Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will Starmer do better than Blair? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,590

Leon said:

Leon said:

Controversial take of the day: gilets are even more satisfying to wear than hoodies

I know. Shoot me. I DON’T CARE

They are brilliant.
    They have a large hint of the waistcoat, affording that masculine smartness (they are much more flattering for men than women) but also extremely practical - freeing your arms, and they allow layering, you can wear things under and over

The puffer gilet is pure genius. All that and they weigh 2 ounces and you can pack them in a tiny space and they don’t get crumpled. Superb
    Wearing a gilet is like putting a sign round your neck saying in large letters "I am a c***".
    Well, I am bit of a c*nt, I am happy to own it

I suspect you are, too

But a gilet is not a clincher of c*ntishness, that is OLB’s class anxiety on display
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,464
    Mr Bancroft, that was an absolutely filthy ball. The first one Higgins had bowled.

How the actual fuck did you drag it on?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Off-topic and on the Post Office.

What are disclosure requirements for such a statutory enquiry (assuming I have the correct phrase)? Do witnesses get to see the evidence before the public display, as in a Court Case?

Is "Angela van den Bogerd shown letter blaming PO for sub-postmaster's death" a potential Perry Mason moment in a forum such as this enquiry, or are they impossible?

God knows. The evidence so far from those involved seems to be fulsome apology, usually read from script, and then failure to remember anything damning.
    The said apology being a pro-forma non-apology. "I am really sorry that bad stuff happened to an NPC. It was nothing to do with me or any responsibility of mine..."

Can we state, formally, that the NU10K thesis is proved? We have people who were on a million a year, who deny all knowledge of the organisation they were running.
    A classic of the "I'm sorry if you felt that" style of apology.
    British Gas have tried that one on me.

They took it back faster than they sent it out.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,859
    kinabalu said:

Trump's team implying Pecker was squeezed by the state.

I'm still reeling from yesterday's SC hearing, when his lawyer asserted in plain terms that ordering the assassination of a political opponent might fall within a President's official duties and therefore carry with it immunity.

And was taken seriously by more than one Justice.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,673
    The legendary Mayor of New York, Fiorello La Guardia once challenged a Jewish opponent who accused him (on totally spurious grounds) of anti-Semitism, to a debate . . . conducted in Yiddish . . . which LGA (his mother was Jewish) spoke fluently, but the other guy did NOT.

Would love it IF someone would challenge Boris Johnson to debate . . . wait for it . . . conducted in Latin.

Who wants to bet, that BoJo would duck THAT opportunity?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

I'm still reeling from yesterday's SC hearing, when his lawyer asserted in plain terms that ordering the assassination of a political opponent might fall within a President's official duties and therefore carry with it immunity.

I'm surprised they didn't say the assassination of the VP was an official act carrying immunity.

After all, that's what he's actually accused of planning. Or at least, attempting.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,375

nico679 said:

This election talk is absolute nonsense .

Who in their right mind goes to the country with the current polling .

Lefties: "The Tories' judgement is so bad that they are ruining the country at every turn!"

Also lefties: "An imminent election is absolute nonsense. The Tories are certain to time an election perfectly optimally! The bastards!"
    The tories will only drop more the longer they wait. There is nothing to wait for even if it is bad. They have to pinch their noses and take their medicine.
    But Sunak will surely want his 2 years. So I'm ruling out anything earlier than Oct 24th.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    DavidL said:

Well.

In pictura est puella. Puella Cornelia est. Cornelia in Italia habitat.

Ecce Romani 1 from about 1972.

And people say I have gone dottled! Hahahahaha!!
    I could have sworn it was “In picturam est puella, nomine Cordelia”

But that Ecce Romani was c. 1984, so possibly a redrafted later edition.

“Latin’s a dead language
    As dead as dead can be
    It killed off all the Romans
    And now it’s killing me”
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Yes I fear a muddled cop-out that will facilitate more delay.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,781
    edited April 26
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Controversial take of the day: gilets are even more satisfying to wear than hoodies

They are brilliant.
    They have a large hint of the waistcoat, affording that masculine smartness (they are much more flattering for men than women) but also extremely practical - freeing your arms, and they allow layering, you can wear things under and over

The puffer gilet is pure genius. All that and they weigh 2 ounces and you can pack them in a tiny space and they don’t get crumpled. Superb
    Wearing a gilet is like putting a sign round your neck saying in large letters "I am a c***".
    More specifically, and depending upon the type of gilet, either:

"I am c*** that works for a hedge fund"; or
    "I am a c*** that is off to the point to point next week".

And/or possibly/likely both.
    I agree with Leon. Great things, and very practical.

Mine says "I run Schrodingers' cameras. Please stay away at least 1.5m, or you may win six points for your driving skills."

I can't be a c**ntrysportist as it isn't the right shade of green.

I had an interesting chat in the best local chip shop with a lot of builders this week, about "what is that sign?".

(Replaced/shrunk - thought it would thumbnail. Sorry - it is stretching the pic.)

It's called a PassPixi - available in various forms - if anyone wants one.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,570

The legendary Mayor of New York, Fiorello La Guardia once challenged a Jewish opponent who accused him (on totally spurious grounds) of anti-Semitism, to a debate . . . conducted in Yiddish . . . which LGA (his mother was Jewish) spoke fluently, but the other guy did NOT.

Would love it IF someone would challenge Boris Johnson to debate . . . wait for it . . . conducted in Latin.

Who wants to bet, that BoJo would duck THAT opportunity?

On November 19th 2015 Intelligence Squared hosted the ultimate clash of civilisations: Greece vs Rome. It was also the ultimate clash of intellectual titans. Boris Johnson, Mayor of London and ardent classicist, made the case for Greece; while Mary Beard, Professor of Classics at Cambridge and redoubtable media star, championed Rome.

As Boris argued, the Greeks got there first: in literature, history, art and philosophy. The Iliad and the Odyssey are the earliest surviving epic poems, the foundations on which European literature was built. The Greek myths – the tales of Oedipus, Heracles and Persephone, to name but a few – contain the archetypal plot elements of hubris and nemesis on which even Hollywood films depend today.

It was in ancient Athens that the birth of democracy took place under the leadership of the great statesman Pericles. And in that political climate with its love of freedom and competition, and passion for argument, the great cultural flourishing of classical Athens occurred: the tragedies of Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides; the philosophical writings of Plato and Aristotle; and the marble and stone wonders of the Parthenon. Nothing before or since has matched that explosion of talent in a slice of Mediterranean coast smaller than Gloucestershire, with a population the size of Bristol’s.

But as Mary Beard reminded us, Greece eventually lost out to Rome. Little Athens, with its loose-knit, short-lived empire, had nothing to rival Rome’s scale. From Hadrian’s Wall to north Africa, from Spain’s Atlantic coast to Babylon, the Romans stamped a permanent legacy on architecture, language, religion and politics.
    Although nothing can detract from the brilliance of Greek literature, the great Roman writers have an immediacy unmatched by any other ancient culture. Virgil’s epic poem the Aeneid, while invoking Homer, conveys an ambiguity towards war that appeals to modern sensibilities; Catullus’s taut analysis of his own complex emotions and the scatological insults he hurls at his rivals make him seem like the kind of clever and amusing friend we all wish we had. These poets reach out to us with voices that make the intervening 2,000 years vanish.

While Athens declined into a forgotten backwater, Rome became the eternal city, home to the greatest classical buildings on earth – the Colosseum, the Pantheon and Trajan’s column. It is thanks to a Roman emperor, Constantine, that Christianity became both the presiding European religion and the force that shaped the Renaissance. Europe is still built in Rome’s image, despite the fall of the Roman Empire.

Some say that if Mary Beard had been in charge, the Roman Empire would never have fallen. Others say Boris is soon to be the Pericles of Downing Street. Who gets your vote?

Morgat, on the Crozon peninsula. I was told it is remote and wild here. The French maybe have a different definition of “remote and wild”

Knoydart it is not. Nice enough tho

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,225
    @PronouncedAlva

NEW Andy Street says he won't blame Rishi Sunak if he loses next week, in Bloomberg interview.

It comes amid speculation he or Ben Houchen could call for Sunak's resignation if one of them loses on Thursday.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They are brilliant.

I suspect you are, too

But a gilet is not a clincher of c*ntishness, that is OLB’s class anxiety on display
    That seems to be the go-to jibe for poshboys faced with class insurrection.
  • Options
    MattW said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They are brilliant.

More specifically, and depending upon the type of gilet, either:

"I am c*** that works for a hedge fund"; or
    "I am a c*** that is off to the point to point next week".

And/or possibly/likely both.
    I agree with Leon. Great things, and very practical.

Mine says "I run Schrodingers' cameras. Please stay away at least 1.5m, or you may win six points for your driving skills."

I can't be a c**ntrysportist as it isn't the right shade of green.

I had an interesting chat in the best local chip shop with a lot of builders this week, about "what is that sign?".

(Replaced/shrunk - thought it would thumbnail.)

It's called a PassPixi - available in various forms - if anyone wants one.
    Yes, one of the many great things about the puffer gilet is that it gives you at least two more pockets, making four if you wear a jacket over - mine is a padded black Barbour

Sorry @OnlyLivingBoy i guess that doesn’t help

Anyway yes FOUR pockets above the waist. Plus internal pockets. How good is that? Does life get any better than that, in late middle age?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They are brilliant.

I suspect you are, too

That seems to be the go-to jibe for poshboys faced with class insurrection.
    Go back to your - internal shudder - “scones” and remember your station
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Indeed. The ultimate Usonian guard rail - SCOTUS - is bent.
  • Options
    edited April 26

Awesome poster 👏

AI images invoke an instant ban. That is clearly AI. Look at the mad typography

For clarity I don’t want you banned. I enjoy your commentary. I just wanna know the ROOLS
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Wings is always an entertaining read at times like this, mostly because he seems to hate everyone involved in Scottish politics apart from Alex Salmond, and even then he's annoyed that Alba are not anti-SNP enough.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@PronouncedAlva

NEW Andy Street says he won't blame Rishi Sunak if he loses next week, in Bloomberg interview.

It comes amid speculation he or Ben Houchen could call for Sunak's resignation if one of them loses on Thursday.

Houchen already has a Peerage to fall back on, what does he care if he loses?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,108
    Leon said:

Awesome poster 👏

For clarity I don’t want you banned. I enjoy your commentary. I just wanna know the ROOLS
    I want to know if a train with just one wheel is meant to be a metaphor for the way this new 'British Railways' will work. Or perhaps, not work... ;)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Lefties: "The Tories' judgement is so bad that they are ruining the country at every turn!"

Also lefties: "An imminent election is absolute nonsense. The Tories are certain to time an election perfectly optimally! The bastards!"
    The tories will only drop more the longer they wait. There is nothing to wait for even if it is bad. They have to pinch their noses and take their medicine.
    But Sunak will surely want his 2 years. So I'm ruling out anything earlier than Oct 24th.
    Agreed

Even though it looks terrible for similar reasons I could see him trying for January.

2022-2025 looks much more impressive than 2022-2024.
  • Options
    Also if gilet = instant c*ntishness then that makes at least 40% of French males c*nts as they all wear them

And ALL Parisian waiters wear them

PAUSE

OK I see your point here
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,523
    edited April 26
    In the 2016 American election, some enterprising Putin people were able to inspire two opposing demonstrations in Texas.

Czar Putin's goal is to divide us, in any way he can. Agents joining in a pro-Hamas demonstration, even in a weird way, is consistent with that strategy. Even though that example may be an error, tactically.

(Could the current debate here over jacket styles be another example of a Putin attempt to divide? Almost certainly not, but I would not rule it out, absolutely.)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,311
    edited April 26

Awesome poster 👏

Are Labour planning to put their British tanks on the level crossings of Scotland’s already publicly owned railways?

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    cozened; cozening ˈkəz-niŋ
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb
    1: to deceive, win over, or induce to do something by artful coaxing and wheedling or shrewd trickery
    2: to gain by cozening someone
    cozened his supper out of the old couple
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,165
    kle4 said:

Wings is always an entertaining read at times like this, mostly because he seems to hate everyone involved in Scottish politics apart from Alex Salmond, and even then he's annoyed that Alba are not anti-SNP enough.

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Awesome poster 👏

You are just dazzled by its awesomeness. Enjoy Brittany.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

MattW said:

Off-topic and on the Post Office.

What are disclosure requirements for such a statutory enquiry (assuming I have the correct phrase)? Do witnesses get to see the evidence before the public display, as in a Court Case?

Is "Angela van den Bogerd shown letter blaming PO for sub-postmaster's death" a potential Perry Mason moment in a forum such as this enquiry, or are they impossible?

God knows. The evidence so far from those involved seems to be fulsome apology, usually read from script, and then failure to remember anything damning.
    The said apology being a pro-forma non-apology. "I am really sorry that bad stuff happened to an NPC. It was nothing to do with me or any responsibility of mine..."

Can we state, formally, that the NU10K thesis is proved? We have people who were on a million a year, who deny all knowledge of the organisation they were running.
    A classic of the "I'm sorry if you felt that" style of apology.
    The good thing is it can be turned against the person using it of course.

• Options

Leon said:

Awesome poster 👏

I want to know if a train with just one wheel is meant to be a metaphor for the way this new 'British Railways' will work. Or perhaps, not work... ;)
    Lol. Suck it up.

RAIL.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

Even though it looks terrible for similar reasons I could see him trying for January.

Also: events

There is a logic to clinging on to the bitter end. I’m not sure the Tories can go much lower now. 20 seems to be the floor

What is better, getting existentially wiped out in October or getting existentially wiped out four months later in January?

The latter, clearly. And there is always the chance that some enormous black swan will break the arm of political inevitability
  • Options

Leon said:

Awesome poster 👏

Lol. Suck it up.

RAIL.
    Suck what up?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

Ah no I don't expect Jan. Too clingy. But yes I'd make that more likely than anything before Oct 24th.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

Ah no I don't expect Jan. Too clingy. But yes I'd make that more likely than anything before Oct 24th.
    I think they'll pull back from January, the chances of any event saving them between end of Oct through to January seems minimal, though December could be defended as going the full five years, so October can be pretended to be 'early'.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,367
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

There is a logic to clinging on to the bitter end. I’m not sure the Tories can go much lower now. 20 seems to be the floor

What is better, getting existentially wiped out in October or getting existentially wiped out four months later in January?

The latter, clearly. And there is always the chance that some enormous black swan will break the arm of political inevitability
    Didn't we once egard 30 as a floor?

in politics, all floors are false.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

I think they'll pull back from January, the chances of any event saving them between end of Oct through to January seems minimal, though December could be defended as going the full five years, so October can be pretended to be 'early'.
    After the last few years, dismissing the chance of a world shaking black swan in any four month period is… overly sanguine?

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,355

Leon said:

Awesome poster 👏

Lol. Suck it up.

RAIL.
    Suck what up?
    CASH ?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,451

Awesome poster 👏

Are Labour planning to put their British tanks on the level crossings of Scotland’s already publicly owned railways?

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb
    1: to deceive, win over, or induce to do something by artful coaxing and wheedling or shrewd trickery
    Keir Cozens is the Labour candidate for Great Yarmouth.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

But they are now bouncing around 20, and rarely go below

It looks like a floor of sorts to me. And that makes sense. The Tories are the natural party of the right and a fair number of people - 20%? - have always voted for them unthinkingly and always will
  • Options

Leon said:

Awesome poster 👏

Lol. Suck it up.

RAIL.
    Suck what up?
    It
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522
    nico679 said:

The King is back . Good news . You don’t have to be a royalist to be happy about that .

Well that puts paid to that story last night that he was practically on his deathbed….
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Awesome poster 👏

Lol. Suck it up.

RAIL.
    Suck what up?
    CASH ?
    There are probably specialist websites for your very weird obsession
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468

Taz said:

Leon said:

Awesome poster 👏

Lol. Suck it up.

RAIL.
    Suck what up?
    CASH ?
    There are probably specialist websites for your very weird obsession
    T R U S S
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,409

nico679 said:

The King is back . Good news . You don’t have to be a royalist to be happy about that .

Well that puts paid to that story last night that he was practically on his deathbed….
    Listening to Sky it appears Charles wants to return to duties but it is caveated by his progress in his treatment

I suspect he hopes to return soon may be more prudent and wise
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Scott_xP said:

@PronouncedAlva

Will it be the close of his career or the start of a long road back ?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,052

nico679 said:

Yes a lesson to some of our learned members not to believe US trash papers !
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

Also, if they're worried about Sunak being crap in an election campaign, having some of the campaign disrupted by Christmas is to their benefit. Meanwhile, the online attack ads could continue.
  • Options

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb
    Kissing Cozens.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,034

Scott_xP said:

@PronouncedAlva

Will it be the close of his career or the start of a long road back ?
    If (hopefully when) Ben Houchen loses he will be blaming anyone put himself.

Although it's probably better for Ben if he loses because I suspect Labour would have a lot more fun with the Teeswork scam if Ben remains there than they would if Labour wins the election.
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126

It would be peak Sunak to call an election on Monday. A campaign that will kick off with the Tories getting shellacked in the locals and before they can get one of their Rwanda-flights-on-which-everything-depends (in their minds anyway) away.

So I think it all sounds entirely plausible he’ll call it on Monday.

An election announcement on Monday - three days before the local elections - might boost Tory prospects sufficiently in the short term to enable the to hold on to a few Mayoral positions eg Teeside and West Midlands.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,052
    The BBC coverage now of the Gazan baby who died after being saved from her dead mother is so upsetting .

Also the language used won’t go down well with the Netenyahu fans . Fergal Keane talks of her family being obliterated by the Israelis .
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,982
    edited April 26

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb
    Not so long since Labour jumped up and down and demand that the SNP nationalise the water supply, railways, etc. etc. The party leader (the one yanking the chain, not the one on the other end) came up aaaaall the way to Scotland to give a speech and make those demands, much written down and publicised by BBC, etc. etc.

Alas it was impossible to achieve the impossible of nationalising a nationalised industry.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

Even for Sunak, I think it's fairly safe to say that 0 is the floor.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

The BBC coverage now of the Gazan baby who died after being saved from her dead mother is so upsetting .

Also the language used won’t go down well with the Netenyahu fans . Fergal Keane talks of her family being obliterated by the Israelis .

Fergal Keane? Name is familiar - he's author of such things as Season of Blood: Rwandan Journey (which I have not read) and Road of Bones (on Kohima 44, which I have).
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,391
    Scott_xP said:

@PronouncedAlva

Street is too nice to, Houchen too toxic. He'll need all the friends in high places he can get when Labour and others start actually removing the blocks to looking into precisely what's been going on in Teesside.
  • Options
    edited April 26

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb
    Keir Cozens is the Labour candidate for Great Yarmouth.
    Yeah I worked that out, I hardly thought it would be a line chosen by Lab for a Lab poster.
    Serendipitous though.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

Bitter Enders is an interesting phrase.

Does it not suggest a parallel between the final ingrown, desiccated rump of the current generation of Conservatives, and the similarly named section of the Boers in the Boer War?

The Bittereinders (Afrikaans: [ˌbətərˈɛindərs]) or irreconcilables were a faction of Boer guerrilla fighters, resisting the forces of the British Empire in the later stages of the Second Boer War (1899–1902).

Taken more generally, it could be used as another name for a "war party" (a faction within a political or military group favouring the waging of war) or for any group which does not wish to diminish its "fighting spirit" wanting to fight it out to the "bitter end".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittereinder
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,597
    HYUFD said:

At the moment Starmer is getting a Labour voteshare similar to Blair pre 1997 but will likely get an even bigger majority due to ReformUK eating more into the Sunak Tories voteshare than the Referendum party did into the Major Tories voteshare.

However Starmer is not as charismatic or as good a campaigned as Blair was and in the campaign itself and maybe the debates I expect Sunak to narrow the gap. If the new visa salary requirements for migrants and Rwanda destination for asylum seekers reduces immigration the Tories should also squeeze the Reform vote too

The debates? Sunak?

:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

I think Oct 17th is more likely in that all party conferences would likely be abandoned.. An election held on Oct 24th could enable both LDs and Labour to continue with their conferences with the Tories having to abort their own!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

At the moment Starmer is getting a Labour voteshare similar to Blair pre 1997 but will likely get an even bigger majority due to ReformUK eating more into the Sunak Tories voteshare than the Referendum party did into the Major Tories voteshare.

However Starmer is not as charismatic or as good a campaigned as Blair was and in the campaign itself and maybe the debates I expect Sunak to narrow the gap. If the new visa salary requirements for migrants and Rwanda destination for asylum seekers reduces immigration the Tories should also squeeze the Reform vote too

The debates? Sunak?

:

HYUFD said:

The debates? Sunak?

:
    Will there be Debates this year? Personally I very much hope not.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb
    Not so long since Labour jumped up and down and demand that the SNP nationalise the water supply, railways, etc. etc. The party leader (the one yanking the chain, not the one on the other end) came up aaaaall the way to Scotland to give a speech and make those demands, much written down and publicised by BBC, etc. etc.

Alas it was impossible to achieve the impossible of nationalising a nationalised industry.
    This not just nationalisation, this is SKS nationalisation.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,033
    Did Horse get banned again? Haven't seen him on the site for a bit.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    MattW said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

Does it not suggest a parallel between the final ingrown, desiccated rump of the current generation of Conservatives, and the similarly named section of the Boers in the Boer War?

The Bittereinders (Afrikaans: [ˌbətərˈɛindərs]) or irreconcilables were a faction of Boer guerrilla fighters, resisting the forces of the British Empire in the later stages of the Second Boer War (1899–1902).

Taken more generally, it could be used as another name for a "war party" (a faction within a political or military group favouring the waging of war) or for any group which does not wish to diminish its "fighting spirit" wanting to fight it out to the "bitter end".

"Not one step back!" from a more recent war.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

Agreed

Nothing to do with pink gins etc. Bitter end = end of the anchor cable actually lashed onto the ship's bitts (vertical members). If you (for instance) were at anchor and having a storm come up, you might veer out some more cable to try and reduce the force on the anchor itself, but yoiu couldn do it forever - sooner or later there would be no rope left.

Basically just carrying on regardless, even if there was no clear hope.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb

Oh? What's the difference? No Clause 4?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb

It isn't particularly 'nationalisation'; leastways, not as was being screamed for decades ("Bring back BR!"). Large and important parts are going to remain in the private sector, and it will take five years or more to get all the franchises into public ownership.

I'm unsure how this is supposed to improve things for passengers; especially given that, AIUI, the DfT will still be in ultimate charge.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Yes a lesson to some of our learned members not to believe US trash papers !
    When I read that story the bit saying Camilla was being a total bitch and giving him no support didn't ring true so I figured it was probably all made up. Hope he's ok anyway.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb

M&S sandwiches for all!
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb

M&S sandwiches for all!
    TBF, BR was already moving on a long way from those weird (Walls? Lyons) fruit pies of the 1960s that looked like square Nelsonian ship biscuits but when poked turned out to resemble damp cardboard with a thin layer of Mixed Fruit jam in the middle.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,154

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb

M&S sandwiches for all!
    “Let them eat traybake”
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036
    Andy_JS said:

@MoonRabbit is AWOL as well. Is she on ComHome again?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,415
    edited April 26
    PBKS are trying to chase down 261 in 20 overs and they are making it look easy. Only 9 required in last 2 overs. Make that 3. This is the biggest chase in T20 history. YJB has got a 100. Played really well.

And its all over with 8 balls to spare. Insane.
  • Options
    The problem with wind power — it's providing only 2.6% of electricity atm.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,130
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe that was him running through London and he is still getting treatment
  • Options
    For those worrying about KCIII, BBC Reporting Shortbread has give out a communiqué to say he will be resuming public duties next week.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,391

Carnyx said:

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb

It isn't particularly 'nationalisation'; leastways, not as was being screamed for decades ("Bring back BR!"). Large and important parts are going to remain in the private sector, and it will take five years or more to get all the franchises into public ownership.

I'm unsure how this is supposed to improve things for passengers; especially given that, AIUI, the DfT will still be in ultimate charge.
    Ultimately, the only way to seriously improve things is to seriously upgrade the network. What it may help them do if get things right is find efficiencies in the places where operators weren't that interested in, improve things like ticketing and pricing, and deploy or increase staff to reduce cancellations where it's become a huge problem.

That's largely tinkering, and will upset those who think nationalisation is a magic wand - but may just be a useful and necessary kick up the bum that improves things where they've become unacceptable.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The problem with wind power — it's providing only 2.6% of electricity atm.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

4.8% when you include the onshore turbines that greed into the local grid.
    https://grid.iamkate.com/
    But, yes, more storage needs to be added to the grid to time shift wind energy. Nor that, if that is mostly small battery sites, they might not show up on the national grid stats either.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    Channing Tatum's new film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcmfonGWY4

Point to note. Channing Tatum's receding hairline is now obvious.

Just sayin'
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 91
    Of recent "worried incumbent" GEs GE 1979 was on a VONC 1992 3 months earlier than the last possible date 1997 three weeks early, 2010 as late as possible (and 2015 fixed by statute). I don't see the incentive for Sunak to buck the trend and there's no longer much force in the argument that you will be punished for making people vote in winter when you are going to be punished for being the Tories anyway. January 2025 is my expectation.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,350
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Is ComHome the antithesis of ConHome? Nonsense from the extreme left rather than the right.
  • Options
    MJW said:

Carnyx said:

Awesome poster 👏

Keir Cozens is good.

cozen
    verb
    coz·​en ˈkə-zən
    ˈkə-zə-
    Synonyms of cozen

transitive verb

Ultimately, the only way to seriously improve things is to seriously upgrade the network. What it may help them do if get things right is find efficiencies in the places where operators weren't that interested in, improve things like ticketing and pricing, and deploy or increase staff to reduce cancellations where it's become a huge problem.

That's largely tinkering, and will upset those who think nationalisation is a magic wand - but may just be a useful and necessary kick up the bum that improves things where they've become unacceptable.
    There was a very good thread (linked to from Nigel Harris's account) detailing why franchises were so successful initially, especially in terms of increasing passenger numbers (*).

https://twitter.com/seatsixtyone/status/1783459251584655502

A large question is whether this change will actually mean the DfT works better - and many of the current problems are down to the DfT rather than the franchisees. Or whether giving the DfT more power just leads to more problems.

(*) The sorts of reasons I've bleated at before, so of course I like it. ;)
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 639
    nico679 said:

Yes you do. Can you name any non-royalists who are happy about it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,081
    Andy_JS said:

'Britain’s Reform UK party does not exist
    But it is all the more powerful as a result
    Bagehot"

https://www.economist.com/britain/2024/04/24/britains-reform-uk-party-does-not-exist

Hmmm: I'm happy to bet the author of the piece that the LibDems will (a) poll more than 10%, and (b) get fewer than 40 seats, probably a lot fewer.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Is ComHome the antithesis of ConHome? Nonsense from the extreme left rather than the right.
    Naybe.

(yes, it was a typo :( )
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Bagehot"

https://www.economist.com/britain/2024/04/24/britains-reform-uk-party-does-not-exist

Hmmm: I'm happy to bet the author of the piece that the LibDems will (a) poll more than 10%, and (b) get fewer than 40 seats, probably a lot fewer.
    I agree, a combination that's very unlikely.
  • Options
    God Save the King!

Seriously. Please save him. We don’t need the royal family on the verge of collapsing. Also on a human level

In more important news: I can report that @TimS is right: the craft beer revolution has definitely hit France. The Leclerc hyper market here in Crozon has half an entire aisle of them - IPAs, wheat beers, fruit beers, loads

Also half an aisle of scotch whisky - an
    extraordinary selection. And yet only 3 or 4 cognacs and kind of hidden away like they are eggnog

The French have abandoned their own national spirit
  • Options
    edited April 26
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Bagehot"

Bearing in mind your 80 seat prediction for 2019, if there was an election tomorrow what would be your prediction? Surely the LDs as we speak, are good for at the very least between 30 and 40 seats taking account of tactical voting.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 639
    nico679 said:

What is the Israeli-approved terminology? The family...
    "Has been helped"?
    "Reportedly has many members who are missing"?
    "Had some members who were known to have been sheltering terrorists"?
    "Had some members who were known to have engaged in terrorist activities and other members who may have died in the course of the IDF's efforts to minimise civilian casualties, casualties which cannot be avoided altogether because of ... [something to with terrorists, Chamasss, cleansing, objectives, etc.]"?

The Israelis have been bulldozing family homes of resistance members for years.
  • Options
    Leon said:

God Save the King!

Seriously. Please save him. We don’t need the royal family on the verge of collapsing. Also on a human level

In more important news: I can report that @TimS is right: the craft beer revolution has definitely hit France. The Leclerc hyper market here in Crozon has half an entire aisle of them - IPAs, wheat beers, fruit beers, loads

extraordinary selection. And yet only 3 or 4 cognacs and kind of hidden away like they are eggnog

Calvados would be the thing to go for in Brittany surely. Presumably?

No doubt there are artisanal distilleries to be had.

When one visits Wick and wants something spiritual, one doesn't reach for the Gilbeys. One tries one of the Pulteney single malts.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,597
    Leon said:

God Save the King!

That's not new - they've consumed a lot more Scotch than brandy for many years. It's a key market, mainly for malts. Also one of the few non-UK countries to support a Scotch whisky magazine.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    I called out the New York Post article last night as probable BS and so it proved.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447
    We couldn't be this lucky. Could we?

Pippa Crerar

@PippaCrerar
    ·
    1h
    In a sign of how febrile the atmosphere in Westminster is just now, there have been wild rumours flying around today that Rishi Sunak is planning to finally call an election on Monday. Read on

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1783900006157615453
  • Options

Leon said:

God Save the King!

That's not new - they've consumed a lot more Scotch than brandy for many years. It's a key market, mainly for malts. Also one of the few non-UK countries to support a Scotch whisky magazine.
    Indeed. I remember being told this when I did a tour of the cognac region for the gazette years ago. The French have lost the taste

But I’ve never seen it reduced to such total obscurity in a huge and rich hyper market. They had as many brands of bourbon whisky easily
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

nico679 said:

Yes you do. Can you name any non-royalists who are happy about it?
    Me! I don't want Charles to have a bad prognosis.

Although tbf I'm not fussed about seeing him do royal duties.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447

The Guardian
    @guardian
    Liz Truss book enters bestseller list in 70th place with 2,228 copies sold
  • Options

We couldn't be this lucky. Could we?

Pippa Crerar

@PippaCrerar
    ·
    1h
    In a sign of how febrile the atmosphere in Westminster is just now, there have been wild rumours flying around today that Rishi Sunak is planning to finally call an election on Monday. Read on

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1783900006157615453

Maybe Watson has given the nod that Rayner is to be charged.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    I think I understand about the gilet thing.

Do a google image search for "gilet" and 50% of the images returned look like blue blooded poshos who like hunting poor people for sport. The other 50% look like they hang out around bus stations and deal crack.

It's one of those bizarre nexus points where the upper and working classes meet over comfort and utility, and the striving middle look and feel self conscious and unsure about whether or not what they're wearing is a status signifier.