Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

These numbers make the voting ID rule hard to justify – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,774
    edited May 2023
    Emergency proxy vote

In certain circumstances, where you have an emergency that means you can't vote in person, you can apply for an emergency proxy.

This must be something that you weren't aware of before the normal proxy vote deadline.

You have a medical emergency (PDF)
    You are away for work (PDF)
    Your photo ID is lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged, and the deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate has passed. This form can also be used if your Anonymous Elector's Document is lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged.
    These applications can be made up to 5pm on polling day.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/apply-vote-proxy#emergency-proxy-en
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

genuine question - how do they physically count votes where you can vote for more than one candidate ? Its easy in a GE to count as FPTP but how is it physically done ?

They use the grass skirt method here. They stick 20 ballot papers to a board, line them up so that the boxes are shown and then count across to create tallies for each candidate.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2023

kle4 said:

I do love a good theoretical map, though I think this one may cause some peoples' heads to explode of a hypothetical Europe in 2037.

https://twitter.com/EeldenDen/status/1653096350056079370

Norwegian and Swiss ones for ure.
    A Europe of city states, I quite like that ;-)

It's intriguing how wedded the majority seem to be to nation states, most of which have only existed in their current form for a few hundred years at most.

Nationalism has been in the ascendancy in in recent centuries but is it 'forever'? I doubt it.
    Ofcourse, looking back, historians will be less surprised ; for instance at the great "woke wars" of 2087, when London joined Paris against an alliance of Yorkshire and mid-France ;.)

In Greece, the provincial nationalist-voting citizens of sparta laid siege to the new Athenian state, which they accused of beng too "international"..
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Approx distribution of seats being fought by English region today:

South East 23%
    East Midlands 17%
    East 17%
    North West 16%
    West Midlands 11%
    South West 7%
    Yorkshire & Humber 5%
    North East 4%

Total North & Midlands 53%
    Total South 47%
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

That ship has sailed. Precious few consider adultery an issue.

Adultery is bad, and serial adultery in particular, but forgiveness is also a virtue.

What astonishes me is how viscerally some people I know loathe Camilla. Follow me to anecdote land, but I listened to two who were spitting mad about being called Queen now ("That's never happened before!") and how that went against what the Queen wanted, even though one was a committed republican, and the other was a "I was never really a fan but respected the Queen, and it should have ended with her" republican.
    Didn't Queen Anne (Boleyn) has same problem thanks to being "the other woman" re: Queen Catherine (of Aragon)?

Comes with the territory.
    It’s rather like the visceral hate for Amber Heard, on the part of people who have never met her.””
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,710

I seem to have stumbled into Middle Earth..

Also available in Wimborne:

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    edited May 2023

TimS said:

No wonder they didn’t bother publishing the Sue Grey enquiry findings yesterday:

https://twitter.com/daaronovitch/status/1653800751116722178?s=46

Another currygate.

Surprised Big G didn't post this.
    Big John Owls, not Big G.
    Good evening

I have not subscribed to the opinion that some in the conservative party have, that Sue Gray's report was influenced by her connections with labour.

However, it seems she was approached by Starmer in October and the point that is controversial is that her discussions with Starmer may be in breach of the civil service code and I suggest that it is wise to wait to see the report due shortly which will receive plenty of coverage in the media, not least Sky

On the subject of Sky, Sam Coates of posted this today which summarises the position as of now

https://news.sky.com/story/sue-gray-labour-held-talks-with-senior-civil-servant-for-at-least-four-months-before-chief-of-staff-role-announced-12872234
    The Tories and their client media have been saying that its a political stutch-up. Except that the report into Boris was done and dusted months before the first approach from Starmer.

Which means the scandal is that Ed Llewlyn stepped straight from the civil service to being David Cameron's Chief of Staff...
    Indeed some have and they are wrong

Sue Gray's report was quite lenient for Johnson and I do not question its veracity

The question that is relevant is whether Starmer and Sue Gray entered discussions on her appointment in breach of the civil service code and on that subject it will become public knowledge soon enough and if she did any gardening leave she may have to take
    You do seem to like to jump to conclusions where Starmer is concerned, I remember your early Currygate enthusiasm, yet with Partygate it was all "let's wait for the Gray Report".

If Sunak disallows Gray from ever working for Starmer, that is fair enough it is in his gift and a massive one-upmanship win for Sunak. He is after all Prime Minister. But in no way was Gray ever compromised over Partygate. Johnson was banged to rights because he was caught red-handed.

On topic. Mike's header is proof, it were needed, that the Conservatives under Johnson and now Sunak are far more malign with a plot to suppressa significant proportion of the population from voting is far more serious than the date at which Starmer first approached Gray
    Your attitude is part of the problem with modern politics

The Tories have introduced a measure that they argue will improve security of the ballot. In principle that’s a good thing. Now you can argue whether it’s needed, or effective, or whether they should have reformed postal voting as well. All fair questions.

But instead you go for “malign” Tories. Evil demons. Only one step better than a fascist dictator (I paraphrase). That’s not constructive.
    Perhaps as a punishment I should be barred from voting.
    Your punishment is having SKS to put your faith in...
    I saw PMQs on YouTube at midnight. I thought for a plodding donkey Sir Softie was rather articulate. Sunak on the other hand was as smooth as silk. A sleek, polished presentation of pre- prepared sound bites and a real dose of electioneering. He made no attempt to answer any one of Starmer's questions. And where I was mildly impressed with Starmer was his final question in which in the light of the Coronation he asked Sunak to join with him in celebrating the late Queen. Sunak could barely agree with that, and instead remained on script, banging on about voting Tory in tomorrow's election. As you know, I am a snowflake, so it wouldn't surprise you to learn I felt that was very disrespectful.

Starmer has no polished finish and really is a bit of a donkey, but beyond the slick delivery and the elocution Sunak really has nothing to offer. Enough, it would seem for many on this board, but where did running a country on crisp soundbites (for just 45 days) once get us?
    Good morning

I would just say that for some of us Sunak is just a great relief from the days of Johnson and the idiotic Truss and with Hunt he is seen as competent

He has a mountain to climb but no matter today's results he is the only conservative that has the ability to start the process of healing

Starmer is looking very likely to be the next PM but he is no Blair and the GE campaign will be interesting

And yesterday's highlights of PMQs was the take down of Starmer by Stephen Flynn heralding the fight for votes in Scotland between them
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,710

Emergency proxy vote

In certain circumstances, where you have an emergency that means you can't vote in person, you can apply for an emergency proxy.

This must be something that you weren't aware of before the normal proxy vote deadline.

You have a medical emergency (PDF)
    You are away for work (PDF)
    Your photo ID is lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged, and the deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate has passed. This form can also be used if your Anonymous Elector's Document is lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged.
    These applications can be made up to 5pm on polling day.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/apply-vote-proxy#emergency-proxy-en

But not if you have just never had a valid photo ID.

Plus, is that what voters turning up with no valid ID will be told?
  • Options

TimS said:

No wonder they didn’t bother publishing the Sue Grey enquiry findings yesterday:

Another currygate.

Good evening

I have not subscribed to the opinion that some in the conservative party have, that Sue Gray's report was influenced by her connections with labour.

However, it seems she was approached by Starmer in October and the point that is controversial is that her discussions with Starmer may be in breach of the civil service code and I suggest that it is wise to wait to see the report due shortly which will receive plenty of coverage in the media, not least Sky

On the subject of Sky, Sam Coates of posted this today which summarises the position as of now

https://news.sky.com/story/sue-gray-labour-held-talks-with-senior-civil-servant-for-at-least-four-months-before-chief-of-staff-role-announced-12872234
    The Tories and their client media have been saying that its a political stutch-up. Except that the report into Boris was done and dusted months before the first approach from Starmer.

Which means the scandal is that Ed Llewlyn stepped straight from the civil service to being David Cameron's Chief of Staff...

Sue Gray's report was quite lenient for Johnson and I do not question its veracity

The question that is relevant is whether Starmer and Sue Gray entered discussions on her appointment in breach of the civil service code and on that subject it will become public knowledge soon enough and if she did any gardening leave she may have to take
    You do seem to like to jump to conclusions where Starmer is concerned, I remember your early Currygate enthusiasm, yet with Partygate it was all "let's wait for the Gray Report".

If Sunak disallows Gray from ever working for Starmer, that is fair enough it is in his gift and a massive one-upmanship win for Sunak. He is after all Prime Minister. But in no way was Gray ever compromised over Partygate. Johnson was banged to rights because he was caught red-handed.

On topic. Mike's header is proof, it were needed, that the Conservatives under Johnson and now Sunak are far more malign with a plot to suppressa significant proportion of the population from voting is far more serious than the date at which Starmer first approached Gray

The Tories have introduced a measure that they argue will improve security of the ballot. In principle that’s a good thing. Now you can argue whether it’s needed, or effective, or whether they should have reformed postal voting as well. All fair questions.

But instead you go for “malign” Tories. Evil demons. Only one step better than a fascist dictator (I paraphrase). That’s not constructive.
    I saw PMQs on YouTube at midnight. I thought for a plodding donkey Sir Softie was rather articulate. Sunak on the other hand was as smooth as silk. A sleek, polished presentation of pre- prepared sound bites and a real dose of electioneering. He made no attempt to answer any one of Starmer's questions. And where I was mildly impressed with Starmer was his final question in which in the light of the Coronation he asked Sunak to join with him in celebrating the late Queen. Sunak could barely agree with that, and instead remained on script, banging on about voting Tory in tomorrow's election. As you know, I am a snowflake, so it wouldn't surprise you to learn I felt that was very disrespectful.

Starmer has no polished finish and really is a bit of a donkey, but beyond the slick delivery and the elocution Sunak really has nothing to offer. Enough, it would seem for many on this board, but where did running a country on crisp soundbites (for just 45 days) once get us?
    Good morning

I would just say that for some of us Sunak is just a great relief from the days of Johnson and the idiotic Truss and with Hunt he is seen as competent

He has a mountain to climb but no matter today's results he is the only conservative that has the ability to start the process of healing

Starmer is looking very likely to be the next PM but he is no Blair and the GE campaign will be interesting
    Sunak is no Major. The fundamental point is that a party that crashed the economy as badly as the Tories deserves and needs a rebuke from the electorate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,833
    edited May 2023

genuine question - how do they physically count votes where you can vote for more than one candidate ? Its easy in a GE to count as FPTP but how is it physically done ?

You mark them off on a tally sheet. So every ten ballots fills up a sheet which shows 7 voted for x 6 voted for y etc and how many did not use up all votes. Then you add up all the tally sheets. The ballots are attached to the tally sheet so you can recheck if things overall dont add up.

Its annoying as hell with town's and parishes which can have upwards of 20 votes if they have no warding arrangements.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. F, isn't a dislike of Amber Heard rational given the way she treated Johnny Depp?

The audio recordings do not make for great listening.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I do love a good theoretical map, though I think this one may cause some peoples' heads to explode of a hypothetical Europe in 2037.

It's intriguing how wedded the majority seem to be to nation states, most of which have only existed in their current form for a few hundred years at most.

Nationalism has been in the ascendancy in in recent centuries but is it 'forever'? I doubt it.
    Nationalism is an incredibly powerful ideology, for something so recent. It broke up all the European empires (including the Soviets’), defeated global communism, and mostly trumps religious loyalties.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

You snowflakes have a real thing about criticism = almost being labelled a fascist and therefore should not be allowed. There is a whole spectrum of malign. The Boris and post Boris version of the Tories is more malign than any UK government of my lifetime by a distance. That does not make them the worst political party in the world ever or anywhere remotely close, but they are still problematic and should be challenged loudly and clearly.
    I was exaggerating for effect.

The point is criticise a governments actions. Don’t smear them as being somehow evil. The left lives to do that.
    Again there is a whole spectrum of malign. Intentions behind actions matter. This was malign. Not evil, but malign. Still not evil. Nor terrible 1930s fascism. Malign.
    Not in this post but in previous threads there have been comparisons of this government to 1930s Germany…

And malign is a much stronger word than you think
    Well if it happened unfairly on a previous thread, complain about it on that thread, don't snowflake your way to try and stop criticism on this thread!
    It’s happened on multiple occasions.

My point is that the language used and demonisation of opponents is not conducive to a healthy society.

I’m stunned that anyone actually disputes that!
    Mere snowflakery to deflect criticism. Not to mention the hypocrisy when we get into the language of the government on immigration or even their own civil servants and judges.
    Is it snowflakery to point out that all but one of all EU countries require ID? Is it snowflakery to point out that the objection to this very reasonable and sensible measure is actually a cynical ploy by Labour and other opposition parties to try and paint the government as "malign" and evil and therefore create division in society and mistrust in politics?

I have always loathed Johnson and his populist politics of division, but the reality is that many on the left in this country are equal if not far worse.
    And all those countries that require ID to be shown also have National ID cards and probably a legal requirement to carry it at all times.

We don't have a national ID card and it's almost like this is designed to correct demand for it by stealth.
    IIRC only 15 have mandatory ID cards. Your next desperate point?
    According to Wikipedia, there are four other developed world countries that don't have ID cards:

- Australia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - New Zealand

Japan and New Zealand require no ID to vote. Canada and Australia require ID to vote, but in the event you don't have any on you, you can either have another voter attest to your identity or cast a provisional ballot.

As far as I can tell, the UK is unique in (a) not having ID cards, and (b) not offering any kind of on the day alternative for people without ID.
    I don't know where you got that from. I was referring to Europe. Only 15 member countries have mandatory ID cards. All but one require voter ID.

So sorry your research, for what it is worth (Wiki) appears to be very wrong
    Shifting the goal posts somewhat with the word "mandatory", which @rcs1000 didn't use. All those countries have state issued ID cards AIUI, with varying degrees of nominal optionalilty
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Must say producing ID to vote felt very unBritish. We'll probably get 'provisional' ballots in in time, and so the counts will be delayed. Then legal challenge nonsense and so forth.
  • Options

Mr. F, isn't a dislike of Amber Heard rational given the way she treated Johnny Depp?

My impression (and I did not follow it in detail) is that each was as bad as the other, like Thomas Carlyle and his wife.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

Sunak is no Major. The fundamental point is that a party that crashed the economy as badly as the Tories deserves and needs a rebuke from the electorate.
    Only if the alternative is better which will be put to the test most likely in October 24
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

Interesting point that Lord Peston was making on his programme last night, when interviewing Michael "John Travolta" Gove ; Britain's borrowing costs are still affected by the Truss debacle, a bit higher than they were. That will amount to billions, when taken over several years.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Nationalism is an incredibly powerful ideology, for something so recent. It broke up all the European empires (including the Soviets’), defeated global communism, and mostly trumps religious loyalties.
    It enables new tribes to belong to which are more open - you can join them and it doesn't matter what your race or faith in many - whilst still putting limits between you and the amorphous mass of humanity, which is harder to personslie.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,808

I presime one of those MoD replica plastic Spitfires which it needed after selling off most of its real ones?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    On Topic its blatant vote rigging for Political advantage both sides would do it now they are run by charlatans https://twitter.com/williamjohnbird/status/1653893138170118145
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

kle4 said:

I don't see something like this as remotely likely and I'm not even sure I'd vote for it, but I do suspect that it's the only way that Europe avoids economic, geopolitical and technological irrelevance.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,020
    edited May 2023

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

You snowflakes have a real thing about criticism = almost being labelled a fascist and therefore should not be allowed. There is a whole spectrum of malign. The Boris and post Boris version of the Tories is more malign than any UK government of my lifetime by a distance. That does not make them the worst political party in the world ever or anywhere remotely close, but they are still problematic and should be challenged loudly and clearly.

The point is criticise a governments actions. Don’t smear them as being somehow evil. The left lives to do that.
    Again there is a whole spectrum of malign. Intentions behind actions matter. This was malign. Not evil, but malign. Still not evil. Nor terrible 1930s fascism. Malign.
    Not in this post but in previous threads there have been comparisons of this government to 1930s Germany…

Well if it happened unfairly on a previous thread, complain about it on that thread, don't snowflake your way to try and stop criticism on this thread!

My point is that the language used and demonisation of opponents is not conducive to a healthy society.

Mere snowflakery to deflect criticism. Not to mention the hypocrisy when we get into the language of the government on immigration or even their own civil servants and judges.
    Is it snowflakery to point out that all but one of all EU countries require ID? Is it snowflakery to point out that the objection to this very reasonable and sensible measure is actually a cynical ploy by Labour and other opposition parties to try and paint the government as "malign" and evil and therefore create division in society and mistrust in politics?

I have always loathed Johnson and his populist politics of division, but the reality is that many on the left in this country are equal if not far worse.
    And all those countries that require ID to be shown also have National ID cards and probably a legal requirement to carry it at all times.

We don't have a national ID card and it's almost like this is designed to correct demand for it by stealth.
    According to Wikipedia, there are four other developed world countries that don't have ID cards:

- Australia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - New Zealand

Japan and New Zealand require no ID to vote. Canada and Australia require ID to vote, but in the event you don't have any on you, you can either have another voter attest to your identity or cast a provisional ballot.

As far as I can tell, the UK is unique in (a) not having ID cards, and (b) not offering any kind of on the day alternative for people without ID.
    I don't know where you got that from. I was referring to Europe. Only 15 member countries have mandatory ID cards. All but one require voter ID.

OK. Let's run down the list for Europe, shall we?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identity_cards_in_the_European_Economic_Area

"National identity cards are issued to their citizens by the governments of all European Economic Area (EEA) member states except Denmark, Iceland and Ireland."

Of these, ID cards are compulsory for citizens in Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain,

However, in Italy, the Netherlands, Slovenia and France, citizens "should be able to prove their identity if stopped by police". Which, I presume, means they need to carry photo ID on them at all times.

Which leaves, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Litchenstein, Sweden, Switzerland and Norway.

I don't know how you got to 15 without citizens without ID cards, unless you are including places like Germany where the law is "National identity card optional; however, a national identity card or passport is compulsory for German citizens aged 16 or over, and valid identity documentation is compulsory for other EEA citizens."

I make it Ireland, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Liechtenstein, Sweden, Switzerland and Norway (7) where there is neither compulsory ID cards nor any requirement to carry ID.

As far as voting goes:

In Ireland, in addition to photo ID, you may also use a bank or credit card. (Source: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/voting_procedure_in_a_general_election.html)

In Denmark, if you do not have photo ID, you can either be attested by another voter or you can provide other other ID: https://elections.im.dk/local-elections/voting-on-election-day

Finland does require photo ID: https://valtioneuvosto.fi/en/-/1410853/municipal-elections-proving-identity-at-polling-stations

Sweden allows other voters to attest to the ID of the voter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_identification_laws#Sweden

Switzerland, like Finland, requires citizens to produce ID. However, in some cantons, e-voting is allowed by citizens on the day. If you have a polling card, you can vote from your phone on the day without going into a polling station. The app will take a photo of you when you cast your vote.

Norway, like Finland, requires ID. I have no idea whether there are alternatives.

It is worth noting that Norway and Finland uptake of the (voluntary) national ID card is close to 100%.

I can't think of a single democratic developed country that has disenfranchised so many people. Can you?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Jonathan said:

I must say, whilst perhaps of questionable value, it’s rather fun being the only teller down in rural Sussex. The look of astonishment on some faces that anyone could dare wear a red rosette is delightful. Still a counter cultural act.

Whats your name?

Dont teller Pike
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

Only if the alternative is better which will be put to the test most likely in October 24
    If they can win again after all this chaos, what lessons will the Tories learn?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. F, I also didn't follow it beat for beat, but it seemed very much lopsided from what I heard. Rather glad Depp won the case (though he lost film roles, whereas Heard, after being found in the wrong, has retained her role in Aquaman 2).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

Maybe the question should be if they win again what lessons have Labour to learn

Rest easy though I do not expect a majority conservative government post GE 24
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,050
    Jonathan said:

Lie Hard II

Lie Harder...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

- Australia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - New Zealand

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_identity_cards_in_the_European_Economic_Area

"National identity cards are issued to their citizens by the governments of all European Economic Area (EEA) member states except Denmark, Iceland and Ireland."

Of these, ID cards are compulsory for citizens in Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain,

However, in Italy, the Netherlands, Slovenia and France, citizens "should be able to prove their identity if stopped by police". Which, I presume, means they need to carry photo ID on them at all times.

Which leaves, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Litchenstein, Sweden, Switzerland and Norway.

I don't know how you got to 15 without citizens without ID cards, unless you are including places like Germany where the law is "National identity card optional; however, a national identity card or passport is compulsory for German citizens aged 16 or over, and valid identity documentation is compulsory for other EEA citizens."

I make it Ireland, Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Liechtenstein, Sweden, Switzerland and Norway (7) where there is neither compulsory ID cards nor any requirement to carry ID.

As far as voting goes:

In Ireland, in addition to photo ID, you may also use a bank or credit card. (Source: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/voting_procedure_in_a_general_election.html)

In Denmark, if you do not have photo ID, you can either be attested by another voter or you can provide other other ID: https://elections.im.dk/local-elections/voting-on-election-day

Finland does require photo ID: https://valtioneuvosto.fi/en/-/1410853/municipal-elections-proving-identity-at-polling-stations

Sweden allows other voters to attest to the ID of the voter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_identification_laws#Sweden

Switzerland, like Finland, requires citizens to produce ID. However, in some cantons, e-voting is allowed by citizens on the day. If you have a polling card, you can vote from your phone on the day without going into a polling station. The app will take a photo of you when you cast your vote.

Norway, like Finland, requires ID. I have no idea whether there are alternatives.

It is worth noting that Norway and Finland uptake of the (voluntary) national ID card is close to 100%.

I can't think of a single democratic developed country that has disenfranchised so many people. Can you?
    Sorry. I forgot Iceland, where required ID "is at the discretion of the returning officer" (https://www.althingi.is/lagas/148b/2000024.htm) which is a bit broad, but certainly doesn't sound inflexible.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

Maybe the question should be if they win again what lessons have Labour to learn

I know I am biased, but I am concerned if the Tories sneak it. There is definitely a need for some democratic fresh air. Labour shoulder an awesome responsibility to deliver it, despite starting so far behind.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,506
    Pulpstar said:

Must say producing ID to vote felt very unBritish. We'll probably get 'provisional' ballots in in time, and so the counts will be delayed. Then legal challenge nonsense and so forth.

Given how sclerotic our courts are the legal challenges may make California’s certification process look rapid.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,003
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

- Australia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - New Zealand

As far as voting goes:

Utterly off topic because it's not Europe but some US states make it almost impossible for poorer voters to get to a polling station.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,468
    https://twitter.com/Militarylandnet/status/1653866861392543746?cxt=HHwWhIC-sbvJ2_MtAAAA

Leopard 2 in the Ukraine - had forgotten that they mount an MG-3 (at 0:12). It's kind of a moment to see those in Ukraine again....
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    edited May 2023
    Carnyx said:

I presime one of those MoD replica plastic Spitfires which it needed after selling off most of its real ones?
    It's a replica Mk.IX which, for reasons known only to the constructor and the mental health professionals that care for them, was built from the original engineering drawings in metal but has but no engine, electrical, hydraulics, etc.

The original MK805 is now in the Italian Air Force museum in Rome.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

I know I am biased, but I am concerned if the Tories sneak it. There is definitely a need for some democratic fresh air. Labour shoulder an awesome responsibility to deliver it, despite starting so far behind.

I would just say it would be very surprising if Starmer isn't the next PM, and to be honest it is unlikely to effect my wife and I at this late stage in our journey through life
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,355
    Update from the trenches, or rather from a trencherman over dinner last night. An old China hand, actually, spent the past 30+ years in HK and was deported/singled out by the authorities there for his outspokenness.

Very pessimistic/realistic about China and Taiwan. Gives it 3-5 years before they try to retake and doesn't think The West will do much about it. Even if China sinks the US pacific fleet which I think is a bit of a stretch but I suppose you pays your money on this one and it's what Xi thinks not what I think.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

I would just say it would be very surprising if Starmer isn't the next PM, and to be honest it is unlikely to effect my wife and I at this late stage in our journey through life
    Well I hope that you see change and despite tending towards the blue, delight in democratic fresh air it brings.
  • Options
    WestieWestie Posts: 426
    How do Carlist Loyalty Oath Takers cross-correlate with the SARSCoV2 vaccinated and unvaccinated?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,306
    Just voted.

Even the staff were grousing about these stupid rules.

‘We all know there’s no problem with voter impersonation.’
  • Options
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

- Australia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - New Zealand

As far as voting goes:

Utterly off topic because it's not Europe but some US states make it almost impossible for poorer voters to get to a polling station.
    And this is where the Tories get their inspiration from.
  • Options
    Westie said:

How do Carlist Loyalty Oath Takers cross-correlate with the SARSCoV2 vaccinated and unvaccinated?

¡Viva la muerte!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

- Australia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - New Zealand

As far as voting goes:

Implementing laws to solve a problem that there is no evidence exists, but which disenfranchise millions of voters is immoral.

This isn't one of these cases where there are arguments on both sides of the debate. It's simply wrong.

(And making it impossible to vote by having polling stations with too few clerks or which are far from voters is equally wrong.)

If there was evidence of substantial personation (you know, like lots of people turning up to vote and finding someone had already voted), then obviously it would be different.

And you know, if you want to make absolutely sure there's no personation, then there are things you can do that don't disenfranchise people. Almost all countries which require voter ID have these provisons.

That we have chosen not to implement *any* backups, and given that a very substantial portion of the UK population does not carry photo ID on them, looks - to put it generously - like something designed for partisan advantage.

And that's pretty fucking sickening.
    It is incredibly sickening and anyone who tries to justify it is a PoS.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    ydoethur said:

Just voted.

The key problem we need to solve is getting people to engage and get out to vote. Creating hurdles to solve the non existent problem of impersonation at best doesn’t help the core problem.

The trouble is that parties in safe seats have a vested interest in keeping those that stayed at home last time at home. All our political leaders, by definition have safe seats. The winning party overall wants to maintain the status quo that won them power.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Update from the trenches, or rather from a trencherman over dinner last night. An old China hand, actually, spent the past 30+ years in HK and was deported/singled out by the authorities there for his outspokenness.

Very pessimistic/realistic about China and Taiwan. Gives it 3-5 years before they try to retake and doesn't think The West will do much about it. Even if China sinks the US pacific fleet which I think is a bit of a stretch but I suppose you pays your money on this one and it's what Xi thinks not what I think.

I can see China blockading Taiwan, but launching an invasion over 150 miles of Ocean against a very well equipped opponent would be very brave.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

I can see China blockading Taiwan, but launching an invasion over 150 miles of Ocean against a very well equipped opponent would be very brave.
    A proper blockade would be an act of war would it not ? It'd certainly wreck the world economically.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

kle4 said:

It is the nation state which has allowed the flowering of democracy. Do not be too quick to consign it to the dustbin of history.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Eabhal said:

1) I suppose we can't know how many personations (?) took place

2) Surely it's older voters who are most likely to not have a valid passport/driving licence? Even with the trend for not drinking/driving, most younger people have ID to get into concerts etc

3) lots of countries that we admire have ID requirements (and monarchies ;) ). Sweden, for example.

The main thing it will do is cause massive queues, lots of angst and general ill feeling.

Of developed world democracies without ID cards - New Zealand, Australia, Canada, and Japan - two don't require ID to vote at all (NZ and Japan), while two (Australia and Canada) do.

However, in both cases, there are contingencies for people who arrive without ID*: if another voter attests to your identity, then you can vote; and if you don't have another voter who can attest, then you can cast a provisional ballot that can be cured later in the event that the result is sufficiently close.

* And their list of acceptable IDs is longer
    Though worth adding that in Australia voting is compulsory so the effect of ID cards upon likelihood to vote and disenfrancisement is probably rather muted
    Does Australia require voter ID? Quick google says no although they have been through a near identical debate.

https://theconversation.com/good-riddance-the-costs-of-morrisons-voter-id-plan-outweighed-any-benefit-172874

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/rp1415/VoterID
    I don't know. It was Robert who said they do.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,700
    ydoethur said:

Just voted.

Who checks them, as a matter of interest ?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,910
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/i-demand-reparations-for-my-ancestors-fall-from-grace/

I raise Mr Thomas:

1) "Lavatory Cleaner"
    2) Fisherman who had both his legs ripped off by a cable and whose body was dumped in the North Sea
  • Options

kle4 said:

It is the nation state which has allowed the flowering of democracy. Do not be too quick to consign it to the dustbin of history.
    As Ukraine is currently demonstrating.
    But that doesn't mean it is necessarily the only model.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,910
    I think Yousaf will have to suspend F.Ewing to retain any kind of authority in the party. Open rebellion now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

A blockade would also be difficult, unless they start actually sinking ships.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

True but much like the current thread debate on ID, why change something that clearly works, to deal with an imaginary problem, and in doing so probably create more real problems.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

- Australia
    - Canada
    - Japan
    - New Zealand

As far as voting goes:

Implementing laws to solve a problem that there is no evidence exists, but which disenfranchise millions of voters is immoral.

This isn't one of these cases where there are arguments on both sides of the debate. It's simply wrong.

(And making it impossible to vote by having polling stations with too few clerks or which are far from voters is equally wrong.)

If there was evidence of substantial personation (you know, like lots of people turning up to vote and finding someone had already voted), then obviously it would be different.

And you know, if you want to make absolutely sure there's no personation, then there are things you can do that don't disenfranchise people. Almost all countries which require voter ID have these provisons.

That we have chosen not to implement *any* backups, and given that a very substantial portion of the UK population does not carry photo ID on them, looks - to put it generously - like something designed for partisan advantage.

And that's pretty fucking sickening.
    That's the question I posed upthread.
    Why do defenders of the change think we omitted to provide for any such backups, when everyone else has them ?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

indeed. Democracy did also originally flower in a city-state, too. In the modern world, nation states have allowed a lot of progress, though.

What I find most interesting are cosmopolitan metropolises when they were within and capitals of, as the centring of, Empires - Vienna, Constantinople, etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Yes that was his point - a blockade having neutralised any US fleet there. He did a lot of mentioning China's hypersonic missile capability.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

His point was that they would sink ships and no one (ie the US) would respond.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

A proper blockade would be an act of war would it not ? It'd certainly wreck the world economically.
    Yes and yes. The calculus is whether the US proceeds to war over Taiwan.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

I think he's very wrong about that. FWIW.

Though if Trump gets back in, it might be a very different matter.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,346
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Saw this in my Facebook feed:

• Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600
    Sean_F said:

My impression (and I did not follow it in detail) is that each was as bad as the other, like Thomas Carlyle and his wife.
    Of whom it was said that in marrying each other they made 2 people unhappy instead of 4.
  • Options
    I considered spoiling my ballot paper in protest at this shambles.

But I decided it would annoy the Tories far more if they lost the seat.

Not sure whether the Green candidate can take it, but maybe if enough Labour voters vote Green I won’t have voted in vain.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

True but much like the current thread debate on ID, why change something that clearly works, to deal with an imaginary problem, and in doing so probably create more real problems.
    Well that too is a matter of democratic choice.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,463
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Just voted.

The key problem we need to solve is getting people to engage and get out to vote. Creating hurdles to solve the non existent problem of impersonation at best doesn’t help the core problem.

The trouble is that parties in safe seats have a vested interest in keeping those that stayed at home last time at home. All our political leaders, by definition have safe seats. The winning party overall wants to maintain the status quo that won them power.
    1) A pedant notes: personation, not impersonation. I don't think anyone on any side has claimed there is a problem with impersonation of voters!

2) Struggling to be bothered to vote. Labour will win the ward easily anyway - hardly seems worth the effort just to add a tally in one box or other. And my polling station has changed: it used to be the sports club, which had a bar which served surprisingly good beer; it's now the church hall, which doesn't have a bar.

3) Inflation news: bought some tickets for the T20 Blast last night. Last year, a family of five could go for £20. This year, it costs over £50.
    It's still a better tournament than the 100, obviously, for all sorts of reasons. But the #1 reason it was a better tournament was that it was so agreeably cheap. I'd had half a mind I'd get tickets for all Lancashire's home games. But I think two is the most we can reasonably do. Still, they appear to be selling all their tickets, so it's what the market will bear I suppose - I always thought they were underselling their product.
    Even if it costs the same, mind, I'd rather go to watch Lancashire in the T20 than Manchester in the Hundred.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

I think he's very wrong about that. FWIW.

Though if Trump gets back in, it might be a very different matter.
    Very wrong but if one of the presidential candidates gets in a very different matter.

Doesn't therefore sound "very wrong" to me. But I think it's unlikely, if not very wrong.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

It's an excellent question BigG - although one I hope doesn't arise and neither do I expect it to. But let's run with it. A stridently moderate Labour Party, as floating voter friendly as they can possibly be, fights a GE against a Tory Party who've been in power for 14 years, with the backdrop of a struggling economy, people worse off, and the Johnson and Truss debacles in recent memory.

The outcome of this is nevertheless a Tory win! :unamused:

The questions raised for Labour would be existential. Why are we here? Why do we bother? It'd be a period of real soul searching about the party, its values, its place and purpose. It would also raise some deep (almost philosophical) questions about what on earth goes on in the minds of the electorate when they vote.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    ydoethur said:

Not sure whether the Green candidate can take it, but maybe if enough Labour voters vote Green I won’t have voted in vain.

Important to give feedback to the team politely but forcibly, and ask them to feedback your views on ID to the returning officer.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,774
    Union bosses have accused the Scottish Government of being “rooted in the past” over its veto of a new fleet of nuclear power stations to be built north of the Border.

The Herald revealed that the UK Government has given up attempting to impose nuclear power developments on Scotland, with SNP ministers continuing to oppose the energy source under current technology…..

Despite the opposition by the Scottish Government, under the UK Government’s plans to build new reactors, nuclear energy could still be used to power Scotland due to the UK’s single power grid.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/23499129.rooted-past-unions-blast-snp-nuclear-power-snub/?ref=twtrec

Of course, were something to end the UK’s single power grid…..
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

It'll stay as China
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,712
    kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

It's an excellent question BigG - although one I hope doesn't arise and neither do I expect it to. But let's run with it. A stridently moderate Labour Party, as floating voter friendly as they can possibly be, fights a GE against a Tory Party who've been in power for 14 years, with the backdrop of a struggling economy, people worse off, and the Johnson and Truss debacles in recent memory.

The questions raised for Labour would be existential. Why are we here? Why do we bother? It'd be a period of real soul searching about the party, its values, its place and purpose. It would also raise some deep (almost philosophical) questions about what on earth goes on in the minds of the electorate when they vote.
    That is the 1992 scenario, but in reality if the Tories lose 50seats (which happens with a tied poll of 38%) then this government is over, even if Parliament is NOC.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,654
    TOPPING said:

I bloody love voter ID/personation debates.

Because have I ever mentioned that it happened to me. Turned up to vote and was told I had already voted. So it does happen (sample size/frequency me/PB contributors = 1/???).

Was it cock up or conspiracy? No idea. My gut feel is cock up but it could have been conspiracy. My constituency was a super-marginal also so it might easily have made a difference.

Of course probably cock up, but everyone at the polling station took it super seriously, phone calls were made, special authorisation for me to vote "again" was given.

I'm glad this thread has given me the opportunity to air this never-before-revealed incident.

Cockup probably. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more. Easy to cross through the wrong voter. Good to know it was taken seriously.
  • Options
    On voter ID

Ed Jennings
    @Ed_Jennings
    Fun fact: Took my Voter Authority Certificate to test it out. Apparently I was the first voter to turn up with one, and (more worryingly) the polling station staff hadn’t been told what one looked like.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited May 2023

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Would annoy the Chinese government far more if it showed Tibet and Xinjiang independent.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Important to give feedback to the team politely but forcibly, and ask them to feedback your views on ID to the returning officer.
    I asked. They said they were not permitted to feed my complaint back.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Just voted.

Even the staff were

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I hope they are feeding back the number of voters they have to turn away or is that information also not being recorded?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Of course not. They need to be able to report that there were no problems and nobody was unhappy about it. That means not noting any incidents or comments.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Just voted.

Even the staff were

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I hope they are feeding back the number of voters they have to turn away or is that information also not being recorded?
    Doesn’t seem like it from what they said, although I didn’t ask that specific question.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Just voted.

Who checks them, as a matter of interest ?
    The people who gave me my ballot paper checked mine. They both looked at my driving licence and agreed I was who I said I was.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Just voted.

Even the staff were

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Of course it isn't.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

No, it's rather whether the US responds to China proceeding to war. It's not going to be the other way around.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,474
    There seems a strong case to me that Western nations should sell (at least the Taiwanese don't need billions of free handouts) Taiwan what it needs in terms of weaponry to put an invasion by China beyond the realms of possibility. I haven't seen an argument against this that measures up.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I always do that when I collect a parcel from the Post Office. How dare they ask me to prove who I am. What a shambles it is.
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Well I support voter ID.
    But whatever one's opinion, I hope that no one is discourteous to the officials at the polling station; they are doing their jobs, as they are instructed to do them.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

I always do that when I collect a parcel from the Post Office. How dare they ask me to prove who I am. What a shambles it is.
    You have the option of not showing ID by booking a redelivery.

The alternative to proving your identity when voting is to vote by post.

Which is where almost every case of recorded voter fraud since 1918 has actually happened.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,474
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

No, it's rather whether the US responds to China proceeding to war. It's not going to be the other way around.
    Taiwan would not need the US to go to war on its behalf if it was bristling with a palisade of missiles and torpedos able to sink the Chinese Navy twice. They are a dignified independent democracy, with money - they should be permitted to purchase anything that can be provided.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

China blockades Taiwan and to do so destroys the US fleet and then does the US proceed to war with China as a result.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    edited May 2023

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Just voted.

Even the staff were

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Of course it isn't.
    I thought some brief report / note was made
    from each station on how the day had gone and any issues encountered, in case it was relevant to the counting. If so, voter ID issues and protests may feature but I'd doubt they would feed back at the behest of individual voters.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

I always find the idea that nationalism can be "modified" to a "rational" state amusing.

The concept of nationalism, as Orwell points out, has a large measure of faith in it. A semi-religious belief.

It is a bit like saying we are going to rationalise a religion.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TimS said:

Another currygate.

Good evening

Good morning

That is the 1992 scenario, but in reality if the Tories lose 50seats (which happens with a tied poll of 38%) then this government is over, even if Parliament is NOC.
    Yep - although a touch worse imo. 1992 was a shock but I can find some rational explanations for why it happened. This time I'm not sure I'd be able to. Depressing thought, so probably best not to dwell on it. Like you say, a hung parliament should be enough for a change of government. Let's see what these Locals tell us. I'm hoping for an NEV lead in double digits.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

There seems a strong case to me that Western nations should sell (at least the Taiwanese don't need billions of free handouts) Taiwan what it needs in terms of weaponry to put an invasion by China beyond the realms of possibility. I haven't seen an argument against this that measures up.

The problem with that is that if China wants to go to war over Taiwan, they will, regardless of what we do. As we saw with Russia and Ukraine; if an autocrat wants to take his country to war, he will.

And indeed, if we do send stuff, they'll use that as an excuse for war. And gullible idiots over here will shill those messages, to make the invasion 'our' fault.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,453

ydoethur said:

Just back from the pub. The whole place was in uproar about Sue Grey-gate. Some in tears, some shouting, one poor chap even hounded out of the entire premises by a burly bouncer for daring to suggest that her appointment was a full three months after the departure of Boris Johnson.

I dread to think what will happen in the upcoming days with this. The mood is such anger against Sue Grey that there could be civil disorder.

If it turns violent, is that Fifty Shades of Gray?
    Have you even read the book or seen the film?
    A badly written novel and in a me-too world, rather an offensive sexploitation movie.

Are you still attending the Cozza dressed like Aerosmith? I'll look out for a Steven Tyler lookalike on the telly.
    I think you’ve got your wires crossed. The bearskins should keep our head dry. We are not taking guns!

Are you sure your "bearskins" are for real? Odds they're really rabbitskins WAY more than 19 out of 20!
    Running your finger through it, you can tell it’s not been alive at any point.

This pic has really piqued your interest again. You must be a complete sucker for the trappings of British pageantry
    Bunnies and bears are both alive before being turned into hats.

Since you are such a mind reader, how many $500 bills am I thinking are currently in my wallet?
    None. Zero.
    You ARE a mind reader!
    And you are broke.
    You wouldn't make a mean, hurtful crack like that about Rishi Sunak!
    I would if I could.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,453
    Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

OK, all the bell weathers for tomorrow.

It is known that local elections and by elections are limited predictors of general elections, what I don't know historically is how good local by elections are at predicting local elections.

The Tories sit only 4 points behind Labour on a prior NEV plus vote share change in the last 3 months local by elections. The numbers are a bit swingy and the last few months include bigger proportions from London, Scotland and Wales than from the shires where LEs are taking place.

But as a left leaning worrier, I am taking very seriously the possibility that the Tories might suffer very few losses, even as everyone and his dog knows otherwise. Call it practice for the GE.

Truth be told, I expect Labour to do better than a 4 point NEV lead, but not so much better.

The LE VI surveys all have Labour a bit better. I think the doubt here is on the turnout filters. Opinium recorded very high turnout intention in giving Labour a healthy vote lead in the areas voting, but their write up was sceptical of their own results. Btw, I think this year's pattern means a Lab NEV lead would be
    around 5 points more than their raw vote lead.

So, the element of doubt against this measure is simply that the turnout filters might be less developed in these surveys, and the pollsters are less experienced in local VI polling by simple fact that they do it less.

In summary, I'm not taking a shellacking for granted, and I think the counter possibility is worth bearing in mind for betting purposes.

I'm expecting differential turnout to favour Labour - a lot of Lab voters are really keen to vote, and I've only met a few Tories who feel like that.
    Good luck for today, and for @icarus. 🤞
    And HY
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I bloody love voter ID/personation debates.

Because have I ever mentioned that it happened to me. Turned up to vote and was told I had already voted. So it does happen (sample size/frequency me/PB contributors = 1/???).

Was it cock up or conspiracy? No idea. My gut feel is cock up but it could have been conspiracy. My constituency was a super-marginal also so it might easily have made a difference.

Of course probably cock up, but everyone at the polling station took it super seriously, phone calls were made, special authorisation for me to vote "again" was given.

I'm glad this thread has given me the opportunity to air this never-before-revealed incident.

The thing that bemuses me with this debate is how circular it all is, nobody ever changes their mind.

You have mentioned time and again this happened with you. Time and again, people repeat its an "imaginary" problem that never happens.

Time and again I've mentioned it was the independent Electoral Commission that first said we should have voter ID. Time and again people claim it was the Tories and done to circumvent the Electoral Commission.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/media-centre/id-needed-polling-stations-recommends-independent-watchdog
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Perfectly sensible. The Returning Officer and staff will be well aware of views about it, many hate it themselves, and it doesn't matter whether people moan to a polling station volunteer (almost all of whom are not electoral staff) en masse as they have no discretion about it and it does the RO.

What they need to do is be told to moan to their MP.
  • Options
    The important part of the original post is the last paragraph.
This discussion has been closed.