Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I have bought golden opinions from all sorts of people – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Evening all :)

First, thanks to everyone for their kind words on my local election threads. Thursday is going to be interesting with Blackpool South, the mayoral contests and the PCC elections alongside the Council elections.

I'm wondering if YouGov will have a London Mayoral poll in the field - the last poll in 2021 showed Khan leading Bailey by 12 and in the end the margin was less than five. Hall needs a poll showing the race closing but Labour need to prevent complacency particularly in its Inner London heartland.

The projected NEV vote was Conservative 36%, Labour 29%, Liberal Democrat 17%. The YouGov immediately before had the Conservatives on 43%, Labour on 33% and the LDs on 7% . Thursday's NEV projection will be fascinating.

YouGov have just returned from the field;

YouGov’s latest poll ahead of the London mayoral election on Thursday shows Labour incumbent Sadiq Khan with a 22pt lead over Tory challenger Susan Hall.

Fieldwork was conducted among 1,192 adults in London on 24-30 April, with the vast majority of responses gathered on 24-27 April.

Currently, 47% of those saying they intend to vote in the London election say they will back Khan, compared to 25% for Hall.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49286-london-2024-mayoral-race-khan-47-hall-25

I guess the striking thing is that I doubt many will think that result is that striking.

First round in 2021 was Khan 40 Bailey 35.
    That would have to be such an order of magnitude wrong as to warrant YouGov being expelled from the BPC for Hall to win. It's barely any change since the last poll (Khan +1, Hall -2) and the fact Khan leads by 13 in Outer London (43-30) tells you all you need to know. The other damning statistic is 44% of Londoners have no opinion of Susan Hall - she had failed to make any impression in most of London.

In East Ham we've had two Labour leaflets and nothing from any of the other candidates.
    I'm impressed Labour even bother to put out leaflets in East Ham.
    They'll work it a bit this year, given how Respect did there in 2005, Galloway will target it. Not that he'll get close but WPB could take second
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Two posts from @Heathener:

1. "Rishi Sunak belongs to that old Indian businessman mentality of Master-Slave, spuriously justified on the basis of caste but really nothing more than dog-eats-dog.

It's profoundly un-British"
    ; and

2. "Archbishop John Sentamu once told me, laughing, that..."

Whatever she thinks they are I can tell her that they are profoundly un-PB.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,167

This will be a Brexit dividend right?

Importers have warned that plans for goods inspectors at the Brexit border to clock off at 7pm risk creating chaos.

Industry bosses have urged ministers to address the “crazy” situation, which will result in almost all checkpoints being shut overnight, amid fears it will affect fresh food supplies.

It will mean that trucks bringing produce into the country through southern ports, including Dover, will be redirected to a single processing facility in Kent.

The warning was issued as long-delayed post-Brexit border controls on large quantities of “medium risk” goods, including fresh food, finally came into force on Tuesday.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/30/chaos-warning-brexit-border-clock-off-7pm/

Oh, it exists all right.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/29/uk-new-border-controls-animal-plant-imports-brexit

'Earlier this month, the government published its rates for how much it would cost to send goods through the government-run Sevington inland border control post, the Kent facility that will process goods travelling through the Port of Dover and Channel tunnel. This common user charge (CUC) was set at £29 for each type of product, with a £145 cap for mixed consignments.

However, when added with the other additional costs around the new rules, such as the health certificates, port health costs and additional admin costs, it could be much more. The Cold Chain Federation recently calculated that sending five different products through Dover could cost a business £761 in extra costs for each load.

The body estimated that the new requirements could add £1bn a year in costs for those moving plant and animal products through Sevington alone.

Several of the other private border control posts have yet to publish their charges but would probably have similar fees to remain competitive.'

and also:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/29/ireland-reaps-700m-brexit-bonanza-from-customs-duties
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Omnium said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

Not first, surely.

I think the other 28 firsts were all on the previous thread. One of the longest overhangs I have seen.

For anyone following the Trump case, the Judge Merschan ruling re: contempt is only 8 pages, and worth a read or at least a skim:

https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/press/PDFs/D.O.motion4contempt-FINAL.pdf

It's very un-British to carry on posting on a thread when a New Thread has been announced.
    I suspect that there is an incredibly fervent discussion still going on on thread #1. Has anyone checked?
    I actually left it, had supper, came back to check, and someone was just applying the final coup de grace.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,131

Importers have warned that plans for goods inspectors at the Brexit border to clock off at 7pm risk creating chaos.

Industry bosses have urged ministers to address the “crazy” situation, which will result in almost all checkpoints being shut overnight, amid fears it will affect fresh food supplies.

It will mean that trucks bringing produce into the country through southern ports, including Dover, will be redirected to a single processing facility in Kent.

The warning was issued as long-delayed post-Brexit border controls on large quantities of “medium risk” goods, including fresh food, finally came into force on Tuesday.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/30/chaos-warning-brexit-border-clock-off-7pm/

It's almost like a Civil Servant was given the task of how could we most screw things up in a way that looks accidental and the joke entry was implemented.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    TOPPING said:

1. "Rishi Sunak belongs to that old Indian businessman mentality of Master-Slave, spuriously justified on the basis of caste but really nothing more than dog-eats-dog.

; and

As I posted on the previous thread 'are a shameful racist using disgusting tropes about brown people.'
  • Options
    edited April 30
    TOPPING said:

; and

But - ignoring any Indian stuff - aren't caste and master/slave profoundly British? Just look at HM Armed Forces, especially those closest to the Sovereign. Officers vs other ranks/ratings. Even if more people manage to scramble up through the hawse hole, or the stable loft hatch, then formerly.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,889
    Leon said:

Extraordinary remark about Sunak being “un-British” because of his Indian caste & master mentality

😶

I had to go back and check it was actually said. It was said. Is this the *kind of racism that is actually ok coz I’m on the left* racism?

Yes
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,582
    I'm enjoying the Shakespeare quotes as thread headers groove we're in. Gives a sprinkle of class.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,947
    Cookie said:

I'm enjoying the Shakespeare quotes as thread headers groove we're in. Gives a sprinkle of class.

Doesn't that need to be "clarse", to have perceived class?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,431
    Cookie said:

I’ll echo that with a Hey Nonny Nonny.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,036
    stodge said:

First, thanks to everyone for their kind words on my local election threads. Thursday is going to be interesting with Blackpool South, the mayoral contests and the PCC elections alongside the Council elections.

I'm wondering if YouGov will have a London Mayoral poll in the field - the last poll in 2021 showed Khan leading Bailey by 12 and in the end the margin was less than five. Hall needs a poll showing the race closing but Labour need to prevent complacency particularly in its Inner London heartland.

The projected NEV vote was Conservative 36%, Labour 29%, Liberal Democrat 17%. The YouGov immediately before had the Conservatives on 43%, Labour on 33% and the LDs on 7% . Thursday's NEV projection will be fascinating.

Given the results are very staggered, from Thursday night to Saturday afternoon, what chance that changing perceptions will lead to betting opportunities? Friday morning could easily look like runaway Labour success, so good time to lay Tory seats? By the end of the day, things might be looking rather better for the Tories with some good mayoral results: then cash in those lays?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Like me, Shakespeare is eminently quotable.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,586
    Taz said:

Cookie said:

I’ll echo that with a Hey Nonny Nonny.
    Yousaf hath had two coats, and everything handsome about him.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

; and

As I posted on the previous thread 'are a shameful racist using disgusting tropes about brown people.'
    Well, we have to watch out - otherwise they’ll be wearing loud shirts in built up areas, possessing offensive wives or steps on the cracks in the pavement.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sir Keir will fall apart under scrutiny in the campaign debates.

I think Madeley is quite a good interviewer, plenty don’t, but could the Labour leader look any more shifty and evasive here? The blinking, the Partridge smirk, the repetition. So evasive

https://youtu.be/CbnyjcYGw_M?si=5G_k2NaUauMjD72L

But he's up against Sunak. And Davey. And TBC from the SNP.

So he'll look like a titan.
    Personally I don’t think he will out perform Sunak in the debates.
    I think Sunak would do quite well in the debates: while he's been a poor leader, he's no idiot, and is used to thinking on his feet. He'll also do better in an environment where he just needs to calmly keep repeating a few talking points. And, of course, his dullness will work to his advantage: what great personal failing can be laid at Sunak's feet.

This, of course, depends on there being debates. With Starmer twenty points up, why would he risk them?
    Sunak was very poor in the Tory leadership hustings. Unlike Truss, who did a different version of her stump speech to each event, he stuck to his 3 stupid lines delivered in an oddly high pitched, patronising tone. 'Our Wimmin!' etc. I haven't really watched any of his Commons duels with Starmer, as I have paint drying that I'd prefer to watch, but I don't hear great things, and I don't see why GE debates will reveal any hitherto unseen form.
    Sticking to lines can work, but it's probably necessary to make more effort to superficially alter things now as people will hear about it more if you robotically stick to script.
    The play's the thing; stick to the script.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,711
    eek said:

It's almost like a Civil Servant was given the task of how could we most screw things up in a way that looks accidental and the joke entry was implemented.
    Thing is, it's stopping being funny.

OK, the UK had a bigger harder job to sort out its post-Brexit trade than our former EU partners. (Something something 27 something something 1 something something Dover something something Raab.)

But as a nation, we are the ones who decided to do this. Our inability to do it remotely competently is getting increasingly embarassing. One of my hopes for 2025 onwards is that a chunk of our current problems are due to the cost of having an idiot government, that could quickly be solved by having a less idiotic government.

I know, crazy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I missed this somehow. I guess not every England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has been unveiled as a general election candidate for George Galloway's Workers Party of Britain.

Mr Panesar said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" in Parliament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68929678

Yes, we did the spin doctor gag this morning.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

viewcode said:

"...He hath honour’d me of late; and I have bought
    Golden opinions from all sorts of people,
    Which would be worn now in their newest gloss,
    Not cast aside so soon..."

– William Shakespeare. Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 7.

Hurrah, somebody spotted my subtle Scottish play reference.
    I can see you, TSE. Can you see me? Oh, now be honest, TSE, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be? No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,998

viewcode said:

I can see you, TSE. Can you see me? Oh, now be honest, TSE, warrior to warrior. You do prefer it this way, don't you, as it was meant to be? No peace in our time. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends."
    ... Does this involve baby oil?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I missed this somehow. I guess not every England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has been unveiled as a general election candidate for George Galloway's Workers Party of Britain.

Mr Panesar said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" in Parliament.

I'll say it again, British Asians are the embodiment of the working classes.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

It's a reference which, no matter what we do, Sunil will cling on to.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530
    kle4 said:

If his politics is like his cricket, every day he turns up to parliament would be the same as his first, as Shane Warne didn’t quite say.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,644

One of my hopes for 2025 onwards is that a chunk of our current problems are due to the cost of having an idiot government, that could quickly be solved by having a less idiotic government.

I know, crazy.

Optimistic, at least.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,067

Cookie said:

We need classy headers to counteract today’s racist comments.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135

kle4 said:

Maybe so, but supporting the Worker's Party doesn't seem very working class to me. I've met a few workers in my time, you see.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    Looks like Sarwar is heading for FM anyway unless whoever replaces Yousaf sees a real surge in popularity
  • Options
    edited April 30
    The Sun reports the first immigrant has been relocated to Rwanda.
    Edit- under the voluntary scheme not the forced one
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,850
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Maybe so, but supporting the Worker's Party doesn't seem very working class to me. I've met a few workers in my time, you see.
    Good God man! What were you thinking!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I suspect his vote will mainly come from Muslim voters but we shall see
  • Options
    edited April 30

eek said:

OK, the UK had a bigger harder job to sort out its post-Brexit trade than our former EU partners. (Something something 27 something something 1 something something Dover something something Raab.)

But as a nation, we are the ones who decided to do this. Our inability to do it remotely competently is getting increasingly embarassing. One of my hopes for 2025 onwards is that a chunk of our current problems are due to the cost of having an idiot government, that could quickly be solved by having a less idiotic government.

I know, crazy.
    The problems are mainly due to having an idiot Civil Service, and more worryingly, in some cases a politicised, and racist Civil Service. E.G. the Home office.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,191
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

YouGov’s latest poll ahead of the London mayoral election on Thursday shows Labour incumbent Sadiq Khan with a 22pt lead over Tory challenger Susan Hall.

Fieldwork was conducted among 1,192 adults in London on 24-30 April, with the vast majority of responses gathered on 24-27 April.

Currently, 47% of those saying they intend to vote in the London election say they will back Khan, compared to 25% for Hall.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49286-london-2024-mayoral-race-khan-47-hall-25

I guess the striking thing is that I doubt many will think that result is that striking.

That would have to be such an order of magnitude wrong as to warrant YouGov being expelled from the BPC for Hall to win. It's barely any change since the last poll (Khan +1, Hall -2) and the fact Khan leads by 13 in Outer London (43-30) tells you all you need to know. The other damning statistic is 44% of Londoners have no opinion of Susan Hall - she had failed to make any impression in most of London.

In East Ham we've had two Labour leaflets and nothing from any of the other candidates.
    I'm impressed Labour even bother to put out leaflets in East Ham.
    At the general election it's the sort of place Gorgeous will be targeting.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209
    ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_VI:_The_Undiscovered_Country
  • Options

One of my hopes for 2025 onwards is that a chunk of our current problems are due to the cost of having an idiot government, that could quickly be solved by having a less idiotic government.

I know, crazy.

Optimistic, at least.
    The country is run, at the permanent post level, by people who would fit in at the Post Office.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,300

We paid him to get on the plane.

Not a single boat was stopped by this action...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Oh, it exists all right.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/29/uk-new-border-controls-animal-plant-imports-brexit

'Earlier this month, the government published its rates for how much it would cost to send goods through the government-run Sevington inland border control post, the Kent facility that will process goods travelling through the Port of Dover and Channel tunnel. This common user charge (CUC) was set at £29 for each type of product, with a £145 cap for mixed consignments.

However, when added with the other additional costs around the new rules, such as the health certificates, port health costs and additional admin costs, it could be much more. The Cold Chain Federation recently calculated that sending five different products through Dover could cost a business £761 in extra costs for each load.

The body estimated that the new requirements could add £1bn a year in costs for those moving plant and animal products through Sevington alone.

Several of the other private border control posts have yet to publish their charges but would probably have similar fees to remain competitive.'

and also:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/apr/29/ireland-reaps-700m-brexit-bonanza-from-customs-duties
    It's a stupid, stupid idea to have checks.

We should recognise the EU as having equivalent (not same) standards to us and just wave them through.

Not align, simply recognise equivalence.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 507

stodge said:

stodge said:

We've had stuff in Romford, though mostly of the "ANDREW ROSINDELL opposes Mayor Khan. (So vote Susan Hall or whether her name is.)" type.

The score for Havering and Redbridge last time was C46 L37. On these sorts of swings, bums in Margaret Thatcher House may be squeaking.
    I've had the same one from Rosindell, and 1 more specifically from Hall. Also 2 from Reform, one from Cox alone and one for all candidates. One from Labour from the Assembly candidate, nothing from Khan at all. No Green, LD or anyone else.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DougSeal said:

The SNP tried continuity Sturgeon once; are they really going to do it again? Their capacity to turn a winning hand into a losing one is quite, quite extraordinary.

Say what you like about the SNP but they’ve not done much losing in the last 15+ years
    Apart from the biggie, their raison d'être.

Cannot believe we are approaching the tenth anniversary of when Scotland rejected division, nationalism, and embraced unity.
    Yes, nearly a generation...
    The 25th anniversary of the new Scottish parliament in a month or so is going to be.... fun?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_VI:_The_Undiscovered_Country
    There was me thinking more the wrestling scene from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Love_(film)
  • Options

kle4 said:

TSE = Pound shop Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,943

Cookie said:

I must be cruel, only to be kind. Some people say Shakespeare is the be-all and the end-all of English literature but his spotless reputation is neither here nor there. All that glisters is not gold and you can have too much of a good thing. The truth will out: Shakespeare used too many clichés.
  • Options
    'NEW: “You will be part of the greatest comeback in political history”

What Rishi Sunak told Tory staff at a private event at CCHQ last night

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'
    https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1785355128381280726
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,529

Which means we can consume more domestic produce. Excellent news for producers of British oranges, lemons and bananas.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

Is Kilroy Silk relaunching Veritas?
  • Options

Which means we can consume more domestic produce. Excellent news for producers of British oranges, lemons and bananas.
    I'm not sure bananas, er, come from the EU, unless of course they are processed and distributed there.

But other things ...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Extraordinary remark about Sunak being “un-British” because of his Indian caste & master mentality

😶

I had to go back and check it was actually said. It was said. Is this the *kind of racism that is actually ok coz I’m on the left* racism?

It is not the first time either. Indians are joining Jews it seems as people it is entirely OK to be racist against if you're a leftie.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,196

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

All the signs say Kilroy was there

• Options
    Carnyx said:

I'm not sure bananas, er, come from the EU, unless of course they are processed and distributed there.

But other things ...
    Madeira.
  • Options

Leon said:

😶

It is not the first time either. Indians are joining Jews it seems as people it is entirely OK to be racist against if you're a leftie.
    There was an article in the Guardian , a while back, that argued that British Hindus were too successful (and conservative) to be Proper Minority.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

But other things ...
    Madeira.
    Ah, thanks. That's today's thing learnt on PB.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

But other things ...
    Madeira.
    Madeira fruit, madeira meat, madeira cheese, my shopping’s going to be deira.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,191
    HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

I'll believe that if the Tories win the London mayoralty.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,196

Carnyx said:

But other things ...
    Madeira.
    Got to worry about cake now

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

It’s not a racial slur, it’s the truth. Sunak belongs to that old school Indian businessman mentality of Master-slave. Indian societies are full of it and when it is accompanied by large dollops of money it soon translates from caste justification to dog-eats-dog.

It’s deeply unpleasant and profoundly un-British.

It might work in Singapore but not here, thanks. Not on this nation’s watch.

When in a hole, luv.
    I mean, calling a woman ‘luv’ … and you think what I posted reflected badly on me?! You don’t really go around saying that kind of thing to women these days and expect to be taken seriously. Amongst some of my friends you’d probably be emasculated.

For what it’s worth I also think Enoch Powell was profoundly un-British. Another highly divisive politician who didn’t comprehend the essential fabric of this nation.

I’m no fan of the British Empire but having conquered our way around the world, this country, unlike say France, embraced cultural difference, welcoming peoples to our shores and enabling a rich diversity to emerge: a kaleidoscope which had a social conscience. It’s that caring and accepting core which has been a hallmark of this country. It’s diametrically opposed to the nasty, uncaring, Singaporean type model that Rishi Sunak would like to inject into this country in his Dystopian vision.

So f*ck him.

I got called "darling" by a woman in a shop the other day. Wasn't bothered. Nor are most other people.
    During the Indyref & Brexit campaigns I watched quite a few 1970s 'EC' debates and a few other related shows. There are quite a few with Enoch. It kinda saddened me that the sort of thoughtful debate style has pretty much disappeared from our screens now - even with people who deeply disagreed with each other.

This round table discussion with Powell, Dennis Skinner, Margaret Ewing for instance. Seems unthinkable now outside of three minutes of shouting and finger pointing followed by some gurning analysis by pundits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82CmJlf-Deg (part 1)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo2U-68EgMo (part 2)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

We paid him to get on the plane.

Not a single boat was stopped by this action...
    This is the way to get asylum seekers to Rwanda - pay them each the £150k or whatever it's going to cost to go there voluntarily.

Not sure it would stop the boats mind: "Come to the UK illegally and we'll give you £150k to set yourself up for life somewhere a lot cheaper than the Britain".
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

But other things ...
    Madeira.
    Got to worry about cake now

It will be more difficult for Sherry and Madeira to enter via British Ports.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,209

kle4 said:

Unless you think the working classes are actual ghosts, you may have used the wrong word there... 😀
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

It’s not a racial slur, it’s the truth. Sunak belongs to that old school Indian businessman mentality of Master-slave. Indian societies are full of it and when it is accompanied by large dollops of money it soon translates from caste justification to dog-eats-dog.

When in a hole, luv.
    I mean, calling a woman ‘luv’ … and you think what I posted reflected badly on me?! You don’t really go around saying that kind of thing to women these days and expect to be taken seriously. Amongst some of my friends you’d probably be emasculated.

For what it’s worth I also think Enoch Powell was profoundly un-British. Another highly divisive politician who didn’t comprehend the essential fabric of this nation.

I’m no fan of the British Empire but having conquered our way around the world, this country, unlike say France, embraced cultural difference, welcoming peoples to our shores and enabling a rich diversity to emerge: a kaleidoscope which had a social conscience. It’s that caring and accepting core which has been a hallmark of this country. It’s diametrically opposed to the nasty, uncaring, Singaporean type model that Rishi Sunak would like to inject into this country in his Dystopian vision.

So f*ck him.

I got called "darling" by a woman in a shop the other day. Wasn't bothered. Nor are most other people.
    During the Indyref & Brexit campaigns I watched quite a few 1970s 'EC' debates and a few other related shows. There are quite a few with Enoch. It kinda saddened me that the sort of thoughtful debate style has pretty much disappeared from our screens now - even with people who deeply disagreed with each other.

This round table discussion with Powell, Dennis Skinner, Margaret Ewing for instance. Seems unthinkable now outside of three minutes of shouting and finger pointing followed by some gurning analysis by pundits.

Blame the media, who think we want to watch a political version of Eastenders.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,324
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

He himself is a Sikh, though
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

He might have been inspired by reading the PB posts of Isam, William Glenn, Taz, Moon Rabbit and others.

It's PB wot won it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

He will also attract the vote of those that don't like nightclub bouncers...

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/england-cricketer-monty-panesar-sorry-for-urinating-on-bouncers-after-being-kicked-out-of-brighton-nightclub-8749487.html

• Options

ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

When in a hole, luv.

So f*ck him.

If only that was the end of it.

The media seems to think we want to hear the opinions of people on Twitter about what they saw on a political version of Eastenders.
  • Options

eek said:

I know, crazy.
    The problems are mainly due to having an idiot Civil Service, and more worryingly, in some cases a politicised, and racist Civil Service. E.G. the Home office.
    All too easy to blame crass stupidity on the Civil Service; nothing to do with the Government, oh no.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689

DougSeal said:

The SNP tried continuity Sturgeon once; are they really going to do it again? Their capacity to turn a winning hand into a losing one is quite, quite extraordinary.

Say what you like about the SNP but they’ve not done much losing in the last 15+ years
    Losing two leaders in as many years isn't great.
    Rather better than the Tories who lost two in as many months in 2022.
    The Tories are hardly the yardstick of success.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

kle4 said:

I missed this somehow. I guess not ever England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Yep, Monty for Ealing
    You mean Monty’s, Ealing’s famous curry house?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,582
    MattW said:

@Cookie

Can I pick up your "High Peak the back of beyond" point, without rummaging through the entire previous thread?

Derbyshire can be a little deceptive, in that the County Council is run from Matlock which is central.

Nottinghamshire is run from West Bridgford - which is close to the Southern border, and 30+ miles from say Worksop at the Northern end, so somewhat different.

Taking the whole East Midlands Government region, Nottingham-Derby-Leicester is close to the centre of gravity. Lincs may complain, but NDL is something like 1.5 million people. By comparison Mansfield-Sutton-Worksop-Chesterfield is perhaps 500k-700k.

For the N2D2 area, I am not sure where the new Mayoralty will be based. Notts CC is setting up a centre at the Northern end of Hucknall, in Ashfield. I am not sure what is happening to County Hall, in West Bridgford, or how much will be left there.

Do you know where the N2D2 Mayor will be based? I can't nail it down, so I am assuming it will be quite distributed. But then, at present a lot is up in the air.

No, I don't know.

I grant you Derbyshire is run from Matlock, but that's kind of making the best of the situation you've been given. If you were going for administrative-units-based-on-economic-geography, Derbyshire wouldn't be it. Now. I have no onjection whatsoever to administrative-units-based-on-ancient-history. But the East Midlands Combined Authority is neither one thing nor the other. And wherever it's based, it's centre of gravity will be roughly Kimberley, and a long long way from New Mills and Glossop.

I don't feel particularly strongly that local government should reflect economic geography. But this one seems odd to me. Neither ancient nor modern.

Actually, more than local government that makes sense, what I really want is sub-national units which I can have a reasonable expectation of remaining untinkered with for a few hundred years. They don't even have to correspond to local government, about which few people have strong emotional bonds anyway. I just want to be able to ask a question like 'where is Sedbergh?' and get a clear answer without any sort of qualification; or be able to ask 'how many teams from Cheshire have there ever been in the football league' without having to add a long explanation of what I mean by Cheshire.
    I'm not even averse to starting again from scratch. But only once every few hundred years.
  • Options
    edited April 30

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

He might have been inspired by reading the PB posts of Isam, William Glenn, Taz, Moon Rabbit and others.

It's PB wot won it.
    Rishi does at least have nothing to lose, Starmer however is such an overwhelming favourite the pressure is on him.

It could be another 2017 or 1992 if Rishi really does a Major 1992 soapbox on the campaign and Starmer is no Blair or even Corbyn in terms of charismatic oratory and being able to inspire his supporters (indeed in that respect Starmer is the Labour Theresa May, odds on favourite by far and huge poll lead heading into the campaign but not a natural campaigner despite being serious and intelligent).

I still expect Labour to win but I think the campaign will narrow the gap
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

When in a hole, luv.

So f*ck him.

The media seems to think we want to hear the opinions of people on Twitter about what they saw on a political version of Eastenders.
    The media think we want to hear people’s opinions of their own Twitter comments.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

I see that comment as a sign of growth - it acknowledges they are in an epically bad position right now.
  • Options
    eek said:

It is of course axiomatic in the Brexit debate that every piece of news is AWFUL FOR BREXIT BRITAIN.

Our goods held up at Calais - DISASTER FOR BRITISH EXPORTERS. European goods held up at Dover - DISASTER FOR BRITISH CONSUMERS. Trade deal for cheap Australian beef - DISASTER FOR BRITISH FARMERS. Tidal wave of Aussie beef fails to materialise - DISASTER FOR HUNGRY BRITS.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.
    Rishi does at least have nothing to lose, Starmer however is such an overwhelming favourite the pressure is on him.

It could be another 2017 or 1992 if Rishi really does a Major 1992 soapbox on the campaign and Starmer is no Blair or even Corbyn in terms of charismatic oratory and being able to inspire his supporters (indeed in that respect Starmer is the Labour Theresa May, odds on favourite by far and huge poll lead heading into the campaign but not a natural campaigner despite being serious and intelligent).

Sunak is also no John Major. The soapbox worked because he had the common touch and the ability to work a crowd. Can you imagine Sunak let loose among ordinary people?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/england-cricketer-monty-panesar-sorry-for-urinating-on-bouncers-after-being-kicked-out-of-brighton-nightclub-8749487.html

He's moved from giving the piss to taking it.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

When in a hole, luv.

So f*ck him.

The media think we want to hear people’s opinions of their own Twitter comments.
    And, thinking about the population as a whole, they may be right. Yes, there's a market for thoughtful, considered deep dive conversations, but there doesn't seem to a a commercially viable market for it. Newspapers don't do it, few magazines do. See what has happened to the Super Soaraway Spectator. It's not surprising that TV and radio have mostly run away from it.

And social media roundups are much cheaper as a way of filling airtime.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

Sunak is also no John Major. The soapbox worked because he had the common touch and the ability to work a crowd. Can you imagine Sunak let loose among ordinary people?
    I'm sure he'd have no problem getting out there and shaking the hands of regular people.

So long as he could wipe his hands afterwards.

To be fair I get that impression about a lot of famous champions of the working class in history as well.
  • Options
    edited April 30
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

Though to be fair Sr Keir has even less common touch than Neil Kinnock did too.

As John Curtice said all 3 main UK parties have dull party leaders for the first time in the post WW2 era, perhaps the SNP joining the club with the bank manager like Swinney. Even when Heath faced Wilson there was at least the great oratory of Jo Grimond or the charismatic, if flawed, Jeremy Thorpe as Liberal leaders to liven things up.
  • Options
    edited April 30
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

If Rishi stands on a soapbox it will have a sub-optimal and wholly comedic effect compared to Major, although I hated the soapbox idea at the time of the 1992 election.

Starmer has a distinct advantage over Kinnock. He's not Welsh.
  • Options
    edited April 30

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan

It's PB wot won it.

If Rishi stands on a soapbox it will have an sub-optimal and wholly comedic effect compared to Major, although I hated the soapbox idea at the time of the 1992 election.

Or a windbag?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,032
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can imagine it very well, and have laid in stocks of popcorn to sustain me.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,736
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I agree the gap will narrow, and a very populist campaign will do Labour quite a bit of damage. Being realistic, and as one that wants the Tories to lose, adding 123 seats to the 2019 Labour total of 202 remains a massive hurdle to jump. Thankfully the Tories lose control of things if they lose only 60 seats or perhaps fewer, and this will, I think, happen. But this would be a bit of a mess.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

You can be very drily amusing when you try.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

As John Curtice said all 3 main UK parties have dull party leaders for the first time in the post WW2 era, perhaps the SNP joining the club with the bank manager like Swinney. Even when Heath faced Wilson there was at least the great oratory of Jo Grimond or the charismatic, if flawed, Jeremy Thorpe as Liberal leaders to liven things up.
    Don’t worry! The SNP want to elect Swinney to make the others seem charismatic.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

They're not actually going to, are they?

I mean, a caretaker for a proper contest is one thing, but not for good and all? Surely?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

To pee or not to pee...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

If Rishi stands on a soapbox it will have an sub-optimal and wholly comedic effect compared to Major, although I hated the soapbox idea at the time of the 1992 election.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

Or a windbag?
    Keir has a rather nasally voice to my ear, and I've not stumbled across any memorable oration from him, but a hard to define quality of at least appearing sound and sensible can be useful.

If he wanted to, he could get away with some quite radical things.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

To pee or not to pee...
    Though he paint it an inch thick, to this favour must he come.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

By 1992, Major has been doing the soapbox thing for... 30 years or so? You pick up the knack after a while.
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 223

Carnyx said:

But other things ...
    Madeira.
    And the Canaries. And all those places like Martinique which are part of mainland France in the eyes of God.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

They're not actually going to, are they?

I mean, a caretaker for a proper contest is one thing, but not for good and all? Surely?
    The continuity lot want Swinney for leader until after the 2026 Holyrood election. It allows them another couple of years government courtesy of their little Green helpers.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I didn't get the soapbox or the Coldharbour Road film, almost everyone else loved it.

Anyway let's hope Starmer's Sheffield Rally runs better than Kinnock's. "Alright! It's great to be back in Sheffield, alright!"
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Cookie said:

I must be cruel, only to be kind. Some people say Shakespeare is the be-all and the end-all of English literature but his spotless reputation is neither here nor there. All that glisters is not gold and you can have too much of a good thing. The truth will out: Shakespeare used too many clichés.
    Shakespeare invented the cliches… they have only become that by being quoted too frequently
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I can actually.

Given his diminutive size, Sunak is a master at the sport of limbo.

He's managed to limbo his way to getting opinion polls worse than Liz Truss achieved.

After an election campaign of Sunak let loose among ordinary people he might manage to limbo to below the 8.8% for the Tories that May achieved in 2019.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,753
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

@Cookie

Can I pick up your "High Peak the back of beyond" point, without rummaging through the entire previous thread?

Derbyshire can be a little deceptive, in that the County Council is run from Matlock which is central.

Nottinghamshire is run from West Bridgford - which is close to the Southern border, and 30+ miles from say Worksop at the Northern end, so somewhat different.

Taking the whole East Midlands Government region, Nottingham-Derby-Leicester is close to the centre of gravity. Lincs may complain, but NDL is something like 1.5 million people. By comparison Mansfield-Sutton-Worksop-Chesterfield is perhaps 500k-700k.

For the N2D2 area, I am not sure where the new Mayoralty will be based. Notts CC is setting up a centre at the Northern end of Hucknall, in Ashfield. I am not sure what is happening to County Hall, in West Bridgford, or how much will be left there.

Do you know where the N2D2 Mayor will be based? I can't nail it down, so I am assuming it will be quite distributed. But then, at present a lot is up in the air.

No, I don't know.

I grant you Derbyshire is run from Matlock, but that's kind of making the best of the situation you've been given. If you were going for administrative-units-based-on-economic-geography, Derbyshire wouldn't be it. Now. I have no onjection whatsoever to administrative-units-based-on-ancient-history. But the East Midlands Combined Authority is neither one thing nor the other. And wherever it's based, it's centre of gravity will be roughly Kimberley, and a long long way from New Mills and Glossop.

I don't feel particularly strongly that local government should reflect economic geography. But this one seems odd to me. Neither ancient nor modern.

Actually, more than local government that makes sense, what I really want is sub-national units which I can have a reasonable expectation of remaining untinkered with for a few hundred years. They don't even have to correspond to local government, about which few people have strong emotional bonds anyway. I just want to be able to ask a question like 'where is Sedbergh?' and get a clear answer without any sort of qualification; or be able to ask 'how many teams from Cheshire have there ever been in the football league' without having to add a long explanation of what I mean by Cheshire.
    I'm not even averse to starting again from scratch. But only once every few hundred years.
    East Midlands Combined Authority = Emicoma

Possibly pronounced "E-me-co-ma"?

Or "Em-E-co-ma" IF you Emicomites (or Emicomanians? wish. Ask around!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Carnyx said:

But other things ...
    Madeira.

Madeira fruit, madeira meat, madeira cheese, my shopping’s going to be deira.
    ‘Ave some Madeira, m’dear
  • Options

eek said:

It is of course axiomatic in the Brexit debate that every piece of news is AWFUL FOR BREXIT BRITAIN.

You have that THE WRONG WAY ROUND.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

To pee or not to pee...
    Monster, I do smell all horse piss, at which my nose is in great indignation.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,947
    geoffw said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

All the signs say Kilroy was there

A relaunch would not be allowed; he is a year older than Jo Biden.

But it does remind me of Miss Eclectech's animation / song -

Veritas, Veritas - the Party for the Vain and Crass

I can't find it, so I'll have to link to "Hey, Mr Tangerine Man - Go back on TV.", which is quite gentle, and rather long at 4 minutes, for 2024.

https://eclectech.co.uk/nonsense/kilroysilktangerine
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 242
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

With
    @EllenAMilligan
    >>'

It's PB wot won it.

I'm sure he'd have no problem getting out there and shaking the hands of regular people.

So long as he could wipe his hands afterwards.

To be fair I get that impression about a lot of famous champions of the working class in history as well.
    What's all this guff about the soapbox, the right wing media did a hatchet job on the Labour leader, that was the reason Major won. The papers almost certainly don't have the power that they had in 92, but they will still go to town on Starmer, I'm sure that will narrow the polls.
This discussion has been closed.