Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

How Keir, Rishi and Nicola are viewed in Scotland – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2023 in General
imageHow Keir, Rishi and Nicola are viewed in Scotland – politicalbetting.com

The survey carried out by Lord Ashcroft polls

Read the full story here

Comments

• OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    First, and bitter and twisted that my last post (opt) will be little read!
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Second. Not much cheer for the PM anywhere much it seems.
  • At least Competent is up there.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    FPT - just a block copy
    Omnium said:

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned that the Wellcome Trust, having closed down their permanent Wellcome collection, has now advertised for a new Head of Diversity to join their management team on a salary of £211k.

This is more than the Chief Strategy Officer, who is on £170k.

Just remember that it is all the same managerial class of public schoolboys and Oxbridge types. Whether they pose as 'culture warriors' or 'progressives' it is all the same old BS.
    You're slightly arguing against the clever people though. Not every public Schoolboy(Schoolperson) should be in a position of power, nor should every Oxbridge graduate, but we certainly want many of them in the frame.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Well at least Rishi has something arguably positive for him ie 'rich' as his biggest word, unlike 'Don't Know' for Starmer or 'Independence' for Sturgeon which says nothing about her personally
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,629
    Omnium said:

FPT - just a block copy

Omnium said:

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned that the Wellcome Trust, having closed down their permanent Wellcome collection, has now advertised for a new Head of Diversity to join their management team on a salary of £211k.

Just remember that it is all the same managerial class of public schoolboys and Oxbridge types. Whether they pose as 'culture warriors' or 'progressives' it is all the same old BS.
    You're slightly arguing against the clever people though. Not every public Schoolboy(Schoolperson) should be in a position of power, nor should every Oxbridge graduate, but we certainly want many of them in the frame.
    Actually I think they largely should be kept away as they really dont understand the things that normal people endure so those features of life for the bottom 50% never get addressed because our mp's come to far from the people that really dont get affected by their decisions. Most of them will never have a grandmother that needs to choose heat or eat, or wonder how they can feed 2 children and still get to pay for the transport to work
  • Whoops-a-daisy! Voters ignore MSM madness.

Deltapoll - Scottish subsample

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Whoops-a-daisy! Voters ignore MSM madness.

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

So still a swing of 3% from SNP to SLab even there since 2019
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,735
    the special conference risks being, in the words of the pro-UK political strategist Eddie Barnes, “a de facto referendum of confidence” in Sturgeon as leader. There remains the possibility she could be humiliated. If both her independence options are rejected she would surely have to resign.

A month out, this looks unlikely. In fact the more this feels like a confidence vote the safer she will be. But these are febrile times.

A while ago I wrote in these pages that Scotland was heading for a crisis of constitutional nationalism. Some people scoffed. They are not scoffing now. The mother of all decisions faces the SNP on Mother’s Day.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snp-is-locked-in-a-torturous-tug-of-war-kx5rk3j9l
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    edited February 2023

At least Competent is up there.

I think it's mean to say "component". You know, like "tool".
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

Well at least Rishi has something arguably positive for him ie 'rich' as his biggest word, unlike 'Don't Know' for Starmer or 'Independence' for Sturgeon which says nothing about her personally

That is some ninja level spindoctoring.

Overall though of that lot Starmer's is almost the most damning, in a way. Basically, a cloud of "who hell he?".
  • HYUFD said:

She is associated with her key policy. That takes tremendous, sustained focus. A huge achievement.

What is Sunak’s key policy?
    What is Starmer’s key policy?
    What is Davey’s key policy?
  • HYUFD said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Eleven election victories in a row and in government for fifteen years and still VI in the 40s, despite the combined dirty smears of the British Establishment.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Well, if I am reading the Welcome Trust webpages right, the existing Head of Diversity & Inclusion seems to have been educated at that well-known Oxbridge College ... the University of the West Indies.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    I'd certainly agree that I view Starmer as Labour.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

A whole eight minutes and not one of you has shouted KLAXOOONNNN!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733

HYUFD said:

She is associated with her key policy. That takes tremendous, sustained focus. A huge achievement.

She hasn't achieved it!
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

She hasn't achieved it!
    If we had an english party advocating the scots should go independent I would certainly vote for them
  • Sorry did HYUFD say rich is a positive for Sunak lol
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996

Sorry did HYUFD say rich is a positive for Sunak lol

That's rich.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    A lot of Cambridge men and women now on the front benches of the government. Makes sense for someone else to have a go after Oxford has let us down so much. I know he's PPE but Rishi doesn't seem to be showing any bias. Good for him.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,760
    @rcs1000

But M’seuir, hot chicks find Victor Hugo impossibly sexy. Tom Knox less so.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    HYUFD said:

I don't think it is a positive for most people, although perhaps it is for more voters than pbers would presume.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited February 2023
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Anyone who doesn’t have anchoring responsibilities at home (job, kids, stupid pets) and who has money and who ISN”T travelling is an idiot

Travel is all there is, in the end, along with love and art. The new, the fascinating, the challenging, the strange. It is the best. It doesn’t just broaden the mind it enriches it in an intoxicating way, like adding wine to a sauce, like lashing burning booze on the stodgy Christmas pud

You have one life. Go see the world before your knees give out

I think travel is great but the 'broadens the mind' thing is more of a saying than the truth imo. People who travel a lot are as prone to a fixed mindset as those who don't. In which case they lug it around with them along with the rest of their luggage.

"Anything to declare?"
    "Yep. Two suitcases, a carry-all, and my fixed mindset"
    Some people enjoy travel precisely because they have a fixed mindset. Even (especially) the free-spirited "independent travellers" you find congregating together in the same bars (with the same tired hippy trail aesthetic regardless of where they are located), wearing the same clothes and wittering on about their "gap yah" or the latest untouched location they are in the process of ruining. The identikit rooftop bar seems to fulfill the same function for the older and more well-healed traveller.
    My trouble with travel is that as a single, introverted, forty year old guy, I find it quite lonely and isolating to travel alone. I end up sitting alone in some bar at the end of nowhere, when I could have just sat in the pub down the road with my mates. Striking up conversation with strangers, you're either a weirdo or a pervert.

Every time I go on holiday alone I feel like the titular character of Houellebecq's platform, only there's no fantasy girl to come along and save me.

Happy valentines day, folks!
    Weirdly, I'm the other way around.

I find that in my day-to-day life I'm absolutely surrounded by other people and required to engage in conversation with them.

Going traveling by myself removes the requirement to talk to people, which I find enormously liberating. Plus, I get to read a good book without being interruped.

And if I really want a fight conversation, there's always pb.
    I’m reading a rather good (translation) of Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables. It’s a great yarn but looks intimidating enough to the average passer-by you can either engage or not as you wish
    I've always found that if you want to avoid being bothered then a copy of Tom Knox's Genesis Secret is near perfect.

The only problem is that you're required to read The Genesis Secret.

But hey ho.
    I liked it more than The Fire Child.

Sir Edric's Kingdom was superior to both.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341

HYUFD said:

A prize for special pleading. Yes, indeed when you and your party exist for the purpose of breaking up the union and forming a new state it gets noticed; you have to work hard with sustained focus to get anyone to notice anything else. (NS gets a prize for that too.)

In other news, the the number of people associating the ANC with the introduction of site value rating is below 1%.

• Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,784

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Out of interest, do you keep a record of these? Just wondered what the rolling average of the latest Scottish subsamples from every pollster looks like.

I will, of course, now wash my right index
    swiffing finger in strong detergent for suggesting such a travesty.
  • Responding to Leon's post about tramadol fpt:

35 years ago this very evening - yes, Valentine's Day - someone I knew died from overdosing. I was young. The person was young.

Since then, my attitude towards drugs has wavered: I don't like them (but I drink), but the illegal nature of some drugs may have contributed. Hence I find it a really difficult topic.

But people screeching: "use drug xxxx!", and promoting drugs, are really irresponsible.

This will hopefully be the only time I will mention this. But be careful with drugs, peeps. And don't take advice from Internet narcissists. I'll leave it up to you to decide if I'm one of them.

And in the meantime, more wine. Because this is a really sh*t evening, as my aunt's funeral is tomorrow, and I'm sadly not going...

I don't think that anecdote really goes anywhere. Overdosing on what, and accidentally or on purpose?
    The big takeaway from these word clouds is something else. Look carefully at SKS. Not just in Scotland, the good old general public really really do think that SKS is the most boring, nothing person they have ever tried to ignore. He bores for England, he wins boring Golds at the Olympic Borefest. He sends bricks to sleep. IDS and John Major are as Demosthenes and Abraham Lincoln to him.

Is this a problem?
  • algarkirk said:

The big takeaway from these word clouds is something else. Look carefully at SKS. Not just in Scotland, the good old general public really really do think that SKS is the most boring, nothing person they have ever tried to ignore. He bores for England, he wins boring Golds at the Olympic Borefest. He sends bricks to sleep. IDS and John Major are as Demosthenes and Abraham Lincoln to him.

Is this a problem?

It’s not pretty.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    edited February 2023

Well, if I am reading the Welcome Trust webpages right, the existing Head of Diversity & Inclusion seems to have been educated at that well-known Oxbridge College ... the University of the West Indies.
    Great Medical School at the UWI, though their postgraduate training leaves a bit to be desired.
    algarkirk said:

Is this a problem?

A bit. But he can win even so.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517

Responding to Leon's post about tramadol fpt:

35 years ago this very evening - yes, Valentine's Day - someone I knew died from overdosing. I was young. The person was young.

Since then, my attitude towards drugs has wavered: I don't like them (but I drink), but the illegal nature of some drugs may have contributed. Hence I find it a really difficult topic.

But people screeching: "use drug xxxx!", and promoting drugs, are really irresponsible.

This will hopefully be the only time I will mention this. But be careful with drugs, peeps. And don't take advice from Internet narcissists. I'll leave it up to you to decide if I'm one of them.

And in the meantime, more wine. Because this is a really sh*t evening, as my aunt's funeral is tomorrow, and I'm sadly not going...

I don't think that anecdote really goes anywhere. Overdosing on what, and accidentally or on purpose?
    fuck off
  • algarkirk said:

Is this a problem?

After the excitement of 2016-22, Make Britain Boring could be a winning slogan.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Yes, and capable. Trying is an interesting one. Is that, "he is trying to do the right thing despite the rest of the Tory party he has to deal with," or is it, "I find the experience of Sunak as our Prime Minister very trying." Not sure whether that is a positive or negative word for him.

HYUFD said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Eleven election victories in a row and in government for fifteen years and still VI in the 40s, despite the combined dirty smears of the British Establishment.
    Of course SNP VI in the 40 somethings (rather than about 60) is exactly where it needs to be if the settled will of the Scots is that they don't want to break up the union but do want a Scottish government with its own voice and clout. This evidence is supported by what actually happened not long ago when the choice was put to a referendum.

I still think NS thinks this is true and accepts it for now.

fuck off
    Respectful treatment of your late aunt too. I'd step away from the bottle.
  • DJ41aDJ41a Posts: 174
    edited February 2023

Sean_F said:

DJ41a said:

Woke Queen Camilla will not wear the Koh-i-Noor diamond for the coronation. She will wear Queen Mary's crown instead.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64638152

It's not up to Camilla, the British answer to Mike Pence, to decide what she wears or doesn't wear at the coronation.

No surprise that nut boy won't let his wife wear a bigger diamond in her hat than he does. She'd embarrass him.

If he were truly woke, he'd return the Koh-i-Noor to where his family stole it.

But that would be opening the floodgates. There'd be much of the royal art collection for starters, robbed after the restoration from those who'd bought stuff at auction from the Commonwealth government using their own money.

I wonder whether he and his hangers-on will f*** the coronation up. Many held back at his mother's funeral, but the crowning is me me me all the way.
    If the 1849 Treaty were deemed invalid, it would belong to the descendants of Ranjit Singh. I can’t see what claim the Indian government would have.

Presumably from the point when India absorbed the remnants of the Maharajahs? Although don’t know the details of that agreement

India, Pakistan, Iran, and Afghanistan have all claimed it. They are sovereign powers, like Britain. In the past it was war-grabbed a number of times. The most recent time was on behalf of the British queen (technically, Scottish readers will love to hear, on behalf of the queen of England). Why does nut boy want it? If he's selflessly serving his subjects by keeping his hands on this piece of British imperialist booty, why won't he let his wife wear it in her hat in front of the said subjects? They're not going to want these facts and questions appearing in the media, except perhaps in the go-nowhere context of "Our dear monarchy's glorious history".

Personally I think it was probably part of the Peacock Throne. But anyway...

Then there's the Stone of Scone. C'mon, Ms Sturgeon, so you say want a J*ckolution? Block Princes Street. Let them come in to Castle Rock by helicopter as if it were Crossmaglen. (<- This is a joke.)

• algarkirk said:

Is this a problem?

I agree. The problem comes in trying to actually deliver the promise. Trends - eg chaos - have a tendency to just keep on going.

Responding to Leon's post about tramadol fpt:

fuck off
    You have zero idea of why I'm not going. But if you just want to make yourself out to be a sad little troll, continue in this manner.

Personal things matter. And this all hurts. But you won't care. In fact, you're probably getting a little stiffy from this very conversation, you sad little shit.

HYUFD said:

I don't think it is a positive for most people, although perhaps it is for more voters than pbers would presume.
    Aspirational - If we work hard we too could marry a billionaire's daughter?

(Yes, I know he was a success too).

fuck off
    You really are a nasty piece of work.

algarkirk said:

Is this a problem?

Hope so. I worry slightly that he is seen as so boring everyone will forget to turn out and vote for the only party that can win with any degree of honour and decency. Where is Obama when you need him?

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Interesting Twitter discussion about how Gordon Brown really did help save the world.

https://twitter.com/samfr/status/1625516191954477060?s=46&t=8GHRQGqotp5pTeG4u7jvdw

No real demurrals from the various economicky and civil servanty respondents.
    edited February 2023

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Despite the ordure being chucked at NS, including much by herself, those figures show an extraordinary resilience. It really doesn't seem to matter how shit the SNP are in government, people still think they are the best choice. For better or worse Scottish Independence is inevitable. The only question is timing.
    Foxy said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Despite the ordure being chucked at NS, including much by herself, those figures show an extraordinary resilience. It really doesn't seem to matter how shit the SNP are in government, people still think they are the best choice. For better or worse Scottish Independence is inevitable. The only question is timing.
    Inevitable is not the word, since it doesn't yet have a majority and it shouldn't be assumed only Yes supporters have staying power.

However, I would agree it does make it troublingly likely as things stand.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,564

It’s actually “competent liar”.
    Wouldn’t be a party leader otherwise.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

Interesting Twitter discussion about how Gordon Brown really did help save the world.

https://twitter.com/samfr/status/1625516191954477060?s=46&t=8GHRQGqotp5pTeG4u7jvdw

I suppose this then leads one to wonder what he might have done with a different global crisis - say the energy crisis, or Covid. You can begin to imagine some of those turning out quite differently with a figure like Gordon Brown to organise a response.

Perhaps he would have made a better UN Secretary General, or EU Commission President, than British Prime Minister?
    algarkirk said:

Is this a problem?

Yes, it is a problem. No one is enthusiastic for him, not even Labour PB posters.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878
    Foxy said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Is it inevitable? Not exactly overwhelming numbers and with an example of someone leaving a stable, successful trading bloc and not doing so well close at hand, you have to wonder. Add in the tough realities (currency, national debt legacy, pensions etc) and I don’t think it is inevitable. More likely is the U.K. achieving a closer happier relationship with the EU which helps smooth the waters somewhat.
  • Foxy said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Is it inevitable? Not exactly overwhelming numbers and with an example of someone leaving a stable, successful trading bloc and not doing so well close at hand, you have to wonder. Add in the tough realities (currency, national debt legacy, pensions etc) and I don’t think it is inevitable. More likely is the U.K. achieving a closer happier relationship with the EU which helps smooth the waters somewhat.
    'someone leaving a stable, successful trading bloc and not doing so well'

Good point, let's leave the guys not doing so well to clear up the bed they shat and go with the stable, successful trading bloc.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,129
    HYUFD said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

You'd count the bollock hairs on a fungus gnat if you thought it might look good on the Epping Conservatives News handout.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,564
    Nigelb said:

It’s actually “competent liar”.
    Wouldn’t be a party leader otherwise.
    And a big step up from pathological.

On that theme, just started reading Ellsberg’s Secrets (which is really very good indeed).
    There’s a fun story about how he and his boss were ordered to brainstorm some plausible lies for McNamara over some incident with a crashed spy drone in China. After a lengthy session of bullsjit generation, Ellsberg comes up with the radical suggestion of saying “no comment”.
    After much persuasion, a reluctant McNamara finally does just that (something he’s never done before), and garners much praise for his refreshing honesty.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,866
    Foxy said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Those of you who don’t have up close and personal dealings with Scottish political parties maybe don’t realise how utterly useless SLab, SCon and SLibDem really are. Also, the Greens’ areas of responsibility in the Scottish Government are the areas of most incompetence. The choice is currently SNP or someone even worse. If any party, and SLab seem to be the only current possibility, were to demonstrate any level of statesmanship, they could reap significant rewards. However, there is no realistic prospect of that happening, so SNP 48% is unlikely to change.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,530

And yet he still gets all this hate. If the banks had failed it would have been a catastrophe.
    nico679 said:

And yet he still gets all this hate. If the banks had failed it would have been a catastrophe.
    That’s interesting - does Briwn get hate? I regard his story as a tragedy. He made a pact with Blair that Blair tried to renege on, eventually got to the top and had nothing to offer, literally no plan of what to do next.
    I think he is a decent, honourable man who did his best. His economics was tricky (hide huge spending with PFI) and he didn’t abolish boom and bust, but he also wasn’t a massive liar, fraudster etc.
    Foxy said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

No it isn't inevitable at all. Indeed on the latest poll Yes is even below the 45% it got in 2014

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scottish-independence-scotland-would-vote-no-to-independence-by-12-point-margin-poll-finds-4024888

Foxy said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

It is inevitable so better to kick them out now
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Anyone who doesn’t have anchoring responsibilities at home (job, kids, stupid pets) and who has money and who ISN”T travelling is an idiot

Travel is all there is, in the end, along with love and art. The new, the fascinating, the challenging, the strange. It is the best. It doesn’t just broaden the mind it enriches it in an intoxicating way, like adding wine to a sauce, like lashing burning booze on the stodgy Christmas pud

You have one life. Go see the world before your knees give out

I think travel is great but the 'broadens the mind' thing is more of a saying than the truth imo. People who travel a lot are as prone to a fixed mindset as those who don't. In which case they lug it around with them along with the rest of their luggage.

"Anything to declare?"
    "Yep. Two suitcases, a carry-all, and my fixed mindset"
    Some people enjoy travel precisely because they have a fixed mindset. Even (especially) the free-spirited "independent travellers" you find congregating together in the same bars (with the same tired hippy trail aesthetic regardless of where they are located), wearing the same clothes and wittering on about their "gap yah" or the latest untouched location they are in the process of ruining. The identikit rooftop bar seems to fulfill the same function for the older and more well-healed traveller.
    My trouble with travel is that as a single, introverted, forty year old guy, I find it quite lonely and isolating to travel alone. I end up sitting alone in some bar at the end of nowhere, when I could have just sat in the pub down the road with my mates. Striking up conversation with strangers, you're either a weirdo or a pervert.

Every time I go on holiday alone I feel like the titular character of Houellebecq's platform, only there's no fantasy girl to come along and save me.

Happy valentines day, folks!
    Weirdly, I'm the other way around.

I find that in my day-to-day life I'm absolutely surrounded by other people and required to engage in conversation with them.

Going traveling by myself removes the requirement to talk to people, which I find enormously liberating. Plus, I get to read a good book without being interruped.

And if I really want a fight conversation, there's always pb.
    I’m reading a rather good (translation) of Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables. It’s a great yarn but looks intimidating enough to the average passer-by you can either engage or not as you wish
    I've always found that if you want to avoid being bothered then a copy of Tom Knox's Genesis Secret is near perfect.

The only problem is that you're required to read The Genesis Secret.

But hey ho.
    I liked it more than The Fire Child.

Sir Edric's Kingdom was superior to both.
    Just cut the cover off and stick it on *Parasite Communities: Patterns and Processes* or whatever opposite-sex* magnet one is reading

*Modify to taste.

Foxy said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

'someone leaving a stable, successful trading bloc and not doing so well'

Good point, let's leave the guys not doing so well to clear up the bed they shat and go with the stable, successful trading bloc.
    I think that’s the wrong point to take tbh. Remind me of the easy road link to the EU…
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    nico679 said:

Brown gets hate mainly from Tories. He had a torrid time in number 10. May proved he right decision about the early election. His intervention in the economic crisis was decisive. He looks like a giant compared to current incumbent and the two dangerous fools that preceded Sunak.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    edited February 2023
    FPT & O/T

Thanks for the Madrid recommendations.
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/feb/14/how-a-food-bank-is-struggling-to-keep-up

Interesting update on food banks. Notably the 'actual' rate of inflation at poor folk's level for food buying. This will be bulk at the cash and carry, but even so ... where's that 30p a meal going to get you?

"In February 2022, the cost of the items in a standard parcel (enough to feed one person for three days) came to £24.78. Today an equivalent food parcel costs £34.11, an increase of £9.33 or nearly 38%. A children’s food parcel is up by £8.24 to £25.75, a jump of 47%."

nico679 said:

That’s interesting - does Briwn get hate? I regard his story as a tragedy. He made a pact with Blair that Blair tried to renege on, eventually got to the top and had nothing to offer, literally no plan of what to do next.
    I think he is a decent, honourable man who did his best. His economics was tricky (hide huge spending with PFI) and he didn’t abolish boom and bust, but he also wasn’t a massive liar, fraudster etc.
    Probably fair enough, though he wrecked his reputation some more by letitng himself being set up to make the promises in the 2014 referendum he couldn't himself fulfil.

Re hate, think of all the nasty comments about him going blind/one-eyed (I forget the details, as I don't like that kind of political literature). Not sure if he still gets flak like that now.
    The following might be useful to some:

"It’s not aliens. It’ll probably never be aliens. So stop. Please just stop."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/02/its-not-aliens-itll-probably-never-be-aliens-so-stop-please-just-stop/
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

You'd count the bollock hairs on a fungus gnat if you thought it might look good on the Epping Conservatives News handout.
    It's a two-hairs scrote.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    nico679 said:

Iceland let their banks fail, and they enjoyed a far swifter and more sustained recovery. I am not saying this is definitely what Brown should have done, but there is definitely an alternative to viewing what he did as beneficial.
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/feb/14/how-a-food-bank-is-struggling-to-keep-up

Interesting update on food banks. Notably the 'actual' rate of inflation at poor folk's level for food buying. This will be bulk at the cash and carry, but even so ... where's that 30p a meal going to get you?

"In February 2022, the cost of the items in a standard parcel (enough to feed one person for three days) came to £24.78. Today an equivalent food parcel costs £34.11, an increase of £9.33 or nearly 38%. A children’s food parcel is up by £8.24 to £25.75, a jump of 47%."

Ok see this bemuses me....I shop for myself and manage to spend just under 50£ for 7 days...according to the standard parcel that would cost 79.95.....I am well fed and often end up with food left over.....sorry if I don't put much faith in their figures
    Carnyx said:

nico679 said:

Probably fair enough, though he wrecked his reputation some more by letitng himself being set up to make the promises in the 2014 referendum he couldn't himself fulfil.

Re hate, think of all the nasty comments about him going blind/one-eyed (I forget the details, as I don't like that kind of political literature). Not sure if he still gets flak like that now.
    One eyed Scotch idiot as I recall.

Clarkson seems to prefer hating on the ladies nowadays.
  • Painful for Watford

Burnley show why they are going up as champions

We would have taken a point before the game started though

nico679 said:

Iceland let their banks fail, and they enjoyed a far swifter and more sustained recovery. I am not saying this is definitely what Brown should have done, but there is definitely an alternative to viewing what he did as beneficial.
    Bush let Lehmans fail too
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Straws clutching at, you are.
  • nico679 said:

I think the problem was, LG, that if the banks had failed it would not have just been the UK but more a less the whole world banking system. So Iceland isn't a true comparison (and I would add that the Iceland solution was not necessarily the best one anyway.)

Fwiw, I think it was the one truly positive achievement of a Premiership that was otherwise deeply disappointing and unsatisfactory.
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Ok see this bemuses me....I shop for myself and manage to spend just under 50£ for 7 days...according to the standard parcel that would cost 79.95.....I am well fed and often end up with food left over.....sorry if I don't put much faith in their figures
    When the supposed cost of a food parcel for a week costs more than 7 days of takeaway cod and chips (10.50 here) then frankly someone is talking bollocks
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited February 2023

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/02/its-not-aliens-itll-probably-never-be-aliens-so-stop-please-just-stop/

I have no idea what the objects were, ofcourse, but this article seems to me typical of the many with false dichotomies on the subject.

The government ( actually the White House, not the Pentagon, if one listens carefully ) says there's no indication of anything other-worldly. Therefore, if you doubt this, you think they are covering something up, and are thus ( the implication of the article runs ) in the psychological category of the paranoid, the eccentric or the kooky. The Guardian article today quoting the latest White House press briefing tonight, for instance, with no attempt to discriminate from the Pentagon, also uses the word "conspiracist" to describe those positing other explanations.

But, in reality, this is a false opposition. You don't have to believe governments are hiding things, to believe they just often have no idea about particular issues, but often pretend to. This is often a key story of modern government and it was also how the Pentagon ( and successive White Houses ) pursued questions like these for over 60 years.

And as often, there's no clue the government involved actually has any idea what they're talking about. The US defence secretary himself yesterday said they had no idea what the objects are, and had found no debris. It's fairly obvious they've put up Kirby, who is actually retired, to pretend they have any idea what's going on with them, and they may never actually develop any grounds for really knowing.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    Pro_Rata said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

Out of interest, do you keep a record of these? Just wondered what the rolling average of the latest Scottish subsamples from every pollster looks like.

I believe Scot Goes Pop keeps a rolling average of these.
  • @beinndearg banned. What an utter prick
  • Hi ya @StuartDickson hope you’re well mate
  • sarissa said:

Pro_Rata said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

PBers with pedigree will remember him posting here under his name: James Kelly.

He withstood the worst bullying ever seen on these threads. Utterly disgraceful.

sarissa said:

Pro_Rata said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

He withstood the worst bullying ever seen on these threads. Utterly disgraceful.
    He was a dick and was treated accordingly

I am thank you. Knackered after my run earlier today so just about to switch off. Great to see you fighting the trans-phones this morning.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    edited February 2023
    algarkirk said:

Is this a problem?

Do not underestimate the opportunism of a boring man.

I am thank you. Knackered after my run earlier today so just about to switch off. Great to see you fighting the trans-phones this morning.
    Well the worst has just been banned. Every post was abuse at me. Horrible prick.

Glad you’re posting too, enjoying your posts!!
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

I suspect the joirnalist has made an error as to what a standard parcel covers. But also this is the cost to the charity, not what you can pick up cheaply on the spot. Did you allow for your petrol/electricity and car depreciation/capital costs?

The inflation cost is the key element, anyway.
  • Pagan2 said:

sarissa said:

Pro_Rata said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

James is up there with Antifrank, Herdson, Senior, Nabavi, tim et al in the pantheon of great PBers. It’s bloody thin gruel these days.
  • Pagan2 said:

sarissa said:

Pro_Rata said:

SNP 48%
    SLab 27%
    SCon 19%
    Grn 4%
    Ref 1%

10-13 Feb

James is up there with Antifrank, Herdson, Senior, Nabavi, tim et al in the pantheon of great PBers. It’s bloody thin gruel these days.
    You’re arguing with a blob.

You’re a good poster mate, we need your perspective here
  • Also didn’t know you were a runner @StuartDickson how far did you go

Hi ya @StuartDickson hope you’re well mate

Well the worst has just been banned. Every post was abuse at me. Horrible prick.

The first rule of banhammer club is...
  • Foxy said:

Hi ya Foxy. How are you Sir
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    On topic, it's interesting that Starmer has the smallest "incompetent" but the largest "ineffective".

Us irreligious folk have to focus our attention somewhere. Aliens it is.

Foxy said:

Hi ya Foxy. How are you Sir
    Pretty good. Quite busy on catchup work. Management have been ordered for us to see all the 52+ week waiters by the new financial year.

It needs doing, but just puts something else down the priority list. We have no extra resources apart from robbing Peter.
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

I suspect the joirnalist has made an error as to what a standard parcel covers. But also this is the cost to the charity, not what you can pick up cheaply on the spot. Did you allow for your petrol/electricity and car depreciation/capital costs?

I dont have a car and dont drive, still fails the point you can buy cod and chips 7 nights a week at a takeaway for less than their standard basket. Which tells me they are talking bollocks.

If I wanted to cut costs I could get enough calories, vitamins and minerals for far less than that a week and still not goto bed hungry or underfed. For example I can make a spag bol that feeds me for three days...2*passata = 4£, 500g of mushrooms 2.39, 2 onions .0.80£ 1kg of spaghetti 1.89. 3 peppers 1.29£ minced beef 500g = 6.00 total cost for 3 days = 16£ approximately....I can afford 250g of cheese to grate without even approaching 34£
  • Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

I dont have a car and dont drive, still fails the point you can buy cod and chips 7 nights a week at a takeaway for less than their standard basket. Which tells me they are talking bollocks.

If I wanted to cut costs I could get enough calories, vitamins and minerals for far less than that a week and still not goto bed hungry or underfed. For example I can make a spag bol that feeds me for three days...2*passata = 4£, 500g of mushrooms 2.39, 2 onions .0.80£ 1kg of spaghetti 1.89. 3 peppers 1.29£ minced beef 500g = 6.00 total cost for 3 days = 16£ approximately....I can afford 250g of cheese to grate without even approaching 34£
    Not everyone is such a superb example of well adjusted humanity as your good self.

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Not everyone is such a superb example of well adjusted humanity as your good self.
    If food banks are claiming it costs that much to feed a single person for one day my suspicion is someone is pocketing money somewhere. I dont eat poorly and eat meat often but don't think when catering purely for me I have ever spent more than 50 to 60 just for me and thats on weeks I decide I may want a steak one night for the more expensive end. It is not about being well adjusted its just basically needing to be able to cook. I was round my supermarket earlier.....if you cant cook they had plenty of ready meals where if you buy 2 you get it for 6 pounds. 7 * 6£ is still only 42 pounds well short of the 79£ they are claiming so even if you cant fucking cook....
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

On topic, it's interesting that Starmer has the smallest "incompetent" but the largest "ineffective".

Sounds like a quote from Portnoy's Complaint
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,760

Because they are all paid up members of the left wing economic establishment conspiracy? (TM Liz Truss)

This discussion has been closed.