Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The annual St John PB Christmas crossword – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    viewcode said:

Holy Johnny! Thank you! AND a hearty "Bah Humbug!!" to you & yours!!!

Question - is 3 down "Poland" like I opined?

10 Country with a European President (6) WALESA.
    Really? Lech Wałęsa was indeed President of Poland, which is an European country alright.

But Lech himself is NOT a country.
    Wales is.
    Surely a Principality not a country

(Lights touch paper and retires to safe distance)
    The (historic) Principality of Wales and the (present) country of Wales don't have the same borders. It's like using "Ulster" for "Northern Ireland".
    Which historic principality did you have in mind? That of 1258, that (well, those) of 1284, that of 1405 or that of 1543?
  • Options

Netanyahu is a wanker.

That's extremely unkind.

In the spirit of Christmas, I invite you to withdraw that slur on wankers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,097
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Happy Christmas everyone. Here's to peace on earth and good will toward men and women.

Here's to peace on earth and good will to all things, no matter how they identify.

Except Vladimir Putin, the leadership of Hamas and Bibi.
    Can we add Xi, Maduro, Modi, the ayatollahs of Iran and Amanda Spielman?
    What have the Ayatollahs done to be put in the same list as Spielman?

I mean sure, they've inflicted misery on millions. But that's nothing compared to the damage she has had inflicted.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Happy Christmas everyone. Here's to peace on earth and good will toward men and women.

Here's to peace on earth and good will to all things, no matter how they identify.

Except Vladimir Putin, the leadership of Hamas and Bibi.
    Can we add Xi, Maduro, Modi, the ayatollahs of Iran and Amanda Spielman?
    What have the Ayatollahs done to be put in the same list as Spielman?

I mean sure, they've inflicted misery on millions. But that's nothing compared to the damage she has had inflicted.
    You're right.

I apologise to the Ayatollahs.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,781
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

Holy Johnny! Thank you! AND a hearty "Bah Humbug!!" to you & yours!!!

Question - is 3 down "Poland" like I opined?

10 Country with a European President (6) WALESA.
    Really? Lech Wałęsa was indeed President of Poland, which is an European country alright.

But Lech himself is NOT a country.
    Wales is.
    Surely a Principality not a country

(Lights touch paper and retires to safe distance)
    The (historic) Principality of Wales and the (present) country of Wales don't have the same borders. It's like using "Ulster" for "Northern Ireland".
    Which historic principality did you have in mind? That of 1258, that (well, those) of 1284, that of 1405 or that of 1543?
    He means the one that had a war with Scotland, since it is Christmas and we English are staying out of this one, this time.

(Since we are talking about blue touchpaper...).
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I've enjoyed a couple of Muppets clips today.

Bohemian Rhapsody:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

Yakkety-Yak
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7Z2oHG6Iw

More organised that Sunak and Co. They need a Zoot.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    Yay I got Politics on the edge and Matt.

Sorted.

Hope your Christmas is as good as mine.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,251
    Sunak leaning in to the whole 'only 4ft 8' thing

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1739340695675023672
  • Options
    MattW said:

I've enjoyed a couple of Muppets clips today.

Bohemian Rhapsody:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgbNymZ7vqY

Yakkety-Yak
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7Z2oHG6Iw

More organised that Sunak and Co. They need a Zoot.

On surface, Animal appears to fill the bill as next Conservative Home Secretary?

That is, looks scary and makes loud noises.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,854
    Happy Christmas to all PB fellows. I was going to wish luck for the puzzling too, but all looks to be drawing to a close on that front.
  • Options
    I got James O’Brien’s book :)
  • Options

One of our Christmas crackers posed the question "What King is popular at Christmas?"

Disappointingly, my suggestion of "wanking" was not the answer they were looking for.

Remarkably, neither was "drinking".

'Thinking' would be incompatible with Christmas dinner as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,097
    Tres said:

That's actually remarkably ok.
  • Options

You've run out of toilet paper?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753
    News reports refer to the Al-Maghazi refugee camp.

Video footage shows a town.
  • Options

What were you expecting? Tents?
  • Options
    I think that you all need some seasonal music from Jesus's "Dad", Joseph

Joseph is a girl group; three sisters including twins. The non twin plays guitar

https://youtu.be/TeDh-3IKwgc?si=nPokY6KYDmNE68a8
  • Options

....touchy....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,867
    TimS said:

TimS said:

'That's my £60 turkey in the bin' More families say their festive plans are in ruins after waking up on Christmas morning to discover their Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco turkeys are 'mouldy' and 'rancid'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12898993/turkeys-rotten-families-blast-supermarkets.html

Turkeygate would never happen under a Starmer-led government.

Under Starmer we’ll all have proper birds

Will we be encouraged to roast the free owls?

Thanks btw for your Morrisons Nyetimber tip, about to try it out.
    Fingers crossed it lives up to the recommendation. Sugrue South Downs for our sparkling today.
    Two bottles of Morrisons 'Nyetimber' lined up here for New Year's Eve too - thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sorted.

4 pages into the prologue and I am besotted. Again.

It’s tragic that he couldn’t find a productive career in UK politics, if only as a chronicler.

On the Tory leadership:

“But we are more distinct than we appear. Two of us were born outside the United Kingdom. One of us chose to live and work in Japan, another in Singapore, a third in Afghanistan a fourth in Brussels. We speak more than a dozen languages between us one of us was adopted as a child; another watched his mother beaten by his father; a third’s brother recently killed himself. “

Japan was Hunt ,I think, Singapore Javid? Afghanistan himself and Brussels Boris.

Gove was adopted. No idea about the beating. Or the suicide.
  • Options

I thought the King's Speech was ok.

It was about reconciliation and goodwill to all, regardless of religion, which is what is sorely needed this year.

I liked the film as well.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997
    edited December 2023

TimS said:

'That's my £60 turkey in the bin' More families say their festive plans are in ruins after waking up on Christmas morning to discover their Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco turkeys are 'mouldy' and 'rancid'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12898993/turkeys-rotten-families-blast-supermarkets.html

Just had local pheasant, mushroom, shallot, celeriac, carrot and Shiraz stew for dinner. I did have to skin and (partly) bone the bird, but at least it's real food.

PS And sprouts with carrots, and mashed potatoes.
  • Options

Well, yes. Isn't the clue in the word "camp"?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorted.

It’s tragic that he couldn’t find a productive career in UK politics, if only as a chronicler.

On the Tory leadership:

“But we are more distinct than we appear. Two of us were born outside the United Kingdom. One of us chose to live and work in Japan, another in Singapore, a third in Afghanistan a fourth in Brussels. We speak more than a dozen languages between us one of us was adopted as a child; another watched his mother beaten by his father; a third’s brother recently killed himself. “

Japan was Hunt ,I think, Singapore Javid? Afghanistan himself and Brussels Boris.

Not sure I rate him. His behaviour at indyref 1 was silly. Claiming that Hadrian's Wall was somehow meaningfully the border, and demanding a hand to hand chain from sea to sea without having the sense to realise that English Heritage really, really do not like people climbing on the old masonry ...

Edit: on reflection , let that be ignored. It was almost a decade ago, we all make mistakes, and it's Christmas Day. Frankly, there are much, much worse things to do in the way of mistakes ...
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,965
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Just had local pheasant, mushroom, shallot, celeriac, carrot and Shiraz stew for dinner. I did have to skin and (partly) bone the bird, but at least it's real food.

Sprouts with goats cheese. If you ever have any vegetarians in your life - it's a great lasagne layer too.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Tres said:

I think it was supposed to be a meeting of his closest supporters.

Oh, and Larry was framed.
  • Options

Well, yes. Isn't the clue in the word "camp"?
    You are several decades behind the times, although that might be changing.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sorted.

On the Tory leadership:

Boris? Anyway, enough of books.

The real question is did any PBers get a new phone in their stocking and if so, did it carry forward their old WhatsApp messages?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Sprouts with goats cheese. If you ever have any vegetarians in your life - it's a great lasagne layer too.
    Sorry, meant to say sprouts with chestnuts. The glass of Andresen 20yo port obvs a bit largers than I had realisaedx.
  • Options

Don't go there. Yesterday I had just got into a lovely comfy dressing gown then realised I was almost out of loo roll. So had to get dressed again and wander round the local "Sainburys Local" to find some while trying to dodge the people coughing their lungs up while doing their "omg! it's xmas! why didn't someone warn me!" last-minute shop.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tres said:

If his job was "run through of Waitrose xmas ad idea" I'd agree.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Don't go there. Yesterday I had just got into a lovely comfy dressing gown then realised I was almost out of loo roll. So had to get dressed again and wander round the local "Sainburys Local" to find some while trying to dodge the people coughing their lungs up while doing their "omg! it's xmas! why didn't someone warn me!" last-minute shop.
    In fairness Christmas Eve being a Sunday was typical of the planning of this government. Bet it doesn’t happen again in the next Parliament.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

In fairness Christmas Eve being a Sunday was typical of the planning of this government. Bet it doesn’t happen again in the next Parliament.
    2028 is the next time. So just within it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Damn. Forgot the leap year.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Does one need to parboil the sprouts before layering them into the casserole dish for the lasagna?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Keir may go for an early election Spring 2028 so it might still not be in the next Parliament
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Keir may go for an early election Spring 2028 so it might still not be in the next Parliament
    Or he may have no choice about going early, depending on whether he has a majority and how big it is.

So, it's within the maximum possible timeframe of the next parliament.
  • Options
    Tres said:

What The Actual Fucking Fuck
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,083

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Isn’t he going to bring back the FTPA?
  • Options
    Right. Settling down for "Mog's Christmas"

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,026
    Tres said:

An advantage for Sunak of only being 4’8” is that he can’t be killed by being tied to the railway track. He is 1/2” too short.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Just got in from spending Christmas Day at my niece's house. My highlight was winning our traditional game of Timeline ( a game for historians). A prosperous New Year to all PBers.
  • Options

Tres said:

An advantage for Sunak of only being 4’8” is that he can’t be killed by being tied to the railway track. He is 1/2” too short.
    Could always go for the approach they used in The Avengers;

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,643

Tres said:

OOO guage?
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,303
    edited December 2023
    It's time for the annual reminder of one of the greatest singers on her birthday

Merry Clayton was called Merry because she was born on Christmas day

She sang the first released version of the Shoop Shoop song
    https://youtu.be/4rELeYWQ_Ik?si=saYhUgyKdj4yg_f5

She sang on Sweet Home Alabama

She sang "Rape. Murder. Its just a shot away" on Gimme Shelter. And had a miscarriage the same night

This is her solo version https://youtu.be/AHvXhWJ0oHU?si=r4gfNmbB4hNSRDLs

Much more recently, she was in a horrible car accident and lost both of her legs. But she's still singing

This is the opening track from her 1971 album "Merry Clayton", Neil Young's 'Southern Man'
    https://youtu.be/ItXxsxlSrQQ?si=NFBjPOTe4nQ6IZRA

I love the whole album and wish you all a very Merry Merry Christmas x

• Options
    Merry Xmas to you all
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,012

Tres said:

Big cringe. He’s just said yesterday he was on the way to Yorkshire for Christmas, so big continuity error as well.

Sir Keir shared a photo of himself and the wife at their ‘traditional Christmas Day drink’ with neighbours at the local. First time he’s ever mentioned it on Christmas Day before, but I
    suppose everyone will believe him
  • Options
    isam said:

Tres said:

Big cringe. He’s just said yesterday he was on the way to Yorkshire for Christmas, so big continuity error as well.

Sir Keir shared a photo of himself and the wife at their ‘traditional Christmas Day drink’ with neighbours at the local. First time he’s ever mentioned it on Christmas Day before, but I
    Four day switcheroo between calling for restrictions to stay then moaning about them staying in 2020

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Tres said:

Four day switcheroo between calling for restrictions to stay then moaning about them staying in 2020

Classic Slalom Sir Keiring
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ohnotnow said:

Help is at hand. After the Sunday Xmas Eve in 2034 there is an 11 year gap until until the next one in 2045.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Tres said:

OOO guage?
    Without a dog, it’s hard to tell
    Is that an XXL Bully or an XXXXXL Bully, though?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,037
    "Paul Joseph Watson
    @PrisonPlanet

Happy Christmas. Feeling incredibly blessed."

https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1739376766173462912
  • Options
    Right. Time for the Dawn Patrol drinking game. Every time Basil Rathbone opens a new bottle….
  • Options

Tres said:

OOO guage?
    A bit odd - she seems to be tied down two ways, quite the continuity error? Compare

http://theavengers.tv/forever/peel1-2.htm
    http://www.fsmr.org.uk/avengers.html
  • Options

For some reason they've been there for a while.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Tres said:

No, the later tweet was highlighting the tardiness of Johnson's u-turn on a Christmas lock-down; Johnson stuck his head in the sand, ignored rising covid numbers and thus encouraged many to make Christmas plans they then had to cancel. See also:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/19/johnson-u-turn-leaves-nations-plans-for-christmas-in-tatters

Still, just think of the glorious 5 or 10 years ahead when you can spend every day knocking Starmer and the Labour government. Something for you yo look forward to, eh?
  • Options
    isam said:

Tres said:

Though the plot of Home Alone was about a family "accidentally" leaving the small annoying one behind while the rest of them had a nice break.
  • Options

isam said:

Tres said:

Though the plot of Home Alone was about a family "accidentally" leaving the small annoying one behind while the rest of them had a nice break.
    Rishi's video was OK and a damn sight better than President Macron's
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1738607830934987128
  • Options

For some reason they've been there for a while.
    Waiting for a train?
  • Options
    Oh I see we are back to captain hindsight again.

PB Tories clearly rattled by the polls which call Keir “good” and Sunak “weak”
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,848
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The connection between Islam, Christianity and Judaism as the great Abrahamic religions. The recognition that for some Christmas is more about family and friendship than Christianity. The need for community activism and to protect our environment and deal with the challenge of climate change.

Very much a King's speech written in preparedness for a likely Starmer government next year I would say. Much less about Jesus and Christianity than his mother had too

If Charles were a private citizen, I expect I would have very little in common with him, politically. I’m not sure he’d even be a supporter of the monarchy.
    If charles were a private citizen he would likely have grown up differently and have hugely different attitudes
  • Options

He's certainly swerved right up your alley

For now
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Tres said:

I think it was supposed to be a meeting of his closest supporters.

Oh, and Larry was framed.
    My Girl's Pussy, a song from 1931
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-iD9IOXxps
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Tres said:

No, the later tweet was highlighting the tardiness of Johnson's u-turn on a Christmas lock-down; Johnson stuck his head in the sand, ignored rising covid numbers and thus encouraged many to make Christmas plans they then had to cancel. See also:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/19/johnson-u-turn-leaves-nations-plans-for-christmas-in-tatters

Still, just think of the glorious 5 or 10 years ahead when you can spend every day knocking Starmer and the Labour government. Something for you yo look forward to, eh?
    Sir Keir asked for the govt to lockdown for Christmas and moaned when they did

Most of this website seem to have enjoyed moaning about Brexit for seven years. They’re still at it so it can’t be that bad
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

The connection between Islam, Christianity and Judaism as the great Abrahamic religions. The recognition that for some Christmas is more about family and friendship than Christianity. The need for community activism and to protect our environment and deal with the challenge of climate change.

Very much a King's speech written in preparedness for a likely Starmer government next year I would say. Much less about Jesus and Christianity than his mother had too

If Charles were a private citizen, I expect I would have very little in common with him, politically. I’m not sure he’d even be a supporter of the monarchy.
    If charles were a private citizen he would likely have grown up differently and have hugely different attitudes
    The thesis underlying Trading Places (another Christmas film)
  • Options

I posted those polls, and don’t ever stick up for Sunak. Which voices are you listening to?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

isam said:

Tres said:

But he posted videos yesterday of him travelling to Yorkshire for Christmas. How could he be home alone at No10?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,848
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Tres said:

Sir Keir asked for the govt to lockdown for Christmas and moaned when they did

Most of this website seem to have enjoyed moaning about Brexit for seven years. They’re still at it so it can’t be that bad
    For once I agree with keir...lock down all christmases so we dont have to spend them with family....many would be happy
  • Options
    Labour probably going to announce a softer version of the Rwanda scheme by the sound of it - offshore processing

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-plots-watertight-alternative-to-rwanda-migrant-plan-bb7m9srzx
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,354

It's actually very good. However people who haven't read it absolutely hate it.
  • Options
    isam said:

Labour probably going to announce a softer version of the Rwanda scheme by the sound of it - offshore processing

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-plots-watertight-alternative-to-rwanda-migrant-plan-bb7m9srzx

You & Leon obtusely refuse to understand.

Off-shore processing is not the Rwanda scheme.
  • Options
    "Why is the Ministry of Justice destroying paper wills?
    Digitisation may be cheaper — but there are also risks
    Mary Harrington"

https://unherd.com/thepost/why-is-the-ministry-of-justice-destroying-paper-wills/
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,245
    isam said:

The article starts rather sensibly, then veers off into "let anyone claim asylum at any British embassy" territory - so we will have to wait and see.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Great film!
  • Options
    isam said:

Tres said:

I suspect that's because it's got to the stage where no-one cares what he says. He's just "not the tories". He might as well go crazy and announce an actual policy at this stage - it's of no matter.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

isam said:

I haven’t really paid much attention to it until I read that article. You make it sound like I’ve constantly misrepresented it, when I’ve never mentioned it. Sounds to me like the Labour plan is to process people abroad, probably not Rwanda, but allow them to possibly claim asylum here, the Tory one is to send them to be processed in Rwanda with no possibility of claiming asylum here
  • Options

Weak banter. Must try harder
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I haven’t really paid much attention to it until I read that article. You make it sound like I’ve constantly misrepresented it, when I’ve never mentioned it. Sounds to me like the Labour plan is to process people abroad, probably not Rwanda, but allow them to possibly claim asylum here, the Tory one is to send them to be processed in Rwanda with no possibility of claiming asylum here
    I'm now somehow picturing "It's a Royal Knockout" with Stuart Hall giggling his way through asylum seekers navigating their way through various ports of call and policies. Possibly a little of Orson Welles "The Trial" thrown in for good measure.

• Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,006
    I received two books from a sister that should appeal to some PB’ers. The one on the left is a nice old curio and the one on the right is one I will actually read, once I get my vision back after the last couple of days.

• Options
    Watched Die Hard again.

It is now Christmas.

I see that Kevin McCarthy is leaving Congress from January 1st.

How do they fill vacant places, and will this affect who is in control?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,006

Pagan2 said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Great film!
    It’s the only film I’ve actually bought on Amazon prime to keep so that I can watch over Christmas.
  • Options
    "Surveying the Ruins
    Political philosopher John Gray reckons with the crisis of life in the West"

https://www.city-journal.org/article/john-gray-surveys-the-ruins
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    Andy_JS said:

"Surveying the Ruins

Can’t the miserable old git go and survey the crisis of life somewhere else ?
    Just for a bit of variety.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,038
    Andy_JS said:

"Surveying the Ruins

"Grey's new book employs a scattergun approach" - see? He cannot for the life of him write in a straight line.

I have just gotten to the bit in Black Mass where he has a go at the Bush 43 administration and by focus being forced on him manages to write coherently. I'm enjoying this bit, but by golly you have to wade thru treacle first.
  • Options
    New thread.
This discussion has been closed.