Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hoist with his own petard – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    edited March 28
    I've just been invited to go heli-winetasting, in British Columbia. Literally wine tasting by helicopter. I have a feeling I am going to say Yes

It's just a pity @Heathener isn't here, I know she loves hearing about my travel plans

https://www.foodietown.ca/heli-wine-tour-tasting/
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

One thing that's annoying me this week: people referring to this week as "the long bank holiday weekend".

No, it isn't: t's the Easter bank holiday weekend.

It's remarkable that they are almost always the same people who are first out the gates on LGBT+ history month or to applaud the celebration of Ramadan.

I always refer to the last weekend in March as a short weekend...
    rcs1000 said:

One thing that's annoying me this week: people referring to this week as "the long bank holiday weekend".

It's remarkable that they are almost always the same people who are first out the gates on LGBT+ history month or to applaud the celebration of Ramadan.

It's certainly not long enough.

I will probably celebrate Good Friday tomorrow, now, and go to church. Just to annoy the Wokies.
    It's what Jesus would've wanted.
    I'm always confused by the existence of Easter Monday

I mean, I get Good Friday, Christ was crucified. The most sombre day of the Christian calendar

I understand Saturday, the day of the vigil, Christ in the tomb

And of course I comprehend Easter Sunday, the most wonderful day of the religious year: Christ the King is risen. He lives. Ecce Homo

But what is Easter Monday about? What are we celebrating then? Is that the hioly day when Christ still felt a bit peaky, a touch below par, but managed to keep down some soup, thanks very much?
    Monday isn't part of Easter, so the Easter weekend is Good Friday through Easter Sunday, Monday is a public holiday that has pish all to do with religion.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,228

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I will probably celebrate Good Friday tomorrow, now, and go to church. Just to annoy the Wokies.
    i think there is only one person in this thread annoyed by what we label the easter weekend as.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581

Selebian said:

Your woke-detection knob seems to have been twisted to maximum sensitivity today. How can you possibly get annoyed about what words people are using to refer to the (long, because two days off rather than one) Easter bank holiday weekend? You truly are a proud culture war warrior!
    Because it's the Easter bank holiday weekend. It's the reason we have the break. So it should be referred to as such. Precisely the same people big-up Ramadan, WHM and LGBT+ history month.

To not do it could make some people feel like their culture and traditions are being erased for alternatives, which could stoke division.

It's amazing how Wokies, and clearly you are one, are utterly blind to this.
    What's WHM? I think I've just failed my woke badge, but I really don't know!

I'm tempted to change my normal terminology and wish you a happy long bank holiday weekend, but... well, Happy Easter :kissing_heart:
    Woke History Month. We celebrate the achievements of woke events with some lovely vegan grub.
    "Black Beans Matter!"
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I mean, I get Good Friday, Christ was crucified. The most sombre day of the Christian calendar

And of course I comprehend Easter Sunday, the most wonderful day of the religious year: Christ the King is risen. He lives. Ecce Homo

But what is Easter Monday about? What are we celebrating then? Is that the hioly day when Christ still felt a bit peaky, a touch below par, but managed to keep down some soup, thanks very much?
    Monday isn't part of Easter, so the Easter weekend is Good Friday through Easter Sunday, Monday is a public holiday that has pish all to do with religion.
    Boo

I love the idea we should call it "Not Quite 100% Yet Monday", or "Jesus is definitely on the mend Monday"
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

Happy Holy Thursday!

A belated Happy Holi Monday
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a shame that some try to bring religion into Easter at all. A perfectly good holiday for catching up with those DIY tasks that need a few days effort, and/or getting on top of the garden before everything starts growing, with added chocolate and eggs.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,461
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Grilled fish, if the accounts are to be believed.

As for Easter Monday, it used to be a two day bender, which is probably fair enough if you've been in church since Thursday.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Boo

I love the idea we should call it "Not Quite 100% Yet Monday", or "Jesus is definitely on the mend Monday"
    'He is still not here, he has still risen, just like he said. And like I told you yesterday'
  • Options
    Trent said:

Conspiracy theorists are all over X after King Charles only did an audio Easter message and not a video one.

They were all over X before he did so as well, to be fair.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,761
    Tres said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

i think there is only one person in this thread annoyed by what we label the easter weekend as.
    To be fair, it is only seasonal to get into a hot cross bun fight this time of year.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Boo

Śmigus-dyngus (or lany poniedziałek, Polish for Wet Monday) is the name for Easter Monday in Poland and the diaspora. In the Czech Republic it is called velikonoční pondělí, in Slovakia veľkonočný pondelok and in Hungary Vízbevető. All these Catholic countries (and some others) practice the unique ancient custom on this day.[7] Traditionally, boys and men pour a bucket of water or perfume on girls and women and/or spank their buttocks and legs with long thin twigs (pussy willow) or switches made from willow, birch or decorated tree branches. A legend says that it keep women healthy, beautiful, and fertile during the whole next year.

Another related custom, unique to Poland, is that of sprinkling bowls (garce) of ashes on people or houses, celebrated a few weeks earlier at the "półpoście". This custom is almost forgotten, but still practiced in the area around the borders of Masuria and Masovia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Monday
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

As for Easter Monday, it used to be a two day bender, which is probably fair enough if you've been in church since Thursday.
    That makes sense, doesn't it? I mean if you've just been crucified and you died on the cross, with a spear in your side, and a crown of thorns on your head, and then you've been lying dead in a sealed tomb for three days, to redeem the sins of all humanity, you wouldn't want a massive curry, would you? Or even a proper roast?

Something light would be better. Grilled fish, good choice by Jesus there. Maybe turbot, or some salmon with a hint of dill, perhaps one of the apostles might bring a pudding, but again you'd want something fresh and light, because of all the holes in your hads and feet from the driven nails. Maybe a creme brulee? "And on Monday, Christ did thereof eat the brulee, and Verily, it was good, but might have been even nicer with a bit of fruit"
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a shame that some try to bring religion into Easter at all. A perfectly good holiday for catching up with those DIY tasks that need a few days effort, and/or getting on top of the garden before everything starts growing, with added chocolate and eggs.
    I rather like both aspects myself, although 'religion' of the organised, control of the peasantry, type is not for me, but the stories, fables, message of this and other matters of faith are rather interesting, sometimes uplifting and I find worthwhile considering /pondering
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,761
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That makes sense, doesn't it? I mean if you've just been crucified and you died on the cross, with a spear in your side, and a crown of thorns on your head, and then you've been lying dead in a sealed tomb for three days, to redeem the sins of all humanity, you wouldn't want a massive curry, would you? Or even a proper roast?

Something light would be better. Grilled fish, good choice by Jesus there. Maybe turbot, or some salmon with a hint of dill, perhaps one of the apostles might bring a pudding, but again you'd want something fresh and light, because of all the holes in your hads and feet from the driven nails. Maybe a creme brulee? "And on Monday, Christ did thereof eat the brulee, and Verily, it was good, but might have been even nicer with a bit of fruit"
    Should be ice cream really. Sure I'd scream in that scenario.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    I like Easter.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    @KevinASchofield

NEW: Sneaked out just before the Easter weekend - Rishi Sunak gives a knighthood to Mohamed Mansour, Tory treasurer and major party donor, for "Business, Charity and Political Service".
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Bankman Fried gets 25 years

Gosh. The American justice system finally jails a rich, white, well-connected crook?

Donald Trump has just shat himself.
    Hmmm….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Holmes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Madoff
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NatWest_Three
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Lay
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghislaine_Maxwell

Ken Lay *did* avoid jail - by committing suicide.

Indeed, the NatWest Three tried the argument that the US barbarically sends white collar criminals to jail, rather than not bothering to prosecute them. As a “civilised” country would.
    Lay died of a heart attack, I thought?

You might add Weinberg to the list, and also
    Epstein (who may, or may not, have cooked
    suicide)
    The NatWest 3 objected to the fact that they were kept locked up while awaiting trial and were threatened with a 987 year sentence to force a plea bargain

Locked up awaiting trial? The horror!

Given they had fought extradition, they were automatically classed as a flight risk.

Their guilt was based on the fact that they’d written each other emails detailing the crimes they were about to commit. Including exactly how screwed they were if they ever got caught.

Free advice : If you can’t do time, don’t do crime.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

Carnyx said:

Both descriptions are entirely correct.
    And your post entirely misses the point.

Woke deliberately downplays traditions and up-plays alternatives in the name of equity.

It's almost always Libz that do this. It's polarising and dumb, but they think it makes them look good.
    On the contrary. I was addressing the *specific point you made*.

You said:

'One thing that's annoying me this week: people referring to this week as "the long bank holiday weekend".

No, it isn't: it's the Easter bank holiday weekend.'

You're flat out wrong claiming that the holiday weekend isn't the long bank holiday weekend. It is perfectly correct to call it that. That's what it is, from one point of view.

It is moreover a practical way to describe it and its importance to someone uninterested in one particular tradition of Christianity if one does not have a clue about the Paschal festival and the lunar calculation system as per Book of Common Prayer (small print thereof).

If you had said "I call it the Easter Bank Holiday weekend", your post would have been accurate. But you didn't say that, so your comment wasn't accurate.

What I did not say - note - was that one description was superior to the other or vice versa.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Boo

Śmigus-dyngus (or lany poniedziałek, Polish for Wet Monday) is the name for Easter Monday in Poland and the diaspora. In the Czech Republic it is called velikonoční pondělí, in Slovakia veľkonočný pondelok and in Hungary Vízbevető. All these Catholic countries (and some others) practice the unique ancient custom on this day.[7] Traditionally, boys and men pour a bucket of water or perfume on girls and women and/or spank their buttocks and legs with long thin twigs (pussy willow) or switches made from willow, birch or decorated tree branches. A legend says that it keep women healthy, beautiful, and fertile during the whole next year.

Another related custom, unique to Poland, is that of sprinkling bowls (garce) of ashes on people or houses, celebrated a few weeks earlier at the "półpoście". This custom is almost forgotten, but still practiced in the area around the borders of Masuria and Masovia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Monday
    "Pomlazka"

I have actually done pomlazka, in Czechia, in Moravia, for a lad magazine article

Everyone gets kitted out in trad dress then they get smashed from the start on slivovitz (or some kind of local schnapps anyway). I was with a photographer friend, and we got blitzed, we ended up spanking lots of local girls, with the local lads, then we drank even more..... About six hours later we both woke up, by a river, surrounded by bottles and cans, it was evening, and neither of us had any idea why we'd ended up by a river, or how, or where we were, or what happened in the last hours before we went unconscious

It was one of the funniest days of my life
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Donkeys said:

isam said:

Trent said:

For most people its just a slightly longer weekend. I imagine the majority of the country now dont realise what easter is really about apart from chocolate eggs.
    I was in the bakery with my 4yo son last Saturday, and he mentioned that his teacher at Play School had told him the crosses on Hot Cross Buns were going to be replaced by Nike ticks!
    That teacher's a right wind-up merchant.

In my local Tesco's, they sell hot cross buns all year round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzqSuHy8G-o
    You can get gluten-free M&S hot cross buns in November, but then gluten-free Easter has different dates.
    If Jesus wanted us to be gluten free, he'd have handed around a carrot at the last supper.
    He was at it with the 5 loaves and 2 fishes too. Does seem to have avoided dairy and eggs though.
    And Give Us This Day our Daily Bread. In all seriousness, bread is important to a lot of faiths I think. It's a symbol of plenty, and being settled and able to grow stuff
    Which makes sense given when and where the middle Eastern monotheistic religions developed.

I don’t know Hindu scriptures enough to know if bread (or rice) plays a big part there.
    Rice is definitely a BFD in the Vedas.
  • Options

Trent said:

Conspiracy theorists are all over X after King Charles only did an audio Easter message and not a video one.

They were all over X before he did so as well, to be fair.
    THey've been all over X for two millennia - just look at a hot cross bun. And Allfather Woden on his tree.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    edited March 28
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think I’d definitely want a proper roast after 3 days. With booze too - no alcohol since Thursday. Just wormwood and gall.

Though wormwood is the base for absinthe of course.
  • Options
    Pomlazka. Wow. What a sudden memory

Superb

And on that apposite note, to Soho and the Groucho, to drink away the rain
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No salmon in the Eastern Mediterranean. Too far from the feeding grounds off Greenland.

More to the point, Easter’s a very old pre-Christian festival. Hence the eggs and the rabbits.
  • Options
    Anyway you should all be washing feet today, that's what Holy Thursday is all about
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I think I’d definitely want a proper roast after 3 days. With booze too - no alcohol since Thursday. Just wormwood and gall.

Though wormwood is the base for absinthe of course.
    Er, Christ got some Roman Army ration wine in the sponge. Though it would have been thin sour acetum as I understand it.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Woke deliberately downplays traditions and up-plays alternatives in the name of equity.

It's almost always Libz that do this. It's polarising and dumb, but they think it makes them look good.

You said:

'One thing that's annoying me this week: people referring to this week as "the long bank holiday weekend".

You're flat out wrong claiming that the holiday weekend isn't the long bank holiday weekend. It is perfectly correct to call it that. That's what it is, from one point of view.

It is moreover a practical way to describe it and its importance to someone uninterested in one particular tradition of Christianity if one does not have a clue about the Paschal festival and the lunar calculation system as per Book of Common Prayer (small print thereof).

If you had said "I call it the Easter Bank Holiday weekend", your post would have been accurate. But you didn't say that, so your comment wasn't accurate.

What I did not say - note - was that one description was superior to the other or vice versa.
    I just think we need to stop changing traditions and go back to the original meaning of Easter. It's part of our traditional English culture and faith. Eostre is a great spring goddess and I am fed up of the holiday being robbed by this foreign nonsense about resurrected carpenters from the Middle East.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You said:

I just think we need to stop changing traditions and go back to the original meaning of Easter. It's part of our traditional English culture and faith. Eostre is a great spring goddess and I am fed up of the holiday being robbed by this foreign nonsense about resurrected carpenters from the Middle East.
    Nerd alert. Its more likely JC was a Stone Mason than a chippy
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581

Anyway you should all be washing feet today, that's what Holy Thursday is all about

Personally speaking, I wash my feet EVERY Thursday.
  • Options

Personally speaking, I wash my feet EVERY Thursday.
    Other people's feet!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,659
    edited March 28
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Don't even get into the theological convolutions required to get 3 days and 3 nights in the grave between Good Friday and Easter Sunday...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Donkeys said:

isam said:

Trent said:

For most people its just a slightly longer weekend. I imagine the majority of the country now dont realise what easter is really about apart from chocolate eggs.
    I was in the bakery with my 4yo son last Saturday, and he mentioned that his teacher at Play School had told him the crosses on Hot Cross Buns were going to be replaced by Nike ticks!

You can get gluten-free M&S hot cross buns in November, but then gluten-free Easter has different dates.
    If Jesus wanted us to be gluten free, he'd have handed around a carrot at the last supper.
    He was at it with the 5 loaves and 2 fishes too. Does seem to have avoided dairy and eggs though.
    And Give Us This Day our Daily Bread. In all seriousness, bread is important to a lot of faiths I think. It's a symbol of plenty, and being settled and able to grow stuff
    Which makes sense given when and where the middle Eastern monotheistic religions developed.

I don’t know Hindu scriptures enough to know if bread (or rice) plays a big part there.
    Butter plays a big role, hence the sacredness of the cow. Ghee is used in temples. I believe that physiologically dairy helps keep you healthy if you're a veggy. I think that's why they venerate the cow.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Though if you look carefully* you will see in the supermarket egg aisles very few of the chocolate eggs are labelled Easter eggs...

*steals woke finder general status from CR
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,625

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

How can you celebrate Good Friday? The poor lad got put to death, ffs.

Sunday is the day of celebration. The day some student pranksters made off with his body.

I assume that most Christians don't really believe in the literal resurrection; rather consider it as a metaphor for Jesus' teachings living on.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Don't even get into the theological convolutions required to get 3 days and 3 nights in the grave between Good Friday and Easter Sunday...
    Isn't it simply the Roman way of calculating the date? It used to confuse me in Latin lessons when I was trying to translate 29 September into III (or whatever) dies ante kalendes Octobris. IIRC

Maundy Thursday = IV (or IIII) days before Easter Sunday
    Good Friday = III days before Easter Sunday
    Easter Saturday = The day before Easter Sunday
    Easter day = Easter Day

• Options
    edited March 28

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sunday is the day of celebration. The day some student pranksters made off with his body.

I assume that most Christians don't really believe in the literal resurrection; rather consider it as a metaphor for Jesus' teachings living on.
    'commemorate' maybe the mot juste. Always safer than 'celebrate' e.g. when talking about Third Wipers, the British Empire. What the Romans Did for Us, etc. etc.

Edit: unless in the techjnical sense of celebrating the relevant mass. But I am not sure that all Christians even do that on Good Friday.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Isn't it simply the Roman way of calculating the date? It used to confuse me in Latin lessons when I was trying to translate 29 September into III (or whatever) dies ante kalendes Octobris. IIRC

Maundy Thursday = IV (or IIII) days before Easter Sunday
    Good Friday = III days before Easter Sunday
    Easter Saturday = The day before Easter Sunday
    Easter day = Easter Day

There are those who think that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday or Thursday.
  • Options
    edited March 28

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The ressurection is more central than a metaphor as it was a bodily resurrection, brought back from the dead rather than reincarnating as a bird or some such. He still has the wounds of his crucifixion when he appears to the apostles and his body is gone from the tomb. The story isn't meant to be in any way metaphorical as I understand it, its a literal resurrection.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@KevinASchofield

NEW: Sneaked out just before the Easter weekend - Rishi Sunak gives a knighthood to Mohamed Mansour, Tory treasurer and major party donor, for "Business, Charity and Political Service".

A knighthood for sucking the PM's cock would be more honourable.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Eh? Who says that? In fact, the Bible is highly specific that Jesus was crucified (the first day) then dead during Passover (the second day) and rose again the day following (the third day).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    TimS said:

I’ve just eaten a hot cross bun. Very nice.

Casino’s post is a good example of a certain genre of culture war commentary, which has the great culture war unifying appeal of being something both sides can indulge in.

The phenomenon of reciprocal hypocrisy.

Because culture warriors typically support anything their side says and condemn anything the other says, they can easily be accused of hypocrisy. But it is neatly symmetrical.

So:

Woke lefties are hypocritical because they pointedly celebrate non-Christian religious festivals while going out of their way to avoid doing the same for Christian festivals. There is undoubtedly truth in that.

And

Right wing nutters are hypocritical because they moan constantly about everyone celebrating non-Christian festivals while getting very touchy if people don’t name check their own Christian ones.

I have to work tomorrow morning, so a pox on both their houses.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Donkeys said:

isam said:

Trent said:

Is the composition of the loaves specified ?
    I think not.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I can only conclude from this that you haven't met very many Christians.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    In good international news, another peaceful transition of power in Senegal.

https://www.france24.com/en/africa/20240326-senegal-s-little-known-opposition-leader-bassirou-diomaye-faye-wins-presidential-election

Their electoral “crisis” earlier this year was quaintly minor.
  • Options
    edited March 28
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Eh? Who says that? In fact, the Bible is highly specific that Jesus was crucified (the first day) then dead during Passover (the second day) and rose again the day following (the third day).
    That's not 3 days and 3 nights dead.

Well, here is the argument for Thursday death...

https://reasonsforhopejesus.com/crucified/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    Foxy said:

ToryJim said:

Trent said:

What is it 'about'? Certainly not JC, who cannot possibly have died on a different day each year?

Personally, I think it's about a four-days of partying, good walks and great food and pubs. But, each to their own.
    Jesus died at Passover which always begins on 15th Nisan according to the Jewish calendar. The Jewish calendar oscillates slightly in reference to the Gregorian calendar, and subsequently the church determined that Easter would be the Sunday following the first full moon after the vernal equinox. This broke the link between Easter and Passover but they do occasionally line up, but not this year.
    Bonkers on stilts. "The church determined". Just fix it for the middle weekend of April.
    The Catholic Church. Orthodox have a different system.
    Cistercian Easter can be recommended for some :wink: .
  • Options
    edited March 28

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I never understood the “I believe in God, but not the miracles” thing.

If you are all powerful, all knowing and hand built the whole universe for LOLs, bringing make people from the dead is a doddle.

Hell, modern doctors have brought people back from what would have been regarded as clinically dead only few years ago.
  • Options

I don’t know whether Ms Cyclefree has seen this, bit on the BBC website there’s a report that the Post Office had a report in 2017 that made it clear that the Horizon system was faulty, and that they knew the defence they put up in 2019 was untrue.
    When the Inquiry resumes Counsel is going to have fun with the Post Office top management. We must be close to perjury charges.

"inappropriate to comment" !
  • Options
    edited March 28
    Nigelb said:

StKS on the TV for the local election launch.

Not a single policy, just vibes and platitudes.

What policies - specifically - do you think national government should impose on local government?
    See earlier in thread for the enhanced planning and compulsory purchase powers government should grant selected local authorities.
    I think the issue with that is competence and resourcing to use said powers effectively.

There's all sorts of heavy-handed stuff in the Planning Acts from ~1948, some of which has never been used.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I never understood the “I believe in God, but not the miracles” thing.

If you are all powerful, all knowing and hand built the whole universe for LOLs, bringing make people from the dead is a doddle.

Hell, modern doctors have brought people back from what would have been regarded as clinically dead only few years ago.
    I had an undergraduate once who wrote in an essay that nurses played a vital part in winning World War I by bringing soldiers back from the dead.

I did not know what to write...
  • Options
    Ok so salmon would be hard to get. Point taken

But this is the Son of God, He has just risen from the dead, to save all of mankind. You wouldn’t casually say “oh yeah, Jesus, mary got you a scotch egg at the garage. Thought you might be peckish”

You’d have a proper sit down meal. Maybe a starter, or maybe some nibbles on the table, crisps in a bowl. Not salt and vinegar tho
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Bankman Fried gets 25 years

Gosh. The American justice system finally jails a rich, white, well-connected crook?

Donald Trump has just shat himself.
    Hmmm….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Holmes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Madoff
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NatWest_Three
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Lay
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghislaine_Maxwell

Ken Lay *did* avoid jail - by committing suicide.

Indeed, the NatWest Three tried the argument that the US barbarically sends white collar criminals to jail, rather than not bothering to prosecute them. As a “civilised” country would.
    The defence is the same that Chump has been trying to use - "there was no victim".

Yes, there was.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@KevinASchofield

A knighthood for sucking the PM's cock would be more honourable.
    They're going down.

Under Johnson, that was a peerage.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472

NEW THREAD

• Options

WillG said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You said:

I thought he was a Rabbi?
  • Options
    edited March 28

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No salmon in the Eastern Mediterranean. Too far from the feeding grounds off Greenland.

More to the point, Easter’s a very old pre-Christian festival. Hence the eggs and the rabbits.
    Popular though this myth is on the internet, it's still a myth. It seems to come originally from The Golden Bough.

https://historyforatheists.com/2022/04/easter-pagan/
    https://historyforatheists.com/2017/04/easter-ishtar-eostre-and-eggs/
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You what? What about all that salmon fishing the Yemen?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The ressurection is more central than a metaphor as it was a bodily resurrection, brought back from the dead rather than reincarnating as a bird or some such. He still has the wounds of his crucifixion when he appears to the apostles and his body is gone from the tomb. The story isn't meant to be in any way metaphorical as I understand it, its a literal resurrection.
    Yeah, but that's bollocks though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I don’t know whether Ms Cyclefree has seen this, bit on the BBC website there’s a report that the Post Office had a report in 2017 that made it clear that the Horizon system was faulty, and that they knew the defence they put up in 2019 was untrue.
    When the Inquiry resumes Counsel is going to have fun with the Post Office top management. We must be close to perjury charges.

"inappropriate to comment" !
    I am shocked*, shocked.

I fully expect the next revelation to be that money *was* stolen from the post offices. By the investigators trying to frame more victims. Under instruction from the PO itself.

The one after that is the vat cloning of ninja assassins to kill all the witnesses. In conjunction with terrorists *and* a drug cartel.

I mean, how much more cartoon evil is left in this? We’ve gone from the Harrison Ford conspiracy story, to one staring Ben Affleck. We are currently in a late stages of Jean Claude Van Dame revenge/conspiracy story. What’s left? Yup, Steven Seagal grade….

*Shocked means that I am completely unsurprised in a way whatsoever, predicted this etc.
  • Options

WillG said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You said:

I thought he was a Rabbi?
    At no point has anyone ever claimed Jesus was a rabbi. An apocalyptic preacher associated with the Essenes, possibly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I can only conclude from this that you haven't met very many Christians.
    I just don't think that they always say what they really believe.
  • Options
    A bundle of news this afternoon.

Does Post Office failure to disclose relevant material in discovery (ie denying the other side all the evidence) engage charges of perjury? Who for - the client or the lawyers?

What are the penalties for withholding evidence? Are they summary offences?

Are we now going to see even more serious prosecution of Post Office officials?

This is another dodge used by Trump.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68663750
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    edited March 28
    Good evening

Beth Rigby of Sky interviewing Starmer has asked how he would deal with the 4 billon pound local funding gap

He fundamentally said it would have to come from growth but he would stop no fault evictions ( i doubt that will start to address the problem)

Rigby perfectly fairly asked why do you not tax the wealthy to which he responded about the highest taxation on record which on reflection is a self inflicted own goal as any attempt to increase taxes will be met with labour already stated highest taxes already but we will make them higher

Sky also said labour are rowing back on the conservatives child care provision as unaffordable and warned this is not good politics to threaten future child care provision
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,414
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

But you don’t need to if you read ‘On the morning of the third day’ correctly.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Does Post Office failure to disclose relevant material in discovery (ie denying the other side all the evidence) engage charges of perjury? Who for - the client or the lawyers?

I’ve just realised something.

Pray, pray, that someone at the PO did something with wire transfers in connection with this.

That’d get the Americans all fired up. Before you know it they’ll RICO the whole thing. Have to open a new wing at Florida ADX…..
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,837

Good evening

Beth Rigby of Sky interviewing Starmer has asked how he would deal with the 4 billon pound local funding gap

He fundamentally said it would have to come from growth but he would stop no fault evictions ( i doubt that will start to address the problem)

Rigby perfectly fairly asked why do you not tax the wealthy to which he responded about the highest taxation on record which on reflection is a self inflicted own goal as any attempt to increase taxes will be met with labour already stated highest taxes already but we will make them higher

Sky also said labour are rowing back on the conservatives child care provision as unaffordable and warned this is not good politics to threaten future child care provision

The public are less interested in what’s unaffordable. Labour are in danger of looking like they’re offering just eat your greens.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Tres said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No, lots of people are.

It's just the same five or six Lefty/ Libz publicly masturbating each other.

Don't be fooled by it.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You said:

Too boring for me to even read.

Sorry.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Lots of Christians do believe precisely that.
  • Options

MattW said:

I’ve just realised something.

Pray, pray, that someone at the PO did something with wire transfers in connection with this.

That’d get the Americans all fired up. Before you know it they’ll RICO the whole thing. Have to open a new wing at Florida ADX…..
    RICO is an amazing law, which seems to apply to anything ay will !
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You said:

Too boring for me to even read.

Sorry.
    How could you possibly know without reading it? :smiley:
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,228

Tres said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

No, lots of people are.

It's just the same five or six Lefty/ Libz publicly masturbating each other.

Don't be fooled by it.
    is it really masturbation if someone else is doing it?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yeah, but that's bollocks though.
    I think other critics of Christianity have phrased it differently.

I would also say that whatever you think about the truth or value of the story of Christ, it is a fact that for many people it is a story of deep and profound significance and the origin of some of the greatest works of art that we have. Whatever your personal views of the matter, it is at least worthy of respect and dismissing the whole legacy of the Christian story with contempt ("sky fairy" etc.) is at best a bit childish and at worst deliberately offensive. From the mistakes that people are making about the ideas of Christianity and the story of Christ it is pretty clear that they are not familiar with the actual gospels themselves. Whatever your views, the gospels are so central to our culture, they are at least worth a skim read. For some they are worth a lot more, so please remember that.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056
    Scott_xP said:

I think the anomoly of the most powerful piece on the board being the queen arose from the misunderstanding that simply because it started next to the king it must be the queen.

I heard a story that the Queen was originally as feeble as the King, until the game was introduced at the Spanish Court, and the Queen (Izabella maybe?) was so outraged they changed it to be the most powerful piece instead
    I thought it was originally the Grand Vizier (PM) but was changed to the Queen in Europe

• Options
    agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 86
    I hope I am wrong, not that I would ever vote Labour or Tory, but I wonder if the parallel, if any, is with 1992, not 1997.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Maundy Thursday night. Easter is the best holiday of the year.

Let’s get trashed!
  • Options

Happy Holy Thursday!

Maundy Thursday.

Holy Saturday,
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I like Easter.

Yeah Easter is class. It rocks.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

As a man with faith my opinion is we should all mind our own fucking business and keep our religious holidays to ourselves rather than trying to claim public holidays. Christians stole those holidays in the first place so they can especially piss off with their claims
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224
    Pagan2 said:

As a man with faith my opinion is we should all mind our own fucking business and keep our religious holidays to ourselves rather than trying to claim public holidays. Christians stole those holidays in the first place so they can especially piss off with their claims
    In Scotland, England and Wales Easter has been celebrated for over 1600 years, how far do you want to go back?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794
    nico679 said:

NEW: Laurence Fox will not be a candidate for the London mayoral election after after filling in the form wrong

Can’t Fox just move to the USA where he’ll feel at home. Perhaps a Nebraska trailer park where he can wank on about conspiracy theories .
    He's WFH. Assuming the "W" stands for "Wa[that's enough - Ed]