Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wanted: A PM who DID NOT go to Oxford – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Talking about unknowables I have now watched a few videos of the Emirates ad together with some more about the Burj Khalifa itself which feature people casually hanging onto the side of it at the very top.

How the fuckety fucking fuck do they do that and why. You wouldn't get me to do that for all the tea in China. Funniest bit? There they are carabinered onto the outside of the building 800m high and each of them is wearing a crappy helmet made out of plastic.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027
    HYUFD said:

Redfield poll is relatively good for Starmer albeit he still has a lot more work to do.

Best PM rating is interesting: Starmer vs Johnson, 40% to 33%, Starmer vs Sunak 40% to 38%.

On that poll it makes no difference whether Sunak or Johnson is party leader then in terms of outcome, if the best PM figures are taken to roughly equate to voting intention.

It would be a hung parliament either way. Just with Johnson Labour would win most seats whereas with Sunak the Tories would win most seats but Starmer would still become PM with SNP support.

Sunak would save some Tory MPs' seats, he would not however stop a Labour government
    That's a relief.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    edited February 2022
    BREAKING: Keir Starmer has just been bundled into a police car outside Parliament after a mob of protesters swarmed him.

https://twitter.com/JackElsom/status/1490736516590718977
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

Heathener said:

I think too that Leon's need for belief in God, if not the need to diss those who don't need him, rests more on what he has written about his own battles for wellbeing. And therefore I shall leave my input there.

If religion helps your mental health and wellbeing then that's fine. Just keep it to yourself and don't diss those who don't feel the need for it in the same way.

Dave Allen had the best response and one we should all coalesce around

May your God go with you
    Perhaps sadly, Larkin surely nailed all the God stuff:

This is a special way of being afraid

No trick dispels. Religion used to try,

That old moth-eaten musical brocade

Created to pretend we never die
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I under-estimated the number of galaxies in the universe

It is not my rough drunken guess of "seventy billion" (which is itself quite a high number), it is two TRILLION, ie two million million

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2018/10/18/this-is-how-we-know-there-are-two-trillion-galaxies-in-the-universe/?sh=83cced95a67b

Every galaxy contains - on average - 100-200 BILLION stars (some are much smaller, others much bigger)

So that's TWO TRILLION times 200 BILLION = the number of stars in the universe

In actual numbers that is

That is the estimated number of stars in the observable universe, and that number keeps going up the more we explore. And we have only really just started exploring, beyond our own planet. And above this hovers the idea of the multiverse: that we are just one cosmos amongst many many many, or indeed an infinite number

This, I submit, is ONE reason Why Religion. The science of some cheeky vertical monkeys who wank half the day will never be able to comprehend this vastness. This should not stop us trying. But, eeeesh, God is a better answer for much of everyday human life, and indeed much spiritual inspiration. We are meant to believe, so believe, the way we are meant to enjoy booze, so drink

Hm - but I'd guess(?) one of the reasons you find religion easy is that you grew up in an idiom in which believing in God was seen as a reasonable way of making sense of the world.

I didn't, really. I grew up in a going-through-the-motions idiom. We had nominally religious assemblies at primary school, but no-one really believed it. You sung a hymn and said a prayer because that's what you were told to. The teachers no more believed than the children. When a teacher who genuinely did believe turned up - and complained that by messing about we were begrudging God 20 minutes of our day - the blank incomprehension of both children and other teachers was palpable. The unspoken consensus - no, we aren't, because he doesn't exist, not really.

(I also went to Sunday school. But that was just a reason for mum and dad to have a bit of alone time. And actual church gave me the willies. Again, the sincerity gap.)

And so while I was never told there's no God, I never grew up around any sort of sincere belief that God was a thing. I'm not trying to be virtuously atheistic: my atheism is in many ways as circumstantial as others' belief. But it's just not a concept which makes any sort of sense to me personally. It's not easy to believe. It doesn't make any sort of sense. Less sense than the absolutely vast scale of the galaxy and the counter-intuitivity of quantum physics, anyway.
    I find all this genuinely sad

To deny a child the wonderful gift of Faith is as bad, to me, as forcing on them some grotesque fundamentalist creed: Wahhabism or Wee Free Presbyterianism or whatever

Faith is an enormous solace, and we are hard wired for it. We are MEANT to believe. It helps you cope. There is a reason why NA and AA are the most proven and successful means of quitting major addictions, they both rely on a belief in a Higher Power. You surrender to the God that will save you. And it works. Better than fucking methadone. And I have tried both

And it works because it utilizes an algo-module already in our heads. The God module

My advice, if you are atheist but seek faith, is try ayahuasca. If it is anything like the wild shit I did in Ibiza in December you will emerge a believer
    Recovering as a I am from a major bout of depression, I can attest that having the support of a friendly church is invaluable.
    Very happy to hear that.
    Thanks. I think the root cause of my depression was excess drinking. I've been teetotal since 1st December.
    ooh, hello Sean - I was reminiscing about you (amongst others) in a discussion of early posters on pb.com the other night.
    Sorry to hear about your depression and pleased to hear you are now recovering.
    I also suffered from a bout of depression last year, and stopping drinking was part of my way out of it. I never drank particularly heavily, but I very rarely had a day without alcohol.
    Relieved of my depression, I did start drinking again, in a low key way, 6 months later. But I give myself far more days off than I used to.
    Thanks. In my case, it was one to one and a half bottles of wine, each and every day. I think it dulled my mind to a number of problems which I'm gradually working my way through. I panicked when I first woke up to the scale of the problems.
    I find it genuinely inspiring that you were a) at the stage of panicking when you woke up to the scale of your problems, and b) recovered to the stage where you are working your way back again.

That is not drinking, and the support of your church, but that is also an admirable degree of determination and self-discipline.
    Many thanks. Having a supportive family is invaluable, as well. Putting up with me when I was at my lowest point (Christmas Day) must have been very difficult.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    JBriskin3 said:

JBRISKIN3'S RELIGIOUS TAKE

You can't create Something from Nothing. That which created Something from Nothing can reasonably be described as God (or indeed VALIS*)

*That's just a sci-fi ref for the nerds. There is indeed a God.

Something from nothing is just what happens all the time of course. It may actually be the most common phenonomon in the universe. That'd be a thing though - the most wrong ever post on PB!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

I think too that Leon's need for belief in God, if not the need to diss those who don't need him, rests more on what he has written about his own battles for wellbeing. And therefore I shall leave my input there.

If religion helps your mental health and wellbeing then that's fine. Just keep it to yourself and don't diss those who don't feel the need for it in the same way.

Actually, it is not a need. I was a convinced teenage atheist - utterly scornful of those who “needed” faith. I regarded it as a crutch as you do

Then I did a ton of acid and speed one night and faith kind of overwhelmed me. It erupted INTO me. I was not especially unhappy, I did not ask for it to happen, I did not require it, nor seek it, the revelation was actually quite frightening and destabilising, but also undeniable

Interestingly, the persona of God that I met age 21 on acid in Regents Park is the exact same persona I met on ayahuasca in Ibiza in December of last year, decades later. If anything, He has become more abrasive, and he was never that chummy to begin with
    I had a similar teenaged view - either scorn for those that I thought needed the idea as a crutch, or wariness and antipathy to what I assumd was only acting a means of social control.

I also have a very different view now. What thing I'm certain of is that "god" in no way resembles the personage of most organised religions, or the straw man of the most ardent atheists, either.

One area that I will differ with you on is that I think there is not, and cannot, be anything most fundamentally negative about it - in fact it's its absolute opposite, by definition.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    I've never been of sufficient interest to God for him to show himself to me.....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,377

Heathener said:

May your God go with you

My faith has absolutely zero to do with life-after-death

So Larkin, despite being a genius poet, is wrong here
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    JBriskin3 said:

You can't create Something from Nothing. That which created Something from Nothing can reasonably be described as God (or indeed VALIS*)

Physics says you can, and it happens all the time.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Omnium said:

If God ever posts on PB he'll have a hell of a time.

The difference between @Leon and God is that God doesn't believe he is @Leon
    The old ones are still the best
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Cookie said:

JBriskin3 said:

I'm kinda intrigued - but I'm not really the bible-bashing type so not really in the mood for a debate on the matter (so to speak)

Thanks for the response though!
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,422
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Agree although it is also a factor that people need to denigrate the beliefs of others "something something of a middlebrow mind..." to try to justify their own beliefs.

Good luck to everyone, frankly. We'll all find our soon enough although given that this is a betting site I can understand why people take the Pascal route...
    Yes, you are right. the “middlebrow” remark was me cheerfully spoiling for a fight, and that is unseemly in this regard. I apologise to the forum

What I was trying to say (before my testosterone got in the way) was that there really is a kind of atheism which just does not grasp WHY people believe, because the atheist mind lacks….. something. It’s not brains. Some of the smartest people in the world are atheist. Hell, possibly a majority.

But trying to explain faith to an atheist is like trying to explain “red” to a blind person. They just lack the faculty. It is no one’s fault.
    speaking of colours I always find it fascinating that we have no way of knowing or experimenting to show that the "red" I see when I see say a tomato is the same "red" as somebody else is seeing. For all anyone knows somebody else could be seeing my "blue" when they see a tomato . They just call it red like I do because thats the colour of a tomato or a fire when in reality humans maybe see all sorts of different colours for the same thing. How do we ever know?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, I would have thought that humans have a predilection towards belief because that conferred survival advantages. Your group, sharing beliefs, looked out for each other. Individuals that lacked that belief gene, were more likely to find themselves alone, being eaten by a lion.

Sure, but it also seems to have a special affinity for the very cruel torture and murder of outgroups - if you look at the reasons for which people get burned or boiled alive and so on, it is disproportionately for being the wrong sort of believer as opposed to doing anything particularly dreadful. This should be a worry
    You just have to observe how heated the arguments on here can become to see the urgent need people have for other people to agree with them, whether it is on politics, the divine or whatever, and people will sometimes take that a bit too far. It's something science has in common with religion, as anyone who has witnessed a scientific feud will attest.

I found myself sat between two scientific luminaries at a conference dinner once, and that was a lively experience.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,461
    edited February 2022
    rcs1000 said:

For the record, it is perfectly possible to make a good holocaust joke:

https://youtu.be/k_3Q9X03Yeg?t=76

Ricky Gervais' holocaust jokes with people laughing, and with gypsies:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUIdrT9eRA
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293
    Roger said:

rcs1000 said:

Applicant said:

kle4 said:

Britain Zemmour can be added to the list.

What an odd choice of comparison - perhaps I'm wrong but id have assumed even in the pool of voters he was swimming in Boris would not be popular.
    I think Zemmour is contrarianing himself out of contention.
    Speaking of which, what happened to @contrarian?
    Shadowbanned, by the look of it.
    @MISTY is the new name for @contrarian

I think he changed name because I kept calling him out for his refusal to admit that Christmas has not been cancelled in Gibraltar.
    Good choice of username then. 'Play Misty for Me' was one of Clint Eastwoods most compelling films. A forerunner of 'Fatal Attraction' about a nutter with identity issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma8FlRoGOwg
    His first as a Director too, I think.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

It is not my rough drunken guess of "seventy billion" (which is itself quite a high number), it is two TRILLION, ie two million million

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2018/10/18/this-is-how-we-know-there-are-two-trillion-galaxies-in-the-universe/?sh=83cced95a67b

Every galaxy contains - on average - 100-200 BILLION stars (some are much smaller, others much bigger)

That is the estimated number of stars in the observable universe, and that number keeps going up the more we explore. And we have only really just started exploring, beyond our own planet. And above this hovers the idea of the multiverse: that we are just one cosmos amongst many many many, or indeed an infinite number

This, I submit, is ONE reason Why Religion. The science of some cheeky vertical monkeys who wank half the day will never be able to comprehend this vastness. This should not stop us trying. But, eeeesh, God is a better answer for much of everyday human life, and indeed much spiritual inspiration. We are meant to believe, so believe, the way we are meant to enjoy booze, so drink

Hm - but I'd guess(?) one of the reasons you find religion easy is that you grew up in an idiom in which believing in God was seen as a reasonable way of making sense of the world.

I didn't, really. I grew up in a going-through-the-motions idiom. We had nominally religious assemblies at primary school, but no-one really believed it. You sung a hymn and said a prayer because that's what you were told to. The teachers no more believed than the children. When a teacher who genuinely did believe turned up - and complained that by messing about we were begrudging God 20 minutes of our day - the blank incomprehension of both children and other teachers was palpable. The unspoken consensus - no, we aren't, because he doesn't exist, not really.

(I also went to Sunday school. But that was just a reason for mum and dad to have a bit of alone time. And actual church gave me the willies. Again, the sincerity gap.)

And so while I was never told there's no God, I never grew up around any sort of sincere belief that God was a thing. I'm not trying to be virtuously atheistic: my atheism is in many ways as circumstantial as others' belief. But it's just not a concept which makes any sort of sense to me personally. It's not easy to believe. It doesn't make any sort of sense. Less sense than the absolutely vast scale of the galaxy and the counter-intuitivity of quantum physics, anyway.

To deny a child the wonderful gift of Faith is as bad, to me, as forcing on them some grotesque fundamentalist creed: Wahhabism or Wee Free Presbyterianism or whatever

Faith is an enormous solace, and we are hard wired for it. We are MEANT to believe. It helps you cope. There is a reason why NA and AA are the most proven and successful means of quitting major addictions, they both rely on a belief in a Higher Power. You surrender to the God that will save you. And it works. Better than fucking methadone. And I have tried both

And it works because it utilizes an algo-module already in our heads. The God module

My advice, if you are atheist but seek faith, is try ayahuasca. If it is anything like the wild shit I did in Ibiza in December you will emerge a believer
    Recovering as a I am from a major bout of depression, I can attest that having the support of a friendly church is invaluable.
    Very happy to hear that.
    Thanks. I think the root cause of my depression was excess drinking. I've been teetotal since 1st December.
    ooh, hello Sean - I was reminiscing about you (amongst others) in a discussion of early posters on pb.com the other night.
    Sorry to hear about your depression and pleased to hear you are now recovering.
    I also suffered from a bout of depression last year, and stopping drinking was part of my way out of it. I never drank particularly heavily, but I very rarely had a day without alcohol.
    Relieved of my depression, I did start drinking again, in a low key way, 6 months later. But I give myself far more days off than I used to.
    Thanks. In my case, it was one to one and a half bottles of wine, each and every day. I think it dulled my mind to a number of problems which I'm gradually working my way through. I panicked when I first woke up to the scale of the problems.
    I find it genuinely inspiring that you were a) at the stage of panicking when you woke up to the scale of your problems, and b) recovered to the stage where you are working your way back again.

That is not drinking, and the support of your church, but that is also an admirable degree of determination and self-discipline.
    Many thanks. Having a supportive family is invaluable, as well. Putting up with me when I was at my lowest point (Christmas Day) must have been very difficult.
    Good luck - and God speed!

There is, SCIENTIFICALLY SPEAKING, no question that religious faith and - even better - a supportive church (or NA/AA group) is the most reliably successful way out of addiction and associated depression

The Serenity Prayer works
  • Options
    HarrzHarrz Posts: 3
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

What an odd choice of comparison - perhaps I'm wrong but id have assumed even in the pool of voters he was swimming in Boris would not be popular.
    He is though splitting the Le Pen vote, enabling Pecresse to come through the middle to reach the runoff with Macron. Pecresse could then beat Macron if most Zemmour and Le Pen voters back her in the runoff and Melenchon voters stay home rather than vote for the President
    I wouldn't take it as read that Mélenchon will win the 500 nominations (parrainages) needed to make it through to the first round. In 2017 he had the backing of the Communist Party, but this time they are fielding their own candidate, Fabien Roussel (currently polling ~4%). The PCF has over 1000 mayors, and it is mayors who make up the vast majority of the pool of potential nominators.

Marine Le Pen may not bag 500 either. Last time she stood out from the other major candidates in that most of her parrains were regional councillors, not mayors - and the FN/RN lost a lot of council seats in last year's elections.

As for Eric Zemmour, LR have been saying off the record that they'll throw some parrainages in his direction if he needs them, but a) most mayors are fairly long in the tooth and I would imagine capable of being fairly obdurate, even those who are LR-affiliated rather than independent - and this kind of fun and games would be a new venture in French politics and perhaps not as certain to be successful as some pundits seem to believe, and b) twixt cup and lip - Zemmour's finger flip in Marseilles suggests he could easily have a Gillian Duffy moment.

I'm on Anne Hidalgo (you don't get to be mayor of Paris without having a spine), because if it turns out that Mélenchon falters in the zeroth round then she's the candidate who will benefit; and on Nicolas Dupont-Aignan (currently polling ~2%) for similar reasons on the right, in case Le Pen - or less likely, Zemmour - fails to win enough nominations.

Parrains so far:

MACRON Emmanuel 529
    PÉCRESSE Valérie 324
    HIDALGO Anne 266
    ROUSSEL Fabien 159
    ARTHAUD Nathalie 138
    LASSALLE Jean 124
    MÉLENCHON Jean-Luc 100
    JADOT Yannick 80
    DUPONT-AIGNAN Nicolas 77
    ZEMMOUR Éric 58
    ASSELINEAU François 56
    POUTOU Philippe 54
    LE PEN Marine 35

• Options
    Have we resolved the existence or otherwise of God and the nature of any afterlife yet?

It'd be pretty useful to get to a clear conclusion on these points, but I can't be bothered scrolling through the comments to establish if that's happened yet.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

As an aside, I would have thought that humans have a predilection towards belief because that conferred survival advantages. Your group, sharing beliefs, looked out for each other. Individuals that lacked that belief gene, were more likely to find themselves alone, being eaten by a lion.

Sure, but it also seems to have a special affinity for the very cruel torture and murder of outgroups - if you look at the reasons for which people get burned or boiled alive and so on, it is disproportionately for being the wrong sort of believer as opposed to doing anything particularly dreadful. This should be a worry
    You just have to observe how heated the arguments on here can become to see the urgent need people have for other people to agree with them, whether it is on politics, the divine or whatever, and people will sometimes take that a bit too far. It's something science has in common with religion, as anyone who has witnessed a scientific feud will attest.

I found myself sat between two scientific luminaries at a conference dinner once, and that was a lively experience.
    Scientists waat others to agree with them but they don't want somebody claiming they agree because they thought it first! Newton v Liebnitz I think on Calculus etc
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Agree although it is also a factor that people need to denigrate the beliefs of others "something something of a middlebrow mind..." to try to justify their own beliefs.

Good luck to everyone, frankly. We'll all find our soon enough although given that this is a betting site I can understand why people take the Pascal route...
    Yes, you are right. the “middlebrow” remark was me cheerfully spoiling for a fight, and that is unseemly in this regard. I apologise to the forum

What I was trying to say (before my testosterone got in the way) was that there really is a kind of atheism which just does not grasp WHY people believe, because the atheist mind lacks….. something. It’s not brains. Some of the smartest people in the world are atheist. Hell, possibly a majority.

But trying to explain faith to an atheist is like trying to explain “red” to a blind person. They just lack the faculty. It is no one’s fault.
    As I said earlier, to this atheist the discussion about faith qua faith, ie apart from its historical, artistic, social, cultural and economic influence (all super interesting of course) is a huge waste of time. I have seen Graun CiF threads which basically come down to oh yes there is oh no there isn't.

If you believe great. If you are saying that it is a failing not to believe as though your mind is not sufficiently able to comprehend god then that is interesting. A heroin trip, for example (here am I talking to you about heroin trips, next I'll be telling @Dura all about carburetors) makes one believe all sort of things. If during a heroin trip you became convinced that fire-breathing dragons existed, would it be a failure of their imagination and mental capacity if other people refused to believe that they did.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Redfield poll is relatively good for Starmer albeit he still has a lot more work to do.

Best PM rating is interesting: Starmer vs Johnson, 40% to 33%, Starmer vs Sunak 40% to 38%.

On that poll it makes no difference whether Sunak or Johnson is party leader then in terms of outcome, if the best PM figures are taken to roughly equate to voting intention.

It would be a hung parliament either way. Just with Johnson Labour would win most seats whereas with Sunak the Tories would win most seats but Starmer would still become PM with SNP support.

Sunak would save some Tory MPs' seats, he would not however stop a Labour government
    You simply cannot see the disaster that is Boris, the damage he is doing to the party and country, and by some addiction to an opinion poll you draw a conclusion that is not at all certain, but is primarily influenced by your horror that Boris is not fit to be Prime Minister
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    edited February 2022
    I do l ike the photo accompanying the story of Macron and Putin meeting, showing them sat alone at a table without about 25ft between them. Diplomats love visual symbolism, probably readying for a close in shot if agreement is reached.

I had been pondering what 'concession' would save face for Putin in all this, but now I'm more wondering what Macron (or anyone else) could offer by way of concession from Putin - since he insists he doesn't want to invade and is not planning to, a lack of invasion is not an official concession that can be given, so they'd need something else from him.
  • Options

I've never been of sufficient interest to God for him to show himself to me.....

Good to put that on your grave i reckon
  • Options
    Harrz said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

He is though splitting the Le Pen vote, enabling Pecresse to come through the middle to reach the runoff with Macron. Pecresse could then beat Macron if most Zemmour and Le Pen voters back her in the runoff and Melenchon voters stay home rather than vote for the President
    I wouldn't take it as read that Mélenchon will win the 500 nominations (parrainages) needed to make it through to the first round. In 2017 he had the backing of the Communist Party, but this time they are fielding their own candidate, Fabien Roussel (currently polling ~4%). The PCF has over 1000 mayors, and it is mayors who make up the vast majority of the pool of potential nominators.

Marine Le Pen may not bag 500 either. Last time she stood out from the other major candidates in that most of her parrains were regional councillors, not mayors - and the FN/RN lost a lot of council seats in last year's elections.

As for Eric Zemmour, LR have been saying off the record that they'll throw some parrainages in his direction if he needs them, but a) most mayors are fairly long in the tooth and I would imagine capable of being fairly obdurate, even those who are LR-affiliated rather than independent - and this kind of fun and games would be a new venture in French politics and perhaps not as certain to be successful as some pundits seem to believe, and b) twixt cup and lip - Zemmour's finger flip in Marseilles suggests he could easily have a Gillian Duffy moment.

I'm on Anne Hidalgo (you don't get to be mayor of Paris without having a spine), because if it turns out that Mélenchon falters in the zeroth round then she's the candidate who will benefit; and on Nicolas Dupont-Aignan (currently polling ~2%) for similar reasons on the right, in case Le Pen - or less likely, Zemmour - fails to win enough nominations.

Parrains so far:

MACRON Emmanuel 529
    PÉCRESSE Valérie 324
    HIDALGO Anne 266
    ROUSSEL Fabien 159
    ARTHAUD Nathalie 138
    LASSALLE Jean 124
    MÉLENCHON Jean-Luc 100
    JADOT Yannick 80
    DUPONT-AIGNAN Nicolas 77
    ZEMMOUR Éric 58
    ASSELINEAU François 56
    POUTOU Philippe 54
    LE PEN Marine 35

Fascinating rule. Makes me wonder how Macron managed it last time as an outsider - things muyst have been really really bad for traditional parties.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Segueing from which

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/07/rishi-sunaks-alcohol-tax-rise-will-wipe-brexit-benefits/

Being teetotal is one thing, but cranking up the price for everyone else suggests a failure to learn one of the lessons of partygate. Which admittedly wasn't much of a thing when he did the cranking. This has to change if Sunak wants the gig.
    Rishi Sunak would be only our second Prime Minister to have attended Winchester school (or "college" as posh schools style themselves). The first was Henry Addington, who made the first budget speech, and who abolished income tax by taxing beer instead. I'm sensing a theme.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

speaking of colours I always find it fascinating that we have no way of knowing or experimenting to show that the "red" I see when I see say a tomato is the same "red" as somebody else is seeing. For all anyone knows somebody else could be seeing my "blue" when they see a tomato . They just call it red like I do because thats the colour of a tomato or a fire when in reality humans maybe see all sorts of different colours for the same thing. How do we ever know?
    What you are talking about are qualia in philosophical jargon, in case you want to google the subject
  • Options
    Another twist:

David Goodwillie was discharged from bankruptcy days before signing for Raith Rovers without paying his victim a penny of the £100,000 court-ordered compensation.

Meanwhile, it is understood he is negotiating a pay-off of around £150,000 from Stark’s Park after the Fife club U-turned on his signing after four days of crushing criticism.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/david-goodwillie-pay-off/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
  • Options

That's genius, I may steal it.
  • Options

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Well, of course, many people don't see the same colours.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/30/im-really-just-high-on-life-and-beauty-the-woman-who-can-see-100-million-colours
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

As I said earlier, to this atheist the discussion about faith qua faith, ie apart from its historical, artistic, social, cultural and economic influence (all super interesting of course) is a huge waste of time. I have seen Graun CiF threads which basically come down to oh yes there is oh no there isn't.

If you believe great. If you are saying that it is a failing not to believe as though your mind is not sufficiently able to comprehend god then that is interesting. A heroin trip, for example (here am I talking to you about heroin trips, next I'll be telling @Dura all about carburetors) makes one believe all sort of things. If during a heroin trip you became convinced that fire-breathing dragons existed, would it be a failure of their imagination and mental capacity if other people refused to believe that they did.
    You don’t “trip” on heroin. You are just absorbed into a cocoon of painless mild euphoria. You don’t care about anything. All anxiety and boredom is dispelled. It is a brilliant drug, in that respect, and the sensation is languorously wonderful

This is one thing that spooks me about these new synthetic opioids, if they can mimic the high of heroin but be 50 times as addictive due to a far worse withdrawal etc etc then we are fucked as a species
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think that is right. I would go with FPNs for the imbeciles who think that it is really really important that NICs are not held in a separate fund, but burning alive - nope.
  • Options
    Scottish Liberal Democrats on uptick (klaxon Ross).
    But on the other hand, strong Con showing in Midlands (klaxon Starmer).

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

(Deltapoll; Sample Size: 1,587; Fieldwork: 3- 4 February 2022)
  • Options
    Sky just reporting on the Guto - Boris first meeting and the sing song 'I will survive'

Jon Craig is openly mocking them live on Sky

It is sickening and if his mps think this is a good look and evidence of change then they are world champions at mistaking the view in the country

Type those letters tonight and end this embarrassment
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

What if we don't have enough different words for types of blue in our particular language? Would we even see the difference between cyan and aquamarine and periwinkle?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

What you are talking about are qualia in philosophical jargon, in case you want to google the subject
    And once you know that there are all sorts of helpful conclusions... Ok, so none.
  • Options

"Told you I was bonkers!"
  • Options
    Omnium said:

JBriskin3 said:

Something from nothing is just what happens all the time of course. It may actually be the most common phenonomon in the universe. That'd be a thing though - the most wrong ever post on PB!
    Indeed. No quantum foam in Briskinworld.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

JBriskin3 said:

The quantum vacuum isn't nothing.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

Ah the infamous Scottish subsample.

I get the Coalition on <50pc - and given the amount of idiot unionists that vote for them it's probably 55 v 45 again.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

Heathener said:

May your God go with you

That's a very good poem by Larkin. And I think 'faith' is indeed a response to the feelings described in it. Which is why I don't view it negatively.
  • Options

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

Union 51% Independence 48%
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    TOPPING said:

Talking about unknowables I have now watched a few videos of the Emirates ad together with some more about the Burj Khalifa itself which feature people casually hanging onto the side of it at the very top.

How the fuckety fucking fuck do they do that and why. You wouldn't get me to do that for all the tea in China. Funniest bit? There they are carabinered onto the outside of the building 800m high and each of them is wearing a crappy helmet made out of plastic.

Don’t watch the videos about the window cleaners, or the guy who services the aviation lights and lightning conductor that are right at the top!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101
    kle4 said:

Harrz said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Parrains so far:

MACRON Emmanuel 529
    PÉCRESSE Valérie 324
    HIDALGO Anne 266
    ROUSSEL Fabien 159
    ARTHAUD Nathalie 138
    LASSALLE Jean 124
    MÉLENCHON Jean-Luc 100
    JADOT Yannick 80
    DUPONT-AIGNAN Nicolas 77
    ZEMMOUR Éric 58
    ASSELINEAU François 56
    POUTOU Philippe 54
    LE PEN Marine 35

Fascinating rule. Makes me wonder how Macron managed it last time as an outsider - things muyst have been really really bad for traditional parties.
    Initially he leveraged the base of the Socialist Party and then picked up support from LR when his bandwaggon got rolling. The majority of the first batch of signatures he got were from the left.

https://www.leparisien.fr/politique/parrainages-le-profil-des-premiers-soutiens-d-emmanuel-macron-02-03-2017-6726366.php
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

TO put it in physical terms there are more stars out there than grains of sand on all the Earth's beaches!
    Yes.

Unlike Leon I don't see the vastness of the universe as a reason for believing in God but I think we've had this kind of discussion on here before.

I look up at the stars above and I'm filled with wonder. I find it comforting to think I am nothing and I will return to nothing. The universe will go on through timespans that make us seem even smaller than one of those grains of sand you mention.

Only Zaphod Beeblebrox managed to out-ego the universe. And Boris Johnson, obvs.
    It isn't really that interesting. There's lots of things, some very big and far away. Wooo.
    Well I agree.

I wrote my 'Yawn' before reading this.
    You literally wrote: “the universe: YAWN”

Consider which approach might be the more diseased

Atheism is a tragic cul de sac of the frightened middlebrow mind
    Atheism and disinterested agnosticism is also a symptom of the decline of self confidence in the West.

Atheism combined with contempt for your nation's history. If you look at growing economies and growing nations, Nigeria, Brazil, India etc they are all religious. The least religious parts of the US however are also generally the most Woke and least patriotic.

Even Putin recognises the strength of the Orthodox Church in entrenching pride in Russia (not that he is really a Christian of much devotion). China is atheist but then it has its own alternative religion ie devotion to the Communist Party as the backbone of China
    Wow.

Do you really believe the shit you post?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Ummm.

I find this a curious argument.

Let me explain. With so many stars in the Universe, it seems almost incredibly unlikely that intelligent life does not exist somewhere out there.

But do the aliens of Phobos B 13 share the same God as us? Do they look like us? Do they have a story of a being pinned to a cross?

If we are alone in the Universe, I would think that pretty much guarantees the existence of God, who created man in his image. It would be a Universe that existed just for us.

But it we are not, then who is to say that the beings of Althos XII are not the ones whose creation story (whatever that might be) is right?
    Yep.

The Church has consistently been a block to the advance of science and I suspect that when humans eventually encounter intelligent life out there it will shatter the faith of many believers. Certainly Christianity anyway. Islam is in a marginally better position because it doesn't believe any single human being was (is) God incarnate ... which is so ludicrous as to be laughable.

Buddhism will remain as cool as ever.
    Has it? Some of the greatest scientists of all time eg Newton, Boyle, Faraday, Mendel were very religious.

I don't see how encountering alien life or not has the slightest impact on whether Jesus Christ was the son of God and the Messiah or not, there are 7 billion humans on earth, Christ was only a middle eastern man. He came to save humanity whether or not there are aliens or not or whether or not he also saved them is completely irrelevant to that for me as a Christian. Not that we have encountered any aliens yet anyway
    Never really understood how he saved us. It would be nice if 100% of the evidence were not self-made. I would guess that at least 100s of millions have died a markedly nastier death than his as a direct result of his teachings, and without the consolation of the knowledge/manic delusion they were Saving All Mankind, so where that leaves us I am not sure.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

What if we don't have enough different words for types of blue in our particular language? Would we even see the difference between cyan and aquamarine and periwinkle?
    Some Amazonian languages only have a present tense. There is absolutely no sense of a past or a future.

“We are gathering honey”. “Look at the moon. Moon.” “Now you have opened my soft thighs and you are fucking me”.

A dizzyingly different way of being human. It might in some ways be better. After all, we are told constantly it is better to live in the moment, These Amazonian blokes don’t stop fucking each other to go on their iPhones and temporally memorialize the moment on Instagram for likes
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

TO put it in physical terms there are more stars out there than grains of sand on all the Earth's beaches!
    Yes.

Unlike Leon I don't see the vastness of the universe as a reason for believing in God but I think we've had this kind of discussion on here before.

I look up at the stars above and I'm filled with wonder. I find it comforting to think I am nothing and I will return to nothing. The universe will go on through timespans that make us seem even smaller than one of those grains of sand you mention.

Only Zaphod Beeblebrox managed to out-ego the universe. And Boris Johnson, obvs.
    It isn't really that interesting. There's lots of things, some very big and far away. Wooo.
    Well I agree.

Atheism and disinterested agnosticism is also a symptom of the decline of self confidence in the West.

Atheism combined with contempt for your nation's history. If you look at growing economies and growing nations, Nigeria, Brazil, India etc they are all religious. The least religious parts of the US however are also generally the most Woke and least patriotic.

Even Putin recognises the strength of the Orthodox Church in entrenching pride in Russia (not that he is really a Christian of much devotion). China is atheist but then it has its own alternative religion ie devotion to the Communist Party as the backbone of China
    Wow.

I have absolutely no doubt he does and not only that, he has never been known to accept he is wrong
  • Options

Redfield & Wilton.

Westminster Voting Intention (7 Feb):

Labour 42% (+2)
    Conservative 32% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 9% (-2)
    Green 6% (–)
    Scottish National Party 4% (–)
    Reform UK 4% (+1)
    Other 3% (+1)

Changes +/- 31 Jan

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1490732152404779008

@HYUFD please explain!

@bigjohnowls ditto!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Don’t watch the videos about the window cleaners, or the guy who services the aviation lights and lightning conductor that are right at the top!
    Here's John Noakes helping to clean Nelson's Column. They don't make TV presenters like they used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZ-h70IK9s
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Ummm.

Let me explain. With so many stars in the Universe, it seems almost incredibly unlikely that intelligent life does not exist somewhere out there.

But do the aliens of Phobos B 13 share the same God as us? Do they look like us? Do they have a story of a being pinned to a cross?

If we are alone in the Universe, I would think that pretty much guarantees the existence of God, who created man in his image. It would be a Universe that existed just for us.

But it we are not, then who is to say that the beings of Althos XII are not the ones whose creation story (whatever that might be) is right?
    Yep.

The Church has consistently been a block to the advance of science and I suspect that when humans eventually encounter intelligent life out there it will shatter the faith of many believers. Certainly Christianity anyway. Islam is in a marginally better position because it doesn't believe any single human being was (is) God incarnate ... which is so ludicrous as to be laughable.

Has it? Some of the greatest scientists of all time eg Newton, Boyle, Faraday, Mendel were very religious.

I don't see how encountering alien life or not has the slightest impact on whether Jesus Christ was the son of God and the Messiah or not, there are 7 billion humans on earth, Christ was only a middle eastern man. He came to save humanity whether or not there are aliens or not or whether or not he also saved them is completely irrelevant to that for me as a Christian. Not that we have encountered any aliens yet anyway
    Never really understood how he saved us. It would be nice if 100% of the evidence were not self-made. I would guess that at least 100s of millions have died a markedly nastier death than his as a direct result of his teachings, and without the consolation of the knowledge/manic delusion they were Saving All Mankind, so where that leaves us I am not sure.
    It's the Thought that counts?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I don't think I was denied faith.
    My parents are, I think, atheists, though it's not a thing we've ever discussed - but they've certainly never tried to pass on their atheism. I dutifully encountered religion at school. But it was never terribly convincing, and the few people I met who were genuinely and outwardly convinced of God were all rather odd.

Even as far back as the 1970s, religion in mainstream urban Britain was - well, not exactly sidelined, but an anachronism we persisted with but weren't entirely sure why - like soup spoons or ties.

I agree we have a god module in our heads though. There's an evolutionary biologist whose name now escapes me who is quite interesting on that - his view is that tribes which 'did' religion thrived, because they reinforced group identity - and thus outcompeted those tribes which did not, and those without the god module.

I don't really seek faith - it strikes me as an inconvenience and a potential source of unwanted existential terror - but I am interested in it. I am an atheist, but that it is a statement of fact rather than an angry badge of identity, and I am genuinely curious about religious belief.

Could the experience of ayahuasca not equally well make you think 'I have taken a hallucinogenic drug which is having strange effects on my brain'?
    That's very similar to my view. And I really think it's important to note that what I have is absence of belief, not belief of absence. I don't go around actively disbelieving in God - which is what so many religious people seem to think atheists do (and I guess in the case of Dawkins, it's true) - I simply don't have any active belief in him.
  • Options

Sky just reporting on the Guto - Boris first meeting and the sing song 'I will survive'

Jon Craig is openly mocking them live on Sky

It is sickening and if his mps think this is a good look and evidence of change then they are world champions at mistaking the view in the country

Type those letters tonight and end this embarrassment

i hope he did not try and dance to . Imagine that going to work on your first day and your boss starts singing I will survive to you and starts jiving. How David Brent can you get?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Yes.

Well I agree.

Wow.

It's fascinating to learn atheism combines with contempt for the nation's history. I must have misremembered so many of my own posts.

Not as fascinating as "China is atheist but then it has its own alternative religion ie devotion to the Communist Party as the backbone of China" though. If only I could think of an example of religious devotion to a political party, regardless of leader or policy, as the backbone of this country.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,468
    TOPPING said:

I don't know if I'm just an oddity, but I have pretty much no fear of heights, but a very definte fear of falling. I'd happily hang off the side of that tower if attached to a safety rope, I think - never been that high, but have done climbs/abseils at 100m or more. But I'm not all that happy about getting up to roof level on my two storey house on a ladder, which is -what? - 5m or so.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,856

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Yes.

Well I agree.

Wow.

I have absolutely no doubt he does and not only that, he has never been known to accept he is wrong
    Not true. He did admit he made a mistake a few days back (writing that the Scottish Army had allied with the Parliament against Cromwell, or something of the sort), and again in a discussion with @ydoethur .
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

You don’t “trip” on heroin. You are just absorbed into a cocoon of painless mild euphoria. You don’t care about anything. All anxiety and boredom is dispelled. It is a brilliant drug, in that respect, and the sensation is languorously wonderful

This is one thing that spooks me about these new synthetic opioids, if they can mimic the high of heroin but be 50 times as addictive due to a far worse withdrawal etc etc then we are fucked as a species
    Yeah having come to opiates late in life and from the NHS they are the most wonderful comfort drug, but I don't get the whole edgy philosophical cathedral of cool built by the likes of Lou Reed on them. OTOH you don't really enjoy cigarettes properly until you are addicted to them, so I imagine it's that plus the illegality.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

I get the Coalition on under 50% - and given the amount of idiot unionists that vote for them it's probably 55 v 45 again.
    So no Scottish Labour voters support independence? That’s a “brave” assumption.

Scottish Governing coalition = 48%
    BetterTogether2 = 34%

Start filling yer breeks.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

My parents are, I think, atheists, though it's not a thing we've ever discussed - but they've certainly never tried to pass on their atheism. I dutifully encountered religion at school. But it was never terribly convincing, and the few people I met who were genuinely and outwardly convinced of God were all rather odd.

Even as far back as the 1970s, religion in mainstream urban Britain was - well, not exactly sidelined, but an anachronism we persisted with but weren't entirely sure why - like soup spoons or ties.

I agree we have a god module in our heads though. There's an evolutionary biologist whose name now escapes me who is quite interesting on that - his view is that tribes which 'did' religion thrived, because they reinforced group identity - and thus outcompeted those tribes which did not, and those without the god module.

I don't really seek faith - it strikes me as an inconvenience and a potential source of unwanted existential terror - but I am interested in it. I am an atheist, but that it is a statement of fact rather than an angry badge of identity, and I am genuinely curious about religious belief.

Could the experience of ayahuasca not equally well make you think 'I have taken a hallucinogenic drug which is having strange effects on my brain'?
    That's very similar to my view. And I really think it's important to note that what I have is absence of belief, not belief of absence. I don't go around actively disbelieving in God - which is what so many religious people seem to think atheists do (and I guess in the case of Dawkins, it's true) - I simply don't have any active belief in him.
    Do you believe in Truth? I.e. that there is a correct scientific explanation for things, even if our current level of understanding is not able to grasp every detail of it?
  • Options

I like to think that God exposed rather than showed himself to Leon.
  • Options

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

Compared with what? Raw lists like this mean little, if anything.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Heathener said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Ummm.

Yep.

He saved us from a fate we learned about from him (and from his predecessor faith). I recall an old gag about missionaries and how the first thing they had to teach was people to feel shame for something, then to teach how to take that shame away :)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

i would say that, based on your description, you're an agnostic, not an atheist. And that the difference between absence of belief and belief of absence is the dividing line between the two.
  • Options
  • Options
    Which of the following do you think would make the best Prime Minister? (1-2 Feb)

Keir Starmer: 35% (n/c from 20-21 Jan)
    Boris Johnson: 25% (n/c)
    Don't know: 36% (n/c)

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2022/02/02/voting-intention-con-32-lab-41-1-2-feb?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=voting_intention https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1490744256650166272/photo/1
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

The Chinese have no distinction between green and brown. It is all Ching dz. Literally nature coloured. Teaching colours in English to toddlers there is somewhat challenging.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Yes.

Well I agree.

Wow.

It's fascinating to learn atheism combines with contempt for the nation's history. I must have misremembered so many of my own posts.

Not as fascinating as "China is atheist but then it has its own alternative religion ie devotion to the Communist Party as the backbone of China" though. If only I could think of an example of religious devotion to a political party, regardless of leader or policy, as the backbone of this country.
    China isn't atheist anyway. It's true that the majority of people do not believe in a creed, defined by a religious hierarchy, but they're not atheist.
  • Options

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

You're extrapolating indy support from a Scotch subsample?
    You're closer to HYUFD than you think.
  • Options

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

Huh?

Deltapoll did not ask that question.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Just started reading Dominion, which seems like it will be quite interesting, since as an atheist it doesn't seem unlikely to me that it might well be true (as Holland says in the opening) that our present culture can underestimate the impact of Christianity and its development on some pretty basic elements of our culture, which inclines to dimiss religious influences.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

And once you know that there are all sorts of helpful conclusions... Ok, so none.
    It was Kingsley Amis who nailed the fallacy that giving something a Latin name is the same thing as explaining it. "Why is that monk floating unsupported in mid air, mummy?" "That's called levitation, darling."
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Yeah having come to opiates late in life and from the NHS they are the most wonderful comfort drug, but I don't get the whole edgy philosophical cathedral of cool built by the likes of Lou Reed on them. OTOH you don't really enjoy cigarettes properly until you are addicted to them, so I imagine it's that plus the illegality.
    Shelley, Byron and others might have been having slightly different experiences on opium itself, though. That is the origin of a lot of the mythology.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Here's John Noakes helping to clean Nelson's Column. They don't make TV presenters like they used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGZ-h70IK9s
    Ha, I remember watching that as a youngster. No safety ropes, wooden ladders lashed each other and to the side of the column.

Favourite comment from under that video:
    2021: certified high angle training people, documented and inventoried person rated ropes with logs and expiry dates, hard toed boots, hi-visibility vests, hard climbers hats with chin straps, latex gloves and respirators, regulation leather gloves, safety supervisor, traffic control, first aid personnel standby, safety glasses, weather and wind monitors, redundant ropes, certified safety harnesses with rated carabiners...

1976: a turtleneck and a hangover”
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Do you believe in Truth? I.e. that there is a correct scientific explanation for things, even if our current level of understanding is not able to grasp every detail of it?
    I believe that most people are mostly reasonable most of the time.

I come to PB to test my faith.
  • Options
    Real life consequences of fake news https://twitter.com/JackElsom/status/1490741300471160838
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    HUYFD and BigJohnOwls, please explain !
  • Options
    NEW: This month's @IpsosUK Political Pulse shows Sunak and Starmer outscoring Boris Johnson on all but one key leadership attribute... personality.
    Read more here: https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/keir-starmer-and-rishi-sunak-outscore-boris-johnson-host-leadership-traits-little-choose-between https://twitter.com/TrinhIpsosUK/status/1490744801737719813/photo/1
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

I get the Coalition on under 50% - and given the amount of idiot unionists that vote for them it's probably 55 v 45 again.

BetterTogether2 = 34%

Well you've no source for that.

At worst (for the unionists) it's 50/50 on the major issue.

We've been a divided nation since 2014 since your side failed to concede defeat.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    TOPPING said:

The helmet is for falling debris.

Had a very near miss on Stac Pollaidh dislodging rock onto a friend.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,557

Off topic,

I see the Captain Tom Foundation made over £1m last year, but only donated £160k.

Another £160k was consumed in “management fees”.

And to think, someone was convicted (in Scotland) of sending a “grossly offensive” tweet about the dead Captain.

A tweet which, by the way, was far less offensive than Jimmy Carr’s joke about killing gypsies.

16% is not the lowest ratio of charitable work & donations performed by a charity. There are charities where the charitable bit is not visible using a state of the art microscope.
    Yes. For example, most private schools.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Yes.

Well I agree.

Wow.

No. No no no. HYUFD is absolutely right. Atheism really does, very often, combine with contempt for a nation’s history

This is partly because nearly all societies have been religious until at least the late 19th, 20th centuries, but it is still true

The MOST atheistic societies have generally been the most destructive of their own past. The great example is Pol Pot’s Cambodia, which was so atheist it burned down all the temples it found and threw every single Buddhist monk into the sea. It was so atheist it destroyed every single person who knew how to do “sacred Cambodian dance” - one of the great traditions of Indochina before the Khmer Rouge - to the extent that when the atheist commies were finally overthrown there was no one left who knew how to dance. They have had to resurrect it from scratch and a few documents and videos, tricky with a tradition that was handed down over centuries, orally and practically not via written instructions

Another example. The French Revolutionaries stripped bare all their churches and cathedrals, scars that are still highly visible today. A French church is generally much less interesting inside than an English or Italian church, precisely because the French s church was scoured by atheists

See also Mao’s China, and so on
  • Options

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

Two sides of the same fake currency.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Yes.

Well I agree.

Wow.

No. No no no. HYUFD is absolutely right. Atheism really does, very often, combine with contempt for a nation’s history

This is partly because nearly all societies have been religious until at least the late 19th, 20th centuries, but it is still true

The MOST atheistic societies have generally been the most destructive of their own past. The great example is Pol Pot’s Cambodia, which was so atheist it burned down all the temples it found and threw every single Buddhist monk into the sea. It was so atheist it destroyed every single person who knew how to do “sacred Cambodian dance” - one of the great traditions of Indochina before the Khmer Rouge - to the extent that when the atheist commies were finally overthrown there was no one left who knew how to dance. They have had to resurrect it from scratch and a few documents and videos, tricky with a tradition that was handed down over centuries, orally and practically not via written instructions

Another example. The French Revolutionaries stripped bare all their churches and cathedrals, scars that are still highly visible today. A French church is generally much less interesting inside than an English or Italian church, precisely because the French s church was scoured by atheists

Well I grant you, as an atheist, that militant atheists can be among the worst arseholes.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I'm already picturing a BJ fake apology while he smirks away.

'I'm sorry if anyone feels they were pursued by a mob whipped up by a misunderstanding of the very real point I was making'
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    edited February 2022
    R4 PM reporting that Starmer has been escorted into the back of a Met police car What a total numpty!

Another Milliband bacon sandwich moment. What an utter spanner!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    So we can deduce, from all those polls that Labour are drifting slightly upwards, the Conservative, LibDems and Greens slightly downwards.
    What I would like to see is the percentage of those who said they genuinely didn't know, at this point in time, how they were likely to vote next time.
  • Options

Off topic,

I see the Captain Tom Foundation made over £1m last year, but only donated £160k.

And to think, someone was convicted (in Scotland) of sending a “grossly offensive” tweet about the dead Captain.

A tweet which, by the way, was far less offensive than Jimmy Carr’s joke about killing gypsies.

16% is not the lowest ratio of charitable work & donations performed by a charity. There are charities where the charitable bit is not visible using a state of the art microscope.
    Not sure the comparison is fair. Most private schools will be in more or less a steady state, covid and Brexit apart, but the Captain Tom Foundation is new, so maybe they are building up a reserve for future payments. Capital investment for annual dividends.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited February 2022
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Yes.

Well I agree.

Wow.

The choice, though, doesn't have to be between restrictive and very outspoken atheism on the one hand , and strict and dogmatic established religion on the other. We've somewhat fallen into that polarising trap of of one or the other over the last few decades, in our societies in the west, or at least in N Europe and N America.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Yes.

Well I agree.

Wow.

Er, I don't think the Reformers were atheists. Yet look at what happened in England and Scotland. Albeit the former somewhat remedied by the Anglo-Catholic wing of the C of E.
  • Options

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

Well since you're on the subject of Currency - Have you worked out what currency your socialist utopia will be using yet?
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

BetterTogether2 = 34%

We've been a divided nation since 2014 since your side failed to concede defeat.
    Concede defeat?!

In a democracy, you are never “defeated”. All survive to contest the next election. Unless you are advocating that the Yookay abandon democracy?

You’ll be sending round the goons to lock us up.
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Yes.

Well I agree.

Wow.

China isn't atheist anyway. It's true that the majority of people do not believe in a creed, defined by a religious hierarchy, but they're not atheist.
    How would you define Confucianism or Taoism?
    Or Buddhism come to that. AIUI none of them have 'gods' in the sense the Abrahamic religions do.
    Although Buddhists 'sort of genuflect' (if that's the right phrase) towards assorted Hindu deities.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914

BREAKING: Keir Starmer has just been bundled into a police car outside Parliament after a mob of protesters swarmed him.

https://twitter.com/JackElsom/status/1490736516590718977

I just watched a few vids on twitter and the mob mention his prosecuting journalists/Savile.

Not good. Bit Trumpian.
  • Options
    From the Telegraph markets blog:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/02/07/ftse-100-markets-live-news-house-prices-energy/

”The EU is in talks with the US and other gas-supplying countries about increasing deliveries to Europe amid concerns over flows from Russia.

“Ursula von der Leyen, EU Commission President, said: "We are building a partnership for energy security with the United States, which is primarily about more LNG [liquid natural gas] gas supplies.

“"We are talking to other gas suppliers, for example Norway, about increasing their supplies to Europe."

“Tensions between the West and Moscow over Ukraine have fuelled worries about gas supplies at a time when lower-than-normal flows from Russia have already driven a surge in prices.”

Sounds about as urgent as their vaccine rollout this time last year.
  • Options

I like to think that God exposed rather than showed himself to Leon.
    He did! It was like He flashed me, With a trace of contempt. True story
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

Well since you're on the subject of Currency - Have you worked out what currency your socialist utopia will be using yet?
    He'll use same currency as now: the krona.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    edited February 2022

R4 PM reporting that Starmer has been escorted into the back of a Met police car What a total numpty!

Another Milliband bacon sandwich moment. What an utter spanner!

Man gets harassed by a mob of idiots, and you side with.. the idiots.
    Right-o.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Voting intention:

London:

Lab 54%
    Con 27%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    Ref 2%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

Rest of South:

Con 43%
    Lab 32%
    LD 13%
    Grn 7%
    UKIP 3%
    Ref 1%

Midlands:

Con 45%
    Lab 40%
    LD 9%
    Grn 3%
    Ref 1%
    UKIP 1%
    oth 1%

North:

Lab 53%
    Con 27%
    LD 7%
    Grn 5%
    Ref 5%
    UKIP 2%
    oth 1%

Wales:

Lab 46%
    Con 31%
    PC 11%
    LD 9%
    Grn 2%

Scotland:

SNP 46%
    Con 19%
    Lab 18%
    LD 14%
    Grn 2%

BetterTogether2 = 34%

Concede defeat?!

In a democracy, you are never “defeated”. All survive to contest the next election. Unless you are advocating that the Yookay abandon democracy?

You’ll be sending round the goons to lock us up.
    Well Nippy should be in jail for sedition. But it's actually her stormtroopers that drive round in the police vans up here so I'm pretty sure that it's me that should be more fearful than you.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Carnyx said:

Off topic,

Not sure the comparison is fair. Most private schools will be in more or less a steady state, covid and Brexit apart, but the Captain Tom Foundation is new, so maybe they are building up a reserve for future payments. Capital investment for annual dividends.
    Actually, most private schools do stuff like lend their sports facilities to local state schools, and offer bursaries.

One of my daughters schools is planning, by next year to be offering 25% of places for 100% bursaries - they have built up a massive endowment fund to support this.

As I previously mentioned, when the idea of pulling charitable status from private schools came up, the problem was that private schools (in general) do more actual charitable work than a quite a number of large charities.

This discussion has been closed.