Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The economy and inflation dominate the latest Ipsos Issues Index – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited December 2022 in General
imageThe economy and inflation dominate the latest Ipsos Issues Index – politicalbetting.com

We have not looked at the above polling for quite some time and this is unique in that those sampled are not giving a list of issues from which they can choose. Instead they are asked to think of their main concerns completely unprompted. Arguably this gives a better picture.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Betting Post. Horse Racing tips 🐎

1:55 Newbury - Porticello
    Far too good a price for a horse I love so much

2:10 Newcastle - Not So Sleepy
    Yes I am betting against Constitution Hill. I went racing at Newcastle with my friends, and I was on a favourite that slipped up on a piece of paper! Added to the fact returning Superstars have in general had a difficult first outing this autumn, it made me think there’s horses for courses, and some courses have kebab wraps blowing in the wind.

3:05 Newbury - Corach Rambler
    Will love the distance and going.

3:48 Bangor - Whenitrainsitpours
    Yep. A debutante in a 2m Bumper In Bangor to bring the bet home. Why you ask? Because someone else didn’t hand over 50k for no good reason I’m thinking.

Whatever you are on, good luck PB racing punters 🙂
  • Options
    Good morning

The main surprise is the NHS at 21%

There is a very real sense everything is not working, and the only hope for the conservatives is that the economy does improve and specifically inflation falls

It is 2 years to the next GE but is difficult to see a conservative majority, and most likely Starmer will have a workable majority either on his own or in coalition with the lib dems

It would be interesting to see just how he would progress as the one thing about Starmer is he always seems to support anything that he thinks will see him elected, but has never faced a question where the answer is an unpopular no
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,090
    Amazing how low housing is, all things considered.
  • Options
    alednamalednam Posts: 185
    I doubt that there'll be any perception that things have improved. Assurances that things are improving will be bound to found hollow.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,586

And energy - on the face of matters, the Tories have achieved the impossible by reducing its salience (so far, however). But perhaps it's subsumed into the economy and into inflation/prices.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

And energy - on the face of matters, the Tories have achieved the impossible by reducing its salience (so far, however). But perhaps it's subsumed into the economy and into inflation/prices.
    Yes I think it's a more general concern about inflation in general, otherwise you would expect petrol prices to be a higher concern too.
  • Options
    NHS & Immigration equal. Prolly all those good citz concerned that the lack of latter is causing the former to fall on its arse.
  • Options
    On topic, this is pretty much what I'd expect.

If I were playing the happy europhile game c.2008-2011 I would point out that 'Europe' is at least 10th on this list under a generous interpretation, and probably lower, and therefore "no-one cares about Europe" - as dozens of thread headers argued at the time.

But, that would be churlish - so I won't.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Good morning

The main surprise is the NHS at 21%

There is a very real sense everything is not working, and the only hope for the conservatives is that the economy does improve and specifically inflation falls

It is 2 years to the next GE but is difficult to see a conservative majority, and most likely Starmer will have a workable majority either on his own or in coalition with the lib dems

It would be interesting to see just how he would progress as the one thing about Starmer is he always seems to support anything that he thinks will see him elected, but has never faced a question where the answer is an unpopular no

If you have to use the NHS you can see the problem, but if you haven’t used it recently you are less aware. This survey doesn’t capture the intensity of feeling. If you’ve been in any way dependant on the NHS recently, you’re unlikely to be very happy at all.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited November 2022

If I were playing the happy europhile game c.2008-2011 I would point out that 'Europe' is at least 10th on this list under a generous interpretation, and probably lower, and therefore "no-one cares about Europe" - as dozens of thread headers argued at the time.

I guess that’s before NHS buses. Would it be churlish to mention the NHS hasn’t seen the extra £350m a week it was promised?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,389
    edited November 2022
    Listening to Bob Seely on the Westminster Hour, on their "abolish housing targets" amendment.

Quite funny. Nimbys are upping their game, and have donned green camouflage.

And are coming out with a lot of fictions about the current planning system / planning policy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001fm2w
    (at about 27:40)
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Jonathan said:

I guess that’s before NHS buses. Would it be churlish to mention the NHS hasn’t seen the extra £350m a week it was promised?
    with inflation since 2016 they must be there or thereabouts by now tbf
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    Jonathan said:

I think the NHS has had more than a 350 million a week increase since the EU ref ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,521
    edited November 2022
    Carnyx said:

It is one reason that I find this sort of polling problematic. Issues such as our relationship with Europe cross boundaries, so for example a lot of people are blaming our worse economic performance on Brexit, but that would show as concern about the economy.

Similarly housing or immigration. Are people concerned that we have too little or too much?
  • Options
    Education not even on the list. Crazy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

I think the NHS has had more than a 350 million a week increase since the EU ref ?
    Yep they have.

Not convinced by the causal link though. I argued at the time of the referendum it was a false figure to be quoting and never understood why they used it when the real figure of £280 million a week was bad enough. Just made a rod for their own backs.
  • Options

This loops back to the argument I used to have with OGH in the years before Cameron announced the referendum. At the time OGH used to use this IPSOS issues poll to support a claim that people didn't give a Monkeys about the EU. The problem with that was that, take to its logical conclusion that meant they also didn't give a Monkeys about the Environment. the Elderly and many other issues that regularly ranked lower than the EU as an issue.

The problem with such thinking is it is based on the idea that people can't walk, talk and chew gum at the same time. People are asked to rank their priorities, not whether they care or don't care about the other issues. Just because something ranks low on the table (which extends far beyond the list posted in the thread header) doesn't mean people don't care about those issues, just that other things are to the forefront at present.

The issues questioning is very useful, but too often it is misinterpreted.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    now the game is spot the 40 new hospitals or whatever the number is
  • Options

This loops back to the argument I used to have with OGH in the years before Cameron announced the referendum. At the time OGH used to use this IPSOS issues poll to support a claim that people didn't give a Monkeys about the EU. The problem with that was that, take to its logical conclusion that meant they also didn't give a Monkeys about the Environment. the Elderly and many other issues that regularly ranked lower than the EU as an issue.

The problem with such thinking is it is based on the idea that people can't walk, talk and chew gum at the same time. People are asked to rank their priorities, not whether they care or don't care about the other issues. Just because something ranks low on the table (which extends far beyond the list posted in the thread header) doesn't mean people don't care about those issues, just that other things are to the forefront at present.

That's true but I think people can put more than one thing as an answer, based on the text of the question. I would personally put it as my #1 concern but I'm surprised others aren't even listing it among a number of issues. Is it any wonder that as a country we are falling short on education and skills when people don't seem to care about it?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

Not convinced by the causal link though. I argued at the time of the referendum it was a false figure to be quoting and never understood why they used it when the real figure of £280 million a week was bad enough. Just made a rod for their own backs.
    I though the reason was well known. Cummings has gone on about the theory and practice enough.

Yes, the £350 million was false, but it could only be rebutted by talking about other large figures, making the point Vote Leave wanted made.

Appalling dishonesty, but excellent practical vote winning. We'll never know if that was what tipped the balance.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2022
    This was always the plan....because ECB can't "own" the T20 competition.

Sky News reporting that a private equity firm has proposed buying a 75% stake in the Hundred

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has received a £400m private equity approach that would see it relinquish majority ownership of The Hundred while raising funds to inject into the sport's cash-strapped counties.

https://news.sky.com/story/english-cricket-bowled-over-with-400m-private-equity-bid-for-the-hundred-12755799

-----

It’s not going away is it

https://twitter.com/ashkent91/status/1596466477435068418
  • Options

Sky News reporting that a private equity firm has proposed buying a 75% stake in the Hundred

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has received a £400m private equity approach that would see it relinquish majority ownership of The Hundred while raising funds to inject into the sport's cash-strapped counties.

https://news.sky.com/story/english-cricket-bowled-over-with-400m-private-equity-bid-for-the-hundred-12755799

-----

Take the money and run!
  • Options
    I notice that "Woke" or anything that be construed as it are not on the list. "Trans" or gender issues also don't feature.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

-----

No.

I challenged the chairman of Gloucestershire CCC on this point at a recent meeting, and his answer was because of the way the ECB budgeted, and the rights deal it had negotiated, there was no way they could get rid of the Blundred without bankrupting themselves and every county bar Surrey.

It is no coincidence that Surrey were consistently and outspokenly opposed while everyone else fell in line.

It is ironic to reflect their chairman and CEO of the time are now tasked with clearing up precisely the mess they warned about, but can't undo.
  • Options
    Ahead of tonight's game, Mexican fans are in fine form. Singing about the Malvinas being English to wind up the Argentinians.

https://twitter.com/IvanKasanzew/status/1595913359760785409?t=nc65VJ1bKyl8Zqctc7PwbA&s=19
  • Options

That's true but I think people can put more than one thing as an answer, based on the text of the question. I would personally put it as my #1 concern but I'm surprised others aren't even listing it among a number of issues. Is it any wonder that as a country we are falling short on education and skills when people don't seem to care about it?
    How many parents are able to see the problems with their child's school as easily as patients can see the healthcare system struggling?

I'm guessing the answer is 'not nearly as many,' if only because education is actually quite a gradual process while ambulances stacked outside A+E are an immediate emergency.

I suspect it will change when schools have to start closing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    At a relative's and unprompted they asked about I'm a Celebrity and Matt Hancock. They think he's nice, down to earth and quite handsome.

Should I cut them out of my life?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Actually it has.

I'm honestly not sure what level of money would be required to totally transform the NHS.

£100bn a year?

And it's not just the cash either. There are several poles in the tent, one of which is available trained doctors/nurses, and the other estate.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Most people think this is expansion - i.e. 40 new extra hospitals.

In fact, it includes new wings for existing ones and even refurbishments of very old one.

It's really an estate modernisation and consolidation programme, with maybe only 20-25% new capacity.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

How many parents are able to see the problems with their child's school as easily as patients can see the healthcare system struggling?

I'm guessing the answer is 'not nearly as many,' if only because education is actually quite a gradual process while ambulances stacked outside A+E are an immediate emergency.

There will be a lot of pressure to avoid that, even if it's by kludges like putting four classes in the dining hall with the head playing a video. But given that all the supply staff seem to be covering vacancies, there's not much slack when people start getting ill.

It's a reminder of the dual purpose of the education system, though. One cynical take is that the primary purpose is childcare so that parents can work, and if they're in a building we might as well try to teach them stuff...
  • Options

Indeed.

I'm not really convinced we give a shit about kids in this country, except our annoyance at them when they become feral.

We care far more about animals.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

At a relative's and unprompted they asked about I'm a Celebrity and Matt Hancock. They think he's nice, down to earth and quite handsome.

Weirdly, I'm all green on that with a three-figure profit (just) on him if he does it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2022
    Forget issue with rainbow coloured bucket hats and crusader outfits...

A bloke form a popular football podcast went to England Vs USA last night in fancy dress as Mary Poppins and got detained.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,118

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

I though the reason was well known. Cummings has gone on about the theory and practice enough.

Yes, the £350 million was false, but it could only be rebutted by talking about other large figures, making the point Vote Leave wanted made.

Appalling dishonesty, but excellent practical vote winning. We'll never know if that was what tipped the balance.
    So the idea was that Remain would say “It’s not 350m, it’s only 280m”? When Leave could have said “280m” and been correct? What would have been the refutation?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I've been surprised by my peer cohort.

Basically, over half who can afford it are going private - several quite liberal-lefty parents who keep it all very hush hush, but they tell me.

This isn't open to everyone but quite a significant number are doing it, IMHO. It's a vector for stopping Starmer getting votes in quite a few SE marginals if he persists on a manifesto of VAT on private school fees.
  • Options

Tres said:

Most people think this is expansion - i.e. 40 new extra hospitals.

In fact, it includes new wings for existing ones and even refurbishments of very old one.

It's really an estate modernisation and consolidation programme, with maybe only 20-25% new capacity.

I really don’t understand the lies about this. Simply saying 40 new or upgraded hospitals is far more effective, as it’s true. 40 new hospitals simply isn’t. I cannot understand the mentality that thinks it’s a clever wheeze.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Basically, over half who can afford it are going private - several quite liberal-lefty parents who keep it all very hush hush, but they tell me.

This isn't open to everyone but quite a significant number are doing it, IMHO. It's a vector for stopping Starmer getting votes in quite a few SE marginals if he persists on a manifesto of VAT on private school fees.
    Ah yes, the dishonesty of the wealthy leftie. Diane Abbots kids need private schooling etc. Some things never change. How do they live with themselves during their long Tuscan holidays?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

So the idea was that Remain would say “It’s not 350m, it’s only 280m”? When Leave could have said “280m” and been correct? What would have been the refutation?
    It wouldn't have been refuted. The message would have been "Even Remainers admit we send 280 million a week to the EU."

It was a scam that could only be played once. And it was bound to degrade politics in the future. But for a referendum campaign planned as a one off win, once
    was enough and future politics was someone else's problem.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045

ydoethur said:

Would it really be so concentrated in the south east if housing costs are so high? They may be 'woke' but I suspect the younger generation have less of a problem with private schools and hospitals.
  • Options

A bloke form a popular football podcast went to England Vs USA last night in fancy dress as Mary Poppins and got detained.

Quite right too.

Anyone in fancy dress at a football match should be nicked.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Indeed.

I'm not really convinced we give a shit about kids in this country, except our annoyance at them when they become feral.

Labour have an opportunity to become the party for families, 35h free childcare from age 1, huge investment in schools and bring uni fees back down to £1k per year. For once tell the nation that ensuring kids are educated is more important than ensuring some 89 year old can live for another 2 years at huge expense to the NHS.
  • Options
    Fans in Saudi Arabia have been unable to watch all of the World Cup after a streaming service was blocked by the country's government.

Tod TV, owned by Qatar-based broadcaster beIN SPORTS, holds the rights to the tournament In Saudi with 22 matches free-to-air.

But 42 can only be watched via a streaming service, that was blocked an hour before the opening ceremony.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited November 2022

ydoethur said:

Ah yes, the dishonesty of the wealthy leftie. Diane Abbots kids need private schooling etc. Some things never change. How do they live with themselves during their long Tuscan holidays?
    One does ones best for the oiks but one must never send ones children to mix with their children or who knows what they might pick up?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

One does ones best for the oiks but one must never send ones children to mix with their children or who knows what they might pick up?
    A quote by the young Sunak?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,128
    kle4 said:

Specsavers vouchers for Christmas?
  • Options
    I want to do a Bondathon, with my friend Michael.

Wish I had the time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Quite right too.

Anyone in fancy dress at a football match should be nicked.
    The philistines at Edgbaston actually have a designated fancy dress day. It gives them a chance to send their shell suits to the dry cleaners.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Would it really be so concentrated in the south east if housing costs are so high? They may be 'woke' but I suspect the younger generation have less of a problem with private schools and hospitals.
    I think that's accurate, actually.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Labour have an opportunity to become the party for families, 35h free childcare from age 1, huge investment in schools and bring uni fees back down to £1k per year. For once tell the nation that ensuring kids are educated is more important than ensuring some 89 year old can live for another 2 years at huge expense to the NHS.
    They'd hoover up votes if they did that.

The subsidised nursery care for 3-4 year olds (which was a LD policy, to be fair) is hugely popular with parents, and certainly makes our lives easier.
  • Options

Fans in Saudi Arabia have been unable to watch all of the World Cup after a streaming service was blocked by the country's government.

Tod TV, owned by Qatar-based broadcaster beIN SPORTS, holds the rights to the tournament In Saudi with 22 matches free-to-air.

But 42 can only be watched via a streaming service, that was blocked an hour before the opening ceremony.

Bit weird because the Qataris have clearly adopted Saudi Arabia as their other team as you see from the crowd in the Poland match.
  • Options
    Some fun in the issues long grass - most important issue facing the country:

Brexit - 2%
    Trade Deals - 1%
    U.K. Union - 1%*

* No, that’s not higher in Scotland - it’s an England response…

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2022-11/ipsos-issues-index-november-2022-tables.pdf
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

The subsidised nursery care for 3-4 year olds (which was a LD policy, to be fair) is hugely popular with parents, and certainly makes our lives easier.
    Yup, and it would turn Labour into the party of families and workers opposing the Tories as the party of the old and very wealthy.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Yup, and it would turn Labour into the party of families and workers opposing the Tories as the party of the old and very wealthy.
    The Tories narrowly lost workers apart from those earning over £100k a year in 2019 but still won because of their huge lead with pensioners
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

A country that does not support working families is building its own funeral pyre.
    Agreed, lots of European countries need to address this and enable families to have one more child than they are currently planning. My sister would like a third but affordability is an issue for them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

The Tories narrowly lost workers apart from those earning over £100k a year in 2019 but still won because of their huge lead with pensioners
    In 2019 against Corbyn. 2024 will be against Keir Starmer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,364
    RIP Irene Cara.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Why should taxpayers who are non graduates pay for most graduates fees, especially if on average they earn more than them longer them?

Better to cut fees for cheaper subjects like creativity arts and humanities and increase fees for high earning subjects like law and economics and IT at top universities with some subsidies for subjects like medicine and engineering the country needs graduates in
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Bit weird because the Qataris have clearly adopted Saudi Arabia as their other team as you see from the crowd in the Poland match.
    Nah, there's loads of Saudi Arabians in the crowd, they're just a few hours drive or a 1h charter flight away.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Why should taxpayers who are non graduates pay for most graduates fees, especially if on average they earn more than them longer them.

Better to cut fees for cheaper subjects like creativity arts and humanities and increase fees for high earning subjects like law and economics and IT at top universities with some subsidies for subjects like medicine and engineering the country needs graduates in
    It's the cost of having a skilled workforce.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495

It's quite possible that cross dressing is against the bylaws in Qatar, and equally possible that their security chappies have a limited sense of humour.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,069

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

A country that does not support working families is building its own funeral pyre.
    Regardless of the politics its also the necessary policy to conserve ourselves as a society. Fertility collapse will cause self-extinction as a nation and culture. We need policies to make life affordable for young 25-35 year olds, so they want to have kids. Conservatives should want to conserve it.
  • Options

Indeed.

We care about feral children like we do animals?

Now that's genius...
  • Options
    WillG said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Regardless of the politics its also the necessary policy to conserve ourselves as a society. Fertility collapse will cause self-extinction as a nation and culture. We need policies to make life affordable for young 25-35 year olds, so they want to have kids. Conservatives should want to conserve it.
    Yup, but they aren't. Houses are more expensive than ever, childcare costs are exploding and mortgage interest rates are rising faster than ever. If there's an index for ease of having kids the UK must be at the bottom of it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Why should taxpayers who are non graduates pay for most graduates fees, especially if on average they earn more than them longer them.

It's the cost of having a skilled workforce.
    There will always be high demand to study law, economics, IT etc at top universities because you will earn a high salary after and we have no shortage of graduates in those areas with fees now and would even with higher fees in those areas. No reason why those studying creative arts should be subsidised by non graduate taxpayers either even if they pay a lower fee.

We might need to subsidise a few subjects like medicine and engineering ans physics to ensure a skilled workforce in those areas but that is it
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Yup, but they aren't. Houses are more expensive than ever, childcare costs are exploding and mortgage interest rates are rising faster than ever. If there's an index for ease of having kids the UK must be at the bottom of it.
    Outside of London and the Home counties housing costs are lower and more have children earlier.

Germany, Canada, Italy, Japan, Spain etc all have lower birthdays than the UK
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

It's quite possible that cross dressing is against the bylaws in Qatar, and equally possible that their security chappies have a limited sense of humour.
    These Gulf states just have a terrible culture. Backwards in pretty much every way.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

If they guaranteed class sizes of not more than 20 in the state sector they would kill private education stone dead anyway, apart from a handful of real snob schools.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

If they guaranteed class sizes of not more than 20 in the state sector they would kill private education stone dead anyway, apart from a handful of real snob schools.
    Not necessarily it is the intake which boosts private and grammar schools most not the class size
  • Options

Can't disagree with you there. I think we have devalued education in far too many ways - some very unintended, others far more obvious such as the most obvious one of neglect of funding and investment.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

I know Cummings argument but I think that is just him justifying the lie after the event.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

And hopefully one such is educating the next Tory Prime Minister at this very moment (well, not on a Saturday, obvs)
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

I know Cummings argument but I think that is just him justifying the lie after the event.
    Well, that is his normal modus operandi and has been for years.

Is this the moment to talk about his - ummm - impact on education again :smile: ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,217
    HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Outside of London and the Home counties housing costs are lower and more have children earlier.

Lower birthdays!? How does that work?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

And hopefully one such is educating the next Tory Prime Minister at this very moment (well, not on a Saturday, obvs)
    If they were, that Tory PM would be in a private school...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Lower birthrates, predictive text again
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

MaxPB said:

WillG said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Well in my case a couple of pairs of socks and a Toblerone.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Indeed.

It is a policy which, if expressed in the way you do it - or even anything approximating to that - would be absolutely destroyed by other parties though. A real world version of Logan's Run. Kill people when they are no longer useful to society. That sort of thing. It also feeds directly back into the anti-lockdown/anti-vaxxer narrative that has been so prevalent for the last couple of years and which is regarded with disgust by most people. Setting up the generational conflict narrative is a sure way to lose an election.

• Options
    Saudi Arabia play some lovely football at times.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

Is this the moment to talk about his - ummm - impact on education again :smile: ?
    Only if you are willing to discuss why our education system has been failing compared to many others for decades (and long before Cummings came along).
  • Options

Saudi Arabia play some lovely football at times.

Except in the Penalty box. So many chances going begging. It's going to hurt them.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Porticello gone to Jesus 😭
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Staffwise, that's just about doable on current budgets. Not pretty, but just about.

Killer is that you'd need to build lots more classrooms.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    WillG said:

algarkirk said:

These Gulf states just have a terrible culture. Backwards in pretty much every way.
    Or of course they may just feel that Mary Poppins lacks depth and gritty realism, that feeding the birds is bad practice, the film lacks empathy with the LGBQ+ community, is unsound on trans rights and that anyone impersonating this symbol of patriarchal privilege deserves arresting.

• Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Staffwise, that's just about doable on current budgets. Not pretty, but just about.

Killer is that you'd need to build lots more classrooms.
    The snag is that is something we are going to have to do anyway given the state of many of our current school buildings.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed.

Not necessarily it is the intake which boosts private and grammar schools most not the class size
    At last, you concede that Grammar schools are not better schools.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

Only if you are willing to discuss why our education system has been failing compared to many others for decades (and long before Cummings came along).
    I'm perfectly happy to discuss how the incompetent and complacent meddling of civil servants arrogating more and more power to themselves and making a shambles of everything due to their stupidity, and the self-aggrandisement of failed teachers like say, Chris Woodhead have led over many decades via the accelerations brought about by Cummings, Friedman, Gove, Morgan, Gibb and Spielman, to the current clusterfuck.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

The hypocrisy is a bit nauseating. As a leftie I would never send my kids to a private school, I just don't think it's right. Although when I look at their overworked teachers and worn out facilities I do worry sometimes that I'm not doing the right thing for them. I would never criticise any parent's choice of school because ultimately our first responsibility is to our children. We all do what we think is best according to our values and circumstances. But I do think it's a poor reflection on us as a country that we can't organise a well funded, high quality public education system that every parent has confidence in. I also suspect the educational divide that we end up with as a result is ultimately impoverishing us all.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

The hypocrisy is a bit nauseating. As a leftie I would never send my kids to a private school, I just don't think it's right. Although when I look at their overworked teachers and worn out facilities I do worry sometimes that I'm not doing the right thing for them. I would never criticise any parent's choice of school because ultimately our first responsibility is to our children. We all do what we think is best according to our values and circumstances. But I do think it's a poor reflection on us as a country that we can't organise a well funded, high quality public education system that every parent has confidence in. I also suspect the educational divide that we end up with as a result is ultimately impoverishing us all.
    You're ahead of me then. I don't suspect, I know it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Well yes. I think we all do.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nonsense. Private schools are a net benefit to society, and sending your children to them is the ethical thing to do, if you can afford it, not the reverse.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Nonsense. Private schools are a net benefit to society, and sending your children to them is the ethical thing to do, if you can afford it, not the reverse.
    OK not all of us then.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

I'm perfectly happy to discuss how the incompetent and complacent meddling of civil servants arrogating more and more power to themselves and making a shambles of everything due to their stupidity, and the self-aggrandisement of failed teachers like say, Chris Woodhead have led over many decades via the accelerations brought about by Cummings, Friedman, Gove, Morgan, Gibb and Spielman, to the current clusterfuck.
    And how about the self importance of some influential teacher's organisations who have, for decades, put ideology ahead of the best interests of the children. The anti-elitism that infects every corner of the teaching profession and which we as both former pupils and now parents still see rampant in our schools. Our whole state education sector has been based for the last 40 years on the principle of equality through lowest common denominator.

You choose to lay the blame on one side of the equation whilst conveniently forgetting the other side. I see the blame (more or less) equally on both sides.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

It's an extreme manifestation of politics being driven by those who can't/won't see any further than their own graves.

Not every oldie is a selfish old git, but a decisive number are.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

It's not about private schools, ultimately. One reason I think it's dumb to talk about tax structures and benefits and facilities and so on is it's a complete red herring.

The reason we have private schools is because our state system doesn't deliver the goods to the standard pushy parents want. If it did, they would not exist or at least, only in small numbers.

So what are the issues? Class sizes that are much too large is certainly one problem. A school day and term system that is not properly thought out and seems to be more about childcare than about the optimum system for education is a a second. A curriculum and assessment process that is designed around the prejudices of rather dim civil servants than a realistic appraisal of what would actually serve the children, our society and our economy well is a third. A tendency to micromanage by people who are so fucking clueless they seem to have spent most of lockdown having boozy parties and issuing three sets of HSE guidance a day while coming up with arbitrary dates on opening and closing schools is definitely a fourth.

But unfortunately, the biggest vested interest of the lot in education is the DfE and the civil service. And the system is entirely designed to suit them and unless they are all sent to a metaphorical Siberia there is no chance of it changing.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Yup, takes the burden off the state. Same as private healthcare, no reason for me to clog up the NHS when I can afford to go private.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

And how about the self importance of some influential teacher's organisations who have, for decades, put ideology ahead of the best interests of the children. The anti-elitism that infects every corner of the teaching profession and which we as both former pupils and now parents still see rampant in our schools. Our whole state education sector has been based for the last 40 years on the principle of equality through lowest common denominator.

You choose to lay the blame on one side of the equation whilst conveniently forgetting the other side. I see the blame (more or less) equally on both sides.
    Such as? (And don't quote Cummings as a source, please. He makes David Irving look honest.)

I agree with you to an extent about the anti-elitism, but that actually comes more from the civil service and the managers than from ordinary teachers. We respect bright people.

As for the lowest common denominator, again that is a function of the National Curriculum and - ironically - the grammar schools for all process, which was a civil service invention under first Wilson, carried on through Callaghan and then finally came to fruition under Thatcher.

I think it's easier to blame teachers than ask the really difficult question - if it's their fault, why have people ostensibly in power for so many years let them get away with it?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Indeed.

This is the sort of optimisation problem common in a certain genre of computer game, where the solution is to prioritise education/children at first, and then reap the rewards of a more productive economy later - allowing you to spend money on geriatric health care and education at the same time.

It's the same with investment in infrastructure and science/technology.

Britain seems to be doing the reverse - shaving the budgets that will deliver future growth in order to pay for the boomer generation now.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Yup, takes the burden off the state. Same as private healthcare, no reason for me to clog up the NHS when I can afford to go private.
    The problem is it also siphers off the best doctors and teachers.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Jonathan said:

Yep they have.

Such as? (And don't quote Cummings as a source, please. He makes David Irving look honest.)

I agree with you to an extent about the anti-elitism, but that actually comes more from the civil service and the managers than from ordinary teachers. We respect bright people.

As for the lowest common denominator, again that is a function of the National Curriculum and - ironically - the grammar schools for all process, which was a civil service invention under first Wilson, carried on through Callaghan and then finally came to fruition under Thatcher.

I think it's easier to blame teachers than ask the really difficult question - if it's their fault, why have people ostensibly in power for so many years let them get away with it?
    Because they had power. Because they should be listened to as the people delivering the education at the sharp end but when they were given that power and listened to they misused that power for ideological ends (note, as I said in my previous comment I am referring to teaching organisations rather than individual teachers).

If this is all the fault of Cummings and Gove then why did the UK PISA rankings drop from 7th in the world in 2000 to 26th in the world in 2009? At a time when Labour were supposedly spending lots more money on education? Our rankings had actually improved substantially between 2015 and 2018 - a time when teachers were decrying all the curriculum changes that were taking place.

Education is a mess and that is the fault of decades of anti-elitism and ideology. But teaching organisations bear a great deal of responsibility for that alongside the civil servants and politicians.

This discussion has been closed.