Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Climate change – the political divide – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited August 2023 in General
imageClimate change – the political divide – politicalbetting.com

I suppose that it should not come as too much of a surprise to look at the Opinium poll table above with the party split on views of climate change – an issue that has been in the news following the Tory by-election campaign in Uxbridge.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

"Good Morning back from #Germany, which has now fallen behind other big nations in Europe w/the exception of Italy. This refutes the thesis that Germany is the biggest economic beneficiary of the introduction of the #Euro."

Not sure I buy the conclusion, but it's an interesting graph.

People forget how bad German growth was at the start of the Euro. If you look at 2005 or so on the chart, Germany was dramatically behind the rest of the Eurozone.

It was only the Schroeder labour market reforms (which were modelled on the Thatcher's reforms) that led to Germany going from sick man of the Euro, to its poster child.

The other stand out on there is Spain. Massive property fuelled growth at the start, followed by a crash, economic reform, and resurgence.

The contrast with Italy, which never bothered with the reform, is remarkable.
    On the latest EU actual individual consumption data, Germany is ahead of all of its neighbours except Luxembourg. What's truly remarkable is that Romania is actually slightly ahead of Ireland.

That's because they are measuring two feet different things: the Bloomberg chart is showing economic growth since the start of the Euro, where Germany has done surprisingly poorly - albeit if you rebased to 2005, it would show a very different story.

Your chart is about relative levels of individual consumption, and which shows Germany to be doing extremely well.

The two are not contradictory.
  • Options
    The TfL website states:
    "Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001
    Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015."
    The RAC website states that:
    "At 8.4 years old (the average age of cars on UK roads is) the highest since records began in 2000, with almost 10 million vehicles from 2008 and earlier still in action. The average car was built in 2011."
    In the last week I have only seen five cars to which the charge will apply, and two of those were diesel.
    How on earth have the Conservatives made this such a big issue?
  • Options
    First time I have been first!
  • Options
    Well I was when I started writing ...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,844
    (FPT)

Andy_JS said:

I'm still hoping that Ron DeSantis may be the GOP candidate next year. What are the chances?

He'll have to do what John McCain did when HIS presidential campaign hit the skids in 2007.

Which was, scrap the old crap campaign plan - which by the summer of '07 McCain couldn't afford anyway as his fundraising had dried up. Replace it was something totally different, which meant hitting the road mean and lean, in the hills and mills of New Hampshire.

Speaking of money, as of last report, the official RDS campaign for POTUS didn't have a pot to piss in, thanks to lackluster number of donors (contributions to official campaign being capped by federal law) AND massive mega-spending for example private jets hither-and-yon.

SO what's happened, is that the DeSantis Super-PAC has taken over paying the bills. AND running operations and tactics, obviously.

And strategy? Harder nut to crack, seeing as how strategy of trying to out-flank Trump from the right has been a total flop. So far, anyhow.
    Except that he's already 'rebooted' his campaign a couple of times.
    He's also attempting to get out and meet the voters - he's just not very good at it.

His supporters are frustrated, but at the same time can't even agree on what he should do.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/28/desantis-trump-campaign-strategy-2024-00108647

• Options
    ‘Up all night worrying’: 92-year-old debanked by NatWest after move to Jamaica
    Last year’s decision left Philip Cato, who moved ‘home’ in 1990s after 30 years working in the UK, cut off from his state pension
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/aug/06/92-year-old-debanked-natwest-jamaica
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,020
    Nigelb said:

Last year’s decision left Philip Cato, who moved ‘home’ in 1990s after 30 years working in the UK, cut off from his state pension
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/aug/06/92-year-old-debanked-natwest-jamaica

Why are banks behaving like this?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    Matt Hancock’s quest for redemption gets ever stranger:

https://twitter.com/l_ghmn/status/1688272961445478400
  • Options

The TfL website states:
    "Petrol cars that meet the ULEZ standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after 2005, although cars that meet the standards have been available since 2001
    Diesel cars that meet the standards are generally those first registered with the DVLA after September 2015."
    "At 8.4 years old (the average age of cars on UK roads is) the highest since records began in 2000, with almost 10 million vehicles from 2008 and earlier still in action. The average car was built in 2011."
    In the last week I have only seen five cars to which the charge will apply, and two of those were diesel.

"This policy only targets some people so why is it an issue".

Would you think that if the policy were something like Section 28?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,871
    Another really bad polling question. Man made climate change is real and is both as bad as often described and also the effects are often exaggerated.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,500
    First bath in a month…
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    https://www.science.org/content/article/changing-clouds-unforeseen-test-geoengineering-fueling-record-ocean-warmth

Convincing reasons to think reducing SO2 emissions from ships has caused oceanic warming (ie it's not just correlation). Bad news in itself, good news on the broader level that it shows we can geoengineer the climate
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,422
    Miklosvar said:

https://www.science.org/content/article/changing-clouds-unforeseen-test-geoengineering-fueling-record-ocean-warmth

Convincing reasons to think reducing SO2 emissions from ships has caused oceanic warming (ie it's not just correlation). Bad news in itself, good news on the broader level that it shows we can geoengineer the climate

This first remains an unproven theory and it does not lead directly to your second statement. There is no guarantee or even likelihood that we have the capacity to do anything of the sort.

Yet more human arrogance.
  • Options
    I agree with Mike but I don't like the wording of this poll which is clumsy and leading. Neither of the two pro-anthropogenic global warming questions are felicitous. And this comes from someone who is passionate about trying to save the planet.
  • Options

Another really bad polling question. Man made climate change is real and is both as bad as often described and also the effects are often exaggerated.

snap
  • Options

Good morning

Agreed
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,861

The TfL website states:

Shockingly bad analogy.

Drivers of polluting cars have the option of upgrading to a less polluting car. Are you suggesting homosexual people had a similar choice?
  • Options

The TfL website states:

Perception and terrible implementation by Khan

ULEZ is the catalyst for the wider argument about the speed and personal costs of net zero, and expect it to be a growing political divide as the months roll on to GE24
  • Options

The TfL website states:

Shockingly bad analogy.

Drivers of polluting cars have the option of upgrading to a less polluting car. Are you suggesting homosexual people had a similar choice?
    I wouldn't have used that example but many of these drivers do not have the option as the compensation on offer does not enable the cash strapped owner to upgrade, not least because there is now a premium on these cars
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    I'm sure Mike knows this, but ULEZ is nothing to do with climate change.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    "The overall split in the poll though has nearly two to one saying it is a real issue."

That's not right. Nearly two to one say it's not only a real issue but also "as bad as often described". Only 7% say it's not a real issue!

The polling figures only go to show that a Tory policy of trying to appeal to climate change sceptics is doomed to failure. It's at least as likely to alienate current Tory supporters as it is to attract current supporters of other parties.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

This first remains an unproven theory and it does not lead directly to your second statement. There is no guarantee or even likelihood that we have the capacity to do anything of the sort.

Yes, I didn't say it was "proven" I said there were sound arguments on one side.

Are you saying that there is nothing we can do about AGW, or that it doesn't exist anyway because it is arrogant to think we have any effect on the climate, or both?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What's politically important, is that only about 5 voters in 100 know that.*

*Source: guess

Also it's a slight nudge, if you make someone sell their 2015 diesel they might swap it for electric earlier than they other wise would. Admittedly not much of a nudge because if you drive a pre 2015 diesel you probably can't afford an EV
  • Options

The TfL website states:

Perception and terrible implementation by Khan

ULEZ is the catalyst for the wider argument about the speed and personal costs of net zero, and expect it to be a growing political divide as the months roll on to GE24
    I doubt it. ULEZ is implemented on 29 August. By next spring it could be forgotten.

I may be wrong of course…
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,841
    Pulpstar said:

It did though spark Sunaks move against Net Zero, not noticing that in Uxbriddge that they scraped home against a big anti-Tory swing, big enough to put Starmer in No 10.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029
    Nigelb said:

He’s not lived in the UK for 30 years. Why should any bank be required to give him a bank account…
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Pulpstar said:

What's politically important, is that only about 5 voters in 100 know that.*

*Source: guess

Also it's a slight nudge, if you make someone sell their 2015 diesel they might swap it for electric earlier than they other wise would. Admittedly not much of a nudge because if you drive a pre 2015 diesel you probably can't afford an EV
    Our 08 Passat is still going well. I'm guessing people will just sell their old diesels around outer London, they're still good cats for those of us in the sticks.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    I feel like it's kind of hard to make out anything from such an unbelievably vague poll. "Often described" by who?
  • Options

The TfL website states:

Shockingly bad analogy.

I wouldn't have used that example but many of these drivers do not have the option as the compensation on offer does not enable the cash strapped owner to upgrade, not least because there is now a premium on these cars
    I don’t believe they don’t have the option, see for example Pulpstar’s post. It does tend to target the less well off though, sadly. But the same could be said of tobacco tax.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Of course we can geoengineer the planet. If we couldn't, we wouldn't be seeing anthropomorphic climate change in the first place.

The unproven question is if we can geoengineer the planet in a way we want to, without unintended consequences.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Yes, I didn't say it was "proven" I said there were sound arguments on one side.

Are you saying that there is nothing we can do about AGW, or that it doesn't exist anyway because it is arrogant to think we have any effect on the climate, or both?
    I don't think we can assume that the damage which we have either caused or contributed to is reversible by us. Whilst the word 'exponential' is over used there's evidence emerging that the acceleration in climate change is of that level.

In other words, it may already be too late.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

He’s not lived in the UK for 30 years. Why should any bank be required to give him a bank account…
    I mean, the combination of "you have a right to a UK pension", "you need a UK bank account to receive your UK pension" and "you can't get a UK bank account" seems bad. You can argue about which of the pieces is wrong.

I would say that more broadly one of the pieces that's wrong right now is that banks have been turned into defacto arms of the state with broad, vaguely-defined obligations to filter their customers and do surveillance on them, but they're technically still private businesses so this is done with no accountability, and in some cases the system is designed to specifically resist accountability. Governments should either stop requiring private businesses to do all this uncosted pseudo-law-enforcement for them or just nationalize the banks and guarantee everyone a basic level of service.
  • Options

I feel like it's kind of hard to make out anything from such an unbelievably vague poll. "Often described" by who?

It is in line with other polling though.

Strong majority for taking anthropogenic climate change seriously, notably even 46% of Tories.

A bit cool here still, but forecast is to be dry all week. I might need to water my hanging baskets, I haven't done so since June. Simply not needed to do so.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Of course we can geoengineer the planet. If we couldn't, we wouldn't be seeing anthropomorphic climate change in the first place.

The unproven question is if we can geoengineer the planet in a way we want to, without unintended consequences.
    I've dipped in and out of here of late and seen some of your posts which seem just a tad strong-headed, if I may say?

To answer your point. Just because we have the capacity to cause global warming does not de facto mean we have the capacity to cause global cooling.

It's proven remarkable easy to heat up the planet. Cooling it down would be a whole heap harder. It may indeed be nigh-impossible.

I'm sure I don't really need to explain all the global economic and scientific reasons for that?
  • Options

The TfL website states:

Shockingly bad analogy.

You've inadvertently proven the point. No, the well off have the option of upgrading to a less polluting car.

The working poor don't necessarily and they're the ones facing this very regressive tax.

Now I have no problem whatsoever with a polluter pays tax, and if its needed then yes this may be a way of doing it - but then defend it on that basis, not that is only a very regressive tax on a minority of poor people who can't afford to upgrade their cars. If I'm not paying this tax, but my friend/relative is hurt by it and can't change their behaviour because they need their vehicle to work and can't upgrade, then I can oppose it not on the basis that I'm paying but because of feeling its wrong that my friend/relative is hurt. Just as I can oppose Section 28 not on the basis that it hurts me, but because it hurts others.

Empathy is real and exists, unlike what @strawbrick seems to think with that twisted logic.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

See also the effect of shutting down air travel for just 3 days after 9/11

https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/empty-skies-after-911-set-the-stage-for-an-unlikely-climate-change-experiment

Contrails are cooling in the day, warming at night. So tax night flights, subsidise daytime, job done
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited August 2023
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

I've dipped in and out of here of late and seen some of your posts which seem just a tad strong-headed, if I may say?

To answer your point. Just because we have the capacity to cause global warming does not de facto mean we have the capacity to cause global cooling.

It's proven remarkable easy to heat up the planet. Cooling it down would be a whole heap harder. It may indeed be nigh-impossible.

I'm sure I don't really need to explain all the global economic and scientific reasons for that?
    You are mixing up different things and coming to 2+2=5 answers.

It is possible to cause cooling, or warming. Both are scientifically achievable.

To do so at a rate significant enough to cause change, and at a rate we can afford, and at a rate we can control, and without risking going too far and cooling it too much, and without unintended consequences - that may be another question.

The reason we've warmed the planet as a species is not because its easier to warm the planet, its because warming the planet was an unintended side-effect of that which we wanted to do anyway rather than done intentionally. That's why we're not going to cool the planet, not because we can't, but because we're not going to try to. Nor should we try to IMO, we shouldn't be deliberately trying to pollute the planet IMO.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

I don't think we can assume that the damage which we have either caused or contributed to is reversible by us. Whilst the word 'exponential' is over used there's evidence emerging that the acceleration in climate change is of that level.

Even if we stopped CO2 emissions worldwide tomorrow we would still have to live with a lot of climate change.

It's when you look at forecasts for 3°or more of global temperature rise that things start to look scary.

Quite apart from the humanitarian and environmental consequences, those sorts of temperature rises are going to be a major drag on economic growth. The "pro-growth" critics of net zero have very short horizons, longer term is a different kettle of fish.

That burden falls hardest on the poor too, something that those crying crocodile tears over owners of older diesels should consider.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,088
    The BBC's story into the 'Irish Light' paper and anti-vaxxers is quite something.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66424582
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

It is possible to cause cooling, or warming. Both are scientifically achievable.

The reason we've warmed the planet as a species is not because its easier to warm the planet, its because warming the planet was an unintended side-effect of that which we wanted to do anyway rather than done intentionally. That's why we're not going to cool the planet, not because we can't, but because we're not going to try to.
    You're very opinionated and I'm not sure you're quite as much of an expert on subjects you pronounce upon as you'd like to think e.g. mental ill health the other day (I refrained from responding).

There is no guarantee that we humans have the current capability to cool the planet. It's not like flicking a switch. The runaway train of AGW would take a huge amount of global concerted effort and it may well be that all it can do is slow the rate of warming not make the planet cooler. I'm hesitant to introduce a new analogy but inflation is something world economies endure. We take steps to keep it as low as we can but prices still go on rising. Actual deflation? Rarer than a hen's teeth.

I am, I admit, pessimistic about the state of the planet. 8 billion people, mostly all polluting, is too much.

Short of a mass extinction I think planet earth is now doomed for future generations.

Anyway, in hopefully happier news, I'm off to watch the lionesses.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

First bath in a month…

You, or the hound ?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,955
    edited August 2023

The TfL website states:

Non-ULEZ compliant car ownership is not a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010.

I can't see any reference to ULEZ in Magna Carta either.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

On the other hand, we can plausibly argue (at its weakest) that interventions in shipping (2020) and aviation (2001) have immediate and naked-eye-visible climatic effects. See also covid, more complex because industrial output is also in the mix, but it was said you could see the Himalaya from Delhi for the first time in a century (not directly a warming issue but a plausible proxy for climatic effects). We are a warm little ball in a lot of very cold space, and heat will dissipate given the chance. It may be we can reset the climate with a 2 year shutdown of non essential activity, harsh but only about what we put up with for covid and about 5% of what our parents put up with over ww2.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,029

eek said:

Nigelb said:

I mean, the combination of "you have a right to a UK pension", "you need a UK bank account to receive your UK pension" and "you can't get a UK bank account" seems bad. You can argue about which of the pieces is wrong.

I would say that more broadly one of the pieces that's wrong right now is that banks have been turned into defacto arms of the state with broad, vaguely-defined obligations to filter their customers and do surveillance on them, but they're technically still private businesses so this is done with no accountability, and in some cases the system is designed to specifically resist accountability. Governments should either stop requiring private businesses to do all this uncosted pseudo-law-enforcement for them or just nationalize the banks and guarantee everyone a basic level of service.
    The problem comes down to the impact of fraud on UK banks and the consequences for staff of the risk of not following the exact processes as laid out - which boil down to we will pin the blame on you if you screw up...

So I can see why the person in Barclays was told the only thing we can suggest is speak to friends or visit a food bank and why there is today's story about Natwest (alongside other banks but the Telegraph miss that bit out) restricting the amount of cash you can pay into an account.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

It's very easily, and rapidly testable, with the balance of risk very strongly in favour if doing so.
    We've been geoengineering the climate since the start of the Industrial Revolution.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,088
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

The reason we've warmed the planet as a species is not because its easier to warm the planet, its because warming the planet was an unintended side-effect of that which we wanted to do anyway rather than done intentionally. That's why we're not going to cool the planet, not because we can't, but because we're not going to try to.
    You're very opinionated and I'm not sure you're quite as much of an expert on subjects you pronounce upon as you'd like to think e.g. mental ill health the other day (I refrained from responding).

There is no guarantee that we humans have the current capability to cool the planet. It's not like flicking a switch. The runaway train of AGW would take a huge amount of global concerted effort and it may well be that all it can do is slow the rate of warming not make the planet cooler. I'm hesitant to introduce a new analogy but inflation is something world economies endure. We take steps to keep it as low as we can but prices still go on rising. Actual deflation? Rarer than a hen's teeth.

I am, I admit, pessimistic about the state of the planet. 8 billion people, mostly all polluting, is too much.

Short of a mass extinction I think planet earth is now doomed for future generations.

I'm a lot more upbeat than that. It's easy to fall into doom and gloom; look at the positives. Yes, we have some way to go, but the steps we have ta...ken have been massive. We are aware, and some of the best minds in the world are looking into the challenges from a multitude of directions.

And cooling the planet is certainly possible. My minor concerns about it are not that it will not work; like the recent SO2 studies from shipping, it is about the unintended side consequences. But the So2 story also shows we can trial stuff in a limited manner quite effectively.

I do think some climate activists (not you...) are against climate engineering not because they don't think it will work, but because it isn't political enough. It's engineering.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Even if we stopped CO2 emissions worldwide tomorrow we would still have to live with a lot of climate change.

It's when you look at forecasts for 3°or more of global temperature rise that things start to look scary.

Quite apart from the humanitarian and environmental consequences, those sorts of temperature rises are going to be a major drag on economic growth. The "pro-growth" critics of net zero have very short horizons, longer term is a different kettle of fish.

That burden falls hardest on the poor too, something that those crying crocodile tears over owners of older diesels should consider.
    There isn't a 1:1 relationship between emissions, warming and the damage to the economy and human welfare.

It's all very complicated so you just have to defer to the experts writing things like CCRA3 or the IPCC reports.

The main criticism is it's all happening far faster than they predicted.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

What an overall temperature rise also does is push up the intensity of extreme events. So, instead of heatwaves of 45 degrees, we get them at 50 degrees. That inevitably ends up causing ever greater harm. And it happens in our oceans as well as on land - to a degree we haven’t yet begun to understand.

The imagination and leadership required to mitigate the effects of climate change - let alone start to reverse it - is just not there. We have failed.

• Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

I'm a lot more upbeat than that. It's easy to fall into doom and gloom; look at the positives. Yes, we have some way to go, but the steps we have ta...ken have been massive. We are aware, and some of the best minds in the world are looking into the challenges from a multitude of directions.

And cooling the planet is certainly possible. My minor concerns about it are not that it will not work; like the recent SO2 studies from shipping, it is about the unintended side consequences. But the So2 story also shows we can trial stuff in a limited manner quite effectively.

I do think some climate activists (not you...) are against climate engineering not because they don't think it will work, but because it isn't political enough. It's engineering.
    I'm up for an engineering solution, just very aware if the law of unintended consequences (this shipping explanation being a prime example!)

Exterminating midgies would have a huge, positive impact on the Scottish economy. But...
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

To do so at a rate significant enough to cause change, and at a rate we can afford, and at a rate we can control, and without risking going too far and cooling it too much, and without unintended consequences - that may be another question.

The reason we've warmed the planet as a species is not because its easier to warm the planet, its because warming the planet was an unintended side-effect of that which we wanted to do anyway rather than done intentionally. That's why we're not going to cool the planet, not because we can't, but because we're not going to try to. Nor should we try to IMO, we shouldn't be deliberately trying to pollute the planet IMO.
    The proposal is to replace the SO2 emissions from ships with salt water mist, so we wouldn't be.
    The potential benefits if the scheme far outweigh (for example) those from the billions Sunak is planning to spend on carbon capture - which is effectively just a massive subsidy to fossil fuel burning.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,028

The BBC's story into the 'Irish Light' paper and anti-vaxxers is quite something.

The mare-eyed, tiresome people behind these ‘media’ all appear remarkably similar.

Nonetheless, I don’t think the dangers of the conspiratorial extremes are taken seriously enough. In an age of diverse media (including news) consumption, the ‘left behind’ can find easy succour in the fringes; much more easily than even a decade ago. It creates a sizeable minority of people for whom mistrust of the state - which can be anything from the PM to a teaching assistant, depending what your axe to grind is - the ‘MSM’ and large institutions simply becomes axiomatic. That’s a legitimate threat to democracy.

Honestly, I think there’s a touch of arrogance in media and politics that these people are all crackpots and therefore people who follow them are morons. They aren’t. I have a QAnon follower in my family - he is otherwise a bright and compassionate person, but his mistrust of the mainstream brought him into that world.

Mistrust of authority is quite often justified (Post Office, Met Police, I mean the list is very large). The idea of wrapping that diffuse mistrust into a neat package (even one that collapses at the most basic scrutiny) is seductive.

I don’t know what the answer is. But it does bother me.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,846
    Ghedebrav said:

The mare-eyed, tiresome people behind these ‘media’ all appear remarkably similar.

Nonetheless, I don’t think the dangers of the conspiratorial extremes are taken seriously enough. In an age of diverse media (including news) consumption, the ‘left behind’ can find easy succour in the fringes; much more easily than even a decade ago. It creates a sizeable minority of people for whom mistrust of the state - which can be anything from the PM to a teaching assistant, depending what your axe to grind is - the ‘MSM’ and large institutions simply becomes axiomatic. That’s a legitimate threat to democracy.

Honestly, I think there’s a touch of arrogance in media and politics that these people are all crackpots and therefore people who follow them are morons. They aren’t. I have a QAnon follower in my family - he is otherwise a bright and compassionate person, but his mistrust of the mainstream brought him into that world.

Mistrust of authority is quite often justified (Post Office, Met Police, I mean the list is very large). The idea of wrapping that diffuse mistrust into a neat package (even one that collapses at the most basic scrutiny) is seductive.

Agreed. Every week, we see crackpot conspiracy theories repeated by some regular posters here. These sorts of beliefs get everywhere.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620

eek said:

Nigelb said:

But -

- it only effects a tiny minority
    - he’s a retired British pensioner living abroad. We’ve been told they are all Fascist Gammons. So why care?
    - Living abroad? A citizen of nowhere!
    - I bet he has a car and it’s not ULEZ compliant.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Ghedebrav said:

Who is financing this free paper ?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,803
    Pulpstar said:

It is however part of the "Green Crap" that David Cameron famously swept away, ensuring we pay higher fuel bills than we would have done. An act of disregarded consequences, which Sunak wants to replicate.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

What an overall temperature rise also does is push up the intensity of extreme events. So, instead of heatwaves of 45 degrees, we get them at 50 degrees. That inevitably ends up causing ever greater harm. And it happens in our oceans as well as on land - to a degree we haven’t yet begun to understand.

The imagination and leadership required to mitigate the effects of climate change - let alone start to reverse it - is just not there. We have failed.

The ocean surface warming this year is unprecedented in human memory.
    And it seems very likely to have been caused by the ban on marine SO2 emissions which has taken place in the last couple of years.

The experiment with generating salt water must to replace the SO2 clouds could be conducted within a very few years.
    It seems perverse to me not to try it.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

You mean the other day when I said that mental health is a serious problem for many?

And that others choose to fake mental health.

That's having an opinion, yes, but its not exceptionally opinionated, its a reasonable middle ground. Not everyone who says they have mental health issues is faking it, many seriously do. Not everyone who says they have mental health issues is telling the truth, some people are lying. That's not an extreme thing to say, its simply reality. Mental health is a very serious problem for those afflicted with it and some other people are liars, whose despicable lies make things harder for people with genuine mental health problems.

I never said we have the current capacity to cool the planet. We don't have the current capacity to prevent climate change either. We have the ingenuity as a species to change our capacity over time. So over time we will have the capacity to end CO2 emissions by reaching net zero. That won't reverse the damage already inflicted though. And if we wanted to, we could have the ingenuity to change the climate in other ways, but I think terraforming is a very dangerous and risky thing to engage in and we shouldn't try to do it personally, just my humble opinion.

To take your example, which is something I'm very strong in understanding, yes deflation is rare but deflation is very possible, indeed it can become endemic in eg places like Japan. And if it weren't for the Bank of England printing money it would have become endemic in the UK post 2007 too. The reason it hasn't, isn't because deflation is hard to achieve, but because given the choice of suffering deflation or printing money, the Government will almost inevitably choose printing money. We don't have deflation by choice, not because its impossible to achieve.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959
    Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

I'm up for an engineering solution, just very aware if the law of unintended consequences (this shipping explanation being a prime example!)

Exterminating midgies would have a huge, positive impact on the Scottish economy. But...
    Food for a lot of other organisms.

Actually, and especially given the wet weather, they have been at very low levels rouind where I live, on a subjective impression of this summer. So too have been swallows and swifts.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,028
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

It is however part of the "Green Crap" that David Cameron famously swept away, ensuring we pay higher fuel bills than we would have done. An act of disregarded consequences, which Sunak wants to replicate.
    Cameron and his Quad have been very lucky in his pisspoor successors. They caused untold damage to the structure of society with their ill-conceived and poorly executed plans - but got away with it under a cloak of reformist liberalism and shielded from scrutiny by the utter shitness of Boris and friends.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

Non-ULEZ compliant car ownership is not a protected characteristic under the Equality Act 2010.

Section 28 didn't violate the Equality Act 2010 either.

I still opposed it [not when introduced, far too young for that, but when I found out about it] and was glad it was repealed.

I oppose picking on minorities not because its against the law, but because its generally the wrong thing to do.

Now saying that you want to do something because its the right thing to do, despite harming a minority, then that is reasonable. Saying that something is right, because it only harms a minority, that is not.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

The proposal is to replace the SO2 emissions from ships with salt water mist, so we wouldn't be.
    The potential benefits if the scheme far outweigh (for example) those from the billions Sunak is planning to spend on carbon capture - which is effectively just a massive subsidy to fossil fuel burning.
    I agree with this on the main topic but I don't think it's fair to say carbon capture is just a fossil fuel subsidy. It's presumably not cost-effective at the current scale, but this was previously true of wind and solar electric cars and all the other tech that's now growing insanely fast. It'll be a great help if we can do it, once we get away from like 80% or 90% of fossil fuel use the last uses are pretty hard and might be easier just to cancel out. It's also not clear that we can get every country to decarbonize since some countries are run by psychopaths, and it might be cheaper to just cancel out their emissions instead of bribing or invading them.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

Food for a lot of other organisms.

Actually, and especially given the wet weather, they have been at very low levels rouind where I live, on a subjective impression of this summer. So too have been swallows and swifts.
    Got eaten alive at Glenelg in June

About as anecdotal as you get ... a friend of mine makes biscuits and was trying to sell them to whoever runs the Inverness sleeper service, to be given to you with your cup of tea in the morning. The guy who declined his pitch, said that they have noted an UPtick in insect windscreen splatter on their trains over the past 3 years.

As for swallows I think absolutely everything has suffered from bird flu this year.
  • Options
    Its amazing that as we experience yet another year of significant climate change being visible and directly destructive that we have to debate this thing. It exists, it's here, denial is like denying the Earth is round.

The world is in transition away from the petrodollar economy to the sustainable economy - that is also self-evident. The response to supply shocks is to accelerate the technologies which make us less reliant on the energy which had the shock.

I know that some people have a libertarian streak and that is their choice. But personal freedom isn't universal. When rights trample on others they are not rights. And society collectively has the right to impose rules and standards on how we behave.

Motoring is trying to be a thing politically. "I demand my right to drive a polluting car on the grounds of liberty!" But we have removed your right to drink and drive. Or not wear a seatbelt. Or use leaded fuel. The push against diesel engines has reduced the percentage of cars sold to less than 10% being diesel. It will soon be zero as manufacturers withdraw them from sale as not being economical.

How we adequately compensate the few people caught on the fringe of this change is the issue, not the change itself. And if you drive a 10 year old diesel on a 4 mile daily commute in London you're going to want to change the car anyway. It will break.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

I still opposed it [not when introduced, far too young for that, but when I found out about it] and was glad it was repealed.

I oppose picking on minorities not because its against the law, but because its generally the wrong thing to do.

Now saying that you want to do something because its the right thing to do, despite harming a minority, then that is reasonable. Saying that something is right, because it only harms a minority, that is not.
    Do you think ULEZ non-compliant car ownership should be a protected characteristic?
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

Do you think ULEZ non-compliant car ownership should be a protected characteristic?
    No.

Do you think minorities without protected characteristics should be fair game for abuse?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,181

Ghedebrav said:

Agreed. Every week, we see crackpot conspiracy theories repeated by some regular posters here. These sorts of beliefs get everywhere.
    I think we tend to underestimate the value of the gatekeeper function that the media performed in pre social media days. Of course the media have had some terrible biases and printed some crap in their time, but nothing on the scale of the garbage and lunacy peddled by social media. I think that younger generations are a bit more savvy about what they read online than older people, who are more trusting having been raised in an old media world, but I'm not super confident that this problem won't continue to get worse.
    The interesting question as ever is who is spreading this stuff? There do seem to be well-financed misinformation campaigns at work (eg around ULEZ) that someone is paying for. It is plausible that enemies of Western liberal democracy are poisoning the well of informed rational debate that allows it to function. Or is that a conspiracy theory in itself?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

Do you think minorities without protected characteristics should be fair game for abuse?
    A person driving a 10 year old diesel in London is not a "minority" the way you are trying to position it. The S28 comparison is a long way from sanity.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

Absolutely not. That's why I'm so concerned for the thousands of people hurt by air pollution each year - equivalent to between 28,000 and 36,000 deaths every year in the UK.

A breach of Article 2 & 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

• Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited August 2023

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

A person driving a 10 year old diesel in London is not a "minority" the way you are trying to position it. The S28 comparison is a long way from sanity.
    A person who needs to drive but drives an old vehicle and can't afford to replace their vehicle absolutely is a minority in London.

Taxing them and encouraging a replacement in their vehicle may be the right thing to do, I've said that all along, but simply because they're a minority doesn't make it right. If its right, it'd still be right, even if they were a majority. And if its wrong, its still wrong, even if they're a minority.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

I agree with this on the main topic but I don't think it's fair to say carbon capture is just a fossil fuel subsidy. It's presumably not cost-effective at the current scale, but this was previously true of wind and solar electric cars and all the other tech that's now growing insanely fast. It'll be a great help if we can do it, once we get away from like 80% or 90% of fossil fuel use the last uses are pretty hard and might be easier just to cancel out. It's also not clear that we can get every country to decarbonize since some countries are run by psychopaths, and it might be cheaper to just cancel out their emissions instead of bribing or invading them.
    I don't have a problem with the principle of CO2 capture.
    I just think the particular large scale plans the government are advancing are a waste of money.
    Far more cost effective to use those resources (for example) on keeping up the investment in offshore wind power (which inflation and interest rate increases have stalled).
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

A person who needs to drive but drives an old vehicle and can't afford to replace their vehicle absolutely is a minority in London.

Taxing them and encouraging a replacement in their vehicle may be the right thing to do, I've said that all along, but simply because they're a minority doesn't make it right. If its right, it'd still be right, even if they were a majority. And if its wrong, its still wrong, even if they're a minority.
    You compared diesel drivers to gay people being persecuted by the state. As you say, "its wrong".

There is more cash being made available for transitioning vehicles for the few who are involved. And again again, these cars are wholly unsuitable mechanically for the "daily driver" doing an average short commute in London. Diesels are not designed for repeated short trips - they break.

So a car a decade old or more being driven on trips that will progressively wreck the engine. People will need to change their cars anyway. How did people who can't afford to replace their vehicles do so when they got old and knackered before ULEZ? You talk like this is something new and dangerous.
  • Options
    And if course it is the oil companies who are getting a large amount of the CO2 capture subsidy.
  • Options
    Someone reads PB

Apparently the government is increasing the fines for employers of undocumented workers to £60,000. Per worker.

See Telegraph
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

I just think the particular large scale plans the government are advancing are a waste of money.
    Far more cost effective to use those resources (for example) on keeping up the investment in offshore wind power (which inflation and interest rate increases have stalled).
    A significant problem is that governments and political fashions change on far too short a cycle. Industry can't safely invest in the UK because people keep electing wazzocks who either do nothing for 13 years or actively row backwards - wind projects being a great example.

We should be a leading designer and manufacturer of renewable energy generating equipment. We make blades for some turbines, but import the rest. Why? Because we made the environment a political football and investment on the long term scale needed is massively risky.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

Absolutely not. That's why I'm so concerned for the thousands of people hurt by air pollution each year - equivalent to between 28,000 and 36,000 deaths every year in the UK.

A breach of Article 2 & 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

You're right for once, despite millions driving, only thousands are hurt by air pollution. Air standards are thankfully very good in this country and thankfully only a minority of areas is where its problematic.

Having solutions for that minority isn't a problem in my view, if its done fair and reasonably and only for them. On a national level iterating better and higher standards for new vehicles is typically better to iterate higher standards nationwide.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Miklosvar said:

It also has the perverse effect of increasing the cost to our economy of burning fossil fuels - without affecting the market price.

So in that respect, quite literally a fossil fuel subsidy.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,853

Its amazing that as we experience yet another year of significant climate change being visible and directly destructive that we have to debate this thing. It exists, it's here, denial is like denying the Earth is round.

The world is in transition away from the petrodollar economy to the sustainable economy - that is also self-evident. The response to supply shocks is to accelerate the technologies which make us less reliant on the energy which had the shock.

I know that some people have a libertarian streak and that is their choice. But personal freedom isn't universal. When rights trample on others they are not rights. And society collectively has the right to impose rules and standards on how we behave.

Motoring is trying to be a thing politically. "I demand my right to drive a polluting car on the grounds of liberty!" But we have removed your right to drink and drive. Or not wear a seatbelt. Or use leaded fuel. The push against diesel engines has reduced the percentage of cars sold to less than 10% being diesel. It will soon be zero as manufacturers withdraw them from sale as not being economical.

How we adequately compensate the few people caught on the fringe of this change is the issue, not the change itself. And if you drive a 10 year old diesel on a 4 mile daily commute in London you're going to want to change the car anyway. It will break.

Some genuine questions, some of which I ought to know the answer to better than I do:

1. How many of the drivers of non ULEZ compliant diesels have claimed privately, or would have a claim privately, to court compensation over their purchase of that car? Does that apply to second hand drivers?

2. How many bought those vehicles in outer London after the rules came in in inner London?

3. How often do those who drive old cars typically replace them? If, on the petrol side particularly, these are people buying old cars every 2-3 years to run them to scrap, ULEZ replacement may fall into their natural car buying cycle. (btw, my previous car was bought new and owned for 16 years, so I'm not pre-supposing an answer that argues for ULEZ).

Be interesting to know what the (government?) research said that underpinned ULEZ and whether it looked into such factors in assessing likely impacts.
  • Options
    It is AUTUMN this morning, speaking of climate. Mist in the valleys, heavy dew to the west of hedges, full sized red apples on the trees. Lovely.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,820
    edited August 2023

Ghedebrav said:

I think we tend to underestimate the value of the gatekeeper function that the media performed in pre social media days. Of course the media have had some terrible biases and printed some crap in their time, but nothing on the scale of the garbage and lunacy peddled by social media. I think that younger generations are a bit more savvy about what they read online than older people, who are more trusting having been raised in an old media world, but I'm not super confident that this problem won't continue to get worse.
    The interesting question as ever is who is spreading this stuff? There do seem to be well-financed misinformation campaigns at work (eg around ULEZ) that someone is paying for. It is plausible that enemies of Western liberal democracy are poisoning the well of informed rational debate that allows it to function. Or is that a conspiracy theory in itself?
    It would be useful to know whether general population belief in conspiracy theories is greater now than pre-internet, or whether we’re just seeing more of what was always there because social media shoves it in our faces.

I went looking for some long term tracking surveys. There’s one prominent study from last year across both American and European populations suggesting no increase in conspiracy thinking over the last 50 years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9299316/

History certainly provides plenty of cases of mass delusion, perhaps greater than we see now. Interesting paper here:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1750698017701615

Yes there’s plenty of readily available conspiracy material online now for people to get into, but there’s also plenty of scientific debunking online too. If I’m seeing the nutty stuff, I assume the believers are seeing the non-nutty stuff too.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

I think there were always people who believed stupid crap/conspiracy theories. The antivaxx movement has been going as long as vaccines, for example. And in earlier times, media, like newspapers, spread this nonsense (as with anti-Catholic propaganda in the early US). But social media has made the spread of those views easier.

So, sure, there are deliberate misinformation campaigns, but they’re only part of the problem.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    The two should be honoured for their principle.

At least two people said to have declined resignation honours from Liz Truss
    Ex-prime minister seeking to hand out peerages and other honours but one person reportedly felt too ‘humiliated’ to accept anything
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/06/at-least-two-people-said-to-have-declined-resignation-honours-from-liz-truss
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

You compared diesel drivers to gay people being persecuted by the state. As you say, "its wrong".

There is more cash being made available for transitioning vehicles for the few who are involved. And again again, these cars are wholly unsuitable mechanically for the "daily driver" doing an average short commute in London. Diesels are not designed for repeated short trips - they break.

So a car a decade old or more being driven on trips that will progressively wreck the engine. People will need to change their cars anyway. How did people who can't afford to replace their vehicles do so when they got old and knackered before ULEZ? You talk like this is something new and dangerous.
    Actually it's post 2009 diesels that'll break including ULEZ compliant ones if you only run them for short journeys ! Pre 09 diesels have no DPF - though of course you do want to give them a long run once in a while.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

It is AUTUMN this morning, speaking of climate. Mist in the valleys, heavy dew to the west of hedges, full sized red apples on the trees. Lovely.

This is late summer ! We've not hit the equinox or September yet.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

No I didn't. Improve your reading comprehension.

I compared an attitude displayed by @strawbrick saying essentially "so what, its only a minority affected" with other times minorities have been picked on by the state.

Picking on minorities because they're minorities is not normally reasonable.

If ULEZ is right because its the right thing to do then that is reasonable. If the only defence for it is "it only harms a minority" then that is not a defence. Harming minorities because they're minorities is not OK. Harming them because its the right thing to do is a different matter.

Over time people with old vehicles will replace their vehicles, yes. Which is why targeting new vehicles with higher standards is normally the right thing to do.

However a person who can only afford an old vehicle won't generally replace their old vehicle with a new one. They will typically replace it with another old, just somewhat less-old option as others sell off their vehicle to get a new one.

An 8 year old car in good working order is not something that is broken down and needs replacing yet.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Some genuine questions, some of which I ought to know the answer to better than I do:

1. How many of the drivers of non ULEZ compliant diesels have claimed privately, or would have a claim privately, to court compensation over their purchase of that car? Does that apply to second hand drivers?

2. How many bought those vehicles in outer London after the rules came in in inner London?

3. How often do those who drive old cars typically replace them? If, on the petrol side particularly, these are people buying old cars every 2-3 years to run them to scrap, ULEZ replacement may fall into their natural car buying cycle. (btw, my previous car was bought new and owned for 16 years, so I'm not pre-supposing an answer that argues for ULEZ).

Be interesting to know what the (government?) research said that underpinned ULEZ and whether it looked into such factors in assessing likely impacts.
    As to 1. I am baffled by the ambulance chasing claims arising out of VW fudging the emissions figures, because the only heads of damage seem to be a questionable 0.0001% reduction in fuel efficiency, and a really bad feeling about all the babies you were unwittingly poisoning by driving a car less compliant than you thought it was. none of this has come to court yet and I hope the lawyers involved are invited to fuck off. But yes, I can see the makings of a mis-selling claim if the manufacturers had inside info about ULEZ plans.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Ex-prime minister seeking to hand out peerages and other honours but one person reportedly felt too ‘humiliated’ to accept anything
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/06/at-least-two-people-said-to-have-declined-resignation-honours-from-liz-truss

If you are a grifter then the bauble outlasts the outcry. And if the people decrying the bauble are people who's opinion you do not respect then what does it matter?

So yes, the people saying no are truly above the grifter spivocracy that has infested the Conservative Party. Did we hear of Boris! nominees turning him down for similar reasons?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

I compared an attitude displayed by @strawbrick saying essentially "so what, its only a minority affected" with other times minorities have been picked on by the state.

If ULEZ is right because its the right thing to do then that is reasonable. If the only defence for it is "it only harms a minority" then that is not a defence. Harming minorities because they're minorities is not OK. Harming them because its the right thing to do is a different matter.

Over time people with old vehicles will replace their vehicles, yes. Which is why targeting new vehicles with higher standards is normally the right thing to do.

However a person who can only afford an old vehicle won't generally replace their old vehicle with a new one. They will typically replace it with another old, just somewhat less-old option as others sell off their vehicle to get a new one.

An 8 year old car in good working order is not something that is broken down and needs replacing yet.
    Many policies are going to help some and harm others. Does the number of people helped and the number of people harmed matter?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Miklosvar said:

You been outside yet this morning? Autumn is a feel, not a calendar thing.

Nights notably drawing in, too.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,959

Nigelb said:

If you are a grifter then the bauble outlasts the outcry. And if the people decrying the bauble are people who's opinion you do not respect then what does it matter?

So yes, the people saying no are truly above the grifter spivocracy that has infested the Conservative Party. Did we hear of Boris! nominees turning him down for similar reasons?
    Trying to get my head around the idea that people ought to be honoured for refusing honours ... doesn't say much for the honours system, does it?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

Many policies are going to help some and harm others. Does the number of people helped and the number of people harmed matter?
    No, of course not.

How and why people are helped and harmed matters, not the number of people affected.

Indeed most times the state gets involved its by harming more people not very much each, in order to help fewer people more.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

I think there were always people who believed stupid crap/conspiracy theories. The antivaxx movement has been going as long as vaccines, for example. And in earlier times, media, like newspapers, spread this nonsense (as with anti-Catholic propaganda in the early US). But social media has made the spread of those views easier.

So, sure, there are deliberate misinformation campaigns, but they’re only part of the problem.
    There's also a pyramid scheme element to it.
    Those towards the top, who get enough followers (like RFK Jr.), can make a very good living off of it.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 950

You do talk a lot of nonsense sometimes - this is a prime example:

And if you drive a 10 year old diesel on a 4 mile daily commute in London you're going to want to change the car anyway. It will break.

Unless London has a special magical effect on diesel reliability in some way, this statement is complete nonsense. I currently run a 14 year old diesel car, on a 50 mile commute plus quite a bit of other mileage (Google says I did 2309 miles in July, that's not unusual), and it's a model of reliability. Just because your snobby Tesla has been value engineered to go pop at about 10 years old doesn't mean that applies to everything else.
    Incidentally, the current fuel cost per mile of running my diesel (10-11p/mile) is comparable to the cost of charging your electric car at home, and a fraction of the cost of running an electric car on public chargers. And I've no real depreciation costs as my diesel cost me less than £1k on the road. If your Tesla with a probable life (you seem to think) of ten years cost you £50k new, that's £13.69 every single day of it's life just in depreciation. If I lived in the utter dump that is London, it would actually be cheaper to keep the diesel and pay the ULEZ charge. Which does show that ULEZ is a tax on the poor and/or prudent as even if I was to do as they want and buy a Tesla I'd actually be worse off.

So the problem is solved anyway as manufacturers are stopping selling diesel cars (although the Euro 6 stuff is generally cleaner than the equivalent petrol, and miles better on Co2). All that ULEZ type scheme do is accelerate this process by 5 years or so, by very unfairly dumping the entire cost onto a modest subset of drivers.

Of course, those of us with brains realize that it's important to stop the sort of thing now even though it doesn't affect us, because "if you tolerate this, your children will be next" - if we let them get away with ULEZ now, it will be ZEZs imposed in city centres before we know it, and ULEZ's covering the whole country.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    On that poll then Conservative voters think climate change is real but less of a threat than Labour or LD voters do.

It is therefore not surprising Sunak is shifting to oppose ULEZ and LTN schemes, allow more new oil and gas licenses and maybe even consider extending the date at which petrol cars will be banned from 2030 while still keeping a longer term net zero target
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Trying to get my head around the idea that people ought to be honoured for refusing honours ... doesn't say much for the honours system, does it?
    The entire system is a grotesque anachronism. The UK is broken on so many levels - constitutionally, politically, economically. Yet we are trapped in the death grip of an establishment which likes to offer us continuity regardless of party, with an occasional KNOW YOUR LIMITS! shock to the system where we get offered Jezbollah vs Liar.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

The TfL website states:

No.

Speed limits "harm" millions of people each year, and save only a few thousand lives.

BR's concern for "minorities" suddenly dissipates.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

That's indeed the point.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    Miklosvar said:

Pulpstar said:

Miklosvar said:

You been outside yet this morning? Autumn is a feel, not a calendar thing.

Nights notably drawing in, too.
    Summer still very much here in West Cornwall. Swimming in the sea yesterday, sans wetsuit. Bracing, but enjoyable. This was last night:

• Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Another point to consider.

Below a set number for emissions, a car is completely exempt from ULEZ. Above it, full wack.

So a car which is at 99% of the levels is fine. One that is at 101% gets the full tax.

All car models nave their emissions (theoretical) assessed. It would be perfectly possible to come up with a pollution tax based on how much CO2, Nitrogen oxides, Sulphur oxides, particulates etc your vehicle emits.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

On that poll then Conservative voters think climate change is real but less of a threat than Labour or LD voters do.

It is therefore not surprising Sunak is shifting to oppose ULEZ and LTN schemes, allow more new oil and gas licenses and maybe even consider extending the date at which petrol cars will be banned from 2030 while still keeping a longer term net zero target

Not a surprise if the Sunak's objective is to secure the turnout of the Tory core vote.

It isn't a winning strategy. Particularly if the RSPB membership shift to the Lib Dems.

(They are just banning new ICE cars, not existing ones).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Get back to me when we know what was turned down, it'll be MBEs and similar rubbish. Not Ks and peerages.
This discussion has been closed.