA - which corresponded to the former LCC area. A few weeks later on May 4th Labour made unexpectedly big gains at the Urban and Borough electios - reversing their 1967 losses. A week later Gallup recorded a Labour lead of 7.5% - followed by other smaller Labour leads from various pollsters. Election speculation exploded and Wilson announced the GE on May 18th to be held on June 18th. It turned out to be Wilson's Waterloo!
    He should not have tried to make La Haye, even though the Sun shone.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,812
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Trump on Paris and London (courtesy of a Biden campaign account):

https://x.com/bidenhq/status/1785759162783224174

Trump: Look at Paris. Look at London. They're no longer recognizable. I'm going to get myself into a lot of trouble, but you know what? That's the fact, they are no longer recognizable. We can't let that happen here

He's entirely right. The demographic shift in London is incredible. It was 80-90% native white British within living memory, just two or three decades? Now native whites are a minority. You can, of course, argue whether this is good or bad, or a mix, but has it happened? Yes

Trying to deny it will make Dems looks stupid. Don't do it
    There's a slight difference between London and Paris though, which Trump wouldn't know or care about, which is that hardly anyone in London cares about race because most people get along fine 99% of the time. That isn't the impression one gets in Paris.
    London is a great city . With different cultures mixing and very little problems on that front . I love going up for the day , it has a great buzz and I love the diversity . Sadly the same can’t be said for Paris . I love France generally and have spent lots of time there , months at a time but I tend to avoid Paris now.
    Why do you "avoid Paris now"?
    I can’t be arsed with it. Too much drama to get into , the Metro is a total dump and nothing like the London Underground where I’ve never felt unsafe . From afar Paris looks beautiful and there will be some iconic settings for the Olympic events . The Parisians though are generally stuck up and no one outside of Paris likes them .

I had a place close to the Pyrenees not far from Lourdes and the people were just lovely . I also had many French friends when I lived in London and they said it was far superior and much more laid back than Paris .
    Interesting, and thankyou

To my mind Paris has a sinister edge almost entirely absent in London. It's not as simple as "Paris is more violent" - I'm not remotely sure it is. It's more to do with native Gallic rudeness mixing unhappily with high levels of migration, from certain quite attitudinal areas - the Maghreb in particular

You get this weird surliness which pervades, tho outbreaks of smiley friendliness can leaven it, but not often enough

That was my main impression when I returned home today. London is jollier, and cheerier, even tho Paris is much more beautiful

But before I start cheer eading for London I have to say, again, that I think levels of migration are now so high we are destined for some brutal hard right governments, right across Europe (Britain likely included) unless we see a remarkable turnaround

[insert AI clause here: as in: none of this applies if AI changes the world, as it well might]
  • Options

I’m not sure we are heading for long queues outside the polling stations as desperate voters try to cast their vote…
    Vote late vote often!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I assume the venue has a safety certificate, like footy stadiums etc. So quite how they were able to very nearly open yesterday and at the same time have air conditioning falling off the ceiling boggles the mind.
    Never underestimate the frequency and depth of incompetence that can be found on any complex matter.
  • Options
    China. I am sure of it
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154
    edited May 2

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

You’d think after all the deliberations over Arena that the licensing Authorities in Manchester would have been more ‘controlling’!
    They come across as disorganised and casual.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,046
    Yes we Khan!

Voted Green for the London Assembly top up.

How much will the Tory filth poll here?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,689

Donkeys said:

There are now tent protests at many British universities, calling for divestment from Israel and an end to arming it. What they need is a unifying slogan. "BDS" (boycott, divestment, sanctions) would be one.

What they need is stop being so self serving, get off the fat arse of their sitting, and help the charities helping war torn people everywhere - not just Palestinians they see on their news, but the Sudanese and others they can’t.
    Any word on your efforts on behalf of the Sudanese and others?
    I donate to Red Cross Red Crescent.

https://www.redcross.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/international/sudan#:~:text=Our emergency response is being,the conflict from day one.
  • Options
    Leon said:

China. I am sure of it
    Why would China kill a Boeing whistleblower?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,169
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Trump on Paris and London (courtesy of a Biden campaign account):

https://x.com/bidenhq/status/1785759162783224174

Trump: Look at Paris. Look at London. They're no longer recognizable. I'm going to get myself into a lot of trouble, but you know what? That's the fact, they are no longer recognizable. We can't let that happen here

He's entirely right. The demographic shift in London is incredible. It was 80-90% native white British within living memory, just two or three decades? Now native whites are a minority. You can, of course, argue whether this is good or bad, or a mix, but has it happened? Yes

Trying to deny it will make Dems looks stupid. Don't do it
    Historically, looking at London since 1066 (at least) it’s been mostly migrant.

Turn again, Whittington!
    London is now 15-20% Muslim, and that has happened in a couple of decades. The idea this isn't a massive cultural revolution is insane, of course it is

It is probably the biggest, quickest cultural change since London was refounded by the Normans in 1066

And I'd love to believe London is some harmonious cultural melting pot leading the way - I adore my home town - I just don't think it is true. Sadly. I feel about immigration the way I felt about Brexit in, say, 2006. The powers-that-be are ignoring all the massive warning signs (this is true across the West, this isn't a British thing) and they are powering on with their great immigration experiment, and I feel it will end in the same tragic rupture as Brexit. We will see hard right governments elected across Europe and they will be brutal and cruel

Of course this could still be averted with a total clampdown on migration, and some serious attempts at assimilation, but it won't happen, the elite is too invested in the Project. It grieves me
    This Government are having a go with Rwanda.

But they need to tighten up on legal migration too.

The dependent visas take the absolute piss. It's a backdoor in via joker courses and it shouldn't be allowed.
    We've had 14 years of Tory government and they have done fuck all. Fuck them. They got a stern ticking off with the Brexit vote, and what did they do? Increase immigration by extraordinary amounts, unprecedented in our history. They are useless and despicable, I hope they die

As I read French history, the comparisons with the end of the Ancien Regime are quite stunning. The tin-eared stupidity, the embedded hypocrisy, the frenetic emphasis on status amongst a tiny elite, even as the lower orders mutiny and prepare the guiillotine. The role of the church is replaced by the role of the Woke, paying obeisance to an insane God only they can see

We are headed for civil strife and terrible turmoil, in Europe
    Weren't you calling for the return of free movement from the EU recently ?

The mistake the government made on immigration was not enforcing a high enough minimum earnings for migrants.

High earning migrants are good because that means they're high skilled.
    What about low-earning but highly skilled migrants? We have Phd's who graduate and are being made to leave as they haven't found a high-paid job in time.
    Highly skilled in what ?

Obviously not in finding themselves a job in time.

Even though we've had full employment and are continually told that we need more immigrants to fill all the jobs.

Still there's nothing to stop them applying for jobs after they've left - if they can ever sort themselves out.

Lowest common denominator migration policies have failed.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Yes we Khan!

Voted Green for the London Assembly top up.

How much will the Tory filth poll here?

I don't think the Greens would thank you for calling them 'Tory filth.'
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,038

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Voted Lib Dems in the locals. The only ones who leafleted were Lib Dem and Tory and both candidates seemed like decent people. Met and been canvassed by both in the past 12 months which has never happened before either, if it wasn't for party I'd happily vote for either on an individual basis.

On a party basis I won't vote for Sunak's Tories while he stands in the way of getting enough construction done to solve the crisis we have as a country of a housing shortage. Had the LDs been NIMBY then I wouldn't have voted for them either, but there's been no NIMBYism so they got my vote.

A local LD not being NIMBY? A local any party not being NIMBY? I wish to move to this utopia you apparently reside in!
    my local LD councillors are pro-building, so not that unusual. They just want the developments to be well designed for transport and include low cost housing. The NIMBYS are pretty much apolitical, at least in a party sense.
    Why would the LibDems want low cost housing on new developments? Their middle class voters buying the executive homes won't want a load of chaos living across the street. Vote loser.
    They get regularly re elected, so are popular. Examine your prejudices. The LD vote is remarkably evenly spread by age and demographics. Indeed that is one of our problems.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

They get regularly re elected, so are popular. Examine your prejudices. The LD vote is remarkably evenly spread by age and demographics. Indeed that is one of our problems.
    In Scotland, they are astonishingly NIMBY. Basically an arm of the Residents' Associations.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,721

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

To help keep a balanced community.

There is no point in having a community of waelthy bankers, lawyers and flint-knappers if there is nobody near to fix the gas leaks....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    I have to disagree with the header on net ratings. As long as there aren’t too many don’t knows, I believe the gross positive number is more important.

If the leaders of the two main parties scores were

41-42
    &
    33-29

I would rather be the one on 41 with a net minus

That said, in this case 28 isn’t that great a GP; just shows how unpopular politicians are that 28 is the highest GP of the current bunch, and I’d take even money that Sir Keir’s will be lower than that come the GE
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

China. I'm sure of it. Or aliens. China or aliens. Or China and aliens.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,192
    tlg86 said:
    "He was 45, had been in good health and was noted for having a healthy lifestyle."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,168
    ydoethur said:

He *tried*.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,169
    legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Well the GLC and County Council elections held in April 1970 were not particularly encouraging for Labour - though the party did make gains at the GLC compared with their landslide defeat in 1967 and gained control of the Inner London Education Authority ILEA - which corresponded to the former LCC area. A few weeks later on May 7th Labour made unexpectedly big gains at the Urban and Borough electios - reversing their 1967 losses. A week later Gallup recorded a Labour lead of 7.5% - followed by other smaller Labour leads from various pollsters. Election speculation exploded and Wilson announced the GE on May 18th to be held on June 18th. It turned out to be Wilson's Waterloo!
    Wiki is unusually light on details on the 1970 local elections with the exception of London.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,192

Intriguing comment, which I don't pretend to understand.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

He *tried*.
    I said *tried to vote* not *voted*
  • Options

Leon said:

China. I am sure of it
    Why would China kill a Boeing whistleblower?
    Because they are attacking US manufacturing and infra any way they can, this is a fact

https://www.reuters.com/technology/cybersecurity/fbi-says-chinese-hackers-preparing-attack-us-infrastructure-2024-04-18/

Also, China is now desperate to break the Boeing/Airbus duopoly, they have the airplane ready to roll, right now, and they are already making inroads

"China’s New Plane Wins Two Big Orders: Should Airbus and Boeing Be Worried?"

https://skift.com/2024/04/29/chinas-new-plane-wins-two-big-orders-should-airbus-and-boeing-be-worried/

2 + 2 = 4. My guess is that China sees that Boeing is in trouble (of Boeing's own devising) and China has leapt on this opportunity, perhaps sabotaging the odd plane, and killing the odd whistleblower, so as to roil Boeing and send it spinning into oblivion

I do NOT believe that Boeing is murdering whistleblowers, so could it be Beijing? yes

And btw America is quite capable of doing this in reverse, indeed it probably has (likewise bigger European nations, like us)
  • Options
    edited May 2
    Here is an article that has aged badly I suppose. Written by me, pre partygate, about what I consider to be the absurdity of net ratings.

I think the thinking behind it still stands though, even if events have led to Sir Keir now being almost certain to be the next PM while Boris is nowhere to be seen

http://aboutasfarasdelgados.blogspot.com/2021/03/the-optical-illusion-of-net-ratings.html
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,553
    edited May 2
    Just voted. Labour for only the third time in my life (and the third time in succession). Becoming something of a habit….
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,845
    Andy_JS said:

tlg86 said:
    "He was 45, had been in good health and was noted for having a healthy lifestyle."
    I'm not sure what is going on, but it stinks.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Lol, just a little joke. I couldn't leave it this late I'd be worried my watch was wrong
  • Options
    kamski said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

China. I'm sure of it. Or aliens. China or aliens. Or China and aliens.
    Or, I am right, and you are just quite dim. There is also that
  • Options
    GB News being woker than any other channel dare I think

Tom: Are you saying that Brianna Ghey was a 16-year old boy?

Keith: Yes

Tom: That's an appalling thing to say!

Keith: I'm sorry, but I believe it's a statement of fact

Keith Jordan, Our Duty Group: 'If a child identifies as trans at school there's been a safeguarding failure'

https://x.com/gbnews/status/1786028871122358324?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,903

Test:

Ein Volk! Eine Stadt! Eine Tonne!
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,324
    Looks like the pro Russian stance of Bedzina Ivanishvili in Georgia may have reached the end of the road. Thousands on the streets of Tbilisi.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

There is no point in having a community of waelthy bankers, lawyers and flint-knappers if there is nobody near to fix the gas leaks....
    That’s one of the advantages of living in a small, long established town. The plumber lives round the corner and his children go to the same school as those of the chap who commutes to the City.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Your main problem is surely the post office? Sir Ed has been keeping his Ed down ever since Mr Bates v the PO but he can't hide for a whole GE campaign.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,107
    Do people ever wonder what people from abroad make of those declarations when you have characters like Count Binface etc on the stage .
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,545
    edited May 2
    An old mate of mine told me today the Leeds Tories are bricking it. There’s a good chance their group leader will be unseated by a Green challenger. The ward is Wetherby, a formerly rock solid Tory, affluent market town in leafy, rural-ish NE Leeds. He’s a former mayor of Wetherby and is well known and is hoping incumbency helps, but a Green was elected last time and apparently it’s all a bit squeaky bum time. They expect all the other Tories up for re-election to lose, some of those from formerly rock solid Tory wards too.
  • Options

Donkeys said:

There are now tent protests at many British universities, calling for divestment from Israel and an end to arming it. What they need is a unifying slogan. "BDS" (boycott, divestment, sanctions) would be one.

What they need is stop being so self serving, get off the fat arse of their sitting, and help the charities helping war torn people everywhere - not just Palestinians they see on their news, but the Sudanese and others they can’t.
    Any word on your efforts on behalf of the Sudanese and others?
    Hey Divvie, have you picked a side you’re rooting for in the Sudan War?

Are RSF the bad guys because they have Putin on board?

One of the reasons to donate to joint Christian Islam charity to help civilians, is anger that these wars are not civil wars - though we are told they are - they are international. That’s who the enemy and bad guy is - game playing by the international community. And if it makes you cross, donating to Red Cross Red Crescent is fighting back against bad things the bad guys do.

https://www.chathamhouse.org/publications/the-world-today/2024-02/sudan-collapsing-heres-how-stop-it
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    My better half isn't going to bother voting, normally votes green or Labour.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,905
    nico679 said:

Do people ever wonder what people from abroad make of those declarations when you have characters like Count Binface etc on the stage .

Just look at Reddit every time there’s a major UK election. It’s full of confused Americans asking whether Count Buckethead is Conservative or Labour.
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Wiki is unusually light on details on the 1970 local elections with the exception of London.

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

legatus said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Pre the reform of Local Government by Heath's government in the early 1970s the local elecion cycle was 3 years rather than the 4 years we have known for the last 50 years - ie councillors were elected for 3 rather than 4 years. That meant that in County Council election years there were two sets of Local Elections with the County Council elections taking place in April followed by the Urban/Borough elections a few weeks later in May. This was true in 1961 - 1964 - 1967 - 1970 - and for the last time in 1973.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

...and you don't have time anyway, as you're off to vote now.
  • Options

An old mate of mine told me today the Leeds Tories are bricking it. There’s a good chance their group leader will be unseated by a Green challenger. The ward is Wetherby, a formerly rock solid Tory, affluent market town in leafy, rural-ish NE Leeds. He’s a former mayor of Wetherby and is well known and is hoping incumbency helps, but a Green was elected last time and apparently it’s all a bit squeaky bum time. They expect all the other Tories up for re-election to lose, some of those from formerly rock solid Tory wards too.

That surprises me because my call is Conservatives doing okay in North Yorkshire when it comes to Mayor election, it will be a third Tory win with Street and Houchen. North Yorkshire overall will always be Tory. For ever and ever.
  • Options

Just voted. Labour for only the third time in my life (and the third time in succession). Becoming something of a habit….

Welcome, Comrade!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,168
    edited May 2
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

He *tried*.
    Eh? You said 'went to vote'. I wouldn't have responded otherwise. Scholarly accuracy is important.

Besides, you might have missed the news.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824

ClippP said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

That’s one of the advantages of living in a small, long established town. The plumber lives round the corner and his children go to the same school as those of the chap who commutes to the City.
    Until the children grow up and have to leave the small, well established town as there's nowhere for them to live themselves if there's been no construction to keep up with both population growth and longer life expectancy.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

He *tried*.
    Eh? You said 'went to vote'. I wouldn't have responded otherwise. Scholarly accuracy is important.
    Ok, I will accept I said *went to vote*.

I still maintain there is a difference between *went to vote* and *voted.*
  • Options

nico679 said:

Just look at Reddit every time there’s a major UK election. It’s full of confused Americans asking whether Count Buckethead is Conservative or Labour.
    Fools.

That's Lord Shitfaced.
  • Options
    edited May 2

nico679 said:

They struggle to comprehend it.

I'll tell you an anecdote on these lines.

Back in circa 2011 Barack Obama rang to speak to David Cameron, he was genuinely perplexed to learn that David Cameron was out delivering leaflets/canvassing in his constituency of Witney and that Dave would call him back in an hour or so as the mobile reception in West Oxfordshire was bad.
    The consistency link is one of the few things that's still good about our politics. Doesn't matter whether you're an MP in a party of one or the Prime Minister, once every four or five years you WILL go back to your constituency and face the music, lol!
  • Options

nico679 said:

Tell them he's a whig to really mess with them.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

It's a great British tradition to prick the pomposity of politicians.

Didn't Farage once get beaten by someone dressed as a dolphin?
  • Options
    bobbobbobbob Posts: 9
    Was the poll before or after Rishi said British workers were faking being sick and doctors can’t be trusted to write sick notes? Bet it seemed like a vote winner to him
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,893
    GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Heathener said:

I mentioned this morning my astonishment at my Surrey tory friend’s newfound love-in for Keir Starmer. She thinks he’s great and ‘the next Boris Johnson’ by which she apparently means ‘a man of the people.’

I find him a lot less phoney than Tony. And I’m sure he will make a very good, solid, PM who will probably lead Labour to two election victories before stepping down.

Hubris. Poll leads can turn very quickly when the new government has the harsh spotlight of responsibility on them. They will blame the Tories for everything for as long as they can (both parties do this of course). But we are not very far on from Labour being on the ropes and talk (crazy talk, but talk none the less) of Labour never gaining power again. Labour will smash the next election but the problems the UK faces won’t be gone and the public will want answers, just as with Brexit. We voted for Brexit to make things better, they are not better, it’s your fault…
    The 'last government' excuse can usually be made to work for a good 2 terms I think. Brown trying it after 13 years was a step too far, and Tories will have no luck if they try it after 14.
    Depends how bad things get and whether it can be directly pinned on the new government or not.

I'm sure when Labour went to MFI for a bailout in '76 they probably tried to pin it on Heath's government, perhaps with some success?

But when the Winter Of Discontent came along there was no one else they could pin the blame on...
    MFI? Were the tables turned?
  • Options
    https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8060/CBP-8060.pdf

Page 18 has details of turnout for local elections since 1973.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,611

Blimey. If Wetherby falls then the Tories are in even more shit than their dire polling suggests.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Back in circa 2011 Barack Obama rang to speak to David Cameron, he was genuinely perplexed to learn that David Cameron was out delivering leaflets/canvassing in his constituency of Witney and that Dave would call him back in an hour or so as the mobile reception in West Oxfordshire was bad.
    Think how fab things would be if he had acknowledged his limitations and stuck to leafletting.
  • Options

That surprises me because my call is Conservatives doing okay in North Yorkshire when it comes to Mayor election, it will be a third Tory win with Street and Houchen. North Yorkshire overall will always be Tory. For ever and ever.
    Wasn't there a poll putting Labour ahead in NY?
  • Options

I’m surprised too, to be honest. Although it’s Leeds on paper, it is only just and it does feel very North Yorkshire out that way. I can understand them getting a kicking in Leeds proper, even in the leafy suburbs where they’ve been solid for years, but Wetherby just seems too dyed-in-the-wool Tory - if a Green hadn’t won there last time I’d say it was bollocks. But the Tories think he could well be a gonner.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,021

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Come come. Lib Dem voters don’t buy “executive homes”. The horror!
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Heathener said:

Dunno, but I hear the wardrobe was a bit wonky...
  • Options

Wasn't there a poll putting Labour ahead in NY?
    "Mr Starmer, this is the NY State electoral office, we're calling to inform you that you've won the electoral college votes as a write in candidate"
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,957
    Interesting chat to the polling office staff this morning; they felt it was a long day but decent money for sitting at a desk.

Checking up it is about £20 per hour.

Today being £230 + 20% extra for running two polls + £30 for a training session.

Given that ours are PCC and D2N2 Mayor with notalot of voters, I can see the attraction.

That's nearly 2 weeks of basic state pension.
  • Options

Blimey. If Wetherby falls then the Tories are in even more shit than their dire polling suggests.
    Went Green in 2023, so unless Alan Lamb is considerably more popular than Linda Richards I expect the Greens will win this time too.
  • Options
    edited May 2

That’s exactly what I said. But a Green got in last year. So who knows?!
  • Options
    MattW said:

Interesting chat to the polling office staff this morning; they felt it was a long day but decent money for sitting at a desk.

Today being £230 + 20% extra for running two polls + £30 for a training session.

Given that ours are PCC and D2N2 Mayor with notalot of voters, I can see the attraction.

I'm surprisingly heartened to hear that the polling staff are paid decently. They should be.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

kle4 said:

Heathener said:

Who would chair the meeting?
  • Options
    megasaur said:

nico679 said:

Think how fab things would be if he had acknowledged his limitations and stuck to leafletting.
    It's comments like this that lead to me using that Nigel Farage photo in thead headers. #CollectivePunishmentForInsultingDave
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    nico679 said:

https://blackadder.fandom.com/wiki/Standing_at_the_Back_Dressed_Stupidly_and_Looking_Stupid_Party
  • Options

My in-laws live in Wetherby. I expect they’ll be voting Reform.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8060/CBP-8060.pdf

Page 18 has details of turnout for local elections since 1973.

That is proper nerd porn.
  • Options

If Leeds goes even more Labour my eldest granddaughter and her partner will be delighted.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824

megasaur said:

nico679 said:

It's comments like this that lead to me using that Nigel Farage photo in thead headers. #CollectivePunishmentForInsultingDave
    No out of context photo will ever trump Corbyn dressing up for the Last Leg in a tuxedo, fur coat and a Bentley.
  • Options
    edited May 2
    Pulpstar said:

Went Green in 2023, so unless Alan Lamb is considerably more popular than Linda Richards I expect the Greens will win this time too.
    I think he is, which is what they’re clinging on to. If he can’t hold on they really are in a very, very bad place. But I think he’ll survive.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

megasaur said:

nico679 said:

#UnelectedHasBeen
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,903
    nico679 said:

To be sure, to be sure… but is he a Protestant Binface or a Catholic Binface?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135
    MattW said:

You can volunteer to be on the list. You probably won't get it as priority will almost certainly go to current or former local authority staff, but people always drop out as the date approaches and some venues are tough to fill, so you never know.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,646

'Wetherby Has Fallen' could be the new 'Were You Still Up For Portillo?'
  • Options

megasaur said:

nico679 said:

No out of context photo will ever trump Corbyn dressing up for the Last Leg in a tuxedo, fur coat and a Bentley.
    He scrubbed up quite well as I remember. Derek Guy would approve I am sure.

Starmer needs to read his twitter. He needs better fitting jackets or to shed a few stone.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,876

megasaur said:

nico679 said:

That's 00Corbyn to you. Seriously, the access he had to people the security services took a great interest in!
  • Options
    While we wait, here’s Britain’s finest comedy sketch on local government:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xu2ib2r5aDw
This discussion has been closed.