Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

LAB lead in Redwall seats now up to 15% – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    Rish! going the way of Jeb!?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,772
    edited August 2022

Interesting analysis of the Labour candidates selected in the first 34 marginals - essentially dominated by centrists with a local base:

https://labourlist.org/2022/08/six-key-takeaways-from-the-first-stage-of-labour-parliamentary-selections/

Lloyd Russell-Moyle has sailed through re-selection down in Brighton Kemptown. He's not to everyone's taste (including mine), but there's no doubt that he's benefitted from being very assiduous and highly visible in the constituency. Labour has also gained some surprising coastal council seats in his patch.
    I always read that as Bob Russell
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

Taz said:

I wonder how labour will regards this. As sinners who are repenting or will they realise they need to make a worthwhile offer to the red wall to keep this advantage. For many years these areas have just regularly voted labour and labour took them for granted.

Labour detest white van, Flag of St George bigots. I suspect Rishi Rich isn't keen either. Only Liz is the working class bigot's friend.
    Having just watched the commonwealth games with England competing under same Flag of St George, I think calling them bigots is a stretch.
    No, no, no. Waving a Flag of St George at the Alexandra Stadium, Wembley or Twickenham really is fine. Sticking one on your house in Bromsgrove, Bromley, or Bromley Cross for the most part is telling a different story. And you knew that is where I was coming from.
    Do you object to Scots flying their flag at home? Or the Welsh? I despair at the lefts hatred of English identity.
    Chill out. You can have a strong English identity without waving a flag around or enjoying seeing others do so, if that's okay with you.
    Not according to the left.
    I'm on the left. You're talking nonsense.
    I’m not though. @Mexicanpete echoing Lady Nugee about how ghastly white van men and their England flags are. It’s definitely a thing for a lot on the left.
    It's one of those asymmetical observations. Most racist bigots like having big national flags (in any country). But that doesn't mean that most people who like having big national flags are racist bigots.

In the same way, the that some on the left are allergic to big national flags doesn't mean that most are. Personally when canvassing I just ring the doorbell and find out what they're really like. I agree that Emily's tweet implied aversion, but I'm not sure anyone deserves permanent condemnation for a single tweet.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841

Interesting analysis of the Labour candidates selected in the first 34 marginals - essentially dominated by centrists with a local base:

https://labourlist.org/2022/08/six-key-takeaways-from-the-first-stage-of-labour-parliamentary-selections/

Being serious what exactly is a centrist in the Labour context? Is it a non-Corbynite? A Blairite? A social democrat? Is Starmer a 'centrist'?

Labour is a bit of a mystery to me nowadays.
    Its those that attend pickets but dont enjoy themselves
    Alternatively they have a copy of John McDonnells Economics For The Many but its in the downstairs loo
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Taz said:

I wonder how labour will regards this. As sinners who are repenting or will they realise they need to make a worthwhile offer to the red wall to keep this advantage. For many years these areas have just regularly voted labour and labour took them for granted.

Labour detest white van, Flag of St George bigots. I suspect Rishi Rich isn't keen either. Only Liz is the working class bigot's friend.
    Having just watched the commonwealth games with England competing under same Flag of St George, I think calling them bigots is a stretch.
    No, no, no. Waving a Flag of St George at the Alexandra Stadium, Wembley or Twickenham really is fine. Sticking one on your house in Bromsgrove, Bromley, or Bromley Cross for the most part is telling a different story. And you knew that is where I was coming from.
    Do you object to Scots flying their flag at home? Or the Welsh? I despair at the lefts hatred of English identity.
    Chill out. You can have a strong English identity without waving a flag around or enjoying seeing others do so, if that's okay with you.
    I’m not though. @Mexicanpete echoing Lady Nugee about how ghastly white van men and their England flags are. It’s definitely a thing for a lot on the left.
    It's one of those asymmetical observations. Most racist bigots like having big national flags (in any country). But that doesn't mean that most people who like having big national flags are racist bigots.

In the same way, the that some on the left are allergic to big national flags doesn't mean that most are. Personally when canvassing I just ring the doorbell and find out what they're really like. I agree that Emily's tweet implied aversion, but I'm not sure anyone deserves permanent condemnation for a single tweet.
    Yay, data! Do you find Flag flying correlates with anything?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884

Taz said:

That’s fair (the single tweet part), but I tend to believe it exposed what she really thinks. Maybe I am being unfair? I find it baffling that Englishness is seen by some as a different category to pride in any other nation.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    Foxy said:

Nice to see a ministry of Defence with a sense of humour:

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1557061408340287490?t=4G11wex-BwyCtvWYpT1UeA&s=19

Zelensky appears to be building a country in his own image.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    So the russians lost at least one SU-24 at the airbase:
    https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1557077182110998528

Allegedly it was pretty packed 4 hours before the attack:
    https://twitter.com/bogdanb02/status/1557079884111171584/photo/1
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Yay, data! Do you find Flag flying correlates with anything?
    Ownership of a flagpole?

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sunak verging on Sheffield in that intro and his jokes are getting even lamer

At least he has written some new material over the weekend. The parmo schtick will go down well in the North-East but will mystify the rest of the country.
    Do we think he would recognise a parmo in an identity parade?

That "our women" grated like fuck last time. Really poor.
    They are in Darlington. Do they eat parmo in Darlo?
    Dunno. But I bet the family Sunak don't.
    Wiki:

"In 2007, North Yorkshire Trading Standards conducted a survey of 25 fast food dishes. A large parmo with chips and salad they tested contained about 2,600 calories"

I would never eat that shit, what's fookin "salad'?
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

At least he has written some new material over the weekend. The parmo schtick will go down well in the North-East but will mystify the rest of the country.

Wiki:

"In 2007, North Yorkshire Trading Standards conducted a survey of 25 fast food dishes. A large parmo with chips and salad they tested contained about 2,600 calories"

In Ireland, allegedly, chips. (As related by a colleague with many Irish relatives).
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Sorry but purely classist point. I am genuinely confident that a majority of flag displayers in all those Br places are innocent football fans, why aren't you?

Chaps sometimes need vans, while i am at it, and for reasons unknown 95% of vans are white. I used to own one myself, an LDV since you ask. And not as part of a sinister anti immigrant agenda.
    I love the sarcasm.

Also Vans are white because they are cheaper.
    Sarcasm?

Cheaper because there's more of them or because it's cheaper to paint them that colour?

And anyway not the point, really. If you argue from van colour as proxy for poverty to moral character, what analogous arguments are you happy with?
    The white van as far as I am aware has never been a proxy for poverty. You are right it is nonetheless used as a slander alluding to a stereotypical moral character. It is a lazy stereotype, but I can work with that.

Sunak was absolutely awful. It was like he was a kids party entertainer speaking to an audience of five year olds. I'd have felt patronised in that audience. The false mateyness, the 'our women'!

Once he stopped hosing money at the plague fearful he became nothing. He is David Miliband waving a banana but moreso
    His answers in the interview are excruciating. He sounds like he's on something. I feel like the audience are clapping in his 'climax' bits because they are so thuddingly obvious that it would be awkward socially not to clap.
    Every clap now is a pity fuck.
    He can't change his tone, it's really bizarre. He's now answering a question about why he knifed Bojo, and he's meant to sound full of dignity and sincere regret, but he's still doing it in his patronising shouty 'applause now' voice.
    I turned him down on my phone because it became unbearable. Just turned him up again and he's still at it. Tom Newton Dunn seems exhausted with him.
    Newton Dunn is impressive. Adult in the room.
  • Finland and Boris Johnson you say.

Finland to send military personnel to UK to train Ukrainian soldiers.

About 20 Finnish service personnel will participate in the British training program for the Ukrainian Armed Forces. The trainers will join up to 120 Swedish and 225 Canadian instructors.

The goal of the program, created in June by outgoing British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, is to provide basic soldier training to approximately 10,000 Ukrainian soldiers every 120 days. In July, at least 1,500 Ukrainian soldiers were already training in the U.K.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1556834661292179456

Great to see Sweden helping and coming under the protection of the Butcher's Apron.
    edited August 2022

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

Sorry but purely classist point. I am genuinely confident that a majority of flag displayers in all those Br places are innocent football fans, why aren't you?

Chaps sometimes need vans, while i am at it, and for reasons unknown 95% of vans are white. I used to own one myself, an LDV since you ask. And not as part of a sinister anti immigrant agenda.
    I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Cheaper because there's more of them or because it's cheaper to paint them that colour?

And anyway not the point, really. If you argue from van colour as proxy for poverty to moral character, what analogous arguments are you happy with?
    The white van as far as I am aware has never been a proxy for poverty. You are right it is nonetheless used as a slander alluding to a stereotypical moral character. It is a lazy stereotype, but I can work with that.
    No, I was deriving that purely from the White vans is cheaper point I was replying to

Was national kickball under way at the time of the nugee tweet?

ETA and the very very very serious point is that racism and homophobia and everything else are nothing more or less or different than lazy stereotyping which we must not do. And if you say But it's largely accurate, I could but won't come back with some also very largely accurate correlations between protected characteristic a and serious crime type b in area c. What's the difference?
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    edited August 2022
    Let's get a woman PM.. Free tampons. "Red" Wall goes Tory
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

No, I was deriving that purely from the White vans is cheaper point I was replying to

Nah it was the Rochester and Strood by election. Peak kipperism
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534

Taz said:

Ironically after all the furore the owner of the property was interviewed and you couldn’t have asked for a more stereotypical image of a flag waving ultra nationalist UKIP supporter .
    Liz rubbish on the question of whether she'd give state handouts to those facing impossible fuel bills. All she needed to say (even if her real plan is to tell people to f*** off and freeze) was 'nothing is off the table'. Instead she ended up chuntering on about Putin. Everything she says on energy supply is true, but none of it is short term stuff. Fracking ain't going to help in October.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,149
    edited August 2022

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wiki:

In Ireland, allegedly, chips. (As related by a colleague with many Irish relatives).
    Not to be dismissed. A major source of vitamin C in many folks' diets. Not rich, but eaten in large quantities.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

I may be wrong, but I suspect the chap being sneered at by Thornbury was a genuine patriot and not just a football fan. In Thornbury's defence I would be happy to sneer over the top of my Guardian too.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wiki:

Miranda Keeling
    @MirandaKeeling
    ·
    3h
    Man ordering in a cafe: A baked potato with chips please.
    Waiter (laughs): You like potatoes eh?
    Man: No.
    Long pause.
    Waiter: Tea or coffee?

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Nah it was the Rochester and Strood by election. Peak kipperism
    RIGHT so it was analogous to an election poster.
    Northern Power Rail will go to Bradford as well commits Truss.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Haggis I think..

Not to mention clootie dumpling.
  • Liz rubbish on the question of whether she'd give state handouts to those facing impossible fuel bills. All she needed to say (even if her real plan is to tell people to f*** off and freeze) was 'nothing is off the table'. Instead she ended up chuntering on about Putin. Everything she says on energy supply is true, but none of it is short term stuff. Fracking ain't going to help in October.

She and the Borisite cabinet don't get it. The economy is about to go bang. In her first few weeks in office. She needs (a) understanding, (b) sympathy and (c) a plan. She is demonstrating she has none of these. Which is a problem.
    The Tory party is in an awful mess potentially. Judging by the cheers and shouting the membership worship Johnson and can't understand why he has gone and yet the majority of his cabinet and lower ministers resigned en masse because he was unfit for office.

The stab in the back myth aligned with the king 'o the water is going to poison things for years and Johnson will love stirring the cauldron.

• londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,153

Liz rubbish on the question of whether she'd give state handouts to those facing impossible fuel bills. All she needed to say (even if her real plan is to tell people to f*** off and freeze) was 'nothing is off the table'. Instead she ended up chuntering on about Putin. Everything she says on energy supply is true, but none of it is short term stuff. Fracking ain't going to help in October.

She and the Borisite cabinet don't get it. The economy is about to go bang. In her first few weeks in office. She needs (a) understanding, (b) sympathy and (c) a plan. She is demonstrating she has none of these. Which is a problem.
    Hasn't the economy gone bang already? :rage:

Hasn't the economy gone bang already? :rage:
    Not compared to the autumn bang.

I think the issue is who she is having to appeal to. You are not part of the electorate. There is no point pitching to you (yet). You have to get into office first.
    I have no doubt that whoever wins, action will be taken. It will have to be. But the collection of elderly entitled and deluded oafs who do get to vote don’t want to here this.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

I may be wrong, but I suspect the chap being sneered at by Thornbury was a genuine patriot and not just a football fan. In Thornbury's defence I would be happy to sneer over the top of my Guardian too.
    It was when everyone who used to be working class Labour was going UKIP and they were third and nowhere in a seat Bob Marshall Andrews had held in 2005 (on old boundaries), so she decided to trash them. Splitters gonna get wrecked says plump Islington wife of a Lord style socialist

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Genuine patriot is sneering material? Harmless buffoonery in my book, it is football fans I reserve the weapons grade contempt for. Funny old world.

One guy on this ward is getting morphine and the other 2 have got opiate envy and suddenly telling the nurses their agony rating has rocketed to 8/8. Sadly I initially rated mine 1 or 2 so stuck with paracetamol.

I'm not sure she really *needs* any of those things - for me she needs good instincts, flexibility, and a reasonable ability to predict the dynamic outcomes of her actions. I applaud her for wanting to allow people to keep more of their own money, rather than tax it off them then 'gift' it back. But she needs to be flexible enough to do what must be done if more is needed.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Genuine patriot is sneering material? Harmless buffoonery in my book, it is football fans I reserve the weapons grade contempt for. Funny old world.

One guy on this ward is getting morphine and the other 2 have got opiate envy and suddenly telling the nurses their agony rating has rocketed to 8/8. Sadly I initially rated mine 1 or 2 so stuck with paracetamol.
    Mind, it's going to be a lot easier coming off the old paracetamol.
  • Northern Power Rail will go to Bradford as well commits Truss.

"Bradford Parkway". Remember that they have already cancelled the Yorkshire section of HS3. So going to Bradford means renaming Morley station as "Bradford Parkway" and building a new link road to the A650.
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Medics are far too worried about handing out proper painkillers because of unfounded concerns around addiction and Harold Shipman.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wiki:

Not to be dismissed. A major source of vitamin C in many folks' diets. Not rich, but eaten in large quantities.
    Also Vit C is water soluble, so preserved by frying compared to boiling.

• The Tory party is in an awful mess potentially. Judging by the cheers and shouting the membership worship Johnson and can't understand why he has gone and yet the majority of his cabinet and lower ministers resigned en masse because he was unfit for office.

The stab in the back myth aligned with the king 'o the water is going to poison things for years and Johnson will love stirring the cauldron.

Talking of which:

Liz Truss says she would vote to end the privileges committee investigation into whether the PM misled parliament (if such a vote existed)

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1557089965741412352

Kill him why you can Liz. Or he will destroy you.
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wiki:

Indeed. Irish stew would be better also than separately cooking your lamb stew and spuds, too, I imagine.
  • Liz Truss will have a new Cabinet minister for military veterans. She is still prone to pulling policies out of thin air that have to be "clarified" afterwards.
  • Liz rubbish on the question of whether she'd give state handouts to those facing impossible fuel bills. All she needed to say (even if her real plan is to tell people to f*** off and freeze) was 'nothing is off the table'. Instead she ended up chuntering on about Putin. Everything she says on energy supply is true, but none of it is short term stuff. Fracking ain't going to help in October.

I'm not sure she really *needs* any of those things - for me she needs good instincts, flexibility, and a reasonable ability to predict the dynamic outcomes of her actions. I applaud her for wanting to allow people to keep more of their own money, rather than tax it off them then 'gift' it back. But she needs to be flexible enough to do what must be done if more is needed.
    What do you mean "if" more is needed? A lot more will be needed within weeks at most of her taking office.
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wiki:

Good enough for me. Chip shops also seem on board, hence the huge portions. Who knew they were looking out for the nations vit C levels?
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Sorry to hear you're under the doctor. Hope you're out soon.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Tempted to destroy my Rishi position again off the back of that, but will probably let it ride.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

ETA and the very very very serious point is that racism and homophobia and everything else are nothing more or less or different than lazy stereotyping which we must not do. And if you say But it's largely accurate, I could but won't come back with some also very largely accurate correlations between protected characteristic a and serious crime type b in area c. What's the difference?
    No, and a good point.

As a sneering Guardianista I am guided by my smug superiority. Oh whoops! Another silly stereotype.
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wiki:

Amazing how little vitamin C you need. Amundsen was fine, Scott and Co died horribly, largely on the difference between fresh seal meat (hardly any) vs tinned beef (none at all).
  • Tempted to destroy my Rishi position again off the back of that, but will probably let it ride.

No change in Betfair prices so far.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    I may have missed this but is it correct that Kemi Badenoch has endorsed neither Sunak nor Truss?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,184
    Another heartbreakingly lovely sunset on England's Atlantic Coast.
    I almost
    feel like I can never come back to Cornwall. It can surely never be this good again.

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Sorry to hear you're under the doctor. Hope you're out soon.
    Thank you. it's an elective hip replacement courtesy of Our NHS gawd bless em, so all good. Home after one night tomorrow.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

Liz Truss will have a new Cabinet minister for military veterans. She is still prone to pulling policies out of thin air that have to be "clarified" afterwards.

For someone who claims to be 'straight talking', Liz Truss does seem to get 'misinterpreted' on a regular basis
    https://twitter.com/JohnJCrace/status/1556248866990833664

The Tory party is in an awful mess potentially. Judging by the cheers and shouting the membership worship Johnson and can't understand why he has gone and yet the majority of his cabinet and lower ministers resigned en masse because he was unfit for office.

Talking of which:

Liz Truss says she would vote to end the privileges committee investigation into whether the PM misled parliament (if such a vote existed)

Honestly I despair. At least the Party only has a few hundred thousand members and not the millions of people fanatically loyal to Trump.
    edited August 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wiki:

Amazing how little vitamin C you need. Amundsen was fine, Scott and Co died horribly, largely on the difference between fresh seal meat (hardly any) vs tinned beef (none at all).
    I think it's partly related to how much in the way of stores one has in the body (very limited, but still) - but also how quickly it is used up. Rancid fats, as from old salted meat, would need more vitC to combat the resulting free radicals, than fresh seal meat. There is a very interesting observation from C18/C19 RN days that ship's cooks were particularly prone to scurvy. They were the ones who had most access to the 'slush' - the fat that scummed to the surface of the coppers [edit] when boiling the salt meat and was begged by some people to put on their hard tack biscuits. I've not come across any discussion of scurvy in the maritime world which really took this aspect, of consuption rate of vitC, into account.

What do you mean "if" more is needed? A lot more will be needed within weeks at most of her taking office.
    Then I am sure she'll do what's needed. There may be an element that isn't being declared - potentially lowering the cap? That couldn't really be touted in a leadership campaign if it were the intention.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534

Talking of which:

Jeez she really is clueless . Even if she could do this it would look shocking to the public that she’s trying to get Johnson off. The more I see of her the more I loathe her .
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    LAB deficit in Scotland now 35 points.

Starmer is a dud.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,153
    Still not keen on either Rishi or Liz :angry:
  • LAB deficit in Scotland now 35 points.

Starmer is a dud.

You’re becoming as boring as rooty
    nico679 said:

Talking of which:

Jeez she really is clueless . Even if she could do this it would look shocking to the public that she’s trying to get Johnson off. The more I see of her the more I loathe her .
    At least she will purge Woke Lefty language from our primary schools mathematics:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/148813032645083136?t=-hz6iHTle5tqKhQMeLSLdA&s=19

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Medics are far too worried about handing out proper painkillers because of unfounded concerns around addiction and Harold Shipman.
    OTOH my considered view is paracetamol is much more effective than people think, because you can get it OTC. I have a major tramadol stockpile because paracetamol is more effective, except recreationally
  • IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

It was less than a week after England beat Slovenia 3-1, and Rooney's 100th cap

The guy said he'd flown his flags since the World Cup in the summer. I don't know if he meant constantly since the Summer

"The resident of the house, Dan Ware, said Ms Thornberry - the MP for Islington South and Finsbury - was a "snob".

"I've not got a clue who she is - but she's a snob," he told the Sun. "We put the flags up for the World Cup (in 2014) and will continue to fly them.""
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30139832
  • LAB deficit in Scotland now 35 points.

Starmer is a dud.

Has @bigjohnowls hacked your account or summat?
    edited August 2022
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

At least she will purge Woke Lefty language from our primary schools mathematics:

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/148813032645083136?t=-hz6iHTle5tqKhQMeLSLdA&s=19
    How absolutely extraordinary. She obviously doesn't know the meaning of those words. Or is pretending not to. I don't know which is worse.

Edit: I had to go back and look again. But it does seem to be her account, not a parody one.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Busy Lizzy is going to need to make some u-turns on her energy spiel or she's going to be absolubtely battered byLabour at the next GE.
    Cyclefree said:

I may have missed this but is it correct that Kemi Badenoch has endorsed neither Sunak nor Truss?

Shows a bit of intelligence there!
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912
    Cookie said:

I almost
    feel like I can never come back to Cornwall. It can surely never be this good again.

I felt the same there last week - we even stayed an extra day. Magical place.
  • Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%

Two hours of hustings made no discernible difference to Betfair punters.

Betfair next prime minister
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9.6 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Cyclefree said:

Yes. She's clever.
    What is risk of energy shortages this winter. I didn't know we imported electricity from Europe.
  • SNAP POLL: 45% of Americans say it is a very big problem if Donald Trump took classified material with him to his private residence after leaving office.

By party:

Democrats: 76%
    Independents: 44%
    Republicans: 12%

https://twitter.com/YouGovAmerica/status/1557092713631137792
    Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wiki:

I think it's partly related to how much in the way of stores one has in the body (very limited, but still) - but also how quickly it is used up. Rancid fats, as from old salted meat, would need more vitC to combat the resulting free radicals, than fresh seal meat. There is a very interesting observation from C18/C19 RN days that ship's cooks were particularly prone to scurvy. They were the ones who had most access to the 'slush' - the fat that scummed to the surface of the coppers [edit] when boiling the salt meat and was begged by some people to put on their hard tack biscuits. I've not come across any discussion of scurvy in the maritime world which really took this aspect, of consuption rate of vitC, into account.
    That is really interesting, up there with Franklin dying of lead solder on the tins and Mawson's vitamin A poisoning. Nature did not design us for the high latitudes

Only 3 types of mammal cannot synthesise vitamin c: primates including homo, guinea pigs, and old world fruit bats.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited August 2022

Still not keen on either Rishi or Liz :angry:

I can understand why you have that viewpoint, but all the signs are and in my opinion have only been strengthen tonight that Liz Truss will be on her way to the Palace on the 6th September

Her cabinet will be very interesting, as will how she takes on Starmer and labour, and to be honest I reserve judgement as I really do not know how she will fair
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    edited August 2022

SNAP POLL: 45% of Americans say it is a very big problem if Donald Trump took classified material with him to his private residence after leaving office.

By party:

12% republican?!

Jeez. America, its norms, institutions and democracy is in a very bad place.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Fascinating exchange caught on mics at end of Tory leadership hustings between Liz Truss and host Tom Newton Dunn
    LT: I'm sorry I was mean about the media, Tom
    TND: It's cheap - and you know it
    Miaaoowwww!

Cyclefree said:

Yes. She's clever.
    It does fit in a bit with the idea that she was a Sunak plant though. Now covering her tracks by not endorsing him.
    Scott_xP said:

Fascinating exchange caught on mics at end of Tory leadership hustings between Liz Truss and host Tom Newton Dunn
    LT: I'm sorry I was mean about the media, Tom
    TND: It's cheap - and you know it
    Miaaoowwww!

I found him thoroughly dislikable throughout.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,263
    edited August 2022
    Cookie said:

I almost

Is your back better?

You are indeed getting Cornwall in the best possible weather. Enjoy

I took my older daughter to Stowe today, in perfect shimmering sunshine, expecting this stupendously famous garden to be crowded. It was blissfully deserted, tho the grass needs rain badly. We had a fabulous picnic

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

Shows a bit of intelligence there!
    Quite shrewd of her I think.

It may make sense for her to sit this government out.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    edited August 2022
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

How absolutely extraordinary. She obviously doesn't know the meaning of those words. Or is pretending not to. I don't know which is worse.

Edit: I had to go back and look again. But it does seem to be her account, not a parody one.
    Some twenty odd years ago I thought a tutorial student was taking the piss when using 'times' as a verb instead of 'multiply'. As in "you times a with b to get c". Regrettably, that seems to be the language used in schools nowadays.

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    ping said:

SNAP POLL: 45% of Americans say it is a very big problem if Donald Trump took classified material with him to his private residence after leaving office.

By party:

12% republican?!

Jeez. America, its norms, institutions and democracy is in a very bad place.
    Indeed.
    But it's the Independents which are most significant. They are a bigger group than either of the parties.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

Please tell me that was the work of some hapless flunky and not Britain's future prime minister.
  • Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

Please tell me that was the work of some hapless flunky and not Britain's future prime minister.
    Dated December 2011. At that point, she essentially was the hapless flunky.
    geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

Some twenty odd years ago I thought a tutorial student was taking the piss when using 'times' as a verb instead of 'multiply'. As in "you times a with b to get c". Regrettably, that seems to be the language used in schools nowadays.

In their defence, they do get taught ‘times’ tables.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

LAB deficit in Scotland now 35 points.

Starmer is a dud.

You’re becoming as boring as rooty
    ’Muscular Unionism’ is clearly considered boring by Scottish voters.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,772
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

OTOH my considered view is paracetamol is much more effective than people think, because you can get it OTC. I have a major tramadol stockpile because paracetamol is more effective, except recreationally
    There's a lot of clinical trials that back up that assertion.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

In their defence, they do get taught ‘times’ tables.
    So was I in the 1940s. And they went up to 12!

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

By party:

But her emails.
  • Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

Talking of which:

It is a 2011 tweet so might make more sense in the context of the day. iirc Truss co-wrote a thinktank report on maths teaching before becoming an MP so perhaps the answer lies in there.
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Pshaw. I offer a mighty anecdote and am repaid with measly data.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,263
    edited August 2022
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Dihydrocodeine is the best painkiller in pill form, that I know of (and I know quite a few)

I once nearly overdosed, fatally, on liquid morphine sulphate. Friend kept a big jar in the fridge. Told me to "have as much as you like"

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    Liz is mad.
    We *were* warned.

"I'm somebody who wants to see farmers producing food." - Truss.

Give me strength. The level of the debate in these hustings is enough to drive one to absinthe.

That's why she signed trade deals which screw over British farmers then, I imagine.
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Taz said:

I love the sarcasm.

Sarcasm?

Pshaw. I offer a mighty anecdote and am repaid with measly data.
    I’m pretty sure that hot broth is better than both.

Cyclefree said:

Yes. She's clever.
    It does fit in a bit with the idea that she was a Sunak plant though. Now covering her tracks by not endorsing him.
    No jury would convict on that evidence, or lack of same.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    My wife gave birth to my son on two paracetamol.

Good old NHS.
    edited August 2022
    Cyclefree said:

"I'm somebody who wants to see farmers producing food." - Truss.

Give me strength. The level of the debate in these hustings is enough to drive one to absinthe.

That's why she signed trade deals which screw over British farmers then, I imagine.
    Did she specify British farmers? (As in producing food)
This discussion has been closed.