Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

So can Truss turn this round for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Also FPT, but relevant here:

Did Liz put forward a solution to the energy situation at the hustings??

Just asking hopefully 👍

Does this help?

👀One to bookmark

Nick Ferrari: "You’ll be aware in France they talked about the possibility of energy rationing. Can you rule that out?"

Liz Truss: "I do rule that out. Yes".

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1565057693492068358

Liz Truss is asked whether she can repeat what Boris Johnson said in 2019: "There will be no new taxes, read my lips".

She replies: "Yes. No new taxes".

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1565054559717933058

Asked specifically if there will be another windfall tax, she rules it out: "No". (Some Tories feel that with energy companies profits soaring, this will be inevitable).

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1565058867171676169

This isn't going to end well, is it?
    To keep giving hostages to fortune like this, when everyone knows she is already home and dry seems insane. Incoming events are going to be brutal, and I don't see any sign of her having the same Reality Shield that protected Boris.
    I think she genuinely cannot stop herself blurting out reflex responses without considering the implications of her answers.

I may well be wrong but I feel she could quickly become a national object of ridicule, making ludicrous pronouncement after pronouncement. Like Trump but without Trump's weird but clearly effective charisma.
    Didn't hurt Cameron. He was always making up policies on the hoof and leaving people to clear up the mess.
    I am certainly no fan of Cameron (a self-entitled no-talent posh-boy) but which ludicrous pronouncements of his did you have in mind? Aside from airy immigration targets, I can't think of many.
    Well he did say he would trigger Article 50 the very next day if Leave won the Brexit vote.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,152
    LPM carefully considered front line opinion:

Liz isn't going to sort it out! 😡
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Thursday’s CITY A.M. - “Pound To Hit Dollar Low” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1565077475872411658/photo/1

Total Sterling meltdown. Truss is useless. But didn't it reach 1.05 in 1980? I may be wrong DYOR.

Anyway inflation was lower in 1980 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡
    Rises in interest rates coming. Another thing to tip folk over the edge.
    With luck interest rates will climb into double digits and there'll then be an almighty house price crash. It's the one thing that might finally send the Conservatives' support into proper freefall.
    Depends if cheaper house prices mean more people can buy a house.

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Thursday’s CITY A.M. - “Pound To Hit Dollar Low” #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1565077475872411658/photo/1

Total Sterling meltdown. Truss is useless. But didn't it reach 1.05 in 1980? I may be wrong DYOR.

With luck interest rates will climb into double digits and there'll then be an almighty house price crash. It's the one thing that might finally send the Conservatives' support into proper freefall.
    Just killed a purchase on account of this risk.
    Look, you're an elderly rich guy. Why does it matter if you're buying for cash, whether prices slump 20% or not?

PS When I say elderly I mean lateish middle aged obv
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,247
    kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

I think you're wise to wait. It is all far too volatile. Winter could go any which way

London might actually benefit as a safe haven, and prices could soar. Or property prices could crater because war, famine, plague

Either way why add this new stress to your life if you are reasonably content where you are? Which you seem to be

I have shelved all thoughts of moving for the same reason. I like where I am. It's not perfect, but I like it a lot. I feel safe, connected and generally happy. I can walk to the Groucho Club through Regent's Park, and I regularly do so. That's good for the heart
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,275
    kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

We're hoping to exchange on the sale of my late mum's house this week🤞

I bloody well hope it doesn't fall through at this stage!
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

I think you're wise to wait. It is all far too volatile. Winter could go any which way

London might actually benefit as a safe haven, and prices could soar. Or property prices could crater because war, famine, plague

Either way why add this new stress to your life if you are reasonably content where you are? Which you seem to be

I have shelved all thoughts of moving for the same reason. I like where I am. It's not perfect, but I like it a lot. I feel safe, connected and generally happy. I can walk to the Groucho Club through Regent's Park, and I regularly do so. That's good for the heart
    Glad you are back Leon 👍
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    glw said:

The Tory government has put a succession of laissez-faire plodders into BEIS, and Liz Truss threatens to top it with a man so incompetent he is not sure which century we are in.

I have no idea how JRM is seen as anything but an arrogant idiot. How the hell the Tories have concluded that he appeals to the electorate and is competent enough to be in the cabinet is completey beyond my ken.

As far as I can tell the Tory Party has gone completely stark raving mad.
    Brexit has delivered power to a bunch of loons and chancers. But this ends at the next election, I think.
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

The walk or the club?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    IshmaelZ said:

Why is Labour behind?

Labour ties

Why is Labour tying?

Labour pulls ahead

Why is Labour not further ahead?

Labour pulls 15 points ahead

Keir Starmer will always be useless because the same people who say so wouldn't vote for him anyway

Why is KSICIPM?

Keir Starmer is crap is prime minister

Phatboi John owls did Ed is crap is pm posts every bloody day 2013 to 15. Why anyone thinks a reprise is OK is anybody's guess
    Might be true this time.

He only has to deny Truss a majority to become PM.

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes hope not. We did pull out early so as not to be too disruptive. Still not a nice feeling.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    You can’t trust Liz.

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

Glad you are back Leon 👍
    I never left. I just *threatened* to flounce in a fey balletic way

I did get frustrated with the low-fi quality of debate on here - and most of the lefties on here are criminally fucking stupid, as we all know - but then I thought: where is better? There isn't anywhere

There literally isn't anywhere on the entire internet, as far as I can see. And that is a credit to @MikeSmithson and @rcs1000 and @TheScreamingEagles

I may despair of the site, at times. But I despair of the Rest of the Internet, even more
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,533
    So Truss has now said she’s basically agreed with Sunak after she realized her policy to tackle the energy crisis would go down like a bucket of sick .

She spent the last 6 weeks saying one thing and now will do something else .
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    nico679 said:

So Truss has now said she’s basically agreed with Sunak after she realized her policy to tackle the energy crisis would go down like a bucket of sick .

Details?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    edited August 2022
    Winning every single vote and election since 2005 and being in despair at the state of the nation.
    Conclusion?
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

Yes. Sad because it was on the river and all that but just couldn't get happy with the risk of a chunky price correction coming between now and next Spring.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    So it is Government money (£30b) going into SizeBoris C. Even though EDF have financial troubles of their own.
    edited August 2022

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

The walk or the club?
    Everything. The walk, the club, the people at the club - the friends and dates and the rest. That's an intrinsically healthy way to live

I've often looked enviously at the old guys contentedly playing cards in Greek towns and thought: Heck, that's what I'd like in my later years. Just sit down with old friends and have repeated old arguments and laugh at old stories, and drink cheap but decent wine, and then go home. and then repeat. That's why people live til they're 90 in Crete

And then I realised: wait, that's what I do in Camden and London. I see old friends and drink cheap decent wine in the Groucho and I go to Whole Foods and I buy fennel and I repeat. Then I fly off to Bangkok in winter

It'll do. It will certainly DO
    nico679 said:

Telegraph currently leading on her vague plan to scrap motorway speed limits.

Last I heard everyone was driving at a steady 60 to keep the petrol costs down.

She lives in a different world.

As will become plain from day one of this disaster of an administration.

• nico679nico679 Posts: 4,533
    kinabalu said:

glw said:

The Tory government has put a succession of laissez-faire plodders into BEIS, and Liz Truss threatens to top it with a man so incompetent he is not sure which century we are in.

I have no idea how JRM is seen as anything but an arrogant idiot. How the hell the Tories have concluded that he appeals to the electorate and is competent enough to be in the cabinet is completey beyond my ken.

Brexit has delivered power to a bunch of loons and chancers. But this ends at the next election, I think.
    For that you have to have confidence in the electorate ! I’ll only believe it on the night once the results are in . The Tories have a huge advantage with a mainly arse licking press , the BBC cowered by threats of closure and a bank of voters who will be showered with gifts before the GE and expected to forget the last 12 years .
    edited August 2022
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes hope not. We did pull out early so as not to be too disruptive. Still not a nice feeling.
    You have to do what's right for you. Previous buyers of my mum's house pulled out because their buyers, or someone down the chain got cold feet, or more charitably, had a change of circumstances. These things happen.

But quite honestly, I just want closure now. And I'm thinking we'd be having to reduce the price a bit if we re-marketed in the autumn.

IshmaelZ said:

Why is Labour behind?

Labour ties

Why is Labour tying?

Labour pulls ahead

Why is Labour not further ahead?

Labour pulls 15 points ahead

Keir Starmer will always be useless because the same people who say so wouldn't vote for him anyway

Why is KSICIPM?

Keir Starmer is crap is prime minister

Phatboi John owls did Ed is crap is pm posts every bloody day 2013 to 15. Why anyone thinks a reprise is OK is anybody's guess
    Might be true this time.

He only has to deny Truss a majority to become PM.

Oh fo sho. Prolly going to back him for next PM after Truss. It's just the militant wrongness of bjo that needs laughing at
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

Yes. Sad because it was on the river and all that but just couldn't get happy with the risk of a chunky price correction coming between now and next Spring.
    Unless you had urgent emotional reasons to move I am sure you made the right decision. This is not an autumn for risky, major life moves

Advance with caution
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    If the London hustings is anything to go by Rishi is more popular with that particular segment of the party.
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Look, you're an elderly rich guy. Why does it matter if you're buying for cash, whether prices slump 20% or not?

That's valid but it's a mental thing. I'd beat myself up if 6 months later the market has turned and I've bought at the frothy top when I'd actually seen that exact risk. I don't see much risk the other way - ie of prices carrying on rising - and plus we don't really need to move urgently. It can wait a bit.
  • It will be extremely difficult for Truss to win a 5th term but she has one big weapon.....Starmer.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046

It will be extremely difficult for Truss to win a 5th term but she has one big weapon.....Starmer.

She also has another big weapon - the world has contrived to lower expectations about as low as humanly possible for her.
    Liz Truss getting libertarians excited at the London hustings by implying she might consider axing the speed limit on motorways. I can't see it happening though.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

It's always darkest before the dawn.

Anyone who says that has clearly never stayed up through the night: it is very definitely not darkest just before dawn.
    At any rate by 10.18PM it's too dark for people (or they're too drunk) to detect sarcasm when they see it.
    rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Anyone who says that has clearly never stayed up through the night: it is very definitely not darkest just before dawn.
    Well Mama Cass said it is and that's good enough for me.
    edited August 2022

It will be extremely difficult for Truss to win a 5th term but she has one big weapon.....Starmer.

Conversely, it will be extremely difficult for Starmer to overturn a majority of 80 to become PM but he has one big weapon.....Truss.
    Andy_JS said:

Liz Truss getting libertarians excited at the London hustings by implying she might consider axing the speed limit on motorways. I can't see it happening though.

Yeah.
    My standard of living has taken a huge hit.
    So I'll drive at 100.
    That or sort myself out.
    Why not?

She also has another big weapon - the world has contrived to lower expectations about as low as humanly possible for her.
    Your average punter doesn't have much idea who she is.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    edited August 2022
    Andy_JS said:

No chance. Maybe she'll increase the motorway speed limit to 80mph, but anyone who isn't loaded (like for example a Tory member) won't drive that fast anyway as they'll be trying to be economical with their petrol use.
    nico679 said:

kinabalu said:

glw said:

For that you have to have confidence in the electorate ! I’ll only believe it on the night once the results are in . The Tories have a huge advantage with a mainly arse licking press , the BBC cowered by threats of closure and a bank of voters who will be showered with gifts before the GE and expected to forget the last 12 years .
    Yes, I'm sweet on the electorate atm. I think I've been too hard on them at times.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

I don't think you need to worry about that. I've rarely experienced such a bouyant property market, and it is very unusual for house prices to drop in nominal terms during a period of high inflation.
    dixiedean said:

I mean expectations of how dreadful the next 6 months are going to be.

She comes out with something quite coherent on energy, and it all turns out a good deal less dramatic than it seems currently, that will stand her in excellent stead.

Baptism of ice.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Yeah.
    So I'll drive at 100.
    That or sort myself out.
    Why not?
    Wir fahr'n, fahr'n, fahr'n auf der Autobahn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iukUMRlaBBE
    Andy_JS said:

All sounds like fiddling with a speedometer while Rome burns to the ground frankly.

dixiedean said:

She comes out with something quite coherent on energy, and it all turns out a good deal less dramatic than it seems currently, that will stand her in excellent stead.

Baptism of ice.
    "She comes out with something quite coherent on energy..."

Can you see the flaw in your argument yet?
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

Glad you are back Leon 👍

I did get frustrated with the low-fi quality of debate on here - and most of the lefties on here are criminally fucking stupid, as we all know - but then I thought: where is better? There isn't anywhere

There literally isn't anywhere on the entire internet, as far as I can see. And that is a credit to @MikeSmithson and @rcs1000 and @TheScreamingEagles

I may despair of the site, at times. But I despair of the Rest of the Internet, even more
    Hopefully you saw my very sweet comment where I credited you with prose skills, a rich vocab, a GSOH and a "lively intelligence".
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Andy_JS said:

All sounds like fiddling with a speedometer while Rome burns to the ground frankly.
    I've put forward the notion that Truss might be dangerously stupid, and as yet I see no reason to waiver from my earlier assessment. I've got my fingers crossed that this is all some clever feint to win the leadership election, but I fear I'll soon be thinking "he's was a lazy useless liar, but he wasn't this bad!"

dixiedean said:

Baptism of ice.

Well, we don't have long to wait to find out.
    Jonathan said:

You can’t trust Liz.

Trust Truss.
    glw said:

Andy_JS said:

I've put forward the notion that Truss might be dangerously stupid, and as yet I see no reason to waiver from my earlier assessment. I've got my fingers crossed that this is all some clever feint to win the leadership election, but I fear I'll soon be thinking "he's was a lazy useless liar, but he wasn't this bad!"
    Dom has told us what he thinks about Truss.

I worry that the one thing he is good at is judging people.

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Yeah.
    So I'll drive at 100.
    That or sort myself out.
    Why not?

Spot the old guy.
  • dixiedean said:

Baptism of ice.

More likely, even if this winter is managed well, it's going to feel pretty awful. And there's always a lag between a decision and it taking effect on the ground.

This leadership campaign really has been a wicked waste of time.

dixiedean said:

Baptism of ice.

That's true.

Andy_JS said:

FFS!

Why can't she focus on the things that *really* matter to voters during the CoL crisis... like stopping boat people, or forcing the metropolitan elite to use imperial measurements.
    Mogg is headed to BEIS apparently who are in charge of weights and measures I think.

Also this modern thing called steam power which he will probably want to outlaw before an MP is run over by a steam train.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

dixiedean said:

Baptism of ice.

You do have a very eclectic mix for your fan worship. First Putin, now Truss.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,160
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

Yes. Sad because it was on the river and all
    that but just couldn't get happy with the risk of
    a chunky price correction coming between
    now and next Spring.
    During the early 1990s housing recession I recall the borough with the lowest falls in the whole country (and for most of those years no falls at all) was Richmond. A pretty safe investment. The other thing is property has generally done well during stagflation, as in the 70s, because the real value of mortgages erodes.

Not much news on pensions (where’s Alistair when you need him) but I assume those huge corporate and public sector pension deficits are all disappearing fast and turning into big surpluses in this new inflationary world. Only a slight increase in annuity rates would be enough.

Andy_JS said:

As someone who travels 40,000 miles a year and has done so for the last 35 years, that is f*****' nuts. The practicality, particularly on smart motorways, is that the inevitably greater number of accidents from an unlimited speed limit will slow the system down rather than speed it up.

Still, I live in Wales so our maximum motorway speed limit of 20 mph means I only have to worry about Liz's motorway halfwittery for about 6000 miles each year.

She is bonkers!
    How many of the ageing membership can actually still drive?

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Yeah.
    So I'll drive at 100.
    That or sort myself out.
    Why not?

Incredible to think this was 50 years ago basically. Timeless.

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Andy_JS said:

That wasn't my take - there's a speed limit of 60 on a stretch I do every morning "For air quality". It's very annoying, and there's absolubtely no justification for it other than some Greta points.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,787
    An oil tanker has run aground in the Suez Canal...
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

I don't think you need to worry about that. I've rarely experienced such a bouyant property market, and it is very unusual for house prices to drop in nominal terms during a period of high inflation.
    It is unusual, yes, and London property writes its own rules much of the time, but I do think there's a good chance of prices next Spring Summer being quite a bit down on where they've been this year. Also the tone of the market I see likely switching from a sellers one to a more nuetral or buyers one - which is far far better if you are buying. You can think more clearly and make better decisions if you're not getting swept up in excitable competitive time pressured bidding situations.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770

That's gonna be expensive.

More good news.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richmond?

Glad you are back Leon 👍

This is indeed the number 1 site and I agree this is a credit to the individuals referenced by yourself 👍
    Does she really have a daughter named Liberty Truss, or was that made up by a satirist?
  • An oil tanker has run aground in the Suez Canal...

"Not another one!"
  • CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited August 2022

Ah shit here we go again
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,396
    Off topic, but definitely on politics:

Here’s a theory that I hadn’t heard before:

The most plausible explanation comes from former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham, who stopped apologizing for her old boss on the afternoon of Jan. 6, 2021.

Grisham noted that Trump simply has a thing for paper — heaps of it, the more jumbled, the better. He even hauled boxes of assorted materials with him when he traveled on Air Force One. “There was no rhyme or reason — it was classified documents on top of newspapers on top of papers people printed out of things they wanted him to read. The boxes were never organized,” Grisham told The Post. “He’d want to get work done on long trips so he’d just rummage through the boxes. That was our filing system.”
    source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/30/trump-documents-papers-disorganized/

David von Drehle goes on to describe his own experiences with Trump’s filing “system”, and how Trump would rummage through these piles on Air Force One, looking briefly at odds and ends that cheered him up. For Trump the piles of paper showed how important he was.

(Incidentally, von Drehle says “many in Trump’s orbit believe he is dyslexic”.)

(Cross posted at Patterico's Pontifications.)
    Chris said:

Does she really have a daughter named Liberty Truss, or was that made up by a satirist?

Both.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,396
    FPT: When I read the BBC article on the attacks in Chorley, I was struck by what wasn't in it: fathers. Of either the attackers or the vicims.

Would the absence of fathers be common in such areas?

(I have long thought that, were some enterprising reporter to investigate, they would find that few of Jeffrey Epstein's victimshad fathers in their lives.)
    Can someone please let me know when Liz has sorted out the energy crisis.

GN all 👍

Off topic, but definitely on politics:

Here’s a theory that I hadn’t heard before:

The most plausible explanation comes from former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham, who stopped apologizing for her old boss on the afternoon of Jan. 6, 2021.

Grisham noted that Trump simply has a thing for paper — heaps of it, the more jumbled, the better. He even hauled boxes of assorted materials with him when he traveled on Air Force One. “There was no rhyme or reason — it was classified documents on top of newspapers on top of papers people printed out of things they wanted him to read. The boxes were never organized,” Grisham told The Post. “He’d want to get work done on long trips so he’d just rummage through the boxes. That was our filing system.”
    source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/08/30/trump-documents-papers-disorganized/

David von Drehle goes on to describe his own experiences with Trump’s filing “system”, and how Trump would rummage through these piles on Air Force One, looking briefly at odds and ends that cheered him up. For Trump the piles of paper showed how important he was.

(Incidentally, von Drehle says “many in Trump’s orbit believe he is dyslexic”.)

(Cross posted at Patterico's Pontifications.)

That would go along with his being photographed signing blank sheets of paper (I forget exactly why) when he had COVID.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,183
    Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

That wasn't my take - there's a speed limit of 60 on a stretch I do every morning "For air quality". It's very annoying, and there's absolubtely no justification for it other than some Greta points.
    It's not Greta. Greta don't really give a shit about air quality. She's all about carbon. It's Client Earth; a group of environmental lawyers. Who are successfully taking governments to court for failing to comply with European legislation on NO2 emissions.
    Now I don't fully understand why this is still an issue despite leaving the EU, though I can see the optics of 'hooray, we've left the EU, now we can have high NO2 levels' aren't great.
    But in terms of the NO2: well,it's pretty complicated, but a lot less NO2 is emitted at 60 than at 70, and if by limiting to 60 you get a more even flow of traffic, well, in air quality terms, even better. Often this is the only way of meeting the legal limits.
    The modelling is pretty clear on this. You might quibble with the modelling, but you would be wasting your time doing so because a court of law will not. And it is the court you need to convince. (Interestingly, you have to show that what you do works in theory - does the modelling say it works? - rather than in practice - are recorded levels of NO2 sufficiently low?)

dixiedean said:

Baptism of ice.

You do have a very eclectic mix for your fan worship. First Putin, now Truss.
    I don't worship either person, but I do refuse to see people in such black and white terms as many here.
    Oh. Kids. Peter Hyman is back in the leaders office after a good many years in teaching.

This is getting serious.

Starmer is pulling a team together.

Bet accordingly.

DYOR

Chris said:

Both.
    Thankfully, the advent of 'Democracy Truss' turned out to be indigestion.

Can someone please let me know when Liz has sorted out the energy crisis.

GN all 👍

People who say there's an energy crisis and every pub in UK will close are just doomsters and gloomsters determined to do Britain down now she has left the EU.

Or something like that...
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,054

"Not another one!"
    It’s a clever plan by Cummings to game the search results for the phrase “Suez Crisis” to erase Britain’s embarrassment.

I have just realised Erling Haaland was born in Leeds - how did England let him slip away to Norway?

It is quite hard to stop all babies leaving the country until it becomes clear they won't play football for England.

I've just looked him up. Apparently he is the son of Alfie Haaland (who was apparently born Alf-Inge Haaland. Is that the Alf-Inge Haaland who was famous as such? If so why is he now not known as such? Odd.)
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited August 2022
    Andy_JS said:

That old gem. Gets recycled by every opportunistic right winger seeking election/reelection and never gets delivered.

They’ve been in office for 12 years, now.

They’ve learned how to play the membership/electorate like a violin.

FPT: When I read the BBC article on the attacks in Chorley, I was struck by what wasn't in it: fathers. Of either the attackers or the vicims.

(I have long thought that, were some enterprising reporter to investigate, they would find that few of Jeffrey Epstein's victimshad fathers in their lives.)

Chorley is not the sort of place you would expect family breakdown to be particularly high. A stolid town, away from the big city but not so remote that commuting is impossible. Working class, but not monoculturally so. Not the sort of place many move to, but if your hand in life was to end up in Chorley I don't think you'd feel too cheated.
    Bill Beaumont, England's rugby union captain in the 80s (which was amateur back then, and largely a middle class game - at least in the North) was from Chorley. Which always seemed a little incongruous. Though he was educated at boarding schools, I think.
    Speculation growing Kemi Badenoch will be Truss' new Education Secretary.

https://twitter.com/nmdacosta/status/1565068386429804547?s=20&t=4S7jQwGYbXLdO2WIO9aBsA
  • Andy_JS said:

If the London hustings is anything to go by Rishi is more popular with that particular segment of the party.

Not the first time Rishi has done better on the night. This is one reason I've not entirely liquidated my Sunak position, just in case all the polls are wrong. Of course, most members do not attend hustings and many of those who do are already committed.

Andy_JS said:

Not the first time Rishi has done better on the night. This is one reason I've not entirely liquidated my Sunak position, just in case all the polls are wrong. Of course, most members do not attend hustings and many of those who do are already committed.
    Sunak will likely still win the London membership even if Truss comfortably wins the membership overall
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    edited August 2022
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

That's valid but it's a mental thing. I'd beat myself up if 6 months later the market has turned and I've bought at the frothy top when I'd actually seen that exact risk. I don't see much risk the other way - ie of prices carrying on rising - and plus we don't really need to move urgently. It can wait a bit.
    I spoke to an estate agent today.
    The problem is banks not lending, rates rising, nerves about economic uncertainty.
    Also, there are no 'investors' buying as buy to let is hopeless for various reasons.
    My guess is that the market will just reconfigure itself to what people can afford as most buyers need to borrow money.
    If you look at the thing that is really messed up though, it is new build; outside prime London.
    new environmental regulations + massive build costs due to high material and labour costs...
    could well lead to a shutdown of the housebuilding industry.

Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

It's not Greta. Greta don't really give a shit about air quality. She's all about carbon. It's Client Earth; a group of environmental lawyers. Who are successfully taking governments to court for failing to comply with European legislation on NO2 emissions.
    Now I don't fully understand why this is still an issue despite leaving the EU, though I can see the optics of 'hooray, we've left the EU, now we can have high NO2 levels' aren't great.
    But in terms of the NO2: well,it's pretty complicated, but a lot less NO2 is emitted at 60 than at 70, and if by limiting to 60 you get a more even flow of traffic, well, in air quality terms, even better. Often this is the only way of meeting the legal limits.
    The modelling is pretty clear on this. You might quibble with the modelling, but you would be wasting your time doing so because a court of law will not. And it is the court you need to convince. (Interestingly, you have to show that what you do works in theory - does the modelling say it works? - rather than in practice - are recorded levels of NO2 sufficiently low?)
    Ffsake is there some god awful pit of lawyers at the bottom of every shitty decision ?
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    darkage said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

The problem is banks not lending, rates rising, nerves about economic uncertainty.
    Also, there are no 'investors' buying as buy to let is hopeless for various reasons.
    My guess is that the market will just reconfigure itself to what people can afford as most buyers need to borrow money.
    If you look at the thing that is really messed up though, it is new build; outside prime London.
    new environmental regulations + massive build costs due to high material and labour costs...

In a few days we enter the final year of a 5 year fix mortgage. The exit fee will then be £1000. Or £0 if we wait til September 2023. Do we take the £1k hit and remortgage now or wait? From what some are saying on here it could be £1k well "spent".
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746

darkage said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

In a few days we enter the final year of a 5 year fix mortgage. The exit fee will then be £1000. Or £0 if we wait til September 2023. Do we take the £1k hit and remortgage now or wait? From what some are saying on here it could be £1k well "spent".
    I did a similar thing 2 years ago, paid £1000 to get out of a 5 year fix in the last year. It worked out well, as I did a new 5 year fix when rates were at their lowest, I think the rate we are on is something like 2% below what the rate is now for a 5 year fix.
    It was also quite easy and quick to do, because I stayed with the same provider so there was no need to go through all the stuff associated with remortgaging.
    At the time I was worried about Brexit pushing up interest rates.

Chris said:

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Yeah.
    So I'll drive at 100.
    That or sort myself out.
    Why not?

Spot the old guy.
    I feel for you. I got done in about 1990 doing 132 in my gfs 924. Sort of shit you have to dream about.
    Cookie said:

Chorley is not the sort of place you would expect family breakdown to be particularly high. A stolid town, away from the big city but not so remote that commuting is impossible. Working class, but not monoculturally so. Not the sort of place many move to, but if your hand in life was to end up in Chorley I don't think you'd feel too cheated.
    Bill Beaumont, England's rugby union captain in the 80s (which was amateur back then, and largely a middle class game - at least in the North) was from Chorley. Which always seemed a little incongruous. Though he was educated at boarding schools, I think.
    Definitely not true about Beaumont, he is from Croston which is a village 5m from Chorley and a completely different deal
    During September we could have new prime ministers in UK, Italy and Sweden.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Psychologically, it is, tho. I spent a night in an apparently haunted Plantation mansion in semi-rural Louisiana a couple of years ago. My God that night was long. And genuinely creepy as fuck, to a psychotic degree

Just one example: when I finally fell asleep (at about 6am) I had vivid disturbing dreams of children being weirdly forced to play, on the stairs and in the garden

At 10am the staff came back to make me a delicious breakfast. I asked the cheery chef if the place was haunted. He said "Oh we often get guests saying that, they claim they see a little girl playing on the stairs"

No joke. BRRR. That was the only time I have ever had occasion to believe in ghosts. I still don't know what happened

ANYWAY the darkest moment of that long dark night of the soul was just before dawn. When it seemed that dawn would never come
    The sleep cycle in which you have most REM sleep will normally be the last one of the night, but if you fall asleep at an unusual time you can have a high proportion of REM sleep whenever, especially if you daydream yourself off or creep yourself out to sleep.

It sounds as if your astral body went out onto the staircase and into the garden and met some thought forms out there.
    Cookie said:

Haven't thought about Bill Beaumont for years. He used to be on TV all the time of course.
    Alaska at large win for the Democrats. Not a good omen for the GOP I think; Palin traded at between 74 and 79% to win.
  • DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Dynamo said:

Russian opinion poll, reported in TASS. 1600 respondents, polled by telephone, 13 Aug 2022. Which countries do people consider to be among those with which Russia is most friendly?

China 55% (up 10pp from 2019)
    Belarus 49%
    India 22%
    Turkey 17%
    Kazakhstan 13%
    Serbia 11% (+9pp)
    Iran 10% (+7pp)
    UAE 3%
    Saudi Arabia 2%
    Pakistan 2%

(No mention of Armenia in the write-up.)

Least friendly:

USA 76% (+9pp)
    Ukraine 43% (-10pp)
    Britain 39% (+14pp)
    Germany 32% (+23pp)
    Poland 28%
    France 21%
    Latvia 14%
    Lithuania 12%
    Estonia 11%
    Finland 5%
    Bulgaria 2%
    Czechia 2%
    Georgia 1% (-12pp)

So: biggest changes in pp since 2019:

China, Serbia, Iran - UP among perceived FRIENDLIES;
    Germany, Britain, USA - UP among perceived UNFRIENDLIES;
    Georgia, Ukraine - DOWN among perceived UNFRIENDLIES.

Past performance is no indication etc...., but just looking at the top scoring perceived unfriendlies you gotta wonder whether Britain and perhaps also Germany might soon overtake Ukraine.

When you are relying on China as your best friend.....

It's like relying on Boris to chaperone your attractive fiance
    It’s essentially Vladimir no mates.
    Yes. It's quite a tragic list

"Who likes me?"

*licks pencil, gets out notepaper, prepares to write*

"Errr, those Nazis in China, who want to rule us. They seem kinda friendly, even if they act..... strangely. Do I have any other friends? How about those people I bully in Belaruss? They keep saying nice things"

So sad. Russia is a great country, reduced to this
    It's not an account of Putin's mind. It's a poll of the population. Assuming the poll has reasonable validity, it's interesting that the percentage who perceive Ukraine as among the most unfriendly countries has fallen from 53% to 43% since 2019.

First principles suggest that the Chinese elite would welcome a war between Russia and NATO.

In other Russian news, TASS are going on about which countries will be represented at Gorbachev's funeral on Saturday. They say there's been no word from the White House yet on whether the US will send a delegation, but that France will send someone. How many other NATO members will? Prince Charles went to Ronald Reagan's funeral. China will surely send someone very senior, perhaps Xi Jinping himself. (Just don't mention the Tienanmen Square protest which was in full swing when Gorby was in Beijing.)
    Dynamo said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Chris said:

Psychologically, it is, tho. I spent a night in an apparently haunted Plantation mansion in semi-rural Louisiana a couple of years ago. My God that night was long. And genuinely creepy as fuck, to a psychotic degree

Just one example: when I finally fell asleep (at about 6am) I had vivid disturbing dreams of children being weirdly forced to play, on the stairs and in the garden

At 10am the staff came back to make me a delicious breakfast. I asked the cheery chef if the place was haunted. He said "Oh we often get guests saying that, they claim they see a little girl playing on the stairs"

No joke. BRRR. That was the only time I have ever had occasion to believe in ghosts. I still don't know what happened

ANYWAY the darkest moment of that long dark night of the soul was just before dawn. When it seemed that dawn would never come
    The sleep cycle in which you have most REM sleep will normally be the last one of the night, but if you fall asleep at an unusual time you can have a high proportion of REM sleep whenever, especially if you daydream yourself off or creep yourself out to sleep.

It sounds as if your astral body went out onto the staircase and into the garden and met some thought forms out there.
    Yes possibly. I am SO much less skeptical towards all this stuff that I used to be. A lot of materialism and rationalism is like Remainerism. A terrific fear of appearing “lower class”. It’s status anxiety, with no actual logic behind it

Right now the Lower Classes are associated with religious belief and “superstition” (and Leaving) so the liberal middle class is allergic
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,926
    edited September 2022
    Executives working from holiday homes fear tax crackdown
    Britons on post-pandemic ‘workcations’ face threat of tax rules shake-up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/08/31/executives-working-holiday-homes-fear-tax-crackdown/ (£££)

The commercial world is catching up with pb on the danger of creating foreign tax liabilities (including corporation tax) if people WFH from abroad. Our government is also looking at WFH tax rules.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 326
    Pulpstar said:

Alaska at large win for the Democrats. Not a good omen for the GOP I think; Palin traded at between 74 and 79% to win.

Though not many places have the ranked choice system that Alaska has so the good omens for the Dems is limited. Mary Peltola won enough 2nd preferences from Begich voters to beat Palin in the final round, my working out of the split of Begich + the small number of write-ins is 31.8% to Peltola, 53.6% to Palin and 14.6% non-transferable. In FPTP my sense is enough Democrats would have crossed to vote in the GOP primary for Begich to narrowly beat Palin and then Begich to easily beat Peltola in the general election.

The general election will have the same lineup but with the addition of a Libertarian candidate. It'll be interesting to see if there's some GOP voters who would prefer Palin to Begich switch their vote to Begich rather than see the seat go to Peltola.

• Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    18.5 Rishi Sunak 5%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    19 Rishi Sunak 5%

Small money for Rishi

Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    17 Rishi Sunak 6%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    18 Rishi Sunak 6%

• Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    18.5 Rishi Sunak 5%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    19 Rishi Sunak 5%

Small money for Rishi

Betfair next prime minister
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    17 Rishi Sunak 6%

Next Conservative leader
    1.05 Liz Truss 95%
    18 Rishi Sunak 6%

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Rishi (the Parliamentary party's clear choice) if Truss convincingly wins (as I think)... my sense is Truss will perceive him to be a threat and so whilst pressure will be there to appoint him to a big office, she may step back from that, Tory MPs should rally to Truss but the Party is badly divided and I dont think Truss can unite it
This discussion has been closed.