Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I have bought golden opinions from all sorts of people – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,727
edited May 12 in General
I have bought golden opinions from all sorts of people – politicalbetting.com

Humza Yousaf resigned today ahead of a no-confidence vote – our new poll* shows that had it come to a vote, Scots wanted to see him removed by 55% to 24%Even 2019 SNP voters were split 41%-40% on whether Yousaf should be kept or removed*fieldwork conducted 26-29 Apr, all… pic.twitter.com/UdSCDgh5pv

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,552
    Not first, surely.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,587
    Second!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Second!

Yes true. But only second. I, meanwhile, was first.

My second ever first on PB. Oh happy days.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,190
    "...He hath honour’d me of late; and I have bought
    Golden opinions from all sorts of people,
    Which would be worn now in their newest gloss,
    Not cast aside so soon..."

– William Shakespeare. Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 7.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728
    viewcode said:

Hurrah, somebody spotted my subtle Scottish play reference.
  • Options

viewcode said:

It was very subtle. As subtle as a subtle thing that went to Subtle College, Oxford. :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Can a successor turn things around? Depends on how much of the SNP's troubles are related to his specific choices vs other matters.

Although the Westminster seats can shift pretty dramatically on not very big changes, since quite a few seats are pretty close, the SNP are fortunate there remains a big independence vote that, so far, Alba have not been able to tap into.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@ProjectLincoln

Starting Topics:
    1. Judge Merchan has found Trump in contempt for 9 violations of the gag order in his election interference trial, fining him $1,000 each. He's also been threatened with jail time if he violates the order again. Trump has now violated his pretrial release conditions in all 4 of his criminal cases. He's testing the limits of the court and judicial system because he has no respect for the rule of law. None of this will matter to his supporters in the Republican Party who now view the rule of law as nothing but a speed bump in their path to absolute power.

2. In a new @Time interview, Trump lays out the most brazen, disturbing picture of what a second Trump term would look like yet. He tells Time he would “let red states monitor women’s pregnancies and prosecute those who violate abortion bans." When asked if he will pardon every one of the J6 insurrectionists, "absolutely yes." Nothing about Trump is normal and no one should think that he and President Biden are similar candidates. Biden respects the rule of law, individual rights, and democracy. Trump wants to make himself a dictator and destroy America by turning it into a fascist nation.

3. Trump's ongoing criminal trial continues to highlight his weaknesses on a national stage, and he can't slow it any longer. He tried to delay it but now everyone knows about his indiscretions, and his wife hates him. He's humiliated his family, and is sitting in cold courtrooms alone. His dementia is on full display, as he can barely stay awake in the middle of his own trial proceedings. Trump falls asleep in the courtroom because he stays up all night dejected, afraid and all alone. Try as he might, the only person to blame is Donald Trump.

The judge's comments on the finding of contempt were quite pointed, in essentially stating it's unfortunate $1000 is the maximum rather than something which might be proportionate to the wealth of a particular defendant, noting that the former is not much of a punishment for some. So it is $1000 per violation or jail, but he wishes he had more options.

I know he threatened Trump with jail in the Order, but will he dare do it? Because Trump will violate again, no question.
  • Options

viewcode said:

If you're trying to educate some of us it's not working, I'd pick up on a Pratchett quote more.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Second!

Yes true. But only second. I, meanwhile, was first.

My second ever first on PB. Oh happy days.
    Not however my first ever second.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Rishi and James Cleverly do pressups in Downing St garden while being molested by his dog

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6YTBZ6MDjj/

Serious bit of male bonding going on there between Sunak and Cleverly.
    I expect them to move on to a re-enactment of the famous scene between Oliver Reed and Alan Bates in Women in Love next.
    Saucy.

Cleverly should watch out, Rishi gave no kind favours to the last bonding relationship he had.

• Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 208
    Simon Harris dismantling the Mount Street shanty town or so he claims.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,100
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@ProjectLincoln

Starting Topics:
    1. Judge Merchan has found Trump in contempt for 9 violations of the gag order in his election interference trial, fining him $1,000 each. He's also been threatened with jail time if he violates the order again. Trump has now violated his pretrial release conditions in all 4 of his criminal cases. He's testing the limits of the court and judicial system because he has no respect for the rule of law. None of this will matter to his supporters in the Republican Party who now view the rule of law as nothing but a speed bump in their path to absolute power.

2. In a new @Time interview, Trump lays out the most brazen, disturbing picture of what a second Trump term would look like yet. He tells Time he would “let red states monitor women’s pregnancies and prosecute those who violate abortion bans." When asked if he will pardon every one of the J6 insurrectionists, "absolutely yes." Nothing about Trump is normal and no one should think that he and President Biden are similar candidates. Biden respects the rule of law, individual rights, and democracy. Trump wants to make himself a dictator and destroy America by turning it into a fascist nation.

3. Trump's ongoing criminal trial continues to highlight his weaknesses on a national stage, and he can't slow it any longer. He tried to delay it but now everyone knows about his indiscretions, and his wife hates him. He's humiliated his family, and is sitting in cold courtrooms alone. His dementia is on full display, as he can barely stay awake in the middle of his own trial proceedings. Trump falls asleep in the courtroom because he stays up all night dejected, afraid and all alone. Try as he might, the only person to blame is Donald Trump.

The judge's comments on the finding of contempt were quite pointed, in essentially stating it's unfortunate $1000 is the maximum rather than something which might be proportionate to the wealth of a particular defendant, noting that the former is not much of a punishment for some. So it is $1000 per violation or jail, but he wishes he had more options.

I know he threatened Trump with jail in the Order, but will he dare do it? Because Trump will violate again, no question.
    Trump is likely to violate things again in the next 90 or so minutes by not removing the posts...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,418
    megasaur said:

Done before. They returned.

The Irish govt need to process them, accept them, and find them somewhere to live if they want to solve it.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,683
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

It was very subtle. As subtle as a subtle thing that went to Subtle College, Oxford. :)
    So not very subtle at all, then?

Subtle College Cambridge, on the other hand...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

So not very subtle at all, then?

Subtle College Cambridge, on the other hand...
    … is where they think that greeting you with товарищ is subtle.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    edited April 30
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Admits no orifex for a point as subtle. As Ariachne's broken woof to enter.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sir Keir will fall apart under scrutiny in the campaign debates.

I think Madeley is quite a good interviewer, plenty don’t, but could the Labour leader look any more shifty and evasive here? The blinking, the Partridge smirk, the repetition. So evasive

https://youtu.be/CbnyjcYGw_M?si=5G_k2NaUauMjD72L

But he's up against Sunak. And Davey. And TBC from the SNP.

So he'll look like a titan.
    Personally I don’t think he will out perform Sunak in the debates.
    I think Sunak would do quite well in the debates: while he's been a poor leader, he's no idiot, and is used to thinking on his feet. He'll also do better in an environment where he just needs to calmly keep repeating a few talking points. And, of course, his dullness will work to his advantage: what great personal failing can be laid at Sunak's feet.

This, of course, depends on there being debates. With Starmer twenty points up, why would he risk them?
    Sunak was very poor in the Tory leadership hustings. Unlike Truss, who did a different version of her stump speech to each event, he stuck to his 3 stupid lines delivered in an oddly high pitched, patronising tone. 'Our Wimmin!' etc. I haven't really watched any of his Commons duels with Starmer, as I have paint drying that I'd prefer to watch, but I don't hear great things, and I don't see why GE debates will reveal any hitherto unseen form.
    Sticking to lines can work, but it's probably necessary to make more effort to superficially alter things now as people will hear about it more if you robotically stick to script.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    Taz said:

megasaur said:

Done before. They returned.

The Irish govt need to process them, accept them, and find them somewhere to live if they want to solve it.
    Apparently the Irish are to employ 100 border guards on a non existing border

https://www.northernsound.ie/news/extra-gardai-set-to-police-border-region-over-immigration-234826

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    edited April 30
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

I think Madeley is quite a good interviewer, plenty don’t, but could the Labour leader look any more shifty and evasive here? The blinking, the Partridge smirk, the repetition. So evasive

I think Sunak would do quite well in the debates: while he's been a poor leader, he's no idiot, and is used to thinking on his feet. He'll also do better in an environment where he just needs to calmly keep repeating a few talking points. And, of course, his dullness will work to his advantage: what great personal failing can be laid at Sunak's feet.

This, of course, depends on there being debates. With Starmer twenty points up, why would he risk them?
    Sunak was very poor in the Tory leadership hustings. Unlike Truss, who did a different version of her stump speech to each event, he stuck to his 3 stupid lines delivered in an oddly high pitched, patronising tone. 'Our Wimmin!' etc. I haven't really watched any of his Commons duels with Starmer, as I have paint drying that I'd prefer to watch, but I don't hear great things, and I don't see why GE debates will reveal any hitherto unseen form.
    Sticking to lines can work, but it's probably necessary to make more effort to superficially alter things now as people will hear about it more if you robotically stick to script.
    I still have some mad faith that he'll make a dignified exit and give us Penny.

If she offers him ambassador to the US would he take it? Starmer isn't going to give him a nice job. Granted he doesn't need one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Updating the script ought to be fixable- he has minions for that, all politicians do.

Sunak's job is to stay sober (easy) stand up straight (fine) and say the lines he's been given calmly and authoritatively.

Last one is where he's weak and doesn't have long to improve. What are the odds on a seriously tetchy meltdown? Think Bigotgate, only on stage?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,716
    Barnesian said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Admits no orifex for a point as subtle. As Ariachne's broken woof to enter.
    Troilus and Cressida.

The Scottish play has but one use of the word 'subtle':

Macbeth:
    Ay, in the catalogue you go for men,
    As hounds and greyhounds, mongrels, spaniels,
    curs,
    Shoughs, water-rugs, and demi-wolves are clept
    All by the name of dogs. The valued file
    Distinguishes the swift, the slow, the subtle,
    The housekeeper, the hunter, every one
    According to the gift which bounteous nature
    Hath in him closed; whereby he does receive
    Particular addition, from the bill
    That writes them all alike.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,428
    edited April 30
    TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

It’s not a racial slur, it’s the truth. Sunak belongs to that old school Indian businessman mentality of Master-slave. Indian societies are full of it and when it is accompanied by large dollops of money it soon translates from caste justification to dog-eats-dog.

It’s deeply unpleasant and profoundly un-British.

It might work in Singapore but not here, thanks. Not on this nation’s watch.

When in a hole, luv.
    I mean, calling a woman ‘luv’ … and you think what I posted reflected badly on me?! You don’t really go around saying that kind of thing to women these days and expect to be taken seriously. Amongst some of my friends you’d probably be emasculated.

For what it’s worth I also think Enoch Powell was profoundly un-British. Another highly divisive politician who didn’t comprehend the essential fabric of this nation.

I’m no fan of the British Empire but having conquered our way around the world, this country, unlike say France, embraced cultural difference, welcoming peoples to our shores and enabling a rich diversity to emerge: a kaleidoscope which had a social conscience. It’s that caring and accepting core which has been a hallmark of this country. It’s diametrically opposed to the nasty, uncaring, Singaporean type model that Rishi Sunak would like to inject into this country in his Dystopian vision.

So f*ck him.

• Options
    The SNP tried continuity Sturgeon once; are they really going to do it again? Their capacity to turn a winning hand into a losing one is quite, quite extraordinary.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,428
    p.s. God there’s an awful lot of Shakespeare we’ve got to wade through before he’s done with this ...
  • Options
    On Holyrood the Greens have indicated they will not support Labour's vonc so hanging on together as they and the SNP career towards irrelevance
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603
    Heathener said:

p.s. God there’s an awful lot of Shakespeare we’ve got to wade through before he’s done with this ...

Until Birnam wood removes to Dunsinane I'm afraid.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,251

On Holyrood the Greens have indicated they will not support Labour's vonc so hanging on together as they and the SNP career towards irrelevance

SNP will not be able to get a lot done now before the 2026 Scottish Election whereupon they will be consigned into opposition with the return of the LAB/LD coalition.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Until Birnam wood removes to Dunsinane I'm afraid.
    Last syllable of recorded time
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,426

The SNP tried continuity Sturgeon once; are they really going to do it again? Their capacity to turn a winning hand into a losing one is quite, quite extraordinary.

Say what you like about the SNP but they’ve not done much losing in the last 15+ years
  • Options
    Reading about the British during the war randomly dropping cages with homing pigeons over Belgium, with questionnaires attacked to their legs asking questions like “are there any German troops in your area?” or “are there any rotating aerials near where you live?”. Some of them were never found, and the pigeon starved to death. Others provided hungry Belgians with a free pigeon supper. But some did come back with snippets of useful information.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,002
    Heathener said:

Perhaps time to move on to Burns. Perhaps in light of the Scottish government's difficulty over gender issues:

"Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine;
    A Man’s a Man for a’ that"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,929
    Soft, what light from yonder window breaks?
    Tis the east and Putin's just nuked Denmark.

To be or not to be?
    That is the question
    Whether tis nobler in the mind to climb the stairs
    Or leave the package here to be nicked by someone

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,733
    edited April 30
    Extraordinary remark about Sunak being “un-British” because of his Indian caste & master mentality

😶

I had to go back and check it was actually said. It was said. Is this the *kind of racism that is actually ok coz I’m on the left* racism?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Say what you like about the SNP but they’ve not done much losing in the last 15+ years
    Nor have the Tories but they are both about to meet their Waterloo
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,140
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Perhaps time to move on to Burns. Perhaps in light of the Scottish government's difficulty over gender issues:

"Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine;
    A Man’s a Man for a’ that"
    Not in context ... it's actually a very anti-Tory poem. Nearly got Burns arrested at the time.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Reading about the British during the war randomly dropping cages with homing pigeons over Belgium, with questionnaires attacked to their legs asking questions like “are there any German troops in your area?” or “are there any rotating aerials near where you live?”. Some of them were never found, and the pigeon starved to death. Others provided hungry Belgians with a free pigeon supper. But some did come back with snippets of useful information.

Some years ago pigeons managed to nest under our solar panels so that we had to instal mesh protection and whilst they cannot gain access they return to the roof seeking it every year about this time

They have incredible homing radar
  • Options
    Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

It’s not a racial slur, it’s the truth. Sunak belongs to that old school Indian businessman mentality of Master-slave. Indian societies are full of it and when it is accompanied by large dollops of money it soon translates from caste justification to dog-eats-dog.

When in a hole, luv.
    I mean, calling a woman ‘luv’ … and you think what I posted reflected badly on me?! You don’t really go around saying that kind of thing to women these days and expect to be taken seriously. Amongst some of my friends you’d probably be emasculated.

For what it’s worth I also think Enoch Powell was profoundly un-British. Another highly divisive politician who didn’t comprehend the essential fabric of this nation.

I’m no fan of the British Empire but having conquered our way around the world, this country, unlike say France, embraced cultural difference, welcoming peoples to our shores and enabling a rich diversity to emerge: a kaleidoscope which had a social conscience. It’s that caring and accepting core which has been a hallmark of this country. It’s diametrically opposed to the nasty, uncaring, Singaporean type model that Rishi Sunak would like to inject into this country in his Dystopian vision.

So f*ck him.

Given the Statute of Jewry 1275 and the anti Catholic provisions in the Act of Supremacy 1534 and for the next four centuries and the whole history of Ulster and indeed Ireland, it's a bit rich trying to conflate the concept of Britishness with unprejudiced fair play. Except in the context of cricket matches against other Englishmen of equal or superior social standing - otherwise, bodyline.
  • Options
    Holyrood magazine
    @HolyroodDaily
    Voters believe Kate Forbes would make a better first minister than John Swinney, new polling by Ipsos has shown. But Swinney is the favourite among SNP voters.

https://twitter.com/HolyroodDaily/status/1785354167084515554
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,941
    Leon said:

Extraordinary remark about Sunak being “un-British” because of his Indian caste & master mentality

😶

I had to go back and check it was actually said. It was said. Is this the *kind of racism that is actually ok coz I’m on the left* racism?

Is Heathener actually a lefty? Regardless its both bonkers and not okay.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    What a surprise ! So we’re going to have months now of the fxcking liar spewing his bile .
  • Options
    Evening all :)

First, thanks to everyone for their kind words on my local election threads. Thursday is going to be interesting with Blackpool South, the mayoral contests and the PCC elections alongside the Council elections.

I'm wondering if YouGov will have a London Mayoral poll in the field - the last poll in 2021 showed Khan leading Bailey by 12 and in the end the margin was less than five. Hall needs a poll showing the race closing but Labour need to prevent complacency particularly in its Inner London heartland.

The projected NEV vote was Conservative 36%, Labour 29%, Liberal Democrat 17%. The YouGov immediately before had the Conservatives on 43%, Labour on 33% and the LDs on 7% . Thursday's NEV projection will be fascinating.
  • Options
    The News Agents

@TheNewsAgents
    “1 in 5 people we arrest for terrorism offences is a child.”

“Not just active online - boys who've set out to actually carry out attacks.”

Head of UK terrorism policing
    @MattJukesMPS
    on the rise in young terror offenders.

👉 https://global-player.onelink.me/Br0x/TNANewEpisode
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Apart from the biggie, their raison d'être.

Cannot believe we are approaching the tenth anniversary of when Scotland rejected division, nationalism, and embraced unity.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

And despite their troubles likely to still be the largest party in Holyrood in the event of an early election.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Cannot believe we are approaching the tenth anniversary of when Scotland rejected division, nationalism, and embraced unity.
    Yes, nearly a generation...
  • Options
    edited April 30
    I'm sure Ross is crap and he is an opponent of theirs, but I almost feel bad for him on that score.

Edit: Admirable honesty in the number admitting to not knowing who various Ministers are though.
  • Options
    A distinct absence of Stuart Lewis I fear... :)
  • Options
    edited April 30

Leon said:

😶

Definitely a lefty. However @Heathener is so nutty - simultaneously an award winning writer, a far ranging traveller, a post woman, a TV presenter, a known expert on trans issues, and an impoverished single mother who has to save her boiled water in thermos flask - I sometimes wonder if she is a mad sock puppet created by me to see how much bollocks people will believe

At this point I am keen to disown her. Not my doing
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,779
    Heathener said:

Enough, no more.
    'Tis not so sweet now as it was before
  • Options

DougSeal said:

When Big Dave orchestrated a referendum you always had this warm and warm certainty things were going to turn out right.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    kle4 said:

I'm sure Ross is crap and he is an opponent of theirs, but I almost feel bad for him on that score.

Edit: Admirable honesty in the number admitting to not knowing who various Ministers are though.
    The poll is of SNP voters only.
  • Options
    edited April 30
    Leon said:

Leon said:

😶

Definitely a lefty. However @Heathener is so nutty - simultaneously an award winning writer, a far ranging traveller, a post woman, a TV presenter, a known expert on trans issues, and an impoverished single mother who has to save her boiled water in thermos flask - I sometimes wonder if she is a mad sock puppet created by me to see how much bollocks people will believe

We know that, your previous attempt to write in a different character during the gestation of Byronic having stood up for all of just two days.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

I know. It's still super harsh to get -78. I'm sure he'd have been happy with -50.
  • Options
    stodge said:

First, thanks to everyone for their kind words on my local election threads. Thursday is going to be interesting with Blackpool South, the mayoral contests and the PCC elections alongside the Council elections.

I'm wondering if YouGov will have a London Mayoral poll in the field - the last poll in 2021 showed Khan leading Bailey by 12 and in the end the margin was less than five. Hall needs a poll showing the race closing but Labour need to prevent complacency particularly in its Inner London heartland.

The projected NEV vote was Conservative 36%, Labour 29%, Liberal Democrat 17%. The YouGov immediately before had the Conservatives on 43%, Labour on 33% and the LDs on 7% . Thursday's NEV projection will be fascinating.

YouGov have just returned from the field;

YouGov’s latest poll ahead of the London mayoral election on Thursday shows Labour incumbent Sadiq Khan with a 22pt lead over Tory challenger Susan Hall.

Fieldwork was conducted among 1,192 adults in London on 24-30 April, with the vast majority of responses gathered on 24-27 April.

Currently, 47% of those saying they intend to vote in the London election say they will back Khan, compared to 25% for Hall.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49286-london-2024-mayoral-race-khan-47-hall-25

I guess the striking thing is that I doubt many will think that result is that striking.

First round in 2021 was Khan 40 Bailey 35.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

And not that bad for Sarwar considering. SLAB may well have a good GE.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,382
    Leon said:

Leon said:

😶

Is she stalking you?

Scary?
  • Options
    Leon said:

😶

There's a very legit question of why Rishi S. appears to have no empathy at all for anyone who isn't a squillionaire banker. That's a problem for any politician.

No need to drag the rest of a continent into that, though.

(Have I managed to annoy everyone there?)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,418
    Hot news from the State Broadcaster.

Train drivers are mostly middle aged white men.

This is the sort of cutting edge journalism that makes one proud of the license fee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68921391
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,172
    Taz said:

Hot news from the State Broadcaster.

Train drivers are mostly middle aged white men.

This is the sort of cutting edge journalism that makes one proud of the license fee.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68921391

I know, it's an amazing fact that I never would have thought of if it hadn't been for this article.
  • Options

stodge said:

YouGov’s latest poll ahead of the London mayoral election on Thursday shows Labour incumbent Sadiq Khan with a 22pt lead over Tory challenger Susan Hall.

Fieldwork was conducted among 1,192 adults in London on 24-30 April, with the vast majority of responses gathered on 24-27 April.

Currently, 47% of those saying they intend to vote in the London election say they will back Khan, compared to 25% for Hall.

https://yougov.co.uk/politics/articles/49286-london-2024-mayoral-race-khan-47-hall-25

I guess the striking thing is that I doubt many will think that result is that striking.

That would have to be such an order of magnitude wrong as to warrant YouGov being expelled from the BPC for Hall to win. It's barely any change since the last poll (Khan +1, Hall -2) and the fact Khan leads by 13 in Outer London (43-30) tells you all you need to know. The other damning statistic is 44% of Londoners have no opinion of Susan Hall - she had failed to make any impression in most of London.

In East Ham we've had two Labour leaflets and nothing from any of the other candidates.
  • Options
    Foxy said:
    Er, that went viral on January 18th. Check the date and then try and keep up

Three months ago, which is about three decades
    ago in AI land
  • Options

Leon said:

😶

There's a very legit question of why Rishi S. appears to have no empathy at all for anyone who isn't a squillionaire banker. That's a problem for any politician.

No need to drag the rest of a continent into that, though.

(Have I managed to annoy everyone there?)
    Yes. It's only a subcontinent.

Though why Europe with one third the land mass and half the population continues to make the big C grade is anyone's guess
  • Options
    Taz said:
    That does indeed look fabulously noomy

I did find some french boom today. Not in Mont St Michel - all the trillions of tourists gave it negative noom. Antinoom. Despite it majestic beauty

No, it was at this lost megalithic alignment in remote inland Brittany. St Just. About 60 km south of Rennes

• Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

That would have to be such an order of magnitude wrong as to warrant YouGov being expelled from the BPC for Hall to win. It's barely any change since the last poll (Khan +1, Hall -2) and the fact Khan leads by 13 in Outer London (43-30) tells you all you need to know. The other damning statistic is 44% of Londoners have no opinion of Susan Hall - she had failed to make any impression in most of London.

In East Ham we've had two Labour leaflets and nothing from any of the other candidates.
    We've had stuff in Romford, though mostly of the "ANDREW ROSINDELL opposes Mayor Khan. (So vote Susan Hall or whether her name is.)" type.

The score for Havering and Redbridge last time was C46 L37. On these sorts of swings, bums in Margaret Thatcher House may be squeaking.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

What a surprise ! So we’re going to have months now of the fxcking liar spewing his bile .
    IF he decides to come out and campaign for Reform, I imagine the Conservatives will be a tad vexed. If we are to believe a view on here, Reform will be mercilessly squeezed in the coming GE but let's play Devil's Advocate - could Farage start taking votes from the Conservatives? We have this 35% "bloc" of Conservative/Reform voters which currently splits 22-25% Conservative and 10-13% Reform - what if that was more like 18-17 or 17-18?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,885
    stodge said:

My rule-of-thumb is to knock 6% off the LDs' local NEV to get their Westminster support level.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,058
    viewcode said:

A distinct absence of Stuart Lewis I fear... :)
    He is currently considering whether to stand in the SNP leadership contest.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,885

DougSeal said:

Well, there isn't going to a be a big "Better Together" re-union party, with Michelle Mone as their poster girl again.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Losing two leaders in as many years isn't great.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,172
    Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

When in a hole, luv.

So f*ck him.

I got called "darling" by a woman in a shop the other day. Wasn't bothered. Nor are most other people.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    edited April 30
    YouGov have some local election analysis and 'polling'(some local numbers not NEV) out on their twitter/site
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited April 30
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

When in a hole, luv.

So f*ck him.

I got called "darling" by a woman in a shop the other day. Wasn't bothered. Nor are most other people.
    The very etymology of the word 'patronising' explains why the impact might be different for women than for men.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,289
    Has Matt been reading PB again...

• Options
    Savanta this week little change 44 26 (one up, one down) with LD and Ref on 10
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,289
    @Savanta_UK
    🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention for
    @Telegraph

📈18pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 44 (+1)
    🌳Con 26 (-1)
    ➡️Reform 10 (=)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

2,144 UK adults, 26-28 April

(chg 19-21 April)
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Losing two leaders in as many years isn't great.
    Rather better than the Tories who lost two in as many months in 2022.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @Telegraph

📈18pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 44 (+1)
    🌳Con 26 (-1)
    ➡️Reform 10 (=)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

(chg 19-21 April)

Stop the Boats bounce innit.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,902
    TOPPING said:

Not first, surely.

I think the other 28 firsts were all on the previous thread. One of the longest overhangs I have seen.

For anyone following the Trump case, the Judge Merschan ruling re: contempt is only 8 pages, and worth a read or at least a skim:

https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/press/PDFs/D.O.motion4contempt-FINAL.pdf

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,624
    stodge said:

nico679 said:

IF he decides to come out and campaign for Reform, I imagine the Conservatives will be a tad vexed. If we are to believe a view on here, Reform will be mercilessly squeezed in the coming GE but let's play Devil's Advocate - could Farage start taking votes from the Conservatives? We have this 35% "bloc" of Conservative/Reform voters which currently splits 22-25% Conservative and 10-13% Reform - what if that was more like 18-17 or 17-18?
    It has reached parity in quite a few demographics already, and the dynamics might get interesting if Farage's return pushes it beyond parity in those social groups. It might create a sense within those social circles that "everyone" is voting for Farage/Reform and that voting for the Tories is the wasted vote.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @Telegraph

📈18pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 44 (+1)
    🌳Con 26 (-1)
    ➡️Reform 10 (=)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

(chg 19-21 April)

Yet another poll that's obviously completely wrong.

Add Reform to Con, and then double that to account for inevitable swingback and Starmer being useless, and you're left with Tories on 72%.

That's much more like it.
    Hardly worth having an election, really.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,648

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @Telegraph

📈18pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 44 (+1)
    🌳Con 26 (-1)
    ➡️Reform 10 (=)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

(chg 19-21 April)

Add Reform to Con, and then double that to account for inevitable swingback and Starmer being useless, and you're left with Tories on 72%.

Don't give them ideas.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @Telegraph

📈18pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 44 (+1)
    🌳Con 26 (-1)
    ➡️Reform 10 (=)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

(chg 19-21 April)

Don't give them ideas.
    They'd have no use for them.
  • Options
    edited April 30
    I missed this somehow. I guess not every England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has been unveiled as a general election candidate for George Galloway's Workers Party of Britain.

Mr Panesar said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" in Parliament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68929678
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @Telegraph

📈18pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 44 (+1)
    🌳Con 26 (-1)
    ➡️Reform 10 (=)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

(chg 19-21 April)

Has Loon Rabbit hacked your account?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

The News Agents

@TheNewsAgents
    “1 in 5 people we arrest for terrorism offences is a child.”

“Not just active online - boys who've set out to actually carry out attacks.”

Head of UK terrorism policing
    @MattJukesMPS
    on the rise in young terror offenders.

👉 https://global-player.onelink.me/Br0x/TNANewEpisode

I mentioned this before; my girlfriend used to work in an East London School which is 100% Muslim. The UN phoned up to say it was likely to be a breeding ground for terrorists, and one of her jobs was to monitor the kids internet usage as they were liable to be getting groomed online. Anjem Choudrays's kids went there.

It gives the real villains a get out I suppose as lots of people will say the kids dont know what they are doing/have been groomed etc a la Shamima Begum
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I missed this somehow. I guess not ever England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has been unveiled as a general election candidate for George Galloway's Workers Party of Britain.

Mr Panesar said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" in Parliament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68929678

Yep, Monty for Ealing
  • Options
    MattW said:

TOPPING said:

Not first, surely.

I think the other 28 firsts were all on the previous thread. One of the longest overhangs I have seen.

For anyone following the Trump case, the Judge Merschan ruling re: contempt is only 8 pages, and worth a read or at least a skim:

It's very un-British to carry on posting on a thread when a New Thread has been announced.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    TOPPING said:

MattW said:

TOPPING said:

Not first, surely.

It's very un-British to carry on posting on a thread when a New Thread has been announced.
    I suspect that there is an incredibly fervent discussion still going on on thread #1. Has anyone checked?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624
    Shocked and saddened by the death of the teenager, as well as the other injuries inflicted by the Samurai killer.

Incident happened less than two miles away from us. And Mum is a member of the camera club in Franklyn Gardens.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

I'm impressed Labour even bother to put out leaflets in East Ham.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,648

Scott_xP said:

@Savanta_UK
    @Telegraph

📈18pt Labour lead

🌹Lab 44 (+1)
    🌳Con 26 (-1)
    ➡️Reform 10 (=)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 3 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 4 (=)

(chg 19-21 April)

Has Loon Rabbit hacked your account?
    Yes. The General Election is going to be held last Thursday. I'm sure.
  • Options
    This will be a Brexit dividend right?

Importers have warned that plans for goods inspectors at the Brexit border to clock off at 7pm risk creating chaos.

Industry bosses have urged ministers to address the “crazy” situation, which will result in almost all checkpoints being shut overnight, amid fears it will affect fresh food supplies.

It will mean that trucks bringing produce into the country through southern ports, including Dover, will be redirected to a single processing facility in Kent.

The warning was issued as long-delayed post-Brexit border controls on large quantities of “medium risk” goods, including fresh food, finally came into force on Tuesday.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/04/30/chaos-warning-brexit-border-clock-off-7pm/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,902
    edited April 30
    @Cookie

Can I pick up your "High Peak the back of beyond" point, without rummaging through the entire previous thread?

Derbyshire can be a little deceptive, in that the County Council is run from Matlock which is central.

Nottinghamshire is run from West Bridgford - which is close to the Southern border, and 30+ miles from say Worksop at the Northern end, so somewhat different.

Taking the whole East Midlands Government region, Nottingham-Derby-Leicester is close to the centre of gravity. Lincs may complain, but NDL is something like 1.5 million people. By comparison Mansfield-Sutton-Worksop-Chesterfield is perhaps 500k-700k.

For the N2D2 area, I am not sure where the new Mayoralty will be based. Notts CC is setting up a centre at the Northern end of Hucknall, in Ashfield. I am not sure what is happening to County Hall, in West Bridgford, or how much will be left there.

Do you know where the N2D2 Mayor will be based? I can't nail it down, so I am assuming it will be quite distributed. But then, at present a lot is up in the air.
This discussion has been closed.