Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

These numbers need to be substantially better for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    nico679 said:

I don't think the "anti-growth coalition" meme is going to stick. It's naff. Hardly anybody is anti-growth, including the groups that Truss called out in her speech. It's really just "enemies of the people" writ large, and it seems to be the right's only weapon at the moment. Starmer is carefully inclusive.

I reckon people are sick of the divisive politics stuff that consists of "othering" groups, whether it be environmentalists, the BBC, lawyers, the civil service, people on benefits and so on. It's not going to work anymore. It had its heyday when Brexit was going on, but post-Covid it's passé.

Nadine on front page of Times comes out with full frontal attack and warns of lab landslide.

The Bring Back Boris brigade are on the march.

That is a brutal photograph on the front of The Times. I might buy a copy tomorrow just to cut that photo out and stick on the front door. It should keep all sorts of Door-to-door salesmen and preachers away.
    Truss looks demented ! The papers are pretty ugly so far for the Maggie Clone .
    Even the Mail is bad news. It failed to put up any picture of her. That in itself should worry her.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,287
    Chapeau to Dom Cummings.

She really is properly bonkers.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,106
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: King Charles III is expected to be crowned on Saturday, June 3 next year in a ceremony at Westminster Abbey in London, UK officials say https://trib.al/scMyUPW https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1577687117475504129/photo/1

Derby Day, unless it is moved.
    The Coronation will be over by
    2 30pm, the main race of the Derby does not start until 4 30pm
    There will not be enough police to cover both events. Not with the crowds that can reasonably be expected. One or the other will have to be postponed.
    Yes there will, Epsom is not in London it is in Surrey. The Met and a handful of other forces can deal with the coronation. I doubt the crowd would be much bigger than that for the London marathon on Sunday
    They take officers from across the country for events like this. There were ten thousand extra police on duty in London for the funeral and there are hardly likely to be substantially fewer for the coronation.

Edit - and incidentally Surrey draft extra officers in to manage Derby Day as well, which is hardly surprising given they have 1800 on traffic duty alone.
    I doubt the crowd will be as big as for the funeral and even 10,000 is less than 10% of the 110,000 UK police officers outside London
    Why should the rest of the UK pander to London royalists when they already have major UK events booked?
    As it is the coronation of their next head of state anointed by God. It hasn't happened for 70 years and they should show some damn respect!!!!

If you think that the God bit is so important - then I can't help remembering what happened when Charles I, II and III(A) pushed that line of argument about divine right.

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
    Well it led in Charles 1st case to the English civil war where you Scots ultimately ended up allied with him and were crushed by Cromwell and his new model army.

We then had the restoration of Charles II who was a popular monarch and ruled until his dying day. However Charles III, II and I were all anointed by God as the coronation will still make clear even if he is now a constitutional monarch.

Saturday for coronation day means I is not a bank holiday day either is it
    If you think Charles II was popular, I wonder where you studied history. And God must have got confused about Charles III(A) as he inherited his divine right from his dad James VII and II, according to your theory.

Anointing is not relevant as kings become kings instantly.
    Charles II certainly was popular, there was not a single revolt of any significance in his reign.

God divinely ordained that William III would succeed James II and the Jacobite rebellions would be crushed. There never was a Charles III until this one, only a Pretender. Kings may become King on the death of the previous monarch but they are not formally anointed by God until the coronation
    Not a single revolt of any significance

That's quite a low bar, surely
    Quite. MIlitary occupation of much of Scotland and recurrent battles and assassinations. Don't know about E&W. But going beyond Kwarteng wasn't popular at the time.
    Charles II was King for 25 years, successfully restored the monarchy after the Cromwellian period so that is still with us today and bar a few minor skirmishes and a few naval battles either the Dutch his reign was one of peace and prosperity (ignoring the Plague and Fire of London about which he could do little but which led to the building of the great St Paul's cathedral amongst others).

He was also a great patron of science and the arts and tried to increase freedom of religion for Roman Catholics and dissenters
    Religious tolerance only came with the Tolerance act of 1688 under William and Mary. Even then Catholics, some dissenters sects, Jews and atheists were barred from parliament and many government positions into the 19th century.
    For which blame Parliament.

Charles II gave a Royal Declaration of Indulgence in 1672 providing religious liberty to Roman Catholics and Protestant dissenters but Parliament rejected it and forced him to cancel it
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

FPT

Do any PBers still support Truss?

🙋‍♂️

I would 100% rather a tax cutting PM who is prepared to stand up to NIMBYs, even if they lose the next election, than a tax rising NIMBY pandering one.
    Me too. She's an idiot diviner. The bigger the prize plum, the more vocal they are in their fulminating disapproval of her.
    Spoiler: she ain't going to stand up to Nimbies.

Your average rural Tory backbencher won't even wear a solar farm within fifteen miles of anybody's house, let alone whatever madcap schemes we have coming for digging open cast mines or opening factories in the middle of national parks.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

FPT

🙋‍♂️

I would 100% rather a tax cutting PM who is prepared to stand up to NIMBYs, even if they lose the next election, than a tax rising NIMBY pandering one.
    Me too. She's an idiot diviner. The bigger the prize plum, the more vocal they are in their fulminating disapproval of her.
    I've spent nearly half a century selling the Conservatives on the doorstep.

I cannot divine any way to sell Truss to the voters.

If somebody ask "Did you vote for her?" I'd either have to lie (which I won't) or admit no, I did not.

The reply will fly back "Then why should I?"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,766
    Meanwhile in East Africa, the President of Uganda has had to apologise for his son (a General) threatening to invade Kenya, and boasting that he could take Nairobi in a fortnight.

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1576979191941062656?t=ok2_CdyrY0Y08QYh1nscZQ&s=19
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    pigeon said:

FPT

🙋‍♂️

Spoiler: she ain't going to stand up to Nimbies.

Your average rural Tory backbencher won't even wear a solar farm within fifteen miles of anybody's house, let alone whatever madcap schemes we have coming for digging open cast mines or opening factories in the middle of national parks.
    Truss is right, but apparently unaware that the very people who elected her are some of the biggest opponents of getting anything done in Britain.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I don't think the "anti-growth coalition" meme is going to stick. It's naff. Hardly anybody is anti-growth, including the groups that Truss called out in her speech. It's really just "enemies of the people" writ large, and it seems to be the right's only weapon at the moment. Starmer is carefully inclusive.

I reckon people are sick of the divisive politics stuff that consists of "othering" groups, whether it be environmentalists, the BBC, lawyers, the civil service, people on benefits and so on. It's not going to work anymore. It had its heyday when Brexit was going on, but post-Covid it's passé.

Notably Truss included people opposed to Brexit in her anti-growth coalition, which is a bit odd as one of the most cited reasons against Brexit is that it has damaged growth, probably by 4% GDP so far.

It is a meaningless rag-bag of people she doesn't like.
    She argued for Remain.

As William Keegan keeps saying the biggest anti-growth elephant in the room is leaving the SM.

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited October 2022
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/09/martin-lewis-calls-out-gov-on-figures-that-say-first-0/

A huge number of *normal* people pay attention to Martin Lewis. People trust his opinion. He’s getting more and more political.

Bad news for the tories.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,014
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

EXCLUSIVE: King Charles III is expected to be crowned on Saturday, June 3 next year in a ceremony at Westminster Abbey in London, UK officials say https://trib.al/scMyUPW https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1577687117475504129/photo/1

There will not be enough police to cover both events. Not with the crowds that can reasonably be expected. One or the other will have to be postponed.
    Yes there will, Epsom is not in London it is in Surrey. The Met and a handful of other forces can deal with the coronation. I doubt the crowd would be much bigger than that for the London marathon on Sunday
    They take officers from across the country for events like this. There were ten thousand extra police on duty in London for the funeral and there are hardly likely to be substantially fewer for the coronation.

Edit - and incidentally Surrey draft extra officers in to manage Derby Day as well, which is hardly surprising given they have 1800 on traffic duty alone.
    I doubt the crowd will be as big as for the funeral and even 10,000 is less than 10% of the 110,000 UK police officers outside London
    Why should the rest of the UK pander to London royalists when they already have major UK events booked?
    As it is the coronation of their next head of state anointed by God. It hasn't happened for 70 years and they should show some damn respect!!!!

If they aren't in Westminster for it they should be watching the anointing of their new sovereign on television

Would you expect people to cancel holidays? Many will have flights and ferries booked on that day as it’s the end of Whit week
    They certainly should, coronation day should take precedence over whatever else Charles' subjects may wish to do on that day
    why we didn't vote for the fuck
    So what, he is your divinely ordained Lord and Sovereign you oik!
    "Who voted for this?"
    We don't vote for our monarch that is the whole point, God anoints them for us as confirmed by Parliament
    Hang on.
    If God anoints them what power does Parliament have to prevent it?
    He only anoints those Parliament has selected via Act of Parliament setting out the succession.

Quite why God has delegated this to the Westminster Parliament is something of a mystery.

We're used to God moving in mysterious ways of course, but his modern methods of procedural arcanery feel somewhat lacking in, ahem, majesty, compared to his early work.
    On the eighth day, God got pissed as a fart and created the royal family and the Tory party.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758

FPT

🙋‍♂️

I agree she's an idiot diviner, I can tell that from your post.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Foxy said:

Meanwhile in East Africa, the President of Uganda has had to apologise for his son (a General) threatening to invade Kenya, and boasting that he could take Nairobi in a fortnight.

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1576979191941062656?t=ok2_CdyrY0Y08QYh1nscZQ&s=19

He’s Museveni’s presumed choice of successor. It’s a sad state of affairs in that beautiful country.

Not going to end well.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,235
    ping said:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/09/martin-lewis-calls-out-gov-on-figures-that-say-first-0/

A huge number of *normal* people pay attention to Martin Lewis. People trust his opinion. He’s getting more and more political.

Bad news for the tories.

He's only getting political because the Government are putting out dodgy facts, from the PM down. At least Sunak could articulate his policies.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,766
    Gomes and Tebet (3rd and 4th in the Brazilian election) have both endorsed Lula.

Lula is currently 1.36 to win.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,342

FPT

🙋‍♂️

If somebody ask "Did you vote for her?" I'd either have to lie (which I won't) or admit no, I did not.

You have however been cheering the Tories on as they worked their way down the barrel, which readers might wish to weigh against your evident distaste at finding the party now scraping the bottom.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Truss will hope she gets a conference bounce, otherwise she will have the shortest premiership since Douglas Home

On what basis is she going to get a bounce??? The more they see her, the more they find to dislike.
    So you reckon the polling could deteriorate further for Truss. Below 20% more likely than above 30%?
    What I find interesting is how women REALLY dislike her. Not saying she is exactly a hit with the men, but she really has a women problem.

My music has just selected Doves - Kingdom of Rust. Seems quite apposite....
    She is an idiot. I have been saying it for months and people on here have been going "Is she really that bad?".

Frankly, I have been amazed that anyone could doubt that she is a vapid, empty-headed, narcissistic waste of space. A living example of the Dunning Kruger effect.

Maybe other women have seen it too? Men often seem to miss emotional / personality cues.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    What a mess.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

HYUFD said:

Truss will hope she gets a conference bounce, otherwise she will have the shortest premiership since Douglas Home

On what basis is she going to get a bounce??? The more they see her, the more they find to dislike.
    So you reckon the polling could deteriorate further for Truss. Below 20% more likely than above 30%?
    What I find interesting is how women REALLY dislike her. Not saying she is exactly a hit with the men, but she really has a women problem.

Great album.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

If you think that the God bit is so important - then I can't help remembering what happened when Charles I, II and III(A) pushed that line of argument about divine right.

Seriously, it's a crass time in terms of established holidays. And we shouldn't be giging any mor ebank holidays. The country has to earn its living ((c) Cosnervative Party).
    Well it led in Charles 1st case to the English civil war where you Scots ultimately ended up allied with him and were crushed by Cromwell and his new model army.

We then had the restoration of Charles II who was a popular monarch and ruled until his dying day. However Charles III, II and I were all anointed by God as the coronation will still make clear even if he is now a constitutional monarch.

If you think Charles II was popular, I wonder where you studied history. And God must have got confused about Charles III(A) as he inherited his divine right from his dad James VII and II, according to your theory.

Charles II certainly was popular, there was not a single revolt of any significance in his reign.

God divinely ordained that William III would succeed James II and the Jacobite rebellions would be crushed. There never was a Charles III until this one, only a Pretender. Kings may become King on the death of the previous monarch but they are not formally anointed by God until the coronation

Quite. MIlitary occupation of much of Scotland and recurrent battles and assassinations. Don't know about E&W. But going beyond Kwarteng wasn't popular at the time.
    Charles II was King for 25 years, successfully restored the monarchy after the Cromwellian period so that is still with us today and bar a few minor skirmishes and a few naval battles either the Dutch his reign was one of peace and prosperity (ignoring the Plague and Fire of London about which he could do little but which led to the building of the great St Paul's cathedral amongst others).

He was also a great patron of science and the arts and tried to increase freedom of religion for Roman Catholics and dissenters
    Religious tolerance only came with the Tolerance act of 1688 under William and Mary. Even then Catholics, some dissenters sects, Jews and atheists were barred from parliament and many government positions into the 19th century.

Charles II gave a Royal Declaration of Indulgence in 1672 providing religious liberty to Roman Catholics and Protestant dissenters but Parliament rejected it and forced him to cancel it
    Might that have been because they were worried about Charles II's brother?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

But pointedly refrained from casting doubt on his grandfather's verdict on Our Lord's predilection for same sex rumpy pumpy.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,826
    "‘National uprising’ if benefits not hiked with inflation, says Gordon Brown"

https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/uk-news/liz-truss-gordon-brown-benefits-b2196275.html
  • Options

HYUFD said:

She is an idiot. I have been saying it for months and people on here have been going "Is she really that bad?".

Frankly, I have been amazed that anyone could doubt that she is a vapid, empty-headed, narcissistic waste of space. A living example of the Dunning Kruger effect.

Maybe other women have seen it too? Men often seem to miss emotional / personality cues.
    Not sure she is empty headed. From my view, her head is far too stuffed with ideas, but they are all her ideas and if you don't agree with them then you are the anti-growth brigade blocking her.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,106
    edited October 2022
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roman Catholics cannot be UK monarch even today but Roman Catholics still now have full freedoms to practice their faith and to vote and stand for Parliament and matriculate from Oxbridge and hold property which they did not in the 17th century
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954
    IanB2 said:

FPT

🙋‍♂️

You have however been cheering the Tories on as they worked their way down the barrel, which readers might wish to weigh against your evident distaste at finding the party now scraping the bottom.
    More joy in heaven over one sinner who repenteth etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    IanB2 said:

FPT

🙋‍♂️

Not really. I was one of the earliest advocates for throwing liar Boris under the bus.

Ironically, because there was no longer a way to sell him on the doorsteps....
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/uk-news/liz-truss-gordon-brown-benefits-b2196275.html

'hiked with inflation' = not cut in real terms. You know that right?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Andy_JS said:

He has got some cheek! I remember when he claimed he was doing the low paid a favour by scrapping the 10p tax rate. He tried and failed to sell it as a tax cut when it was the complete opposite.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
  • Options

FPT

🙋‍♂️

That's me told.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Andy_JS said:

They could raise them by 75p in honour of Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,768
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

“Formally anointed by God” is utterly HYUFD.
    Complete nonsense, but somehow delightful.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Do stop doing that.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

IanB2 said:

FPT

🙋‍♂️

Not really. I was one of the earliest advocates for throwing liar Boris under the bus.

Is it just me or does the sight of Liz Truss as PM just fill you with sadness? Left or right the PM mattered and the person in the post had some gravitas and deserved respect. If Liz Truss is PM, the post is not what it once was. Perhaps we as a nation no longer matter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roman Catholics cannot be UK monarch even today but Roman Catholics still now have full freedoms to practice their faith and to vote and stand for Parliament and matriculate from Oxbridge and hold property which they did not in the 17th century
    You don't matriculate from Oxford, you graduate from it. Fuck knows what this bridge stuff is.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Do stop doing that.
  • Options

FPT

🙋‍♂️

Me too. She's an idiot diviner. The bigger the prize plum…
    … the more likely they are to have a post in her administration.

She’s a divine idiot.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Even Rees Mogg is saying gotta be inflation linked.
  • Options
    I see the Mail is back on side, after yesterday's day off.

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,555
    class="Quote" rel="Anabobazina">Do any PBers still support Truss?

I’m not a PB Tory, and I don’t support her.

But. I fear this moment, and how history can repeat itself. And that makes me more than happy to be attacking Labour right now.

In 1974 When Sir Keith Joseph and Lady Thatcher set up the CPS to challenge the prevailing orthodoxy and post war consensus, and promote greater economic liberalism, they weren’t taken seriously at all - arguably all the votes in the 1974 elections were for the post war consensus and few for what they stood for, so what quickly changed? An unpopular and struggling Labour Party made whoever the opposition leader and whoever best placed to kick Labour out of power, popular and electable - this, ultimately, being the real basis of our electoral democracy, a lack of thought for what politicians actually believe in and will do with government, just kick one out for muggings to have go at it?

Where does liberalism actually become Libertarianism? Truss sang to us today not just traditional CPS standards on economic liberalism, now set into a modern Blukip setting - she also took the Nanny State onto the raised platform and garrotted it - online protections for children - healthy eating and living initiatives - energy savings we need to be making - garrotted , garrotted, garrotted in the name of liberty.

Go to the news this evening, take Truss philosophy and key moments from the speech, and imagine it in the hands of people who can actually write and deliver a speech, and who crucially ride high in the polls due to a struggling Labour government. And then let’s see you laugh at it. I don’t support it, but I do fear it. I fear it not taken seriously enough, not directly challenged enough.

The UK has huge challenges it has been ignoring and fiddling around for far too long - everyone needs to put answers to them on the table and go with them when in power - leaving only your opponents as the ones offering up such simple solutions to the nations problems is a dangerous game to play. I’m not attacking Labour to hurt them, but to wake them up.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

As does Smith, the DWP minister. Presumably she has to resign if Truss doesn't up rate. Smith called for unity and said she was a team player on BBC Pol show this morning.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That's it, isn't it? She's an idiot. She is the Chance the Gardener of modern politics. People looking for something profound in the mundane.

Idiot you can just about live with if followed by savant. But no, it is just that lonely epithet.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

As does Smith, the DWP minister. Presumably she has to resign if Truss doesn't up rate. Smith called for unity and said she was a team player on BBC Pol show this morning.
    Does she? Some Tory wombat was saying on PM she was cogitating about it and we should all be patient. Simon Clarke?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

Do stop doing that.
    Really fucking disturbing. Genuinely.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

“Formally anointed by God” is utterly HYUFD.
    Complete nonsense, but somehow delightful.
    Yes, God in a morning coat and polished black shoes rather than a onesie.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Great album.
    Mch bttr thn rdhd
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

It was suggested upthread that I would put kiwifruit on a pizza, which is a vile smear.

Nobody in NZ would do this.

On the other hand, you can get something called a “kiwi burger”, which is like a normal beef burger but includes a fried egg and beetroot.

If I’m honest, it’s not actually very good.

Kiwifruit is too mild in flavour, and too mushy.

Pineapple works due to strong flavour and texture, just as it does on gammon.
    Also pineapple is an excellent meat tenderiser, and the acid esterifies the fat of the ham, producing a synthesis of flavour.
    So is alcohol - cider with braised pork - beer for braised beef.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

Speaking of polls and elections, a female Prime Minister going for an early election....

Not Liz Truss but Mette Frederiksen who has called a snap poll for the Folketing on November 1st which of course clashes with the Melbourne Cup.

The latest Megafon poll (fieldwork today) so conducted after yesterday's announcement had (changes from 2019 election):

Social Democrats: 25.4% (-0.5)
    Venstre: 13.0% (-10.4)
    Conservative: 11.6% (+5.0)
    Denmark Democrats: 9.7% (new)
    Socialist People's Party: 8.9% (+1.2)
    Red-Green Alliance: 7.9% (+1.0)
    Moderates: 6.2% (new)
    Liberal Alliance: 4.5% (+2.2)
    The New Right: 4.4% (+2.0)
    Radikale Venstre: 4.1% (-4.5)
    Dansk Folkeparti: 2.0% (-6.7)

That's everyone above the 2% threshold. Totalling up the votes between all the parties (including those under the 2% threshold) and the centre-left bloc has a 1.3% lead but that is cut to 1.1% with parties just over 2% and of course the Dansk Folkeparti is right on the brink of representation.

In terms of seats, the projection is 83 for the centre-left and 81 for the centre-right and holding the balance is the new Moderates Party led, not by Birgitte Nyborg as I had expected but by former PM Lars-Lokke Rasmussen. His party would win 6.2% of the vote and 11 seats on the Megafon numbers.

Rasmussen split off from Venstre but he's picked his words very carefully and has not committed to either side. Can we see him in a Government with the Denmark Democrats or is he more likely to back the Social Democrats?

Exciting times ahead.

One of these days you will slip an election poll and write up in from early Borgen - just to keep us on our toes.
  • Options

The UK has huge challenges it has been ignoring and fiddling around for far too long - everyone needs to put answers to them on the table and go with them when in power - leaving only your opponents as the ones offering up such simple solutions to the nations problems is a dangerous game to play. I’m not attacking Labour to hurt them, but to wake them up.

Just as a matter of interest, where is Truss's Keith Joseph? Where are the think tanks brimming with radical ideas? Where is the intellectual heft? Where are the challenges elucidated and analysed?

What we have instead is a government boasting of a subsidy worth 6.5% of GDP, and which will do nothing to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and gas.

What we have is a government looking to maintain the triple lock, even though an incontinent squirrel knows that means a continuing real term rise.

What we have is a government that hasn't even noticed that we run a massive current account deficit, and that the piper needs to be paid.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

🙋‍♂️

Is it just me or does the sight of Liz Truss as PM just fill you with sadness? Left or right the PM mattered and the person in the post had some gravitas and deserved respect. If Liz Truss is PM, the post is not what it once was. Perhaps we as a nation no longer matter.
    Perhaps it is that the post of PM has been so debased. People had hope that Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air. A month in, he took a million off Bernie Ecclestone, then got us into the Iraq war on a false prospectus before going off to make tens of millions from some distinctly unsavoury sorts.

Then Gordon Brown - "no more boom and bust" until the most spectacular bust.

Then David Cameron- who had promise, but then read the EU so wrong in expecting to get a material renegotiation and then belittling them when they didn't agree his renegotiation wasn't a pile of shite, before toddling off to a shepherd's hut when he had said he would stay to sort out Brexit.

Then Theresa May. Someone who didn't make the role of PM shine, leading on to...

Boris. Who treated the role with utter disdain.

And so to Liz Truss. Sigh. That's all I can summon up. A sigh.
  • Options

So supportive that on Ms Truss's Big Speech Day they run with a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge on the front page?

A great example of lip service. That lot are busy sharpening the knives in a back room somewhere ...
  • Options

I've just seen the clips of Truss's speech and found out that I am anti growth!!!!

That's news to me!

Post of the week. 🫡
  • Options
    Interesting paper on the Covid virus.
    Scientists have identified a novel mechanism by which it inhibits cellular processes.

SARS-CoV-2 disrupts host epigenetic regulation via histone mimicry
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05282-z
    Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) emerged at the end of 2019 and caused the devastating global pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), in part because of its ability to effectively suppress host cell responses1,2,3. In rare cases, viral proteins dampen antiviral responses by mimicking critical regions of human histone proteins4,5,6,7,8, particularly those containing post-translational modifications required for transcriptional regulation9,10,11. Recent work has demonstrated that SARS-CoV-2 markedly disrupts host cell epigenetic regulation12,13,14. However, how SARS-CoV-2 controls the host cell epigenome and whether it uses histone mimicry to do so remain unclear. Here we show that the SARS-CoV-2 protein encoded by ORF8 (ORF8) functions as a histone mimic of the ARKS motifs in histone H3 to disrupt host cell epigenetic regulation. ORF8 is associated with chromatin, disrupts regulation of critical histone post-translational modifications and promotes chromatin compaction. Deletion of either the ORF8 gene or the histone mimic site attenuates the ability of SARS-CoV-2 to disrupt host cell chromatin, affects the transcriptional response to infection and attenuates viral genome copy number. These findings demonstrate a new function of ORF8 and a mechanism through which SARS-CoV-2 disrupts host cell epigenetic regulation. Further, this work provides a molecular basis for the finding that SARS-CoV-2 lacking ORF8 is associated with decreased severity of COVID-19.
  • Options
    The state of Florida…

https://twitter.com/pbpost/status/1577451252660723713
    All Florida female student athletes have to report their menstrual history to play. A third party has access to that info, and parents and doctors are raising red flags
  • Options
    @IshmaelZ dissed Radiohead and therefore has been banned.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    Good polling for Keir in Scotland.

Not too long ago I suggested SLAB had a decent chance in at least half a dozen seats, and that focusing on them should be a strategic imperative within Labour’s broader national campaign.

Of course this was pooh-poohed by the SNP fanbois.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Truss is the worst public speaker in a leading role in my entire adult life frankly.

She comes across as hopelessly dire on BBC headline news.

Will that matter?

I think it will.

She reminds me of one of those candidates on The Apprentice who bang on about being able to sell anything, then do their big "pitch" and are totally incoherent and unable to answer even the simplest question in a way that would embarrass a trainee Primary School teacher.
    Nailed it 👍🏻
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Nigelb said:

The state of Florida…

https://twitter.com/pbpost/status/1577451252660723713
    All Florida female student athletes have to report their menstrual history to play. A third party has access to that info, and parents and doctors are raising red flags

The state of the USA. Women in the US no longer trust doctors / nurses / etc after the Roe v Wade issue in case any menstrual "irregularities" get them prosecuted by zealots
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

@IshmaelZ dissed Radiohead and therefore has been banned.

There are topics on here more worthy of a ban than criticising some early 2000s caterwaulers. The place is overrun with Tories and Liz Truss supporters! The management needs to act!!!!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    edited October 2022

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

🙋‍♂️

Perhaps it is that the post of PM has been so debased. People had hope that Tony Blair was a breath of fresh air. A month in, he took a million off Bernie Ecclestone, then got us into the Iraq war on a false prospectus before going off to make tens of millions from some distinctly unsavoury sorts.

Then David Cameron- who had promise, but then read the EU so wrong in expecting to get a material renegotiation and then belittling them when they didn't agree his renegotiation wasn't a pile of shite, before toddling off to a shepherd's hut when he had said he would stay to sort out Brexit.

Then Theresa May. Someone who didn't make the role of PM shine, leading on to...

Perhaps there is a structural problem with British politics, or at least, the way it interacts with the press.

We should ban foreign and non-dom ownership of the press, and we need reform on party donations too.

And the BBC needs to rediscover what public service news broadcasting is.
  • Options
    OK.

I may have been a bit hasty.

@IshmaelZ has been unbanned.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Jonathan said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

🙋‍♂️

All the occupants before Truss had some talent, some gravitas, something that you could point to and say yes, that’s why they are prime minister. She is not a communicator like Blair or Johnson. She is not an earnest troubled thinker like May or Brown. She’s not a born to rule smooth talker like Cameron. She has nothing. A poor pastiche.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

:+1:
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,478
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

I worry he'll be left thinking "what the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here" after that experience :cry:

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,235
  • Options
    Phew
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,094
    Carnyx said:

@carnyx @Eabhal FPT

Been reading more about the 1950s Stone of Destiny heist/repatriation- what an extraordinary story. Going to try to dig out the Robert Carlyle film.

Hamilton's book is fun, as I recall.
    Just watched the picture – never heard of it before, nor the story.

I can see some fun and games before the Coronation. Remarkable stuff.
  • Options
    Interesting comment on Twitter:

“Russia showed up to a knife fight with a nuclear bomb and is afraid to use it, and is now getting sliced up by knives.”
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Was that a reconsideration of the merits of Ishmael, or Radiohead ?
    Surely not the latter.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Gomes and Tebet (3rd and 4th in the Brazilian election) have both endorsed Lula.

Lula is currently 1.36 to win.

I’m still sticking with 54-46 Lula
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Are you sure? He is a bit weird isn’t he?

Meanwhile, what do you make of OPEC (Saud) aligned with Putin on oil cuts - failure of US and UK diplomacy, or just temptation to carpet bag was understandably too great?
  • Options

So supportive that on Ms Truss's Big Speech Day they run with a picture of the Duchess of Cambridge on the front page?

A great example of lip service. That lot are busy sharpening the knives in a back room somewhere ...
    Murdochs Times very unsupportive, and Telegraph choose this moment to flag up the amount of fiscal drag stealth tax in Kwasi’s Growth Budget.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I’m half way through the audio version of Edward Chancellor’s “The Price of Time”

It’s a history of interest rates.

Dry, anyone? Well yes. But perseverance pays off.

The first few chapters are pretty much unreadable/unlistenable to, but the book has really perked up. His dissection of investment manias is excellent.

Well written and enjoyable.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Just as a matter of interest, where is Truss's Keith Joseph? Where are the think tanks brimming with radical ideas? Where is the intellectual heft? Where are the challenges elucidated and analysed?

What we have instead is a government boasting of a subsidy worth 6.5% of GDP, and which will do nothing to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and gas.

What we have is a government looking to maintain the triple lock, even though an incontinent squirrel knows that means a continuing real term rise.

What we have is a government that hasn't even noticed that we run a massive current account deficit, and that the piper needs to be paid.
    I have Truss as Sir Keith Joseph in my reimagining of the 70s playing out in 2020s. If I sound like a lone loony voice to your ears, someone flagging up the 1980’s, end of post war consensus and social market economy, eighteen straight years of Thatcherism and its influence beyond that into years of New Labour would have sounded a lone loony voice in 1974, would they have not?

“a government boasting of a subsidy worth 6.5% of GDP, and which will do nothing to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and gas.” You know I stand with you not liking the policy, but where would the Tories be this week without hiding behind it like a shield? That’s why they went for it, not because it was sound as you imply - it even jars with the rest of their messaging - but they needed that shield to hide behind - both Mail and Express pick up the Tempest word on todays front pages.

On a lighter note, Truss waving her skinny fists at Think Tanks today - despite being surrounded by think tank wonks - one was recently still being paid by a think till publicly outed. 🙂
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Phew

You upset Ilúvatar. Lucky you weren’t just unmade or something 🤭
  • Options
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

OK.

Very prime ministerial…
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    @AmbJohnBolton
    My new article's headline is clear-- "Putin must go: Now is the time for regime change in Russia." There is no long-term prospect for achieving America’s critical, long-standing goal of peace and security in Europe without regime change in Russia.

https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1577649887705010176
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    I occasionally listen to the the telegraph’s intensely annoying podcast. There are occasionally some interesting nuggets.

This week, Nick Timothy;

“Liz’s start has been extraordinary. I don’t think there’s been a prime minister with an agenda that unravels quite so quickly, certainly in my lifetime and maybe never in modern democratic politics.”

Indeed.
  • Options

FPT

🙋‍♂️

But twice as many activists would get that response about Sunak, so of all the objections to her Premiership, that seems the weakest.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,231
    BETTING POST

Long, amusingly catty round-up of Nobel Literature runners & riders, including odds:

https://newrepublic.com/article/167921/will-win-2022-nobel-prize-literature?ref=The+Browser-newsletter
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

Rough Scottish Seat Prediction:
    SNP - 49 (+1)
    Labour - 7 (+6)
    Lib Dems - 3 (-1)
    Tories lose all 6 Scottish Seats.

Labour is coming home

Nope, on the new boundaries the seat projection is:

SNP 52 seats (+4)
    SLab 3 seats (+2)
    SLD 2 seats (nc)
    SCon 0 seats (-6)

The new boundaries are incredibly cruel to the Unionist parties.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

BETTING POST

Long, amusingly catty round-up of Nobel Literature runners & riders, including odds:

https://newrepublic.com/article/167921/will-win-2022-nobel-prize-literature?ref=The+Browser-newsletter

- Sadly, it won’t be Hilary Mantel, who passed away shortly after Marías, therefore robbing us of the opportunity to observe the notoriously even-keeled English media try to square her acerbic anti-monarchism with its own deranged deification of Queen Elizabeth II. It would have been soul-stirring to see The Sun’s headline: “DEPRAVED QUEEN HATER WINS FOREIGN AWARD.”
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,231

carnforth said:

BETTING POST

- Sadly, it won’t be Hilary Mantel, who passed away shortly after Marías, therefore robbing us of the opportunity to observe the notoriously even-keeled English media try to square her acerbic anti-monarchism with its own deranged deification of Queen Elizabeth II. It would have been soul-stirring to see The Sun’s headline: “DEPRAVED QUEEN HATER WINS FOREIGN AWARD.”
    I enjoyed

“Recently, following the horrific attack on Salman Rushdie, David Remnick and Bernard-Henri Lévy both published columns arguing that the novelist deserves the Nobel in recognition of his work on behalf of free expression—and also because he was brutally stabbed (and also—implicitly—because he had to endure the indignity of convalescing in Western New York).”
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Truss is the worst public speaker in a leading role in my entire adult life frankly.

She comes across as hopelessly dire on BBC headline news.

Will that matter?

I think it will.

She reminds me of one of those candidates on The Apprentice who bang on about being able to sell anything, then do their big "pitch" and are totally incoherent and unable to answer even the simplest question in a way that would embarrass a trainee Primary School teacher.
    It is not school teachers who spring to mind when I observe Truss, but rather school children. She has a childlike quality that sits ill with a great office of state.

Is it the skinniness? The false bravado? The naïveté? The sense that she is practicing rather than doing? The faltering voice? The agonising gaps as she tries to come up with the right answer? The crush on her favourite teacher Miss Brodie Mrs Thatcher, who she hasn’t realised is in love with Benito? The string of Fails in all her subjects? The experimentation?

Spitting Image, Private Eye or Viz ought to consider a ‘Behind the Bike Shed’ feature with Pretty Liz and her sidekick Beefy Coffey trying out fags to impress the boys. Kalamity Kwasi is seen sneaking off sheepishly, sniffing his fingers.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

BETTING POST

I enjoyed

“Recently, following the horrific attack on Salman Rushdie, David Remnick and Bernard-Henri Lévy both published columns arguing that the novelist deserves the Nobel in recognition of his work on behalf of free expression—and also because he was brutally stabbed (and also—implicitly—because he had to endure the indignity of convalescing in Western New York).”
    Yes, the whole article is well worth a read. Cattiness is an underrated tool.

But the odds? Forget it. The Swedish Academy are nothing if not unpredictable. And I seem to remember strong evidence for insiders abusing the markets in previous years.
  • Options
    *** NEW THREAD ***
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Rough Scottish Seat Prediction:
    SNP - 49 (+1)
    Labour - 7 (+6)
    Lib Dems - 3 (-1)
    Tories lose all 6 Scottish Seats.

Labour is coming home

Lib Dems benefit from the collapse of the Tory vote the most, I woild imagine they dont drop amy seats and could easily pick 1 (or more, need the get the spreadsheet out).

Of course my thinking is based on old boundaries so many notnsurvive updated constituency lines.
This discussion has been closed.