Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Election postponed – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited February 4 in General
imageElection postponed – politicalbetting.com

There is much betting interest on the date of the next general election. Might it be in May, or November? The one thing we do know is that it can’t be any later than January 2025, because that’s the deadline set by law.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,941
    .. First?
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    Second like the DUP.

I guess that's supposed to be Feb 2025?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,266
    @bondegezou

Interesting, thanks.

The point, of course, is to avoid bringing matters to a head. What was it the Derryman said about the prospects for the future in 2005? 'I'd say they were indefinite. And maybe even longer than that.'

What annoys me more is we're still paying the fuckers. If they can't be bothered to work, they shouldn't be getting cash.

(Speaking of which, haven't they been postponed until February 2025?)
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,468

Second like the DUP.

I suspect that Ian Paisley Sr's "Never! Never! Never!" might be closer to the mark, unfortunately.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056
    ohnotnow said:

.. First?

ohnotnow said:

.. First?

FPT

You fix everyone’s computer without regard to their gender or religion

Your buttons are neither black nor white.

You’re welcome.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited January 29
    It's being reported that Zelensky has fired General Zaluzhnyi although it's being officially denied for now.

https://kyivindependent.com/commander-in-chief-zaluzhnyi/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    What is the point of a deadline that is never enforced?

Quite. Is there any strategy here? Just constantly kicking the can doesn't seem to be healing divides.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    edited January 29
    TimS said:

boulay said:

Kemi Badenoch is a member of a Conservative WhatsApp group called “Evil Plotters” despite telling party rebels to “stop messing around” and get behind Rishi Sunak, the Guardian can reveal.

The business secretary, who consistently comes out as the favourite cabinet minister in polls of Tory members, has criticised party colleagues for “stirring” up suggestions that she could replace the prime minister.

In a round of broadcast interviews on Sunday, she dismissed speculation over the plot to topple Sunak as “Westminster tittle-tattle” and said colleagues who put her name forward as an alternative were “not my friends”.

However, the Guardian has been told that Badenoch and Michael Gove, the levelling up secretary, who is regarded as a key backer, are members of a WhatsApp group of similarly minded Tory MPs who are rallying round the business secretary’s longer-term ambitions.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/29/kemi-badenoch-member-evil-plotters-tory-whatsapp-group?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I’m still completely lost about how she is considered a favourite by party members. I really cannot think of anything memorable about her so far except some rumblings about he being anti-woke.

The party is truly embuggered if that’s all that’s needed to be next leader instead of any substance or high level experience.
    She is wooden at best, mostly invisible. No idea what the point of her is.
    I wouldn’t describe her as wooden. She’s a confident speaker and polemicist, and more charismatic than most of her Tory peers.

She does strike me as pretty arrogant though. Every time I’ve seen her debating someone in parliament or TV she’s had a bit of a sneery teenage edge to her. I sensed similar at an event where she came to speak.

Kemi Badenoch is an enigma to me. I feel somehow she isn't as stupid as she appears to be, or as the rest of the Conservative stable. In the unlikely event I got a say in the next Tory leader selection, I wouldn't know whether to vote for her.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    kle4 said:

Quite. Is there any strategy here? Just constantly kicking the can doesn't seem to be healing divides.

There are no votes in Northern Ireland, quite literally, for this Government or the one in waiting. They're quite content to leave the place to rot so long as the shooting doesn't start again.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,573
    Interesting moves on EU vs Hungary, wrt the EU pivoting from Carrot to Biggus Stickus.

Does anyone know the detail?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    FPT - although @Pagan2 got some pushback for his stance, I have sympathy for it, even if I disagree: if he were to vote for a party he considers as terrible (but slightly less terrible than the others), that party would count his vote as a positive endorsement and (if it won) towards a mandate in favour of its manifesto.

Which I can see as very much grating if you disagree with it all. The right to vote, in my eyes, has to include the right not to vote (and not to need one to jump through hoops to avoid voting, either).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, the strategy is that Sunak doesn't want to unpick the oven ready Brexit deal any more, so when Starmer becomes PM, he can be accused of betraying Brexit.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
    @MrHarryCole

EXC: More than 20 serving Tory ministers may vote against or abstain on Sunak’s landmark smoking ban — amid confusion whether throwaway vape ban will also be a free vote

LOSER
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    edited January 29
    FF43 said:

We need an NI politics expert on here. I miss the headers from @TheGreenMachine.

My ignorant take is that the DUP refuse to be Deputy First Minister to Sinn Féin, which is the real reason to stop Stormont sitting.

Whatever happened to the OUP supporting guy who used to comment regularly?
    @Lucian_Fletcher was it?
    Apologies if wrong.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,857

FPT - although @Pagan2 got some pushback for his stance, I have sympathy for it, even if I disagree: if he were to vote for a party he considers as terrible (but slightly less terrible than the others), that party would count his vote as a positive endorsement and (if it won) towards a mandate in favour of its manifesto.

Which I can see as very much grating if you disagree with it all. The right to vote, in my eyes, has to include the right not to vote (and not to need one to jump through hoops to avoid voting, either).

Yes but in order to have a positive abstention or vote for None of the Above (NOTA) recorded, you have to as, it were, vote. Abstaining by not voting is one thing but to register a positive vote against all the candidates is something else.

That should be allowed - the ballot paper shpuld have the option NOTA or similar. Should there be a threshold in any constitiuency which, if reached by NOTA, would force a re-run of the elecrion? Presumably, if NOTA gets more "votes" then any of the other candidates, we can say the election is voided.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    stodge said:

Yes but in order to have a positive abstention or vote for None of the Above (NOTA) recorded, you have to as, it were, vote. Abstaining by not voting is one thing but to register a positive vote against all the candidates is something else.

That should be allowed - the ballot paper shpuld have the option NOTA or similar. Should there be a threshold in any constitiuency which, if reached by NOTA, would force a re-run of the elecrion? Presumably, if NOTA gets more "votes" then any of the other candidates, we can say the election is voided.
    Better - if NOTA wins, all the previous candidates are barred from the re-run.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    stodge said:

I like that idea. Although, you'd need to have a mechanism to encourage a different result in the re-run. None of the candidates are allowed to stand again? Re-run candidates not allowed to be members of a political party?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    stodge said:

Ah, that reminds me of student politics, where we'd actively campaign for "Ron", i.e. Re-Open Nominations.

Got him elected a few times too. :smile:
  • Options
    Interesting thread header - thank you @bondegezou.

I agree with @ydoethur - why are these NI Assembly memebers being paid if they refuse to work?
  • Options

stodge said:

There would (or could) be the slight issue that you have a General Election, and Ron does so well that the Commons has too few members to be sure of who the winner is. Unlikely, I guess, but in these febrile times.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Disagree.
    That stance assumes that going down to vote is “good” behaviour and that we should encourage - or even coerce or compel - that behaviour.
    If one genuinely sees the choice as being equivalent to choosing between syphilis or herpes, or between Laurence Fox and Ron DeSantis, then it’s perfectly rational to prefer, say, spending family time with ones’ children, or wife, or going for a nice meal out as a family.

Just because I think one should vote (and I do; I even go to vote in PCC by-elections) doesn’t mean that my view should be pressed on others. Let votes be earned, not compelled. And if people may be “lazy”, let them. Those who do not wish to vote do not have to prove their worth to us, that they aren’t “lazy”, and those who are too “lazy” to vote simply lose their own voice as “punishment” when they could have made it heard.

(Disclaimer: I did once think people should be required to record a NOTA vote until I thought through it a bit more)
  • Options
    What was that on the previous thread about Jan 6 subpoenas to Congress? Didn't really understand it.
  • Options

stodge said:

Now THAT could actively earn abstention votes.
    And incentivise those who feel as Pagan2 does to have something to vote for with the prospect of actually causing some kind of change. Especially if the losing parties are also banned from the rerun
  • Options

stodge said:

Disagree.
    That stance assumes that going down to vote is “good” behaviour and that we should encourage - or even coerce or compel - that behaviour.
    If one genuinely sees the choice as being equivalent to choosing between syphilis or herpes, or between Laurence Fox and Ron DeSantis, then it’s perfectly rational to prefer, say, spending family time with ones’ children, or wife, or going for a nice meal out as a family.

Just because I think one should vote (and I do; I even go to vote in PCC by-elections) doesn’t mean that my view should be pressed on others. Let votes be earned, not compelled. And if people may be “lazy”, let them. Those who do not wish to vote do not have to prove their worth to us, that they aren’t “lazy”, and those who are too “lazy” to vote simply lose their own voice as “punishment” when they could have made it heard.

(Disclaimer: I did once think people should be required to record a NOTA vote until I thought through it a bit more)
    I do think it's important to distinguish between "I had better things to do than head down the polling station" and "Getting a good MP is really important, and none of these are up to it".

The addition of Ron to the ballot adds the ability of voters to express their displeasure with the choices they've been offered.
  • Options

stodge said:

And incentivise those who feel as Pagan2 does to have something to vote for with the prospect of actually causing some kind of change. Especially if the losing parties are also banned from the rerun
    Hmmm: not quite so sure about that. What if I like the Labour Party, but would never vote for Corbyn?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    edited January 29
    The current madness in a nutshell. Years of Tory decline.

Nottingham council proposing to close a big park and ride site to save money even though it is the overspill for major regional hospital.

Means loads of people struggling to park when they have appointments will be late and - guess what - yet again the NHS starts to fall over even more than now.

When the fuck in this country are we going to elect politicians and employ civil servants who understand joined up, long term thinking and strategy and not their own little silo??

• Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    Have we heard from any more generals, of the armchair variety or otherwise, who wish to reward the nation's youth for a lifetime of being treated like excrement with an exciting opportunity to be forcibly imprisoned in mouldy barracks, paid about 37p per week, and then shipped eastwards to be given a one-in-five chance of having their brains blown out by Russian artillery shelling in a trench somewhere near the Latvian border?

If I were some recent graduate with a debt comparable to that of a medium-sized African country being screamed at and brutalised by some bellend of a corporal, I think I'd be more inclined to point my assault rifle in the general direction of my supposed superiors than Vladimir Putin. Them again, some bright spark could always propose that conscription should begin not with blameless twenty somethings but with the various classes of rich parasites in society, who wank themselves silly at the thought of the children of the poor being butchered, just so that they can continued to enjoy their vast, unearned, property speculation derived wealth? That might just put a stop to the flag shagging rhetoric.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

I do think it's important to distinguish between "I had better things to do than head down the polling station" and "Getting a good MP is really important, and none of these are up to it".

The addition of Ron to the ballot adds the ability of voters to express their displeasure with the choices they've been offered.
    Seems an unusual role for DeSantis.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,119
    FF43 said:

TimS said:

boulay said:

Kemi Badenoch is a member of a Conservative WhatsApp group called “Evil Plotters” despite telling party rebels to “stop messing around” and get behind Rishi Sunak, the Guardian can reveal.

The business secretary, who consistently comes out as the favourite cabinet minister in polls of Tory members, has criticised party colleagues for “stirring” up suggestions that she could replace the prime minister.

In a round of broadcast interviews on Sunday, she dismissed speculation over the plot to topple Sunak as “Westminster tittle-tattle” and said colleagues who put her name forward as an alternative were “not my friends”.

However, the Guardian has been told that Badenoch and Michael Gove, the levelling up secretary, who is regarded as a key backer, are members of a WhatsApp group of similarly minded Tory MPs who are rallying round the business secretary’s longer-term ambitions.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/29/kemi-badenoch-member-evil-plotters-tory-whatsapp-group?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I’m still completely lost about how she is considered a favourite by party members. I really cannot think of anything memorable about her so far except some rumblings about he being anti-woke.

The party is truly embuggered if that’s all that’s needed to be next leader instead of any substance or high level experience.
    I wouldn’t describe her as wooden. She’s a confident speaker and polemicist, and more charismatic than most of her Tory peers.

She does strike me as pretty arrogant though. Every time I’ve seen her debating someone in parliament or TV she’s had a bit of a sneery teenage edge to her. I sensed similar at an event where she came to speak.

Kemi Badenoch is an enigma to me. I feel somehow she isn't as stupid as she appears to be, or as the rest of the Conservative stable. In the unlikely event I got a say in the next Tory leader selection, I wouldn't know whether to vote for her.
    Unlike many of her colleagues she’s smart enough to know that not saying anything very much at all postpones a reckoning on her stupidity. The kids identifying as cats stuff doesn’t augur well though.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    FF43 said:

TimS said:

boulay said:

I have a small but real hope that she will be the Tory Starmer - become leader by saying the right things for the members and then return to some sort of centrism.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581

What was that on the previous thread about Jan 6 subpoenas to Congress? Didn't really understand it.

Federal grand jury, at request of Department of Justice, has issued subpoenas for documents pertaining to Jan 6, to US House of Representatives sergeant at arms.

So you've got all three branches of the federal government involved! Most especially the Speaker of the House.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,790

I agree with @ydoethur - why are these NI Assembly memebers being paid if they refuse to work?

Because taxpayers vote for them?

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,639

Second like the DUP.

Yes! It is a delight to have a piece published on PB and, as is traditional, I made a typo. :smile:
  • Options

Nottingham council proposing to close a big park and ride site to save money even though it is the overspill for major regional hospital.

Means loads of people struggling to park when they have appointments will be late and - guess what - yet again the NHS starts to fall over even more than now.

When the fuck in this country are we going to elect politicians and employ civil servants who understand joined up, long term thinking and strategy and not their own little silo??

That is exactly the problem at our hospital here in North Wales with park and ride stopped a couple of years ago and the car parks during the day full

The hospital is planning a multi storey car park sometime in the future but on each occasion I have had to go to the hospital I have had either my son or daughter drive me and my wife for my appointments

I was told to park on yellow lines or disabled parking spaces as the hospital does not enforce any of these breaches

And Labour has been in power in the Senedd continuously since it's inception in 1999
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

As long as RON is meaningful. I've seen proposals where RON votes are simply ignored, which seems pointless.
    I have wondered if, for possible House of Lords elections, the turnout figure could drive the number of corss-bencher peers.

(for example - if the Lords had 500 seats, turnout was 65%, and of those 65%, 25 voted Labour, 20 Conservative, 7 Lib Dem, 3 SNP, 3 Green, 3 Reform, 2 Plaid, 2 for other parties, then we'd have:

125 Labour peers
    100 Tory Peers
    28 Lib Dem peers
    12 SNP peers
    12 Green peers
    12 Reform peers
    8 Plaid peers
    8 from other parties,
    and 140 cross-benchers.
    (Each party would have a sort of "pool" of peers to nominate for each annual session, up to their number of peers from the election)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Seems an unusual role for DeSantis.
    Well, he's looking for new opportunities.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Hmmm: not quite so sure about that. What if I like the Labour Party, but would never vote for Corbyn?
    Problem.
    (This is where I prefer STV, anyway, where this could be resolved to a degree.)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    ydoethur said:

@bondegezou

Interesting, thanks.

The point, of course, is to avoid bringing matters to a head. What was it the Derryman said about the prospects for the future in 2005? 'I'd say they were indefinite. And maybe even longer than that.'

What annoys me more is we're still paying the fuckers. If they can't be bothered to work, they shouldn't be getting cash.

(Speaking of which, haven't they been postponed until February 2025?)

"These dissidents who say that they're about bringing about the reunification of Ireland will never reunite Ireland in a million years with the type of approach they're adopting at the moment," McGuinness said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-irish-mcguinness-idUKTRE52F69220090316/
  • Options
    edited January 29

That is exactly the problem at our hospital here in North Wales with park and ride stopped a couple of years ago and the car parks during the day full

The hospital is planning a multi storey car park sometime in the future but on each occasion I have had to go to the hospital I have had either my son or daughter drive me and my wife for my appointments

I was told to park on yellow lines or disabled parking spaces as the hospital does not enforce any of these breaches

And Labour has been in power in the Senedd continuously since it's inception in 1999
    Yes, but for almost all that period the overall WG budget* has been determined by the Conservatives (in coalition with the LDs for 5 years).

*pretty much
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,857

stodge said:

Disagree.

I don't agree wth that at all.

I understand the point but you're implying that by definition those who choose not to vote do so because they don't want to vote for any of the candidates. That might be true, it may not.

Of course, a ballot paper can be spoilt and that is recorded but if we're going to use turnout (or a lack of it) to legitimise elections, what about local elections with a 30% turnout - what of local by-elections with 15% turnout or smaller?

You can't have it both ways - if you want to register a vote against all the candidates, fine, more than happy for that to be included on a basllot paper but not the assumption of abstention.

I'll give you another example - what happens if I want to support a party but I don't like the local candidate or support that candidate's position on a particular local issue? As we are geographically locked in to constituencies, we are forced to vote for the candidate each party puts in front of us. Plenty on here would support the constituency link to the last but it's deeply flawed.

There are plenty of electoral systems which enable both a constituency AND a national party vote but the argument is it creates two "classes" of MP. Many democracies function quite happily on that basis.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    The solution to Northern Ireland would be an independence referendum ... in GB.

"England, Wales and Scotland should be an independent country. Yes or No."
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    I see Akehurst has got another Political enemy suspended from the PLP

https://wikispooks.com/wiki/File:Zionist_Shitlord.jpg
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited January 29
    Carnyx said:

Yes, but for almost all that period the overall budget has been determined by the Conservatives (in coalition with the LDs for 5 years).
    Wales receives £1.20 to every £1.00 in England

And it is how money is spent

Welsh Government's take-it-or-leave-it offer for electric trucks sparks backlash

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-governments-take-leave-offer-28519874#ICID=Android_DailyPostNewsApp_AppShare
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,673

Our previous CEO at my Trust spent several million on a multi-storey carpark at the Leicester Royal Infirmary. He braced himself for abuse for not spending the capital on Cancer/Children etc etc.

He said that it was the most popular decision in his 10 year term, never got anything but thank yous!
  • Options

Of course, England, Wales and Scotland would be the ones leaving the Union, so that would mean that the remaining entity - Northern Ireland - gets to keep the debt.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

We need an NI politics expert on here. I miss the headers from @TheGreenMachine.

My ignorant take is that the DUP refuse to be Deputy First Minister to Sinn Féin, which is the real reason to stop Stormont sitting.

Indeed. First Minister and Deputy First Minister have exactly the same powers, so it shouldn't matter, but it does seem like, Brexit issues aside, the DUP is smarting at coming second.

But what are they going to do about it? They were nearly 8% behind Sinn Fein at last year's local elections. They've been behind SF in every Assembly poll and the solitary general election poll (that's on Wikipedia, at least) since Brexit. What do they think a new Labour government is going to give them that Sunak won't? There are tensions within the DUP about their current strategy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Problem.
    I think NOTA, RON could be trivially included in all local and general election ballots. I doubt it'd win a single box tbh. But the option would be there.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Our previous CEO at my Trust spent several million on a multi-storey carpark at the Leicester Royal Infirmary. He braced himself for abuse for not spending the capital on Cancer/Children etc etc.

He said that it was the most popular decision in his 10 year term, never got anything but thank yous!
    It would be here in North Wales but it needs to happen
  • Options

The Government has docked their pay somewhat: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/northern-ireland-secretary-announces-275-reduction-to-mla-pay
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Some context for Leon’s next claim of having an enormous IQ.
    https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1751784236556644625
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Problem.
    I think NOTA, RON could be trivially included in all local and general election ballots. I doubt it'd win a single box tbh. But the option would be there.
    I presume you mean "contest" rather than "box".
  • Options

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    9h
    We've now had more consecutive polls with the Tories below 30% than at any previous point since regular UK polling began.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Of course, England, Wales and Scotland would be the ones leaving the Union, so that would mean that the remaining entity - Northern Ireland - gets to keep the debt.
    Northern Ireland = British Administered Ireland :innocent:
  • Options

Foxy said:

But hasn't Conwy been under Tory and Independent control for the last 4-5 years? That's when the park and ride stopped - one or the other was controlling it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

FF43 said:

Indeed. First Minister and Deputy First Minister have exactly the same powers, so it shouldn't matter, but it does seem like, Brexit issues aside, the DUP is smarting at coming second.

But what are they going to do about it? They were nearly 8% behind Sinn Fein at last year's local elections. They've been behind SF in every Assembly poll and the solitary general election poll (that's on Wikipedia, at least) since Brexit. What do they think a new Labour government is going to give them that Sunak won't? There are tensions within the DUP about their current strategy.
    In fact, I think they are extremely likely to go back into government. They’re meeting about it, as we speak.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

I understand the point but you're implying that by definition those who choose not to vote do so because they don't want to vote for any of the candidates. That might be true, it may not.

Of course, a ballot paper can be spoilt and that is recorded but if we're going to use turnout (or a lack of it) to legitimise elections, what about local elections with a 30% turnout - what of local by-elections with 15% turnout or smaller?

You can't have it both ways - if you want to register a vote against all the candidates, fine, more than happy for that to be included on a basllot paper but not the assumption of abstention.

I'll give you another example - what happens if I want to support a party but I don't like the local candidate or support that candidate's position on a particular local issue? As we are geographically locked in to constituencies, we are forced to vote for the candidate each party puts in front of us. Plenty on here would support the constituency link to the last but it's deeply flawed.

There are plenty of electoral systems which enable both a constituency AND a national party vote but the argument is it creates two "classes" of MP. Many democracies function quite happily on that basis.
    Two classes of MP.

The former, glorified social workers.

The latter, doing what they should be doing.

I would get rid of the constituency link altogether and just have a pool of MPs who are able to focus on national priorities, world events and the big picture, not the roadworks outside the local primary school or Mrs Smith's noisy neighbours.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

And the nukes?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And the nukes?
    Derry Harbour, I imagine.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

rcs1000 said:

And the nukes?
    And the seat on the UN Security Council etc
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

But hasn't Conwy been under Tory and Independent control for the last 4-5 years? That's when the park and ride stopped - one or the other was controlling it.
    It comes under labour controlled Denbighshire CC
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Nope; I specifically say that those who don’t vote fall into both categories (those who dislike all and those who can’t be bothered). And also that voting (or recording “no vote”) should never be compulsory or coerced.

RON/NOTA would be welcome as it gives those who dislike all an option.
    My strong preference is for an STV system, anyway, which gives you the way around your suggested problem.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

It comes under labour controlled Denbighshire CC
    Ah, thanks.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,673
    Nigelb said:

Some context for Leon’s next claim of having an enormous IQ.
    https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1751784236556644625

I love this comment below:

"People have started calling Boebert, “Trailer Swift,” and it’s mean but also a little funny."
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Punjab = Indian administered Khalistan
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641

stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Two classes of MP.

I would get rid of the constituency link altogether and just have a pool of MPs who are able to focus on national priorities, world events and the big picture, not the roadworks outside the local primary school or Mrs Smith's noisy neighbours.
    Another advantage of STV is that it preserves a form of constituency link but with two key improvements (aside from being proportional):

1. The constituencies are larger so you get more meaningful economic units and less of the really local stuff that should be the focus of (stronger, more devolved) local government, and
    2. You get several members, usually from at least 2 parties, meaning you’re not dependent on your one local MP giving a damn or not
  • Options
    edited January 29
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Problem.
    NOTA got 6.5 MILLION votes at the last Indian election (2019)! 1% of all votes.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And the nukes?
    And the seat on the UN Security Council etc
    I like that. I think the Northern Irish could do more with that seat than we do.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

In fact, I think they are extremely likely to go back into government. They’re meeting about it, as we speak.
    I see my article had a big impact then!

But, yes, they've been discussing it for a while, although I thought the mood was they'd stick with the boycott. If they do go back into government, that's good news, I think. But what will it do for their vote at the general election? Will it bring back more moderate voters who didn't like the boycott? Maybe it's too late for that. Will it piss off more hardline voters who think the boycott was for nothing? The TUV could repeat their 2019 decision and not stand, reducing the danger to the DUP, but they could still suffer from people voting RON.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leeds = Yorkshire administered East Lancs.
  • Options

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    9h
    We've now had more consecutive polls with the Tories below 30% than at any previous point since regular UK polling began.

No Tory polls leads since 6th December 2021 (Redfield).
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    9h

Why is he allowed to post from Federal Prison and when did he start showing an interest in U.K. politics? Did any of the shady FTX money get paid as “donations” this side of the pond?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    On topic, it's amazing the sheer amount of pointless vandalism Brexit has wrought across the UK that we just shrug and take for granted.
  • Options
    edited January 29

rcs1000 said:

You forgot the Pakistan administered bit (far larger than India's!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjab,_Pakistan
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjab
  • Options
    TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Two classes of MP.

Another advantage of STV is that it preserves a form of constituency link but with two key improvements (aside from being proportional):

1. The constituencies are larger so you get more meaningful economic units and less of the really local stuff that should be the focus of (stronger, more devolved) local government, and
    2. You get several members, usually from at least 2 parties, meaning you’re not dependent on your one local MP giving a damn or not
    But it takes 5 days to count the votes and nobody can understand the result.
  • Options
    BBC report on DUP considering a deal: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-68124728

The report is optimistic, but suggests some hurdles remain. I am sceptical that most DUP or former DUP voters will be that impressed by whatever the deal is.
  • Options

TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Two classes of MP.

In the US, it takes more than 5 days to count the FPTP vote (or they call it WTA) and nobody believes the result.
  • Options

Federal grand jury, at request of Department of Justice, has issued subpoenas for documents pertaining to Jan 6, to US House of Representatives sergeant at arms.

So you've got all three branches of the federal government involved! Most especially the Speaker of the House.
    I was very surprised to learn that England & Wales only did away with Grand Juries as recently as the 1920s
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641

TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Two classes of MP.

In the US, it takes more than 5 days to count the FPTP vote (or they call it WTA) and nobody believes the result.
    Under UK FPTP it has taken 5 years to count the cost.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

But, yes, they've been discussing it for a while, although I thought the mood was they'd stick with the boycott. If they do go back into government, that's good news, I think. But what will it do for their vote at the general election? Will it bring back more moderate voters who didn't like the boycott? Maybe it's too late for that. Will it piss off more hardline voters who think the boycott was for nothing? The TUV could repeat their 2019 decision and not stand, reducing the danger to the DUP, but they could still suffer from people voting RON.
    Ultimately, a boycott does not help unionists’ overall vote share. Donaldson has restored the DUP polling share from 13% to 28%, and got TUV down to 4%. Now, he’ll want to try winning votes back from Alliance. North Down, East Belfast, Strangford, East Antrim, South Antrim, Lagan Valley, have a huge Alliance vote, most of which is small u unionist.

TUV is only really a threat in North Antrim.
  • Options

TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Two classes of MP.

It took 5 WEEKS for everybody to actually vote in India in 2019 (FPTP). Electronic voting did speed things up on the counting front tho.
  • Options
    What London needs is to rollout a payment system that allows you to “tap and go” with your Oyster card in shops, pubs etc. It would be simplicity to set up a machine that you tap your blue card against to pay for everyday items without carrying cash.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Ultimately, a boycott does not help unionists’ overall vote share. Donaldson has restored the DUP polling share from 13% to 28%, and got TUV down to 4%. Now, he’ll want to try winning votes back from Alliance. North Down, East Belfast, Strangford, East Antrim, South Antrim, Lagan Valley, have a huge Alliance vote, most of which is small u unionist.

The best thing for Alliance, I posit, is a restored Assembly where people can see their greatly increased MLA numbers (more than doubled, leapfrogging the UUP and SDLP). The cat is out of the bag: people see Alliance as a serious force now, not just an afterthought.
  • Options

TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Two classes of MP.

It took 5 WEEKS for everybody to actually vote in India in 2019 (FPTP). Electronic voting did speed things up on the counting front tho.
    It takes a long time to distribute the bribes before the votes can be harvested.
  • Options

A new thread already?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Two classes of MP.

Add in weeks for the legal challenges.
  • Options

TimS said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Disagree.

Two classes of MP.

It takes a long time to distribute the bribes before the votes can be harvested.
    Vellore, Tamil Nadu: Over ₹11 crore (US$1.4 million) in cash was seized in Vellore from DMK leaders – a regional party in Tamil Nadu. According to The News Minute, this cash is alleged to have been for bribing the voters.[25] Based on the evidence collected during the raids, the Election Commission of India cancelled the 18 April election date in the Vellore constituency. The DMK leaders denied wrongdoing and alleged a conspiracy.[26]
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    FF43 said:

TimS said:

boulay said:

It feels that Badenoch, like Sunak, suffers form the disease of a generation of Tory politicians used to fairly easy successes and thinking they represent the eternal will of the people. She's clearly smart, and is more thoughtful in her arguments for the right than say, Truss, Braverman or delusional fruitbats like Frost and Hannan.

Yet like Sunak seems to have never developed the skill of understanding where your opponents are coming from, that they might actually have some worthwhile points and that persuasion instead of abrasion and tetchy defensiveness might be what works. She sometimes makes herself look foolish by assuming her opponent is stupid rather than having a competing viewpoint to engage with rather than roll your eyes at.

And she sounded almost Corbynite when trying to blame the media for the government's unpopularity yesterday. Which doesn't bode well. If it was silly when the Labour left blamed the media for their own shortcomings, it's trebly so when several papers and two TV channels regularly pump out your unfiltered propaganda.

She could end up being the new William Hague - becomes Tory leader on right-wing credentials after a bad defeat. Bangs on about party shibboleths and 'common sense' when the world has moved on. Then becomes quite a thoughtful ex-leader when defeat has battle-hardened and humbled a bit.
  • Options

A new thread already?

Yes. Too quickly.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,990

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

The best thing for Alliance, I posit, is a restored Assembly where people can see their greatly increased MLA numbers (more than doubled, leapfrogging the UUP and SDLP). The cat is out of the bag: people see Alliance as a serious force now, not just an afterthought.
    If the DUP don’t want to join the assembly, they should be allowed to opt out. The DFM post should be offered to the leader of the third placed party. That is Alliance.
  • Options
    A public inquiry into what happened in Nottingham with Calocane will take years but imho will absolutely find that mental health services are the underfunded cinderella of the health service which struggles to cope with beds and staff every single day.

Maybe this is what it will take for something to be done.

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,990

A new thread already?

Yes. Too quickly.
    Not only that, but it’s yet another bloody Trump thread. 😤. I hope everyone else is as bored with Trump threads as I am, and stay on @bondegezou’s thread.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,468
    MJW said:

FF43 said:

TimS said:

boulay said:

It feels that Badenoch, like Sunak, suffers form the disease of a generation of Tory politicians used to fairly easy successes and thinking they represent the eternal will of the people. She's clearly smart, and is more thoughtful in her arguments for the right than say, Truss, Braverman or delusional fruitbats like Frost and Hannan.

Yet like Sunak seems to have never developed the skill of understanding where your opponents are coming from, that they might actually have some worthwhile points and that persuasion instead of abrasion and tetchy defensiveness might be what works. She sometimes makes herself look foolish by assuming her opponent is stupid rather than having a competing viewpoint to engage with rather than roll your eyes at.

And she sounded almost Corbynite when trying to blame the media for the government's unpopularity yesterday. Which doesn't bode well. If it was silly when the Labour left blamed the media for their own shortcomings, it's trebly so when several papers and two TV channels regularly pump out your unfiltered propaganda.

She could end up being the new William Hague - becomes Tory leader on right-wing credentials after a bad defeat. Bangs on about party shibboleths and 'common sense' when the world has moved on. Then becomes quite a thoughtful ex-leader when defeat has battle-hardened and humbled a bit.
    MJW said:

FF43 said:

TimS said:

boulay said:

Is she really that good when not being a Culture War Gobshite?

(see the Rye College Cat ID fiasco.)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,815
    As Bondegezou deserves the courtesy, 100th.
This discussion has been closed.