Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A note from Mike Smithson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,368
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

biggles said:

When you look at the polling, very few people actually want HS2. How then has the Government not turned scrapping it into a net positive? Surround yourself with grateful NIMBYs. It’s not hard.

Very few people actively wanted it.
    Fewer still want it crippling after it's half built.
    Yeah that’s not what the polling says. More want it stopped than not.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/support-for-high-speed-rail-hs2

(I’d keep it - not arguing on substance).

Edit - or depending on the question a dead heat, and an easily winnable argument if you say you’ll spend “on our NHS instead”.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2021/11/18/98559/1
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Nigelb said:

biggles said:

When you look at the polling, very few people actually want HS2. How then has the Government not turned scrapping it into a net positive? Surround yourself with grateful NIMBYs. It’s not hard.

More oppose the cut in recent polling - probably because of the stupidity of leaving it half built
    https://x.com/electionmapsuk/status/1708838268526014944?s=46&t=2iv1prQ4P8HyMrM-UX0Dig
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

@montie
    I walked into Conference earlier with
    @Nigel_Farage
    . He got quite the reception. I'm convinced party members would choose him as leader if they could.

The Tory membership is UKIP lite.

Until the Tory leadership deal with it as Starmer has, or Kinnock did, the Tories are destined for a long spell in opposition.

Ordinary decent Tories could help by joining or rejoining the party.
    The Tories haven't even lost a general election yet and are still in power.

In Labour terms Sunak is Callaghan 1978 or Brown 2009, we haven't even got to the Tory Foot or Corbyn yet let alone see them lose.

Remember also Foot led in some early polls in opposition as unemployment rose in the early Thatcher years and Corbyn got a hung parliament in 2017, just because you aren't centrist doesn't mean you don't have support
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,116

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump has his knokers..

I've been on t'Internet since 1988. Even back then, people who wrote in ALL CAPS were seen as a *certain* type of person... ;)
    Programmers?
    Nah that was pre-1983, on coding sheets. At least, for me it was.
    IIRC 48K Basic on the ZX Spectrum was all in caps, whereas 128k was partially in lower case. May have remembered wrongly.
    The mention of Basic brings a particular personal animus/resentment; as a wee lad me dad brought home a second-hand Acorn Electron and a stack of Electron User mags.

I gamely tried to teach myself Basic, in between playing Repton, Citadel and other minor tape classics, but my parents thought it was a waste of time and forced me to do far less productive things like hours of handwriting (which I’m still rubbish at).
    I used to spend hours as a 9 year old copying programs from Electron User mag. Lines like “for A = int rnd” and “end proc”. Especially the ones by prolific creator Roland Waddilove.
    Luxury. I spent hours copying programs written in 6502 machine code. Machine code, not even assembly code. Lines like "CB6F44B329D3E56A4590A1". Thousands of characters. One wrong, and the program wouldn't run. And no clue which one was wrong.
    Impressive, especially as the reward at the end was, at best, a pared back version of Frogger.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Is the Tory dislike for 15 minute cities that they are too convenient or too inconvenient? Would they prefer 20 minute cities or 10 minute cities? Help!

Yes.

No problem with 15 minute towns or cities so long as its done without restricting people.

Places like Oxford have been putting in inconvenient restrictions in roads against driving to facilitate the 'convenience' of walking/cycling to a location.

Its the same discussion I've had before with Eabhal. If its done right, without restrictions, absolutely no qualms with that. If you start converting roads, blocking paths, trying to restrict people - then we have a problem.

Being able to walk to one shop in 15 minutes is no alternative to being able to drive to dozens of different shops of your choice within 15 minutes.
    But even you've fallen for the conspiracy theories :(. An LTN is distinct from a 15-minute city.

An LTN attempts to reduce ratrunning through residential neighbourhoods, something that has recently become much more problematic by apps like Google Maps and Waze, along with an increase in car mileage in our cities and towns. A positive side effect of LTNs is they reduce the number of junctions on arterial roads, leading to better flow.

A 15-minute, which means important facilities are within walking distance for most people, just helps to increase accessibility of services for people who can't drive, which is a significant proportion of the population and correlates with poverty, old age and disability. They are exceptionally popular when explained properly.

Any new housing development is an LTN, but generally not a 15- minute city, for example. A pre-motorcar tenement area is likely the inverse.
    It's really important that we keep an eye on this - the misinformation will now be off the scale following the Conservative conference.

In terms of "restriction", in an LTN no home is made inaccessible by car. It may take slightly longer to get there, as it does in a modern estate.

In terms of "freedom" - this is more debatable, but I think that the freedom for people to walk and cycle around is inhibited by car traffic, at least a bit. And the freedom to use public transport simply doesn't exist for many people outside London, even in built up areas.

Cars are an important way of getting around for most people, but most people are also open to alternatives, and for many driving isn't possible in the first place.
    If I was Labour, I'd ignore most if this though. The weirdest thing is leniency for illegal parking.

I'd pin this tweet to the wall. Bad parking drives people insane...

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1593656541898571776?t=zO30C6Cj2piSrzFRFQnkbA&s=19
    You have to park on the pavement in my street (half on, half off). That is literally the rules!
    Can you still get past with a wheelchair/pram? And what's the condition of the pavement? (Often overlooked - councils spend money repairing the damage from pavement parking, including personal injury claims).

Note that London and Scotland have banned pavement parking.
    Fake news. I live in London and you have to park on the pavement, as I say. Half on, half off - I’m not saying it’s sensible but those are the rules.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,368
    edited October 2023

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

More oppose the cut in recent polling - probably because of the stupidity of leaving it half built
    https://x.com/electionmapsuk/status/1708838268526014944?s=46&t=2iv1prQ4P8HyMrM-UX0Dig
    Hmmm. Fair enough. More up to date that what I found. I wonder if we’re also re-entering 90s/00s polling land where an idea being a Tory idea makes it unpopular.

Edit - mind you I bet I could move that dial by stating the price and what else it could pay for. I suspect these are all fragile numbers.
  • Options
    @emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h
    Hearing stories about people being abused and kicked out of bars across Manchester just because they’re Tories.

The tolerant left!
    https://x.com/emilyhewertson/status/1708893056059969794?s=20
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,294

Tim Montgomerie 🇬🇧
    @montie
    @Nigel_Farage He got quite the reception. I'm convinced party members would choose him as leader if they could.

===

Why do you think he is there for first time in years Tim?
  • Options
    'The Green Party of England and Wales has adopted a major new guidance document to assist its disciplinary processes. The new guidance seeks to help the party identify discrimination against LGBT+ people. Within the guidance adopted by the party is a definition of queerphobia.

The party is expected to publish the guidance document – including the definition – in the coming days.

The new guidance has been inserted into the Green Party’s framework for ethics and conduct which is used internally including by the party’s disciplinary bodies.

The adoption of a definition of queerphobia follows the party integrating a definition of islamophobia into the same framework earlier this year. It also comes two years after Green Party members agreed to adopt a detailed guidance document on antisemitism.'
    https://bright-green.org/2023/10/02/green-party-adopts-definition-of-queerphobia-as-part-of-guidance-document-on-identifying-anti-lgbt-discrimination/
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Is the Tory dislike for 15 minute cities that they are too convenient or too inconvenient? Would they prefer 20 minute cities or 10 minute cities? Help!

Yes.

No problem with 15 minute towns or cities so long as its done without restricting people.

Places like Oxford have been putting in inconvenient restrictions in roads against driving to facilitate the 'convenience' of walking/cycling to a location.

Its the same discussion I've had before with Eabhal. If its done right, without restrictions, absolutely no qualms with that. If you start converting roads, blocking paths, trying to restrict people - then we have a problem.

Being able to walk to one shop in 15 minutes is no alternative to being able to drive to dozens of different shops of your choice within 15 minutes.
    But even you've fallen for the conspiracy theories :(. An LTN is distinct from a 15-minute city.

An LTN attempts to reduce ratrunning through residential neighbourhoods, something that has recently become much more problematic by apps like Google Maps and Waze, along with an increase in car mileage in our cities and towns. A positive side effect of LTNs is they reduce the number of junctions on arterial roads, leading to better flow.

A 15-minute, which means important facilities are within walking distance for most people, just helps to increase accessibility of services for people who can't drive, which is a significant proportion of the population and correlates with poverty, old age and disability. They are exceptionally popular when explained properly.

Any new housing development is an LTN, but generally not a 15- minute city, for example. A pre-motorcar tenement area is likely the inverse.
    It's really important that we keep an eye on this - the misinformation will now be off the scale following the Conservative conference.

In terms of "restriction", in an LTN no home is made inaccessible by car. It may take slightly longer to get there, as it does in a modern estate.

In terms of "freedom" - this is more debatable, but I think that the freedom for people to walk and cycle around is inhibited by car traffic, at least a bit. And the freedom to use public transport simply doesn't exist for many people outside London, even in built up areas.

Cars are an important way of getting around for most people, but most people are also open to alternatives, and for many driving isn't possible in the first place.
    If I was Labour, I'd ignore most if this though. The weirdest thing is leniency for illegal parking.

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1593656541898571776?t=zO30C6Cj2piSrzFRFQnkbA&s=19
    You have to park on the pavement in my street (half on, half off). That is literally the rules!
    Can you still get past with a wheelchair/pram? And what's the condition of the pavement? (Often overlooked - councils spend money repairing the damage from pavement parking, including personal injury claims).

Fake news. I live in London and you have to park on the pavement, as I say. Half on, half off - I’m not saying it’s sensible but those are the rules.
    You have to park half-on/half-off on little residential streets, or you'll block the road!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,759
    biggles said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Hmmm. Fair enough. More up to date that what I found. I wonder if we’re also re-entering 90s/00s polling land where an idea being a Tory idea makes it unpopular.
    Suspect it's more that, where HS2 is concerned, you can get whatever result you want from polling depending on the slight nuances you apply to the question.

But governments are meant to govern. If we'd polled the about the channel tunnel when it was half built I bet we'd have got similarly confusing results; now, no one seriously questions it.

Just get it f*cking built!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

@montie
    @Nigel_Farage
    . He got quite the reception. I'm convinced party members would choose him as leader if they could.

Until the Tory leadership deal with it as Starmer has, or Kinnock did, the Tories are destined for a long spell in opposition.

In Labour terms Sunak is Callaghan 1978 or Brown 2009, we haven't even got to the Tory Foot or Corbyn yet let alone see them lose.

Remember also Foot led in some early polls in opposition as unemployment rose in the early Thatcher years and Corbyn got a hung parliament in 2017, just because you aren't centrist doesn't mean you don't have support
    To take the Norman Lamont distinction, Sunak is definitely in office.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Enjoy your break Mike, best wishes.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h
    Hearing stories about people being abused and kicked out of bars across Manchester just because they’re Tories.

The tolerant left!

Never mind, Tories. Plenty of bars in Birmingham you could go to.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

There is literally a rule in the Highway Code just for London:

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,458
    I think this is the end of the line, an Orwellian dragnet which includes 'people like us'.

"Speaking at a fringe event of the Conservative party conference hosted by the Policy Exchange thinktank, Philp said: “I’m going to be asking police forces to search all of those databases – the police national database, which has custody images, but also other databases like the passport database – not just for shoplifting but for crime generally to get those matches, because the technology is now so good that you can get a blurred image and get a match for it.

“Operationally, I’m asking them to do it now. In the medium term, by which I mean the next two years, we’re going to try and create a new data platform so you can press one button [and it] lets you search it all in one go.

Until the new platform is created, he said police forces should search each database separately."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/uk-passport-images-database-could-be-used-to-catch-shoplifters
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You have to park half-on/half-off on little residential streets, or you'll block the road!
    If you can't park without blocking the pavement or the carriageway then it's an offence to park at all.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Um, how does that explain this sign right outside my house?

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Perhaps so, but it is utter rubbish. My street is half on, half off as I keep telling you. And I am in London. There are literally general use parking spaces marked out half on the pavement and half off them. That is the rule on my street.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

I presume that is an exception? Weird.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

The last remaining legal form of protest...
  • Options
    Newsnight. Defending the HS2 PR disaster for tories is Gareth Davies.

Never heard of him?

Me neither.

Brave man though.
  • Options
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

The last remaining legal form of protest...
    Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    ·
    2h
    Maybe just try a little way out of town in one of the ex-mining communities
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

I think this is the end of the line, an Orwellian dragnet which includes 'people like us'.

"Speaking at a fringe event of the Conservative party conference hosted by the Policy Exchange thinktank, Philp said: “I’m going to be asking police forces to search all of those databases – the police national database, which has custody images, but also other databases like the passport database – not just for shoplifting but for crime generally to get those matches, because the technology is now so good that you can get a blurred image and get a match for it.

“Operationally, I’m asking them to do it now. In the medium term, by which I mean the next two years, we’re going to try and create a new data platform so you can press one button [and it] lets you search it all in one go.

Until the new platform is created, he said police forces should search each database separately."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/uk-passport-images-database-could-be-used-to-catch-shoplifters

"It means that over 45 million of us with passports who gave our images for travel purposes will, without any kind of consent or the ability to object, be part of secret police lineups."

That's not correct. It's stated in HMPO's privacy guidelines that the information in your application is shared with other departments "to help fulfill their aims and objectives".

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hmpo-privacy-information-notice
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

Manchester seems an odd choice - it’s not exactly renowned for being a Tory-friendly sort of place. Didn’t they poll zero (or maybe one/two) votes in a local byelection up there a few years back?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,564
    HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

Probably because they're trying to pay with cash.
  • Options
    PM brings down axe on HS2 in the North - Times front page.

Northern seats? All gone. If they weren't already.

• Options

HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

Truly they are scum.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

If you can't park without blocking the pavement or the carriageway then it's an offence to park at all.
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

There are several ‘exceptions’ - so much so that the Highway Code claiming this is a rule is something of a stretch, to say the least.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

@montie
    @Nigel_Farage

Don't you agree that ordinary decent Tories could help by joining or rejoining the party. Taking back control?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

There are roads like that near me. You can't get by with a pram or a wheelchair but it's official.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

You reckon they were planning to pay at all?
  • Options
    FYI if anyone is interested:

I've selected a "red wall" and "blue wall" local authority areas and have found that car ownership is lower in the red wall. Population density, which is correlated very closely with car ownership, is roughly the same in both "walls" if we exclude London.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    Por hispanohablantes - yesterday's presidential debate from Argentina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3YgZhvuqsk
  • Options
    Whether or not LTNs are a good or a bad thing is besides the point. How is it even possible when we apparently can't even have low-traffic pavements.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

There are several ‘exceptions’ - so much so that the Highway Code claiming this is a rule is something of a stretch, to say the least.
    "Must" is backed up by legislation. You'd have to read the Act.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    RobD said:

"It means that over 45 million of us with passports who gave our images for travel purposes will, without any kind of consent or the ability to object, be part of secret police lineups."

That's not correct. It's stated in HMPO's privacy guidelines that the information in your application is shared with other departments "to help fulfill their aims and objectives".

But it states: We may share data with business partners, other government departments, law enforcement agencies and local authorities to help fulfil their aims and objectives.

I believe the police are a law enforcement agency (allegedly).
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

I've selected a "red wall" and "blue wall" local authority areas and have found that car ownership is lower in the red wall. Population density, which is correlated very closely with car ownership, is roughly the same in both "walls" if we exclude London.

My point is that this pro-motoring pivot, along with the cancellation of HS2 in the north, is a core southern seats strategy.
  • Options

RobD said:

But it states: We may share data with business partners, other government departments, law enforcement agencies and local authorities to help fulfil their aims and objectives.

I think you just said what I said, unless I am missing something?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,778
    edited October 2023
    Get breeding says minister.*

Families should have more children to care for ageing UK population, minister says
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/families-should-have-more-children-to-care-for-ageing-uk-population-minister-says

*Not if you're an immigrant.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

I need read no Act to know that the rule on my street, as with many streets in London, is to park half on and half off the pavement. If you park otherwise, you will be promptly issued with a parking ticket for £120 (reduced to £60 for quick payment).
  • Options

I doubt it will make much difference, the biggest support for HS2 is with London voters not northern voters
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/support-for-high-speed-rail-hs2?crossBreak=north
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,119
    Sunak could come out with a pro North (London) policy and build Crossrail 2.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

Manchester seems an odd choice - it’s not exactly renowned for being a Tory-friendly sort of place. Didn’t they poll zero (or maybe one/two) votes in a local byelection up there a few years back?
    Yes, back to Bournemouth and Blackpool
  • Options
    Bit of a boring discussion: found this on the web:

[Except] vehicles parked in places which the local council has exempted from the bans. If you are parking in a street exempted from the ban then there will be bays painted in white indicating where you can park.

So it’s banned in London except where it isn’t, and is in fact the only way you are allowed to park!
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Freedom for pedestrians is inhibited by arsehole cyclists. I have never felt threatend by cars or hit by them I have by cyclists because they are arseholes who think laws dont apply to them
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Sorry. I thought you're "that's not correct" meant you didn't agree that HMPO can share their data with the police. Presumably you mean we did consent? (Not that anybody reads the privacy notice).
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

I need read no Act to know that the rule on my street, as with many streets in London, is to park half on and half off the pavement. If you park otherwise, you will be promptly issued with a parking ticket for £120 (reduced to £60 for quick payment).
    Just looked it up - councils in London can exempt some pavements from the ban. As you're long as you're not blocking a wheelchair/pram, you're fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

Families should have more children to care for ageing UK population, minister says
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/02/families-should-have-more-children-to-care-for-ageing-uk-population-minister-says

Nothing gets me in the mood like a Tory minister telling me they want my child to wipe their aunt Doris's bum.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

My point is that this pro-motoring pivot, along with the cancellation of HS2 in the north, is a core southern seats strategy.
    Sheer unmitigated genius
  • Options
    Which would you run as the headline ?

No one is above the law, Trump told in New York fraud case

Trump blasts judge during first day of $250 million fraud trial

90% of the US 'liberal media' ran with a version of the latter.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,771
    Nigelb said:

Or need any benefits...
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Freedom for pedestrians is inhibited by arsehole cyclists. I have never felt threatend by cars or hit by them I have by cyclists because they are arseholes who think laws dont apply to them
    Even on pavements cars are more more dangerous.

Between 2005 and 2018, 548 pedestrians on pavements were killed by vehicles. Only 6 of those vehicles were bikes.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I doubt it will make much difference, the biggest support for HS2 is with London voters not northern voters
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/support-for-high-speed-rail-hs2?crossBreak=north
    You are missing the symbolism.

It is no longer about HS2 detail and pro and cons.

The PR disaster has led to:

Fuck the North yet again is what voters will notice.

• Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Sorry. I thought you're "that's not correct" meant you didn't agree that HMPO can share their data with the police. Presumably you mean we did consent? (Not that anybody reads the privacy notice).
    Ah, sorry. I meant that the quote I posted first "It means that over 45 million of us..." was not correct. When you applied for a passport, you gave HMPO permission to share the data.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

That streaker at the Manchester Velodrome.. that was you, wasn't it.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

You reckon they were planning to pay at all?
    Were they smashing the crockery, puking on the furniture, abusing the barmaids - and getting Daddy to send the money for reparations? I only ask because I saw a film with that plotline once.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

HYUFD said:

Londoners want, Londoners get.

Crossrail and HS2, on top of our tube, tram and bus network. Thank you very much.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I can't remember which guru said it recently, but their theory was that the policy matters a lot less with the public than the vibes- do they sound competent and on my side.

Even if Sunak's plan is correct (and I have profound doubts about that), the last week or so has been an utter train wreck.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Or need any benefits...
    Or can't buy a house to raise them in.

This conference is turning into Alice in bloody Farage land.

• Options
    biggles said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Edit - mind you I bet I could move that dial by stating the price and what else it could pay for. I suspect these are all fragile numbers.
    It will also depend on how the question is posed.

"Would you leave HS2 half finished after spending tens of billions ?" is likely to get a somewhat different response to "would you halt HS2 ?"

Which question is the fair one ?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Between 2005 and 2018, 548 pedestrians on pavements were killed by vehicles. Only 6 of those vehicles were bikes.
    I talk from personal experience...in my 57 years of life never once come close to being hit by a car. Have been hit twice by arseholes on bikes and had my sons push chair slammed into and catapaulted into the middle of a 40 mph dual carriageway...luckily he wasnt in it but in my arms at the time....do forgive me when I think cyclists are complete and utter c**ts on the whole and the gene pool would be better without them
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Crossrail and HS2, on top of our tube, tram and bus network. Thank you very much.
    Well at least we appreciate public transport down here. Reading PB at times you’d think out-of-towners would prefer to raze their towns and cities, knocking down any obstacles that prevented them reaching 40mph on their way to a retail park. Or maybe that is just Bart.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,875

HYUFD said:

I can't remember which guru said it recently, but their theory was that the policy matters a lot less with the public than the vibes- do they sound competent and on my side.

Even if Sunak's plan is correct (and I have profound doubts about that), the last week or so has been an utter train wreck.
    Can’t be a train wreck

…if you cancel the train line

• Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

I talk from personal experience...in my 57 years of life never once come close to being hit by a car. Have been hit twice by arseholes on bikes and had my sons push chair slammed into and catapaulted into the middle of a 40 mph dual carriageway...luckily he wasnt in it but in my arms at the time....do forgive me when I think cyclists are complete and utter c**ts on the whole and the gene pool would be better without them
    You seem well-adjusted
    Ask most people like me ie pedestrians which they dislike and fear more cars or cyclists pretty sure the answer will be cyclists, followed by escooters
  • Options
    ….
  • Options

Eabhal said:

HYUFD said:

Well at least we appreciate public transport down here. Reading PB at times you’d think out-of-towners would prefer to raze their towns and cities, knocking down any obstacles that prevented them reaching 40mph on their way to a retail park. Or maybe that is just Bart.
    He doesn't even speak for Warrington: https://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2023/09/04/residents-overwhelming-support-for-investment-in-public-transport/
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    Ask most people like me ie pedestrians which they dislike and fear more cars or cyclists pretty sure the answer will be cyclists, followed by escooters
    Ok, I'm a pedestrian, I fear cars more.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Ah, so it was you that beeped me while tailgating me on a single lane road yesterday, before close-passing with a foot clearance. Glad we cleared that up. Surefire way to wipe out the cycling gene pool.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Given cyclists tend to be faster, stronger and younger than the rest of the population, you can expect that gene pool to be polluted further still.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    I’m a pedestrian. I fear cars more.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836
    Farage to loudly declare he has applied for his Tory party membership and is looking for selection to a seat??

Always one for the political opportunity, that lad.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    I've been nearly hit by two cyclists who failed to stop at red lights at pedestrian crossings in the last few years (most recently last month).
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    Cars you only deal with when you cross a road. most of the time their is a crossing and 99% percent of drivers tend to observe the rules. Cyclists dont the will thread between you at 20mph because how dare we hold them up. They ride on pavements not designated for their use and if there is a collision tell you its your fault. They need all shooting frankly
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Did you put it there ? 😏
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Farage to loudly declare he has applied for his Tory party membership and is looking for selection to a seat??

Sunak's CCHQ wouldn't allow him on the candidates list
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,782

Leaving aside the Orwellian aspect, people who aren't even related can look *very* similar. Check out the pics in this article:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/jun/11/twice-in-a-lifetime-would-you-dare-meet-your-doppelganger-
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

(1) it may not be true
    and
    (2) how can she be sure that it wasn't Reform voters kicking the Tories out?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Given cyclists tend to be faster, stronger and younger than the rest of the population, you can expect that gene pool to be polluted further still.
    They are too emasculated by their razor saddles to breed so thankfully they will die out due to crushed scrotums
  • Options
    edited October 2023

HYUFD said:

They won't if Northern town redwall voters get improved local bus routes, roads and rail routes instead.

They voted Conservative in 2019, not a single seat in Manchester or Liverpool or Leeds or Bradford voted Conservative even then
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    Cars you only deal with when you cross a road. most of the time their is a crossing and 99% percent of drivers tend to observe the rules. Cyclists dont the will thread between you at 20mph because how dare we hold them up. They ride on pavements not designated for their use and if there is a collision tell you its your fault. They need all shooting frankly
    “They all need shooting”.

Oh dear, dear, me.

Your prejudices precede you. The guy upthread has shown you the stats. You have just ignored them.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    Yet, somehow, cars manage to kill approximately one pedestrian a day, while bikes and scooters combined average less than one a month.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,875

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    I’m a pedestrian and I fear cars more, not least because there’s a possibility they’re being driven by a Neanderthal who thinks it’s ok to say “They need all shooting frankly” about people based solely on their mode of transport that day.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,836
    HYUFD said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sunak's CCHQ wouldn't allow him on the candidates list
    Oh, yes, I'm sure they wouldn't.

But imagine the trouble it would cause, which is why I imagined it as loudly declared.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,838
    HYUFD said:

@emilyhewertson
    ·
    4h

The tolerant left!

At least it isn't quite as bad as Liverpool.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    Andy_JS said:

"Redfield / Wilton

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 29% (+1)
    Liberal Democrat 12% (-1)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 4% (-1)
    Scottish National Party 3% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 24 September"

Must be another outlier
  • Options

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    I’m a pedestrian and I fear cars more, not least because there’s a possibility they’re being driven by a Neanderthal who thinks it’s ok to say “They need all shooting frankly” about people based solely on their mode of transport that day.
    Indeed. Funny old world.
  • Options
    Justine Greening having an excellent outing on Newsnight.

A real loss to Tories thanks to Boris and Cummings.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Sadly this poster is closer to the median voter.

https://twitter.com/fesshole/status/1708608992396681375
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

They won't if Northern town redwall voters get improved local bus routes, roads and rail routes instead.

They voted Conservative in 2019, not a single seat in Manchester or Liverpool or Leeds or Bradford voted Conservative even then
    Good luck trying to find any bus drivers at the moment. Go Ahead North are on strike because they've discovered bus drivers down south are earning more...
  • Options
    The other day I was chasing a cyclist with my gun, trying to get a clear shot at him as I missed with my first three, and he went through a red light!!!!1!! Frankly I'm outraged.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,957
    So the transport department has monthly updates on HS2 and would have known about the spiraling costs for years and this would have been relayed to no 11.

I expect Sunak to spin that it’s nothing to do with him and some previous administration is to blame.

• Options

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

You seem well-adjusted
    not a driver nor owned or driven a car for fifteen odd years though still have a licence....sorry cyclists cause me far more trouble than cars ever have done. They are total wankers mostly
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

Just yesterday I was crossing at a green man signal and had the umbrella I was holding ripped out of my hand by a car speeding through it. Luckily I was holding it a few feet in front of me due to the wind so didn't actually mow me down.

Anecdotes galore.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But they wont get improved bus routes, roads and whatever.

It will not happen.

The 'unspent' money will be recycled back into the pot and added to the fiscal headroom that can allow Hunt to announce a tax cut in Spring 2024.

If you think this HS2 cancel means Leigh gets a new No 36 bus then I have a bridge to sell you.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    biggles said:

Nigelb said:

biggles said:

Spending always polls well, paying for it doesn't.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Nothing gets me in the mood like a Tory minister telling me they want my child to wipe their aunt Doris's bum.
    I was wrong:
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Yes.

They are too emasculated by their razor saddles to breed so thankfully they will die out due to crushed scrotums
This discussion has been closed.