Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Tories could be in for a tough time on May 5th – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,238
    The Kazakhs are out.

https://twitter.com/b_nishanov/status/1509913543507947526
    “Russia wants us to support them but we don’t recognize Crimea, or Donbas. Yes, we are in a union with Russia but it doesn’t apply to this situation. We won’t help Russia avoid US and EU sanctions.” - Deputy chair of the presidential administration in Kazakhstan. This is huge.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,872
    Leon said:

A phenomenally hard WORLDLE today

I got it tho. On the last go. A total desperate stab in the dark. Ooof

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr/

Again, NCAYWS
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    13th Floor Elevators. If you like the Doors.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,199

COVID Summary

Perhaps the last for the mass testing era.....

Cases - DOWN. R is below 1. We should see this feeding through in the ONS numbers, soon, we hope.
    In Hospital - UP
    Admissions - UP. R stable at 1.1 or so
    MV beds - UP
    Deaths - UP

Not sure we need daily updates anymore, they only serve to negatively affect the mental health of the nation. Most people are trying to move on. A daily scoreboard hardly helps with that aim.
    I'm happy with daily updates. The government's advice on Covid seems a bit mixed. Rather than self-isolate after a positive test, we are now urged, though not compelled, to stay at home with any Covid-like symptoms, which in practice means any cold symptoms. That sounds like a larger group.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,662

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS
    Come again?

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS
    Generally, no. Prolly best I PM you daily rather than clutter up the site.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,312
    edited April 2022
    Foxy said:

COVID Summary

Cases - DOWN. R is below 1. We should see this feeding through in the ONS numbers, soon, we hope.
    In Hospital - UP
    MV beds - UP
    Deaths - UP

Case data from testing is meaningless now. I note the ONS had last week at over 5 million cases across the nation.
    Yes, if I'm anything to go by, reporting is now pretty sporadic. I reported the positive finding when I caught the bug (and was urged to self-isolate for 10 days, as I'm doing), didn't bother to report continued positives over the following days, but reported the negative one today (hooray). I wasn't being prodded to report progress and didn't think it would add much useful info - and I'm generally a rule-following type.

What's the current accepted wisdom on whether having just had the bug protects you against getting it again? My impression is "a bit", but any more concrete info would be helpful.

A curiosity in the first few days was obsessive half-asleep sense of urgent tasks - on the first night, I convinced myself that I needed to mediate in Ukraine before going to sleep; on the second night, to solve a complicated dday job task. I'm told this is a fairly common symptom, though I've not heard about it before.

I suppose if Covid were a software developer, it'd say "It's a feature, not a bug..."
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    pigeon said:

Foxy said:

COVID Summary

In Hospital - UP
    MV beds - UP
    Deaths - UP

Case data from testing is meaningless now. I note the ONS had last week at over 5 million cases across the nation.
    One wonders how long cases can keep rolling along at ridiculous levels like 1 in 12. At that rate, in crude terms, if nobody had ever had the wretched disease we could still all catch it in three months - but clearly a very large fraction of the populace already has, and I'd be astonished if a significant percentage were being reinfected on a monthly basis.
    Reinfections are running at 10% iirc. But that is based on the case figure not the ons data.
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS
    NCAYWS gets literally zero Google hits (of any significance)

Has PB developed a new slang…. And I missed out??

*sad face*
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    IshmaelZ said:

"CorrectHorseBattery"Calling Starmer Ed 2.0 has to be one of the laziest criticisms .

I agree Ed was pretty poor but at least he offered alternative ideas when he was leader. Starmer hasn't really done that. Ed was also wise enough not to give David Lammy a senior shadow cabinet position. Cmpared to Starmer Ed was a giant.

Lammy has been consistently making sense ever since, I have to keep reminding myself of Marie Antoinette as the discoverer of radium

speaking of which, if Putin has thyroid cancer it's quite possible he is having radioactive iodine therapy in which case it's very likely he is on corticosteroids for side effects, hence the moon face
    Lammy is a changed man. He was once basically laughing stock, but he's far from that now. Well done David Lammy!

Time and wind have conspired to make him look a little haggered though. Maybe he can translate that to statesman-like.
    Leon said:

#Worldle #70 2/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↗️
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
    https://worldle.teuteuf.fr

You need to travel more.
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*
    Nobody cares about your wor[l]dle score
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

#Worldle #70 2/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↗️
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

You need to travel more.
    Seriously? 2nd go??

That’s bloody impressive. Chapeau

Especially as it isn’t classically you-know-what

Foxy said:

COVID Summary

In Hospital - UP
    MV beds - UP
    Deaths - UP

Yes, if I'm anything to go by, reporting is now pretty sporadic. I reported the positive finding when I caught the bug (and was urged to self-isolate for 10 days, as I'm doing), didn't bother to report continued positives over the following days, but reported the negative one today (hooray). I wasn't being prodded to report progress and didn't think it would add much useful info - and I'm generally a rule-following type.

What's the current accepted wisdom on whether having just had the bug protects you against getting it again? My impression is "a bit", but any more concrete info would be helpful.

A curiosity in the first few days was obsessive half-asleep sense of urgent tasks - on the first night, I convinced myself that I needed to mediate in Ukraine before going to sleep; on the second night, to solve a complicated dday job task. I'm told this is a fairly common symptom, though I've not heard about it before.

I suppose if Covid were a software developer, it'd say "It's a feature, not a bug..."
    28 days protection is the current advice. At least that is how long you shouldn't test for.
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*
    Ah. But that’s wrong, Alistair cared, or at least he cared enough to belittle me with a much better score. I’ll take that

Foxy said:

COVID Summary

In Hospital - UP
    MV beds - UP
    Deaths - UP

While I don’t doubt that there is a lot of it about, I getting a bit suspicious of the ons data. Specifically they are 5 million who would test positive, not 5 million who would be unwell. And as they are using Pcr on random people, how much asymptomatic and recovered people are included in these 5 million? We’ve been specifically warned about using PCR after infection for a decent period, yet are the ons excluding such people?
    I had a great chat with a pharmacist colleague who works at one of the Bristol hospitals. Very illuminating. Most interesting was her description of the first wave, where she led a team in icu. Although it was grim, it was also a great time of unity against one issue, with everyone pulling together. Now the problem is people off sick, the nhs trying to do its job again for all patients and the staff just being knackered. She said that the anti virals have been game changers for keeping the vulnerable out of hospital.

My guess is that cases will crash soon, and the pressures will ease, but by god the hospitals need a break.
    Yes. It seems to have been the case for a long time now that the prolonged isolation with covid is worse in aggregate than the virus itself.

Cases look to be dropping like a stone now but we should no more celebrate this than we should catastrophise when they are rising.

It needs to become background noise, like colds or flu. For many people it is already, but a substantial minority of the population remain preoccupied with covid in a way they are not with other bugs.
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

"CorrectHorseBattery"Calling Starmer Ed 2.0 has to be one of the laziest criticisms .

I agree Ed was pretty poor but at least he offered alternative ideas when he was leader. Starmer hasn't really done that. Ed was also wise enough not to give David Lammy a senior shadow cabinet position. Cmpared to Starmer Ed was a giant.

Lammy has been consistently making sense ever since, I have to keep reminding myself of Marie Antoinette as the discoverer of radium

speaking of which, if Putin has thyroid cancer it's quite possible he is having radioactive iodine therapy in which case it's very likely he is on corticosteroids for side effects, hence the moon face
    Lammy is a changed man. He was once basically laughing stock, but he's far from that now. Well done David Lammy!

Time and wind have conspired to make him look a little haggered though. Maybe he can translate that to statesman-like.
    Can't help wondering if the man has some characteristic which makes it important to the gammonry that he should continue to fail.

Never seen a photo, mind, so can't address your "haggard" point.
    edited April 2022
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

#Worldle #70 2/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↗️
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

You need to travel more.
    Seriously? 2nd go??

Basically my main strategy is to guess somewhere in central africa as my opener.

(except when it was greece because greece is bloody obvious)
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*
    Ah. But that’s wrong, Alistair cared, or at least he cared enough to belittle me with a much better score. I’ll take that
    When you complete a cryptic crossword do you wave it around for all to see then go on the internet to brag about it?
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

#Worldle #70 2/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↗️
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

You need to travel more.
    Seriously? 2nd go??

Basically my main strategy is to guess somewhere in central africa as my opener.

Africa and the Pacific islands are my downfall

So many weird little countries in West Africa….

My finest achievement was getting Diego Garcia on the first go. It helped that it was in the news so I’d seen the map about 3 days before. But still

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*
    When you complete a cryptic crossword do you wave it around for all to see then go on the internet to brag about it?
    Me, I facebook a photo when I've had a really good dump. What are you, some kind of technophobe?
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Wordle 286 3/6*

🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
    🟩🟨🟨🟨⬜
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not of general interest I accept, but @Anabobazina likes to be kept abreast of my progress

I was also a 3, which was helped by my first two words being (as it normally the case) 'print' and 'mouse'.
    I feel like a failure confronted with your prowess:

Wordle 286 4/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
    ⬜🟨⬜🟨🟩
    🟩⬜🟩⬜🟩
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I honorably used neither print nor mouse as a first word, and I have 'hard' selected, so I can't do my two usual teary/louis start.
    I am reminded how incredibly friendly Turkish people are. They really are. Good natured and warm, without overdoing it. Smiley.

How have they ended up with a vulgar thug like Erdogan in charge?
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Can't help wondering if the man has some characteristic which makes it important to the gammonry that he should continue to fail.

Could we just end this pointless squabble?

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*
    I would. I'm pretty pleased when i can het more than 1 clue.

COVID Summary

In Hospital - UP
    MV beds - UP
    Deaths - UP

Not sure we need daily updates anymore, they only serve to negatively affect the mental health of the nation. Most people are trying to move on. A daily scoreboard hardly helps with that aim.
    I'm happy with daily updates. The government's advice on Covid seems a bit mixed. Rather than self-isolate after a positive test, we are now urged, though not compelled, to stay at home with any Covid-like symptoms, which in practice means any cold symptoms. That sounds like a larger group.
    Would you advocate daily updates for influenza, the common cold, and norovirus? Sadly, did such updates exist, many millions would make themselves sick with worry about those, too.
    Leon said:

Five hours delay at a Turkish airport due to check-in meltdown. Not recommended

My Azerbaijan trip is finally on for the 14th. And I have the Ukrainians to thank for there being no threat of a Russian invasion there while I'm in-country. Although the Azeris might seek to do something against the Armenians while the Russians are distracted.
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Could we just end this pointless squabble?
    WTF is squabbly about that? I thought I was agreeing with you
    edited April 2022
    Nigelb said:

The Kazakhs are out.

“Russia wants us to support them but we don’t recognize Crimea, or Donbas. Yes, we are in a union with Russia but it doesn’t apply to this situation. We won’t help Russia avoid US and EU sanctions.” - Deputy chair of the presidential administration in Kazakhstan. This is huge.

As are the Georgians, at last.

https://tass.com/world/1430685?utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com

Putin, the master strategist, winning on all fronts:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/07/georgia-expedites-eu-application-in-policy-u-turn-russia-ukraine
  • David Lammy is very decent now.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,090
    Nigelb said:

The Kazakhs are out.

That man would have been shot several months ago but for Russian soldiers.

If Putin is losing Kazakhstan, Russia is really in trouble.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,080

Foxy said:

COVID Summary

In Hospital - UP
    MV beds - UP
    Deaths - UP

You will be unlucky to get the same strain again. Sadly we’ve had the initial omicron wave which was able to reinfect a lot of people who’d had original, alpha or delta, and the BA2 which does the same and also original omicron. There are people who’ve had two or three bouts in the last six months. Going forward it’s likely that we will all retain significant protection against serious illness, but reinfections are going to be common. I think it likely that there will be an autumn booster campaign, almost certainly tweaked to account for at least some of the current variants. Remember that the current vaccines are all still original Covid flavour.
    edited April 2022

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*
    I’ve still got three hours 20 minutes til my (totally fucked up) internal Turkish flight. So, yeah, I probably would, right now

I tried to read THE DAWN OF EVERYTHING that much praised early human history, but no one told me it was quasi-Marxist drivel, full of howling errors, and written in the most cringeworthy *first person plural* style

Appalling nonsense. So here I am on PB. Soz boz apolibobs
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,052
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Time and WIND?

Do you mean his own or that which he has had to weather?
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*
    Me, I facebook a photo when I've had a really good dump. What are you, some kind of technophobe?
    Clearly.
    TimT said:

Leon said:

My Azerbaijan trip is finally on for the 14th. And I have the Ukrainians to thank for there being no threat of a Russian invasion there while I'm in-country. Although the Azeris might seek to do something against the Armenians while the Russians are distracted.

Enjoy. I’m tempted to cross the Iraqi border later this week. Maybe go to Erbil. Just to say “I’ve been to Iraq”

I have a friend working their *in special circumstances*. He has the most incredible job: hunting down art thieves and traffickers around the world. Stupidly glamorous and exciting. And well paid. Ex Territorial SAS
    kinabalu said:

Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Time and WIND?

Do you mean his own or that which he has had to weather?
    I think I may have meant 'time and tide'. However I'm laughing, and that's fine!
    Anyway.

Had a corking day at an event in town yesterday. Hundreds there. No masking (well okay I saw two masks all day, amid the multitude) then off to a busy bar then a busy restaurant. No masks on the Tube or bus. It’s like covid never happened in London - assume (outside Godalming) it’s like that in other towns and cities?
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,002
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

The Kazakhs are out.

https://tass.com/world/1430685?utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/07/georgia-expedites-eu-application-in-policy-u-turn-russia-ukraine
    The chances of the Georgians being pro-Russian is approximately zero. I guess they now feel more confident piling in with sanctions and have worked out the Russians aren't a threat.

Anyway.

Had a corking day at an event in town yesterday. Hundreds there. No masking (well okay I saw two masks all day, amid the multitude) then off to a busy bar then a busy restaurant. No masks on the Tube or bus. It’s like covid never happened in London - assume (outside Godalming) it’s like that in other towns and cities?

London is absolutely bustling at the mo. Full of verve and excited young people

The summer should be amazing if it isn’t fucked up by war/plague/famine/global poverty/Armageddon
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Enjoy. I’m tempted to cross the Iraqi border later this week. Maybe go to Erbil. Just to say “I’ve been to Iraq”

I have a friend working their *in special circumstances*. He has the most incredible job: hunting down art thieves and traffickers around the world. Stupidly glamorous and exciting. And well paid. Ex Territorial SAS
    Flew in once, literally under the radar, from Turkey (Diyarbakir) to Zakho and thence by road to Dohuk. Not sure what was the scariest - flying into Iraq without permissions, finding the UN mission closed, sandbagged and surrounded by razor wire, the drive to Dohuk unaccompanied and unarmed, or just the driving of our driver. Scratch that, I am sure. It was the driving ...

Anyway.

Unusual to see masks in Cannock and generally only among older people.
  • Scotland Yard has issued the first fixed penalty notices for breaches of lockdown rules to officials who attended a “raucous” Cabinet Office leaving party.

The fines have been issued by email to 20 people, many of whom attended a gathering to mark the departure of Hannah Young, a home affairs policy adviser. It was held on June 18, 2020, a fortnight before the first broad easing of lockdown rules. Lord Sedwill, who was head of the civil service, briefly attended the gathering but was not fined, The Times has been told.

The event is one of 12 subject to police investigation. One government source described it as “raucous” but it is thought to be one of the less significant breaches of lockdown laws, fuelling concern in Whitehall that the number of fines could be far higher than expected. Scotland Yard has issued more than 100 questionnaires.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/whitehall-staff-fined-over-lockdown-party-6zkd8vsqh
    ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Still about 50/50 in Montgomery Count, Maryland.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810

Alternatively.....

Just before the local elections, Boris is riding around Kyiv with Zelensky on a captured Russian tank, half a dozen Ukranians with NLAWS beside them. Zelensky says to the camera "We could not have done it without this guy. What a dude..."

And a bunch of people go "You know what...he's a clown. But he's a clown who got the biggest call in decades right. When Germany and France were telling Ukraine they should throw in the towel, Boris said f*ck that - have our latest weapons to fight for freedom...."

A month is a monstrous long time in politics....

Total fantasy, even brain dead morons are not that stupid
    ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Love nick and a lot of time for him, but was it him who lied about his canvassing in 2019 to cheer himself up or something? Is he telling porkies about Godalming mask wearing too?
    Apologies @NickPalmer if I have that wrong, just can’t square your reports with almost everywhere else.
    edited April 2022
    malcolmg said:

Alternatively.....

Just before the local elections, Boris is riding around Kyiv with Zelensky on a captured Russian tank, half a dozen Ukranians with NLAWS beside them. Zelensky says to the camera "We could not have done it without this guy. What a dude..."

And a bunch of people go "You know what...he's a clown. But he's a clown who got the biggest call in decades right. When Germany and France were telling Ukraine they should throw in the towel, Boris said f*ck that - have our latest weapons to fight for freedom...."

A month is a monstrous long time in politics....

Total fantasy, even brain dead morons are not that stupid
    And the past is heavily discounted in politics. (Smuts, Churchill, Bush Sr. ...)
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Long way East, when "I've been to Syria" is probably at least as cool as Iraq atm.

A friend of mine went solo to Diyarbakir and said being a lone western female there was by a long way the most frightening thing ever to happen to her. Just for info.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191
    edited April 2022

Foxy said:

COVID Summary

In Hospital - UP
    MV beds - UP
    Deaths - UP

They’d be more worrying symptoms in people for whom that wasn’t a normal afternoon.
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Long way East, when "I've been to Syria" is probably at least as cool as Iraq atm.

A friend of mine went solo to Diyarbakir and said being a lone western female there was by a long way the most frightening thing ever to happen to her. Just for info.
    I am going to Diyarbakir

I have already been to Syria

3 weeks all around the country, It was the most marvellous place. Aleppo was a jewel. Krak des Chevaliers. Palmyra!!!!

ISIS and the war have destroyed one of the greatest destinations on earth. So awful
    edited April 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I can confirm, Diyarbakir at night is no place for a lone Westerner, let alone a lone Western female.

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Love nick and a lot of time for him, but was it him who lied about his canvassing in 2019 to cheer himself up or something? Is he telling porkies about Godalming mask wearing too?
    Apologies @NickPalmer if I have that wrong, just can’t square your reports with almost everywhere else.
    What’s the lying about canvassing reference? I don’t know anything about that.

His accounts of masking In Godalming are barely believable— but it is a very sleepy conservative sort of place. Has a Christian Science library. Anything is possible.
    TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I can confirm, Diyarbakir at night is no place for a lone Westerner, let alone a lone Western female.
    Really? I’ve been to a few Kurdish-Turkish cities and never felt threatened, ever (but I have not been to Diyarbakir)

Is Diyarbakir uniquely grim, for some reason?

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

His accounts of masking In Godalming are barely believable— but it is a very sleepy conservative sort of place. Has a Christian Science library. Anything is possible.
    One of the labour posters kept saying how it was close on the doorsteps, when in reality it wasn’t, and they knew it. May not have been @NickPalmer.
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I am going to Diyarbakir

3 weeks all around the country, It was the most marvellous place. Aleppo was a jewel. Krak des Chevaliers. Palmyra!!!!

ISIS and the war have destroyed one of the greatest destinations on earth. So awful
    Stayed a week with the Archbishop of Suwayda back in 1982. It boasted the biggest free-standing Roman amphitheatre in the world, and all the main drag, the houses and shops were built with looted Roman columns and friezes. So cool.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,199

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Masks were at about 70 per cent in Sainsbury's last Wednesday but I was the only one masked in the fish and chip shop (admittedly from a sample of three). What was odd was one middle-aged couple where the woman was masked but the man was not.

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Masks were at about 70 per cent in Sainsbury's last Wednesday but I was the only one masked in the fish and chip shop (admittedly from a sample of three). What was odd was one middle-aged couple where the woman was masked but the man was not.
    I don’t that last one is that odd - my wife is still wearing a mask in shops and I am not. We’d count as middle aged.

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

One of the labour posters kept saying how it was close on the doorsteps, when in reality it wasn’t, and they knew it. May not have been @NickPalmer.
    Ah, okay. I simply cannot imagine being so partisan that I would make up stories but several PBers are, regrettably.

Re: masking. I have only worn one once, for 20 minutes, in the last two months. This was because I was invited to the doctor’s surgery for a general check up and the lady on the phone asked me to bring one. I found one buried in the cupboard.
    Leon said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Really? I’ve been to a few Kurdish-Turkish cities and never felt threatened, ever (but I have not been to Diyarbakir)

Don't really know. I was there one night. We arrived after dark, the streets were deserted and we were warned not to leave the hotel. I have travelled to all sorts of places, and generally disregard grim warnings from Western officials. But this one just felt deserved.

Everyone we met looked grim, as did the entire town.

That was in 1994, and I believe the Turks had just completed one of their more crushing campaigns against Kurds and particularly small Kurdish villages.

Perhaps it is different now.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,044
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

The Kazakhs are out.

To be fair it has been clear from the start that Kazakhstan weren't going to get involved. They made it clear that they wouldn't send troops. How could the president afford to? Same with Lukashenko.

I've been wondering what the economic output figures were for the Soviet Union. Something like:

Russia 65%
    Ukraine 18%
    Kazakhstan 4%

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Why is that odd, particularly? Married people are (or should be) capable of independent thought.
    70% In Sainsburys? Where?

Nothing like that down here. I don’t recognise that at all.

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Ah, okay. I simply cannot imagine being so partisan that I would make up stories but several PBers are, regrettably.

Re: masking. I have only worn one once, for 20 minutes, in the last two months. This was because I was invited to the doctor’s surgery for a general check up and the lady on the phone asked me to bring one. I found one buried in the cupboard.
    Sadly our uni has kept them for busy environments and I’ve had a lot of lab classes in the last 5 weeks. Up to 6 hours a day.
    The uni is supposed to be reviewing at the holidays, but no one is sure if that is Easter (one week away) or summer (9 weeks at least). Very little proper logic has been applied. I note that Oxford has dropped all mask requirements.
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Don't really know. I was there one night. We arrived after dark, the streets were deserted and we were warned not to leave the hotel. I have travelled to all sorts of places, and generally disregard grim warnings from Western officials. But this one just felt deserved.

That was in 1994, and I believe the Turks had just completed one of their more crushing campaigns against Kurds and particularly small Kurdish villages.

That’s quite a long time ago. Kurdistan is always restive but the violence comes and goes. Hmm

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Sadly our uni has kept them for busy environments and I’ve had a lot of lab classes in the last 5 weeks. Up to 6 hours a day.
    The uni is supposed to be reviewing at the holidays, but no one is sure if that is Easter (one week away) or summer (9 weeks at least). Very little proper logic has been applied. I note that Oxford has dropped all mask requirements.
    I find it totally bizarre that some universities have retained them when they are no longer required (and rarely worn) in schools, shops, pubs, restaurants, buses, tubes or trains. It’s irrational: what exactly is the point?
  • TazTaz Posts: 11,017
    Leon said:

You’re kidding. I got it first go.
    Leon said:

Anyway.

London is absolutely bustling at the mo. Full of verve and excited young people

The summer should be amazing if it isn’t fucked up by war/plague/famine/global poverty/Armageddon
    Or by a creeping sense of gloom that Boris Johnson is still PM.
    Alistair said:

Leon said:

#Worldle #70 2/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↗️
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

You need to travel more.
    #Worldle #70 1/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

The Kazakhs are out.

To be fair it has been clear from the start that Kazakhstan weren't going to get involved. They made it clear that they wouldn't send troops. How could the president afford to? Same with Lukashenko.

I've been wondering what the economic output figures were for the Soviet Union. Something like:

Russia 65%
    Ukraine 18%
    Kazakhstan 4%
    I don't have the figures to hand but given the petrochemical resources of Kazakhstan that seems a bit unlikely.
    Taz said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

#Worldle #70 2/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↗️
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

You need to travel more.
    #Worldle #70 1/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
    Back to school for you. It took me zero goes to get it.
    Taz said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

#Worldle #70 2/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↗️
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

You need to travel more.
    #Worldle #70 1/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
    I feel quite pathetic
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

That’s quite a long time ago. Kurdistan is always restive but the violence comes and goes. Hmm
    Let us know what it is like now. I'd be very interested if it is a bustling and friendly place.
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I am going to Diyarbakir

ISIS was to Syria what thatcher was to working class northern communities.
    edited April 2022
    TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Let us know what it is like now. I'd be very interested if it is a bustling and friendly place.
    It’s still on the FCO “essential travel only” list but they are famously cautious. I see Sweden has just lifted its advisory against travel there

Maybe I’ll go to cappadoccia instead. Never been there either.

Internal flights in Turkey are madly cheap right now. You can cross the entire county - and it’s big - for £40
    Perhaps he'll suddenly realize he's passionate about resigning.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,312
    edited April 2022

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

No, I don't make stuff up, though like all politicians I can do spin. I'm mildly in favour of caution but certainly not to the extent of inventing reports of masks in one random shop on a blog - what would I get out of it? I think it's just patchy, and if people see a lot of masks they put one on, and if they don't they don't. I've not been in a shop for 10 days, though, so no idea what's happening at the moment.

As for 2009, I remember I used to be accused of making stuff up, but I predicted I had a good chance in 2010, and so it proved - I lost by 0.7%, well below the national swing. It's a long time ago now and I may well have had some optimism bias in my canvassing too, but I don't think I ever invented anything

Edit: I see you're referring to 2019, not 2009! I was engaged in Portsmouth South then, which Labour held against various predictions. Not especially through my efforts! - but I do remember saying the LibDems were claiming they were better-placed to bea tthe Tories, but people weren't buying it (seeing as how there was a sitting Labour MP). That's quite recent and I'm sure I didn't say anything misleading.
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Alistair said:

Leon said:

#Worldle #70 2/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟨↗️
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉

You need to travel more.
    #Worldle #70 1/6 (100%)
    🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🎉
    I feel quite pathetic
    When it’s a country it’s a doddle, an island and it’s more of a struggle although I got Anguilla second go.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*
    I’ve still got three hours 20 minutes til my (totally fucked up) internal Turkish flight. So, yeah, I probably would, right now

I tried to read THE DAWN OF EVERYTHING that much praised early human history, but no one told me it was quasi-Marxist drivel, full of howling errors, and written in the most cringeworthy *first person plural* style

The first line of the Amazon description was enough to put me off...

Renowned activist and public intellectual David Graeber teams up with professor of comparative archaeology David Wengrow

There's nothing I find more tedious that renowned activists, public intellectuals and professors of comparative archaeology.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,238

TimT said:

Nigelb said:

The Kazakhs are out.

The chances of the Georgians being pro-Russian is approximately zero. I guess they now feel more confident piling in with sanctions and have worked out the Russians aren't a threat.
    General Staff: Russia transfers 2,000 troops from occupied parts of Georgia to Ukraine.

According to Ukraine’s military, 5 battalion tactical groups were sent from military bases in Russian-occupied South Ossetia and Abkhazia to strengthen the Russian army attacking Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1509061779195928576
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I think @Leon already knows the effect he has on women.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

I find it totally bizarre that some universities have retained them when they are no longer required (and rarely worn) in schools, shops, pubs, restaurants, buses, tubes or trains. It’s irrational: what exactly is the point?
    Where I work appears to be threatening to keep 2m social distancing of desks and masks when moving about, even after Scotland's legal mask mandates expire. Joy.

I hope they are planning to review further and are just being cautious until the governments give up their caution, but I really don't trust them not to continue with their own over-caution.
    TimT said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I am going to Diyarbakir

Stayed a week with the Archbishop of Suwayda back in 1982. It boasted the biggest free-standing Roman amphitheatre in the world, and all the main drag, the houses and shops were built with looted Roman columns and friezes. So cool.
    Funny how the memory tricks you. The Roman Theatre I was sure was in Suwayda is in fact about 10 miles south in the village of Busra.

https://www.arabnews.com/sites/default/files/styles/n_670_395/public/2018/11/24/1379061-1949902931.jpg?itok=7uOpXAKG

https://www.muslimheritage.com/ImageLibrary/Fig 3 The bastions and the ditch.jpg
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*

Renowned activist and public intellectual David Graeber teams up with professor of comparative archaeology David Wengrow

There's nothing I find more tedious that renowned activists, public intellectuals and professors of comparative archaeology.
    It’s genuinely terrible. Like; OMFG bad

It makes crass errors from page 1. I am unusually well read on human prehistory but still. These were GCSE fail mistakes

And the prose is stale and laboured and witless

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

The rationale is to avoid disruption from staff and students being off. We’ve had a fair number of colleagues off. Some content they have been able to deliver from home or from previous recordings, other sessions have been covered (as I have done a lot of this last few weeks). I don’t believe the half arsed masking in some places but not others on campus has made any difference, but sadly I don’t make the call...

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

No, I don't make stuff up, though like all politicians I can do spin. I'm mildly in favour of caution but certainly not to the extent of inventing reports of masks in one random shop on a blog - what would I get out of it? I think it's just patchy, and if people see a lot of masks they put one on, and if they don't they don't. I've not been in a shop for 10 days, though, so no idea what's happening at the moment.

As for 2009, I remember I used to be accused of making stuff up, but I predicted I had a good chance in 2010, and so it proved - I lost by 0.7%, well below the national swing. It's a long time ago now and I may well have had some optimism bias in my canvassing too, but I don't think I ever invented anything

Edit: I see you're referring to 2019, not 2009! I was engaged in Portsmouth South then, which Labour held against various predictions. Not especially through my efforts! - but I do remember saying the LibDems were claiming they were better-placed to bea tthe Tories, but people weren't buying it (seeing as how there was a sitting Labour MP). That's quite recent and I'm sure I didn't say anything misleading.
    Cheers. Must not have been you. Maybe horse?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,482
    IshmaelZ said:

Great band.
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

I am going to Diyarbakir

Funny how the memory tricks you. The Roman Theatre I was sure was in Suwayda is in fact about 10 miles south in the village of Busra.

https://www.arabnews.com/sites/default/files/styles/n_670_395/public/2018/11/24/1379061-1949902931.jpg?itok=7uOpXAKG

https://www.muslimheritage.com/ImageLibrary/Fig 3 The bastions and the ditch.jpg
    Have you been to cappadoccia? I know it’s a tourist cliche but I’ve never been and I have spare days at the end of my Knappers Gazette assignment. Shame to waste them somewhere boring (or boringly dangerous)

I could go anywhere in Turkey! Oooh

I’ve always been tempted by Trebizond just because of the romantic name, but I’ve heard it’s quite dull
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,002
    Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

It’s still on the FCO “essential travel only” list but they are famously cautious. I see Sweden has just lifted its advisory against travel there

Internal flights in Turkey are madly cheap right now. You can cross the entire county - and it’s big - for £40
    Some prices are still absurdly cheap. I flew to Albania recently for less than £50 return and I'm looking at Poland in June and you can get flights for £20 each way.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*

I found it really interesting, with lots of offbeat and alternative ideas about societies. Indeed the whole thrust of the book is that the linear model of history favoured by Marxists is wrong. Graeber is an anarchist, not a Marxist.

Its philosophical musing on the three essenial elements of freedom are quite the alternative view.

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*

I found it really interesting, with lots of offbeat and alternative ideas about societies. Indeed the whole thrust of the book is that the linear model of history favoured by Marxists is wrong. Graeber is an anarchist, not a Marxist.

Its philosophical musing on the three essenial elements of freedom are quite the alternative view.

NARRATOR, TRANSLATING

“Offbeat” = *wrong*

“Alternative” = *laughably wrong*

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

Where I work appears to be threatening to keep 2m social distancing of desks and masks when moving about, even after Scotland's legal mask mandates expire. Joy.

I hope they are planning to review further and are just being cautious until the governments give up their caution, but I really don't trust them not to continue with their own over-caution.
    It is completely irrational.

You see it on here: “I don’t always wear my mask but I might wear it on a train”. Why a train? And do you remove it to drink your coffee on said train? And if not how do you drink your coffee? And if you do remove it, why bother wearing it at all? And if you do wear it on the train, do you wear it in the pub? And when in the pub, how do drink your pint with a mask on?

I dare say the individual outcomes with sporadic masking versus no masking will be near identical.
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*

NARRATOR, TRANSLATING

“Offbeat” = *wrong*

To people with closed minds, I am sure that is the case.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,941
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Great band.
    Same period, slightly different vibe, possibly the best 10 mins of music I've listened to in the last few years.

https://youtu.be/74jS3dW0DtE

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TimT said:

Leon said:

Some prices are still absurdly cheap. I flew to Albania recently for less than £50 return and I'm looking at Poland in June and you can get flights for £20 each way.
    It is a great time to travel, especially to unexpected places, as all the covid faff falls away

The entirety of covid red tape to get into Turkey is: 2 minutes filling in a health form online. That’s it

No tests no nothing no vaccine checks. Ditto on your return to the UK

Masks are quite common here (so far) but lots don’t wear them and no one seems to care. It’s like a less Nazi version of godalming, indeed I think the Turkish tourist board are now using that comparison as a selling point
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Again, NCAYWS

*sad face*

NARRATOR, TRANSLATING

“Offbeat” = *wrong*

To people with closed minds, I am sure that is the case.
    Trust me, I have the opposite of a closed mind. I think we might be being visited by alien drones FFS

But I also know a LOT of prehistory - it’s a personal passion - and I therefore know when someone is spouting wishful thinking bollocks about prehistory. Which is what that book largely consists of. Yearning hopeful nonsense
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,798
    OK, as we're being boring:

Wordle: got in 4, 2 last letter options, guessed right
    Quordle: 4,6,7,8. Happy with efficiency of guesses, I've guessed some right junk in the past and .improving in that respect. Not made lower than 8 yet though.
    Nerdle: fFirst time I've ended with about 4 equivalent digits to randomly guess from. Did a tie break guess, but 5 the worst I've done in a month.
    Wardle: Homed in quickly after my usual coastal first guess. Got in 3. Can't believe I didn't notice the arrows for a few weeks.
    Worldle: Thought, that looks like the sort of country that occurs in a particular area of the world, and then circled that region until landing on the 5th guess. Hard, a bit, but at least it wasn't the bloody Kergeulen Islands again.
    Globle: The usual triangle of countries approach once close yielded it in 5. Average dropping slowly, hoping to get sub 6 soon.

Sweardle, lewdle and the rest: sorry, swear engine too limited and not dialecty enough - they don't know half my words, I don't know half theirs. Sacked them off weeks ago.

ydoethur said:

Anyway.

I was at an awards dinner last night - hundreds of people, very busy space, lots of yelling to be heard, no masks.
    We're flying to the UK from Washington next Saturday, and I looked into flight prices and they were utterly insane.

But there was ample BA airmiles availability, so we're all flying Club World.

Which was nice.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,348
    Pro_Rata said:

OK, as we're being boring:

Wordle: got in 4, 2 last letter options, guessed right
    Quordle: 4,6,7,8. Happy with efficiency of guesses, I've guessed some right junk in the past and .improving in that respect. Not made lower than 8 yet though.
    Nerdle: fFirst time I've ended with about 4 equivalent digits to randomly guess from. Did a tie break guess, but 5 the worst I've done in a month.
    Wardle: Homed in quickly after my usual coastal first guess. Got in 3. Can't believe I didn't notice the arrows for a few weeks.
    Worldle: Thought, that looks like the sort of country that occurs in a particular area of the world, and then circled that region until landing on the 5th guess. Hard, a bit, but at least it wasn't the bloody Kergeulen Islands again.
    Globle: The usual triangle of countries approach once close yielded it in 5. Average dropping slowly, hoping to get sub 6 soon.

Sweardle, lewdle and the rest: sorry, swear engine too limited and not dialecty enough - they don't know half my words, I don't know half theirs. Sacked them off weeks ago.

Wardle and worldle both in 1 today. Wordle in 3, nerdle in 5, same as you - could have been 3, could have been 6 cycling through the possibilities at the end. Quordle in 4, 5, 6, 9.
    Have you tried worgle? A 6 letter wordle, predating wordle2. Today's was a bugger - possibly just for April 1st, it doesn't normally pick such obscure words. I was prewarned it was obscure and quite proud to get it in 6.
    http://bronze-age.com/worgle/
This discussion has been closed.