Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I have bought golden opinions from all sorts of people – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,419

Cookie said:

I'm enjoying the Shakespeare quotes as thread headers groove we're in. Gives a sprinkle of class.

Like me, Shakespeare is eminently quotable.
    I must be cruel, only to be kind. Some people say Shakespeare is the be-all and the end-all of English literature but his spotless reputation is neither here nor there. All that glisters is not gold and you can have too much of a good thing. The truth will out: Shakespeare used too many clichés.
    Shakespeare invented the cliches… they have only become that by being quoted too frequently
    That’s a cliche.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,346
    mickydroy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'NEW: “You will be part of the greatest comeback in political history”

What Rishi Sunak told Tory staff at a private event at CCHQ last night

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'
    https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1785355128381280726

He might have been inspired by reading the PB posts of Isam, William Glenn, Taz, Moon Rabbit and others.

It's PB wot won it.
    Rishi does at least have nothing to lose, Starmer however is such an overwhelming favourite the pressure is on him.

It could be another 2017 or 1992 if Rishi really does a Major 1992 soapbox on the campaign and Starmer is no Blair or even Corbyn in terms of charismatic oratory and being able to inspire his supporters (indeed in that respect Starmer is the Labour Theresa May, odds on favourite by far and huge poll lead heading into the campaign but not a natural campaigner despite being serious and intelligent).

I still expect Labour to win but I think the campaign will narrow the gap
    Sunak is also no John Major. The soapbox worked because he had the common touch and the ability to work a crowd. Can you imagine Sunak let loose among ordinary people?
    I'm sure he'd have no problem getting out there and shaking the hands of regular people.

So long as he could wipe his hands afterwards.

To be fair I get that impression about a lot of famous champions of the working class in history as well.
    What's all this guff about the soapbox, the right wing media did a hatchet job on the Labour leader, that was the reason Major won. The papers almost certainly don't have the power that they had in 92, but they will still go to town on Starmer, I'm sure that will narrow the polls.
    More Major was not Thatcher nor Kinnock won it for him in 1992 but the Tories could only stretch the elastic that far as 1997 showed
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

He might have been inspired by reading the PB posts of Isam, William Glenn, Taz, Moon Rabbit and others.

It's PB wot won it.
    Rishi does at least have nothing to lose, Starmer however is such an overwhelming favourite the pressure is on him.

It could be another 2017 or 1992 if Rishi really does a Major 1992 soapbox on the campaign and Starmer is no Blair or even Corbyn in terms of charismatic oratory and being able to inspire his supporters (indeed in that respect Starmer is the Labour Theresa May, odds on favourite by far and huge poll lead heading into the campaign but not a natural campaigner despite being serious and intelligent).

Sunak is also no John Major. The soapbox worked because he had the common touch and the ability to work a crowd. Can you imagine Sunak let loose among ordinary people?
    I can actually.

Given his diminutive size, Sunak is a master at the sport of limbo.

He's managed to limbo his way to getting opinion polls worse than Liz Truss achieved.

After an election campaign of Sunak let loose among ordinary people he might manage to limbo to below the 8.8% for the Tories that May achieved in 2019.
    No his poll ratings are still better than the final Tory ratings under Truss
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,209

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

By 1992, Major has been doing the soapbox thing for... 30 years or so? You pick up the knack after a while.
    We go into the GE this year with the two most likely Prime Ministers having been in parliament for less than 20 years combined.

2019 - 47 years
    2017 - 54 years
    2015 - 25 years
    2010 - 36 years
    2005 - 44 years
    2001 - 30 years
    1997 - 32 years
    1992 - 35 years
    1987 - 45 years
    1983 - 57 years
    1979 - 54 years

Different eras entirely.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,456
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I missed this somehow. I guess not every England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has been unveiled as a general election candidate for George Galloway's Workers Party of Britain.

Mr Panesar said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" in Parliament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68929678

I suspect his vote will mainly come from Muslim voters but we shall see
    He’s a Sikh, is there much evidence of cross voting between Sikhs and Muslims?

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,456
    edited April 30

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

Though to be fair Sr Keir has even less common touch than Neil Kinnock did too.

As John Curtice said all 3 main UK parties have dull party leaders for the first time in the post WW2 era, perhaps the SNP joining the club with the bank manager like Swinney. Even when Heath faced Wilson there was at least the great oratory of Jo Grimond or the charismatic, if flawed, Jeremy Thorpe as Liberal leaders to liven things up.
    Don’t worry! The SNP want to elect Swinney to make the others seem charismatic.
    They're not actually going to, are they?

I mean, a caretaker for a proper contest is one thing, but not for good and all? Surely?
    The continuity lot want Swinney for leader until after the 2026 Holyrood election. It allows them another couple of years government courtesy of their little Green helpers.
    Would another couple of years government courtesy of sock muppet Ash and u-know-who be preferable?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,221
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

He's managed to limbo his way to getting opinion polls worse than Liz Truss achieved.

After an election campaign of Sunak let loose among ordinary people he might manage to limbo to below the 8.8% for the Tories that May achieved in 2019.
    Changing the goalposts again. Only this time it's the white line painted across the goalmouth.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

Check your figures.

Most recent opinion poll on Wiki is Deltapoll, with the Tories on 24%

Their final poll under Truss had the Tories on 25%
  • Options
    Plastic-eating bacteria can help waste self-destruct

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68927816
    … By incorporating spores of plastic-eating bacteria they've developed a plastic that can self-destruct.
    The spores remain dormant during the useful lifetime of the plastic, but spring back to life and start to digest the product when exposed to nutrients in compost.

There's hope "we can mitigate plastic pollution in nature", said researcher Han Sol Kim, of the University of California San Diego, La Jolla.

And there might be an added advantage in that the spores increase the toughness of the plastic.
    "Our process makes the materials more rugged, so it extends its useful lifetime," said co-researcher, Jon Pokorski. "And then, when it's done, we're able to eliminate it from the environment, regardless of how it's disposed."
    The plastic is currently being worked on at the laboratory bench but could be in the real world within a few years, with the help of a manufacturer, he added.
    The type of bacteria added to the plastic is Bacillus subtilis, widely used as a food additive and a probiotic.
    Crucially, the bacteria has to be genetically engineered to be able to withstand the very high temperatures needed to make plastic…

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,868
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

I'm enjoying the Shakespeare quotes as thread headers groove we're in. Gives a sprinkle of class.

I must be cruel, only to be kind. Some people say Shakespeare is the be-all and the end-all of English literature but his spotless reputation is neither here nor there. All that glisters is not gold and you can have too much of a good thing. The truth will out: Shakespeare used too many clichés.
    Shakespeare invented the cliches… they have only become that by being quoted too frequently
    That’s a cliche.
    I am delighted to announce the morning thread contains yet another subtle Shakespeare reference.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,679

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

That’s a cliche.
    I am delighted to announce the morning thread contains yet another subtle Shakespeare reference.
    "I'd give real money if he'd shut up."

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,714

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

That’s a cliche.
    "I'd give real money if he'd shut up."

Titus Andronicus?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

That’s a cliche.
    Is it about the Tories poll ratings?

Bless thee, Bottom! Bless thee! Thou art translated.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

Check your figures.

Labour had a 26% lead in the final Deltapoll under Truss, it now has Labour only 20% ahead.

Gold standard Survation has the Tories on 26%, under Truss they were on just 23%. Opinium has the Tories on 25% compared to 23% too under Truss
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

That’s a cliche.
    This, …though it make the unskilful laugh, cannot but make the judicious grieve.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

Check your figures.

Labour had a 26% lead in the final Deltapoll under Truss, it now has Labour only 20% ahead.

Gold standard Survation has the Tories on 26%, under Truss they were on just 23%. Opinium has the Tories on 25% compared to 23% too under Truss
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
    Look at the share not the lead.

The Tory share is lower under Sunak than Truss with at least some pollsters.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,405

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

Check your figures.

Don't look at any of it with any view of it being correct Wait until the GE is called.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,082

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

That’s a cliche.
    Is it about the Tories poll ratings?

Bless thee, Bottom! Bless thee! Thou art translated.
    His reasons are as two grains of wheat hid in two bushels of chaff—you shall seek all day ere you find them, and when you have them they are not worth the search.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,734

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Tories so desperate to get any flight to Rwanda before elections that they just paid one person to volunteer.

An extortionate pre-election gimmick costing UK taxpayers half a billion pounds. Should be putting that money into boosting our border security
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,562

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Tories so desperate to get any flight to Rwanda before elections that they just paid one person to volunteer.

An extortionate pre-election gimmick costing UK taxpayers half a billion pounds. Should be putting that money into boosting our border security

Evidence?
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126
    edited April 30
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

Major only used the soapbox once as PM- at Luton South in 1992.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,501
    If the flights have started, that means the boats have stopped, right?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,082

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

What? An actual asylum seeker or just someone at the home office?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,999

Cookie said:

Ay, there's the rub.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,905

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Lol from the party with no answers.

Labour are terrified Rwanda might just work.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,345
    Carnyx said:

This will be a Brexit dividend right?

Importers have warned that plans for goods inspectors at the Brexit border to clock off at 7pm risk creating chaos.

Industry bosses have urged ministers to address the “crazy” situation, which will result in almost all checkpoints being shut overnight, amid fears it will affect fresh food supplies.

It will mean that trucks bringing produce into the country through southern ports, including Dover, will be redirected to a single processing facility in Kent.

The warning was issued as long-delayed post-Brexit border controls on large quantities of “medium risk” goods, including fresh food, finally came into force on Tuesday.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/30/chaos-warning-brexit-border-clock-off-7pm/

Which means we can consume more domestic produce. Excellent news for producers of British oranges, lemons and bananas.
    I'm not sure bananas, er, come from the EU, unless of course they are processed and distributed there.

But other things ...
    Errr:

French Guyana?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

That’s a cliche.
    More Willie-waving?
  • Options
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,082

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Apart from the list of answers they keep giving every time they’re asked, you mean?

Answers you may disagree with because they’re not “robust” enough for you but which are nonetheless answers. Just different ones.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,188

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

It may work for a while but Rwanda are not going to take the number the tory party need them to take for things to work....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I missed this somehow. I guess not every England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has been unveiled as a general election candidate for George Galloway's Workers Party of Britain.

Mr Panesar said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" in Parliament.

I thought that, but I suppose it could still be argued that the majority of Workers Party voters would be Muslim, given Galloway’s agenda. There’s a lot of Sikhs in Southwell, but would they necessarily vote for the workers Party?
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    legatus said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

Major only used the soapbox once as PM- at Luton South in 1992.
    He gave the impression of having met people outside the top decile who he treated as human beings though and not his servants or funny cartoon animals wearing clothes.
  • Options

@lizziedearden
    The difference is that with the previous country of origin schemes people just get £3,000 and travel paid for

With Rwanda, it's not people's country of origin so people get that plus same 5-year package of financial support, accommodation and more as given to forced deportees

The plan to "stop the boats" is to offer people who cross the channel £3,000 and 5 years financial support, accommodation and more.

Fucking genius!
  • Options
    eek said:

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

It may work for a while but Rwanda are not going to take the number the tory party need them to take for things to work....
    Why not?

All you need is an agreement to fund everyone, no ifs, no buts, no exceptions.

Then you don't need to send anyone.

See Nauru.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@lizziedearden
    The difference is that with the previous country of origin schemes people just get £3,000 and travel paid for

With Rwanda, it's not people's country of origin so people get that plus same 5-year package of financial support, accommodation and more as given to forced deportees

The plan to "stop the boats" is to offer people who cross the channel £3,000 and 5 years financial support, accommodation and more.

Fucking genius!

Hang on, so the choice is to dob oneself in and get £3K, or just cross fingers and not dob oneself in? Or have I got it wrong?
  • Options
    @lizziedearden
    So in summary, this is not "a Rwanda flight" or the scheme starting/taking off etc etc, and it has no link to the Safety of Rwanda Act or new treaty, which is all aimed at forcible deportations of small boat migrants whose claims the UK has refused to substantively consider
  • Options
    Netanyahu is promising that the Israeli army will invade Rafah and destroy the resistance and achieve total victory "with or without a deal". Great negotiating strategy for achieving the release of prisoners he's got there.
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I thought that, but I suppose it could still be argued that the majority of Workers Party voters would be Muslim, given Galloway’s agenda. There’s a lot of Sikhs in Southwell, but would they necessarily vote for the workers Party?
    If the Sikh vote is traditionally as Labour heavy as the Muslim vote purportedly is, then leaving any religious pandering Galloway might undertake a suitably radical left position may attract a decent chunk of it.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Netanyahu is promising that the Israeli army will invade Rafah and destroy the resistance and achieve total victory "with or without a deal". Great negotiating strategy for achieving the release of prisoners he's got there.

It doesn't sound like a ceasefire in the conventional usage of the term.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,639
    Donkeys said:

What would you have done.
  • Options
    edited April 30

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

She literally tells you what she plans to do with the money in that very tweet.
    There's none so blind as those that will not see.
  • Options
    I don’t fully get why Western media isn’t more interested in #TbilisiProtests when it’s an incredible opportunity to observe on live TV an existential trial of a nation and the molding of a democratic society. Doesn’t have to be clashes for a great story.<\i>
    https://twitter.com/Mikiashvili_M/status/1785016323367637086
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

How will boosting border security stop the boats? Unless they are prepared to tow back to France, or sink them?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,312
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Assume you mean Southall?
  • Options
    @Beyond_Topline
    Ooft. Labour candidate 14 pts ahead in the North Yorkshire race, apparently - 41% to 27%

This area voted Conservative by 30 pts at the last General election (55%-25% ish).

• Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

By 1992, Major has been doing the soapbox thing for... 30 years or so? You pick up the knack after a while.
    We go into the GE this year with the two most likely Prime Ministers having been in parliament for less than 20 years combined.

2019 - 47 years
    2017 - 54 years
    2015 - 25 years
    2010 - 36 years
    2005 - 44 years
    2001 - 30 years
    1997 - 32 years
    1992 - 35 years
    1987 - 45 years
    1983 - 57 years
    1979 - 54 years

Different eras entirely.
    Eh?

Davey has been an MP for a quarter century.

(Ducks)
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,638
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

We go into the GE this year with the two
    most likely Prime Ministers having been in parliament for less than 20 years combined.

2019 - 47 years
    2017 - 54 years
    2015 - 25 years
    2010 - 36 years
    2005 - 44 years
    2001 - 30 years
    1997 - 32 years
    1992 - 35 years
    1987 - 45 years
    1983 - 57 years
    1979 - 54 years

Different eras entirely.
    That's interesting.
    My first thought was: blimey, imagine having to do a job or work at the same place for 27 years before you get to the top!
    But people used to do that. That was what the world used to be like. The longest I have ever stayed in one place was 7 years. The longest I've ever been in one career was 10 years. It's a different era entirely.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

Check your figures.

I have heard rumblings, and taken representations, that TRUSS could stage an electrifying return. It would make sense, if your numbers are correct. No doubt other PBers will agree.
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

How will boosting border security stop the boats? Unless they are prepared to tow back to France, or sink them?
    I posted a response to a similar challenge this morning:

Labour's plan is quite clear, it is to cooperate with our neighbours, take a quota of asylum seekers in exchange for being able to return people who cross the Channel, spend more on asylum caseworkers to help clear the c.200k backlog of those awaiting an initial decision on their application.

I'd like to see them go further: e.g. allow/make asylum-seekers work to pay for their keep, encourage illegal immigrants to shop employers in return for a route to citizenship, introduce ID cards, tighten up legal immigration which of course swamps illegal by some margin. These and similar would fuel a right-wing media frenzy so I can't blame Labour for keeping them off the agenda at present.

Labour has a plan but you'd rather see this end-of-life Tory shambles spaff money up the wall on a scheme that is as unworkable as it is cruel. Half a £bn is it so far?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,031
    Interesting on Monty Panesar's political development - a sample from his book on this page.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monty-Panesar-Full/dp/1526754509/
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline
    Ooft. Labour candidate 14 pts ahead in the North Yorkshire race, apparently - 41% to 27%

This area voted Conservative by 30 pts at the last General election (55%-25% ish).

I think the most useful mayoral races will be the ones like this where there are no incumbents. Mayor's seem to benefit whatever their party if incumbent.
  • Options
    @drjennings
    📈The latest @SkyNews poll tracker puts Labour on a 21-point lead over the Conservatives, with the latter falling below 23%📉

Lab 43.8 (41-45)
    Con 22.9 (19-26)
    Reform 12.4 (8-14)
    Lib Dems 9.4 (8-11)
    Green 6.0 (3-9)
    SNP 3.1 (2-4)
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Yes the “no answers, no plan” stock line from Central Office is verging on the realms of farcical. I swear I heard some Tory quarterwit accuse Louise Haigh of having “no plan” the other day, when she was announcing an entire package of rail nationalisation.

Now, you might disagree with her plan, fair enough, you might think it flawed, you are entitled to that opinion. But a plan there is. If you don’t like the bloody plan, why not just say so rather than questioning its
    existence? Duh!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,738
    Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

That’s a rogue poll. Labour are not winning here.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

We go into the GE this year with the two
    most likely Prime Ministers having been in parliament for less than 20 years combined.

2019 - 47 years
    2017 - 54 years
    2015 - 25 years
    2010 - 36 years
    2005 - 44 years
    2001 - 30 years
    1997 - 32 years
    1992 - 35 years
    1987 - 45 years
    1983 - 57 years
    1979 - 54 years

Different eras entirely.
    That's interesting.
    My first thought was: blimey, imagine having to do a job or work at the same place for 27 years before you get to the top!
    But people used to do that. That was what the world used to be like. The longest I have ever stayed in one place was 7 years. The longest I've ever been in one career was 10 years. It's a different era entirely.
    I'd say that was why, whilst we have had plenty of PMs in their 40s before, there's definitely been a trend toward younger PMs in recent decades compared to the rest of the 20th century, except that even then the combined top two experience remained high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_age
  • Options
    STOP THE TRUSS

could be Sunak’s next big campaign.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,367
    edited April 30

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The psephologist David Butler used to pronounce Southall as "Suth-all" on election night shows in the 1970s. I'm not sure how many other people pronounced it like that back then.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,843
    Trump's opponent keeps messing up and giving him the advantage back
    in the current Snooker match
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

I think the most useful mayoral races will be the ones like this where there are no incumbents. Mayor's seem to benefit whatever their party if incumbent.
    It’s an interesting point. I think the metro mayors - of all parties - have been, by and large, pretty good. There haven’t been any calamities (Houchen TBC) and actually most have been reasonable figureheads for their cities. Khan gets slagged off on here, but he’s competent without ever being inspiring, and has a decent cv. I’m led to believe that Street in Birmingham is similar.
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Just words.
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

It's just rhetoric.

They have no answers.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Apart from the list of answers they keep giving every time they’re asked, you mean?

Answers you may disagree with because they’re not “robust” enough for you but which are nonetheless answers. Just different ones.
    They have a campaign slogan "we will do it better", "we will spend more", "we will boost this and that", "we will be more international" but it's just words.

They don't have any answers.
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Labour's plan is quite clear, it is to cooperate with our neighbours, take a quota of asylum seekers in exchange for being able to return people who cross the Channel, spend more on asylum caseworkers to help clear the c.200k backlog of those awaiting an initial decision on their application.

I'd like to see them go further: e.g. allow/make asylum-seekers work to pay for their keep, encourage illegal immigrants to shop employers in return for a route to citizenship, introduce ID cards, tighten up legal immigration which of course swamps illegal by some margin. These and similar would fuel a right-wing media frenzy so I can't blame Labour for keeping them off the agenda at present.

Labour has a plan but you'd rather see this end-of-life Tory shambles spaff money up the wall on a scheme that is as unworkable as it is cruel. Half a £bn is it so far?
    Rather depends on France agreeing though, surely. It’s pretty clear that the French would rather they cross to England.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,272
    Nigelb said:

Plastic-eating bacteria can help waste self-destruct

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68927816
    … By incorporating spores of plastic-eating bacteria they've developed a plastic that can self-destruct.
    The spores remain dormant during the useful lifetime of the plastic, but spring back to life and start to digest the product when exposed to nutrients in compost.

There's hope "we can mitigate plastic pollution in nature", said researcher Han Sol Kim, of the University of California San Diego, La Jolla.

And there might be an added advantage in that the spores increase the toughness of the plastic.
    "Our process makes the materials more rugged, so it extends its useful lifetime," said co-researcher, Jon Pokorski. "And then, when it's done, we're able to eliminate it from the environment, regardless of how it's disposed."
    The plastic is currently being worked on at the laboratory bench but could be in the real world within a few years, with the help of a manufacturer, he added.
    The type of bacteria added to the plastic is Bacillus subtilis, widely used as a food additive and a probiotic.
    Crucially, the bacteria has to be genetically engineered to be able to withstand the very high temperatures needed to make plastic…

"Why did they all die, N'glurgh?"
    "They genetically engineered a bacterium to survive very high temperatures, D'ingk. They passed thru their primitive autoclaves into every operating room. It took less than a year..."

The aliens look out on a deserted Earth...
  • Options
    edited April 30
    Today's WTF moment.

Civil lawyer Hugh Flemington, witness at the Post Office inquiry, says he isn't aware of what the criminal standard of proof is, and had to rely on Jarnail Singh, the criminal lawyer, to advise him on such matters.

Starting at 52 mins 53 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjSoelirctE

https://www.postofficescandal.uk/post/what-hugh-didnt-do/
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

It’s an interesting point. I think the metro mayors - of all parties - have been, by and large, pretty good. There haven’t been any calamities (Houchen TBC) and actually most have been reasonable figureheads for their cities. Khan gets slagged off on here, but he’s competent without ever being inspiring, and has a decent cv. I’m led to believe that Street in Birmingham is similar.
    The Bristol Mayor has seen his mayoralty abolished by referendum, but I don't know whether his personal performance played any role in that outcome or just general apathy towards such posts in many areas - I think Bristol were the only area that (narrowly) voted to have a mayor when referendums were held in 10 cities in 2012 (a bit embarrassing to the government as I recall), though the government then brought in a bunch regardless.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

The psephologist David Butler used to pronounce Southall as "Suth-all" on election night shows in the 1970s. I'm not sure how many other people pronounced it like that back then.
    Whereas Southwell in Nottinghamshire is
    pronounced Suth-ul. I wonder if he simply got mixed up?
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

It's just rhetoric.

They have no answers.
    The mistake, of everyone, is to think there is one Silver Bullet.

There isn't

There are lots of difference measures, which if implemented together, will have a meaningful impact on crossings.

You need:

- Better border security
    - Agreements with neighbours to help prevent people making the crossing
    - Agreements with countries to return people
    - Off-shore processing facilities
    - A severe clampdown on illegal working
    - Much faster processing of applications

But you can't just do one thing and expect it to have a massive effect. These people are economically rational, and you need to make it so the costs of refusal are high, that decisions are reached quickly, and that there is no black economy to disappear into.
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

You did, and it wasn't convincing then either.

Sunak is already investing to speed up and clear the asylum backlog and saying you'd cooperate more with neighbours is meaningless unless you say how. Taking a quota in exchange for a returns deal is the only bit of it that's worthy of serious consideration, but that's hardly stopping the boats and might just be pushing the food around the plate. He needs a policy to tackle the demand at source.

And the second part is all your ideas, and not theirs.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

Being able to feature in the local press week in, week out is a huge advantage. Its very difficult for an opponent to get anything like the same publicity.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,095
    HYUFD said:

mickydroy said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I'm sure he'd have no problem getting out there and shaking the hands of regular people.

So long as he could wipe his hands afterwards.

To be fair I get that impression about a lot of famous champions of the working class in history as well.
    What's all this guff about the soapbox, the right wing media did a hatchet job on the Labour leader, that was the reason Major won. The papers almost certainly don't have the power that they had in 92, but they will still go to town on Starmer, I'm sure that will narrow the polls.
    More Major was not Thatcher nor Kinnock won it for him in 1992 but the Tories could only stretch the elastic that far as 1997 showed
    That's one of your super astute @HYUFD posts.
    Major won by being a Tory who was definitely not Thatcher.
    Something her younger hagiographers don't appreciate.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

I don't think Sunak can save this, not even close, but it's still possible he can do a Dunkirk and get most of his troops off the beach to fight another day, as opposed to be annihilated.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,638
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

It's just rhetoric.

They have no answers.
    The mistake, of everyone, is to think there is one Silver Bullet.

There isn't

There are lots of difference measures, which if implemented together, will have a meaningful impact on crossings.

You need:

- Better border security
    - Agreements with neighbours to help prevent people making the crossing
    - Agreements with countries to return people
    - Off-shore processing facilities
    - A severe clampdown on illegal working
    - Much faster processing of applications

But you can't just do one thing and expect it to have a massive effect. These people are economically rational, and you need to make it so the costs of refusal are high, that decisions are reached quickly, and that there is no black economy to disappear into.
    I agree with you.
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't call the WP policies especially Muslim in flavour. They include

* referendum on Net Zero
    * referendum on NATO membership
    * 0% income tax up to £21K
    * stonking IHT on estates of >£10M
    * one secular Palestinian state

• Options
    Cookie said:
    I’m intrigued to know why they (assuming it was them) did it. Qui bono?
  • Options

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Rather depends on France agreeing though, surely. It’s pretty clear that the French would rather they cross to England.
    Prediction: SKS will agree to take a quota of asylum seekers from France, who in turn will only accept a tiny handful of returnees back.

And the boats will continue.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

The Bristol Mayor has seen his mayoralty abolished by referendum, but I don't know whether his personal performance played any role in that outcome or just general apathy towards such posts in many areas - I think Bristol were the only area that (narrowly) voted to have a mayor when referendums were held in 10 cities in 2012 (a bit embarrassing to the government as I recall), though the government then brought in a bunch regardless.
    Was the Bristol mayor a metro mayor though? I’m talking about those specifically. The borough mayors are a pointless exercise, and should be abolished. The metro mayoralties are a great idea and their powers should be enhanced - and the mayoralties named after the main city: Greater Birmingham, Greater Nottingham etc etc.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,594

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

I don't think Sunak can save this, not even close, but it's still possible he can do a Dunkirk and get most of his troops off the beach to fight another day, as opposed to be annihilated.
    An extinction event for the Conservatives was always an absolute crock. I don't believe the current polling. This will be borne out across the country on Friday morning.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,095
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

2019 - 47 years
    2017 - 54 years
    2015 - 25 years
    2010 - 36 years
    2005 - 44 years
    2001 - 30 years
    1997 - 32 years
    1992 - 35 years
    1987 - 45 years
    1983 - 57 years
    1979 - 54 years

Different eras entirely.
    Who's the other one?
  • Options
    edited April 30

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

No I went off piste and was anecdotally recalling the time I went to Southwell racecourse and saw a minibus full of turbaned men in the car park
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

Sir Peter Soulsby in Leicester fell out with a group of Labour councillors when they tried the same.

Nether were under serious threat otherwise.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,686

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Just words.
    I'll ask her to do one with pictures just for you.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,277

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Prediction: SKS will agree to take a quota of asylum seekers from France, who in turn will only accept a tiny handful of returnees back.

And the boats will continue.
    Or France will just say no to the whole scheme. I wonder if Labour have checked with them...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@lizziedearden

Fucking genius!

If they don’t fancy Rwanda I suppose they won’t come over though.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,686
    edited April 30
    For what it's worth, I think Labour will have a (relatively) disappointing set of results on Thursday, and the Tories will breathe a huge sigh of relief and go forward with a bit more optimism.

Then, when the GE comes, the Tories will get trounced as all the under-50s who don't bother coming out to vote in local or mayoral elections turn out and do their duty in putting the government out of their misery.
  • Options
    edited April 30
    I wonder if Elixaeyt
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

Sir Peter Soulsby in Leicester fell out with a group of Labour councillors when they tried the same.

Nether were under serious threat otherwise.
    Nor is he a metro mayor as far as I understand it. Isn’t he just a bog standard single-borough mayor? My post was specifically about the big city metro mayors.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

Was the Bristol mayor a metro mayor though? I’m talking about those specifically. The borough mayors are a pointless exercise, and should be abolished. The metro mayoralties are a great idea and their powers should be enhanced - and the mayoralties named after the main city: Greater Birmingham, Greater Nottingham etc etc.
    Ah yes. Well, Bristol at one point had three mayors - the Lord Mayor ceremonial position, the City 'Executive' Mayor, and the West of England Combined Authority Mayor, which includes BaNES and South Gloucestershire. Turns out the latter is some Labour chap I've never heard of.

I imagine they'd moan about calling it Greater Bristol, though it is what it is (I think others they wanted included did not agree to going in, which is part of the issue with these inconsistent devolution arrangements).

Gove came with a wheeze awhile back suggesting other areas could have elected leaders but not called mayors, such as governors. It didn't go down well even with some of the Conservative council Leaders
    https://www.lgcplus.com/politics/devolution-and-economic-growth/county-leaders-hit-back-at-goves-governor-notion-as-a-recipe-for-disaster-07-01-2022/
  • Options
    The PB Tories.

HAVE NO ANSWERS.

JUST WORDS.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,398

STOP THE TRUSS

I can’t believe we’re going to miss out on the Truss Bus travelling around the country in a GE campaign.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,277

STOP THE TRUSS

I can’t believe we’re going to miss out on the Truss Bus travelling around the country in a GE campaign.
    And the SNP motorhome. For shame.
  • Options
    edited April 30
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

Ah yes. Well, Bristol at one point had three mayors - the Lord Mayor ceremonial position, the City 'Executive' Mayor, and the West of England Combined Authority Mayor, which includes BaNES and South Gloucestershire. Turns out the latter is some Labour chap I've never heard of.

I imagine they'd moan about calling it Greater Bristol, though it is what it is (I think others they wanted included did not agree to going in, which is part of the issue with these inconsistent devolution arrangements).

Gove came with a wheeze awhile back suggesting other areas could have elected leaders but not called mayors, such as governors. It didn't go down well even with some of the Conservative council Leaders
    https://www.lgcplus.com/politics/devolution-and-economic-growth/county-leaders-hit-back-at-goves-governor-notion-as-a-recipe-for-disaster-07-01-2022/
    West of England Combined Authority Mayor

Is a laughably shite name.

They should be forced to call all of them after the main big city: Greater Bristol, Greater Newcastle, Greater Leeds, Greater Nottingham etc.

The fact that the Manchester and London metro mayoralties are the only ones actually named for the city is bizarre.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,910

Yvette Cooper
    @YvetteCooperMP

Just words.
    I'll ask her to do one with pictures just for you.
    And a dog for scale.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

They should be forced to call all of them after the main big city: Greater Bristol, Greater Newcastle, Greater Leeds, Greater Nottingham etc.

The fact that the Manchester and London metro mayoralties are the only ones actually named for the city is bizarre.
    Based on the university of the same name I assume. (Well, they might have changed the name since I last checked, which was quite a long time ago).
  • Options

STOP THE TRUSS

There is hope yet, William. I would question those that suggest the wheels have come off.

TRUSS
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

There is a growing trend of shitty generic parliamentary names as well. You have ones historically named after the main settlement for example, and when new ones are created you get a big moan from people about their name not being included, and because it's easier to concede on such a point the BCE ends with a bunch of boring ones like Wiltshire South West.

I'm not sure we want every seat to have super long names like in Scotland ('Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and Strathspey' anyone?), but seats named for their largest or a couple of the largest settlements are more interesting and more informative, since people referencing an area will refer to the major settlements or other features.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,768
    Scott_xP said:

@Beyond_Topline

One of those "sounds stupid, but..." races.

From Andrew Teale at Britain Elects,

That means we see the abolition of the North Yorkshire police and crime commissionership, which has been in Conservative hands since its creation in 2012. In May 2021 North Yorkshire elected a new PCC, Philip Allott, who polled 47% of the votes in the first round against 26% for Labour and 15% for independent candidate Keith Tordoff. Allott was forced to resign just five months later over insensitive comments about the Sarah Everard murder; the resulting by-election in November 2021 elected the Conservatives’ Zoë Metcalf with 40% against 21% for Labour and 17% for Tordoff.

https://medium.com/britainelects/previewing-the-2nd-may-2024-local-elections-part-ii-northern-england-and-english-midlands-bad3cafc8739

Take 2021 as the baseline, and a swing of 11 percent would do the job. A Conservative lead in the county and Labour lead in the city roughly cancel out. The other straw in the wind is the presence of Starmer and Reeves on the stump. In 2015, mapping where the leaders' battlebuses went (Dave et al to the far South West) was a decent clue as to where the real battleground was.

But whilst it probably wouldn't be surprising if it's marginal (city and shire pulling in opposite directions), it would be awks for Rishi.
This discussion has been closed.