Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The thinnest of thin gruels – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,690
edited April 28 in General
The thinnest of thin gruels – politicalbetting.com

Jo Coburn: What crime do you think Angela Rayner committed?James Daly(Tory MP): We should allow the police investigation to proceedJC: But what do you think she's done?JD: We should allow them to carry out that investigationJC: What's the offense?#PoliticsLive pic.twitter.com/Z1rgXYsGxo

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    edited April 16
    Oh the laws of defamation.

We should try free speech sometime.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024
    Raynergate. Oh baby!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    edited April 16
    DavidL said:

Some have much louder voices than others though. Can you imagine what the tabloid press would get up to without the defamation laws?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502

DavidL said:

Some have much louder voices than others though. Can you imagine what the tabloid press would get up to without the defamation laws?
    Lord McAlpine has entered the chat.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,459
    DavidL said:

There are always limits to free speech. Shouting “Fire” in theatres etc.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,435
    DavidL said:

What's defamation to do with the price of fish?
  • Options
    FPT because this is the most significant political intelligence of the decade...

The Rest is Entertainment (not TRI Politics) on the relationship between TV viewing and voting based on data from More In Common.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_ByqfG2R4&t=1734s

In 2019, Conservatives had Strictly and IACGMOOH. Now Labour lead in both, so Keir Starmer will win. No more spoilers.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    DavidL said:

Innocent face.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Well, if had been foolish enough to answer the question put to him by, for example, alleging that there had been some evasion of tax she could sue him if that turned out not to be an accurate statement of fact.

As the interviewer knew full well of course.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,180
    I noticed at the weekend that Rayner's noisy ex-assistant's payoff when he became an ex included an NDA (didn't appear to apply to commenting on her housing arrangements). Is this standard with this type of thing nowadays?
  • Options
    Interesting that R&W have Andy Street trailing by 14% for WM Mayor while the Cons at the GE are 28% down in the WM. That is a comparison with London where the Mayor is also notably under-performing his party's GE position.

I had assumed it was down to the unpopularity of Sadiq Khan but perhaps I was looking at it the wrong way. In fact what we are looking at is the depth of Con unpopularity at national level compared to local level. A little bit of hope for the Cons in the Locals perhaps but given the low level of Con performance in 2022 and 2023 Locals it could easily be overstated.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    Has anyone ever had gruel? I haven't, and I don't know anyone that has. And you don't often see it in restaurants these days, as a main or even a starter - "Gruel"

Also, why don't they just thicken it a bit? With some cornflour? Does it have to be thin? The gruel industry just needs some imagination and it could make a major comeback
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502

I noticed at the weekend that Rayner's noisy ex-assistant's payoff when he became an ex included an NDA (didn't appear to apply to commenting on her housing arrangements). Is this standard with this type of thing nowadays?

Depends on the NDA, you might be limited on discussing why you left her employment but you can discuss other parts of when you worked for her.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,319
    edited April 16

NDAs do seem to be standard, yes, which is an effing outrage.

They should be strictly limited in time and extent to only what is necessary - development of a new product, for example.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,805
    Leon said:

Has anyone ever had gruel? I haven't, and I don't know anyone that has. And you don't often see it in restaurants these days, as a main or even a starter - "Gruel"

Also, why don't they just thicken it a bit? With some cornflour? Does it have to be thin? The gruel industry just needs some imagination and it could make a major comeback

Anyone who has been to prison and been fed thin porridge in the morning would qualify; likewise, for instance, boarding school alumni/alumnae, Royal Navy matelots, etc. etc. Perhaps above a certain age.

No idea if it is in the modern menu of MoD contractors, though.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,455
    edited April 16
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well, if had been foolish enough to answer the question put to him by, for example, alleging that there had been some evasion of tax she could sue him if that turned out not to be an accurate statement of fact.

Is there not a way of phrasing it though without getting sued and without looking like a complete numpty?

"My concern was that she may have [whatever the hell she is supposed to have done], which is why I think it is appropriate that the police investigate fully to establish whether this is in fact the case."

Or do I have a touchingly naïve view of our libel laws?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,672
    DavidL said:

The laws of defamation don't require you to say "a complaint was made" when you mean "I made a complaint".
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,748
    Leon said:

Sure I have. It's a breakfast staple across much of Asia.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,024
    Leon said:

A medium-bodied, lightly salted gruel would likely be a winner in the FMCG segment. One to ponder.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

What I don't understand in all this is - what's the legal difference between saying that to DCI Plod and to Ms Coburn? Or is the critical bit where the phone call is made from?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,256
    I'm not clear on this Rayner business either. Dodging CGT on the sale of a property - I thought this is what she's being accused of. A matter between her and HMRC. So what are the police looking at?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,763
    FPT - thread:

By popular demand: Flow of the Vote, Scotland edition. Each block represents 25k voters in colour of 2019 vote, based on data from all Scottish polls this year.

Much like the Tories GB-wide, the SNP's vote has splintered in multiple directions, Labour the ultimate beneficiary.

https://x.com/Dylan_Difford/status/1780140319385756075
  • Options
    Leon said:

If you thicken it you couldn't drink it.
    Gruel is a food consisting of some type of cereal—such as ground oats, wheat, rye, or rice—heated or boiled in water or milk. It is a thinner version of porridge that may be more often drunk rather than eaten. ..

Think of it as a very boring smoothie.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Anyone who has been to prison and been fed thin porridge in the morning would qualify; likewise, for instance, boarding school alumni/alumnae, Royal Navy matelots, etc. etc. Perhaps above a certain age.

My Angus grandad used to prepare me brose which was essentially boiling water over oats in a cup, perhaps a pinch of salt, sugar and Istr cinammon. Would that count?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Our primary school had us make gruel, and then eat it. I can confirm that thick gruel is no less unpleasant than thin gruel.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,998
    kinabalu said:

I'm not clear on this Rayner business either. Dodging CGT on the sale of a property - I thought this is what she's being accused of. A matter between her and HMRC. So what are the police looking at?

You have election fraud (although that is well and truely time expired).

Reality is James Daly should be charged with wasting police time and sued for the money spent
  • Options
    Leon said:

It can be transformed with a sprinkling of blueberries.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

A consideration which seems to have left the owners and moderators of this site entirely untroubled.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,830

NDAs do seem to be standard, yes, which is an effing outrage.

They should be strictly limited in time and extent to only what is necessary - development of a new product, for example.
    When I was made redundant, in 2012, I signed a "compromise agreement" which I think amounts to the same thing as an NDA. I got £100 for it!
    NDAs/compromise agreements cut both ways though, it prevents the employer saying bad things, even if true, about the employee too.
  • Options

FPT - thread:

By popular demand: Flow of the Vote, Scotland edition. Each block represents 25k voters in colour of 2019 vote, based on data from all Scottish polls this year.

Much like the Tories GB-wide, the SNP's vote has splintered in multiple directions, Labour the ultimate beneficiary.

"Preliminary research suggests voting for 'other' parties is highly protective against death within 4.5 years. Being too young to vote in 2019 also highly protective." :wink:
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Selebian said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Is there not a way of phrasing it though without getting sued and without looking like a complete numpty?

"My concern was that she may have [whatever the hell she is supposed to have done], which is why I think it is appropriate that the police investigate fully to establish whether this is in fact the case."

Or do I have a touchingly naïve view of our libel laws?
    Not in this particular case.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    Leon said:

I found out yesterday that it was on the Titanic's menu
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

Last time I ate in Garrard Street of an evening, the Chinese chaps at the next table were lapping up b ig bowls of what looked like rice gruel with bits of things like spring onions, prawns, pork etc. etc. in it.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    On topic, I don't know if this has already been posted (probably, knowing pbc), but it's spot on so it's worth repeating even if so.

https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1780130294927970414
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

They need to rebrand it. Supergruel - the ultimate fuel

Gruelina, mixed with spirulina

Same goes for "broken meats"
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

You have election fraud (although that is well and truely time expired).

Reality is James Daly should be charged with wasting police time and sued for the money spent
    Election fraud? How so? (allegedly).
  • Options
    Selebian said:

FPT - thread:

"Preliminary research suggests voting for 'other' parties is highly protective against death within 4.5 years. Being too young to vote in 2019 also highly protective." :wink:
    I also wondered how theyt got to ask the deceased voters how they voted.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Humble Pie seems quite popular.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932
    edited April 16
    Going back to the weather, on the rainfall totals we're definitely (YTD) the wettest (England, Wales) since 1818 but that year doesn't have daily data so not sure if we're ahead to date.
    1937 could well overtake us in the next couple of days though.

Both those years ended up with 94 and 96 cm of rain respectively though, so you never know this year may end up dry(ish) after all !
  • Options
    edited April 16

FPT because this is the most significant political intelligence of the decade...

The Rest is Entertainment (not TRI Politics) on the relationship between TV viewing and voting based on data from More In Common.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh_ByqfG2R4&t=1734s

In 2019, Conservatives had Strictly and IACGMOOH. Now Labour lead in both, so Keir Starmer will win. No more spoilers.

At the end, Richard Osman suggests the parties could do worse than consult television producers about what attracts audiences.

Thinking about it, New Labour had Peter Mandelson. Mrs Thatcher had playwrights like Ronald Harwood and advertising executives. Winston Churchill had Alexander Korda and Lord Beaverbrook (and also took advice from Cambridge-educated non-lawyer and BBC radio producer Guy Burgess).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,932
    Who here remembers the winter & spring of 1818 ? Back when @JackW was a boy I think.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

How did you find that out as a matter of interest?
  • Options
    Dramatic fall in hate in Scotland.
    Alternatively the moronic timewasters have no stamina.

• Options
    I get the same vibe with mess of pottage. I can't remember the last time I had a decent mess of pottage, when dining out. It's weird how that goes. One day everyone is eating endless messes of pottage, then a month later, it's all smashed avos on sourdough

• Options

DavidL said:

Or in front of a firing squad.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731

On topic, I don't know if this has already been posted (probably, knowing pbc), but it's spot on so it's worth repeating even if so.

Yes but you might want to consider the below for a fuller picture:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/02/19/help-labour-succeed-ex-tory-minister-nick-boles/
  • Options

A couple of the replies to that don't seem too concerned about our libel laws, either.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Stocky said:

Yes but you might want to consider the below for a fuller picture:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/02/19/help-labour-succeed-ex-tory-minister-nick-boles/
    I don't think that adds anything to the picture, other than - at most - the sign-off sentence. Are any of the facts in Boles' letter in question?
  • Options
    Liz Truss. It occurs to me that she became Prime Minister on the back of a broken Brexit deal because as Trade Secretary it was her job to roll over EU trade deals with various countries, possibly tweaking them to our disadvantage.

The point was that amidst the chaos of Brexit and later Covid, Liz Truss was regularly in the papers with triumphant headlines as each trade deal was signed. Whoever had that job would have been a frontrunner for Downing Street.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

What I don't understand in all this is - what's the legal difference between saying that to DCI Plod and to Ms Coburn? Or is the critical bit where the phone call is made from?
    I don't think there is one. I defended a defamation action in Inverness where the pursuer was claiming he had been defamed when the defender made an allegation of illegal conduct by him to the police. He lost, but not on the ground that there was some absolute privilege that applied.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I get the same vibe with mess of pottage. I can't remember the last time I had a decent mess of pottage, when dining out. It's weird how that goes. One day everyone is eating endless messes of pottage, then a month later, it's all smashed avos on sourdough

My daughter's primary school made her class cook pottage, and they had to be in Tudor dress for the experience. A definite step up on gruel in my view, but sort of in the way that having a finger amputated is preferable to losing a hand.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

My Angus grandad used to prepare me brose which was essentially boiling water over oats in a cup, perhaps a pinch of salt, sugar and Istr cinammon. Would that count?
    Probably not, with sugar and all, counts as pampering. Especially the Athole variety.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The association with Victorian poorhouses is the problem. I don't think anything associated with Victorian poorhouses has ever managed to reinvent itself as a desirable consumer product.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I don't think there is one. I defended a defamation action in Inverness where the pursuer was claiming he had been defamed when the defender made an allegation of illegal conduct by him to the police. He lost, but not on the ground that there was some absolute privilege that applied.
    Thanks, that's interesting. Not what I had expected.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,459
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

?

So you could, in theory, see the police sued for defamation, when they request an arrest warrant?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Last time I ate in Garrard Street of an evening, the Chinese chaps at the next table were lapping up b ig bowls of what looked like rice gruel with bits of things like spring onions, prawns, pork etc. etc. in it.
    Congee ?

The Koreans have a similar rice dish, juk (죽), but it's usually more of a porridge consistency.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,270
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Gruel is a food consisting of some type of cereal—such as ground oats, wheat, rye, or rice—heated or boiled in water or milk. It is a thinner version of porridge that may be more often drunk rather than eaten. ..

I’m reminded about Grape Nuts. They have been extremely popular as a breakfast cereal in the US. The one thing you can say about Grape Nuts is that they contain neither grapes nor nuts.

https://www.mashed.com/371854/the-untold-truth-of-grape-nuts/

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Probably not, with sugar and all, counts as pampering. Especially the Athole variety.
    I guess so. That were luxury in 1970s Brechin.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The association with Victorian poorhouses is the problem. I don't think anything associated with Victorian poorhouses has ever managed to reinvent itself as a desirable consumer product.
    Surely that's not true? Plenty of buyers for Dickens's novel and the spin-off play, film, and CD. (And I do recommend Ruth Richardson's modern history.)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Or in front of a firing squad.
    Self-limiting - you'd only do it once.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

That (broken meats) is just leftovers. Often consumed in our household.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,473
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It can't have been that bad, or Oliver Twist wouldn't have asked for more of it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,083

Liz Truss. It occurs to me that she became Prime Minister on the back of a broken Brexit deal because as Trade Secretary it was her job to roll over EU trade deals with various countries, possibly tweaking them to our disadvantage.

The point was that amidst the chaos of Brexit and later Covid, Liz Truss was regularly in the papers with triumphant headlines as each trade deal was signed. Whoever had that job would have been a frontrunner for Downing Street.

It could have been Liam Fox.
  • Options

Weren't most of the initial blizzard of referrals 'LOL' ones targeted at Yousaf himself?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Congee ?

The Koreans have a similar rice dish, juk (죽), but it's usually more of a porridge consistency.
    That's it, I think.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,864
    If Manchester police can’t charge Rayner with an electoral law offense because of the time limit then what exactly are they investigating.

Or is this just a performative exercise to get Daly to stfu !
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It can't have been that bad, or Oliver Twist wouldn't have asked for more of it.
    It was slightly more nutritious than the local water, and safer (having been boiled).
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,997
    edited April 16

The people who thought they could get the collars felt of those that disagreed with them, have found out that they can’t.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

That (broken meats) is just leftovers. Often consumed in our household.
    Same here. Very big on leftovers. Often taste better that way.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m reminded about Grape Nuts. They have been extremely popular as a breakfast cereal in the US. The one thing you can say about Grape Nuts is that they contain neither grapes nor nuts.

"created in Battle Creek, Michigan, by Charles W Post, who also thought up the rather unusual name" (that's from memory - I was big into them as a kid once I graduated from soggy rice krispies or cornflakes). Haven't had them in years, though.
  • Options
    edited April 16
    kinabalu said:

Weren't most of the initial blizzard of referrals 'LOL' ones targeted at Yousaf himself?
    And Rowling I believe, who can leave no scene unmartyred.
    The complaints against Humza were condign punishment for daring to bring in this legislation (with SLab and the LDs of course), while the complaints against Rowling were just the latest torrent of vile abuse against a woman much sinned against.
    Or so I have read.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

"created in Battle Creek, Michigan, by Charles W Post, who also thought up the rather unusual name" (that's from memory - I was big into them as a kid once I graduated from soggy rice krispies or cornflakes). Haven't had them in years, though.
    Head to the cereal aisle of any supermarket.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,346
    Selebian said:

Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I have them most days as a top-up to muesli (I only need sandals and I can qualify to be a LibDem). They're amazingly expensive for the small packets, but still quite distinctive.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

?

So you could, in theory, see the police sued for defamation, when they request an arrest warrant?
    They would have a defence of carrying out a public duty pf investigating a complaint but if the application for the arrest warrant, for example, was malicious, then yes. Of course one of the problems with actions based on this is that the level of public disclosure is of course minimal (since the police have a duty to be discreet) making any damages notional. If you made a false allegation that got to trial, however, that might be different. So there is a potential civil remedy if someone is falsely accused of rape, for example.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Heathener said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

That’s right.

They became very popular again (in the US) during the pandemic. Comfort food I guess?

Also used in ice cream.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,661

Leon said:

My daughter's primary school made her class cook pottage, and they had to be in Tudor dress for the experience. A definite step up on gruel in my view, but sort of in the way that having a finger amputated is preferable to losing a hand.
    Is it related in any way to Pease Pudding (hot, cold, or 9-day aged)?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    First heard the word "gruel" when we sang the songs to "Oliver!" at primary school.

I don't think it was on the school dinner menu, though!
  • Options
    "National Conservative German Workers' Party" :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68826577
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Pease pudding is fairly solid stuff - think really thick lentil soup, the kind that you can turn out of the bowl when it's cold.
    https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2020/04/mums-pease-pudding-recipe.html
  • Options
    Just got canvassed (Lab) for the N Yorks Mayoral election.

Canvasser reckons they have a good chance (do canvassers ever say anything else?)

Can't see it myself, but might test it, depending on the other candidates.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

No. The clue is in the name. It is pretty bloody awful though if I remember school dinners correctly; pease pudding was not a fan favourite.
  • Options

First heard the word "gruel" when we sang the songs to "Oliver!" at primary school.

I don't think it was on the school dinner menu, though!

Which neatly leads on a loop back to the limits of free speech. Standing up in a primary school class to teach the kids about the wonders of paedophilia, for example.

Sorry that’s so distasteful but those who blather about limitless free speech don’t stop and think about it. Or perhaps they do, which is considerably worse.
  • Options
    "You’ll note that we’re never in the chamber at the same time… I’m currently dictating to her through an earpiece disguised as a roll-up… she’s repeated every word so far… I might try that Anchor Man thing and see if she just repeats it verbatim…"

https://x.com/timfarron/status/1780234762277281885
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Leon said:

https://x.com/fxmc1957/status/1779414547863937397?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options

TimS said:

Leon said:

No. The clue is in the name. It is pretty bloody awful though if I remember school dinners correctly; pease pudding was not a fan favourite.
    So Pease Pottage (Sussex village and motorway services): pottage, but made with peas(s)? Rather than an archaic name for pease pudding.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,612
    Tory hacks have gone fishing . . . yet again . . .

PB's own isam could & would have done better job than JD (soon-to-be-ex) MP.
  • Options

The people who thought they could get the collars felt of those that disagreed with them, have found out that they can’t.
    Key metric is how much nasty stuff is being said. Will there be less of it? Will the law have its desired chilling effect on the saying of nasty stuff?
  • Options
    The BBC presents an apparently random collection of facts about the Indian election. Good for school projects, I expect.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/2gd2po82go/big-india-election
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,310
    edited April 16
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

So Pease Pottage (Sussex village and motorway services): pottage, but made with peas(s)? Rather than an archaic name for pease pudding.
    Yes, that's right. They used to feed it to prisoners there during the stop-off from London to the court at Lewis.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    edited April 16
    O/T

One of the best writers on popular music, Simon Reynolds, has a new book coming out.

https://twitter.com/SimonRetromania/status/1778467456258093428

"Simon Reynolds
    @SimonRetromania
    My new book Futuromania is out today in the UK via @WhiteRabbitBks! Details at my blog, including the @NTSlive show I just did around the book
    https://blissout.blogspot.com/2024/04/futuromania-out-today.html"

• Options

The BBC presents an apparently random collection of facts about the Indian election. Good for school projects, I expect.

I thought the fall in India's Press Freedom Index rating was probably the most interesting (and worrying) development.
  • Options
    Why is it still allowed to be called Alfa Romeo, then ?

Alfa Romeo Milano Now Named ‘Junior’ Because Of Italian Law Protecting Cheese
    The car will be built in Poland, not Italy, which means it’s not allowed to bear an Italian-sounding name.
    https://insideevs.com/news/716161/alfa-romeo-junior-rename-milano/
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Leon said:

That looks terrific esp for 3rd class. The passengers could have no complaints on that score anyway.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Leon said:

That looks terrific esp for 3rd class. The passengers could have no complaints on that score anyway.
    Bit short on greens.
  • Options

One telling statistic is that they elect 543 MPs with an electorate of 1.4bn whilst we seem to think we need 650 for 5% of that number.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Key metric is how much nasty stuff is being said. Will there be less of it? Will the law have its desired chilling effect on the saying of nasty stuff?
    One identifiable example not far from me, though no doubt there are those that think discouraging people from singing about being 'up to our knees in Fenian blood' is a terrible blow against free speech.

https://x.com/ScotNational/status/1778321333740527730
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Bit short on greens.
    Maybe some ice? Or perhaps not.
This discussion has been closed.