Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Silence is not golden – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,544

Good Lord, I've just watched Damian Lewis singing the national anthem at Silverstone.

Oh, that's good that you say that. I saw that a few hours ago and assumed I was having some sort of breakdown.
    For anyone who hasn't heard it.

https://twitter.com/CalvLyfeson/status/1678083011642785792
    Fuc
    Knh
    Ell

And a saxophone!
    As a free speech advocate, I think this calls for 20 years in the Chateaux d’if without trial.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick question, I'm going to be abroad for the 4th and 5th Test. Guessing my NowTV subscription won't work overseas without using a VPN?

And if so, can anyone recommend any VPNs? Preferably free.

Pay up for NordVPN.
    Yes @BartholomewRoberts NowTV won't work abroad

I have used ExpressVPN successfully for cricket/sport/drama all over the globe, tho the broadcasters are trying to fight back and thwart them, so you cannot entirely rely on it
    Our Now TV has stopped working because it thinks we are using a VPN even though we aren't! Something funny going on with our Internet provider.
    TV broadcasters in general have gotten better at clamping down on VPNs and illegal streaming
    Gotten? Let's not use Americanisms please.
    in this smooth discourse,
    You told not how Henry the Sixth hath lost
    All that which Henry Fifth had gotten?

William Shakespeare, 1590.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick question, I'm going to be abroad for the 4th and 5th Test. Guessing my NowTV subscription won't work overseas without using a VPN?

Pay up for NordVPN.

I have used ExpressVPN successfully for cricket/sport/drama all over the globe, tho the broadcasters are trying to fight back and thwart them, so you cannot entirely rely on it
    Our Now TV has stopped working because it thinks we are using a VPN even though we aren't! Something funny going on with our Internet provider.
    TV broadcasters in general have gotten better at clamping down on VPNs and illegal streaming
    Leon's gotten no chance to defend his solecism now.
  • Options

OT ITV now A Spy Among Friends about Kim Philby is brilliant imo.

Thanks - we're recording* it.

(*For the youngsters among you that's a bit like streaming on demand but we'll be able fast forward through the ads.)
    Youngsters? On here?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,886
    Farooq said:

(*For the youngsters among you that's a bit like streaming on demand but we'll be able fast forward through the ads.)
    Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    Christ alive. The worst thing is, you're probably right.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Omnium said:

Thanks @Cyclefree for yet another well-written header. I confess, however, that this whole subject leaves me stone cold.

I have sympathy for trans people who have been treated very badly by society in the past. I have sympathy for women who fear that there are men who would pretend to be trans to perpetrate further offences agains women. I have sympathy for children who are wrongly persuaded they need to change gender and I have sympathy for children who feel trapped in the wrong gender.

For all those people I can see that this is a very important topic, but for the country as a whole, not so much.

I have known two people who transitioned, one through work another socially. Both transitioned to women. For both it was clearly an extremely difficult and brave path to follow. Beyond that, I have no knowledge. It's not a debate I can join in. So forgive me if I post comments on other topics as they get discussed in the thread.

British society has always treated the 'odd' quite well. An imperfect scheme, but not to be ignored.
    I do miss the (admittedly imperfect) 1990s dictum of live and let live, replaced by the ideological bigotry of the Twitter extremes.

Quite why trans issues have become suddenly so highly charged despite - as far as I can tell - the numbers involved remaining tiny is, I think, both a mystery and perhaps not a mystery. The bloody internet amplifies both the trans rights extremists and the noisy worriers, at the expense of the live and let livers.
    It’s a collision of absolute rights for two protected groups.

To a number of “progressive” people, there can be no compromise on rights. This means that someone has to lose. Hence pick your side and pick your weapons.

Newton Emerson should do a podcast on this.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    And our lunar lagomorph Moonrabbit, too, and quite separately, I suspect.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    Unverified, that one..
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Pay up for NordVPN.

But gotten is a word from Middle English times.
    Bring back ygot, that's what I say.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,500
    Second girl, 8, dies after Wimbledon school car crash
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66150234

RIP, Nuria.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,576
    CatMan said:

Bloody hell, Leon is banned! Please don't tell me he named the person :disappointed:

Some posts have disappeared.

It’s like there has been a “Passover” and we’ve been spared 🫢

I’d better check my elder brother is okay.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    At least we won't have to hear about how Leon watched the greatest test innings ever...on repeated...anymore.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,059
    ohnotnow said:

FPT :

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pay up for NordVPN.
    Or roll your own for free on Amazon AWS, but that is a fair amount of hassle.
    https://github.com/trailofbits/algo Algo takes quite a lot of the hassle away. Though these days I just use Mullvad. We still use Algo for a tunnel into $work though.
    Where's the fun in that?
  • Options

Good Lord, I've just watched Damian Lewis singing the national anthem at Silverstone.

Oh, that's good that you say that. I saw that a few hours ago and assumed I was having some sort of breakdown.

Fuc
    Knh
    Ell

And a saxophone!
    As a free speech advocate, I think this calls for 20 years in the Chateaux d’if without trial.
    Too high a risk of meeting a wealthy and clever Abbe who will help him escape to fortune and revenge. No, I think a visit to Place de la Concorde to closely inspect the cobblestones is more in order.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846

I know this is probably a stupid post but I'll try it anyway and see whether any replies ripping it to shreds instantly prove to me beyond reasonable doubt *why* it is stupid.

If (hypothetically) you change most gender-based rights to become entirely sex-based rights instead, but simultaneously make gender recognition/change easier, can you protect biological women's rights whilst also allowing for what seems like entirely reasonable potential for people to choose the gender that best fits them?

e.g. evil trans rapist still has to go to men's prison because sex = male even if self-identifying as female whilst at the same time we are not stopping people who reasonably wish to identify as their preferred gender from quietly living out the lives they are entitled to?

Given that most trans people aren't rapists, it seems reasonable to say we need to find some middle path that clearly protects biological women without demonising everyone who wants to identify differently, regardless of exactly how far they take that transition.

It is simple you accept those that self identify but it doesnt mean they need to go into a biological womens general population (unless post op) you have a seperate prision or wing for transgenders
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,958
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Jeez Cyclefree at it again on trans issues.

Move on. Britain is.

I think Foxjr2 was at Transpride yesterday with his flatmate who is mtf trans, and a friend since they were in beavers together.

People wanting to support Trans people at a time when transphobia is epidemic, and at least tacitly supported by the government should still be happy and willing to condemn incitement to violence.

Liberating one group should never require oppressing another one.
    Beaver scouts one hopes?
    I was expelled from the Beavers for dishing out a whisky miniature. No idea why my parents thought it was a good idea to give me a whisky miniature keyring fob other than it possibly kept me away from the abundant heroin washing about at the time.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,781
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Move on. Britain is.

I think Foxjr2 was at Transpride yesterday with his flatmate who is mtf trans, and a friend since they were in beavers together.

People wanting to support Trans people at a time when transphobia is epidemic, and at least tacitly supported by the government should still be happy and willing to condemn incitement to violence.

Beaver scouts one hopes?
    Yes, known her since she was young.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,851

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Pay up for NordVPN.

I know, but it fell out of use for a long time.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Move on. Britain is.

Beaver scouts one hopes?
    I was expelled from the Beavers for dishing out a whisky miniature. No idea why my parents thought it was a good idea to give me a whisky miniature keyring fob other than it possibly kept me away from the abundant heroin washing about at the time.
    Really, they shouldn't even have let you go to Beavers if there was a lot of heroin being abused there.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,263

Farooq said:

CatMan said:

Please don't tell me Leon named the person :disappointed:

Lord knows. He keeps getting himself in bother like this. I don't know why they keep letting him back.
    It's easier to keep track of him as Leon; when he used to keep coming back with a new ID, life got very confusing.
    Well to a point. His, er, style of posting is distinctive, and so is easier to spot than a poor Russian bot conscript given the shitty pb shift on Saturday mornings…
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    CatMan said:

Bloody hell, Leon is banned! Please don't tell me he named the person :disappointed:

Mods: please don’t let him back until the Ashes are finished.🙏
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Move on. Britain is.

Beaver scouts one hopes?
    Really, they shouldn't even have let you go to Beavers if there was a lot of heroin being abused there.
    Sounds a bit wilder than Foxjr2 at beavers. Hot dogs was as high risk as it got...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Pay up for NordVPN.

Not really
    British English usage over time:
    https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=gotten&year_start=1500&year_end=2019&corpus=en-GB-2019&smoothing=50
    American English usage for comparison:
    https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=gotten&year_start=1500&year_end=2019&corpus=en-US-2019&smoothing=50
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,263

At least we won't have to hear about how Leon watched the greatest test innings ever...on repeated...anymore.

Next match is 10 days away. He’ll likely be back.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600

I watched it on ITVX and found it disappointing. It introduced a fictional character. It was based on a Ben McIntyre book and his books are well researched non-fiction.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Move on. Britain is.

Beaver scouts one hopes?
    Sounds a bit wilder than Foxjr2 at beavers. Hot dogs was as high risk as it got...
    Given what we are hearing these days about ultra-processed foods that probably was quite risky.
  • Options
    Hurkacz fails to take advantage of 3 set points versus Djokovic in the first set tie-breaker. Djokovic wins the set.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/65584743
  • Options

CatMan said:

Mods: please don’t let him back until the Ashes are finished.🙏
    Not just this year's Ashes.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,561
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Pay up for NordVPN.

So stop being such a nasty authoritarian on what words people can and cannot use.

The English language evolves and the language of Shakespeare needs no protection.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Hurkacz just made a right dogs mess of the tiebreak against Djokovic. 3 sets points and couldn't take one of them.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    Are there no organisations prepared to stand up to Stonewall and Mermaids, or at least try and explain to them that their actions are inimical to Trans people?
  • Options
    A

Foxy said:

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Move on. Britain is.

Beaver scouts one hopes?
    Given what we are hearing these days about ultra-processed foods that probably was quite risky.
    As opposed to Vegan Pesticide Free Organic Duchy Original smack.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,839
    edited July 2023

Fuc
    Knh
    Ell

And a saxophone!
    I think the main issue there was the Red Arrows mistiming their fly past by around 30 seconds.

On topic: Thanks for this Cyclefree, I also agree Farooq's and Northern_Al's point to more directly engage with Sadiq Khan's office about this, if you haven't already.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Pay up for NordVPN.

Much like when pointing out another's misspellings someone is likely to make one themselves, or when declaring some arbitrary grammatical rule probably based on Latin has been violated that it is likely not to accord with historical English usage, it is almost certain when complaining about an americanism that a) it is not an americanism, or b) they use other americanisms without realising it.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

CatMan said:

They think it's all over.

It is now!

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Pay up for NordVPN.

So now your complaint is not that it is an americanism, because it isn't, but that it is archaic?

Why did you not say that initially then?

And do you not often complain about people doing new things rather than sticking with what works? Should you not celebrate the returning use of an historic English word?
  • Options

Hurkacz just made a right dogs mess of the tiebreak against Djokovic. 3 sets points and couldn't take one of them.

After that I'd be amazed if he manages to win any sets.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,983
    edited July 2023
    MattW said:

Evening all.

@Cyclefree - thank-you the header.

Catching up with the local news, as medical treatment winds down for a week or two, and apologies if this one has been done.

Ashfield may become a two-way rather than three-way competition for the next General Election, since Jason Zadrozny (Council Leader) has been charged with a whole suite of offences around fraud and tax evasion (going back to 2007) plus a possession of Class A drugs charge, and Tom Hollis (former Deputy Council Leader) has also been charged with offences around failing to declare a pecuniary interest.

It is an active investigation, so I'll just provide a link.
    https://nottstv.com/ashfield-district-council-leader-jason-zadrozny-faces-fraud-and-drug-charges/

(At the last County election this spring, Hollis lost half his vote from approx 40% to under 20% but just beat Labour, and Zadrozny increased his from approx 50% to 63%.)

Interesting that Hollis has already been in court (and found guilty) for two seperate charges (harassment and careless driving) in the last year but still stayed on as a cabinet member.
  • Options

CatMan said:

It is now!

well till the next identity
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Fuc
    Knh
    Ell

And a saxophone!
    In think the main issue there was the Red Arrows mistiming their fly past by around 30 seconds.
    Mach 0.8 / smouldering crater / posthumous Outstanding Airman of the Year ribbon
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    And Gallowgate.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

CatMan said:

It is now!

Leon has lasted a long time!
  • Options

Are there no organisations prepared to stand up to Stonewall and Mermaids, or at least try and explain to them that their actions are inimical to Trans people?

Surely that's for trans people to decide?
  • Options
    I haven't done a statistical analysis but it feels like tennis is more dominated by eastern and south-eastern European players than ever before.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Pay up for NordVPN.

In England. But not in the USA.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Yes but mermaids and stonewalls agenda does not just affect trans people it also affects biological women.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,380
    Andy_JS said:

I haven't done a statistical analysis but it feels like tennis is more dominated by eastern and south-eastern European players than ever before.

I haven't either, but a caption came up during one of the ladies' matches today that this year's Wimbledon has 19 US ladies and 11 Czech ladies competing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

CatMan said:

It is now!

Why did he get smote by the Good Lord OGH?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I haven't done a statistical analysis but ${every_pb_post_ever}

^ in the more general form
  • Options

kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

CatMan said:

It is now!

Why did he get smote by the Good Lord OGH?
    Ours is not to question His ways.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Andy_JS said:

I haven't either, but a caption came up during one of the ladies' matches today that this year's Wimbledon has 19 US ladies and 11 Czech ladies competing.
    Five go-hold rings...
  • Options
    Regrettable that Azarenka was booed off the court earlier. They just showed it on BBC Red Button.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Yes but mermaids and stonewalls agenda does not just affect trans people it also affects biological women.
    That wasn't my point.
    The poster asserted that those organisations are inimical to trans rights.
    Only trans people can judge whether they are or are not.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    And Gallowgate.
    Lucky Guy. Incredibly. Is one of our younger posters. Casino Royale is on the younger side too.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    George Bernard Shaw used "gotten" IIRC but he was Irish originally.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,576
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    Unverified, that one..
    I’ve already met 1 PBer in town (who I won’t identity) so that verifies everything.

You need to explain how someone supposedly north of the border has avatar for obscure English village football team!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

He's gotten a Nobel Prize and an Oscar. So I'll go with him.
  • Options

Not that uncommon an occurrence to lose 3 points in a row. Assuming evenly matched opponents it will happen once per every 8 sequences of 3 points; give the server a bit of an advantage and it will still happen 10% of the time. Tsitsipas managed the same feat against Murray, and still came out ahead.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    And Gallowgate.
    Lucky Guy. Incredibly. Is one of our younger posters. Casino Royale is on the younger side too.
    Presumably born in 1983? So 40ish? The youngest Neolib in the world!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.
    That is a ridiculous comment. You do not have to be a member of a group to be able to observe and understand organisations that might be detrimental to their cause. Indeed it is often the case that those most closely/directly involved are the very people who are unable to judge what might be doing them good or harm within wider society.

An obvious example. Trump and his message are very bad for the lower middle classes of the USA - the very people he claims to be representing. And yet, whilst most external observers can see he is just using them and is very bad for their cause, that section of US society is the one most likely to support him because they believe he is acting in their best interests.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Except, they don't necessarily like to be weaponised. Why would they?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082

I know this is probably a stupid post but I'll try it anyway and see whether any replies ripping it to shreds instantly prove to me beyond reasonable doubt *why* it is stupid.

If (hypothetically) you change most gender-based rights to become entirely sex-based rights instead, but simultaneously make gender recognition/change easier, can you protect biological women's rights whilst also allowing for what seems like entirely reasonable potential for people to choose the gender that best fits them?

e.g. evil trans rapist still has to go to men's prison because sex = male even if self-identifying as female whilst at the same time we are not stopping people who reasonably wish to identify as their preferred gender from quietly living out the lives they are entitled to?

Given that most trans people aren't rapists, it seems reasonable to say we need to find some middle path that clearly protects biological women without demonising everyone who wants to identify differently, regardless of exactly how far they take that transition.

The argument is that in insisting they go to a male prison you are treating them as different to other women so you are not respecting their choice

• Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    Andy_JS said:

Shaw was a bit odd, though. He wrote "shew" instead of "show". Wanted spelling reform.
    I'm not convinced "gotten" doesn't ever appear in proper native BrEng. "He's gotten over it now."
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.
    You are quite right. Also, as a goy, I am strictly neutral as to whether the shoah was inimical to jews. Who am I to judge?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Move on. Britain is.

Beaver scouts one hopes?
    In Leicestershire in the 1990s? You are probably quite right, given the CJD cluster in a village there. Though crossing the road on the way to the scout hall was probably riskier overall.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.
    That is a ridiculous comment. You do not have to be a member of a group to be able to observe and understand organisations that might be detrimental to their cause. Indeed it is often the case that those most closely/directly involved are the very people who are unable to judge what might be doing them good or harm within wider society.

An obvious example. Trump and his message are very bad for the lower middle classes of the USA - the very people he claims to be representing. And yet, whilst most external observers can see he is just using them and is very bad for their cause, that section of US society is the one most likely to support him because they believe he is acting in their best interests.
    Yes but.
    An outsider telling them that they are wrong. And implying that we have your best interests at heart cos you're too thick to realise it has limited utility.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Miklosvar said:

dixiedean said:

It takes two to weaponise?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997

The argument is that in insisting they go to a male prison you are treating them as different to other women so you are not respecting their choice

a) they are different from other women - they are men
    b) you do not have to respect their choice.
  • Options
    Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Shaw was a bit odd, though. He wrote "shew" instead of "show". Wanted spelling reform.
    I'm not convinced "gotten" doesn't ever appear in proper native BrEng. "He's gotten over it now."
    He did point out that ghoti is pronounced fish, mind you (gh as in cough, o as in women, ti as in ignition).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    And Gallowgate.
    I'm 47 does that count as young? Old?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Miklosvar said:

dixiedean said:

You are not waving here, you are drowning. Just leave it.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Not that uncommon an occurrence to lose 3 points in a row. Assuming evenly matched opponents it will happen once per every 8 sequences of 3 points; give the server a bit of an advantage and it will still happen 10% of the time. Tsitsipas managed the same feat against Murray, and still came out ahead.
    It was the manner in which he lost the points. In one particular point he had a very easy forehand to the open court, all he had to do was place it somewhere towards to corner and it would have been a winner. Instead he mishit it into the net.
  • Options
    Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

I'd vote for spelling reform to make ritten Inglish completely fonetik.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    And Gallowgate.
    Yes
  • Options

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Ide vote for spelling reeform too make ritten Inglish compleetlee fonetick.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.

Yes but.
    An outsider telling them that has limited utility.
    The alternative being to let them continue to be used and misled by organsations that are actively damaging their cause?

Of course I am not the one who should be doing the telling. But the question posed by Fairliered was whether or not there are organisations that can do this and would be taken seriously?
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

dixiedean said:

Who's weaponising?
    Miklosvar said:

dixiedean said:

Miklosvar said:

dixiedean said:

You are not waving here, you are drowning. Just leave it.
    That's funny.
    Still waiting for a counter argument from you.
    Richard Tyndall has done me the courtesy of one.
    So. I'll airily dismiss your airy dismissal.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Youngsters? On here?
    HYUFD.
    And Gallowgate.
    47 on the outside but 74 on the inside ;)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196
    Andy_JS said:

Regrettable that Azarenka was booed off the court earlier. They just showed it on BBC Red Button.

Yes, the crowd not understanding that Azarenka was respecting Svitolina's request not to shake hands.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Miklosvar said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.
    You are quite right. Also, as a goy, I am strictly neutral as to whether the shoah was inimical to jews. Who am I to judge?
    Non sequitur alert.
    And. To my mind, an extremely offensive one.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

He did point out that ghoti is pronounced fish, mind you (gh as in cough, o as in women, ti as in ignition).
    Yes, he had some wit.
    But the spelling reform stuff is silly. There isn't a problem there to be solved. Better to spend the time and effort on teaching Esperanto.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Ide vote for spelling reeform too make ritten Inglish compleetlee fonetick.
    Id vot for speliŋ reform also to mak riten Iŋlish kompletele fonetik.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,283

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.

Yes but.
    The alternative being to let them continue to be used and misled by organsations that are actively damaging their cause?

Of course I am not the one who should be doing the telling. But the question posed by Fairliered was whether or not there are organisations that can do this and would be taken seriously?
    There are some groups, such as LGB Alliance, who are prepared to stand up against the likes of stonewall and mermaids.

We have already seen them being attacked as a consequence.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Peck said:

Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, he had some wit.
    But the spelling reform stuff is silly. There isn't a problem there to be solved. Better to spend the time and effort on teaching Esperanto.
    Strange that he should on forty fix
    Who did so well with twenty-six.

(Annoyingly, I can't remember who wrote that. I thought it might have been Susan Mitchell but she died before Shaw did.)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.

Yes but.

But you and Fairliered are the ones asserting it is damaging their cause. And "used and misled" is quite emotive language, implying it is deliberate on some level. Misguided may be better.
    I say it is for trans people to decide that.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,500
    edited July 2023
    Peck said:

Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, he had some wit.
    English is now the lingua franca that Eperanto once aspired to be. Spelling reform dies on the rock of accents and pronunciation: if we and Americans cannot agree how to pronounce schedule, who is to say how to spell it?
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Regardless of their gender and sex, there is a duty of care both to the prisoner and to other inmates to prevent interpersonal violence. They should be on a separate unit whichever prison.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited July 2023

Peck said:

Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, he had some wit.
    English is now the lingua franca that Eperanto once aspired to be.
    Which is rather amusing given what 'lingua franca' translates as.
  • Options
    People are getting banned this evening as often as Ben Stokes hits a six in a test match....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

He's gotten a Nobel Prize and an Oscar. So I'll go with him.
    I think we have forgotten how words are begotten.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.

Yes but.

But you and Fairliered are the ones asserting it is damaging their cause. And "used and misled" is quite emotive language, implying it is deliberate on some level. Misguided may be better.
    I say it is for trans people to decide that.
    And as in the example I have given you would be completely wrong. Indeed it is often the people who are being most used and hurt who are unable (or unwilling) to see it.

This is not, as you seek to claim, to say that we are saying that they are stupid or thick. This is a normal human condition and we see it all over the world and all the way down through history from otherwise highly intelligent people. None of us are immune from it. But it doesn't make it any less real.
  • Options

Peck said:

Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes, he had some wit.
    English is now the lingua franca that Eperanto once aspired to be.
    One of the ideas with Esperanto is that it should be nobody's native tongue.

I'm English and recently met a Slovak woman and the only language we had in common was Russian. Rusty in both cases, but it sufficed.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Miklosvar said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

That wasn't my point.
    Non sequitur alert.
    And. To my mind, an extremely offensive one.
    No, it makes perfect and very obvious sense. It offends you only because of the accuracy with which it skewers you.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,410
    Andy_JS said:

I was idly thinking the same thing, shortly after wondering why Gaelic Football and Hurling weren't more popular among the association football supporters who bemoan the loss of the more violent dimension to that game.

Hurling is incredibly violent. I'm sure there's a large audience for that sort of sport if they only knew about it.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,839
    Never mind Kermode, these are my favourite film reviewers:

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/barbie-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc0xmda5otq3

(If this doesn't display, the More Info tab under Content Advice is the good bit, motherf*ers)

(I am sadly unable to direct to the equivalent Vietnamese page)
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,782
    Foxy said:

Regardless of their gender and sex, there is a duty of care both to the prisoner and to other inmates to prevent interpersonal violence. They should be on a separate unit whichever prison.
    Well quite. This may be a weird question, but what do they do with a non-trans woman who rapes another woman and is sent to jail?

(And FFS Moonrabit :unamused: )
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,503

People are getting banned this evening as often as Ben Stokes hits a six in a test match....

The first rule of banhammer: you do not talk about banhammer.
This discussion has been closed.