Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer is expected to be better than Johnson et al – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,695
edited April 19 in General
Starmer is expected to be better than Johnson et al – politicalbetting.com

New @YouGov poll shows voters think Starmer will be a better PM than Truss, Johnson, Sunak.Worse than Blair. Same or worse than Brown/Cameron.?Politics Without The Boring Bits?https://t.co/YcKI1gz6Yy from 10am?Podcast https://t.co/TZLQPzUm2V pic.twitter.com/5DGAtyTouS

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,089
    unlikely first
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Scott_xP said:

unlikely first

I demand a recount!
  • Options
    @Phil_Lewis_

Tesla is recalling all 3,878 Cybertrucks that it has shipped to date, due to a problem where the accelerator pedal can get stuck, putting drivers at risk of a crash
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,109
    Labour’s campaign slogan: “boot them out”

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,536
    Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

Tesla is recalling all 3,878 Cybertrucks that it has shipped to date, due to a problem where the accelerator pedal can get stuck, putting drivers at risk of a crash

I was thinking about getting a Cybertruck.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

They could rebrand them as mobile battery packs.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,536
    100% agree.

a guy got removed from our flight today and it's incredible how much it brought us all together. they should kick one person off every flight to build cohesion and morale for the passengers and crew. they can be a paid actor or whatever, they just have to cause a scene

https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1781180257120534596
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,560

Cowboy Keir.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110

He looks ridiculous.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

In Sheffield?

https://t.co/HrctRajtsC
  • Options
    The weekly average is back again. No real movement since before Easter.

The Reform increase in the polls has plateaued over the past month.

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477
    30% of all voters would be satisfied with a Con victory?

That's much higher than most polls have for Con voting intention - interesting that. Is there hope of squeezing a good chunk of e.g. Refuk afterall?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,759

Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

You can't drive them on public roads over here.
  • Options
    WillG said:

He looks ridiculous.
    I have a pair of boots not dissimilar (visually at least, but scruffier and with steel toe caps and sole protection) but I wear them only with builder's trousers and some scraggy old t-shirt or jumper when doing mucky/hazardous jobs outside.

Perhaps Starmer feels he needs protection in case he has to meet a voter or something?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

I noted that a week back.
    It has a poorly secured flimsy-ass cover which can slide forward and get caught under the carpeting. And the stainless steel rusts.

What with their rumoured cancellation of a cheaper model (which basically cedes the mass market to competitors for the next few years), I wouldn't touch the stock.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,706
    Starmer seems to have got himself into the "he'll do" box. The reliable middle aged man with a solid career who's not particularly exciting and whilst he scrubs up reasonably well you wouldn't have looked twice at him in your 20s. But he'll be a good father to your children and won't run off with someone else like the last toerag did.
  • Options

Labour leadership takes unexpected turn to the left?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,383

100% agree.

a guy got removed from our flight today and it's incredible how much it brought us all together. they should kick one person off every flight to build cohesion and morale for the passengers and crew. they can be a paid actor or whatever, they just have to cause a scene

https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1781180257120534596

Use of a scapegoat is often derided as being unedifying victimisation, but perhaps there's something in it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,412
    edited April 19
    Excellent oysters at Sheekeys. Two dozen natives, Irish, and Fines de Claires. With a friend who, it turns out, is dating someone rather famous

He's also ex SAS and has friends out in Ukraine and they say Ukraine is going to lose
  • Options
    edited April 19

The weekly average is back again. No real movement since before Easter.

The Reform increase in the polls has plateaued over the past month.

Always interesting to look at the obvious mirror patterns where there are negative correlations between parties. Ref-Con is obvious, but eyeball statistical analysis tells me there's also a clearly perceptible Ref-LD swing pattern. The NOTA voter swing. It implies that if Reform decline closer to the election the Lib Dems might benefit. Also likely the case in the locals.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

Rigger boots for the son of a toolmaker! They do look like he means business. Far more practical than TSE's harlequin loafers.

Has the woman on the left politely requested those two trespassers to "get off my land, and don't come back"?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Excellent oysters at Sheekeys. Two dozen natives, Irish, and Fines de Claires. With a friend who, it turns out, is dating someone rather famous

He's also ex SAS and has friends out in Ukraine and they say Ukraine is going to lose

The only time I had a moderately edible razor clam was at Sheekeys. All other occasions they've been rubbery and squeaky like gritty calamari.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,960
    Starmer really needs a hi-viz, construction hat and to be at a building site for those boots.
  • Options

Rigger boots for the son of a toolmaker! They do look like he means business. Far more practical than TSE's harlequin loafers.

Has the woman on the left politely requested those two trespassers to "get off my land, and don't come back"?
    It looks like a frame from Reservoir Dogs remade by a young David Lynch, using circus freaks
  • Options
    WillG said:

He looks ridiculous.
    Unless he's just been told about the local arse kicking contest.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,069
    Leon said:

The like was for the oysters. I had a corking dozen last time I was down there. Love that place.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526
    Leon said:

It looks like a frame from Reservoir Dogs remade by a young David Lynch, using circus freaks
    Though imagine Rishi, Jeremy and Oliver trying to pull of the same look.

Or rather, don't.

Often, being least bad is enough.
  • Options
    Leon said:

**** me, I keep accidentally tuning in to the musings of the love child of William Hickey and Lord Haw Haw.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

The only time I had a moderately edible razor clam was at Sheekeys. All other occasions they've been rubbery and squeaky like gritty calamari.
    Razor clams can be lovely. The best way to eat them is when they are tiny, fried in garlic lemon and parsley, little baby ones. They do it in the Veneto. Mmmmyum
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526
    TimS said:

Starmer seems to have got himself into the "he'll do" box. The reliable middle aged man with a solid career who's not particularly exciting and whilst he scrubs up reasonably well you wouldn't have looked twice at him in your 20s. But he'll be a good father to your children and won't run off with someone else like the last toerag did.

Hasn't that always been his box? Including when he took over the Labour leadership?
  • Options
    "Better than Boris or Liz" is the epitome of damning by faint praise.
  • Options

Leon said:

**** me, I keep accidentally tuning in to the musings of the love child of William Hickey and Lord Haw Haw.
    Well he really is an ex soldier, he has spent months in Ukraine doing security, and he has military colleagues out there right now and they tell him - quite neutrally - that Ukraine is likely to lose, from this point. They reckon that even if the US ammo and artillery arrives, it is probably too late. Putin will attack and bomb Ukraine into suing for a peace that suits Putin. That's what he predicts based on the verdicts of his army buddies presently in Ukraine, and he is better informed than - probably - anyone on this forum (including me)
  • Options

TimS said:

Hasn't that always been his box? Including when he took over the Labour leadership?
    I think there was a time when people had hopes he might be more like Mark Darcy to Boris's Daniel Cleaver. He's more Harold Bishop to the electorate's Madge these days.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,972

I’m looking forward to all the Comment pieces in Builder’s weekly and Navvies Express bemoaning Starmer wearing these boots and making them so uncool.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    This is good stuff from the public. Last thing we want is people expecting miracles but neither do we want them all down in the dumps thinking things will be no better with a brand new, fired up Labour government full of competence and integrity. Guarded optimism is where the mood should be imo and it sounds like it is.
  • Options
    edited April 19
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Well he really is an ex soldier, he has spent months in Ukraine doing security, and he has military colleagues out there right now and they tell him - quite neutrally - that Ukraine is likely to lose, from this point. They reckon that even if the US ammo and artillery arrives, it is probably too late. Putin will attack and bomb Ukraine into suing for a peace that suits Putin. That's what he predicts based on the verdicts of his army buddies presently in Ukraine, and he is better informed than - probably - anyone on this forum (including me)
    Certainly the reports coming from Ukraine at the moment are pretty grim. But, if this is consolation, they do somewhat remind me of the downbeat reports coming from Russian units and Wagner when they were running out of ammunition in 2023.
  • Options
    TRUSS.
  • Options

Leon said:

The like was for the oysters. I had a corking dozen last time I was down there. Love that place.
    I think it is probably my favourite restaurant in the world. I've been going there for decades, it is reliably good, and I adore oysters (and all seafood, but especially oysters). I feel an instant sense of peace as I sit at the bar (always sit at the bar!), then they pour the Albarino, someone arrives with the crusty bread, then come the little wild boar sausages and the mighty platter, a dozen on the half shell, gleaming in the afternoon light, the happy chatter all around, a good friend with good gossip, you dab some Tabasco or some mignonette, the first one slips down your throat.... the salt and savour and zinc and the sea!

Ahhhhhhh. That is happiness. It is stuff like that which makes London hard to entirely leave, despite the Satanic new climate
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

Robert Earnshaw used to drive a big **** off Hummer around these parts.

The $1 accelerator pedal cover that keeps catching on the carpet shows Musk for the cheapskate he is. Remember too, stainless steel means it "stains less" as opposed to doesn't rust. So charging an optional $5,000 for a lacquer coat to prevent the Cybertruck from disintegrating into a pile of rust on your drive is very Austin Allegro.

Steer clear.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Razor clams can be lovely. The best way to eat them is when they are tiny, fried in garlic lemon and parsley, little baby ones. They do it in the Veneto. Mmmmyum
    That's probably been my problem. Razor clams that were too big and grown up.

I had barnacles once in the Azores. Giant ones obviously, but recognisably barnacles like you'd scrape off a boat's hull or a whale's back. They were absolutely delicious.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Certainly the reports coming from Ukraine at the moment are pretty grim. But, if this is consolation, they do somewhat remind me of the downbeat reports coming from Russian units and Wagner when they were running out of ammunition in 2023.
    Yes. I should clarify he doesn't think putin is about to seize Kyiv or Odessa. Attack in this war is as hard for the Russians as it is for Ukrainians. This is a war which favours defenders, the technology has evolved that way

He told me that his friend toured the Russian front line during the Ukrainian counter offensive. He said the Russian defences were ten kilometres deep with multiple different trench networks and drones always hovering, and they hds laid so many mines it stretched creduilty: his friend estimated every square metre had three mines, on average. some tiny and impossible to detect. No one can attack across that, and Ukraine should not have tried, they lost so many men in a futile quest

But Russia will find it equally hard the other way. So my pal's prediction is that Russia will shell and bomb Ukraine - from a distance - until the Ukrainians seek a truce, and Putin will get to keep what he's got. For now
  • Options

TimS said:

Starmer has cleared the bar of "Can people picture him as PM?" (yes)

The last 2 Labour leaders didn't manage this for one reason or another.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I think it is probably my favourite restaurant in the world. I've been going there for decades, it is reliably good, and I adore oysters (and all seafood, but especially oysters). I feel an instant sense of peace as I sit at the bar (always sit at the bar!), then they pour the Albarino, someone arrives with the crusty bread, then come the little wild boar sausages and the mighty platter, a dozen on the half shell, gleaming in the afternoon light, the happy chatter all around, a good friend with good gossip, you dab some Tabasco or some mignonette, the first one slips down your throat.... the salt and savour and zinc and the sea!

Ahhhhhhh. That is happiness. It is stuff like that which makes London hard to entirely leave, despite the Satanic new climate
    The food is reliably good but it's the atmosphere of the place that makes it. Always a vibe
  • Options
    edited April 19
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

I had barnacles once in the Azores. Giant ones obviously, but recognisably barnacles like you'd scrape off a boat's hull or a whale's back. They were absolutely delicious.
    This is exactly where I had them. In Chioggia, and they were tiny, and briskly fried. Exquisite

"The first time I ate razor clams was as a child on holiday in Chioggia, near Venice, and it's a flavour that has stayed with me since that first awe-inspiring plateful. They're usually sold in bunches, with an elastic band holding them tightly together to prevent the foot and the siphon coming out of the shells. Unlike all other clams, razor clams permanently gape open at both ends - a good way to tell if they're fresh is to tickle the foot, which should retract straight away; if there is no sign of life, don't buy them.

I love these clams, and enjoy cooking them in many ways. The very small ones we used to have in Chioggia were eaten raw with some lemon juice or, as they do in the Orkneys, grilled for a minute or so, maybe with some herbs and lemon or breadcrumbs."

MMMM

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2006/oct/07/foodanddrink.shopping4

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Last time was was at Godwins in Bartestree the boys there were saying if we keep the ammunition coming the Ukrainians will do the business. If they run out of hardware and munitions that's when they are against the wall.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

The best way is to catch your own, and eat them on the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tLY7eJM7ZA

I'm a bit far from the beach for that, but one thing Morrisons do do is frozen - and sometimes fresh, razor clams.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,474
    While we are plugging Times podcasts, their investigative The Story series has a new one on Mark Menzies MP, the thinking man's Angela Rayner gate.

Investigation: The Tory MP who allegedly demanded campaign cash to pay ‘bad people’
    The call came in the dead of night. “Are you on your own?” the man said. “I’ve got in with some bad people and they’ve locked me in a flat and they want £5,000 to release me.” The caller was Mark Menzies, the Conservative MP for Fylde in Lancashire. The Times investigation reveals a litany of allegations involving sex, drugs and a drunk dog. Mark Menzies disputes all the allegations, and says he “fully complied with all the rules for declarations.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/podcasts/the-story
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

The food is reliably good but it's the atmosphere of the place that makes it. Always a vibe
    Yes! There is a magic to the vibe

The seafood is actually better at Bentleys or Scotts, but Sheeks has that theatreland buzz
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057

Rigger boots? If he hasn't got the correct qualifications, surely they're dogging boots?

https://www.falconcranes.com.au/dogman-vs-rigger-whats-the-difference/ ;)
  • Options

Leon said:

It's a trial, isn't it. I'd normally run a mile but here I can't. I'm trapped. We all are.
  • Options

Rigger boots? If he hasn't got the correct qualifications, surely they're dogging boots?

Next he'll be wearing bovver boots as a dog whistle.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It's a trial, isn't it. I'd normally run a mile but here I can't. I'm trapped. We all are.
    I enjoyed your super-insecure and culturally nervous James Joyce joust with @TOPPING, if that's any help?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,350
    edited April 19

Please tell me that is a mock up and that he doesn't really wear boots like that.

And does Ange own both those houses or only 1 of them?
  • Options
    boulay said:

I’m looking forward to all the Comment pieces in Builder’s weekly and Navvies Express bemoaning Starmer wearing these boots and making them so uncool.
    I see your point. I am conflicted as to whether it works in a Utility Company Field Manager kind of way or not. It's definitely not a slam dunk Adidas Samba with an Yves St Laurent suit moment.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,960
    Could there be a Pincher-esque scandal that Labour are hiding behind via a ‘long term inquiry’. Someone appointed to a senior position despite lots of rumours etc
  • Options

Hang on a minute, I'll just check with Stan Colleymore.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    MattW said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

The best way is to catch your own, and eat them on the beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tLY7eJM7ZA

I'm a bit far from the beach for that, but one thing Morrisons do do is frozen - and sometimes fresh, razor clams.
    Trigger warning: Do not watch if Lloyd Evans; you may need to go for a massage.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Please tell me that is a mock up and that he doesn't really wear boots like that.

The woman on the left is actually floating.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Always wanted to try them. Googling suggests:

Tinned:

https://www.thetinnedfishmarket.com/products/goose-barnacles

Fresh, but out of stock:

https://www.thefishsociety.co.uk/collections/goosenecks
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717
    isam said:

Could there be a Pincher-esque scandal that Labour are hiding behind via a ‘long term inquiry’. Someone appointed to a senior position despite lots of rumours etc

There could be lots of things.

Is there any evidence of something? No.
  • Options
    isam said:

You have to give more of a subtle hint than that.

Have you reported it to James Daly yet?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,237

"So if you live at 62, but say you live at 60, how much shit will you get in in 10 years time?"
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I enjoyed your super-insecure and culturally nervous James Joyce joust with @TOPPING, if that's any help?
    Yes well who can blame me. People being snobby and supercilious and obnoxious. Wears you down.
  • Options

"So if you live at 62, but say you live at 60, how much shit will you get in in 10 years time?"
    I think it's a non-story, but I can still laugh about it...
  • Options
    TimS said:

DavidL said:

The woman on the left is actually floating.
    Meeting SKS has that effect, I believe :wink:
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Starmer appears to have a semi in that picture. Not that I was looking, y'understand.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,237

It ought to be a non-story but an enormous amount of police time and money seems to be being spent on it. Apparently. I hope no-one in Manchester gets burgled and is told no-one is available...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Yes well who can blame me. People being snobby and supercilious and obnoxious. Wears you down.
    It's just an online forum, don't let it get to you
  • Options

It ought to be a non-story but an enormous amount of police time and money seems to be being spent on it. Apparently. I hope no-one in Manchester gets burgled and is told no-one is available...
    I mean, it's hardly unique in that, is it? Going the other way, Plebgate was may times worse, both in terms of the original 'offence' and the police's lies.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,275
    Quick G&T before boarding at Stansted Wetherspoons..

• Options

enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Starmer really needs a hi-viz, construction hat and to be at a building site for those boots.

But it shows his growing confidence that he'd risk something like this - even if it looks a bit silly. Shades of Boris and the tripwire.
  • Options

Ah. Aren't you doing the Santaigo trail?
  • Options
    edited April 19

I mean, it's hardly unique in that, is it? Going the other way, Plebgate was may times worse, both in terms of the original 'offence' and the police's lies.
    It must be serious, 12 detectives are flat out on the case day and night.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,275
    Leon said:

I am, but from Santiago to France
  • Options

It must be serious, 12 detectives are flat out on the case day and night.
    All our detective TV shows are po-faced and serious, with teams of detectives hunting serial killers, terrorists, etc.

Where's the detective show that follows the detectives who get the doss cases investigating historical cases of electoral fraud?
  • Options
    edited April 19
    This is NOT an AI post, this is an actual politics and betting post, relating to tech

Check this fake video, made from one single virtual photo of a non existent human, and a three second clip of audio. Now from that Microsoft can make almost completely convincing fake video, saying whatever words they want her to say

The next elections are going to be flooded with this tech, with deepfakes, with scenes of politicians saying shit they didn't say, or stuff they should have said, or Putin saying he sexually loves Ed Davey, and it will be entirely convincing (because, even if you can just spot the odd tiny glitch in this video, the tech is only going to get better and better)

The first vid of the blonde woman is particularly WOW

https://x.com/OrctonAI/status/1781333110681923781

My takeaway from this, for politics and betting is that the side with the most credulous voters will gain. One suspects that is Trump voters in the USA
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

So not so much self driving as self "rapid unscheduled dis-assembling"?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Surely there’s some wider context to this piece of footage, and a Met Police sargeant didn’t actually threaten to arrest a man for “being openly Jewish in a public place”?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/19/police-threaten-jewish-man-arrest-palestine-protest-london/
  • Options
    Leon said:

This is NOT an AI post, this is an actual politics and betting post, relating to tech

Check this fake video, made from one single virtual photo of a non existent human, and a three second clip of audio. Now from that Microsoft can make almost completely convincing fake video, saying whatever words they want her to say

The next elections are going to be flooded with this tech, with deepfakes, with scenes of politicians saying shit they didn't say, or stuff they should have said, or Putin saying he sexually loves Ed Davey, and it will be entirely convincing (because, even if you can just spot the odd tiny glitch in this video, the tech is only going to get better and better)

The first vid of the blonde woman is particularly WOW

https://x.com/OrctonAI/status/1781333110681923781

My takeaway from this, for politics and betting is that the side with the most credulous voters will gain. One suspects that is Trump voters in the USA

This sort of thing is great for stirring up outrage in general, so you could see a malign actor - like Russia - using it to stir up greater division on both sides.

And then it hardly matters who wins the actual vote. There will be so little common ground left that the political process will be broken.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,791
    "Charlotte Henry
    Why do Lib Dems want to crack down on smoking but legalise cannabis?"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-do-lib-dems-want-to-crack-down-on-smoking-but-legalise-cannabis/
  • Options

Leon said:

I am, but from Santiago to France
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    I like that the opinion poll gives choices of Satisfied, Unsatisfied or Not Bothered.

Makes me think of Tony Blair and Catherine Tate.

https://youtu.be/sfkjvagVsRI?feature=shared
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Surely there’s some wider context to this piece of footage, and a Met Police sargeant didn’t actually threaten to arrest a man for “being openly Jewish in a public place”?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/19/police-threaten-jewish-man-arrest-palestine-protest-london/

Are we sure it's not AI-generated?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    :innocent:

• Options
    Moment Copenhagen stock exchange facade collapses

Copenhagen's historic old stock exchange building collapsed on Thursday, days after being engulfed in flames.

The 17th Century building was one of the Danish capital's oldest buildings, and had been undergoing renovation work when the fire broke out."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-68823716
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It's just an online forum, don't let it get to you
    Ok. I'm stroking my cat now anyway.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

I have the Rivian R1T. It's truly great: fantastic mileage, super refined, able to haul lots of shit.

Should they ever come to the UK, and should you not live in a city, I would highly recommend.
  • Options

TRUSS.

Two unexpected articles to find in the New Statesman.

"Liberals shouldn’t jeer Liz Truss
    The former prime minister’s arguments and ideas are set to shape the right’s future – they need to be taken seriously.
    By Lewis Goodall"

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2024/04/liberals-shouldnt-jeer-liz-truss

"Liz Truss is right about the Deep State
    Among the ridiculous complaints, excuses and conspiracies, the ex-prime minister makes one important point.
    By Will Dunn"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/morning-call/2024/04/liz-truss-is-right-about-the-deep-state
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    isam said:

Is that a question? Rhetorical perhaps?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,907
    "STARMER IS EXPECTED TO BE BETTER THAN JOHNSON ET AL"
    Damned by faint praise!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

@Phil_Lewis_

I have the Rivian R1T. It's truly great: fantastic mileage, super refined, able to haul lots of shit.

Should they ever come to the UK, and should you not live in a city, I would highly recommend.
    With a 149 kWh battery pack you could use one to temporarily restore power to communities cut off the grid during storms.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,907
    Andy_JS said:

"Charlotte Henry
    Why do Lib Dems want to crack down on smoking but legalise cannabis?"

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/why-do-lib-dems-want-to-crack-down-on-smoking-but-legalise-cannabis/

Someone who posesses tabacco is not comitting a crime. Someone who posesses canabis is. That is a big difference.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Well that 'New Labour, New Danger' post and the AI-generated SKS reboot has been a disturbing blast from the past for a Friday afternoon. Cheers!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    edited April 19
    Andy_JS said:

Moment Copenhagen stock exchange facade collapses

Copenhagen's historic old stock exchange building collapsed on Thursday, days after being engulfed in flames.

The 17th Century building was one of the Danish capital's oldest buildings, and had been undergoing renovation work when the fire broke out."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-68823716

Renovation work appears to be when old structures are at their greatest danger. Notre Dame, Cutty Sark…when the Great Fire of London broke out, one of the things that did for the vast stone edifice of Old St Paul’s was the wooden scaffolding covering it. A century of neglect since the Reformation, Civil War etc (and a lightning strike that took down the steeple) had left it in a dangerous condition.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes. I should clarify he doesn't think putin is about to seize Kyiv or Odessa. Attack in this war is as hard for the Russians as it is for Ukrainians. This is a war which favours defenders, the technology has evolved that way

He told me that his friend toured the Russian front line during the Ukrainian counter offensive. He said the Russian defences were ten kilometres deep with multiple different trench networks and drones always hovering, and they hds laid so many mines it stretched creduilty: his friend estimated every square metre had three mines, on average. some tiny and impossible to detect. No one can attack across that, and Ukraine should not have tried, they lost so many men in a futile quest

But Russia will find it equally hard the other way. So my pal's prediction is that Russia will shell and bomb Ukraine - from a distance - until the Ukrainians seek a truce, and Putin will get to keep what he's got. For now
    The German refusal to provide Taurus, along with the MAGA hold up in the US, really doing Putin's work for him.
    I do wonder though, if the new realism from some NATO members, partic the Nordics and Czechs, plus Johnson finally steering through the US package might change things. The F16s will eventually arrive too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited April 19
    Starmer clearly does not enthuse voters as much as Blair but does not turn them off as much as Corbyn did either.

Note only Cameron, Brown and Blair are seeing as better PMs than Starmer would be relative to how Starmer does against Sunak.

Over a quarter of voters think Starmer would be a worse PM than Cameron too and nearly a third worse than Blair
  • Options
    The Met threatening to arrest Jews for the crime of being "openly Jewish" is disgusting. The Met is not fit for purpose.

Would they threaten to arrest Muslims for being "openly Muslim" near a BNP or whatever they call themselves nowadays rally?

If racists mean any individual isn't safe to be themselves, it's the racists that need tackling not telling people they're not free to be openly on the streets.