Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump remains a 49% chance of regaining the White House – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,240

kinabalu said:

There are value lays and then there’s this. Trump at evens. Come the summer you'll all be wishing you'd done it.

Weren't you saying he wouldn't get the nomination? Do you not think you might have called this one wrong?
    Of course I might but I don't think so. And I especially think evens for president is a standout sell.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Is Biden the real threat to European security?

https://x.com/ryanmaue/status/1750596642233872593

NY Times on how White House arrived at decision to delay U.S. LNG terminal CP2 in Louisiana:

"Ahead of the decision, White House climate advisers met with activists like Alex Haraus, a 25-year-old Colorado social media influencer who has led a TikTok and Instagram campaign aimed at urging young voters to demand that Mr. Biden reject the project."

Not a controversial decision at all in the White House, of course. "Little division."

No.
    It was 8 months after a summit meeting with Biden that Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. It didn't happen on Trump's watch.
    And ?
    How can you reconcile those facts with your view that we are safer with Biden?
    You need a course in baby logic.
    I've attended the baby logic course and now I think I get it.

When Biden does things which are against our interests, it's ok because he's not Trump, and when bad things happen on his watch, it's not his fault because he's not Trump.
    I think that sort of logic leap is one of the prime symptoms of TDS. It just goes to show that when many of these posters claim they care about Ukraine and the West etc, they actually don’t. If Trump went full on supporting Ukraine, they would quickly switch to backing Russia and / or discussing the ‘complexities’ of the situation .
    Really ! No ones ever said Biden was beyond criticism but the fact is he wants to support Ukraine and Trump will happily throw the country under a bus .

A vote for Trump is a vote to enable Putin . Those of us who support Ukraine won’t take lectures from those who support Trump .
    And I while heartedly support Ukraine and have from day 1.

But your comment goes to show the sweeping assumptions that, if you think Trump is the better candidate, you must be pro-Russia, anti-vax etc. You are displaying your own prejudices (which TBF are shared by many on here).
    The fact you think Trump is the better candidate whilst supporting Ukraine is bizarre . The two don’t marry . How will you feel if Trump pulls the plug on Ukraine?
    I’ve said before I would vehemently disagree with him and would not support him if he did.

I wouldn’t trust any American politician to support Ukraine, Europe, which includes us, needs to support Ukraine. Russia isn’t going to invade the USA. Europe can’t be so confident.
    Russia is closer to Alaska than London
    Uninhabited parts of Russia are close to uninhabited parts of Alaska. Russia borders inhabited parts of Europe.
    It would probably be easier for Russia to capture Alaska than Poland.

There are less than 50,000 US troops in Alaska, compared to 300,000 Polish troops in Poland and 10,000 US troops and other NATO troops there
    THe terrain is rather less forgiving, however - both in Alaska and in Russia.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,261
    algarkirk said:

Apologies if we have had tonight's classic from Matt already:

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1750933858210451532

Wow.

I guess he will be walking with most of the rest of them if this UEA fund stuff comes to pass.

• Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

There are value lays and then there’s this. Trump at evens. Come the summer you'll all be wishing you'd done it.

Weren't you saying he wouldn't get the nomination? Do you not think you might have called this one wrong?
    Of course I might but I don't think so. And I especially think evens for president is a standout sell.
    Explain why you think he won't get the nomination? And who you think will?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited January 26
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

NY Times on how White House arrived at decision to delay U.S. LNG terminal CP2 in Louisiana:

"Ahead of the decision, White House climate advisers met with activists like Alex Haraus, a 25-year-old Colorado social media influencer who has led a TikTok and Instagram campaign aimed at urging young voters to demand that Mr. Biden reject the project."

Not a controversial decision at all in the White House, of course. "Little division."

No.
    It was 8 months after a summit meeting with Biden that Putin launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine. It didn't happen on Trump's watch.
    And ?

When Biden does things which are against our interests, it's ok because he's not Trump, and when bad things happen on his watch, it's not his fault because he's not Trump.
    I think that sort of logic leap is one of the prime symptoms of TDS. It just goes to show that when many of these posters claim they care about Ukraine and the West etc, they actually don’t. If Trump went full on supporting Ukraine, they would quickly switch to backing Russia and / or discussing the ‘complexities’ of the situation .
    Really ! No ones ever said Biden was beyond criticism but the fact is he wants to support Ukraine and Trump will happily throw the country under a bus .

A vote for Trump is a vote to enable Putin . Those of us who support Ukraine won’t take lectures from those who support Trump .

But your comment goes to show the sweeping assumptions that, if you think Trump is the better candidate, you must be pro-Russia, anti-vax etc. You are displaying your own prejudices (which TBF are shared by many on here).
    TBF, had Trump defeated Biden , Russian casualties would have been much lower.
    But I'm not sure how much of Ukraine would be left.
    According to the Washington Post feature by a Ukrainian journalist, it was Boris Johnson's support that was militarily more significant before the invasion. Did you vote for him?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/01/09/ukraine-war-win-chance-west-lost/

As the United States shut down its embassy in Kyiv ahead of the invasion, it did ship some weapons to great fanfare, such as Javelin antitank missiles. But the quantity was puny: only about 90 Javelins, according to Danilov. Then-British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, while also briefed about the hopelessness of the Ukrainian cause, had overruled internal objections and authorized a heftier load of about 2,000 NLAW missiles.
    So given that why is Johnson now on team Trump ?

Why can anyone who truly supports Ukraine be willing to risk a Trump Presidency ?
    It may perhaps be worth pointing out that the Biden administration abandoned Afghanistan and left it to the Taliban in a totally chaotic way. How can you be so certain that they wouldn't do the same in Ukraine? The USA is de facto underwriting the entire regime, against its initial judgement of the conflict, and against rising domestic unrest politically about support for the conflict.

It is a risk with Trump, but it will not necessary be a bad outcome in Ukraine.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

The fact you think Trump is the better candidate whilst supporting Ukraine is bizarre . The two don’t marry . How will you feel if Trump pulls the plug on Ukraine?
    I’ve said before I would vehemently disagree with him and would not support him if he did.

I wouldn’t trust any American politician to support Ukraine, Europe, which includes us, needs to support Ukraine. Russia isn’t going to invade the USA. Europe can’t be so confident.
    Uninhabited parts of Russia are close to uninhabited parts of Alaska. Russia borders inhabited parts of Europe.

There are less than 50,000 US troops in Alaska, compared to 300,000 Polish troops in Poland and 10,000 US troops and other NATO troops there
    Just drop a few paratroopers in Anchorage supported by a few Russian destroyers and it would fall effectively, with the rest mopping up
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Do we now have, encouraged by the supreme intellects of our time such as David Frost and Jacob Rees-Mogg, people in PB who actually think Trump is OK and not an utter narcissistic shit?

Not me.

He's a clear and present danger to the republic as a functioning democracy.

Frankly if they are stupid enough to elect him they'll never get him out again.

Only if the army back him which they didn't in Jan 2021 and of course he will die eventually
    The fact that there is a question about which side the army would back in a particular civil contingency illustrates how serious the problem is. In January 2021 a proper and recognised process of transition was in hand. Next time a anti democratic coup of some sort is attempted it may be at a much earlier stage, which will be different.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Wow.

I guess he will be walking with most of the rest of them if this UEA fund stuff comes to pass.

I didn't know the University of East Anglia wanted to buy a newspaper.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

You have been laying him for three years at much higher odds! Very brave if you are going in for more.

I think evens about right fwiw. Probably a small lay. I am beginning to wonder on the Supreme Court though.
    No I'm not doing more. My short is big enough. I so wish I was starting from here though. I think evens is way too short and I'd be caning it.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Do we now have, encouraged by the supreme intellects of our time such as David Frost and Jacob Rees-Mogg, people in PB who actually think Trump is OK and not an utter narcissistic shit?

Not me.

Only if the army back him which they didn't in Jan 2021 and of course he will die eventually
    The fact that there is a question about which side the army would back in a particular civil contingency illustrates how serious the problem is. In January 2021 a proper and recognised process of transition was in hand. Next time a anti democratic coup of some sort is attempted it may be at a much earlier stage, which will be different.
    Trump was still President in Jan 2021, army chiefs also take an oath to the constitution as well as the President
  • Options
    darkage said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

According to the Washington Post feature by a Ukrainian journalist, it was Boris Johnson's support that was militarily more significant before the invasion. Did you vote for him?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/01/09/ukraine-war-win-chance-west-lost/

As the United States shut down its embassy in Kyiv ahead of the invasion, it did ship some weapons to great fanfare, such as Javelin antitank missiles. But the quantity was puny: only about 90 Javelins, according to Danilov. Then-British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, while also briefed about the hopelessness of the Ukrainian cause, had overruled internal objections and authorized a heftier load of about 2,000 NLAW missiles.

Why can anyone who truly supports Ukraine be willing to risk a Trump Presidency ?
    It may perhaps be worth pointing out that the Biden administration abandoned Afghanistan and left it to the Taliban in a totally chaotic way. How can you be so certain that they wouldn't do the same in Ukraine? The USA is de facto underwriting the entire regime, against its initial judgement of the conflict, and against rising domestic unrest politically about support for the conflict.

It is a risk with Trump, but it will not necessary be a bad outcome in Ukraine.
    Your regular reminder it was Trump who initiated the supremely inept US pullout from Afghanistan (and blamed Biden for it).

What makes you think he wouldn't do the same with Ukraine, especially as he already is trying to?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551

algarkirk said:

Wow.

It is one of his very greatest. (But can PB afford his services?)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Looks like Biden will get his wish to face Trump in the election. Shouldn't be forgotten how much work his people have put into creating this outcome.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Read this and get back to me.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/24/russia-ukraine-war-oral-history-00083757
    The backdrop is Biden's weakness during 2021 because he was trying to appease Putin:

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/554689-biden-gives-putin-the-nord-stream-prize-and-gets-nothing-in-return/

May 2021: Biden gives Putin the Nord Stream prize and gets nothing in return

The Biden administration’s rationale appears to be that President Trump treated major ally Germany roughly, so we should give Germany what it wants — Nord Stream 2. Let our other European allies simmer; Trump hurt their feelings less than Germany’s, so they don’t count. And, besides, maybe a magnanimous gesture will bring Russia’s Vladimir Putin to a summit with Biden that will solve the world’s outstanding problems.

https://centerforsecuritypolicy.org/bidens-policies-toward-russia-and-ukraine-raise-risk-of-new-putins-aggression/

May 2021: Biden’s policies toward Russia and Ukraine raise risk of Putin’s aggression

The stark differences between Biden’s policies toward Russia (a combination of moderate public criticism with tangible financial backing) and Ukraine (a combination of praise in words with withdrawal of real support in deeds) are so evident that they cannot be missed by such attentive observer and beneficiary as Vladimir Putin.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

It would probably be easier for Russia to capture Alaska than say Poland.

I know that Putin recently said that the sale of Alaska to the US was invalid but has there been any military intelligence you are aware of suggesting a build up of troops across the Bering Straights?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Not me.

Trump was still President in Jan 2021, army chiefs also take an oath to the constitution as well as the President
    They do not take an oath to the President. They take an oath to the Constitution and then, in the second part, to obey orders of all senior officers of which the President is the only one listed.

That's altogether different. Or are privates swearing an oath to their corporals?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

Not me.

They do not take an oath to the President. They take an oath to the Constitution and then, in the second part, to obey orders of all senior officers of which the President is the only one listed.

That's altogether different. Or are privates swearing an oath to their corporals?
    On that basis they don't take an oath to the Constitution either, only to protect and defend it
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Explain why you think he won't get the nomination? And who you think will?
    It looks like he will get the nomination. Not certain but likely.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,648

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Let's see if some of America starts paying attention when the court cases start going against Trump. May have a number from the jury later today in the defamation case. Will have the New York number by month end.

Then we have the financial penalty for being a rapist and a fraudster. If America is inclined to ignore those outcomes, then let's see what they make of the Supreme Court rulings.

And what do Americans think about the Supreme Court ruling against Texas?
    You are an educated guy with no skin in the game, so why are you shilling for Trump?

I am assuming you live in the UK, and I am equally sure you are aware that should Trump exit NATO and throw Ukraine to Putin, defending Europe including the UK becomes very much more expensive in terms of cash and manpower.
    As one gets older there are few greater pleasures in life than trolling the libs.
    I merely mentioned how nice Linda McCartney sausages are, and set the PB Blimps off all day.

Not that I was trolling...
    Hold my porridge ...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/jan/26/english-breakfast-society-recommends-swapping-tomato-for-pineapple

'The English Breakfast Society, which is dedicated to the history, heritage, and culture of the English breakfast, said pineapple had been eaten with a full English breakfast in centuries past and has called for it to replace the grilled tomatoes and mushrooms with which modern diners are familiar.[...] “A slice of grilled pineapple can add variety to the English breakfast plate. Simply swap the mushrooms or tomato for a grilled pineapple slice in someone’s English breakfast one day to give them a surprising and unexpected delight.”'
    Don't do that! Cooked tomatoes are a natural defence against an enlarged prostate. Prince Charles take note. (He had a visit from the Queen and visited the Princess of Wales today- did he attend a seance?)

Anyway, porridge, salt or sugar?
    Porridge.

Made with milk, with added sultanas or dates. No need for any white or brown crystals.

Jumbo oats, ideally.

Don't add fresh blueberries, as purple porridge is a bit off-putting.
    Cranberries.

Porridge with cranberries is food for the gods.
    I always make a large excess of cranberry sauce (with whisky, cinnamon, cloves & allspice) at Christmas for just that reason.
    Goes well with a lot of stuff - and keeps pretty well a whole year if refrigerated.
    Cranberry sauce with whisky?

Hmm. Interesting. My recipe uses port. Think I might try yours next year.

Only 330-odd days to go...
    A malt, of course.
    It's really, really good if you get the proportions right.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Using your baby logic, please explain why the COVID-19 crisis occurred 3 and a half months after Boris Johnson's magnificent landslide election win.Very suspicious.
    Baby logic says that the virus didn’t know who the British PM was, but Putin did know who the US President was. In fact they met in a big summit meeting and Putin obviously came away emboldened rather than deflated.
    Indeed, I was being flippant, but your evidence against Biden is entirely circumstantial.

I could provide you with quite a bit of circumstantial and direct evidence against Mr Trump.

I don't really understand your Trump fanbois status.i can't imagine anyone more objectionable than Trump. His personality, his politics, his lack of morality, his lack of humanity. What did you see in the millionaire Donald Trump?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

I can see you didn't do geography.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

I know that Putin recently said that the sale of Alaska to the US was invalid but has there been any military intelligence you are aware of suggesting a build up of troops across the Bering Straights?
    If Biden got in again (or indeed Trump if he stepped up military support for Zelensky) I wouldn't put it past Putin to have a pot shot at taking Alaska.

The US are unlikely to use their nukes to defend beyond the core US states and no other NATO state has troops in Alaska
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Poland borders Belarus, a client state of Putin
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Just drop a few paratroopers in Anchorage supported by a few Russian destroyers and it would fall effectively, with the rest mopping up
    Having not attempted such a manoeuvre since 1945, I suspect it's nowhere near as simple as you make out.

It would also be a casus belli par excellence (pardon the languages). Not even the USSR at the peak of its powers in the 1970s seriously attempted it - why would the much weaker Putin now?

There seems a desperate attempt to continue to portray Putin and Russia as a serious and credible military threat to the UK even after the humiliation of the Ukraine invasion.

The credible and serious bit is only the nuclear element and given the West retains an ample deterrent capability I fail to see what has changed.
  • Options
    edited January 26

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/02/24/russia-ukraine-war-oral-history-00083757
    The backdrop is Biden's weakness during 2021 because he was trying to appease Putin:

https://thehill.com/opinion/international/554689-biden-gives-putin-the-nord-stream-prize-and-gets-nothing-in-return/

The Biden administration’s rationale appears to be that President Trump treated major ally Germany roughly, so we should give Germany what it wants — Nord Stream 2. Let our other European allies simmer; Trump hurt their feelings less than Germany’s, so they don’t count. And, besides, maybe a magnanimous gesture will bring Russia’s Vladimir Putin to a summit with Biden that will solve the world’s outstanding problems.

https://centerforsecuritypolicy.org/bidens-policies-toward-russia-and-ukraine-raise-risk-of-new-putins-aggression/

May 2021: Biden’s policies toward Russia and Ukraine raise risk of Putin’s aggression

The stark differences between Biden’s policies toward Russia (a combination of moderate public criticism with tangible financial backing) and Ukraine (a combination of praise in words with withdrawal of real support in deeds) are so evident that they cannot be missed by such attentive observer and beneficiary as Vladimir Putin.
    I see you haven't bothered to read the Politico article.
    It is a very long read, but a necessary one.

I don't read Hill opinion pieces as they're usually balls. Just their news stories.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Interesting snippet from the Marten trial

The court was also told Ms Marten received £15,590 from "Hoare Trustees" into her bank account...
  • Options
    edited January 26
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Alaska borders Siberia. They are both howling and trackless wildernesses with unforgiving climates, large mountain ranges, massive mineral and oil reserves and precisely fuck all else.

(Edit - incidentally, Poland borders Russia as well.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

You might not recall, but they tried that in Ukraine.
    Not a spectacular success.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hostomel
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Alaska borders Siberia. They are both howling and trackless wildernesses with us forgiven climates, large mountain ranges, massive mineral and oil reserves and precisely fuck all else.

Bit short on roads, too.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Ukraine had 780,000 troops in the country to defend it.

There are less than 50,000 US troops based in Alaska to defend it
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

I see you haven't bothered to read the Politico article.
    It is a very long read, but a necessary one.

I don't read Hill opinion pieces as they're usually balls. Just their news stories.
    The Politico article contains some truly pitiful comments from Biden admin people:

Daleep Singh, deputy national security adviser for international economics, National Security Council, White House: We thought we had quelled his appetite for territory by meeting him in Geneva and trying to address some of the strategic concerns he’d been raising
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Let's see if some of America starts paying attention when the court cases start going against Trump. May have a number from the jury later today in the defamation case. Will have the New York number by month end.

Then we have the financial penalty for being a rapist and a fraudster. If America is inclined to ignore those outcomes, then let's see what they make of the Supreme Court rulings.

And what do Americans think about the Supreme Court ruling against Texas?
    You are an educated guy with no skin in the game, so why are you shilling for Trump?

I am assuming you live in the UK, and I am equally sure you are aware that should Trump exit NATO and throw Ukraine to Putin, defending Europe including the UK becomes very much more expensive in terms of cash and manpower.
    As one gets older there are few greater pleasures in life than trolling the libs.
    I merely mentioned how nice Linda McCartney sausages are, and set the PB Blimps off all day.

Not that I was trolling...
    Hold my porridge ...

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/jan/26/english-breakfast-society-recommends-swapping-tomato-for-pineapple

'The English Breakfast Society, which is dedicated to the history, heritage, and culture of the English breakfast, said pineapple had been eaten with a full English breakfast in centuries past and has called for it to replace the grilled tomatoes and mushrooms with which modern diners are familiar.[...] “A slice of grilled pineapple can add variety to the English breakfast plate. Simply swap the mushrooms or tomato for a grilled pineapple slice in someone’s English breakfast one day to give them a surprising and unexpected delight.”'
    Don't do that! Cooked tomatoes are a natural defence against an enlarged prostate. Prince Charles take note. (He had a visit from the Queen and visited the Princess of Wales today- did he attend a seance?)

Anyway, porridge, salt or sugar?
    Porridge.

Made with milk, with added sultanas or dates. No need for any white or brown crystals.

Jumbo oats, ideally.

Don't add fresh blueberries, as purple porridge is a bit off-putting.
    Cranberries.

Porridge with cranberries is food for the gods.
    I always make a large excess of cranberry sauce (with whisky, cinnamon, cloves & allspice) at Christmas for just that reason.
    Goes well with a lot of stuff - and keeps pretty well a whole year if refrigerated.
    Cranberry sauce with whisky?

Hmm. Interesting. My recipe uses port. Think I might try yours next year.

Only 330-odd days to go...
    You could start practicing now.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,061

algarkirk said:

Wow.

For people who post satirical and “funny” cartoons from the Times and Guardian… this is how you do it!

• Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Has Rishi Sunak resigned yet?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Wow.

It is one of his very greatest. (But can PB afford his services?)
    What happened to Marf?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Interesting snippet from the Marten trial

The court was also told Ms Marten received £15,590 from "Hoare Trustees" into her bank account...

Didn’t we know that already? An inheritance or something.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Alaska borders Siberia. They are both howling and trackless wildernesses with us forgiven climates, large mountain ranges, massive mineral and oil reserves and precisely fuck all else.

Bit short on roads, too.
    I understand the Nakuan - Wales ferry is not currently running.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    More Humza ... impressiveness.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-68104494

Derogatory texts between Humza Yousaf and Jason Leitch released

Derogatory WhatsApp messages between Scotland's first minister and its national clinical director have been published by the UK Covid Inquiry.

The messages show that Humza Yousaf and Jason Leitch used insulting language about opposition politicians.

Mr Leitch described a female Labour MSP as a "new girl" and said a Tory MSP had been "harrumphing like a child".

Mr Yousaf used expletive language to describe former Labour MSP Neil Findlay.

The message exchange between the pair happened shortly after Mr Yousaf was appointed health secretary in 2021, and saw him joke at one point that he was "winging it! And will get found out sooner rather than later", followed by a laughing emoji.

Mr Leitch responded: "Me too. That doesn't change".

The inquiry has heard that Mr Yousaf also described the Scottish Police Federation as a "disgrace" while he was serving as justice secretary earlier in the pandemic.

---

Some of those things may be accurate - but really, don't put them down in unambiguous language in a message to your mates.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

What are the odds on Trump choosing one of his children for the VP spot?

Don Jnr. and Eric are both thick enough to bear the standard after the Orange One's demise. Perhaps they could job share and double the combined IQ into three figures.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Bit short on roads, too.
    It's sounding more and more like Cornwall. Which also has relatively few US troops to defend it against a Russian invasion.

I'm spotting a pattern.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Derogatory WhatsApp messages between Scotland's first minister and its national clinical director have been published by the UK Covid Inquiry.

The messages show that Humza Yousaf and Jason Leitch used insulting language about opposition politicians.

Mr Leitch described a female Labour MSP as a "new girl" and said a Tory MSP had been "harrumphing like a child".

The message exchange between the pair happened shortly after Mr Yousaf was appointed health secretary in 2021, and saw him joke at one point that he was "winging it! And will get found out sooner rather than later", followed by a laughing emoji.

The inquiry has heard that Mr Yousaf also described the Scottish Police Federation as a "disgrace" while he was serving as justice secretary earlier in the pandemic.

---

Some of those things may be accurate - but really, don't put them down in unambiguous language in a message to your mates.

To be blunt, Yousaf comes across as a twat (because he is) but there's nothing especially unusual about this sort of thing, is there? I mean, you should see what I've been saying about British Gas.

I'm more interested in the decisions they made than in the language they used about people they didn't like or rate.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

By the same line of thinking Russia could drop a few paratroopers in Aberdeen and go on to invade Scotland.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,490

algarkirk said:

Wow.

For people who post satirical and “funny” cartoons from the Times and Guardian… this is how you do it!

It's a goodun, helped by his Absolutely Unsackable status.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Bit short on roads, too.
    It's sounding more and more like Cornwall. Which also has relatively few US troops to defend it against a Russian invasion.

I'm spotting a pattern.
    The entire UK is far smaller than Alaska and there are well over 100,000 British troops based in the UK at all times to defend it.

Cornwall is also far further from Russia than Alaska is
  • Options
    edited January 26
    HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Bit short on roads, too.

I'm spotting a pattern.
    The entire UK is far smaller in area than Alaska and there are well over 100,000 British troops based in the UK at all times to defend it
    I'm now reminded of a Charles Babbage quote :
    On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Well indeed.
    But the only reason Ukraine was able to bring its army to bear (forgive the pun) to defeat the initial Russian invasion was the availability of US situational intelligence.

The US has vastly greater capabilities in terms of both early warning systems and air defence.
    Your scenario (though undoubtedly war gamed by the two sides) is pretty risible as a realistic threat.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68110358

An oil tanker is on fire in the Gulf of Aden, its operator says, after Houthis said they hit it with a missile.

The movement said it had targeted the Marlin Luanda on Friday evening.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

By the same line of thinking Russia could drop a few paratroopers in Aberdeen and go on to invade Scotland.
    Very few people in The Flow Country. Just sayin'.
  • Options

An oil tanker is on fire in the Gulf of Aden, its operator says, after Houthis said they hit it with a missile.

If someone can explain to me how a vessel flagged in the Marshall Islands and travelling from Morocco to Singapore is in any way linked with Israel, I'd be interested to hear the explanation.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Don't give him ideas.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

If Biden got in again (or indeed Trump if he stepped up military support for Zelensky) I wouldn't put it past Putin to have a pot shot at taking Alaska.

The US are unlikely to use their nukes to defend beyond the core US states and no other NATO state has troops in Alaska
    Don't worry. Putin won't need boots of the ground. He could exchange Alaska in a contra deal for a fraction of the alleged Russian underwritten Deutsch Bank loan.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ohnotnow said:

---

To be blunt, Yousaf comes across as a twat (because he is) but there's nothing especially unusual about this sort of thing, is there? I mean, you should see what I've been saying about British Gas.

I'm more interested in the decisions they made than in the language they used about people they didn't like or rate.
    It's not so much _what_ they said - as I say, might well be right. It's the careless clumsiness of it.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,961
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

US born Boris is on team Trump because he’s eyed an opportunity to be made US Ambassador to the Court of St James under President Trump. Prestige, big house in town and gets to mess with whoever is UK PM.
  • Options
    Oops.

Marcy Wheeler successfully got the dates unsealed for David Weiss' search warrants and has found that he did NOT obtain a warrant to search Biden's iCloud for gun crimes evidence until AFTER he indicted Hunter for gun crimes.
    https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1750965926005252130
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

If someone can explain to me how a vessel flagged in the Marshall Islands and travelling from Morocco to Singapore is in any way linked with Israel, I'd be interested to hear the explanation.
    Jewish people float. Boat floats. QED.

:: goes on to prove black is white, etc etc ::
  • Options
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

US born Boris is on team Trump because he’s eyed an opportunity to be made US Ambassador to the Court of St James under President Trump. Prestige, big house in town and gets to mess with whoever is UK PM.
    To be fair, that would be funny as f***
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197

HYUFD said:

DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Don't worry. Putin won't need boots of the ground. He could exchange Alaska in a contra deal for a fraction of the alleged Russian underwritten Deutsch Bank loan.
    More chance of Rishi winning the election than Putin invading Alaska.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Bit short on roads, too.

I'm spotting a pattern.
    The entire UK is far smaller than Alaska and there are well over 100,000 British troops based in the UK at all times to defend it.

Cornwall is also far further from Russia than Alaska is
    "far smaller".

The distance from Cornwall to Muckle Flugga is about the same as from Juneau to Barrow.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Well fairly obviously it's aimed at fucking up world trade in the expectation that the U.S. will put pressure in Israel.

Your question implied that the Houthis have a legitimate reason for their actions. They don't; it's plain terrorism.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Well fairly obviously it's aimed at fucking up world trade in the expectation that the U.S. will put pressure in Israel.

Your question implied that the Houthis have a legitimate reason for their actions. They don't; it's plain terrorism.
    My question may have been tinged with just a touch of sarcasm...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Don't give him ideas.
    https://addiator.blogspot.com/2012/09/general-jumbo.html
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    ohnotnow said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Visibility: Miles
    Mobility: Zero

I would think Alaska was easier terrain.
  • Options
    boulay said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Great commission for Lulu Lytle to get her gold paint into.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Miles? A few hectometres unless you're really lucky.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

You don't say.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Yes but the rest of Alaska is populated by mad MAGA voting Rednecks armed to the teeth courtesy of the 2nd ammendment. The Russkis wouldn't last a week.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Oops.

Marcy Wheeler successfully got the dates unsealed for David Weiss' search warrants and has found that he did NOT obtain a warrant to search Biden's iCloud for gun crimes evidence until AFTER he indicted Hunter for gun crimes.
    https://twitter.com/MuellerSheWrote/status/1750965926005252130

Wheeler comments.

Again, to be VERY clear: there's no reason to believe there's a problem with the warrant. Rather this raises big questions about the arguments Weiss is making about why he reneged on the diversion agreement.
    https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1750974200066474205

• Options
    edited January 26
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Miles? A few hectometres unless you're really lucky.
    Perhaps I've just been lucky! Had a very clear Autumn day on Ben Klibreck.

Maybe substitute:

Theoretical line of sight: Miles
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,650
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

This is the excuse the US and UK needed to re-calibrate and turn what’s been a lonely 2 country effort into a UN-backed multilateral policy, as happened with piracy in the Arabian Sea. Going it alone and letting the rest of the world off any responsibility for keeping the Red Sea open was a tactical error.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Yes but the rest of Alaska is populated by mad MAGA voting Rednecks armed to the teeth courtesy of the 2nd ammendment. The Russkis wouldn't last a week.
    + it’s “fewer”.
  • Options
    TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

This is the excuse the US and UK needed to re-calibrate and turn what’s been a lonely 2 country effort into a UN-backed multilateral policy, as happened with piracy in the Arabian Sea. Going it alone and letting the rest of the world off any responsibility for keeping the Red Sea open was a tactical error.
    Russia will veto. The Houthis ultimately are acting in their interests.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,633
    HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

You are Sarah Palin and I claim my £5.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Well yes, the price of oil is not inconsequential for Vlad

• Options
    ohnotnow said:

---

If anyone on here knew what absolutely fucking useless, brain dead, thick, talentless scum the vast majority of Scottish Labour and Tory politicians are, they would realise that Yousaf and Leitch were actually being complimentary to that bunch of twats.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

This is where clever diplomacy, of the sort lacking in recent years, can help box Russia and its mates into a corner. China also benefits from a safe Red Sea for the shipment of its stuff to Europe.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

ohnotnow said:

darkage said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Very similar terrain.
  • Options
    TimS said:

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

This is where clever diplomacy, of the sort lacking in recent years, can help box Russia and its mates into a corner. China also benefits from a safe Red Sea for the shipment of its stuff to Europe.
    China is already pissed with Iran:

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/china-presses-iran-rein-houthi-attacks-red-sea-sources-say-2024-01-26/

But Iran takes its orders from Moscow, not Beijing.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    TimS said:

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

China wants a safe Red Sea, but it also wants as many US ships as possible tied up there keeping it safe, leaving as few as possible protecting Taiwan.
  • Options
    Inconsistencies ?
    I'm astonished.

News

There are "incomplete" and "inconsistent" disclosures with "errors" in Trump Org's financial information, a court-appointed monitor told the civil fraud trial judge.

Her 12-page letter's inside.

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1750988853975154813
  • Options
    Jury has reached decision in Ms Carroll vs Mr Trump.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    Carnyx said:

Fifty lashes or a hundred?

Edit. Bloody hell. Quick and brutal. I bet he'd rather have 100 lashes than what they've given him.

He'd better hope that the rest of the country doesn't rate him that low, or we're on for the first unanimous vote in the EC since 1792.
  • Options
    $88m
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Lots and lots of coconuts.

"Jury awards E. Jean Carroll $83.3 million from Trump for 2019 defamatory statements", fide CNN. Help ma boab, or rather Mr Trump's!

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-trial-e-jean-carroll-01-26-24/index.html
  • Options
    COMPENSATORY:
    Other than reputation repair program: $7.3M
    Reputation repair program: $11M

PUNITIVE: $65M
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,006
    @wsteaks
    BREAKING -- A jury in Manhattan federal court on Friday ordered Donald Trump to pay E. Jean Carroll $83.3 million for defaming her.

The jury awarded $18.3 million in compensatory damages and $65 million in punitive damages -- via
    @AaronKatersky
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

"Jury awards E. Jean Carroll $83.3 million from Trump for 2019 defamatory statements", fide CNN. Help ma boab, or rather Mr Trump's!

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-trial-e-jean-carroll-01-26-24/index.html
    Ouch.

Surely he's going to run out of money and backers at some point?
  • Options
    Trump had left the courtroom and was boarding his plane as the verdict was being read.
    https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1750998131498426540
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,445
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

Getting even 5,000 Russian troops there is going to be very, very difficult (Polar Glory?). Resupplying them would be impossible.
  • Options
    edited January 26

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Ouch.

I suspect he will be moving what remains of his business empire out of New York shortly anyway and then declare himself bankrupt.

So it seems unlikely Carroll will get any money.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

$88m

Quick opportunities to make money laying.

Not sure he’ll easily be able to afford this.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Ouch.

I suspect he will be moving what remains of his business empire out of New York shortly anyway and then declare himself bankrupt.

So it seems unlikely he will get any money.
    Can a bankrupt stand for public office in the US? I have no idea.

[your edit noted - Ms Carroll is unlikely ...]
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Chris said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No.
    And ?

In parts of Alaska, the *insects* would kidnap the Russians. Scottish midges are featherweights in comparison.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Ouch.

So it seems unlikely he will get any money.
    Can a bankrupt stand for public office in the US? I have no idea.

[your edit noted - Ms Carroll is unlikely ...]
    It was meant to be 'she' but between typos and ambiguity I thought, screw it.

Surely that is way more than expected? She was asking for $24 million IIIRC.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,694
    Is that a fair goal?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

$88m

Quick opportunities to make money laying.

Not sure he’ll easily be able to afford this.
    There is a long history of big damages in the US. And a long history of it taking somewhere between never and forever to pay up.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Ouch.

So it seems unlikely Carroll will get any money.
    Seems likely. But surely a bankrupt can't sell himself as a 'businessman' not a 'politician'?

Then again, nothing makes much sense in this whole saga.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Andy_JS said:

Is that a fair goal?

Yes it is!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Is that a fair goal?

Yes it is!
    The kind of goal that gets disallowed every day of the week, but probably should stand.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Edit. Bloody hell. Quick and brutal. I bet he'd rather have 100 lashes than what they've given him.

He'd better hope that the rest of the country doesn't rate him that low, or we're on for the first unanimous vote in the EC since 1792.
    Is that a federal court or a state court?

Wondering if, assuming Trump Org ceases to exist in NY state she has recourse to assets elsewhere?
This discussion has been closed.