Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

At last a day when Ukraine is not on the front pages – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited March 2022 in General
imageAt last a day when Ukraine is not on the front pages – politicalbetting.com

Last week on one of the threads a couple of PBer got into a wager as to whether during March there would be a day when Ukraine wasn’t on three or more of the front pages.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    First
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,870
    Watching the BBC News at Ten.

Why do the BBC insist on calling the PM "Prime Minister Boris Johnson", like he is some kind of royal. Far too much formal respect

Why the Johnson nonsense? It's ludicrous. He's Boris. We all know him as Boris. He IS Boris. They should just say "Today, our Boris went to Saudi Arabia", or "next week, the Bozzmeister" (cheery grin) "will be Bozzing About in Belarus". Or just have a picture of the Bojo doing thumbs up at all of us

No wonder I'm not paying my licence fee
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,471
    "US to send armed drones to Ukraine following Zelensky’s plea for help"

https://www.ft.com/content/8e279842-ff80-4342-86da-df15eb3b7d09
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598
    Leon said:

Why do the BBC insist on calling the PM "Prime Minister Boris Johnson", like he is some kind of royal. Far too much formal respect

Why the Johnson nonsense? It's ludicrous. He's Boris. We all know him as Boris. He IS Boris. They should just say "Today, our Boris went to Saudi Arabia", or "next week, the Bozzmeister" (cheery grin) "will be Bozzing About in Belarus". Or just have a picture of the Bojo doing thumbs up at all of us

Because next week some will be wanting them to call him Caesar Augustus Maximus Churchillensis Kiplingensis.

And others will want the BBC to call him FLSOJ.

I prefer Mr Johnson. No argument about that being correct. (Unless he self-declares etc. But that is different.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Has there been much suggestion as to whether he has achieved anything? Saudis upping output?
  • Options

Leon said:

Has there been much suggestion as to whether he has achieved anything? Saudis upping output?
    Enough to make up for the JP-5 or whatever the Crab Fat Shagmobile consumes?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Leon said:

Alternatively, the newsreader could just make an appropriate hand gesture, and we'd all know who they were referring to.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Leon said:

Wait till you hear about New York Times editorial policy on names.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Because next week some will be wanting them to call him Caesar Augustus Maximus Churchillensis Kiplingensis.

I prefer Mr Johnson. No argument about that being correct. (Unless he self-declares etc. But that is different.
    They should rename BBC news BOZZNEWS and only have reports on "our Boris"

Newsnight could be renamed BORIS TONIGHT FEATURING "BORIS"

GMGB could be GOOD MORNING GREAT BORIS

And so forth. These are just ideas. But we need to return the news to more neutrality. No one says "Johnson" unless they hate Our Boris, so it is bollocks to use the word
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    It is lovely to see such amazing news for a change. I can’t imagine the emotions her family has been through.
  • Options
    PensfoldPensfold Posts: 191
    Whistleblower tells Parliamentary Committee that HS2 internal projections show costs will be double those reported to the Dept of Transport.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/hs2-boss-denies-cost-inaccuracies-despite-whistleblower-claims-10-03-2022/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

And so forth. These are just ideas. But we need to return the news to more neutrality. No one says "Johnson" unless they hate Our Boris, so it is bollocks to use the word
    So you are saying that whoever becomes the Prime Minister, such as SKS, should automatically be renamed Boris? Like the Roman emperors of old?

In centuries to come. no doubt, each of the primitive tribes inhabiting reed-thatched round huts in the ruins of Cam Dun and Primisil will call its tribal leader the Buris.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390

Leon said:

Bozo: We don't want to buy oil from totalitarian despots who invade their neighbours.

Saudis: So what are you doing here then?
    Is that a Private Eye cover ?
    Should be.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So you are saying that whoever becomes the Prime Minister, such as SKS, should automatically be renamed Boris? Like the Roman emperors of old?

In centuries to come. no doubt, each of the primitive tribes inhabiting reed-thatched round huts in the ruins of Cam Dun and Primisil will call its tribal leader the Buris.
    Ooh, I like

"Today, the elders of Scottlelund elected the New Boris, after a traditional Scottysh feast of pebbles, mud and rancid offal. Later, offerings were made in garbled Englysshe at the Faslane shrine of Holie Trydent"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Should we also rename television ginvision ?
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Anyone seen what China is doing on Ukraine now? are they still just reporting the Russian version of events?

Some chat on twitter that China is now allowing people to post online comments that are favorable to Ukraine - a change from the previous situation - and that the Chinese Ambassador to Ukraine has praised the unity of the country and pledged assistance in the recovery.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

@MoonRabbit hope you are keeping well Moon

My resilience wobbled a bit when war kicked off to be honest, horse, but I was staring at it all the time and analysing it. I’m back into swing of getting out flat early and keeping busy and only the broad news headlines about the war now. I can’t actually stop it myself as much as I want too, all I can do is pray for peace and everyone coming back close together as soon as possible. What I can control is getting out in a park and seeing things slowly bud. The weather now for coming week looks great, I can’t wait to get out and about in sunshine.

How are you? I noticed you having long PB discussion on diet and exercise? Have you seen idea’s of Jessie Inchauspe Daily Mail were promoting?

https://getpodcast.com/de/podcast/be-well-by-kelly/144-balance-your-blood-sugar-feel-your-best-with-jessie-inchauspe-fabu_fe12693a8d

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/58438618-glucose-revolution

To be fair to Daily Mail their health articles have always been very good.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ooh, I like

"Today, the elders of Scottlelund elected the New Boris, after a traditional Scottysh feast of pebbles, mud and rancid offal. Later, offerings were made in garbled Englysshe at the Faslane shrine of Holie Trydent"
    O what we ben! And what we come to!
  • Options
    It’s reassuring that in times of desperate international crisis, Republicans can be relied on.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IAmPoliticsGirl/status/1504193965226020864
    You literally just voted AGAINST aid for Ukraine.

Quote Tweet
    Sen. Marsha Blackburn @MarshaBlackburn · 9h The USA stands with Ukraine. 🇺🇸🇺🇦
  • Options

Leon said:

I billion investment in green tech

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/ps1billion-investment-into-teesside-expected-as-boris-johnson-visits-saudi-arabia-3613067
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,399
    edited March 2022

My resilience wobbled a bit when war kicked off to be honest, horse, but I was staring at it all the time and analysing it. I’m back into swing of getting out flat early and keeping busy and only the broad news headlines about the war now. I can’t actually stop it myself as much as I want too, all I can do is pray for peace and everyone coming back close together as soon as possible. What I can control is getting out in a park and seeing things slowly bud. The weather now for coming week looks great, I can’t wait to get out and about in sunshine.

How are you? I noticed you having long PB discussion on diet and exercise? Have you seen idea’s of Jessie Inchauspe Daily Mail were promoting?

https://getpodcast.com/de/podcast/be-well-by-kelly/144-balance-your-blood-sugar-feel-your-best-with-jessie-inchauspe-fabu_fe12693a8d

An epidemiologist chokes on his own laughter :wink: (re the DM comment)

Or are we excluding the Is your CLOCK radio giving you CANCER? type articles?
    (I may paraphrase slightly, but I remember at least a very similar headline from my youth, which was most definitely mispent reading the Mail)

Edit: Good for you though. What's that old quote? "Lord, grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Wise words indeed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ooh, I like

This is actually making me think back to Richard Jefferies' book 'After London'. Read it many years ago; must fish it out sometime and reread it.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Pensfold said:

Whistleblower tells Parliamentary Committee that HS2 internal projections show costs will be double those reported to the Dept of Transport.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/hs2-boss-denies-cost-inaccuracies-despite-whistleblower-claims-10-03-2022/

I don't understand this story. THe official cost of HS2 is not £42.5bn, it's £72bn to £98bn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16473296#:~:text=How much will HS2 cost,2015 (at 2015 prices).
  • Options
    TimT said:

Anyone seen what China is doing on Ukraine now? are they still just reporting the Russian version of events?

Some chat on twitter that China is now allowing people to post online comments that are favorable to Ukraine - a change from the previous situation - and that the Chinese Ambassador to Ukraine has praised the unity of the country and pledged assistance in the recovery.

https://twitter.com/With__Ukraine/status/1503720410684313618

Having been a candid friend of Russia to start with it appears they may be maneuvering a little.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ooh, I like

This is actually making me think back to Richard Jefferies' book 'After London'. Read it many years ago; must fish it out sometime and reread it.
    One of my favourite 19th century writers!

Superb nature writing. I always remember his description of hiking an English meadow in a winter storm and happening - by chance - across a gypsy encampment and finding a beautiful young topless Gypsy woman standing proud, with the snowflakes "driving thickly aslant upon her"
  • Options
    Selebian said:

An epidemiologist chokes on his own laughter :wink:

(I may paraphrase slightly, but I remember at least a very similar headline from my youth, which was most definitely mispent reading the Mail)
    I think I've mentioned it before - but it's too good to miss: the Scottish edition of the Mail is a bit too prone to repeat legal advice articles from the London edition, despite the obvious problems this causes. But the prize example was someone got banged up for incest (a particular variety of which the English happily commit, but is illegal in Scotland: it's buried in the details of who you can and can't legally marry, and he'd been taking the DM advice too seriously). He actually sued them, but as I recall didn't get anywhere.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ooh, I like

Superb nature writing. I always remember his description of hiking an English meadow in a winter storm and happening - by chance - across a gypsy encampment and finding a beautiful young topless Gypsy woman standing proud, with the snowflakes "driving thickly aslant upon her"
    Been finding my old teenage and 20s books of late as I weed out my library. Hodge and his Masters is beside my lunch table for dipping into, a chapter at a time: chalk and cheese country stuff. He was from Swindon as I recall. Also wrote a fine book about the GWR works there if memory serves.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733

Pensfold said:

I don't understand this story. THe official cost of HS2 is not £42.5bn, it's £72bn to £98bn

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16473296#:~:text=How much will HS2 cost,2015 (at 2015 prices).
    It's comforting to discover that nearly 200 years after the Rainhill Trials HS2 is still employing whistle blowers.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Andy_JS said:

Biden is proving a lot more ballsy about this than I expected to be frank.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ooh, I like

Been finding my old teenage and 20s books of late as I weed out my library. Hodge and his Masters is beside my lunch table for dipping into, a chapter at a time: chalk and cheese country stuff. He was from Swindon as I recall. Also wrote a fine book about the GWR works there if memory serves.
    So much of Jefferies Country has been utterly despoiled. Oxfordshire and Middlesex and the like

And it must have been exquisite

I sometimes like to imagine Middlesex or the greater Home Counties before about 1820. It would have been rapturously beautiful. Great beechwoods and elmwoods, hanging over deep river valleys. Dotted with lovely medieval villages like, say, West Wycombe is today, but unremarked because there would have been so many

Sad

• Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

It “feels” like one more grand gesture might be the thing to push the Russians to run for the exit door. The migs?
  • Options
    biggles said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

It “feels” like one more grand gesture might be the thing to push the Russians to run for the exit door. The migs?
    I get the sense the Americans "know" that Putin is on the retreat, and on the run. Hence their sudden willingness to go further

Let's hope they don't over-reach
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

I think I've mentioned it before - but it's too good to miss: the Scottish edition of the Mail is a bit too prone to repeat legal advice articles from the London edition, despite the obvious problems this causes. But the prize example was someone got banged up for incest (a particular variety of which the English happily commit, but is illegal in Scotland: it's buried in the details of who you can and can't legally marry, and he'd been taking the DM advice too seriously). He actually sued them, but as I recall didn't get anywhere.
    I am now quite intrigued by this particular variety of incest that the English happily commit. Should my second cousin thrice removed* wife and I avoid Scotland in future? :open_mouth:

*for avoidance of doubt, not really - although given I've no idea what a second cousin thrice removed is, or even whether there is such a thing, who knows?
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

I get the sense the Americans "know" that Putin is on the retreat, and on the run. Hence their sudden willingness to go further

Yes something’s afoot. Biden is old but he’s no fool on this stuff, and his language earlier was precisely chosen.
  • Options
    I personally never believed that Boris's inept and stupid comments when he was FS had anything to do with how long Zaghari-Ratcliffe was kidnapped by Iran. It suggested that rationality and even legality had something to do with her kidnap and ransom which is ridiculous after a moment's thought. Nevertheless, it is another stick removed from those who cannot resist beating him for any reason that comes to hand and will probably give him another small boost.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden is a cold war warrior who sees NATO as vitally important, and Russia as the enemy.

It probably makes him ideal for this crisis, but it also means he might not be ideal for the next.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I personally never believed that Boris's inept and stupid comments when he was FS had anything to do with how long Zaghari-Ratcliffe was kidnapped by Iran. It suggested that rationality and even legality had something to do with her kidnap and ransom which is ridiculous after a moment's thought. Nevertheless, it is another stick removed from those who cannot resist beating him for any reason that comes to hand and will probably give him another small boost.

I was expecting her to come home with him on his jet. If anything I’m surprised they didn’t do it that way.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733
    Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

I am now quite intrigued by this particular variety of incest that the English happily commit. Should my second cousin thrice removed* wife and I avoid Scotland in future? :open_mouth:

*for avoidance of doubt, not really - although given I've no idea what a second cousin thrice removed is, or even whether there is such a thing, who knows?
    It means your great grandfather would be her great great great great grandfather.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes something’s afoot. Biden is old but he’s no fool on this stuff, and his language earlier was precisely chosen.
    Indeed. The Fall of Putin would be a great prize: presuming he is replaced by someone less hostile to the West. And it is in the interest of Russia for this to happen. Russia can still be a great power: a leading democratic partner in Eurasian containment of a rampant China. Or Russia can be a pathetic Chinese colony, mined for raw materials

Them's the choices, Ivan
  • Options
    biggles said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Yet another day with no progress, more casualties and more attrocities. The US drones could be a game changer in this stalemate.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

This was the idea behind Boris hiring Allegra Stratton.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden is a cold war warrior who sees NATO as vitally important, and Russia as the enemy.

It probably makes him ideal for this crisis, but it also means he might not be ideal for the next.
    Yep, he's old enough to remember when NATO was a thing.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,581
    @hyufd fpt.

a) We could not send Vulcans over willy nilly. We did it once. It was a massive logistical operation involving multiple refueling planes refueling each other to finally get a Vulcan over Stanley. It was a one off. So again you are talking nonsense.

B,) Sea Dart and Sea Wolf are not air to air missile. They are a defence of last resort for ships. You haven't a clue have you? Also Sea Wolf was limited in numbers so it caused huge problems using it as a defence.

C) It was the harriers with their sidewinders that provided the first line of defence. Without them the ships would have been overwhelmed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,660
    Putin should be happy to go - if the Death of Putin is as good a film as the Death of Stalin he can rest easy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Putin should be happy to go - if the Death of Putin is as good a film as the Death of Stalin he can rest easy.

I was disappointed by some of the negative reviews when the film was first released. Thankfully most of them seem to have changed their mind.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,136

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

This was the idea behind Boris hiring Allegra Stratton.
    I still think that means he called a cab and a beige 1976 Austin pulled up.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

The alternative was a Putin strongman lover who hates NATO and would have happily waved the kremlin all the way into Lithuania frankly.

God bless Arizona, Georgia and Wisconsin.
    That, or gone nuclear a week ago because he was overcompensating and had appointed a Cabinet John Bolton thought was a bit too hawkish.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

I was disappointed by some of the negative reviews when the film was first released. Thankfully most of them seem to have changed their mind.
    It and Grand Budapest Hotel are my favourites of the last ten years.
  • Options
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

The alternative was a Putin strongman lover who hates NATO and would have happily waved the kremlin all the way into Lithuania frankly.

That, or gone nuclear a week ago because he was overcompensating and had appointed a Cabinet John Bolton thought was a bit too hawkish.
    LOL.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845

Leon said:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/ps1billion-investment-into-teesside-expected-as-boris-johnson-visits-saudi-arabia-3613067
    These things never quite turn out to be what they seem.

By the way, do you have a direct line to CCHQ for this stuff, or do you just..y’know…read the Yorkshire Post on the regular.
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed. The Fall of Putin would be a great prize: presuming he is replaced by someone less hostile to the West. And it is in the interest of Russia for this to happen. Russia can still be a great power: a leading democratic partner in Eurasian containment of a rampant China. Or Russia can be a pathetic Chinese colony, mined for raw materials

Them's the choices, Ivan
    Either which way the days of Russia being considered a serious military power for anything other than nukes are over. If they can't beat Ukraine Poland would hammer them in a conventional war. Even the French could probably beat them if they didn't surrender first.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Leon said:

biggles said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Stop at the gates of Moscow, Mr President....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,951
    edited March 2022
    kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

a) We could not send Vulcans over willy nilly. We did it once. It was a massive logistical operation involving multiple refueling planes refueling each other to finally get a Vulcan over Stanley. It was a one off. So again you are talking nonsense.

B) Sea Dart and Sea Wolf are not air to air missile. They are a defence of last resort for ships. You haven't a clue have you? Also Sea Wolf was limited in numbers so it caused huge problems using it as a defence.

C) It was the harriers with their sidewinders that provided the first line of defence. Without them the ships would have been overwhelmed.

You have already wrecked most of my evening having to reply to you and are continuing now with your inability to ever let go. I am not going to ever concede to you. Just get that into your skull. Even if this lasts the rest of the year. Yet you continue from thread to thread continuing on again and again.

This thread could have ended 2 threads ago. But no, being the tedious bore you are you had to carry it over again and again onto the next thread and the next.

A) We had multiple Vulcans in the Falklands over the course of the War, all of which could have been used to bomb Argentine airfields.

B) All we needed to get our troops on our ships to the Falklands was to defend those ships. Sea Dart and Sea Wolf were fine for that and did indeed down many Argentine planes.

C) Sidewinders were not the sole missiles that could have been used by Harriers. Having them was a help but if we did not have them we would have had other air to air missiles.

Plus again we had submarines with nuclear missiles unlike Argentina as a last resort

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,969
    DavidL said:

You’ve moved on from Boris has to go then? As I recall you expressed it more half heartedly than many others, so perhaps less distance to row back.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If they call Starmer Keir then fine - but I have a feeling we won't get a post on that.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    "Chelsea fans chanting 'Roman Abramovich' throw bottles at French riot police who respond with tear gas ahead of Champions League tie with Lille
    Chelsea fans drank throughout the day as they clashed with Gendarmes in Lille
    Police fired tear gas cannisters and sent in squads to arrest the ringleaders
    Around 2,500 fans who bought tickets before sanctions have travelled to France "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10620605/Chelsea-fans-chanting-Roman-Abramovich-throw-bottles-French-police-respond-tear-gas.html
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Them's the choices, Ivan
    Either which way the days of Russia being considered a serious military power for anything other than nukes are over. If they can't beat Ukraine Poland would hammer them in a conventional war. Even the French could probably beat them if they didn't surrender first.
    It simplifies things massively doesn’t it, in a (sad sort of) way? We are all moving away from doing business with Russia and have nothing to fear, except the nuclear threat we can take off the table with our own. The sad part is if he really does North Korea-ise them
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    TimT said:

From what I have seen, the Chinese news covers the diplomatic activity reasonably accurately, it repeats the Russian lines about the West being out to get them and ignores totally what's happening on the ground in Ukraine. Chinese readers would be forgiven for wondering what all the fuss was about as neither the Russians nor the Ukrainians seem to be doing anything.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

I recommend Colette. Caught it last night on BBC2.

It has hints of Grand Budapest Hotel. Obviously not as good - that would be hard - but still captures that early 20th century European bohemian feeling rather well. It's all about the bisexual French writer (played brilliantly by a luminous Keira Knightley) and her older libertine partner and publisher, played expertly by Dominic West (him off The Wire, et al)

Frivolous yet moving. 8.4/10

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/06/colette-review-keira-knightley-wash-westmoreland
  • Options

Leon said:

By the way, do you have a direct line to CCHQ for this stuff, or do you just..y’know…read the Yorkshire Post on the regular.
    I totally read that as 'GCHQ' and thought maybe BigG and Heathener were closer than we thought!

(While also wondering why GCHQ would be needed if it's in the Yorkshire Post)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump has now shifted to threatening to bomb Russia

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/07/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-jets-chinese
  • Options
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

It has hints of Grand Budapest Hotel. Obviously not as good - that would be hard - but still captures that early 20th century European bohemian feeling rather well. It's all about the bisexual French writer (played brilliantly by a luminous Keira Knightley) and her older libertine partner and publisher, played expertly by Dominic West (him off The Wire, et al)

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/06/colette-review-keira-knightley-wash-westmoreland
    Thank you I shall have a look. If nothing else it’ll be nice to look at.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

It means your great grandfather would be her great great great great grandfather.
    Ah, thanks. And, given the implied age difference, that would make me Leon, then?
  • Options

DavidL said:

You’ve moved on from Boris has to go then? As I recall you expressed it more half heartedly than many others, so perhaps less distance to row back.
    No, I still think he should have resigned for lying to the Commons, as I said at the time. But that moment has past and we have another very disappointing precedent as a result. Maybe not as bad as Blair who initiated a war rather than a party but bad enough.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

B) Sea Dart and Sea Wolf are not air to air missile. They are a defence of last resort for ships. You haven't a clue have you? Also Sea Wolf was limited in numbers so it caused huge problems using it as a defence.

You have already wrecked most of my evening having to reply to you and are continuing now with your inability to ever let go. I am not going to ever concede to you. Just get that into your skull. Even if this lasts the rest of the year. Yet you continue from thread to thread continuing on again and again.

This thread could have ended 2 threads ago. But no, being the tedious bore you are you had to carry it over again and again onto the next thread and the next….

At least this will be an end to those who go on about HY is so polite….
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    edited March 2022

Leon said:

Of course you hope they don't work, but as far as posting information there are multiple media organisations providing the same report and this was the first I chose

Sorry good news stories get to you as you give the impression you want anything HMG does to fail
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

This thread could have ended 2 threads ago. But no, being the tedious bore you are you had to carry it over again and again onto the next thread and the next….

Even I have limits...
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

I totally read that as 'GCHQ' and thought maybe BigG and Heathener were closer than we thought!

It has firmly come down on the side of the Lancastrians. Probably monitoring the Yorkists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/permanent-location-of-national-cyber-force-campus-announced
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,087
    DavidL said:

You are once again giving Johnson another free pass, this time for his lazy incompetence whilst FS.

Whether or not his foolhardy comments had any bearing on Mrs Ratcliffe's fate is not the issue. We should expect senior Ministers to avail themselves of their brief. Johnson did not, and you want to give him "a small boost".

Both Lammy and Sadiq put party politics aside and commended Liz Truss today. They remained stinging in their analysis of Johnson's tenure as FS. He deserves no credit for Mrs Ratcliffe's release whatsoever.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Thank you I shall have a look. If nothing else it’ll be nice to look at.

It is at least Diverting and Fun. And these are not bad things, right now
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

In a couple of hours she will finally be home. It is one piece of unashamed good news. The family live very near me in London. There is a big tree in Fortune Green which has had ribbons put on it every so often as part of Richard Ratcliffe's campaign.

This film scene from The Railway Children seems appropriate - https://twitter.com/michaelwarbur17/status/1504083733766455299?s=21.

Good night all.

Yes, I saw that display when in London a few years ago. It was very moving.
  • Options

Leon said:

Of course you hope they don't work, but as far as posting information there are multiple media organisations providing the same report and this was the first I chose

Sorry good news stories get to you as you give the impression you want anything HMG does to fail
    Sadly Big G, and I would have thought you’d be wise enough to appreciate it, this government has form for spouting utter tosh which they hope will hoodwink very gullible voters.

This story reads precisely like one of those cases.

I’ll be very pleased if I’m wrong.
    I’ve been banging on about levelling up for nearly as long as you’ve been dining out on driving Miss Daisy, or whatever that Tory grandee was called.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump has now shifted to threatening to bomb Russia

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/07/donald-trump-russia-ukraine-jets-chinese
    Of course he has but he is not in power thankfully , and let's hope the US chose a sane President next time
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,969
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Did you try Paris Police 1900? Almost exactly the same period with added antisemitc ladies who lunch shooting up while listening to Fauré, plus a bit of serial killing chucked in.
  • Options

DavidL said:

You aCare once again giving Johnson another free pass, this time for his lazy incompetence whilst FS.

Whether or not his foolhardy comments had any bearing on Mrs Ratcliffe's fate is not the issue. We should expect senior Ministers to avail themselves of their brief. Johnson did not, and you want to give him "a small boost".

Both Lammy and Sadiq put party politics aside and commended Liz Truss today. They remained stinging in their analysis of Johnson's tenure as FS. He deserves no credit for Mrs Ratcliffe's release whatsoever.
    Can I refer you to my entry of 11.26 and indeed the entry you have quoted which refers to his "inept and stupid" comments. If you think that is a free pass, well, we will have to differ.
  • Options
    edited March 2022

DavidL said:

You are once again giving Johnson another free pass, this time for his lazy incompetence whilst FS.

DavidL is probably Boris’s #1 apologist.

I must confess I can’t understand why someone who works in the legal profession should so easily be taken in by someone who has spent his career flouting the rules.

I admit I cracked a smile when he suggested that the Radcliffe news will give Boris a “small bounce”.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Chelsea fans chanting 'Roman Abramovich' throw bottles at French riot police who respond with tear gas ahead of Champions League tie with Lille
    Around 2,500 fans who bought tickets before sanctions have travelled to France "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10620605/Chelsea-fans-chanting-Roman-Abramovich-throw-bottles-French-police-respond-tear-gas.html

Ban them from Europe and relegate them to the bottom leagues

They are a stain on this country
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 143
    HYUFD said:

WTF is wrong with you?

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Chelsea fans or Russian operatives?
  • Options
    The Tories here were never really calling for Johnson to go, not really.

Those who called for him to go seriously had some principles and had quit voting Tory when he became the leader.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I must confess I can’t understand why someone who works in the legal profession should so easily be taken in by someone who has spent his career flouting the rules.

I admit I cracked a smile when he suggested that the Radcliffe news will give Boris a “small bounce”.
    Just bizarre. But whatever. Good night all.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

It has firmly come down on the side of the Lancastrians. Probably monitoring the Yorkists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/permanent-location-of-national-cyber-force-campus-announced
    Oh! So Fatima's next job could be in the north, even if she doesn't know it yet?

( https://www.theregister.com/2020/10/13/cyberfirst_ads_cancelled/ )
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 143

Andy_JS said:

Chelsea fans or Russian operatives?
    Potato potatoh. I suggest we relegate just to be safe.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947
    Interesting debate on R5L.
    Which was better Phoenix Nights or The Office?
    Phoenix for me. Or maybe that's the world I know?
    Regardless. A sign of how sitcoms have declined.
    Mrs. Brown's Boys these days.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

You aCare once again giving Johnson another free pass, this time for his lazy incompetence whilst FS.

Can I refer you to my entry of 11.26 and indeed the entry you have quoted which refers to his "inept and stupid" comments. If you think that is a free pass, well, we will have to differ.
    The problem - and you are not the only PB Tory to do this - is the rather half-hearted condemnation followed by the faux-grudging concession that you will, after all, follow the pied piper out of town.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    The Speaker of the Russian parliament says that Joe Biden needs to be held accountable for the Nazifcation of Ukraine and says he is guilty of crimes against humanity.

https://twitter.com/tass_agency/status/1504219918438391815
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

@hyufd fpt.

Even I have limits...
    Yes, but then I never saw your relentless passive-aggressive obstinance and stubborn refusal to engage in any real discussion of the points being put to you, as particularly polite in the first place.
    Do I care? No
  • Options

DavidL said:

This is bonkers
  • Options

Leon said:

Sadly Big G, and I would have thought you’d be wise enough to appreciate it, this government has form for spouting utter tosh which they hope will hoodwink very gullible voters.

This story reads precisely like one of those cases.

I’ll be very pleased if I’m wrong.
    I’ve been banging on about levelling up for nearly as long as you’ve been dining out on driving Miss Daisy, or whatever that Tory grandee was called.
    I expect you to be very pleased then
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    biggles said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Can't trust Yorkies. Wise decision.
    There's a good reason why England and Labour have a red rose.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

WTF is wrong with you?

Many have asked the same question
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Leon said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Keira Knightly is quite enough to persuade me.
    Bisexual is but a bonus.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    dixiedean said:

Interesting debate on R5L.
    Which was better Phoenix Nights or The Office?
    Phoenix for me. Or maybe that's the world I know?
    Regardless. A sign of how sitcoms have declined.
    Mrs. Brown's Boys these days.

Love the Office and Phoenix Nights, but Phoenix Nights is better. On the surface it’s simpler, but there are many more layers to it.

Also I’ve been in those clubs.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

biggles said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Can't trust Yorkies. Wise decision.
    There's a good reason why England and Labour have a red rose.
    Good decision, though they should have chosen a city centre location rather than some where out in the country.
This discussion has been closed.