Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As UKIP surges Ipsos-MORI finds that support for wanting to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,716
edited October 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As UKIP surges Ipsos-MORI finds that support for wanting to stay in the EU is at a 23 year high

As I often say one of the great things about Ipsos-MORI is that it has been carrying out political polls in the UK for 40 years and is has a vast amount of historical data on which we can make comparisons.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Essex Boyz Rule!
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Yes - Ukip are to Brexit what the SNP are to Sindy.

PS Scary Farage doppleganger

Michael Moran ‏@TheMichaelMoran Oct 17
    I feel I may never unsee this
    https://twitter.com/TheMichaelMoran/status/523130350898520064/photo/1
  • Options
    Polling vs PB Kipper anecdote.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

UKIP are as much about certain immigrant communities that are already here as they are about the European Union.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    "the way UKIP is dominating the headlines is having an impact and is polarising opinion"

Could well be - UKIP have all the 36% as potential recruits too, bit like the "45" and the SNP...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465
    We still need a referendum. That is the battleground. The result is moot.

What is Ed's view @_Bobajob_‌ ? Still not trusting the Great British People?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Given a choice between being ruled by Jean-Claude Juncker and Nigel Farage, most of the public opt for the former, faute de mieux. This baffles the Faragistas.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    If you delve into the numbers, there's a separate question on what would your ideal relationship be:

14% back closer European integration
    29% back the status quo
    28% back returning to an economic community without political links
    23% back leaving altogether

Eurosceptic's aim must be to make the third group realise that means leaving. Every single media spot UKIP get must be to say "We will return to an economic relationship, along the lines of the Canada-EU trade agreement or the Korea-EU trade agreement."
  • Options
    taffys said:

UKIP are as much about certain immigrant communities that are already here as they are about the European Union.

Really ? I thought Ukip had lost interest in the EU to be honest.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Agreed - UKIP are focussing minds on the other side but the danger is if the 36% becomes their target score - that'd be enough to break the British system into shreds. The problem is that the 56% Yes doesen't divide helpfully into the other parties - maybe Lab 25%, LDs4% Cons19%, SNP 4% Grn 4%

• Options
    antifrank said:

Given a choice between being ruled by Jean-Claude Juncker and Nigel Farage, most of the public opt for the former, faute de mieux. This baffles the Faragistas.

STICK IT UP YOUR JUNCKER!

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · Jun 27
    Exclusive! The Sunil's front page: Stick it up your #Juncker!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/482688790105194496
  • Options

Polling vs PB Kipper anecdote.

As ever missing the point.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    FPT

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · Oct 12
    #UKIP "first past the post" in aggregate vote across Westminster by-elections in 2014 so far: UKIP 37, Lab 28, Con 26

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/521313156636098560

Are you trying to get a job producing the barcharts for UKIP election leaflets?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    TOPPING said:

Why spend money on a totally needless referendum when we all know that Brits always vote for the status quo.

Use the money to shorten cancer diagnosis times.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Looking at the Sindy aftermath it hasn't settled anything for a generation with the 36% who voted Yes.

Suspect the BOOers wouldn't see it thus either.

Can we get Devo-Max from Europe ?
  • Options
    If we do get a referendum on the EU in the next couple of years, who would lead the In camp and who would lead the Out camp?

Perhaps a passing bookie could think about a market on this.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

If you delve into the numbers, there's a separate question on what would your ideal relationship be:

14% back closer European integration
    29% back the status quo
    28% back returning to an economic community without political links
    23% back leaving altogether

Eurosceptic's aim must be to make the third group realise that means leaving. Every single media spot UKIP get must be to say "We will return to an economic relationship, along the lines of the Canada-EU trade agreement or the Korea-EU trade agreement."

Those figures are killers for the Labour approach and ought to get everyone else behind Cameron's approach. Of course it won't happen.
  • Options

My point is that when Kippers come on here, they complain about Northern Pakistani taxi drivers more than they do Romanian Hop pickers or Polish plumbers.

And yet there is nothing in UKIP's policy mix that would do anything about the former.
  • Options
    How would we all price up an in-out referendum ?

I'd go 2-9 in, 10-3 out if I was a bookie on the matter. Something like that.

And I'd expect the big money to hit the 2-9.

(Note I'm not offering this!)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I fear the score would be somewhat different if that was the actual question asked.
  • Options
    Topping

Monumental waste of time and money
  • Options

I've done them for the LibDems too, JJ!

Obsoiv:

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · Oct 15
    #LibDems' GB by-election %-ages since GE 2010 - 10 lost deposits from 18. Only 3 polls higher than 20% #Clacton

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522402890598858752

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · Oct 15
    #LibDems % change in vote at GB by-elections vs. GE 2010 for each seat. Only Oldham East showed increase... of 0.3%.

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/522529343847673856

Tory and Labour bar charts in the pipeline!

• Options
    taffys said:

My point is that when Kippers come on here, they complain about Northern Pakistani taxi drivers more than they do Romanian Hop pickers or Polish plumbers.

And yet there is nothing in UKIP's policy mix that would do anything about the former.

At a slight tangent, what is UKIP's current policy on gay marriage? I understand that they don't like it, but if they were in a position to do so, would they make it illegal again (and if so, would they be dissolving existing gay marriages also)?
  • Options
    taffys said:

Well we await the manifesto.
  • Options
    taffys said:

They would cap migration overall at 50,000 a year. That would certainly do something about the former.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    FPT:
    Socrates said:
    » show previous quotes
    Agree that that's the likely cause. I think there's a big toxicity about UKIP right now where there are a lot of anti-UKIP agenda items in the press, and electoral rules mean they don't have a big enough media presence to refute that image. Once UKIP surpass the Lib Dems in vote share and get a half dozen seats at the next election, that will hopefully change.

It's also worth bearing in mind this is a poll after Cameron has been in the news about limiting EU migration as his main repatriation. I can imagine these numbers changing if he can't do that effectively.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Also the real reason for UKIPs rise is not Europe or even Immigration, it's about the state of the UK as a land, country and society. Once that is factored in, the rise of UKIP is very explainable.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    The other problem is the 56% YES are half fantasists, they are in favour of remaining in the EU as they would like it to be (a free trade area) not as it is, an emergent superstate. Only 14% want closer integration, which is what they will get by default by staying in the EU.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

taffys said:

At a slight tangent, what is UKIP's current policy on gay marriage? I understand that they don't like it, but if they were in a position to do so, would they make it illegal again (and if so, would they be dissolving existing gay marriages also)?
    No, they wouldn't:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/18/ukip-would-not-overturn-gay-marriages
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Why spend money on a totally needless referendum when we all know that Brits always vote for the status quo.

Oh dear - despite the poll you must be very worried about the result, to pass up all the money to be made on the betting.
  • Options
    Harry

45% votes yes but your general point is sound
  • Options
    Here's an amusing response to the UKIP calypso btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zknTM2j5Log
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes are 4/6 in, 11/10 out for a referendum pre-2018. That, though, mean tying up your money for 3 years in the event of no referendum
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Seriously?

OK d'oh you got me! Sorry I thought you were being serious.

What were the early Indyref preference numbers again?
  • Options

Topping

Monumental waste of time and money

You're right. Elections are quite tiresome and a bore and expensive, aren't they.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well it'd keep this website busy enough, and we could bet on it :)

Also I overheard John Gaunt, he is primed and ready to lead the "Out" campaign - which should be good for a laugh.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ladbrokes are 4/6 in, 11/10 out for a referendum pre-2018. That, though, mean tying up your money for 3 years in the event of no referendum
    If we were going to have a referendum I'd be all over that 4-6.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options

Harry

Of those that voted it was 44.7 % - only 36. something % of those eligible to vote bothered to vote YES.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

And another thing...

But isn't this supposed to be a betting site? And aren't you supposed to be a connoisseur of elections?

I mean this could be your retirement election as in you will make enough money not to need to moderate this site ever again...
  • Options

(Snip)

Are you offering your services to any/all parties?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

If we do get a referendum on the EU in the next couple of years, who would lead the In camp and who would lead the Out camp?

Perhaps a passing bookie could think about a market on this.

Ed Miliband could lead the In camp
    Nigel Farage will lead the Out camp
    Eddie Izzard is just plain camp!

:)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

taffys said:

More importantly would they still blame you for the weather ?
  • Options
    Any news on when Lord Ashcroft's Rochester poll is going to appear?
  • Options
    Classic Kipper thread, this.

Poll comes out saying EU support is at its highest for 20 years. Result: Mike is accused of a) having a Kleenex moment and b) being fearful over the result. The 56% who support remaining in the EU are accused of being "fantasists"

The only fantasists are the europhobes on here who think there is any prospect of us leaving.
  • Options
    On topic, further proof for every voter UKIP gains they repulse more voters to the other side ?

Rich seam of tactical anti UKIP voters out there?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    UKIP are going to smash it out the park.
  • Options

(Snip)

You should know by now Twitter is a free service, JJ.

(I'm secretly hoping either of OGH or TSE will notice and use them in potential future Thread-headers - sh1t, did I just press "send"???)
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,031
    I think @SouthamObserver hit the nail on the head in the previous thread.. this is a case of my enemy's enemy is my friend

You only need read this site to see that supporters of the other three parties are so worried by the ukip surge (as Mike calls it) that they have begun to resemble contortionists in effort to bad mouth them.

The last couple of days have been dominated by Tories on here slagging off the Mike Read song due to the Jamaican twang & smearing by association re the Polish MEP joining the EU group... then chief PC wonk Chuka Umunna says exactly the same thing the next day

However we know that the Tories have exactly the same set up with EU groups, and I am reasonably confident that if Chuka Umunna had criticised any song last week (pre "Calypso")where a white singer affects a black voice, the same Tories on here would have criticised him for it

Staying in the EU is a free hit at UKIP, which doesn't affect their side as their leader is pro EU, along w Miliband and Clegg.. it's the only chance either side get, as they cant risk an anti UKIP tactical vote in a GE because it will hand power to their main opponents

I think Farage has long known this, hence his decision not to front any BOO campaign should the opportunity arise

It's also why BOOers need a BOOer to be in charge of the Tories... like it or not, most political junkies defend their party leaders stance.. and that's what the Conservatives are doing now
  • Options
    Well we net off DNVs Harry. You could say the same about No.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Harry

He's playing the percentage of registered voters game. Which means that 53% didn't vote to stay in the Union which get people uncomfortable for some reason.
  • Options

Poll comes out saying EU support is at its highest for 20 years. Result: Mike is accused of a) having a Kleenex moment and b) being fearful over the result. The 56% who support remaining in the EU are accused of being "fantasists"

The only fantasists are the europhobes on here who think there is any prospect of us leaving.

Just like the Nats.

I'm sure soon we'll be told, as part of the liberal metropolitan elite we are so out of touch with what is going on out on the ground.

Also don't forget the BOOers probably have a better GOTV campaign.
  • Options

(Snip)

(I'm secretly hoping either of OGH or TSE will notice and use them in potential future Thread-headers - sh1t, did I just press "send"???)
    It's clearly a free way for you to advertise your chart producing proficiency! Are there any of the main parties that you wouldn't do this for if they were willing to pay you?
  • Options

(Snip)

I'll remember for a future thread.

I'll sign it off with "If you just can't get enough of Sunil's tweets, follow him here"
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's locked in the attic.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,105
    Socrates said:

taffys said:

They would cap migration overall at 50,000 a year. That would certainly do something about the former.
    Migration, Socrates or immigration? And if the latter, is that gross or net?
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Hi everyone,

Briskin and co live at 1430 (clocks change this weekend)

We note that it is possible for a Think tank to get on the front page of The Times (Scottish edition) with no landline.

Fiscal Affairs Scotland
    Fiscal Affairs Scotland SCIO (SC044827)

http://fiscalaffairsscotland.co.uk/contact/
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    felix said:

Agreed - UKIP are focussing minds on the other side but the danger is if the 36% becomes their target score - that'd be enough to break the British system into shreds. The problem is that the 56% Yes doesen't divide helpfully into the other parties - maybe Lab 25%, LDs4% Cons19%, SNP 4% Grn 4%

That's right, though lots of those 36% won't necessarily see the EU as the decisive issue. and relatively few people do in fact cite the EU as the issue most important to them.

Immigration rather than the EU is certainly the issue that is pushing more people to UKIP. When I tell constituents that we can't hamper EU immigration without leaving it, they tend to look uncertain rather than say cheerily "OK, let's leave". But that's partly because their concerns relate more to non-EU immigration, and some haven't fully registered (and don't necessarily believe) that we've actually got a points system outside the EU, or they think there must be loads of loopholes because they've seen lots of immigrants.

• Options

(Snip)

I'll remember for a future thread.

I'll sign it off with "If you just can't get enough of Sunil's tweets, follow him here"
    Everything Counts!
  • Options
    Yay, inbford xp - litte thing etc. etc.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Probably next week.

A reliable source tells me he is going to wait until after the Tory candidate has been selected, which should be tomorrow.
  • Options

Just like the Nats.

I'm sure soon we'll be told, as part of the liberal metropolitan elite we are so out of touch with what is going on out on the ground.

Also don't forget the BOOers probably have a better GOTV campaign.
    Both of you are speaking nonsense. The post by me on the last thread openly admitted these were "disastrous" numbers for eurosceptics. How does that fit with us being "fantasists"?

In addition, __Bobajob___ has the hilarious position of believing that (a) a membership referendum would cause the UK to be racked with instability and (b) everyone but a small fringe would be certain that the vote would be In. The fact these positions are completely inconsistent doesn't occur to him.
  • Options

(Snip)

It's clearly a free way for you to advertise your chart producing proficiency! Are there any of the main parties that you wouldn't do this for if they were willing to pay you?
    The Greens. Bar Charts cause global warming, don'tcha know!
  • Options
    MEMO TO ALL-

All my typo's can can be safely dismissed as laptop problems and my comprehensive education.

PS - MI6 please don't kill me.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2014
    56% Stay In is a little lower than the final result would be, but in the right ballpark.

The Kippers have given up any pretence of making a serious case and are just turning into a general moan machine, Serious BOOers like Dan Hannan are tearing their hair out.

Of course the tragedy is that it didn't have to be like this. The time to get this right was before signing Lisbon, but unfortuntely we were lumbered with a Labour government who recklessly or deliberately threw away the opportunity. We are left with Cameron's approach as the best of a bad job.
  • Options
    Socrates

Time to bin the referendum idea. Pointless foregone conclusion. Time to move on.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Wondering what politics will be like after a vote to stay in the EU.

Perhaps we can start getting on with things.
  • Options

(Snip)

You consider the Greens one of the main parties? Interesting.. Both Neil and TSE should be pleased!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Just the headline Ed was looking for...

@TelePolitics: Miliband refuses to back study into NHS Wales http://t.co/A1HD2VnjBH
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    "It's also worth bearing in mind this is a poll after Cameron has been in the news about limiting EU migration as his main repatriation. I can imagine these numbers changing if he can't do that effectively."

I sometimes wonder whether Cameron is really a closet BOOer, and is making a great play of his renegotiation in the hope of convincing a lot of the uncommitted public that the EU is unreformable and we'd be better off out.

I think that an argument for out would be a lot more convincing if it came from someone who could credibly claim to have gone on the same emotional journey that most of the public would need to go on. Something like: "I like Europe. I wanted to make the EU work. And I tried, I really did. But the EU that our Continental friends have chosen to create is not an EU that Britain is comfortable being a member of. And so it is now time to leave the EU and create a new relationship with Europe."

Then I remember that a conspiracy is rarely the explanation when a cock-up will suffice, and Cameron doesn't have the air of someone who has been planning his moves a decade in advance. It's much more credible that he has been reacting to short-term pressure.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That didn't happen last time. I'm sure the Europhobes would find new reasons why the settled will of the public should be unsettled.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

That a be the midterms? They're being showing Obi-wan in a voting booth all morning on British Tv FYI

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014

56% Stay In is a little lower than the final result would be, but in the right ballpark.

The Kippers have given up any pretence of making a serious case and are just turning into a general moan machine, Serious BOOers like Dan Hannan are tearing their hair out.

Of course the tragedy is that it didn't have to be like this. The time to get this right was before signing Lisbon, but unfortuntely we were lumbered with a Labour government who recklessly or deliberately threw away the opportunity. We are left with Cameron's approach as the best of a bad job.

Genuine legal question: Do we need a referendum to leave? We didn't need any referendums since 1973 to get where to we are now! If Lisbon, Maastricht etc can be passed into law without a referendum then they can be repealed. Could an incoming PM Farage simply pass a Get The Hell Out Of Dodge Act?

Is it codified in British law what international treaty commitments / pooling of sovereignty require a UK referendum? Is there a 'this kind of shit needs a referendum Act'? If Yes, then the ratification of eg Lisbon was illegal. If No then we can just leave.
  • Options
    My guess for the result of an EU referendum would be 55-45 in favour of staying in, same as the Scottish referendum. That was my prediction before seeing today's numbers.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Well it'd keep this website busy enough, and we could bet on it :)

Also I overheard John Gaunt, he is primed and ready to lead the "Out" campaign - which should be good for a laugh.
    Jon Gaunt, 'the monster who roars for coppers'? Ha Ha Ha.
  • Options
    Off-topic-

I've been frantically searching for French and Deutsch Dictionaries all afternoon. (Apparently we're in the EU).

Anyway - apparently my Casio is not a casio anyway - but rather is emboldened with the number DT391

Team Casio-

Bunch of fakers

And you can trust us with your lives.
  • Options
    The Kippers have given up any pretence of making a serious case and are just turning into a general moan machine.

Should this be the tories' main line of attack?
  • Options

Socrates

Time to bin the referendum idea. Pointless foregone conclusion. Time to move on.

When you're just repeating talking points rather than responding to counter-arguments, you've jumped the shark.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

That didn't happen last time. I'm sure the Europhobes would find new reasons why the settled will of the public should be unsettled.
    Big boost for UKIP. Like the Scottish referendum with the SNP.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Could the Thread managers please give us a bit more warning when threads are due for a change?

It's getting pretty obvious that as soon as there is any negative polling, or perceived negative polling for UKIP, the thread must be changed without warning. Farcical ffs!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

My guess for the result of an EU referendum would be 55-45 in favour of staying in, same as the Scottish referendum. That was my prediction before seeing today's numbers.

You're Clinton 16 then?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Dan Hodges right on cue..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11179456/Of-course-Ukip-wont-condemn-its-racist-new-partners-because-Ukip-is-the-cult-of-Nigel-Farage.html

"There has been talk in recent weeks about tensions between Farage and the more socially liberal Carswell. How their very differing visions of how Ukip should reach beyond its base could produce splits within the party.

There will be no splits. And that’s because Carswell’s vision is his, and his alone. Ukip are not a party of libertarians. They are a party of worshippers. They worship at the Shrine of Farage. He is the way, the truth and the light.

Nigel says Putin is someone he admires, so the message boards fill up with Ukip supporters expressing admiration for Putin. Nigel says Robert Iwaszkiewicz was just having a bit of a laugh when he said beating women “helps bring wives back to earth”; Twitter comes alive with Ukip supporters explaining how Robert Iwaszkiewicz’s views are being traduced by Ukip’s opponents. Nigel announces a “Wag tax”; Ukip members applaud. Two days later he announces he’s scrapping his “Wag tax”; they applaud again."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    UKIP, just in it for the money...

@Spectator_CH: From @jgforsyth: Ukip’s unsavoury Polish ally in the European Parliament http://t.co/mZHYIgMj3E
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Patrick said:

Genuine legal question: Do we need a referendum to leave? We didn't need any referendums since 1973 to get where to we are now! If Lisbon, Maastricht etc can be passed into law without a referendum then they can be repealed. Could an incoming PM Farage simply pass a Get The Hell Out Of Dodge Act?

Is it codified in British law what international treaty commitments / pooling of sovereignty require a UK referendum? Is there a 'this kind of shit needs a referendum Act'? If Yes, then the ratification of eg Lisbon was illegal. If No then we can just leave.
    In general one would expect that the Lords would kick up a fuss if this wasn't a manifesto commitment - though the precedence on Lisbon is not great there, given the commitments prior to the general election to hold a referendum.

I think there have now been enough referenda in British politics that it would be hard to make that sort of major constitutional change without a referendum - but the nature of the British Constitution is that hard does not equal impossible/illegal and so UKIP with an outright Commons majority could simply pass something like an "EU exit Bill" into law.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Patrick said:

Could an incoming PM Farage simply pass a Get The Hell Out Of Dodge Act?

Nah. He'd be too busy dealing with the rioting and mass civil unrest.

• Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited October 2014

Socrates

No. A vote could not possibly be a foregone conclusion three years ahead. Pro-Europeans should support a referendum as a necessary means to renew democratic consent and to enable the UK to play a more positive role in Europe.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Nigel says Putin is someone he admires, so the message boards fill up with Ukip supporters expressing admiration for Putin. Nigel says Robert Iwaszkiewicz was just having a bit of a laugh when he said beating women “helps bring wives back to earth”; Twitter comes alive with Ukip supporters explaining how Robert Iwaszkiewicz’s views are being traduced by Ukip’s opponents. Nigel announces a “Wag tax”; Ukip members applaud. Two days later he announces he’s scrapping his “Wag tax”; they applaud again."

That just describes politics as practiced by loyalists.

For example, any LD talking about Tuition fees.

Some might remember Tory supporters like RN backing the party line before the election that to cut the deficit by half would be inadequate and that a AAA rating had to be guarded at all costs. The same people are now supporting the party line that to cut it by a third is an achievement and that it doesn't matter that we are AA+.

No doubt same applies to Labour supporters.
  • Options

(Snip)

You consider the Greens one of the main parties? Interesting.. Both Neil and TSE should be pleased!
    Well, for now they have at least one MP!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11179456/Of-course-Ukip-wont-condemn-its-racist-new-partners-because-Ukip-is-the-cult-of-Nigel-Farage.html

"There has been talk in recent weeks about tensions between Farage and the more socially liberal Carswell. How their very differing visions of how Ukip should reach beyond its base could produce splits within the party.

There will be no splits. And that’s because Carswell’s vision is his, and his alone. Ukip are not a party of libertarians. They are a party of worshippers. They worship at the Shrine of Farage. He is the way, the truth and the light.

Is David Farage terrible news for Nigel Miliband ?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    TGOHF said:

Ukip is more than the people who post on the message boards who are, admittedly, mainly nutters. They aren't all of the voters Ukip are getting in the polls.

I imagine Hodges is diversifying his portfolio of hate figures to dilute any ed-related embarrassment after the GE.

• Options

I look forward to David Cameron's proposals for limiting EU migration. Will it be an emergency brake or a points system?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Is David Farage terrible news for Nigel Miliband ?
    Nigel Cameron
    David Farage
    Ed Clegg
    Nick Miliband

:)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

If there was a vote to stay In, then that should be that until either 20 years have passed, or there's a new treaty.
  • Options
    I propose a referendum on the monarchy. I have no doubt that the retentionists will win. But the public deserves a voice. We must be allowed our chance!!!
  • Options
    There is one massive assumption here; that the Eurozone/EU will not collapse anyway under its own intrinsic contradictions.

Who knows what would happen if Le Pen were elected? How much longer can Germany keep the Eurozone afloat especially if the Russian sanctions continue to bite there. Half the Eurozone is in terminal decline with no prospect of recovery. And this at a time of general world economic growth. Wait till there's another global downturn and see what happens.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I propose a referendum on the monarchy. I have no doubt that the retentionists will win. But the public deserves a voice. We must be allowed our chance!!!

Can you set out the harm that the Monarchy currently does to the country and why you think the Cons outweigh the Pros?

• Options
    edited October 2014

Well we could have a vote, it'd be pretty humiliating for the republicans mind.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    edited October 2014

felix said:

That's right, though lots of those 36% won't necessarily see the EU as the decisive issue. and relatively few people do in fact cite the EU as the issue most important to them.

Immigration rather than the EU is certainly the issue that is pushing more people to UKIP. When I tell constituents that we can't hamper EU immigration without leaving it, they tend to look uncertain rather than say cheerily "OK, let's leave". But that's partly because their concerns relate more to non-EU immigration, and some haven't fully registered (and don't necessarily believe) that we've actually got a points system outside the EU, or they think there must be loads of loopholes because they've seen lots of immigrants.

Bravo on recognising people have concerns about immigration without calling them bigots. What a refreshing change to Mad Gord.

Did you also tell them that you felt immigrants should have priority to social housing if their "needs" were higher. Even if they also had a house in a foreign country.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Had a few requests for a price on there being 2 elections next year. So we're offering 10/1. Here are some thoughts http://t.co/X2e6aDe3qK
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

You need to demonstrate a critical mass of support that an issue needs to be settled by a referendum. At this time such a critical mass exists for the EU but I would say not for the monarchy. Get campaigning!

• Options
    shadsy said:

Had a few requests for a price on there being 2 elections next year. So we're offering 10/1. Here are some thoughts http://t.co/X2e6aDe3qK

Very interesting. Apparently some city folk are seriously contemplating three party coalitions/agreements.

This discussion has been closed.