Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB lead in Redwall seats now up to 15% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    Foxy said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

"I'm somebody who wants to see farmers producing food." - Truss.

Give me strength. The level of the debate in these hustings is enough to drive one to absinthe.

It's when it's enough to drive you to Truss that you really need to worry
    The point is a good deal more profound than you think. Farmers are currently being encouraged to leave the industry, 'rewild', grow biomass, put solar panels up - do almost anything but provide the nourishing food that we need secure supplies of. To the extent that many believe a food crisis is being engineered deliberately.
    The same people who believe Ukraine is Russian?
    By the look of the traffic on the Kerch bridge a lot of Russians seem to think Crimea will be Ukranian again soon.

No more beach 2022 bikini pics. #Russians are hastily leaving #Crimea via the Crimean bridge. “There’s a huge traffic jam here,” says the author of the video. #UkraineRussianWar https://t.co/Xs5RpMc0g3
    Early in the war, when the advance on Kyiv failed, there was some translated stuff I saw from Russian social media from people in Crimea. They were all making plans on the basis of what happens if the Ukrainians come…. They expected no mercy for Russian incomers since 2014.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

IshmaelZ said:

Newton Dunn is a star.

Truss as bad as my worst fears. Johnsons downfall was bookended by Paterson and Pincher. Saying she would vote down the privileges committee inquiry into Johnson shows how little she understands or minds that

That, and the media stuff identified by TND.

There isn't another vote on the committee is there? its work has begun and it will complete.
    I believe their recommendations, if any, can be voted down in the Chamber.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

Paracetamol suppositories are a common method of administration in Sweden.

https://www.apohem.se/vark-feber/huvudvark/alvedon-suppositorium-250-mg-15-40kg-10-st

Yes, absorption from suppositories is very quick and complete. We used to use them for post op analgesia for surgery on kids. Brits don't seem keen though.
    I used to share a flat with a guy who would put acid tabs (as in LSD) in his eyes as he said they absorbed more quickly into the brain. I was never terribly convinced it was a wise idea.
    A Well Known Rock Star used to boast that he protected his nostrils by taking cocaine per anum (boofing in the trade). Good plan till you think about it....
    The Finland rumour keeps reading its head.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

https://www.apohem.se/vark-feber/huvudvark/alvedon-suppositorium-250-mg-15-40kg-10-st

Yes, absorption from suppositories is very quick and complete. We used to use them for post op analgesia for surgery on kids. Brits don't seem keen though.
    I used to share a flat with a guy who would put acid tabs (as in LSD) in his eyes as he said they absorbed more quickly into the brain. I was never terribly convinced it was a wise idea.
    A Well Known Rock Star used to boast that he protected his nostrils by taking cocaine per anum (boofing in the trade). Good plan till you think about it....
    For us PBers who have never partaken of cocaine, you’ll have to explain the plan’s deficiency.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

I was there awhile in July and I never heard no rumour …

• kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

For us PBers who have never partaken of cocaine, you’ll have to explain the plan’s deficiency.
    Back in the day (thankfully, many years ago), when my nostrils were over-used I'd bung it in a rizla and smoke it...
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

Your double negative says otherwise.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,039

IshmaelZ said:

Newton Dunn is a star.

Truss as bad as my worst fears. Johnsons downfall was bookended by Paterson and Pincher. Saying she would vote down the privileges committee inquiry into Johnson shows how little she understands or minds that

There isn't another vote on the committee is there? its work has begun and it will complete.
    Thx. So Truss will whip her tribe to vote it down after all this?

Or is she just saying this to curry favour with the members until she dumps on them in Sept?

geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

Your double negative says otherwise.
    ok, I ain't never heard no rumor.
    Better?

Foxy said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Give me strength. The level of the debate in these hustings is enough to drive one to absinthe.

The point is a good deal more profound than you think. Farmers are currently being encouraged to leave the industry, 'rewild', grow biomass, put solar panels up - do almost anything but provide the nourishing food that we need secure supplies of. To the extent that many believe a food crisis is being engineered deliberately.
    By the look of the traffic on the Kerch bridge a lot of Russians seem to think Crimea will be Ukranian again soon.

No more beach 2022 bikini pics. #Russians are hastily leaving #Crimea via the Crimean bridge. “There’s a huge traffic jam here,” says the author of the video. #UkraineRussianWar https://t.co/Xs5RpMc0g3
    Early in the war, when the advance on Kyiv failed, there was some translated stuff I saw from Russian social media from people in Crimea. They were all making plans on the basis of what happens if the Ukrainians come…. They expected no mercy for Russian incomers since 2014.
    I’m sure most colonial settlers have this always at the back of their minds, the fallback plan. The Anatolians in northern Cyprus, the Han in Tibet, the Brits in Ireland, etc.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

You learn something new every day.

I imagine you'd get terrible piles.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    No-one needs to have the heating on all the time in winter. At the very least have it on for an hour followed by an hour off.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,869
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Truss says she would vote to stop privileges committee inquiry into PM
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1557089689261285380?s=20&t=vKMARqJNMxKrpdY73Q9VQw

The ghost of Owen Paterson's political career say hi!
    She's going to be a disaster.

I wobbled a bit the other night thinking many of us maybe have underestimated her, but, no, she's just Johnson in a skirt.
    Except without Johnson's charisma and with more hardline rightwing economics
    Johnson’s charisma? 😲
    I can’t believe you just said that!
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059
    DavidL said:

So, anecdote time. This is someone told me, that someone told them, that someone experienced this and told them about it. So, make of it what you will, but this story is going around now.

Woman had a bicycle accident in London and had to go to A&E. They told her there that she should have a tetanus jab, but they didn't have any in the hospital, so they sent her to a pharmacy to pay for one instead. *And* they didn't have any slings, so one of the nurses improvised one out of her tights.

Not sure if I believe it. Can things really be that bad? Maybe they are. People will tend to trust stories that are told to them by people they trust though, and I trust the person who told me, and she trusts the person who told her, so...

The one and only time I sought assistance from the NHS in London I was horrified. Honestly one of the most traumatic incidents in my life. Much worse than improvised sling or lack of tetanus jag.
    More than 10 years ago now my daughter was studying in London and ended up in casualty. We went down as concerned parents do. It was honestly like something out of the third world. I have never seen any hospital like it before or since. It struck me as a positively dangerous place to be when you were well. To be there when you were ill bordered on reckless.
    Given I owe my life to the NHS in London (I was born there and have had subsequent need for its services) you’ll forgive me if I take all this with a massive pinch of salt. Funny how it’s always the people who are not in London, or indeed England (in the case of @StuartDickson never even visited) are the biggest experts on the state of the place. It’s a trait that’s reciprocated by we ourselves but, Lord, the hypocritical sanctimony.
    Sean_F said:

IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

You learn something new every day.

I imagine you'd get terrible piles.
    isn't it lines?

Sobering short speech on channel-crossers:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1556616655287058434
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,059

DavidL said:

So, anecdote time. This is someone told me, that someone told them, that someone experienced this and told them about it. So, make of it what you will, but this story is going around now.

Woman had a bicycle accident in London and had to go to A&E. They told her there that she should have a tetanus jab, but they didn't have any in the hospital, so they sent her to a pharmacy to pay for one instead. *And* they didn't have any slings, so one of the nurses improvised one out of her tights.

Not sure if I believe it. Can things really be that bad? Maybe they are. People will tend to trust stories that are told to them by people they trust though, and I trust the person who told me, and she trusts the person who told her, so...

The one and only time I sought assistance from the NHS in London I was horrified. Honestly one of the most traumatic incidents in my life. Much worse than improvised sling or lack of tetanus jag.
    More than 10 years ago now my daughter was studying in London and ended up in casualty. We went down as concerned parents do. It was honestly like something out of the third world. I have never seen any hospital like it before or since. It struck me as a positively dangerous place to be when you were well. To be there when you were ill bordered on reckless.
    Yes. “Third world” would be an apt description for my experience too. I feel quite ill even thinking about it.
    You’ve never even visited London, if you had you would know some basic facts about the place and wouldn’t constantly describe its inhabitants as being essentially vermin.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046
    IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sunak verging on Sheffield in that intro and his jokes are getting even lamer

At least he has written some new material over the weekend. The parmo schtick will go down well in the North-East but will mystify the rest of the country.
    Do we think he would recognise a parmo in an identity parade?

That "our women" grated like fuck last time. Really poor.
    They are in Darlington. Do they eat parmo in Darlo?
    Haggis I think..

Not to mention clootie dumpling.
    As a Scot of working class roots I prefer my clootie dumpling fried. But since I have grown into an effete middle class intellectual (pseudo) I fry it in olive oil, not lard.
    Lard is a better frying medium than olive oil imo. As a saturated fat it is more heat stable.
    It's about flashpoints and smokepoints, chart to knock yourself out with

https://www.centrafoods.com/blog/edible-oil-smoke-flash-points-temperature-chart

Sunflower oil for instance is polyunsaturated but high smoke point
    That's interesting, but not the main issue imo. The less saturated a fat is (the oxygen atoms not saturated by hydrogen atoms - I think they're atoms), the more unstable it is, and the more bits are going to break away when heated, becoming free radicals in the body. So sunflower oil is a far more dangerous oil to cook with at high temps than lard. Olive oil is a bit better; it's mono-unsaturated, it is more saturated than sunflower oil, and goes solid if refrigerated for that reason. But still not advisable to fry with it, which is why there is no tradition of frying using olive oil.
    Andy_JS said:

No-one needs to have the heating on all the time in winter. At the very least have it on for an hour followed by an hour off.

Are you giving the same advice to the chief executives of the privatised utility companies?

https://www.share-talk.com/thames-water-boss-sarah-bentley-on-2m-a-year-gets-727000-windfall/#gs.8qn1ib
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

Me, about 4 times? Nasally always. The point being the stuff eats through the membrane in your nose. What other membrane can you think of that would even less rather have eaten away? If you think it would make blowing your nose painful...

IshmaelZ said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

No one important sitting on anyone else's Lap?

IshmaelZ said:

Newton Dunn is a star.

Thx. So Truss will whip her tribe to vote it down after all this?

Or is she just saying this to curry favour with the members until she dumps on them in Sept?
    Who knows?

I doubt if anyone does, except (perhaps) her. The Tories seem poised to spin the wheel and hope for the best.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

At least he has written some new material over the weekend. The parmo schtick will go down well in the North-East but will mystify the rest of the country.

Haggis I think..

As a Scot of working class roots I prefer my clootie dumpling fried. But since I have grown into an effete middle class intellectual (pseudo) I fry it in olive oil, not lard.
    Lard is a better frying medium than olive oil imo. As a saturated fat it is more heat stable.
    I think that the last thing fried dumpling requires is more saturated fat.
    There's no such thing as too much saturated fat.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Has @Leon already shared this?
    https://teronlyfans.com/english/
  • Foxy said:

@Foxy

If anal administration is superior to oral then perhaps some effort might be put into health education?
    Swallowing them is pretty effective, and easier for most.
    "THOSE AREN'T PILLOWS!!"
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,781
    DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

Given I owe my life to the NHS in London (I was born there and have had subsequent need for its services) you’ll forgive me if I take all this with a massive pinch of salt. Funny how it’s always the people who are not in London, or indeed England (in the case of @StuartDickson never even visited) are the biggest experts on the state of the place. It’s a trait that’s reciprocated by we ourselves but, Lord, the hypocritical sanctimony.
    My girlfriend has worked in hospitals in London and Lothian. From her experience, it's hospital by hospital.

I've personally had a great experience on the NHS everywhere I've been, from shoulder surgery to snow blindness.

Even the GP has finally got their act together - did an econsultation a couple of days ago, phone call an hour later, in the next day for a quick check. And they just want me to email them with a symptom update next week. Brilliant!
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited August 2022
    DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

I've used the NHS in London a couple of times and it was fine.

Mind you I used a third world medical system last year following a scary insect bite and that was pretty OK as well.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

Can anyone tell me of a decent chippie still using beef dripping?
    "Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith

NEW: Chris Skidmore has become the first Tory MP to switch sides from Rishi Sunak to Liz Truss.

He writes for
    @Telegraph
    he grew “increasingly concerned” by Sunak campaign’s “consistently changing position”.

More defections could come later this month."

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1557109835530895360
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Majority believe boycott of energy bills ‘justified’ #TomorrowsPapersToday

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

When I used to live in South Queensferry I saw beef tallow being delivered to the chippy.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,771
    edited August 2022
    kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

I follow a few very patriotic americans on the twitters who think the above is madness, food and fuel security should come above ESG. It's hardly partisan or pro russian to say so.
    The problem is that food and fuel security is very expensive.

We could - undoubtedly - be fuel sufficient in the UK. We could build a bunch of new nuclear* (cost per MWh c. £100), aggressively exploit shale gas via guaranteed purchase contracts (probably around £150 to 200), and keep adding on-shore and off-shore wind (a much more reasonable £30-50/MWh).

But the cost would need to be picked up by someone. Either we would have much higher electricity and gas prices than our peers when supply normalized, or we would have the government writing very large checks to suppliers every year to keep our prices in line.

The right answer - which probably keeps costs at that £30 level in the medium term - is to

(a) be willing to enter into long-term supply contracts with low cost LNG providers (Mozambique or Israel will sell you twenty years of LNG at pretty good prices),
    (b) have substantial gas storage facilities (say three to six months of usage), and
    (c) to invest in building out tidal, wind, solar and lower cost nuclear options.

Natural gas, in this world, is your battery back up.

* It is of course worth noting that the UK needs to import uranium - which is currently does from, ahem, Russia. So it's not an entirely secure source of energy.
  • Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Majority believe boycott of energy bills ‘justified’ #TomorrowsPapersToday

Liz Truss's Poll Tax riot?
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    Andy_JS said:

"Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith

NEW: Chris Skidmore has become the first Tory MP to switch sides from Rishi Sunak to Liz Truss.

He writes for
    @Telegraph
    he grew “increasingly concerned” by Sunak campaign’s “consistently changing position”.

Is constantly changing positions not simply good practice for running a populist Bluekip cabinet?
    geoffw said:

Thought I heard Blair speaking on the radio just now. Turns out it was Sunak with a touch of estuary. After coaching I assume.

He has similar mannerisms and gestures as well.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

When I used to live in South Queensferry I saw beef tallow being delivered to the chippy.
    Excellent. Thank you.
    ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

That will be because it is not, in fact, a wise idea.

The only thing you should absorb through your eyeballs is vodka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxYZmu3kvdo&ab_channel=RhysIfans

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m

Whatever happened to the "Keep Calm and Carry On" spirit of this country?
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

I follow a few very patriotic americans on the twitters who think the above is madness, food and fuel security should come above ESG. It's hardly partisan or pro russian to say so.

We could - undoubtedly - be fuel sufficient in the UK. We could build a bunch of new nuclear* (cost per MWh c. £100), aggressively exploit shale gas via guaranteed purchase contracts (probably around £150 to 200), and keep adding on-shore and off-shore wind (a much more reasonable £30-50/MWh).

But the cost would need to be picked up by someone. Either we would have much higher electricity and gas prices than our peers when supply normalized, or we would have the government writing very large checks to suppliers every year to keep our prices in line.

The right answer - which probably keeps costs at that £30 level in the medium term - is to

(a) be willing to enter into long-term supply contracts with low cost LNG providers (Mozambique or Israel will sell you twenty years of LNG at pretty good prices),
    (b) have substantial gas storage facilities (say three to six months of usage), and
    (c) to invest in building out tidal, wind, solar and lower cost nuclear options.

* It is of course worth noting that the UK needs to import uranium - which is currently does from, ahem, Russia. So it's not an entirely secure source of energy.
    Your last point is a massive and not widely known worry.

ping said:

SNAP POLL: 45% of Americans say it is a very big problem if Donald Trump took classified material with him to his private residence after leaving office.

By party:

Democrats: 76%
    Independents: 44%
    Republicans: 12%

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1557092713631137792

12% republican?!

Jeez. America, its norms, institutions and democracy is in a very bad place.
    Although the encouraging thing there is that barely a quarter of Republicans say it's not a problem at all, so a clear majority concede it is a problem to some degree.
    I agree.

Indeed, the polling is really moving against Trump as Republican nominee.
  • Andy_JS said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m

:innocent:image
    Andy_JS said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m

Obeying the Establishment never gets ordinary people anywhere. They need to be more proactive.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Andy_JS said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m

We're rediscovering the spirit of Wat Tyler.

Andy_JS said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m

:innocent:image
    Starmer is a dud.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836
    To summarise.
    Taking Tory government up the arse is beneficial.
    We haven't just appreciated it yet
    Paging god knows how many PBers...

Adam Bienkov @AdamBienkov

“Drugs are horrific,” says Rishi Sunak.

“There is nothing recreational about them. I have never taken them and I will be incredibly tough on anyone who does.”
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The Tory party is in an awful mess potentially. Judging by the cheers and shouting the membership worship Johnson and can't understand why he has gone and yet the majority of his cabinet and lower ministers resigned en masse because he was unfit for office.

The stab in the back myth aligned with the king 'o the water is going to poison things for years and Johnson will love stirring the cauldron.

Talking of which:

Liz Truss says she would vote to end the privileges committee investigation into whether the PM misled parliament (if such a vote existed)

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1557089965741412352

Kill him why you can Liz. Or he will destroy you.
    Jeez she really is clueless . Even if she could do this it would look shocking to the public that she’s trying to get Johnson off. The more I see of her the more I loathe her .
    At least she will purge Woke Lefty language from our primary schools mathematics:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/148813032645083136?t=-hz6iHTle5tqKhQMeLSLdA&s=19
    How absolutely extraordinary. She obviously doesn't know the meaning of those words. Or is pretending not to. I don't know which is worse.

Edit: I had to go back and look again. But it does seem to be her account, not a parody one.
    Some twenty odd years ago I thought a tutorial student was taking the piss when using 'times' as a verb instead of 'multiply'. As in "you times a with b to get c". Regrettably, that seems to be the language used in schools nowadays.

In their defence, they do get taught ‘times’ tables.
    So was I in the 1940s. And they went up to 12!

Nevertheless, the act of multiplication was described as "times". You said "six times seven is forty two".
    But not "timesed by", which is what I've heard kids say. It's the ugly verbing of "times" that is the issue
    What's wrong with using times as a verb? It's not just the kids, I've always said it and I am in my forties, but perhaps I'm a bit common.
    Well the dictionary lists it primarily as a preposition, and only as an informal verb

I don't think I've ever heard a mathematician say "timesed by"
    When teaching maths and physics I would use the term "times" for younger students and weaker students who were working towards grade 4 or C. Any older students with some ability in the subject, I would use multiply, or even product of.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

The question, though, is why are we encouraging (the very inflationary process of) turning cooking oil into renewable diesel, when parts of the world are close to starving?

https://doomberg.substack.com/p/diesel-for-dinner

To return to Luckyguy's point, it seems perverse that we are incentivising farmers to grow crops to burn, rather than to feed, when there might not be enough food to go around.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,068
    Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

I've used the NHS in London a couple of times and it was fine.

Mind you I used a third world medical system last year following a scary insect bite and that was pretty OK as well.
    Third world Casualty can be very good at third world problems, so Foxjr found out in the Amazon jungle having chopped his shin with a machete*. The staff saw this all the time and stitched him up neatly and sent him off with appropriate pills. It isn't the place to turn up with a condition needing high tech, such as unstable angina or an evolving stroke.

Remote places can be worse. A second cousin of mine died of appendicitis in a mining camp in PNG.

Casualty is the path of least resistance, where anyone can and will be seen, at no cost other than waiting, and without a gatekeeper like a GP. As such it will always attract a less salubrious crowd, particularly after dark. Ultimately all systems have good and bad staff.

* any young man should accumulate a few scars to dine out on later in life.

Andy_JS said:

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m

We're rediscovering the spirit of Wat Tyler.
    Now there was a proper Englishman.

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The Tory party is in an awful mess potentially. Judging by the cheers and shouting the membership worship Johnson and can't understand why he has gone and yet the majority of his cabinet and lower ministers resigned en masse because he was unfit for office.

The stab in the back myth aligned with the king 'o the water is going to poison things for years and Johnson will love stirring the cauldron.

Talking of which:

Liz Truss says she would vote to end the privileges committee investigation into whether the PM misled parliament (if such a vote existed)

Jeez she really is clueless . Even if she could do this it would look shocking to the public that she’s trying to get Johnson off. The more I see of her the more I loathe her .
    At least she will purge Woke Lefty language from our primary schools mathematics:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/148813032645083136?t=-hz6iHTle5tqKhQMeLSLdA&s=19
    How absolutely extraordinary. She obviously doesn't know the meaning of those words. Or is pretending not to. I don't know which is worse.

Edit: I had to go back and look again. But it does seem to be her account, not a parody one.
    Some twenty odd years ago I thought a tutorial student was taking the piss when using 'times' as a verb instead of 'multiply'. As in "you times a with b to get c". Regrettably, that seems to be the language used in schools nowadays.

Nevertheless, the act of multiplication was described as "times". You said "six times seven is forty two".
    But not "timesed by", which is what I've heard kids say. It's the ugly verbing of "times" that is the issue
    What's wrong with using times as a verb? It's not just the kids, I've always said it and I am in my forties, but perhaps I'm a bit common.
    Well the dictionary lists it primarily as a preposition, and only as an informal verb

I'm not sure I've heard one say "multiplied by" either. The reality is that once they've become a professional mathematician, all that multiplication and addition and actual numbers is rather beneath them.
    rcs1000 said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

@Foxy

That will be because it is not, in fact, a wise idea.

The only thing you should absorb through your eyeballs is vodka:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxYZmu3kvdo&ab_channel=RhysIfans
    Reminds me of Supermal featuring Luciana 'Bigger than Big'. Sings about vodka eye.
    dixiedean said:

To summarise.
    Taking Tory government up the arse is beneficial.
    We haven't just appreciated it yet

Scots have noticed that being repeatedly royally shafted by the Tories is an overrated experience.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

Excellent. Thank you.
    Olive Oil heated to a high temperature loses much of its health advantage, and the smoke (low smoke point temperarure) is rather toxic.

Something like rapeseed oil is a better option for frying.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,396
    rcs1000 - Try this search: "uranium mines + Australia".
    Or this one: "uranium mines + Canada"
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

Have I read those numbers right (or has my maths gone down the pan)? £30 per MWh = 3p per kWh.

I would have thought 10p per kWh wholesale would be pretty acceptable right now.
  • rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

When teaching maths and physics I would use the term "times" for younger students and weaker students who were working towards grade 4 or C. Any older students with some ability in the subject, I would use multiply, or even product of.
    Nothing wrong with "number times number"

I don't like "number timesed by number"

I think it sounds stupid
    Continuity Johnson...

Keep Brexit safe, cut taxes by printing money, talk culture war bollx, send anyone in a small boat back to africa, let Johnson off the hook for lying to parliament, bring back grammars, cut non-existent red tape and so on and on.

Put above all else: keep the triple lock.

Right up the Express street.

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    7m

Liz Truss's Poll Tax riot?
    The same people, just 32 years older.

Surely the utility companies have a plan for a load of non-payment, beyond disconnecting and wrecking credit scores.

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

I would use multiply for everyone because everyone is capable of understanding the word and what it means.
    MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

Excellent. Thank you.
    Olive Oil heated to a high temperature loses much of its health advantage, and the smoke (low smoke point temperarure) is rather toxic.

No it isn't. Ghee, coconut oil, palm oil, are better options for frying. Rapeseed oil is best kept for making dressings.
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

The question, though, is why are we encouraging (the very inflationary process of) turning cooking oil into renewable diesel, when parts of the world are close to starving?

To return to Luckyguy's point, it seems perverse that we are incentivising farmers to grow crops to burn, rather than to feed, when there might not be enough food to go around.
    Biomass needs a whole category of awful just for itself really. Thankfully I think people are realising it is the dirty, shit, cuckoo renewable in the nest.
    She talks utter bollx, but I have to admit it she has an uncanny ability to tap into the stream of utter bollx that the saloon bar bores at the local Con club are saying right now.

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

Liz Truss says she will stop people from “filling fields with paraphernalia like solar farms.”

“What we want is crops, and we want livestock.”

Sure, but the UK buys its Uranium from Russia right now.

It's a similar situation to natural gas. If Russia stops exporting, we (and other people who import from Russia) will need to buy from someone else. We'll all be competing over a smaller amount of exported uranium, and the price will go through the roof.

She talks utter bollx, but I have to admit it she has an uncanny ability to tap into the stream of utter bollx that the saloon bar bores at the local Con club are saying right now.

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

Liz Truss says she will stop people from “filling fields with paraphernalia like solar farms.”

This saloon bar bore is saying it on PB right now, because it happens to be true.
    edited August 2022

MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

Excellent. Thank you.

No it isn't. Ghee, coconut oil, palm oil, are better options for frying. Rapeseed oil is best kept for making dressings.
    My mum used to put olive oil* on herself as a 'sun tan lotion' when sunbathing. She did also smoke a lot at the same time.

I'm not sure whether that adds much to the debate though.

(*Purchased from the chemist, which was the only place to buy olive oil back in the 60s).

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

Well, she shouldn't have signed off that deal with Australia then...
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

We could concentrate on food security and on paying people to produce.

And then - in a couple of years time - we can start worrying about butter mountains again.
    Foxy said:

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

Well, she shouldn't have signed off that deal with Australia then...
    I doubt she is one to let the facts get in the way of anything.

Just like Johnson.

We have to change in order that everything remains exactly the same.
    rcs1000 said:

It's a similar situation to natural gas. If Russia stops exporting, we (and other people who import from Russia) will need to buy from someone else. We'll all be competing over a smaller amount of exported uranium, and the price will go through the roof.
    I always assumed the cost of uranium is only a very small fraction of the total cost of nuclear energy.

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

This saloon bar bore is saying it on PB right now, because it happens to be true.
    She's lost me - one minute she is the champion of free markets and liberty and the next minute she's telling farmers they have to put sheep in a field rather than make more money by building a solar farm.

So which is it?

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

Have I read those numbers right (or has my maths gone down the pan)? £30 per MWh = 3p per kWh.

I would have thought 10p per kWh wholesale would be pretty acceptable right now.
    It would be... But if you commit to nuclear you commit to paying £100 (index linked) for two decades. And when the gas starts flowing, you're suddenly paying 3 or 4x the market price of electricity for your nuclear power.

MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

Excellent. Thank you.

My mum used to put olive oil* on herself as a 'sun tan lotion' when sunbathing. She did also smoke a lot at the same time.

I'm not sure whether that adds much to the debate though.

(*Purchased from the chemist, which was the only place to buy olive oil back in the 60s).
    Doubt the oil was harmful (think Sophia Loren attributes her long lasting good looks to olive oil). Not sure about the tanning and smoking.
    edited August 2022

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

She's lost me - one minute she is the champion of free markets and liberty and the next minute she's telling farmers they have to put sheep in a field rather than make more money by building a solar farm.

So which is it?

Markets are free to do what Truss wants.
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

We could concentrate on food security and on paying people to produce.

And then - in a couple of years time - we can start worrying about butter mountains again.
    Ban margerine, that will sort the butter mountain.

rcs1000 said:

I always assumed the cost of uranium is only a very small fraction of the total cost of nuclear energy.
    Right now that is correct. But if you took a large exporter out the market, then prices would spike.
    Jane Merrick
    @janemerrick23
    Caught on mic at the end of the hustings, Liz Truss apologised to Tom Newton Dunn for "being mean about the media" (by blaming us for PM's downfall) and Tom replied "it's cheap and you know it". Fair play to him for coming back on that.
  • She talks utter bollx, but I have to admit it she has an uncanny ability to tap into the stream of utter bollx that the saloon bar bores at the local Con club are saying right now.

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

So which is it?

Which do you want it to be?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,168

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

https://www.centrafoods.com/blog/edible-oil-smoke-flash-points-temperature-chart

That's interesting, but not the main issue imo. The less saturated a fat is (the oxygen atoms not saturated by hydrogen atoms - I think they're atoms), the more unstable it is, and the more bits are going to break away when heated, becoming free radicals in the body. So sunflower oil is a far more dangerous oil to cook with at high temps than lard. Olive oil is a bit better; it's mono-unsaturated, it is more saturated than sunflower oil, and goes solid if refrigerated for that reason. But still not advisable to fry with it, which is why there is no tradition of frying using olive oil.
    I happened to watch this very informative video on this matter recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_aFHrzSBrM
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

ping said:

SNAP POLL: 45% of Americans say it is a very big problem if Donald Trump took classified material with him to his private residence after leaving office.

By party:

Democrats: 76%
    Independents: 44%
    Republicans: 12%

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1557092713631137792

12% republican?!

Jeez. America, its norms, institutions and democracy is in a very bad place.
    Although the encouraging thing there is that barely a quarter of Republicans say it's not a problem at all, so a clear majority concede it is a problem to some degree.
    I agree.

Indeed, the polling is really moving against Trump as Republican nominee.
    Its amazing how little that fact is noticed. Large sections of the party are moving to stop him running, despite the public statements. They are letting him be chipped away at in the hope he's much reduced over the next 12 months.

The search wont become clear in its impact until we know just what the FBI took away. I assume they had the wit to at least look at contents before removing them. There is still the chance nothing of absolute significance will be found or indeed that something will be worked with the lawyers that Trump wont undergo a formal prosecution.

More dangerous though, Trump has people still on the inside chirping like canaries against him. The bar to take him down is high because no one wants to screw it up, but there is no shortage of attempts because that guy has a lot of skeletons.

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

So which is it?

Which ever adds value to the view from a nimby window
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited August 2022
    Andy_JS said:

"Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith

He writes for
    @Telegraph

Chris Skidmore is the guy who co-wrote Brittania Unchained, with Truss, Kwarteng, Patel and Raab.

Only Raab left, of the Britannia unchained nutters.

Regardless of your ideology, it’s a terribly badly written book, btw. I read the first 18 pages via Google (for free - I’m not paying for that shite) and I was struck by how many sentences were like “there is a feeling that” with nothing approaching any evidence for the assertions. It would get torn apart in a first year Oxford seminar.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

It would be... But if you commit to nuclear you commit to paying £100 (index linked) for two decades. And when the gas starts flowing, you're suddenly paying 3 or 4x the market price of electricity for your nuclear power.
    How confident are you that the gas will start flowing again in the next 5 years?

We had a village talk last night from a supplier of PV/battery solutions. Batteries look an attractive add-on to PV panels with electricity at >30p per kWh but not so much if the retail price drops back to 15p per kWh.

IshmaelZ said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I happened to watch this very informative video on this matter recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_aFHrzSBrM
    They have the right idea.

MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

Excellent. Thank you.

My dietician does not agree with you !

Coconut oil has a smoke point at roughly normal frying temperature. All three of those are cholesterol boosters.

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

So which is it?

The incentives that have lead landowners to build solar farms are anything but an example of free market liberalism. They were built because of subsidy.

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

How confident are you that the gas will start flowing again in the next 5 years?

We had a village talk last night from a supplier of PV/battery solutions. Batteries look an attractive add-on to PV panels with electricity at >30p per kWh but not so much if the retail price drops back to 15p per kWh.
    Incredibly confident.

The world is full of LNG projects that couldn't get funded because of low gas prices, and the unwillingness of developed world buyers to commit to long term contracts.

Weirdly, in the last few months that has really changed.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    That Crimean airbase probably had about a billion dollars worth of planes parked up on it.
    One of the downsides of this “long” campaign is that by the time Liz Truss is crowned she’ll feel like old hat already.
    Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    Yeah I'm still not seeing why people think she's good at this.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1557077025210667008

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

EPG said:

Selebian said:

Not really.

Yes - that's a close call. If we get more tariffs that pay a wholesale electricity rate for exports, that could change for the long term. But we aren't there yet.

There is also quite a wide range of prices in batteries. Tesla is one of the more expensive, and denies the owner control - which is not attractive.
    edited August 2022
    MattW said:

MattW said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

I love proper fats.

Excellent. Thank you.

My dietician does not agree with you !

Coconut oil has a smoke point at roughly normal frying temperature. All three of those are cholesterol boosters.

Well they're wrong.

As the video posted above rightly states, the smoke point has nothing to do with the temperature at which the oil becomes unstable and starts breaking down into toxic free radicals. The more saturated the fat, the more stable its molecular structure.

Furthermore, the idea of cholesterol being the enemy is antideluvian. But that's probably for another night in the PB saloon bar.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr

She sounds a bit half-cut to be honest. It's in the bag so why not?

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

So which is it?

The incentives that have lead landowners to build solar farms are anything but an example of free market liberalism. They were built because of subsidy.
    Technically they - like our new nuclear plants - were built because of the willingness of the government to enter into long-term electricity purchase contracts at above market rates.

It is worth noting that, given current electricity prices, this is probably the cheapest electricity the grid is using today.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

I would use multiply for everyone because everyone is capable of understanding the word and what it means.
    I tend to use multiply, but if I had been aware that referring to multiplication as "times" was "woke", I'd have used "times".

One of the downsides of this “long” campaign is that by the time Liz Truss is crowned she’ll feel like old hat already.

It is going to be fascinating i think because she is awful at set piece presentation. God knows what will happen at PMQs.

My hunch is the public will find her manner a total turn off and she will appeal only to exactly the kind of voter who is, erm, actually already a member of the con party.

Combine that with the apparently refusal to see that day one of her administration is not about cutting some mythical brexit red tape and then relabelling all the toilets but dealing with a MASSIVE ENERGY AND COST OF LIVING CRISIS that will bring people out on the streets by year's end.

• sarissasarissa Posts: 1,749
    OT- probably going to Zurich and then St Gallen for a football match next week, weather looks terrible. Anyone have some recommendations for indoors attractions and reasonably inexpensive dining and drinking?

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr

She sounds a bit half-cut to be honest. It's in the bag so why not?
    The gurning, unexpected tonal changes, and split-second misalignments between voice and facial expression are strangely mesmerising.

• YokesYokes Posts: 1,178
    Alistair said:

That Crimean airbase probably had about a billion dollars worth of planes parked up on it.

We dont know how many were hit. Its reported there were 30+ aircraft of various types, mainly fast jets, there today. If they did wipe it, Russia simply cant replace that kind of loss in the short term.
    rcs1000 said:

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov

So which is it?

Technically they - like our new nuclear plants - were built because of the willingness of the government to enter into long-term electricity purchase contracts at above market rates.

It is worth noting that, given current electricity prices, this is probably the cheapest electricity the grid is using today.
    The one scheme I'm aware of irl was build by the landowner concerned using weak solar panels because the scheme paid out better the less you fed in. The whole thing was utterly bonkers.
This discussion has been closed.