Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The dramatic change in the polls since SKS became leader – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,497
    L

Leon said:

The coppers apparently knocked on the sturgeons door at 7.30am. So it really was pretty much a dawn raid. Nicola was there. She left at 8.30am

The optics are spectacularly bad

So she being knocked up at 7.30?
    Lol but yes. ITV:

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670
    edited April 2023

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Good evening, another day, another day of SKS being utterly useless.

Mods I don't like calling for action and in fact I think this is the first time ever. This poster is either a former poster given the name similarity or someone masquerading as him

I think you really need to clarify because if this is not the original poster then its an attempt at vilifying him. If it is the original poster then this pretence is causing more harm than good
    Of course you do.

If what you say is true, and this poster has another identity, so what? Why are you not calling out other posters who occasionally have a three way conversation with their alter egos?

I am specifically calling it for horse_b only for the following reasons

1) I am not sure if its an incarnation of CHB3 and if it is why is he posting the opposite of his usual

2) If its not an incarnation of CHB3 then a lot of people are assuming it is and thinking he has lost the plot. If I got banned and someone became pagan3 that was not me and started posting stuff that was the opposite I would hope someone would ask for clarity.

My problem is purely the name implies it is an incarnation of a banned poster and many are assuming it is. If the name was not implying so I would have no issue. If horse_b is indeed not CHB3 then he needs to be defended imo and this is coming from someone that doesn't really like him. Does that make it clear?
    I agree. If this is CHB4 and he's had a pro-Tory epiphany, that's fine. But it sounds way more like someone is trolling with a Horse-shaped sock puppet. Which if true is not funny.
    Agree. I am with you and @Pagan2 on this and credit to Pagan for bring this up. If it isn't CHB it is rather nasty.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,896

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Woke is collapsing in on itself. Simply delightful.
    I honestly don't think it is, sadly.
    Perhaps the cause of woke is advancing less fast. But it's everywhere.
    I mean, I just looked up from writing this and saw this:

It's the start of a trend. These bullshit flags are everywhere but although people show them no-one really takes them seriously.

It just says, "Oh, look at me! I'm inclusive!"

Doesn't really mean anything.
    Serious question. If it doesn't mean anything then why does it bother you? I am certainly no admirer of the current 'woke' debate when it has real world physical consequences in terms of removal of statues or changing books. But when it comes to people putting up flags to show their support for a particular issue - even if it is one I disagree with - then I really don't see why anyone should be hassled by that. Clearly the companies feel there is mileage in doing this and my attitude is good luck to them.

People really do need to stop being offended by stuff so much. And that applies equally to the 'woke' and the 'anti-woke'
    People can signal their virtue by displaying a flag (or deliberately not displaying one) or what have, there's no point getting worked up about that. Actual law and policy changes which are harmful or nonsensical should be the focus.
    Agreed, but “woke capitalism” is a case of “the louder he talked of his honour, the faster we counted our spoons”.

Giving a few thousand to Stonewall is like buying indulgences.
    My experience has been precisely this.

The worst leaders I've worked for in my career have been the most publicly "Wokey", which is one reason I have such contempt for it. I don't respect it.

People think that must mean I'm a secret bigot. Nothing could be further from the truth and then need to see through - and not be taken in - by such shallowness or my contempt will extend to them too.
    You get banks with dirty reputations flying rainbow flags, companies that boast of their “ethical credentials” employing children in poor countries, turning a blind eye to sexual harassment, or routing their profits through tax havens..

The worst I know was a truly horrid law firm called MacMillan Williams, which has thankfully gone
    bankrupt. They were so woke that on their very extensive diversity monitoring forms, they were asking intrusive questions about peoples’ sexual practices.

There are still significant issues with sexism and racism in the NHS, and more to be done, but things are far, far better then they were 3 decades ago.
    I agree, and the Wokery has precisely nothing to do with fixing that.
    There are two problems:-

1. It’s performative.

2. Antnomianism. The belief that “to the pure all things are pure.” If your beliefs are pure, your conduct really does not matter. I don’t doubt that people like Weinstein or Polanski think they’re good people because they’ve always backed what they see as noble causes.

Of course, you can find it among their opponents. Some of the wickedest people that you’ll ever encounter are found among social conservatives who call themselves devoutly religious.

What I admire is the historic nonconformist (especially Quaker) belief that good work and good works are one and the same. You treat staff, customers, creditors fairly, and you don’t brag about it.
    Exactly so. The Quakers got it right.
    What gives Quakers their special characteristic: Everyone approves of them and admires them and thinks they ought to keep up the good work, but no-one wants to be one or join them?
    Kind of interesting considering how even for a religiously febrile time many were really outraged by the early Quakers to the point that despite rapid early growth I'm almost surprised they managed to keep going.
    Been to pay homage to George Fox's cell at Scarborough Castle. He was such a PITA they banged him up.

And as a bonus there were bee orchids in the grass outside!

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/scarborough-castle/history/
    Bee orchids? Excellent. I haven't seen one for years. Will look out for them when I'm in Scarborough. Presume it was early summer you saw them?
    It was some years ago now. Probably indeed at that sort of time - before peak holidays but with plenty of fish and chips etc available. But as I recall the sward at that corner of the castle bailey was pretty long - flower meadow mode. The cell IIRC is in the corner where the curtain wall meets the hillside to the south, so look around in that area.

The Rotunda museum (a little to the south of the main drag and big hotels) is a little treasure BTW - spiral display of the local geological strata in the round building from 200 years and William Smith times, more or less. And other coastal heritage as they put it.

https://scarboroughmuseumsandgalleries.org.uk/visit/rotunda-museum/
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,926
    A
    Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

The coppers apparently knocked on the sturgeons door at 7.30am. So it really was pretty much a dawn raid. Nicola was there. She left at 8.30am

For who? I'm not sure.
    The whole CSI thing, with the forensic tents etc, seems to be a bit weird for a long running fraud case.
    I just wonder if it will be the police who end up looking stupid, not the SNP.
    Lol no. This is very definitely BAD for the SNP
    It's bad for everyone if there isn't a conclusion.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,805
    edited April 2023
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

It's the start of a trend. These bullshit flags are everywhere but although people show them no-one really takes them seriously.

Serious question. If it doesn't mean anything then why does it bother you? I am certainly no admirer of the current 'woke' debate when it has real world physical consequences in terms of removal of statues or changing books. But when it comes to people putting up flags to show their support for a particular issue - even if it is one I disagree with - then I really don't see why anyone should be hassled by that. Clearly the companies feel there is mileage in doing this and my attitude is good luck to them.

People really do need to stop being offended by stuff so much. And that applies equally to the 'woke' and the 'anti-woke'
    People can signal their virtue by displaying a flag (or deliberately not displaying one) or what have, there's no point getting worked up about that. Actual law and policy changes which are harmful or nonsensical should be the focus.
    Agreed, but “woke capitalism” is a case of “the louder he talked of his honour, the faster we counted our spoons”.

The worst leaders I've worked for in my career have been the most publicly "Wokey", which is one reason I have such contempt for it. I don't respect it.

People think that must mean I'm a secret bigot. Nothing could be further from the truth and then need to see through - and not be taken in - by such shallowness or my contempt will extend to them too.
    You get banks with dirty reputations flying rainbow flags, companies that boast of their “ethical credentials” employing children in poor countries, turning a blind eye to sexual harassment, or routing their profits through tax havens..

The worst I know was a truly horrid law firm called MacMillan Williams, which has thankfully gone
    bankrupt. They were so woke that on their very extensive diversity monitoring forms, they were asking intrusive questions about peoples’ sexual practices.

There are still significant issues with sexism and racism in the NHS, and more to be done, but things are far, far better then they were 3 decades ago.

1. It’s performative.

2. Antnomianism. The belief that “to the pure all things are pure.” If your beliefs are pure, your conduct really does not matter. I don’t doubt that people like Weinstein or Polanski think they’re good people because they’ve always backed what they see as noble causes.

Of course, you can find it among their opponents. Some of the wickedest people that you’ll ever encounter are found among social conservatives who call themselves devoutly religious.

What I admire is the historic nonconformist (especially Quaker) belief that good work and good works are one and the same. You treat staff, customers, creditors fairly, and you don’t brag about it.
    What gives Quakers their special characteristic: Everyone approves of them and admires them and thinks they ought to keep up the good work, but no-one wants to be one or join them?
    On the contrary. They are extremely annoying people. A particular pain in 1890-1920 or so, with their pacifism and their pointing out certain facts about British-built concentration camps* in South Africa and the Boer lands.

*The name used at the time. And the death rate, particularly for children, was hideous because of the conditions.

Good for the Society of Friends.

I don't suppose CR is a ban the bomber? But that is what many Quakers are. And when it comes to social justice ...

https://www.quaker.org.uk/news-and-events/news/quakers-address-the-monarch-at-buckingham-palace
    Not all Quakers are pacifists, by any means.

Sir Richard Body was a Quaker.
    Wasn't Nixon a Quaker too?
    He was certainly a birthright Quaker, and brought up as a Quaker, but didn't attend any Quaker Meeting during his political career.

Herbert Hoover too.

• Options
    edited April 2023

Leon said:

Without pre-judging, it's sobering to think that if the IndyRef had gone the other way we would have been governed ever since by a troika comprising Salmond, Sturgeon and Murrell.
    Doubt it. Normal politicvs would have resumed, only with truly homegrown parties of all ilks. The SNP would not have survived [edit: without a split or two]. Bear in mind nobody in their right mind would have established FPTP.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,912
    edited April 2023

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

1. It’s performative.

Kind of interesting considering how even for a religiously febrile time many were really outraged by the early Quakers to the point that despite rapid early growth I'm almost surprised they managed to keep going.
    Been to pay homage to George Fox's cell at Scarborough Castle. He was such a PITA they banged him up.

Bee orchids? Excellent. I haven't seen one for years. Will look out for them when I'm in Scarborough. Presume it was early summer you saw them?
    They are reasonably common in grasslands and waste ground (at least, in England) but often quite difficult to spot. We had some in the garden for a while and you wouldn't have noticed them at all at first glance.

As this was published recently, I might as well link to it:
    https://plantatlas2020.org/atlas/2cd4p9h.5fd
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,670
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

As an antidote, there are kids who survive abuse and end up fine

An acquaintance of mine was abused by her grandfather for years. She is now happily married with her own kids and no apparent issues. It happens. People survive

Yes, some people are very resilient.

On the other hand, for a lot it ruins their life. When I was doing psychiatry I was told to ask every patient about sexual abuse. I was surprised by how often the answer came back that they had been abused, mostly by family members. Even depressed people in their sixties, and often it was the first time that anyone had asked them.
    A friend of mine committed suicide in her 50s as a consequence. It haunted her, her whole life.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Mods I don't like calling for action and in fact I think this is the first time ever. This poster is either a former poster given the name similarity or someone masquerading as him

I think you really need to clarify because if this is not the original poster then its an attempt at vilifying him. If it is the original poster then this pretence is causing more harm than good
    Of course you do.

If what you say is true, and this poster has another identity, so what? Why are you not calling out other posters who occasionally have a three way conversation with their alter egos?

1) I am not sure if its an incarnation of CHB3 and if it is why is he posting the opposite of his usual

2) If its not an incarnation of CHB3 then a lot of people are assuming it is and thinking he has lost the plot. If I got banned and someone became pagan3 that was not me and started posting stuff that was the opposite I would hope someone would ask for clarity.

My problem is purely the name implies it is an incarnation of a banned poster and many are assuming it is. If the name was not implying so I would have no issue. If horse_b is indeed not CHB3 then he needs to be defended imo and this is coming from someone that doesn't really like him. Does that make it clear?
    I agree. If this is CHB4 and he's had a pro-Tory epiphany, that's fine. But it sounds way more like someone is trolling with a Horse-shaped sock puppet. Which if true is not funny.
    If it really is a sock puppet that isnt chb then yes it needs exposing because we all assume its him
    In the first few posts I thought it was him, but him saying very little. Now? Doesn't sound remotely like Horse. Sounds like Sean...
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    kjh said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Of course you do.

Agree. I am with you and @Pagan2 on this and credit to Pagan for bring this up. If it isn't CHB it is rather nasty.
    We all have our identies here and while we for various reasons dont have rl ones I think it important that what people thinks comes from us truly does come from us
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

1. It’s performative.

On the contrary. They are extremely annoying people. A particular pain in 1890-1920 or so, with their pacifism and their pointing out certain facts about British-built concentration camps* in South Africa and the Boer lands.

*The name used at the time. And the death rate, particularly for children, was hideous because of the conditions.

I don't suppose CR is a ban the bomber? But that is what many Quakers are. And when it comes to social justice ...

https://www.quaker.org.uk/news-and-events/news/quakers-address-the-monarch-at-buckingham-palace

His father was.
    Nixon was primarily a shit.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Of course you do.

If it really is a sock puppet that isnt chb then yes it needs exposing because we all assume its him
    In the first few posts I thought it was him, but him saying very little. Now? Doesn't sound remotely like Horse. Sounds like Sean...
    It may well be but no one should use and identity that close that people are unsure. That was my point
  • Options

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

1. It’s performative.

They are reasonably common in grasslands and waste ground (at least, in England) but often quite difficult to spot. We had some in the garden for a while and you wouldn't have noticed them at all at first glance.

A real treat for people who live in Scotland, as your map shows!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

1. It’s performative.

He was certainly a birthright Quaker, and brought up as a Quaker, but didn't attend any Quaker Meeting during his political career.

Herbert Hoover too.

His father converted from Methodism.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

A

Leon said:

darkage said:

Leon said:

For who? I'm not sure.
    The whole CSI thing, with the forensic tents etc, seems to be a bit weird for a long running fraud case.
    I just wonder if it will be the police who end up looking stupid, not the SNP.
    Lol no. This is very definitely BAD for the SNP
    It's bad for everyone if there isn't a conclusion.
    Sure. But there is no universe in which this is anything but bad for the Nats. They’re not ever going to come out as martyrs persecuted by evil police

The evidence is all there already in the public domain. Sturgeons sudden resignation. Murrell’s sudden resignation. All the many unanswered questions over years

I suppose it might end up bad for the coppers as well but this will always be a nightmare for the SNP
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,222
    Murrell released without charge. Wasn’t that a lot of excitement over nothing?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Pending investigations
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,424

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Of course you do.

We all know it's him.

He's experimenting with a different method and trying to get as much attention as possible, as usual.
    In transactional analysis terms we would say that he is seeking negative strokes (such as aggression) by attempting to provoke conflict, most likely because he is lacking in positive strokes (such as praise, or affirmation) and lacking the confidence that he will receive positive strokes if he looks for, or asks for, them.

He should phone his mother, or find a friend to talk to.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Of course you do.

It may well be but no one should use and identity that close that people are unsure. That was my point
    if it is not chb3 then I would suggest mods have a quiet word just get him or her or it or they to create a new identity
  • Options
    Traffic accident even DuraAce might be proud of.
    Bonus marks for the tyre rebound.

Witnessed and recorded the most INSANE car crash yesterday, you can see Autopilot also swerve and avoid the rogue tire for me..
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Anoop_Khatra/status/1639460487166586881
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,313
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Pending investigations
    The theatrical drama of erecting blue tents was quite probably unnecessary.
  • Options
    Horse_BHorse_B Posts: 106
    I am long time lurker but it seems to me that this site has a very pro-Labour bias.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,944
    "Tory MP Scott Benton filmed offering to lobby ministers"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65193097
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,351

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Pending investigations
    Closet Tories doing subliminal messaging?
  • Options
    Horse is a good friend of mine, still hope he will be able to rejoin on his own terms?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Tory MP Scott Benton filmed offering to lobby ministers"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65193097

The minciest of mince MPs. When he gets demolished at the next GE he will be aggrieved that he has had his seat stolen from him. As opposed to giving it away by being such a pratt.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,732
    Horse_B said:

Horse is a good friend of mine, still hope he will be able to rejoin on his own terms?

He’s a friend of yours?

Why did you sign up with a very similar username?

Very odd.
  • Options
    ping said:

Horse_B said:

He’s a friend of yours?

Why did you sign up with a very similar username?

Very odd.
    Thank you for your kind compliment!
  • Options
    Horse_B said:

This is why we know this is not Horse.

"Rejoin on his own terms" would be to create @CorrectHorseBattery4.

Not masquerade as a Larry Grayson impersonation of Horse saying the exact opposite of what Horse says and thinks and believes.
  • Options

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Pending investigations
    How can we know?

I read a highly plausible explanation that said this is standard when cops believe fraud has taken place - including the destruction of documents and evidence. The tent is a neutral place they can cleanly isolate what evidence they DO find

I just don’t believe Scottish police would put on a special theatre to punish the SNP. Why? What for? They will play it absolutely by the book knowing how politically explosive it is. They have to be seen as scrupulously neutral
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Horse_B said:

Not masquerade as a Larry Grayson impersonation of Horse saying the exact opposite of what Horse says and thinks and believes.
    Our friend @Horse_B hasn't always said the exact opposite of what Horse says though, has he?
  • Options
    Horse_B said:

I am long time lurker but it seems to me that this site has a very pro-Labour bias.

Whoever it is, this one tick Tory pony should be put out to pasture.

We can hopefully look forward to the revival of CHB, CHB2 or CHB3 or a regeneration to CHB4.

• Options

Horse_B said:

I don't think so either which is why I suggested the mods get involved....to me at least impersonating another user should be verboten or as in this case making people think you are another user
  • Options
    Horse_B said:

Just in tune with the times. So does the country.
  • Options
    New from @MarshallCohen
    : "Dominion can force Fox Corporation executives Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch to testify on the witness stand at this month’s scheduled defamation trial, a Delaware judge said Wednesday."

https://mobile.twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1643684771044663296

The worldwide popcorn industry having a bumper year so far.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @CorrectHorseBattery3 is an absolute prat
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

Carnyx said:

kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Sean_F said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

1. It’s performative.

One of those plants that looks dramatic in photos but actually tricky to spot in the field until you get your eye in. Scottish primrose and sundew are other examples.

On the subject of orchids I was quite surprised at how fragrant the Fragrant Orchid actually is. Worth checking out if you find some flower spikes though it does involve a certain amount of undignified crouching to get near enough.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

@CorrectHorseBattery3 is an absolute cunt

Well there goes horse_b
    You've changed my post!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Horse_B said:

Oh it's always weird when posters go the sort-of-meta route.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Well there goes horse_b
    Did the master of puppets have his sock puppet exposed?

And it was so small.

The sock puppet too...
  • Options
    Horse_B said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Well there goes horse_b
    You've changed my post!
    No just quoted it before you editted
  • Options
    Horse_B said:

Off to the knackers yard it is then.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

@CorrectHorseBattery3 is an absolute c@nt

Well there goes horse_b
    You've changed my post!
    You might want to edit your quote, too, while you have time. (As I have.)
    The site owners **really** don't like people using the word.
  • Options
    Tory members have chosen Suella Braverman over Flick Drummond as candidate for Gosport and Waterlooville.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

Shock poll from France:

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1643630500857118721

France, Elabe poll:

Presidential run-off election

Le Pen (RN-ID): 55% (+14)
    Macron (RE-RE): 45% (-14)

+/- vs. 2022 election

It's a shock that you think it has any relevance
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Well there goes horse_b
    You've changed my post!
    Good! So ban the Horse sock puppet. Its not like he doesn't have other profiles he can post with.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,732
    Pickled herring is amazing.

That is all.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Well there goes horse_b
    You've changed my post!
    Good! So ban the Horse sock puppet. Its not like he doesn't have other profiles he can post with.
    I do not like the idea you want me banned just because I don't agree with you politically. I haven't, to the best of my knowledge, said anything negative towards you.

I am Horse_B as Horse and Horse_A were both taken, I am sorry I don't have anything to do with CorrectHorseBattery beyond seeing him whilst I was lurking for some years. He was a good poster but clearly brainwashed by the left wing cult.
  • Options
    I am sorry some people don't agree with me but I am here to stay.
  • Options
    ping said:

That is all.

Comment of the day. Have a cigar
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Pagan2 said:

Horse_B said:

Well there goes horse_b
    You've changed my post!
    I was concerned for Pagan2.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,374
    ping said:

That is all.

Have you tried the pickled herring with sherry? It adds a little sweetness and is sensational.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

The Walsall child sex abuse case is grotesque. It sounds like abuse within families over multiple generations. Like something from darkest Appalachia

It shows the crassness of trying to link rape cases to ethnicity as Sunak and Braverman did yesterday backed up today by a really vile article by Alison Pearson in the Telegraph
    Does anyone seriously dispute that most child sex abuse in the U.K. is by whites? Simply by the majority population. But there has been a particular type of crime associated with groups of largely Pakistani origin men. I note that the current case is very different to those cases, being much more family based.

I don’t get why some people find it difficult to accept that there has been, and probably still is, an issue with a minority of Pakistani men. Saying doesn’t mean diminish in any way the horror of all other sexual abuse.
    I don't believe anyone on this board is trying to diminish the wickedness of abusers who happen to be of a specific racial origin. I don't believe anyone on here is absolving Labour Councillors if they turned a blind eye to this abuse on the grounds of creed or race. You yourself have highlighted the people involved as a "minority" of the stated group.

On the other hand a particular politician is being called out for politicising the criminality by taxi drivers in Rochdale and Rotherham for her own ends. That is perhaps as worrying and as outrageous as those Labour Councillors who turned a blind eye in the first place.
    We can certainly agree it shouldn't be politicized. However can I ask what you do when a particular community has an issue. To raise that is politicising it and it doesn't matter if that community is white, black asian or martian.

An example of this is for example knife crime....in london the main perpertrators were black, in scotland they were white from a certain demographic....stop and search in scotland wasn't an issue, in london it was. That was purely on the racial aspect.

Now do I think black people are inherently bad, no absolutely not. However if in an area 80% of white people are carrying and 10% of black people are and the mix of the area is 20% white and 80% black then I would fully expect that about 80% of white people in that area had been stop and searched for weapons
    You could link your assertion to all sorts of other common denominators, for example, poverty, access to education, a whole range of issues, but you have chosen to focus on race. That is entirely your prerogative.

The Home Secretary on the other hand, who has up to the minute data available to her, has chosen to mischievously ignore issues other than the racial origin of a notorious group of criminals. She has followed this path because she believes it is politically expedient so to do.
    It would be very odd in the case of Rotherham or Rochdale or Telford or Oxford to conclude that the main factor was poverty or access to education.
    Fair enough, pick some other common denominator like taxi driver, evil sexual predator. or entitled male.
    We don't have the stats but given the high profile nature of cases involving grooming gangs, we have an idea about those reported.

All child abusers are evil. However, the British-Pakistani groups deliberately targeted girls outside their group (it gets forgotten they also raped Sikh girls). So, for want of a better phrase, there was a hate crime element going on.
  • Options
    The basic rules of PB, from five years ago:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/1895932#Comment_1895932

I don't think they've changed much. The ones that are missing are 'don't dox' and 'don't drop c-bombs' (which is a real challenge for me when I'm talking about the DfE, I might add).
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,785
    edited April 2023
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

The Walsall child sex abuse case is grotesque. It sounds like abuse within families over multiple generations. Like something from darkest Appalachia

It shows the crassness of trying to link rape cases to ethnicity as Sunak and Braverman did yesterday backed up today by a really vile article by Alison Pearson in the Telegraph
    Doesn't it show the precise opposite? In a country which is 85% white you'd expect most criminals to also be white.
    No one is trying to pretend that all grooming gangs are of Pakistani origin. That would be ridiculous. What they are saying is that they are grossly disproportionate to their share of the population. Which they very clearly are. Particularly in certain towns where there has clearly been a deeply poisonous culture which somehow made this ok.
    Suella Braverman does pretend precisely this and she's the Home Secretary.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11928629/SUELLA-BRAVERMAN-mission-ensure-really-no-hiding-place-gangs-grooming-young-girls.html

In terms of sexual crimes against children generally, Asian perpetrators seem to be roughly in proportion to their population. There could be a particular propensity to grooming but the data isn't very good.
  • Options
    ping said:

That is all.

I had it for lunch. The Elsinore one with red onions. Very nice, but sadly the end of the jar.

• Options
    ping said:

That is all.

Rollmop ?

• Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Doesn't it show the precise opposite? In a country which is 85% white you'd expect most criminals to also be white.
    No one is trying to pretend that all grooming gangs are of Pakistani origin. That would be ridiculous. What they are saying is that they are grossly disproportionate to their share of the population. Which they very clearly are. Particularly in certain towns where there has clearly been a deeply poisonous culture which somehow made this ok.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-11928629/SUELLA-BRAVERMAN-mission-ensure-really-no-hiding-place-gangs-grooming-young-girls.html

In terms of sexual crimes against children generally, Asian perpetrators seem to be roughly in proportion to their population. There could be a particular propensity to grooming but the data isn't very good.
    Something between 5-10% of all the Pakistani Muslim men in Rotherham, aged 18-65, have been charged with rape, abuse, torture etc in the recent trials and arrests. These are the ones police have enough evidence to prosecute

Does that not seem a striking statistic to you?
  • Options
    Interesting point - this is good policy, as well as sneaky politics.

In @monthly, Will Norris reveals something the press missed about Biden’s big spending bills: they target far larger %s of funding to local government than any federal legislation in generations. The political and policy implications are enormous. /1
    https://mobile.twitter.com/glastris/status/1643679989450121230
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,597
    Sigh. I can't be arsed with this.

Night all.
  • Options
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Something between 5-10% of all the Pakistani Muslim men in Rotherham, aged 18-65, have been charged with rape, abuse, torture etc in the recent trials and arrests. These are the ones police have enough evidence to prosecute

I think that stat is wrong

@CDP1882
    18/ When it came to Pakistanis, rates of prosecution across England and Wales for this kind of abuse was 1 in 1,700.

In Rochdale, 1 in 280 Muslim males over 16 were prosecuted.

In Telford, it was 1 in 126.

In Rotherham, 1 in 73.

https://twitter.com/CDP1882/status/1642900355682820097
  • Options
    Horse_B said:

Ironic, as a last post. Up there with the famous last words of John Sedgwick, 'Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.'
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

I don't accept your assertion (other than the Home Secretary being a moron and completely unfit for her job, of course). I remember doing an analysis a year or two ago with one of the towns in northern England and something like 20% of the men in the town who identified as being of Pakistani origin in the census had been convicted. It was astounding. It is simply not true to say that it is "roughly in proportion" although it may be patchy.

It also suggested to me that this was a cultural thing. These men regard these girls as white trash. Where that mindset is predominant many can get swept along into things that they would never have conceived of and many more turn their heads and pretend not to see. We need to address this. And of course the non Asian gangs such as were convicted today.
  • Options

Leon said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

@CDP1882
    18/ When it came to Pakistanis, rates of prosecution across England and Wales for this kind of abuse was 1 in 1,700.

In Rotherham, 1 in 73.

It’s very hard to quantify because you have to average it over time. Decades even

I saw that stat in an unherd article. I’ll try and unearth the unherd

But you know what? - even 1 in 73 is deeply disturbing
  • Options

Sigh. I can't be arsed with this.

Night all.

Is that a direct quote from Nicola to her husband?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Horse_B said:

Ironic, as a last post. Up there with the famous last words of John Sedgwick, 'Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.'
    No no no. It was better than that

“They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dist-“
  • Options
    Human memory may be unreliable after just a few seconds, scientists find
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/apr/05/short-term-memory-illusions-study
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    edited April 2023
    Can one measure the schadenfreude on PB on any given day? My personal schadenfreude level is at 100% today.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

I don't accept your assertion (other than the Home Secretary being a moron and completely unfit for her job, of course). I remember doing an analysis a year or two ago with one of the towns in northern England and something like 20% of the men in the town who identified as being of Pakistani origin in the census had been convicted. It was astounding. It is simply not true to say that it is "roughly in proportion" although it may be patchy.

It also suggested to me that this was a cultural thing. These men regard these girls as white trash. Where that mindset is predominant many can get swept along into things that they would never have conceived of and many more turn their heads and pretend not to see. We need to address this. And of course the non Asian gangs such as were convicted today.
    Indeed. There was a New Statesman article in the noughties where a Pakistani writer admitted that this grooming and abuse was known and tolerated throughout his community. As long as the men left Muslim girls alone then it was ok. He wrote of it jokingly

At the time I thought the writer was on drugs. Or it was a parody. Now I realise he was stating the plain truth

It has since been vehemently scrubbed from the internet
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,004
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Exactly, it's not either or. People act like recognising there has been a disproportion in some areas means there won't be focus on others. I should think we all agree that would be absurd.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Horse_B said:

No no no. It was better than that

“They couldn’t hit an elephant at this dist-“
    He finished the sentence and was shot two minutes later. It's not thought he said anything in the meanwhile though. His aide had just turned to him to say, 'General, they're using exploding bullets' when he was shot in the face.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/apr/05/short-term-memory-illusions-study

Nicola Sturgeon can't recall if she took part in this study.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

I don't accept your assertion (other than the Home Secretary being a moron and completely unfit for her job, of course).
    Also, I'm not sure that counts as a mere assertion, it might a fundamental physical law.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,504
    Foxy said:

ping said:

That is all.

I had it for lunch. The Elsinore one with red onions. Very nice, but sadly the end of the jar.

Any recommendations for easily available rollmops in the English suburbs?

I had my first ever rollmops at the Ceilidh Place, Ullapool, during the 1992 Olympics. They were superb. But the rollmops I've had since have been inconsistent. I'm sometimes tempted to buy supermarket rollmops and they're almost always almost unbearably sour. I'm still a fan in principle, but I'm disappointed far more often than not.
    If anyone is able to recommend any sources of good, sweet, not hopelessly acidic rollmops I'd be very interested.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

As anyone who has ever mislaid the glasses they still have on their head, or misplaced the keys they set down seconds ago, could already attest.

The human brain seems to have an amazing ability to decide what should be the case, and forget or ignore evidence to the contrary and just make stuff up confidently instead.

In which case our nascent attempts at AI appear to be replicating the human condition pretty well.
  • Options
    Alba to be up by 20 once it is accounted for I have no doubt.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,706
    ping said:

That is all.

I've got pickled hearing due to tinnitus. I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Does anyone seriously dispute that most child sex abuse in the U.K. is by whites? Simply by the majority population. But there has been a particular type of crime associated with groups of largely Pakistani origin men. I note that the current case is very different to those cases, being much more family based.

I don’t get why some people find it difficult to accept that there has been, and probably still is, an issue with a minority of Pakistani men. Saying doesn’t mean diminish in any way the horror of all other sexual abuse.
    I don't believe anyone on this board is trying to diminish the wickedness of abusers who happen to be of a specific racial origin. I don't believe anyone on here is absolving Labour Councillors if they turned a blind eye to this abuse on the grounds of creed or race. You yourself have highlighted the people involved as a "minority" of the stated group.

On the other hand a particular politician is being called out for politicising the criminality by taxi drivers in Rochdale and Rotherham for her own ends. That is perhaps as worrying and as outrageous as those Labour Councillors who turned a blind eye in the first place.
    We can certainly agree it shouldn't be politicized. However can I ask what you do when a particular community has an issue. To raise that is politicising it and it doesn't matter if that community is white, black asian or martian.

An example of this is for example knife crime....in london the main perpertrators were black, in scotland they were white from a certain demographic....stop and search in scotland wasn't an issue, in london it was. That was purely on the racial aspect.

Now do I think black people are inherently bad, no absolutely not. However if in an area 80% of white people are carrying and 10% of black people are and the mix of the area is 20% white and 80% black then I would fully expect that about 80% of white people in that area had been stop and searched for weapons
    You could link your assertion to all sorts of other common denominators, for example, poverty, access to education, a whole range of issues, but you have chosen to focus on race. That is entirely your prerogative.

The Home Secretary on the other hand, who has up to the minute data available to her, has chosen to mischievously ignore issues other than the racial origin of a notorious group of criminals. She has followed this path because she believes it is politically expedient so to do.
    It would be very odd in the case of Rotherham or Rochdale or Telford or Oxford to conclude that the main factor was poverty or access to education.
    Fair enough, pick some other common denominator like taxi driver, evil sexual predator. or entitled male.
    We don't have the stats but given the high profile nature of cases involving grooming gangs, we have an idea about those reported.

All child abusers are evil. However, the British-Pakistani groups deliberately targeted girls outside their group (it gets forgotten they also raped Sikh girls). So, for want of a better phrase, there was a hate crime element going on.
    Whereas you are not wrong, and Labour, yes exclusively Labour Councils and the police facilitated these people, it is nonetheless unwise for a highly politicised Home Secretary to stereotype an entire creed by implying that culturally the creed is uniformly potentially culpable.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Exactly, it's not either or. People act like recognising there has been a disproportion in some areas means there won't be focus on others. I should think we all agree that would be absurd.
    Agreed.
    Among many aspects of these cases, one which particularly rankles with many is not specifically the ethnicity of the perpetrators - but that the abuse was explicitly overlooked BECAUSE OF the ethnicity of the perpetrators, in order to not be racist.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Indeed. There was a New Statesman article in the noughties where a Pakistani writer admitted that this grooming and abuse was known and tolerated throughout his community. As long as the men left Muslim girls alone then it was ok. He wrote of it jokingly

At the time I thought the writer was on drugs. Or it was a parody. Now I realise he was stating the plain truth

It has since been vehemently scrubbed from the internet
    At least one of the Pakistani heritage gangs was explicitly targeting white girls. Specifically the kind of dirt poor girls who would both be easy prey for a bit of attention and who nobody would believe.

And the majority of child abuse - which isn't these gangs - gets away because nobody believes it. Braverman said what she said because the "predatory Pakistanis" line has been swallowed by some Tory voters, and she can package this with attacking leftie social workers ignoring it because of PC.

Which ensures that more children will be abused. Political point scoring where the victims - children - do not matter. The latest convicted gang was white and many female. Not Pakistani heritage men despite the shrieking of Braverman.

We need to have police who aren't under-resourced and riddled with out-dated approaches to the poor / women / minorities. And we need social services with actual staff which means funding them . Braverman is in the government partly responsible for the mess, so best to point the finger at this other group instead.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ping said:

That is all.

I had my first ever rollmops at the Ceilidh Place, Ullapool, during the 1992 Olympics. They were superb. But the rollmops I've had since have been inconsistent. I'm sometimes tempted to buy supermarket rollmops and they're almost always almost unbearably sour. I'm still a fan in principle, but I'm disappointed far more often than not.
    If anyone is able to recommend any sources of good, sweet, not hopelessly acidic rollmops I'd be very interested.
    The Elsinore one was from Waitrose and deliciously sweet, but in 3cm sections, not a true roll mops. The one from Iea in mustard sauce is very good too, though the other one is rather bitter. Serve with Scandinavian crispbread.
  • Options
    The Daily Kos's coverage of the Ukraine war has been outstanding, probably consistently the best I have found on the net. This particular piece is of particular importance: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/4/5/2162186/-Ukraine-Update-What-happens-next-in-Russia-s-invasion-of-Ukraine-may-be-down-to-a-single-word-Ammo

Basically, Russia is running out of ammo. Ukraine is struggling too but the efforts of the west make this more a short term problem. Russia really cannot fight a war without overwhelming artillery. it's what they do.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,061

Leon said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

@CDP1882

In Rotherham, 1 in 73.

1 in 73 is still an extraordinary number.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,082
    Pagan2 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

Because if you link rape to Pakistani men the 99.9% of Pakistani men who would never commit a rape are offended. It tars the innocent with the same brush and it is therefore grossly offensive.

I heard something on the radio about a fraudster in Ireland who was called 'Israel' and it was assumed he was Jewish. They had the head of the Jewish community in Ireland saying how offensive such a trope was. And that was a single fraudster. Well the villification of Pakistani Muslim men goes way beyond that
    What are you talking about. So far as I am aware people having merely being pointing out a fact, that various grooming gangs have been exclusively (or almost) made up of Pakistani men. Is it wrong to say that?
    I ignore Roger on anything to do with rape, he has defended polanksi and tried to imply
    Lpeople are judging after the rape in scotland got only a 7 week community service penalty. Roger thinks women get what they deserve from what I can see
    He’s also said that young women working in the film industry should accept being sexually abused as it’s part of paying their dues.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

As anyone who has ever mislaid the glasses they still have on their head, or misplaced the keys they set down seconds ago, could already attest.

The human brain seems to have an amazing ability to decide what should be the case, and forget or ignore evidence to the contrary and just make stuff up confidently instead.

In which case our nascent attempts at AI appear to be replicating the human condition pretty well.
    I spend around 20% of my free time these days looking for my glasses.

Actually, that's no longer true, because my wife has instigated THE GLASSES BOWL where any glasses not being used are to be kept, and any glasses found not in THE GLASSES BOWL are kept. And lo, the forgetful and longsighted members of our family (self and middle daughter) always have a first place to look.
    It doesn't always work. But I reckon it's saved me over an hour a week in looking for glasses.
    It is also a good use for an attractive fruit bowl which we were given but which has never found a use because we already had a fruit bowl. (Not that the actual fruit bowl contains fruit; it contains *pauses to inspect* a bunch of wires, chargers, headphones, batteries, an unused remote control, a pencil and a small squeezy bear. But there is a melon sitting next to it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

You trying to put me out of a job?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

@CDP1882

In Rotherham, 1 in 73.

1 in 73 is still an extraordinary number.
    Oh indeed, but nowhere near between 1 in 20 and 1 in 10
  • Options
    O/T

Just written a cheque for the milkman. Proof that both cheques and milkmen are still around in some parts.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    Even so would give a unionist maj at Holyrood.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,785
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Leon said:

We contacted the CPS who provided us with the information they publish on defendants in child sex abuse cases. 98% of defendants were male in 2015/16, but no information about the ethnicity of the defendants was published. We then submitted a freedom of information request to the CPS asking for information on the ethnicity of defendants prosecuted in child sex abuse cases.

It provided us with data on the number of defendants prosecuted for sex offences in cases flagged as relating to child abuse in 2015/16. It also included the ethnicity of those defendants.

Of the 6,200 or so defendants in these prosecutions, 67% were white, 4% were Asian, 3% were black, 1% were mixed race and 1% were other. For 24% of defendant’s there was no information on their ethnicity. Of all these prosecutions, around three quarters resulted in a conviction.

It then explained the data has errors, and it is also a bit old but at least it's collected in a systematic way unlike data for grooming, which is extremely partial.

https://fullfact.org/crime/what-do-we-know-about-ethnicity-people-involved-sexual-offences-against-children/
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

ping said:

That is all.

Sainsbury's stock Silver Sea herrings, the green label ones have dill and a sweeter cure than others from a blue labelled container.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The basic rules of PB, from five years ago:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/1895932#Comment_1895932

I don't think they've changed much. The ones that are missing are 'don't dox' and 'don't drop c-bombs' (which is a real challenge for me when I'm talking about the DfE, I might add).

Well that’s me officially retired then. Toodlepip.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    dr_spyn said:
    That ups the number of Independent MPs to 15

Scott Benton
    Andrew Bridgen
    Nicholas Brown
    Jeremy Corbyn
    Neil Coyle
    Jonathan Edwards
    Margaret Ferrier
    Matt Hancock
    Julian Knight
    Conor McGinn
    Christopher Pincher
    Christina Rees
    Bob Roberts
    David Warburton
    Claudia Webb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MPs_elected_in_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election

Couldn't even remember why most of this troupe of worthies ended up that way.

We've got those suspected of assault or sexual harrassment, those convicted or found guilty of harrassment and covid breaches, the terminally stubborn, the terminally stupid or racist, and those provisionally suspended just in case whilst being investigated.

Hacock's reason for suspension is tame by comparison.

Got as high as 31 Indies in the 2017 parliament due to the Boris suspensions, otherwise 16 was its height. Never got past 5 in the previous one. Worse MPs, or better detection?
  • Options
    I still remember being introduced to Cyril Smith when I was aged 10ish. Although it was a meeting in public (on the market) he gave me the absolute creeps and I remember stepping back behind my nan.

The authorities did nothing about him because he had mates in high places. They do nothing about most reports of abuse because so often the victims are institutionally not trusted and make poor witnesses. And with a few of these gangs we add in the "1 in 73 makes us look racist" angle

We can't dismiss that some gangs got away with it because of racism worries. But we can't dismiss all abusers as this one ethnic group or that abusers get away with it because do-gooder leftie officials let them. Well we can if we're happy to let the abuse scandals keep happening.
This discussion has been closed.