Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The triple lock is here to stay – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited March 27 in General
The triple lock is here to stay – politicalbetting.com

The Tories have pledged to keep the state pension triple lock in place if they win the next election – 72% of Britons think the triple lock should remain in place (including a majority across all generations)https://t.co/Cy60U7qpqg pic.twitter.com/g4WuDEXnLg

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,616
    edited March 27
    1st like an OAP in the queue for the post office, 30 minutes before it opens.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,319
    FPT (and apologies for being scandalously off thread, but I kind of need an answer...)

May I request the assistance of the PB Brains Trust?

Mrs PtP has a bijou flat in Hampstead. The remaining lease is approximately 100 years. She wishes to extend it. The landlord, Camden Council, is remarkably diffident. She has found a local lawyer who is used to dealing with them (and clearly holds them in low esteem) and thinks it will cost about £8k all told to secure a 90 year extension. I'm inclined to tell her to go ahead but am dimly aware of changes proposed to alter the law on leaseholds. I am too lazy to research the implications and thought I would ask you lot instead, especially as I'm likely to get the kind of frankness you cannot expect from professional scribes on the subject.

Any thoughts, anyone?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

1st like an OAP in the queue for the post office, 30 minutes before it opens.

Like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQydyK6-sOQ&t=7s ?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    I think it will stay but with a tweak or two to it to reduce the level of increase in future.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Fpt, reply to Stodge on Locals
    2021 NEV was 40 Tory 30 Lab, I suspect a direct inversion very possible with Tory perhaps even lower, anything under 50% losses and I think he'll be a bit relieved, especially if Hall outperforms polling and Street somehow hangs on. On the converse, over 500 losses, towards low 20s for Hall and Steeet gone and the knives are out.
    Workers Party are scouting for council candidates, their performance might give an indication of any issue Labour might face over Gaza etc
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

FPT (and apologies for being scandalously off thread, but I kind of need an answer...)

Mrs PtP has a bijou flat in Hampstead. The remaining lease is approximately 100 years. She wishes to extend it. The landlord, Camden Council, is remarkably diffident. She has found a local lawyer who is used to dealing with them (and clearly holds them in low esteem) and thinks it will cost about £8k all told to secure a 90 year extension. I'm inclined to tell her to go ahead but am dimly aware of changes proposed to alter the law on leaseholds. I am too lazy to research the implications and thought I would ask you lot instead, especially as I'm likely to get the kind of frankness you cannot expect from professional scribes on the subject.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Any thought, anyone?

Is there any need to extend now?
    No. It's just that she has the funds and feels it would enhance the value of the flat. It is probably worth about £500k (tiny flat but near the Heath).
    Would it enhance the value by more than the cost of the lease extension? 100 years is still adequately long, mortgage companies only start getting cold feet when you get below 90. Bearing in mind that leasehold reform is in the air and any reform will be likely to benefit leaseholders I think I'd sit it out at least until Labour has made clear what it might do in the next parliament.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

Any thoughts, anyone?

I don’t have any legal knowledge, or any advice on changing regulations, but when I bought my flat (in Camden) the lease had about 85 years left and I was offered the chance to extend it by 10 years or 40 years (IIRC) - the latter cost a few more K

I went for 40 despite the experts saying it was pointless. I wanted the security of knowing i had a
    very long lease. In retrospect I think i made the right choice
  • Options
    FPT for @Cookie

Layla Moran did indeed oppose a new reservoir.

Classic NIMBY

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19855745.plans-huge-reservoir-abingdon-explained/

Mind you Green councillors oppose solar farms in their area all the time.

Bart is someone I rarely agree with but he is right on his "Screw the NIMBY" view.

• Options
    @anothernick and @Leon

Noted with thanks.

At the moment I'd be inclined to wait at least until the election, but will be grateful for any further views.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,616
    Off-topic … have we talked enough about the TUV/Reform UK electoral pact? They say they are going to stand mutually agreed candidates in all the NI constituencies. I’m unclear if they will be labelled TUV candidates or TUV/Reform UK ones, but that’s beside the point. The point is that they’re not going to win any seats, but they may take votes from the DUP. Previously, the TUV has usually not stood in FPTP elections to avoid splitting the unionist vote.

TUV candidates taking votes from the DUP could cost the DUP a couple of seats, maybe to the advantage of Alliance?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    edited March 27

Any thoughts, anyone?

No need to apologise -this sort of thing is fascinating and quite likely to be useful to others of us (and likely to be a lot more reliable than, reputedly, DM advice on the law of incest).
  • Options

@anothernick and @Leon

Noted with thanks.

At the moment I'd be inclined to wait at least until the election, but will be grateful for any further views.

I'd be inclined to wait too, your wife has time before the length remaining becomes an issue and with change in the air certainty would be beneficial, its just a little way down the track though
  • Options
    edited March 27

Off-topic … have we talked enough about the TUV/Reform UK electoral pact? They say they are going to stand mutually agreed candidates in all the NI constituencies. I’m unclear if they will be labelled TUV candidates or TUV/Reform UK ones, but that’s beside the point. The point is that they’re not going to win any seats, but they may take votes from the DUP. Previously, the TUV has usually not stood in FPTP elections to avoid splitting the unionist vote.

TUV candidates taking votes from the DUP could cost the DUP a couple of seats, maybe to the advantage of Alliance?

I got the impression it was an SDLP/Labour type agreement.
    In electoral terms it might hand South Antrim to the UUP, would be nice to see the Trimblers back in Westminster
  • Options

So, there are 2 seats with DUP majorities below 10%: South Antrim, over UUP; and Belfast East, over Alliance.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    edited March 27

Any thoughts, anyone?

Any thought, anyone?

No. It's just that she has the funds and feels it would enhance the value of the flat. It is probably worth about £500k (tiny flat but near the Heath).
    Would it enhance the value by more than the cost of the lease extension? 100 years is still adequately long, mortgage companies only start getting cold feet when you get below 90. Bearing in mind that leasehold reform is in the air and any reform will be likely to benefit leaseholders I think I'd sit it out at least until Labour has made clear what it might do in the next parliament.
    It's not just in the air, it's in the House of Lords, isn't it? Gove's Leasehold and Freehold Reform bill doesn't make super drastic changes here, but judging from some briefing paper summary stuff it's supposed to e.g. mean you don't have to pay some of the freeholder's non-legal costs and you get a 990 year lease extension rather than 90 years. This feels to me like "if you have to get a lease extension because your mortgage company demands it or you need to sell right now, you should go ahead because the changes are nice but not game changing; but if there's no urgency, then invest the money elsewhere for now and revisit the idea in 12 months time". If the ground rent is high then doubly so, because the bill includes provisions that extensions have to reduce ground rent to a peppercorn.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749
    To repeat a point I've made before, the triple lock benefits future OAPs more than current ones because it means the state pension will be more valuable than it is today and they will have longer to receive it. If younger people succeed in reducing it they will regret it. Which is not to say it has to go on forever. The object is gradually to restore UK pensions to a level comparable with similar western European countries.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    FPT Andy Cooke:

How about a £10 bet on the contingency that David Johnston is unseated, who pulled it off?
    I win if it's Olly Glover for the Lib Dems. You win if it's [insert name here] for Labour.

And Didcot and Wantage definitely looks to be the Lib Dem best prospect in Oxfordshire for a gain. Banbury is certainly best prospect for Labour. I can see arguments over Bicester and Woodstock, and Witney, but with the way the area has swung to the Lib Dems over the past several years at local level, the strong performance last time, and the various other aspects highlighted in the vote-2012 boards write-up (https://vote-2012.proboards.com/thread/17762/didcot-wantage ) that make it demographically better for the Lib Dems than ever before, I think we'd be fools to step down our campaign here, frankly.
    ---------
    £10 bet - done. Winning to charity of winner's choice. I'd probably pick Brightwell Supports Refugees as suitably local to both of us.

The same demographic elements mentioned on vote-2012 (high education, proximity to London, Remain) favour both LibDems and Labour, though proximity to London more Labour and Remain more LibDem. The main issue is just pragmatic - I don't think the LibDems can win on a lower national vote share unless they get a lot of tactical votes from Labour, and because it's now become a Labour target (unlike, say, Guildford) I think they will find that very difficult. With a paid Labour organiser, a strong campaign team and FWIW my own campaign experience I think it'll be a strong campaign, and if the LibDems fight it to death we may get the Tory hold that we neasrly saw in similar circs in mid-Beds.

I don't want to bore everyone else with the fine details of the Didcot and Wantage debate, but wouldn't be a bad thing to have a line of communication open between us if you'd like that? I'm on nickmp1 at aol.com.
  • Options
    OAPs may be a considerable voting bloc, but working age people considerably out number them still.

If all OAPs vote Tory and all working people vote Labour, then Labour win the next election.

Of course it won't be all for either party, but it could be a considerable proportion for both.

The Tories relinquish the votes of those working for a living at their peril.
  • Options
    edited March 27

To repeat a point I've made before, the triple lock benefits future OAPs more than current ones because it means the state pension will be more valuable than it is today and they will have longer to receive it. If younger people succeed in reducing it they will regret it. Which is not to say it has to go on forever. The object is gradually to restore UK pensions to a level comparable with similar western European countries.

It even benefits many of the so-called WASPI women who, had they got their pensions at 60 would be on the less generous state pension.

As for it benefitting future pensioners as long as those in work get it, of course. I am 8 years from getting it so I should get it at 67 as they should give 10 years notice of any change and are currently still committed to that.

What about younger people. No guarantee they will get it at all.
  • Options

In electoral terms it might hand South Antrim to the UUP, would be nice to see the Trimblers back in Westminster
    Their language of “agreed” candidates and a common whip if elected seems to go one step further than the Lab/SDLP or LibDem/APNI arrangements.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,744

Pensions will be means tested (at least mostly) at some point, so I suspect the demographics mean that you are wrong on this. In the medium term the triple lock is simply unaffordable and damaging to the economy.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,725
    edited March 27

And what underpins your naïve assumption that future pensioners will actually get it?

Our generation has had the rug pulled at every turn. Tuition fees introduced before turning 18, housing construction blocked by NIMBYs, taxes solely on earned-income jacked up (only recently started to be reversed) etc, etc, etc

The idea that we'll actually get the pension, let alone a triple locked one, is a brave assumption.

Making the pension unaffordable simply brings forward the day that the pension gets phased out/means tested, probably when we're about to retire and the boomer vote has died.
  • Options
    pm215 said:

Any thoughts, anyone?

Any thought, anyone?

It's not just in the air, it's in the House of Lords, isn't it? Gove's Leasehold and Freehold Reform bill doesn't make super drastic changes here, but judging from some briefing paper summary stuff it's supposed to e.g. mean you don't have to pay some of the freeholder's non-legal costs and you get a 990 year lease extension rather than 90 years. This feels to me like "if you have to get a lease extension because your mortgage company demands it or you need to sell right now, you should go ahead because the changes are nice but not game changing; but if there's no urgency, then invest the money elsewhere for now and revisit the idea in 12 months time". If the ground rent is high then doubly so, because the bill includes provisions that extensions have to reduce ground rent to a peppercorn.
    When I got my flat, there was a peppercorn rent to the freeholder (conveniently, my Mum). I bought her a whole packet of Sainsbury’s black peppercorns.
  • Options

Their language of “agreed” candidates and a common whip if elected seems to go one step further than the Lab/SDLP or LibDem/APNI arrangements.
    Yeah, that's very true. TUV are relatively niche hard unionist and not transfer friendly in NI devolved terms, maybe the Reform name helps them with that and Reform get to present as a whole UK party
  • Options

Pensions will be means tested (at least mostly) at some point, so I suspect the demographics mean that you are wrong on this. In the medium term the triple lock is simply unaffordable and damaging to the economy.
    I could see NEST eventually replacing the state pension for younger workers or the state pension being a top up to workers whose NEST pot falls below a certain level.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 518
    edited March 27
    "Triple lock" conveys strength, because of

* the unvoiced consonants t, p, k ("triple" is stronger than "treble")
    * the masculine (stressed) ending ("lock")
    * the masculine connotations of odd numbers - see for example the common use of pentagons and heptagons as shapes for burglar alarms.

So yeah, being perceived as removers of the triple lock is a no-no.
  • Options
    TrentTrent Posts: 150

And what underpins your naïve assumption that future pensioners will actually get it?

Our generation has had the rug pulled at every turn. Tuition fees introduced before turning 18, housing construction blocked by NIMBYs, taxes solely on earned-income jacked up (only recently started to be reversed) etc, etc, etc

The idea that we'll actually get the pension, let alone a triple locked one, is a brave assumption.

Making the pension unaffordable simply brings forward the day that the pension gets phased out/means tested, probably when we're about to retire and the boomer vote has died.
    Indeed given our woeful birth rates for the triple lock to be even remotely viable means large scale mass immigration. Yet the same pensioners are adamantly opposed to this.
  • Options

pm215 said:

Any thoughts, anyone?

Any thought, anyone?

When I got my flat, there was a peppercorn rent to the freeholder (conveniently, my Mum). I bought her a whole packet of Sainsbury’s black peppercorns.
    Bribing the Landlord, Rotten Borough territory!!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    Manchester police re-investigating Angela Rayner council house claims

Labour’s deputy leader is accused of breaking electoral law for allegedly giving false information relating to capital gains tax on her former Stockport house

Police are reassessing claims that Angela Rayner broke electoral law after receiving a complaint from the deputy chairman of the Conservative Party.

James Daly, the MP for Bury North, said Greater Manchester police had failed to properly investigate claims the Labour deputy leader may have broken the law in the early 2010s when she lived between two council houses in Stockport.

On Monday the police confirmed that a detective chief inspector had been assigned to reconsider the case, putting pressure on Rayner again, days after she launched a fightback in the media.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/angela-rayner-council-house-tax-manchester-police-labour-party-79pk08rx0
  • Options

Yeah, that's very true. TUV are relatively niche hard unionist and not transfer friendly in NI devolved terms, maybe the Reform name helps them with that and Reform get to present as a whole UK party
    What will Catholic Refuk-ers in England, Scotland and Wales think about it though?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

I think most sensible people of your age will be planning on private pension provision, as the state pension will not cut the mustard. That said it will still be there, and should be part of your planning.
  • Options

Labour’s deputy leader is accused of breaking electoral law for allegedly giving false information relating to capital gains tax on her former Stockport house

Police are reassessing claims that Angela Rayner broke electoral law after receiving a complaint from the deputy chairman of the Conservative Party.

James Daly, the MP for Bury North, said Greater Manchester police had failed to properly investigate claims the Labour deputy leader may have broken the law in the early 2010s when she lived between two council houses in Stockport.

On Monday the police confirmed that a detective chief inspector had been assigned to reconsider the case, putting pressure on Rayner again, days after she launched a fightback in the media.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/angela-rayner-council-house-tax-manchester-police-labour-party-79pk08rx0

Lollapalooza. Curry was eaten, beer was drunk, profit was made.
  • Options

Lord Ashcroft said he was going to send her a copy but wasn't sure what house to send it to !!!!

Whatever the wrongs or rights of the issue and I defer to the Dan Neidle thread on Twitter on the matter Ms Rayner clearly does not like being subject to scrutiny. Playing the "poor me" card.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/angela-rayner-labour-lord-ashcroft-b2502151.html

"Ms Rayner hit back at what she called Lord Ashcroft’s “unhealthy interest” in her family life. She also accused the former Tory deputy chair of wanting to “kick down at people like me who graft hard in tough circumstances to get on in life”."
  • Options
    edited March 27

But wait, it's 99% probable that Labour will form the government after the next election, according to John Curtice. Nothing could possibly ha -

PS And bored-stiff journos are tweeting to report that Tory MPs have lost their mojo. It's all over already. Over. Isn't it?
  • Options

What will Catholic Refuk-ers in England, Scotland and Wales think about it though?
    Not much I'd imagine
  • Options
    Taz said:

Lord Ashcroft said he was going to send her a copy but wasn't sure what house to send it to !!!!

Whatever the wrongs or rights of the issue and I defer to the Dan Neidle thread on Twitter on the matter Ms Rayner clearly does not like being subject to scrutiny. Playing the "poor me" card.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/angela-rayner-labour-lord-ashcroft-b2502151.html

"Ms Rayner hit back at what she called Lord Ashcroft’s “unhealthy interest” in her family life. She also accused the former Tory deputy chair of wanting to “kick down at people like me who graft hard in tough circumstances to get on in life”."
    Michelle Mone said the same when Dan Neidle was investigating her tax affairs.

Free advice: Don't do anything that will get Dan Neidle investigating your tax affairs.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

But wait, it's 99% probable that Labour will form the government after the next election, according to John Curtice. Nothing could possibly ha -

PS And bored-stiff journos are tweeting to report that Tory MPs have lost their mojo. It's all over already. Over. Isn't it?
    It is.

Angela Rayner could kill a cat live on TV whilst punching a NHS nurse and Labour are still going to win.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Taz said:

'graft' is an unfortunate word, given its multiple meanings :lol:

However, I suspect this is kormagate all over again - Con figure makes a lot of noise, police 'have another look' to keep everyone happy.

If it does turn out there's more to it, then it's much more of an issue for Rayner than Lab (she'd have to resign deputy leader position, Lab would move on) It's not as if the Conservatives are free of sleaze issues to make voters move to them as the 'clean' party.
  • Options

Donkeys said:

It is.

Angela Rayner could kill a cat live on TV whilst punching a NHS nurse and Labour are still going to win.
    But there is the endless joy to be had from the hypocrisy of the Twitter faithful defending her as the good ship Rayner struggles in the storm
  • Options

Donkeys said:

It is.

Angela Rayner could kill a cat live on TV
    She's got my vote !!!!
  • Options

What is a detective chief inspector going to know about tax law? Surely you want HMRC to investigate?
  • Options

What is a detective chief inspector going to know about tax law? Surely you want HMRC to investigate?
    It will be false declaration of address they are looking at, not the tax
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,998
    Taz said:

FPT for @Cookie

Layla Moran did indeed oppose a new reservoir.

Classic NIMBY

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19855745.plans-huge-reservoir-abingdon-explained/

Mind you Green councillors oppose solar farms in their area all the time.

Bart is someone I rarely agree with but he is right on his "Screw the NIMBY" view.

No, no, no.

She was all in favor of the reservoir. Just so long as it was somewhere else.
  • Options

Donkeys said:

It is.

While Joe Biden has a stroke and Eddie Izzard puts the case for Labour on other channels, as son of Rotherham breaks.

Remain was at 1.3 three days before the EU membership referendum.
  • Options

To whom has she supposedly falsely declared her address? HMRC, presumably.
  • Options

Electoral roll etc
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Donkeys said:

It is.

While Joe Biden has a stroke and Eddie Izzard puts the case for Labour on other channels, as son of Rotherham breaks.

Remain was at 1.3 three days before the EU membership referendum.
    You can get 17/2 on the Tories to win most seats at the next general election. Have you partaken?
  • Options

Obviously giving false information re CGT would be a breach of tax law but I'm not clear why it would be a breach of electoral law?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Any thoughts, anyone?

The Tories were going to abolish leasehold, but have ducked out. Labour is saying it will have to finish the job. I would wait a few years, if I were your Mrs.
  • Options
    edited March 27

Obviously giving false information re CGT would be a breach of tax law but I'm not clear why it would be a breach of electoral law?
    False info on the electoral roll/where registered to vote is a crime punishable by up to 6 months or unlimited fine.
    It's that the allegation relates to

Edit - I believe they are angling that if no crime occured re addresses registered to vote etc then the tax implications of the sales don't add up. Its a 'one or the other is wrong' accusation
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,140

Donkeys said:

It is.

In fact she may do that to distract from this.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,998
    Taz said:

Donkeys said:

It is.

Angela Rayner could kill a cat live on TV
    She's got my vote !!!!
    I'm sorry, but no one kills a cat on TV any more.

That's so 1990.

One livestreams it on Twitch.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,614

The other way of looking at it is that the 18-24 cohort don't have a hope in hell of seeing anything like that by the time they're pensioners.
    It's pretty altruistic of them to want to pay benefits for the elderly that they'll never enjoy for themselves.
  • Options

Electoral roll etc
    Very rarely prosecuted. Hard to imagine there would be a prosecution when there was no evidence of attempted electoral fraud.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Any thoughts, anyone?

The Tories were going to abolish leasehold, but have ducked out. Labour is saying it will have to finish the job. I would wait a few years, if I were your Mrs.
    That seems to be the PB consensus and I think I'll go along with it.

My thanks to you and all the others who offered their assistance.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Donkeys said:

It is.

She could have my neighbours that crap on my lawn from time to time for the purposes of the excercise.
  • Options

Electoral roll etc
    It is a low bar. You can be registered at multiple addresses as long as you only vote once. Just need a considerable degree of permanence.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    If I was under 30 I think that the triple lock would have me looking seriously for emigration. It is an outrageous penalty on the young and poor for the benefit of the old and comfortable.
  • Options

Electoral roll etc
    Very rarely prosecuted. Hard to imagine there would be a prosecution when there was no evidence of attempted electoral fraud.
    Agreed. But the story keeps running.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540

James Daly, the MP for Bury North, would be better advised to investigate his own job prospects. He is the proud owner of the smallest Tory majority (105) in the country, and is toast.
  • Options
    edited March 27

False info on the electoral roll/where registered to vote is a crime punishable by up to 6 months or unlimited fine.

Edit - I believe they are angling that if no crime occured re addresses registered to vote etc then the tax implications of the sales don't add up. Its a 'one or the other is wrong' accusation
    That is nonsense. You can be registered to vote at multiple addresses.

Someone should ask GMP to investige Mr Daly for wasting police time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If I was under 30 I think that the triple lock would have me looking seriously for emigration. It is an outrageous penalty on the young and poor for the benefit of the old and comfortable.

221.20 a week is not comfortable. Taper it down to 50% for all based on income only as a mitigation
  • Options
    edited March 27
    Taz said:

mwadams said:

Donkeys said:

It is.

She could have my neighbours that crap on my lawn from time to time for the purposes of the excercise.
    I think the cat would be quite enough, surely ?

And your neighbours crap on your lawn
    ??

And they do it for exercise ???
  • Options

Any thoughts, anyone?

I am not an English lawyer and have only the vaguest understanding of English property law but I suspect that any attempt to repeal leasehold is going to (a) be inordinately complicated and is unlikely to take a single Parliament and (b) will involve some buying out of the freehold interest because Article 1 Protocol 1 of ECHR would very likely be breached otherwise. If you acquire a further 90 years it seems very likely to me that that would be reflected in the value of any remaining freehold and you would get your money back with a good chance of getting it back and then some given the numbers you are talking about.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    a

Is this about declaring residence when a candidate?
  • Options
    edited March 27
    DavidL said:

The full state pension is currently a meagre £10,600 pa, lower than most (all?) comparable countries, and not much to live on if a pensioner has no other significant source of income. It would be better policy to maintain the triple lock until the differential narrows further, while at the same time using the tax system to claw back much more money from those who also benefit from a significant private/public sector pension and/or large savings.
  • Options
    Sadly I think the header is correct. The only chance of removing the triple lock I can see is by deception, offering a quadruple lock that is weaker than the current triple one. Someone like Boris might be able to get that through, not a Starmer type plan though.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,400

James Daly, the MP for Bury North, would be better advised to investigate his own job prospects. He is the proud owner of the smallest Tory majority (105) in the country, and is toast.
    It is hard to see what the advantage is for the government. Even if Rayner is forced out of the Commons, how does that help the Conservatives? She will be replaced and her replacement will win. Net gain, zero. And coming so soon after the anti-London video, it smacks of dirty tricks.
  • Options

a

Dont think she stood as a candidate til 2015.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

mwadams said:

Donkeys said:

It is.

I think the cat would be quite enough, surely ?

And your neighbours crap on your lawn
    ??

And they do it for exercise ???
    Good point. Always assumed it was their cats. May be them !!!
  • Options

a

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/guidance-candidates-and-agents-uk-parliamentary-elections-great-britain/what-you-need-know-you-stand-a-candidate/qualifications-and-disqualifications-standing-election/qualifications
    ...To be able to stand as a candidate at a UK Parliamentary by-election in Great Britain you must:

be at least 18 years old1
    be a British citizen, a citizen of the Republic of Ireland, or an eligible Commonwealth citizen2
    An eligible Commonwealth citizen is a Commonwealth citizen who either:

does not need leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom, or
    has indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom
    Citizens of other countries are not eligible to become a Member of the UK Parliament.

There is no requirement in law for you to be a registered elector in the UK.
  • Options

DavidL said:

The full state pension is currently a meagre £10,600 pa, lower than most (all?) comparable countries, and not much to live on if a pensioner has no other significant source of income. It would be better policy to maintain the triple lock until the differential narrows further, while at the same time using the tax system to claw back much more money from those who also benefit from a significant private/public sector pension and/or large savings.
    That's effectively what happens - the full state pension will go up to £11,440 in April so anyone with a private pension of more than £1,130 will be paying income tax. Unless income tax allowances go up the basic state pension will soon exceed the personal allowance so all pensioners will be taxed.
  • Options

Providing false information about where you live and are registered to vote to the EC is a criminal offence, that isn't nonsense. I'm not accusing her, just saying what they are being asked to look at
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Zack Polanski
    @ZackPolanski
    ·
    5h
    💚 For the first time ever in our history ,@TheGreenParty will be standing in every single constituency in England & Wales.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If this about helping the poorest lets boost pension credit significantly, keep the triple lock for those and take away the triple lock for the wealthy pensioners.

Unsurprisingly richer pensioners who use the argument about protecting the poor tend to go quiet when this option is raised.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,229

No no no. Labour Has No Plan. Would take us back to square one. Starmer defends terrorist donkeys. And now Rayner has stolen £107m from the taxpayer with her dodgy PPE contract.

Now that the people's friend Mr Daly has exposed her, not only will he win re-election, so will the government - huzzah! Not at all corrupt contracts all round!

There is desperate. Deluded. Stupid. This is all three and then some.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    A classic example of opinion polling being a waste of time.
  • Options

DavidL said:

That's effectively what happens - the full state pension will go up to £11,440 in April so anyone with a private pension of more than £1,130 will be paying income tax. Unless income tax allowances go up the basic state pension will soon exceed the personal allowance so all pensioners will be taxed.
    Yes I know, but we don't pay NI, so we have a lower tax rate in effect than workers. I don't think this should be the case.
  • Options
    edited March 27

Providing false information about where you live and are registered to vote to the EC is a criminal offence, that isn't nonsense. I'm not accusing her, just saying what they are being asked to look at
    But you absolutely can be registered to vote at an address that is not your primary residence for CGT purposes. It is wasting police time to pretend that one determines what the other should be.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    rcs1000 said:

One livestreams it on Twitch.

Twitch?

OK, Grandad...
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,227

a

Consent to nomination qualifications I imagine. This does look like awfully thin gruel.
  • Options

DavidL said:

About £900 per month. Even with no mortgage in the north of england thats subsistence living. However if you have 2 state pensions coming in that goes to £1800 per month which is pretty reasonable.
  • Options

DavidL said:

221.20 a week is not comfortable. Taper it down to 50% for all based on income only as a mitigation
    I agree it isn't. But what pisses me off is that the rate at which it is paid is the same for those with private or public sector pensions of £60K a year or more. We need to spend more on poor pensioners and much, much less on those who have other income. The Universal state pension is an idiocy which should be abolished.

As for some poor sod on minimum wage on zero hours with University fee debts to pay forking out for it in his taxes? It is grossly immoral.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225

Any thoughts, anyone?

Things could have changed since my involvement with this area but the magic number used to be 80 years.

If you let your leasehold remaining term approach down to and below this the extension (or freehold purchase) gets sharply more expensive because of how the formula for computing it works. It's not linear, there's a step increase.

People would buy freeholds with outstanding leases of say 83 years then a few years later, if the leaseholder failed to extend or purchase, they'd make a killing because the price would have rocketed.

It was quite a quirk. But like most of my knowledge on most topics it could be out of date.
  • Options

Zack Polanski
    @ZackPolanski
    ·
    5h
    💚 For the first time ever in our history ,@TheGreenParty will be standing in every single constituency in England & Wales.

Given the current state of the government deficit this is excellent news.
  • Options

It is hard to see what the advantage is for the government. Even if Rayner is forced out of the Commons, how does that help the Conservatives? She will be replaced and her replacement will win. Net gain, zero. And coming so soon after the anti-London video, it smacks of dirty tricks.
    It's only dirty tricks if she has done nothing wrong. If she has indeed done nothing wrong then she can cash in on the 'Tories out to get the working class woman' angle
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I agree it isn't. But what pisses me off is that the rate at which it is paid is the same for those with private or public sector pensions of £60K a year or more. We need to spend more on poor pensioners and much, much less on those who have other income. The Universal state pension is an idiocy which should be abolished.

As for some poor sod on minimum wage on zero hours with University fee debts to pay forking out for it in his taxes? It is grossly immoral.
    As i say the majority of pensioners with 2 state pensions coming in will be ok. Its those left on their own who will struggle.
  • Options

Unless the process has changed since I was an agent in 2015 candidates do not provide information to the electoral commission - everything goes to local returning officers and they check that the candidate's address on their nomination form corresponds to their electoral register record when papers are submitted. There's no scope for giving a false address, and nor is there any reason for a candidate to do so. At one time candidates' full addresses were printed on ballot papers but this is no longer a requirement, though candidates can still opt for it if they wish.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed. Taper it down based on other income. Although everyone should get 'some' pension
  • Options

It's only dirty tricks if she has done nothing wrong. If she has indeed done nothing wrong then she can cash in on the 'Tories out to get the working class woman' angle
    Also the tories out to get the single mum angle. Remember Peter Lilley in the 90s.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,225
    Taz said:

mwadams said:

Donkeys said:

It is.

No 'cruelty to cats' talk please. I've got one now and it's love. From my side anyway.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    One day we'll be old too :lol:
  • Options

Unless the process has changed since I was an agent in 2015 candidates do not provide information to the electoral commission - everything goes to local returning officers and they check that the candidate's address on their nomination form corresponds to their electoral register record when papers are submitted. There's no scope for giving a false address, and nor is there any reason for a candidate to do so. At one time candidates' full addresses were printed on ballot papers but this is no longer a requirement, though candidates can still opt for it if they wish.
    My understanding is its nothing to do with candidacy in 2015, its about her and her husband having separate addresses for many years and that where she says she lived as her principle residence her neighbours knew her as the landlady. That's what was accused and that it was so CGT on selling her council house could be avoided.
    I make no accusation myself, but that's what I believe has been alleged
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Zack Polanski
    @ZackPolanski
    ·
    5h

How many lost deposits for the Green Tories?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Agreed. Taper it down based on other income. Although everyone should get 'some' pension
    The best way, and most consistent with declared political policy over the state pension, is to apply the triple lock (at least), to tax wealthier pensioners (me for example) properly, and (before all else) to get rid of fiscal drag.

The poorest pensioners pay little tax BUT the effect of tax kicking in at £12.5K when you have an income of £17,000 (for example) is much harsher on the poor than on the wealthy. When you are poor, a little is a lot. No-one should be paying income tax on earnings a lot less than minimum wage.
  • Options
    edited March 27

Zack Polanski
    @ZackPolanski
    ·
    5h

How many lost deposits for the Green Tories?
    375 plus
    Probably 400 to 450
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

mwadams said:

Donkeys said:

It is.

No 'cruelty to cats' talk please. I've got one now and it's love. From my side anyway.
    Cats rule. Cruelty to cats is distilled evil
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

100% agree with this. My parents refer to pension day as “free money day” - which I find very crass. My mum would need it if on her own. But dad has a final salary pension that goes up with inflation (previously RPI - but I think this has changed recently). Fair play he worked a long time (as did my mum). But difficult to argue that they need this money.
  • Options

Given the current leadership and policies i wouldn't describe myself as a Tory anymore but is this not exactly the sort of person that Maggie tried so hard to help during her Premiership, not only because she thought it was a good thing in itself but because she believed that a property owning democracy was both more law abiding and more likely to vote Tory.

Its pretty sad that the modern Tory has such a problem with someone who had tried to make something of herself. They really need to reflect what their values actually are.
  • Options
    This is from the US a country in a better position than the uk.

In case you were thinking of retiring some day, bad news from Janet Yellen:

Social Security and Medicare are now underfunded by $175 trillion.

That comes to roughly $1.4 million per American household.

There are only 3 solutions:
    - slash beneficiaries
    - massively hike taxes, or
    - cut everybody’s benefit to poverty level.

https://x.com/profstonge/status/1772962369007767849?s=20