Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Support for Brexit drops to new low with YouGov – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

Interesting that Chancellor Scholz met with Starmer in Berlin today... https://twitter.com/olafscholz/status/1547969695348707328

I wonder if Starmer brought up Ukraine.
    This would suggest so:

"It was a pleasure meeting @OlafScholz today.

Labour has a plan to ensure Britain and Germany can work closely together to help boost economic growth, stimulate the green transition and continue to support Ukraine as we resist Russian aggression."

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1547921359442849797?s=20&t=ZPqxgpt4RRd3-NPniRRBRw
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    dixiedean said:

Paul Ryder RIP.
    Melon twisted for good.

Surprised Shaun Ryder is still with us to be honest.
  • Options
    PaulSimonPaulSimon Posts: 34

Everyone aged 50 and over will be offered a Covid booster vaccine this autumn to top up their immunity and cut their risk of becoming severely ill.

Younger people at high risk from Covid, as well as health and social care staff, will also get the booster.

They should offer them to younger people who are willing to pay for them ourselves, like with flu jabs. Or are we anticipating supply constraints?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440

God I hate people like this.

Claire Yaxley owes her mother thousands of pounds, but has still splashed out recently on a Fitbit, an exercise bike and a trip to Butlins.

"Things are getting more difficult every single day," the single mum-of-two admitted. "And yet I'm not putting money aside, I am spending it."

New research seen by the BBC suggests 25% of people are similarly stretched, but reluctant to stop spending.

The Grant Thornton and Retail Economics report surveyed 2,000 UK adults.

Ms Yaxley, who lives near Norwich with her daughters earns around £16,000 a year through various jobs in the education sector.

She has borrowed £6,000 from her mother to help make ends meet, and knows that she should be trying to pay her back, in addition to saving a bit every month given the rising cost of living.

But she said this rarely happens, because she's prioritising spending on treats for her family after a tough few years during the pandemic.

"My income fluctuates, but when I have a bit more, I do spend it rather than save it," she said.

That has included spending £100 on a foldable exercise bike and £430 on a weekend trip to Butlins holiday resort over the school holidays.

Ms Yaxley said she does feel "guilty" for spending on non-essential items, particularly given the rising cost of petrol and food. But after two years of Covid restrictions, she feels like the family deserves it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62148525.amp

Not sure she could save much on 16k-rent.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited July 2022

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

You can actually feel the heat building now, in London

This needs a sound track. Maybe the Specials and Ghost town?
    I'm genuinely unsure that most of us will survive this HEAT-ATTACK; I expect millions of dead by Wednesday

This is going to make World War One look like a laughable picnic with Nutella sandwiches and crisps and squash

DOGS ON THE MOON
    If you wanted to make a rather morbid bet, I'd be willing to bet fewer people die next week than in the same week in six months time, ie the same corresponding week of January 2023.

People always bang on about the "danger" of heat, but heat is time and again shown to be far less deadly than cold.

Its just heat is exotic, so people talk about that more. Its like plane crashes versus car crashes. Next week's weather is still safer than bog standard normal winter weather.
    Borderline acceptable most years, but bad taste this time round because people will be dying of not being able to afford the heating this winter.
    That will definitely be happening, sadly, unless there is something radical from the Government to get the vulnerable through through the next few winters.

I'd slash the fuel cap to where it was in January 2019. Borrow to subsidise it if necessary. Find a way.
    I would rebuild the taxation of fuel so that the amount taken is fixed per litre. Yes, it is several taxes. It can be done. So the Treasury gets XXp per litre, rain or shine. This would reduce the size of the movements in fuel prices to the actual changes in cost.
    You could do that by changing it to a carbon tax, and then apply the carbon tax across the board (currently road fuels are taxed much more heavily than other sources of carbon).
    More polluting though, in terms of energy yield, I'd think. Also to give some sort of pro rata element of mileage for the usage of the road system, to allow for its construction and maintenance, and associated costs such as pollution, accidents, congestion, policing and so on.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

I'm genuinely unsure that most of us will survive this HEAT-ATTACK; I expect millions of dead by Wednesday

This is going to make World War One look like a laughable picnic with Nutella sandwiches and crisps and squash

DOGS ON THE MOON
    If you wanted to make a rather morbid bet, I'd be willing to bet fewer people die next week than in the same week in six months time, ie the same corresponding week of January 2023.

People always bang on about the "danger" of heat, but heat is time and again shown to be far less deadly than cold.

Its just heat is exotic, so people talk about that more. Its like plane crashes versus car crashes. Next week's weather is still safer than bog standard normal winter weather.
    Borderline acceptable most years, but bad taste this time round because people will be dying of not being able to afford the heating this winter.
    That will definitely be happening, sadly, unless there is something radical from the Government to get the vulnerable through through the next few winters.

I'd slash the fuel cap to where it was in January 2019. Borrow to subsidise it if necessary. Find a way.
    I would rebuild the taxation of fuel so that the amount taken is fixed per litre. Yes, it is several taxes. It can be done. So the Treasury gets XXp per litre, rain or shine. This would reduce the size of the movements in fuel prices to the actual changes in cost.
    You could do that by changing it to a carbon tax, and then apply the carbon tax across the board (currently road fuels are taxed much more heavily than other sources of carbon).
    That's partly to cover the cost of roads surely?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited July 2022
    Cyclefree said:

A very pleasant 17 degrees here in the Lakes with a light breeze and blue skies.

Just saying.

We have 21C, a brilliant blue sea, gentle sea breeze and a scattering of thin cloud.

(but I am sure that Ben’s kitchen is nicer)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    My goodness, Putin has done something I agree with!

He's sacked Dmitry Rogozin (the head of Roskosmos, the Russian space agency).

Rogozin was a rather (ahem) eccentric character. Hopefully he'll be able to retire to a large trampoline somewhere...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    PaulSimon said:

Everyone aged 50 and over will be offered a Covid booster vaccine this autumn to top up their immunity and cut their risk of becoming severely ill.

Younger people at high risk from Covid, as well as health and social care staff, will also get the booster.

They should offer them to younger people who are willing to pay for them ourselves, like with flu jabs. Or are we anticipating supply constraints?
    Unless it's a different vaccine I'd guess most u 50s would still have "good enough" immunity from the triple regime
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

A very pleasant 17 degrees here in the Lakes with a light breeze and blue skies.

Just saying.

We have 21C, a brilliant blue sea, gentle sea breeze and a scattering of thin cloud.

(but I am sure that Ben’s kitchen is nicer)
    18 and overcast.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Claire Yaxley owes her mother thousands of pounds, but has still splashed out recently on a Fitbit, an exercise bike and a trip to Butlins.

"Things are getting more difficult every single day," the single mum-of-two admitted. "And yet I'm not putting money aside, I am spending it."

New research seen by the BBC suggests 25% of people are similarly stretched, but reluctant to stop spending.

Ms Yaxley, who lives near Norwich with her daughters earns around £16,000 a year through various jobs in the education sector.

She has borrowed £6,000 from her mother to help make ends meet, and knows that she should be trying to pay her back, in addition to saving a bit every month given the rising cost of living.

But she said this rarely happens, because she's prioritising spending on treats for her family after a tough few years during the pandemic.

"My income fluctuates, but when I have a bit more, I do spend it rather than save it," she said.

That has included spending £100 on a foldable exercise bike and £430 on a weekend trip to Butlins holiday resort over the school holidays.

Ms Yaxley said she does feel "guilty" for spending on non-essential items, particularly given the rising cost of petrol and food. But after two years of Covid restrictions, she feels like the family deserves it.

How this woman spends her money is her own business. I am not surprised she feels the need to spend on some very minor treats given the last few years.

I don’t get the issue.
  • Options
    PaulSimon said:

I am sure you'll be able to buy them if you don't qualify for a free one.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

That is no way to talk about your employer on a public forum

[unless you seriously claim that the source of your salary, is not her credit card interest payments]
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Calls for public inquiry into child sexual exploitation in Oldham defeated at raucous meeting

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/calls-public-inquiry-child-sexual-24491366
  • Options

ClippP said:

Leon said:

"280 people BURNED to death - basically - as they race from their homes, pets shrieking in pain as their adorable eyes MELT

TENS of THOUSANDS expected to DIE as extreme brutal ravaging temperatures STALK THE LANDS LIKE A DRUNKEN GORGON

Billions of hectares of fertile land INCINERATED. Savage spires of flame eating up entire countries like huge golden cathedrals of Satan with jaws the size of Portugal and even bigger than that

DOGS ON THE MOON

Diane Abbot EXPLODES. Orgasmo-furnaces in HELL. AYYYYYYYYDEATHDEATH ahahahaha DEATH"

BBC News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62175758

Someone should ask the Conservative leadership candidates what they plan to do about firefighting wildfires as well as tower block fires.

And why the MoD set fire to Salisbury Plain earlier in the week.
    https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-07-12/ministry-of-defence-issues-statement-as-wild-fires-burn-on-salisbury-plain

Military training involves lots of things that can start wild fires. A classic is the use of smoke rounds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defence-secretary-ben-wallace-visits-armed-forces-of-ukraine-as-training-programme-starts-across-the-uk
    Then military training should extend to looking at the weather forecast and the state of the grass.
    Sometimes military necessity outweighs such concerns.
    In Peacetime? On Salibury plain?
    There is a small war going on. You may have seen something in the news about it. We are training some of the soldiers fighting in it. See my link above.

Imagine telling a Ukrainian recruit that we are stopping their training because the grass is too dry.
    No need to imagine. The linked story said they did have to stop training because of the fire started by earlier training.
    So that would be "because the grass is on fire." Not the same.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294

How this woman spends her money is her own business. I am not surprised she feels the need to spend on some very minor treats given the last few years.

I don’t get the issue.
    It’s the borrowing from your parents saying you’re struggling with money then spending over £500 on bikes and holidays is taking the piss.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Wallace still not weighed in behind any candidates yet? I know there's been talk of him and Rishi clashing, but feels like given he is popular Wallace backing him is abotu the only hope Rishi still has.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Sir John Hayes having none of this weather malarkey.
  • Options

I don’t get the issue.
    It’s the borrowing from your parents saying you’re struggling with money then spending over £500 on bikes and holidays is taking the piss.
    Again, what business is it of yours?
    Have you never borrowed from your parents?
    I may be mistaken but weren’t you actually given a flat in your youth?

The woman had a kid of her own and a Butlins holiday camp is pretty much the cheapest holiday you are going to find.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

Leon said:

The heat is ALREADY so historically bad they have started stabbing each other in the streets of Camden, at 4.17pm. I can see it from my window, FFS. Jesus Christ. BLOOD. BLOOD EVERYWHERE

Normally this starts at about 5.30

Knife crime seems to have very little attention in terms of media / politics these days. Might be a bit like the grooming gangs, is a huge problem which requires some difficult questions asking and controversial solutions.

Has crime even come up in the leadership race?
    The London homicide rate, after shooting up in 2018 and 2019 has fallen pretty sharply. This year - six and a half months already done - there have only been 47. We may well end up below 90 for the year, which would be the lowest rate since record began.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    kle4 said:

Wallace still not weighed in behind any candidates yet? I know there's been talk of him and Rishi clashing, but feels like given he is popular Wallace backing him is abotu the only hope Rishi still has.

A Mordaunt man.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

Rogozin was a rather (ahem) eccentric character. Hopefully he'll be able to retire to a large trampoline somewhere...

I err... mentioned that earlier. Compete with an indifferent trampoline joke.

Elon Musk must be LOLing. Particularly about the suggestion that Rogozin will be sent to Donbass...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The heat is ALREADY so historically bad they have started stabbing each other in the streets of Camden, at 4.17pm. I can see it from my window, FFS. Jesus Christ. BLOOD. BLOOD EVERYWHERE

Knife crime seems to have very little attention in terms of media / politics these days. Might be a bit like the grooming gangs, is a huge problem which requires some difficult questions asking and controversial solutions.

The London homicide rate, after shooting up in 2018 and 2019 has fallen pretty sharply. This year - six and a half months already done - there have only been 47. We may well end up below 90 for the year, which would be the lowest rate since record began.
    The getting-rid-of-Cressida-Dick-effect?
    😂
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I said knife crime, not murders. And not just London.

CasinoAlpha, an online gambling services aggregator, used their team of mathematical analysts to prove that the chances of getting stabbed in London are much higher now than in the last 10 years.

London's stabbing chances are at a record high, as seen in an analysis, with 2021 showing the highest number of such crimes in 18 years. This is despite an overall decrease in crime rates in England and Wales.

London's knife crime rates have unfortunately increased in recent years, with a 10% jump from last year and a 29% increase since 2011. This past year has seen historical records for teenage homicides, largely due to sharp object violence.

https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/london-s-highest-stabbing-rate-peaked-in-2021-as-shown-by-casinoalpha-843037062.html
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Personally I think we should either

i. Leave the ECHR (YEs yes I know it's not part of the EU)
    or
    ii. Join the Euro.

Perhaps do both :D not sure that'd be allowed by the powers that be though...

Not sure where you get your boner for the Euro from?

Surely, the 2010-2011 eurozone crisis, and flat-footedness of the ECB since, has shown why that'd have been a bad idea for us.

It'd be a huge extra economic constraint for the removal of some marginal trade frictions. True, it would give us more political influence (as we'd be signed up to the whole thing) but that'd be far from decisive and only in one direction.

If the whole thing ever fell over, and it often looks very shaky, then we'd be horribly exposed.
    By "extra economic constraint" do you really mean "one fewer thing for the government to fuck up"?
    Not really, the BoE couldn't set interest rates or do quantitative easing in future, so that would certainly be a constraint. So would the ability of sterling to act as an automatic stabiliser in responding to economic shocks. Instead, employment in the economy at large would have to take it instead.

And, it's effectively irreversible - a decision to join could only be taken once.

I'd never vote for it, even with a gun to my head.
    If the choice was actual death or Euro membership, I would hold my nose and go with Euro membership. Not least because Euro membership can almost certainly be undone, while death cannot.
  • Options

I don’t get the issue.
    Are you feeling OK? There is no indication of her mum's circumstances, and £500 is about one sixth of the price of a decent pair of shoes.*

And if you don't like working class profligacy don't make a living out of it. Make like Samuel L Jackson in the final scene of Pulp Fiction.

*in the sales
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Techne 14 July

Lab 40% (-1)
    Con 31% (+2)
    LD 13% (-1)
    Grn 6% (nc)
    SNP 4% (nc)
    oth 6% (nc)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    IshmaelZ said:

I don’t get the issue.
    Are you feeling OK? There is no indication of her mum's circumstances, and £500 is about one sixth of the price of a decent pair of shoes.*

And if you don't like working class profligacy don't make a living out of it. Make like Samuel L Jackson in the final scene of Pulp Fiction.

*in the sales
    Hmm, an exercise bike does have a functional role - particularly for a working parent (single?) with children. And £100 isn't a lot for one.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,498

Leon said:

"280 people BURNED to death - basically - as they race from their homes, pets shrieking in pain as their adorable eyes MELT

TENS of THOUSANDS expected to DIE as extreme brutal ravaging temperatures STALK THE LANDS LIKE A DRUNKEN GORGON

Billions of hectares of fertile land INCINERATED. Savage spires of flame eating up entire countries like huge golden cathedrals of Satan with jaws the size of Portugal and even bigger than that

DOGS ON THE MOON

Diane Abbot EXPLODES. Orgasmo-furnaces in HELL. AYYYYYYYYDEATHDEATH ahahahaha DEATH"

BBC News

Someone should ask the Conservative leadership candidates what they plan to do about firefighting wildfires as well as tower block fires.

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2022-07-12/ministry-of-defence-issues-statement-as-wild-fires-burn-on-salisbury-plain

Military training involves lots of things that can start wild fires. A classic is the use of smoke rounds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defence-secretary-ben-wallace-visits-armed-forces-of-ukraine-as-training-programme-starts-across-the-uk
    Then military training should extend to looking at the weather forecast and the state of the grass.
    That's what military ALWAYS says.

In Seattle just after 911, military wanted to use Seattle Public Utilities watershed for training. Claiming "military necessity".

Response: no problem PROVIDED the Department of Defense was willing to pay a LOT of money to fund water treatment system. Which was NOT required IF the watershed was out-of-bounds for 99.46% of human activity, that is everything except monitoring of water quality.

Turned out that the "necessity" really wasn't THAT necessary.

So as explanation for creating forest fire, think "military necessity" is so much (cavalry?) horse shit.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,242
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Huzzah for Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick! Oh...
  • Options

I don’t get the issue.

The woman had a kid of her own and a Butlins holiday camp is pretty much the cheapest holiday you are going to find.
    Not quite, as a callow 21 straight out of university I started a job in London and was going to rent but my parents insisted I should jump onto the property ladder so they got a mortgage for me and lent me money for the deposit and furnishings.

I paid them back within 18 months.

Which they put towards the mortgage so I repaid them again when I found out.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Calls for public inquiry into child sexual exploitation in Oldham defeated at raucous meeting

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/calls-public-inquiry-child-sexual-24491366

Sounds like the Labour leadership - which effectively blocked a public inquiry - were getting their lines from one or two on here:

"The original motion doesn’t explain what benefit at all a public inquiry would have, either providing improvements to our assurance for today’s children and young people or seeking justice for historic victims of abuse.”

• Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT: Flatlander said: "I suspect (no calculations) that using solar roof tiles to power a reversible heat pump would be more effective.

These are actually a thing now although they aren't cheap."

That is, more effective than my suggestion of changing the color of color of roofs, making them more reflective in the summer, more absorbent in the winter.

There were two qualifications in my original comment: for some buildings, in some climates. Let's say, for example, that you have a building that you plan to use for just five more years. It might make economic sense to repaint the roof twice a year, using very inexpensive paints (since they don't have to last long.

(It is good to hear that the combination you describe is actually being installed in some places. And I can imagine it being a good choice -- for some buildings, in some climates. If not now, in the future.)

There are quite a lot of low cost, low efficiency solar technologies out there that could have widespread usage - windows with CdTe or CIGS coverings, that would never be enough to power a building, but which could easily reduce energy consumption by 10-15%, and which (if installed when the building is built) my only add 1% to total costs.

And there's a company that a spinout from the University of Melbourne that's hoping to launch solar paint later this year. This would only be 1-2% efficient, but which could be extremely cheap to make and install. (That being said, I do worry that in some places, it would lead to buildings absorbing more heat - so I would want to see some more work before getting too excited.)
    According to a relative, who does high-end domestic construction, solar panels on the roof not merely power the air-conditioning, they also can noticeably reduce the power required, since they act as a sun shade to the roof....
    Panels sit on top of your roof, and the ability to conduct heat into the building is low.

Solar paint would be different: it would be directly absorbing solar energy into the walls. Now, if it was very efficient at converting to electricity, that would be fine, but if it was not, then it might end up basically bringing more heat into the building that energy used to cool it. I
  • Options

Elon Musk must be LOLing. Particularly about the suggestion that Rogozin will be sent to Donbass...
    Sorry, missed your post. Apols.

I've found it really hard to understand how NASA could work with Rogozin given the stuff he would say. NASA's liaison staff in Russia must be really excellent at remaining quiet in the presence of idiocy.

It'll also be interesting to see if the Soyuz/Dragon seat swaps occur now. Russia agreed to it a month ago, but it looks as though it's all change...
  • Options
    According to data from the Home Office and Office of National Statistics, there were a total of 27,093 knife offences in England and Wales in the year 2020 (beginning in April and ending in March 2021).

These figures include fatal injuries, injuries with intent to cause serious harm, threats to kill and attempted murder. The total number of offences do not include robbery, burglary, rape, sexual assault, public fear, criminal damage, possession of a weapon and other offences.

Year beginning April 2020 to March 2021:
    – Fatal Injury – 223
    – Injury with intent to cause serious harm – 21,421
    – Threat to kill – 4,984
    – Attempted murder – 465

Year beginning April 2019 to March 2020:
    – Fatal Injury – 262
    – Injury with intent to cause serious harm – 22,348
    – Threat to kill – 4,630
    – Attempted murder – 464

Year beginning April 2011 to March 2012:
    – Fatal Injury – 200
    – Injury with intent to cause serious harm – 12,714
    – Threat to kill – 1,127
    – Attempted murder – 234

Overall, the figures reveal that there has been a substantial increase in knife offences over the last 10 years. The total number of knife offences in the capital increased by some 90% between 2011 to 2021; injury with intent to cause serious harm increased by 68% and fatal injuries increased by 12%.

https://aoav.org.uk/2022/londons-murders-examined-key-figures-in-the-uk-capitals-homicides/#:~:text=London recorded the highest number for firearm and knife offences,1,481 in the North East.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

CasinoAlpha, an online gambling services aggregator, used their team of mathematical analysts to prove that the chances of getting stabbed in London are much higher now than in the last 10 years.

London's stabbing chances are at a record high, as seen in an analysis, with 2021 showing the highest number of such crimes in 18 years. This is despite an overall decrease in crime rates in England and Wales.

London's knife crime rates have unfortunately increased in recent years, with a 10% jump from last year and a 29% increase since 2011. This past year has seen historical records for teenage homicides, largely due to sharp object violence.

https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/london-s-highest-stabbing-rate-peaked-in-2021-as-shown-by-casinoalpha-843037062.html
    I can't for the life of me see what the statistical traps and fallacies are which this team of mathematical analysts are navigating us round. Surely it is number of bods over number of stabbed bods per year, ranked low to high? Even I could do the spreadsheet.
  • Options

I don’t get the issue.

Not quite, as a callow 21 straight out of university I started a job in London and was going to rent but my parents insisted I should jump onto the property ladder so they got a mortgage for me and lent me money for the deposit and furnishings.

You're not covering yourself in glory criticising Ms Yaxley though TSE. You're better than that.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Late afternoon all :)

In another act to wind up that numpty Sir John Hayes, the BHA have cancelled five race meetings scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.

Cards scheduled for Beverley and Windsor on Monday and for Chelmsford, Southwell and Wolverhampton have all been scrapped. Those wanting their daily horse racing fix will have to rely on Ayr and Cartmel (Monday) and Musselburgh (Tuesday).

Cartmel is a lovely track right in the village - they get huge crowds so will be happy the traditional Lake District climate has spared their meeting.
  • Options

I don’t get the issue.

Well indeed.
    You’re very lucky. Have a heart.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I can't for the life of me see what the statistical traps and fallacies are which this team of mathematical analysts are navigating us round. Surely it is number of bods over number of stabbed bods per year, ranked low to high? Even I could do the spreadsheet.
    My presumption would be it is some attempt to try and consider for the fact a lot of stabbing have been gang on gang, so a subset of society that the vast majority don't come into contact with. But I have listed some raw numbers post below.
  • Options

Sorry, missed your post. Apols.

I've found it really hard to understand how NASA could work with Rogozin given the stuff he would say. NASA's liaison staff in Russia must be really excellent at remaining quiet in the presence of idiocy.

It'll also be interesting to see if the Soyuz/Dragon seat swaps occur now. Russia agreed to it a month ago, but it looks as though it's all change...
    Always imagined a couple of civil servants on each side arranging stuff while carefully ignoring everything Trampoline Boi said.

The Russians need to be careful here. they could easily end up out of ISS - and then find the Americans bodge together attitude control for the station. Which would leave them with no destination for Soyuz - the Chinese station is unreachable due to inclination, I think.

And Soyuz has long been modified to not have much endurance as a free flyer. So that would mean pretty much the end of Russian manned space program.
  • Options
    I was raised by parents who believed that debt is the eighth deadliest sin.
  • Options

But clearly did not spend enough time on the seven heavenly virtues. Number one is chastity…
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited July 2022

Yes. There are questions. One is: Is this household among the 14 million people said by JRF to be in poverty.

Two: What is the total household income including benefits and benefits in kind.

Three: Why (a recurring feature) is there no mention of the father and his responsibilities.

Four: Who is she teaching in the education sector and what does she teach them.

Five: Who wants their sub-optimal attitudes broadcast to an audience of millions and why.

(Six: Why is her mum such an idiot)

• Options

But clearly did not spend enough time on the seven heavenly virtues. Number one is chastity…
    Hey I was chaste for the first 19 years of my life.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Sure: but if I go through the crime statistics, I can always find something that's going up. So long as I change what it is every couple of years, I can leave people with the impression that things are only getting worse.

A couple of years ago, there was this big brouhaha about London being more dangerous than New York. Now it's transparently clear that is simply not the case any more, that simply isn't a story.

Ultimately, why should I care about stabbings if shootings, blunt trauma, poisonings, etc., are all down?
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

My presumption would be it is some attempt to try and consider for the fact a lot of stabbing have been gang on gang, so a subset of society that the vast majority don't come into contact with. But I have listed some raw numbers post below.
    Yes, it is my understanding that if you are in the effected subgroup - teenagers in certain social groups - the chances of being involved or knowing someone involved in stabbing incidents is horrifically high.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Late afternoon all :)

In another act to wind up that numpty Sir John Hayes, the BHA have cancelled five race meetings scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.

Cards scheduled for Beverley and Windsor on Monday and for Chelmsford, Southwell and Wolverhampton have all been scrapped. Those wanting their daily horse racing fix will have to rely on Ayr and Cartmel (Monday) and Musselburgh (Tuesday).

Cartmel is a lovely track right in the village - they get huge crowds so will be happy the traditional Lake District climate has spared their meeting.

Are these Critical Race (Theory) meetings?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,524

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Sorry, taken by the riots in 1981 as the Specials played Potternewton Park.....while Ghost Town was Number One
    I was there! It was a fabulous day out.
  • Options
    LOL triumph for the "since records began" meme

"It is the first time a red heat warning has been issued for parts of the UK, although the extreme heat warning system was only introduced in 2021."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62177458
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Yes, well, people in poverty can get trapped in debt (whether sinful or not).
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Yes. There are questions. One is: Is this household among the 14 million people said by JRF to be in poverty.

Two: What is the total household income including benefits and benefits in kind.

Three: Why (a recurring feature) is there no mention of the father and his responsibilities.

Five: Who wants their sub-optimal attitudes broadcast to an audience of millions and why.

4 is most likely a teaching assistant. Minimum wage term time only.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Sure: but if I go through the crime statistics, I can always find something that's going up. So long as I change what it is every couple of years, I can leave people with the impression that things are only getting worse.

A couple of years ago, there was this big brouhaha about London being more dangerous than New York. Now it's transparently clear that is simply not the case any more, that simply isn't a story.

Ultimately, why should I care about stabbings if shootings, blunt trauma, poisonings, etc., are all down?
    My anecdotal observation is that New York is about 100 times more dangerous than London.

There are regular gun/knife crimes on the streets around me, and I live in a “nice” area.

The amount of homeless people you see is also remarkable. Yesterday I saw a guy shouting at a parking meter, claiming it was racist.
  • Options

The entire society is going to hell in that case.
    What is a mortgage anyways, but debt?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Hey I was chaste for the first 19 years of my life.

And now you chase them instead?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The entire society is going to hell in that case.
    What is a mortgage anyways, but debt?
    That’s one thing they never view as debt.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

My anecdotal observation is that New York is about 100 times more dangerous than London.

There are regular gun/knife crimes on the streets around me, and I live in a “nice” area.

The amount of homeless people you see is also remarkable. Yesterday I saw a guy shouting at a parking meter, claiming it was racist.
    Don't follow leaders
    Watch your parking meters.

Sound advice it seems.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

With my hindsight vision enabled, personally I would have basically done very little to halt COVID in the UK. I have now come to realise that the old people for whom we burned through £400bn to save the lives are bunch of ungrateful bastards and will continue to screw every last penny out of working age people until they die. If a few hundred thousand extra had snuffed it then it would have solved the care crisis, the NHS crisis, pensions overhang and freed up hundreds of thousands of homes for working age people, and we wouldn't have spent £400bn to keep them alive. My generation and my daughter's generation wouldn't be facing decades of high taxes for it and we'd have a lot of fiscal headroom.

If they weren't so ungrateful I'd maybe feel differently about it, but all I see is the old wankers we ruined two years of our lives for, spend £400bn on saving rinse generations below them for all we're worth so they can live forever with their hands in our pockets.

If your life was 'ruined' by the Covid rules for two years, then I'd argue it might be a problem with your 'life'. The Covid restrictions were sh*t, but there was still lots to do. True, it might not be quite what you would ordinarily do, but there was still stuff to do. Heck, I had a five/six-year old to homeschool, and I don't appear to have found it as a challenging as you.

And if it saved a few hundred thousand people (not just oldies either), then fair enough. Especially for the first lockdown, where we were unsure what the heck we were facing. Sometimes you just have to knuckle down and get on with things.

I really don't understand how you can say your life was 'ruined'. And before you say, I like going out. I like doing things. I like visiting places. But when I could not do these, I adapted. I even found some new things I enjoyed.
    I'm actually quite an insular person. My favourite hobbies are things like knitting and walking, which weren't affected by lockdown. I expected to sail through it. There were a few jokes along the lines of, "this is what we've been training for."

But it really was monumentally awful. I find it so much harder to leave the house at all now. And I was lucky in where I spent my lockdowns and with whom. I don't think it does to underestimate the sacrifice made.

And then there really should be a quid pro quo for such sacrifices, given the age profile of who the disease killed. But Max is right. Not only did the young give up their freedom to save the old, they're now being expected to pay for the privilege.

I don't go as far as Max and day that I'd kill all the old if I had my time in the pandemic over again. But I can't disagree that the old are talking the piss.
    I'm sorry you went through that, but my argument is with use of the word 'ruined'. The people whose lives were ruined were those who died, or who lost loved ones. Max, you and I still have our lives.

As an aside, we were blooming lucky during this pandemic in one regard: it did not affect the young as much. Imagine how much more hideous it would have been if the ambulances had been filled with people under 18, rather than those over 50.
    Utter bollocks.

Deaths are natural, especially deaths of the sick, infirm and old which is who Covid targetted.

There are fates worse than death. There are actions worse than death.

Covid restrictions like closing schools harmed the education of children, many of them will never get the opportunity to get that back.

I'm lucky my children were young. Lockdown measures greatly restricted their education, but they've got a chance to catch that up. I've been working hard with my girls, as have their school, to catch up on the disruption but many don't have that opportunity. Disrupted education could be affecting people's lives for the rest of their life, for decades to come. Some people will live with that for the next seventy or eighty years.

That is far worse than someone in their 80s or 90s reaching the end of their natural life, from natural causes, which is what Covid is.

If we'd allowed Covid to take its course and put £400bn into education etc instead of keeping the extremely old and vulnerable alive a little bit longer while closing schools, then the country would be far better off for it. Harsh but true.
    I would argue that your position lacks compassion, humanity and even common sense.

You are utterly wrong on this, but I doubt I will convince you, or you will convince me. ;)
    I would argue that I have more compassion for children and their future than I do for those in their 80s and 90s who have lived their lives to the full anyway already.

I think that is the common sense and humane position too.

Fucking over children in order to help those who have already lived their lives, is not common sense, and it is not humane.
    As I said, lacking compassion, humanity and common sense.

I need to caveat this a little. My own view is that the March 2020 lockdown was utterly necessary. We knew very little about how this little bu**er acted, how we could protect ourselves, and what its long-term consequences were.

The lockdowns up to and including January 2021 were also probably justified. We knew more about the virus, but not enough vaccine doses had been given to justify relaxing them. We can argue about them. And Starmer was utterly wrong for wanting more restrictions late last year. But IMV the March 2020 one was utterly unavoidable.

Now, why do I think your position lacks common sense? Because even before the lockdown on March 23rd 2020, people were locking themselves down. Many companies had already started WfH. Without 'official' lockdowns, and more would have rapidly happened. And it would have been utterly disorganised and potentially much more harmful to the economy.

Worse, kids would have been affected. We all would have been affected. If the hospitals were swamped with Covid patients (not just the oldies you hate) and you - or your children - got ill, then you may not get the help you need. The health service would have broken down. You would be gambling that no-one you loved would get ill.

The only 'solution' to this would have been quite evil: to reduce the strain on the NHS by not treating oldies.
    I've read his comments and I don't agree that they're lacking in compassion, humanity and common sense.
    Fair enough. I guess you're not old, or don't expect to get old?
    Why do only old people matter?

Why don't young people matter?

I would jump in front of a bus to save my children. Instead we threw our children under the bus to "save" those at the end of their life, from natural deaths.
    Who said only old people matter? Who said young people do not matter? Young people got sick with Covid as well. In March 2020 we had zero idea what the long-term consequences of the disease were going to be. And as I've pointed out, there were plenty of ways in which young people could become ill and suffer under your brave new word.

Here is another one: my parents did not die. Because of that, my son has had them for a couple of years longer than might be the case. He is forming memories with them, which would not have happened if they had become ill and died. If they had died, he would have been absolutely devastated.
    Screwing schools over for two years, not one term, said that young people don't matter.

Loading £400bn of debt onto our children's shoulders said that young people don't matter.

Sweden did the right thing without having lockdown. We screwed up. I made a mistake supporting what we did, for that I apologise.
    Sweden did not do the right thing at all. In comparison to its similar neighbours - Finland and Norway - it had a disastrously bad pandemic. If we had followed the Swedish example it would have been catastrophic.
    The notion Sweden had a bad pandemic depends upon what you choose to measure.

Based on what I choose to measure, Sweden had a far better pandemic than its neighbours.
    Well you are happy killing off large numbers of people just to maintain your standard of living so I hardly think your view can be taken as a balanced one.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Barcelona seem to have taken a leaf out of that ladies book...£1bn in debt, no problemo, keep on spending. Sell a portion of your tv rights for a £200m, immediately spend the money.

Yesterday resigning Dembele, today signing Raphinha for £55m.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    dixiedean said:

algarkirk said:

4 is most likely a teaching assistant. Minimum wage term time only.
    Or supply, perhaps?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cameron Smith -13 after 33 holes.....
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,545
    PaulSimon said:

I would assume there are some supply constraints, particularly if they’re trying to respond to new variants.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

Leon said:

DOGS ON THE MOON

BBC News

In Seattle just after 911, military wanted to use Seattle Public Utilities watershed for training. Claiming "military necessity".

Response: no problem PROVIDED the Department of Defense was willing to pay a LOT of money to fund water treatment system. Which was NOT required IF the watershed was out-of-bounds for 99.46% of human activity, that is everything except monitoring of water quality.

So as explanation for creating forest fire, think "military necessity" is so much (cavalry?) horse shit.
    I think we were probably training Ukrainians to kill Russians, which sounds necessary to me.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I always thought parking meters were absolute bastards but not racist
  • Options
    JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Have you any evidence that it wasn’t?
    One of the sliding glass doors in a building in Canary Wharf with an autodetect sensor was/is provably racist - it opened for me and a number of other white guys, but refused to move for an Indian friend.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Don't follow leaders
    Watch your parking meters.

Sound advice it seems.
    Dylan of course. Meaning don't fall for the rhetoric, keep your feet on the ground and be practical/realistic.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    edited July 2022
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Personally I think we should either

i. Leave the ECHR (YEs yes I know it's not part of the EU)
    or
    ii. Join the Euro.

Perhaps do both :D not sure that'd be allowed by the powers that be though...

Not sure where you get your boner for the Euro from?

Surely, the 2010-2011 eurozone crisis, and flat-footedness of the ECB since, has shown why that'd have been a bad idea for us.

It'd be a huge extra economic constraint for the removal of some marginal trade frictions. True, it would give us more political influence (as we'd be signed up to the whole thing) but that'd be far from decisive and only in one direction.

If the whole thing ever fell over, and it often looks very shaky, then we'd be horribly exposed.
    By "extra economic constraint" do you really mean "one fewer thing for the government to fuck up"?
    Not really, the BoE couldn't set interest rates or do quantitative easing in future, so that would certainly be a constraint. So would the ability of sterling to act as an automatic stabiliser in responding to economic shocks. Instead, employment in the economy at large would have to take it instead.

And, it's effectively irreversible - a decision to join could only be taken once.

I'd never vote for it, even with a gun to my head.
    If the choice was actual death or Euro membership, I would hold my nose and go with Euro membership. Not least because Euro membership can almost certainly be undone, while death cannot.
    Sigh.

Don't you remember the old, old saying: nothing in life is certain except death, taxes and continued Euro membership?

Ask Greece.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

I always thought parking meters were absolute bastards but not racist
    I don't know any that have gone to any kind of unconscious bias training, so I'm afraid I take a guilty until proven innocent stance here.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:
    That article suffers a bit from the Grauniad's old problem. "It was caught on his body-worn video."

To be serious for a minute, from what I've read the body cameras have changed policing. They both protect the police from the public, and the public from the police.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Spoke to work and they're happy for people to bring family members in on Monday and Tuesday to hang out in our lovely AC office space. My wife and daughter are set to Uber their way in at 10ish and we're setting up a few meeting rooms that already have sofas and TVs for family members who are escaping the heat.

I think I'm very lucky to have an employer who cares about it's people so much because they could easily have said no, but instead they've allocated a bunch of meeting rooms and given us from 8am to 10am to organise them for people to hang out in.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,882
    MaxPB said:

Spoke to work and they're happy for people to bring family members in on Monday and Tuesday to hang out in our lovely AC office space. My wife and daughter are set to Uber their way in at 10ish and we're setting up a few meeting rooms that already have sofas and TVs for family members who are escaping the heat.

I think I'm very lucky to have an employer who cares about it's people so much because they could easily have said no, but instead they've allocated a bunch of meeting rooms and given us from 8am to 10am to organise them for people to hang out in.

Our air-con freaks out when we get over 20c. Might have to bring jumpers next week.
  • Options
    I don't agree that debt is always bad.

For example, buying with a credit card gives you infinitely more protection via Section 75 than a debit card.
  • Options
    And...?

It's trad that Balthasar was black. I have slept 6 to a bed with perfect strangers in Pyrenean mountain huts. Not taking your crown off to go to bed is the only noteworthy thing I am seeing there
  • Options

For example, buying with a credit card gives you infinitely more protection via Section 75 than a debit card.

Yes and no. You don't have to incur debt to use a credit card, you can treat it like a charge card, and some organisations treat debit cards as if s 75 applied to them
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

And...?

It's trad that Balthasar was black. I have slept 6 to a bed with perfect strangers in Pyrenean mountain huts. Not taking your crown off to go to bed is the only noteworthy thing I am seeing there
    Come on, lighten up. It's *funny*.
  • Options

Leon said:

DOGS ON THE MOON

BBC News

I think we were probably training Ukrainians to kill Russians, which sounds necessary to me.
    Perhaps. But color me skeptical, as even if so, is incompetence re: to fire (old-fashioned kind) also a military necessity?

Don't Russians have a BIG (or is it keen) edge on THAT front?
  • Options

dixiedean said:
    That article suffers a bit from the Grauniad's old problem. "It was caught on his body-worn video."

To be serious for a minute, from what I've read the body cameras have changed policing. They both protect the police from the public, and the public from the police.
    Your point being?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Your point being?
    Body-worn cameras are a good thing IMO. They help police disprove false accusations against them ("the officer hit me!), and also help prove when officers do something wrong, meaning they are less likely to do something idiotic like hitting a suspect.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

The entirety of capitalism is predicated on the idea of debt being good. Anyone who thinks it's evil is a Communist or a Muslim.
  • Options
    I hope (and hopefully predict) that Kemi’s ratings will improve after tonight’s debate, both among fellow MPs and Conservative members.

I still don’t expect her to get close to winning, but the closer she gets the better
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,887

The German word for debt is the same as the German word for Guilt
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

In English we have that same linguistic undercurrent. Debt and sins are "forgiven".
  • Options
    edited July 2022

dixiedean said:

Your point being?
    Body-worn cameras are a good thing IMO. They help police disprove false accusations against them ("the officer hit me!), and also help prove when officers do something wrong, meaning they are less likely to do something idiotic like hitting a suspect.
    Agree totally. By why the kick at Guardian, in this instance?

Would be interesting to see know (and analyze) how many instances there actually are, both ways.

Some issues with cops turning their body cams OFF or the cams malfunctioning, sometime on purpose.

Similar to highly untimely erasure of key US Secret Service messages re: January 2021, AFTER the Inspector General of Homeland Security requested them for his official investigation.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I don’t get the issue.

*in the sales
    Did you get your fraction the wrong way round, or do you really spend 3000 pounds on a pair of decent shoes?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

In fact, looking more into it, the English "guilt" and "yield" both stem from Old English "gieldan". Yield, of course, being the other side of the debt coin, the repayment received.
  • Options
    Wealth has grown from 3x to 8x national GDP since the 1980s, but wealth taxes haven’t moved.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

it almost is in English - civil liability and criminal liability

See also wergild. The gild element is presumably gold, but it looks bloody close to guilt as well.
  • Options

I hope (and hopefully predict) that Kemi’s ratings will improve after tonight’s debate, both among fellow MPs and Conservative members.

I still don’t expect her to get close to winning, but the closer she gets the better

Bad'enoch's debate performance(s) will indeed be interesting.

BUT likely less significant than how well (or not) Sunak, Mordaunt and Truss make out (not THAT way!)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Your point being?
    I think his point is that cameras can be worn, but not videos.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Your point being?
    Agree totally. By why the kick at Guardian, in this instance?

(Snip)
    What's a 'body worn video.' ? I think they must have left the word 'camera' off the end of the sentence, both in the main text and the picture caption.

Yep, there will be issues with police trying to cheat the system. But if that happens, and a suspect accuses them of something, it sort-of makes them look a little bit more guilty, doesn't it?
  • Options
    “Having almost caught up with the economies of France and Germany from the 1990s to the mid-2000s, the UK’s productivity gap with them has almost tripled since 2008 from 6 per cent to 16 per cent…

…weak growth is the reason real wages saw no growth over ten years in the 2010s, having grown by an average of 33 per cent a decade from 1970 to 2007.”
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

IshmaelZ said:

I don’t get the issue.

*in the sales
    Did you get your fraction the wrong way round, or do you really spend 3000 pounds on a pair of decent shoes?
    I think TSE once allowed one of the minor servants to purchase a pair of shoes that cheap.

It was a charity shop, admittedly, for a good cause. But still.....
This discussion has been closed.