Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Biden’s pressing for the WH2024 primaries to start with S Carolina – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    edited December 2022
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

WillG said:

Sounds a fun light hearted watch....everybody in Britain is racist appears to be the message.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11516413/Harry-Meghans-attack-racist-Britain-Prince-says-Royal-family-problem.html

If they want to be popular like the Kardashian's they appear to be going about it the wrong way.

"David Olusoga says UK had 'pretty toxic debate about the EU' and adds that 'immigration was at the absolute centre' and 'is very often in this country a cipher for race'"

It still makes me laugh how the limiting of low skilled white people to the UK is seen as racial prejudice.
    It's a joke because if the EU didn't already exist, people advocating the idea of a union of European countries would be accused of being white supremacists.
    What an idiotic post.
    I didn't say that the accusation would be just, but it's naive to think it wouldn't be made.
    Hmm. "If the UK didn't exist, people advocating the idea of a union of countries of the Isles of Britain and Ireland would be accused of being white supremacists." Does that make sense? No? Course not. So whjy should your version? [Edit] As indeed you imply.
    Is that an admission that Scottish independence is a bit like Brexit? :smile:
    Not quite. Brexit is like having a baby. Scottish Independence is opening a bottle of wine and putting on the Barry White.
    I am not familiar with a Barry White, but is it some kind of suicide apparatus?
    The Walrus of Luurve sings the best seduction music...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ChatGPT has just done something so amazing I can't even tell you

@Leon

Your account has just been hacked by some form of AI.
    I thought that happened two years ago? Hence the cycling through aliens/woke/gpt3/covid etc.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

algarkirk said:

Bugger. Thought I'd try chatGPT to see what the fuss is about, and I hate to say it, but it's impressive.

First go, I asked it this: suggest a concert programme for a brass band: 8 pieces of music, none longer than 9 minutes, no arrangements of pop songs, but musicals and films are fine

A couple of its suggestions are 'categories' rather than specific pieces, but I think this would stand up.

Here are some ideas for a concert program for a brass band that includes 8 pieces of music, none longer than 9 minutes, and does not include arrangements of pop songs:
    1. "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copland - This iconic work, written in 1942, is a perfect opening piece for a brass band concert. It's energetic and dramatic, and it showcases the full range of the brass instruments.
    2. "A Choral Fanfare" by James Curnow - This piece, written in 1991, is a vibrant and uplifting work that features a choir singing along with the brass band. It's a great way to add some variety to the program and involve the audience.
    3. "Music from West Side Story" by Leonard Bernstein - This classic musical, written in 1957, features some of the most iconic and beloved songs in American musical theater. A brass band arrangement of one or more of these songs would be a highlight of the concert.
    4. "March from 1941" by John Williams - This famous march, written for the film "1941," is one of Williams' most well-known works. It's fast-paced and exciting, and it would be a great addition to the concert program.
    5. "The Marriage of Figaro" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - This famous opera, written in 1786, includes a number of famous arias and choruses that would be well-suited to a brass band arrangement.
    6. "Irish Tune from County Derry" by Percy Grainger - This lively and energetic folk tune, written in 1913, is a great way to showcase the brass band's musicianship and versatility.
    7. "Overture to Candide" by Leonard Bernstein - This upbeat and humorous overture, written for the musical "Candide," would be a great addition to the concert program.
    8. "Finale from Symphony No. 5" by Ludwig van Beethoven - This iconic work, written in 1808, is one of Beethoven's most famous and enduring compositions. A brass band arrangement of the finale would be a fitting and triumphant conclusion to the concert.

A brass band arrangement of Figaro is like Samuel Beckett adapting PG Wodehouse novels for the stage.
    Quite a few different arrangments of the overture, arias etc.
    https://www.brassband.co.uk/sheet-music/search/Marriage_of_Figaro
    Perhaps Die Walkure has been arranged for flute and bass guitar. Anything is possible.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

@Leon

Your account has just been hacked by some form of AI.
    I thought that happened two years ago? Hence the cycling through aliens/woke/gpt3/covid etc.
    Nah, that's when @Byronic wants a go.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

WillG said:

Sounds a fun light hearted watch....everybody in Britain is racist appears to be the message.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11516413/Harry-Meghans-attack-racist-Britain-Prince-says-Royal-family-problem.html

If they want to be popular like the Kardashian's they appear to be going about it the wrong way.

"David Olusoga says UK had 'pretty toxic debate about the EU' and adds that 'immigration was at the absolute centre' and 'is very often in this country a cipher for race'"

It still makes me laugh how the limiting of low skilled white people to the UK is seen as racial prejudice.
    It's a joke because if the EU didn't already exist, people advocating the idea of a union of European countries would be accused of being white supremacists.
    What an idiotic post.
    I didn't say that the accusation would be just, but it's naive to think it wouldn't be made.
    Hmm. "If the UK didn't exist, people advocating the idea of a union of countries of the Isles of Britain and Ireland would be accused of being white supremacists." Does that make sense? No? Course not. So whjy should your version? [Edit] As indeed you imply.
    Not quite. Brexit is like having a baby. Scottish Independence is opening a bottle of wine and putting on the Barry White.
    On that basis, Scottish independence should have preceded Brexit by nine months.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    M45 said:

algarkirk said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

"An immediate jail sentence would have needed Sacoolas to surrender to the court. And so the judge said the only real option was a suspended sentence plus a driving ban - in the UK."

What a disgraceful sentence. Great for anybody who commits an offence that carries a prison sentence. Just go abroad and the English court will suspend your sentence for you. Why not go further and give Sacoolas a medal? What's he called in the White House nowadays - Joe Trump, is it? Donald Biden?

Harry Dunn's mother is a very generous woman, saying she doesn't want Anne Sacoolas to be taken away from her children. Sacoolas should have f***ing thought about that before she drove on the wrong side of the road.

I'm with Harry Dunn's mother. I don't imagine Sacoolas deliberately drove on the wrong side of the road. Had she been under the influence of alcohol, or phoning while driving, I'd have a different view.
    Reckless driving should probably have a prison sentence. Fleeing from the police definitely should.
    If reckless driving had a prison sentence, we'd need a lot more prisons. I'd have sent three down this afternoon following my walk - all failed to stop at red lights at pedestrian crossings. And they had intent not to stop.
    Running a red light and killing someone as a result should definitely be a prison offence.
    Reckless driving is imprisonable, as is careless driving when it causes death. Running a red light is careless driving usually; occasionally reckless; depends on circumstances.

The offence is dangerous, not reckless, driving. "Reckless" occurs once, by mistake, in RTA 1988.
    This is true but I wasn't charging per word and ran out of time and the will to live. Our American brethren seem to major of reckless driving offences.

Informally the GovUK site regards reckless and dangerous as interchangeable words.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929
    For info: Lincolnshire, Medway, North Devon, and South Holland will be counting tonight; Brighton, Colchester, and Dumfries and Galloway tomorrow.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    edited December 2022

WillG said:

During one of the "Tony Blair may be about to form a new centrist party" stories a few years ago, I thought what he said about Europe and the USA having it as their joint task to provide leadership to the world was indeed fairly honky, as honky stuff goes.

No doubt he's closer in attitude to Goethe-flavoured German nationalism, though - most greats have been German but hey there have been others too and we can count them as honorary Germans [*] - than he is to outright "uber alles" German nationalism.

It's still f***ing honky, though, the idea of those countries leading the world, showing Africa, Latin America, and Asia what's what. And the Middle East - how did that one go for Blair? Then there's Cathay or whatever it's called.

*) Or in Britspeak, "We need the clever XXXs on our side". (And playing cricket.)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

M45 said:

algarkirk said:

WillG said:

WillG said:

DJ41 said:

Anne Sacoolas sentence:

"An immediate jail sentence would have needed Sacoolas to surrender to the court. And so the judge said the only real option was a suspended sentence plus a driving ban - in the UK."

What a disgraceful sentence. Great for anybody who commits an offence that carries a prison sentence. Just go abroad and the English court will suspend your sentence for you. Why not go further and give Sacoolas a medal? What's he called in the White House nowadays - Joe Trump, is it? Donald Biden?

Harry Dunn's mother is a very generous woman, saying she doesn't want Anne Sacoolas to be taken away from her children. Sacoolas should have f***ing thought about that before she drove on the wrong side of the road.

I'm with Harry Dunn's mother. I don't imagine Sacoolas deliberately drove on the wrong side of the road. Had she been under the influence of alcohol, or phoning while driving, I'd have a different view.
    Reckless driving should probably have a prison sentence. Fleeing from the police definitely should.
    If reckless driving had a prison sentence, we'd need a lot more prisons. I'd have sent three down this afternoon following my walk - all failed to stop at red lights at pedestrian crossings. And they had intent not to stop.
    Running a red light and killing someone as a result should definitely be a prison offence.
    Reckless driving is imprisonable, as is careless driving when it causes death. Running a red light is careless driving usually; occasionally reckless; depends on circumstances.

The offence is dangerous, not reckless, driving. "Reckless" occurs once, by mistake, in RTA 1988.
    This is true but I wasn't charging per word and ran out of time and the will to live. Our American brethren seem to major of reckless driving offences.

Informally the GovUK site regards reckless and dangerous as interchangeable words.
    Careless of them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

WillG said:

What an idiotic post.
    That's possibly a worse metaphor than Leon's.
    Though far more pleasant.
  • Options
    Not sure I get the link between Scottish independence and sex. Unless you mean a one night stand that's great whilst it lasts and you then spend the rest of your life regretting.
  • Options
    The perfect Xmas gift for Apple fan @TheScreamingEagles ?

Not your standard iPad Pro case. Combining @Apple silicon with
    @nanopore technology for mobile DNA/RNA sequencing. The future is here

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kieran_Hejmadi/status/1600518303507685380

Pretty amazing portable sequencing kit.
  • Options
    edited December 2022

Not sure I get the link between Scottish independence and sex. Unless you mean a one night stand that's great whilst it lasts and you then spend the rest of your life regretting.

It probably won't get to the point where Sturgeon as FM treats the next British GE as a referendum and then declares UDI - which is the idea she's been spreading - but if that does happen I can guarantee there will be NO spirit of euphoria that manifests across the whole of Scotland. The Orange Order for starters won't take it lying on their backs.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    Nigelb said:

What on earth is the market that is aimed at? Maitres d'hote during the next epidemic? Checking out if your new potential boy/girlfriend has the crabs or worse?
  • Options
    BozzaBozza Posts: 37

Independence would be both regrettable and irreversible, like an incurable STI.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

It probably won't get to the point where Sturgeon as FM treats the next British GE as a referendum and then declares UDI - which is the idea she's been spreading - but if that does happen I can guarantee there will be NO spirit of euphoria that manifests across the whole of Scotland. The Orange Order for starters won't take it lying on their backs.

Democracy is fucked if it relies on the Orange Order. Look at the denial of democracy caused by the DUP in the North of Ireland.
  • Options
    Bozza said:

Only if you’re English and relying on Scotland to continue to subsidise Tory incompetent, corrupt fuckups.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977
    rcs1000 said:

WillG said:

South Carolina first doesn't just help Biden. It would help Harris and Trump.

Agreed re Harris: it would clearly benefit her (and disadvantage Buttigieg) in the event of Biden not standing and South Carolina going first
    Did you solve the problem you were concerned about?
  • Options
    Bozza said:

That's very much from the lower layers of your pyramid of piffle.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Bozza said:

That's very much from the lower layers of your pyramid of piffle.
    It is the real Bozza, and not just a bot. Nobody else could possibly be that thick and deluded, except a particularly stupid Putin bot.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

What on earth is the market that is aimed at? Maitres d'hote during the next epidemic? Checking out if your new potential boy/girlfriend has the crabs or worse?
    Just a small step on the road to the Star Trek medical tricorder.
  • Options
    Crikey, has pb died? No one anything to say tonight?
  • Options

The AI blew a fuse?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The AI blew a fuse?
    PS: nice monkey news.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/dec/08/jungle-trek-first-ever-photo-congo-bouviers-red-colobus-monkey-aoe
  • Options

Football. Must... have... football...
  • Options

I'm writing one of Sunday's threads.

Not going to lie, the headline is the best one I've ever written.
  • Options

It's not about AV, is it?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The AI blew a fuse?
    More likely the AI blew Leon.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Japanese AV? :innocent:
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No, it's about betting.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No, it's about betting.
    Good gracious. What are the odds?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Just a small step on the road to the Star Trek medical tricorder.
    This is me.

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

I should imagine they'll be pretty useful for ecological fieldwork if nothing else, depending on how expensive it is per sample.

The main thing is lowering the cost, though. I would imagine we'll be sequencing every cancer cell very soon (if we aren't already).
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    The BBC seem to be spending more time plugging a show on Netflix than on any of their own programmes.

I imagine that more people will watch Pointless Celebrities than Mr and Mrs Mountbatten.
  • Options

The BBC seem to be spending more time plugging a show on Netflix than on any of their own programmes.

I imagine that more people will watch Pointless Celebrities than Mr and Mrs Mountbatten.

Isn't there a paradox in that sentence?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

My choice of BBC programme was indeed deliberate.
  • Options

Football. Must... have... football...
    Weren't you watching Gillingham v Dagenham?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

I should imagine they'll be pretty useful for ecological fieldwork if nothing else, depending on how expensive it is per sample.

The main thing is lowering the cost, though. I would imagine we'll be sequencing every cancer cell very soon (if we aren't already).
    Oh, yes, I can see that - beats packing up a few thousand turds/worms/parasites/etc if you can sample them fresh on the spot.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

My choice of BBC programme was indeed deliberate.
    I suppose I shouldn't have been soaprised.

Good night.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Maybe ChatGPT could be asked to write an essay on the outcome of the next US presidential election.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Mid evening all :)

To try to break the monotony with one of my tedious ramblings might be the epitome of throwing good bandwidth after bad...

Harry and Meghan have never bothered me - I quite like them. I made the ultimate faux pas of saying this among friends at lunch last Saturday - I'd have been better off shouting "Down with Big Brother" at the 15-minute Hate in all honesty. You could even say something positive about Jeremy Corbyn and get a better reaction than I got.

The poor woman has been vilified in a way usually reserved for Labour Party leaders or participants in "I'm A Celebrity".

It seems, despite Mark Harper's "efforts", the trains won't be running next week. Did he seriously think an 8% offer, over two years, was going to be greeted with gratitude by the RMT? I see the Mail has started to play up the "Labour are in the Unions pocket" line and after Zahawi's atrocious comments last weekend, the stench of desperation or Lynton Crosby seems to be prevailing the Conservative Party.

The average pounding received by @TSE's dockside hooker will be as nothing compared to the metaphorical tarring and feathering rounded off by ritual disembowelling inflicted on the Conservatives at the next election - well, perhaps.
  • Options
    Just looking at the Covid data. The uptake of the autumn booster among those in their 50s and early 60s has been a bit shite.

There has also been a lack of a public information campaign to persuade the daft buggers to get jabbed.

Will this lead to an uptick in cases over the winter? Hmmmm.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

They won’t always be celebrities. They’ll always be pointless.
  • Options
    stodge said:

To try to break the monotony with one of my tedious ramblings might be the epitome of throwing good bandwidth after bad...

Harry and Meghan have never bothered me - I quite like them. I made the ultimate faux pas of saying this among friends at lunch last Saturday - I'd have been better off shouting "Down with Big Brother" at the 15-minute Hate in all honesty. You could even say something positive about Jeremy Corbyn and get a better reaction than I got.

The poor woman has been vilified in a way usually reserved for Labour Party leaders or participants in "I'm A Celebrity".

It seems, despite Mark Harper's "efforts", the trains won't be running next week. Did he seriously think an 8% offer, over two years, was going to be greeted with gratitude by the RMT? I see the Mail has started to play up the "Labour are in the Unions pocket" line and after Zahawi's atrocious comments last weekend, the stench of desperation or Lynton Crosby seems to be prevailing the Conservative Party.

The average pounding received by @TSE's dockside hooker will be as nothing compared to the metaphorical tarring and feathering rounded off by ritual disembowelling inflicted on the Conservatives at the next election - well, perhaps.

Hmm. Did you see the Graun cartoon?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2022/dec/08/ben-jennings-meghan-harry-netflix-documentary-cartoon
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

WillG said:

A few quite mainstream French politicians opposed the Turkish entry into the EU on the grounds that it was an organisation for “European Christian countries”.
  • Options

Just looking at the Covid data. The uptake of the autumn booster among those in their 50s and early 60s has been a bit shite.

There has also been a lack of a public information campaign to persuade the daft buggers to get jabbed.

Has the Government finally realised the advantages of letting oldies die off? Does that mean they know they’ve lost the next election?
  • Options

I think we are entering an interesting phase re covid. We are seeing an increase in admissions again, primarily variant driven. Schools will shut for a couple of weeks over Christmas which might slow things down. The vast majority of people have antibodies of some kind against covid. Virtually no one is going up against the virus without protection.
    People will still die, but it will be primarily those that would die from pneumonia or some other death bringer.
    Viruses have a limited envelope of mutations. They simply cannot keep getting better and better at infecting people with antibodies without eventually some cost to their fitness. We saw this with omicron. Increased ability to infect but a transition to the upper respiratory system, at least in most people.
    What does this lead to? Potentially covid recedes from being something we all need repeated vaccination against to something only those more at risk need it. Such as those who currently get the flu shots. If those who are offered don’t take it up, then they have only themselves to blame.
  • Options

Has the Government finally realised the advantages of letting oldies die off? Does that mean they know they’ve lost the next election?
    Not much point in Tory Party activists ferociously defending inheritance tax allowances otherwise, is there?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Oh, yes, I can see that - beats packing up a few thousand turds/worms/parasites/etc if you can sample them fresh on the spot.
    Yes. There's an awful lot we could learn if sequencing becomes cheap, easy, and portable. It might not change the world exactly but it will make a big difference to our understanding of the natural environment.

Mrs Flatlander always tells me she'll eventually be made redundant by this (she is a field ecologist) but it will still need someone willing to fight their way through the brambles (of whichever particular subspecies) to get the samples...
  • Options
    stodge said:

The suggestion is that Number 10 (Lynton Crosby?) sabotaged a possible rail deal. If so, they calculate voters will blame Labour for rail strikes. I can't see it myself.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Maybe ChatGPT could be asked to write an essay on the outcome of the next US presidential election.

Writing a PB header (on politics, with betting) would be an interesting test for ChatGPT.
  • Options

stodge said:

The suggestion is that Number 10 (Lynton Crosby?) sabotaged a possible rail deal. If so, they calculate voters will blame Labour for rail strikes. I can't see it myself.
    More on this here.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/08/mick-lynch-government-is-deliberately-ensuring-rail-strikes-go-ahead
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208

stodge said:

they could have done a deal in the summer but the tories opted to implode instead
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    There are tentative signs of hope regarding the case before the Supreme Coirt which threatened to significantly undermine US democracy.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/12/kagan-court-back-from-brink-democracy.html

This article does a very good job of explaining what’s at stake.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/12/supreme-court-elections-legislature-trump-north-carolina.html
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Carnyx said:

stodge said:

More on this here.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/08/mick-lynch-government-is-deliberately-ensuring-rail-strikes-go-ahead
    I think the old playbook won’t work. I mean, fascinating to see them try.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    edited December 2022

Andy_JS said:

Writing a PB header (on politics, with betting) would be an interesting test for ChatGPT.
    It reveals chat GPT to be just like our politicians - able to waffle inaccurately on any subject with the confidence of the articulate fool:

Election 2022: Who will come out on top?

With the 2022 elections just around the corner, political pundits and betting enthusiasts alike are closely watching the race to see who will come out on top. The current frontrunners are incumbent Prime Minister Boris Johnson and challenger Keir Starmer, but with a volatile political climate and unpredictable voter turnout, anything can happen.

One factor that could impact the outcome is the state of the economy. Prime Minister Johnson has faced criticism for his handling of the recession, while Starmer has promised to focus on job creation and economic growth if elected. Another key issue is healthcare, with Starmer advocating for universal coverage and Johnson pushing for a more market-based approach.

As the campaigns heat up and the election draws near, the latest betting odds show Johnson and Starmer neck and neck, with each candidate having a 50% chance of winning. However, with the unpredictable nature of politics, these odds are likely to shift as new information and events come to light.

ETA: missed the last paragraph!
  • Options
    I see chatGPT is about as up to date with UK politics as Leon is with mapping technology.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,504

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

More on this here.

If they get properly rumbled in public opinion trying this then it’s going to be another nail in the coffin.

Faffing around playing playground games while the country grinds to a halt will get them a well deserved kicking. And the trouble for the Tories is people just aren’t inclined to believe them or give the benefit of the doubt
    anymore.
  • Options
    M45M45 Posts: 216

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Yes. There's an awful lot we could learn if sequencing becomes cheap, easy, and portable. It might not change the world exactly but it will make a big difference to our understanding of the natural environment.

Mrs Flatlander always tells me she'll eventually be made redundant by this (she is a field ecologist) but it will still need someone willing to fight their way through the brambles (of whichever particular subspecies) to get the samples...
    Brambles are more genetically insane, than anything you get to by fighting through them. Pretty much every plant is a new subspecies.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

More on this here.

If they get properly rumbled in public opinion trying this then it’s going to be another nail in the coffin.

Faffing around playing playground games while the country grinds to a halt will get them a well deserved kicking. And the trouble for the Tories is people just aren’t inclined to believe them or give the benefit of the doubt
    anymore.
    It's going to be interesting to see the YouGov polling on this through the winter.

I suspect there's going to be a clear majority blaming ["The Government" + "Both Equally"] which is net bad for the Government.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

I hate driving overseas which is why I’ve given it up.

Muscle memory kicks in and I start veering to our side of the road.

You could try Australia, New Zealand, Japan or India then.
  • Options

M45 said:

FPT

@ping said:

We have a problem. This could well happen again.

Time to force all Americans to pass a UK driving test before being allowed on our roads, then.

We can’t have foreigners exploiting loopholes in our justice system. That kids family deserve better from our government.

We have to stop the next Anne Sacoolas.

........................................................................................................................................

Good afternoon

Then maybe all UK citizens will have to pass a US, Canadian, New Zealand, Australian, South African test before they could drive in those countries

I quote all those countries as I have hired and driven a car in all of them

This is vindictive nonsense. The offence is worth a suspended sentence at the absolute maximum

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/magistrates-court/item/causing-death-by-careless-or-inconsiderate-driving/

And I genuinely don't believe anyone who claims never to have done something at least equally stupid and dangerous, and got away with it.
    Sorry but that link strongly suggests a custodial sentence, which I am sure would have been given if there was any prospect of her having the guts to accept responsibility. She is a craven coward.
    Harsh

Have you never done anything as bad as that, but got away with it?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

More on this here.

The Major government discoverd this in the mid 90s. After almost 20 Years of the Conservatives having success with demonising strikes, the few strikes that could legally be organised were usually for legitimate reasons, and so the public were annoyed with the strikes but sympathetic for the reasons for striking. This came as a big surprise to the government of 15 years who had dined out on the public regarding "strikes=bad".
  • Options

It has ticked up a bit. 110 cases in my hospital now, up from 60 a month ago. It hit nearly 200 early October. Lots of other respiratory ailments.

One of my neighbours had seven hours in children's ED with her 7 month baby with a temp of 39.5. Ram packed with poorly kids, several with scarlet fever and a lot of anxiety about the nasty Streptococcus. 2 paeds doctors on so long waits but the nurses doing sterling work assessing and monitoring a heaving waiting area. Well worth a 7% real terms pay cut. They should have got jobs on hedge funds if they wanted to get rich I suppose.

• Options

Carnyx said:

stodge said:

More on this here.

The Conservatives may think they've got the "Maggie in the 80's" playbook.

Unfortunately, it looks a bit like they have accidentally grabbed the "Heath in '73/4" version instead.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

Not one of my best since I have to explain - the Sindy 'baby' is in preconception is what I meant!
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    eristdoof said:

I hate driving overseas which is why I’ve given it up.

Muscle memory kicks in and I start veering to our side of the road.

You could try Australia, New Zealand, Japan or India then.
    Much of Anglophone Africa too, as well as the Pakistan and Indonesia.

Mind you in a lot of these places driving only on one side of the road is more a theoretical constraint than a practical one.

• Options
    Foxy said:

It has ticked up a bit. 110 cases in my hospital now, up from 60 a month ago. It hit nearly 200 early October. Lots of other respiratory ailments.

One of my neighbours had seven hours in children's ED with her 7 month baby with a temp of 39.5. Ram packed with poorly kids, several with scarlet fever and a lot of anxiety about the nasty Streptococcus. 2 paeds doctors on so long waits but the nurses doing sterling work assessing and monitoring a heaving waiting area. Well worth a 7% real terms pay cut. They should have got jobs on hedge funds if they wanted to get rich I suppose.

Each doctor is more valuable than 100 hedge fund managers, despite what @HYUFD may try to tell us.
  • Options
    This is just nasty and unbecoming. Meghan looks like a school bully.

https://twitter.com/benjaminbutter/status/1600875945174487040

Exactly right. If you don't like curtseying to monarchs don't marry their grandsons.

Harry looks pretty unamused.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Thank goodness.
    Yes, enough damage for one day from that direction.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524

Me and my much better half have both got Covid at the moment, for the first time; grandson is the prime infection culprit. It's certainly debilitating and rather unpleasant, but not too bad. We're both fully vaccinated and boosted, so I guess that's not much deterrence from getting the thing. I'm assuming that, as an oldie, the vaccines have kicked in to make it not so bad.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

Foxy said:

Each doctor is more valuable than 100 hedge fund managers, despite what @HYUFD may try to tell us.
    It is the tax hedge fund managers pay that helps keep the NHS going (and private doctors fees too if they have private health insurance)
  • Options

Me and my much better half have both got Covid at the moment, for the first time; grandson is the prime infection culprit. It's certainly debilitating and rather unpleasant, but not too bad. We're both fully vaccinated and boosted, so I guess that's not much deterrence from getting the thing. I'm assuming that, as an oldie, the vaccines have kicked in to make it not so bad.
    Yes, vaccination doesn't stop you getting it completely, but does prime the immune system to knock it on the head quickly and less severely. Between vaccination and infection there aren't many immunological naive left outside China.
  • Options
    stodge said:

The more there is fear of militant unions again the better for the Tories actually
  • Options

Bozza said:

Only if you’re English and relying on Scotland to continue to subsidise Tory incompetent, corrupt fuckups.
    Scotland gets net subsidy from Westminster not the other way round
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

It is the tax hedge fund managers pay that helps keep the NHS going (and private doctors fees too if they have private health insurance)
    Yes, they richly deserve their unlimited bonuses for their selfless work.

(Strangely the government doesn't seem bothered about their inflation busting rise in bonuses. I wonder why?)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

The more there is fear of militant unions again the better for the Tories actually
    I can only see militancy on one side. And it's not from the folk trying to avoid a real terms pay cut.

Goodnight all.
  • Options
    M45 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Brambles are more genetically insane, than anything you get to by fighting through them. Pretty much every plant is a new subspecies.
    Indeed! Although Hawkweeds might give them a run for their money.

The local bramble expert here is well into his 80s and I don't know who is going to replace him. Perhaps there's too many distractions for the type of person who might spend a lot of time learning this stuff these days? He's technically only an 'amateur'.

We probably will have to rely on DNA sampling before long, whether we want to or not.

[ Though someone had a go at writing a key here: http://www.jnecology.uk/rubus/ ]

• Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Even 30% of Con voters support the Paramedics striking. It is not so simple as you claim.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

There are tentative signs of hope regarding the case before the Supreme Coirt which threatened to significantly undermine US democracy.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/12/kagan-court-back-from-brink-democracy.html

This article does a very good job of explaining what’s at stake.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/12/supreme-court-elections-legislature-trump-north-carolina.html

We shall see. There seemed to be an element of wishful thinking by Slate.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Yes, they richly deserve their unlimited bonuses for their selfless work.

(Strangely the government doesn't seem bothered about their inflation busting rise in bonuses. I wonder why?)
    Because the government doesn't pay them, but rather gets 45% tax off them? I would prefer it to be 50%, sure, but I would also prefer to see doctors whose selfless, Hippocratic dedication to the preservation of life and health did not fall off a cliff once their pension fund bumped in to the derisory £1.2m limit or whatever it is.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Meghan seems like an incredibly unpleasant character.
  • Options

Anyone who winds up the likes of Piers Morgan and Farage is alright by me.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    M45 said:

Exactly right. If you don't like curtseying to monarchs don't marry their grandsons.

I wonder why anyone is giving this narcissist and Mr Hewitt Jnr. the oxygen of publicity. Best to just ignore them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

You’re good at quoting statistics, @HYUFD. What percentage of tax is paid by hedge fund managers and what percentage is paid by NHS workers?
  • Options
    Tres said:

Me too, usually. Plus the Daily Mail.
    On paper I want to support her.
    However, she appears to be a sociopath.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Bozza said:

Scotland gets net subsidy from Westminster not the other way round
    Then why not accept Scottish independence and save yourself some money? It would allow you to reduce hedge fund managers’ tax burden?
  • Options
    Some of the Schengen countries have amazingly low barriers for residency. Seems that any digital nomad with €27K in the bank, who may for example work for their own company, can get a 12-month permit in Croatia and pay 0% income tax. Meanwhile a layabout (who mustn't do any paid work) can get a Non-Lucrative visa from Spain if they're able to show a similar amount in the bank. This is mental.
  • Options
    DJ41 said:

Some of the Schengen countries have amazingly low barriers for residency. Seems that any digital nomad with €27K in the bank, who may for example work for their own company, can get a 12-month permit in Croatia and pay 0% income tax. Meanwhile a layabout (who mustn't do any paid work) can get a Non-Lucrative visa from Spain if they're able to show a similar amount in the bank. This is mental.

Why?
  • Options
    Tres said:

We can only hope that with the onset of adulthood, you will have the pleasant surprise of discovering the joy of first-hand opinions.
  • Options
    M45 said:

Tres said:

We can only hope that with the onset of adulthood, you will have the pleasant surprise of discovering the joy of first-hand opinions.
    As as adult with the joy of a first hand opinion, my opinion is that the world would be a better place if Morgan and especially Farage didn’t exist.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    M45 said:

Good for her. Ni Dieu, ni maître, as Faure said.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    M45 said:

He looks like he wants to punch himself in the face.
  • Options
    A Con gain in South Holland. Not really surprising as it is in one of the most Conservative constituencies in the country.
  • Options
    Also not surprising - a LD gain in North Devon.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Tres said:

I see chatGPT is about as up to date with UK politics as Leon is with mapping technology.

You stupid twats. ChatGPT is trained on data up to July 2021. That's why it is outdated. It has no access to the internet

Honestly, look at the state of this thread tonight. The comments. Boring, jejune, childish, unfunny, and this one here by you

No wonder PB is dying. SHAPE UP
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936

Tres said:

Me too, usually. Plus the Daily Mail.
    On paper I want to support her.
    However, she appears to be a sociopath.
    Man with self-esteem issues and a BPD mother ends up in a destructive relationship with an NPD woman who takes advantage of him.

Not an unusual story, only notable because the individuals involved are famous.

It's a sad story repeated often, however without the fame angle it's not a newsworthy story.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

M45 said:

I wonder why anyone is giving this narcissist and Mr Hewitt Jnr. the oxygen of publicity. Best to just ignore them.
    We have to talk about something, and nothing else seems to have caught PB's attention this evening.

I think that clip Ratners her; the combination of malicious glee from her, obvious discomfort from Hazza, and contempt for the Queen (the proper one, not Charles's frump) is a killer. This time next week they will be Mr and Mrs Windsor.
  • Options
    slade said:

Also not surprising - a LD gain in North Devon.

Gives the Lib Dems control of the council.
This discussion has been closed.