Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Only the Telegraph seems to be staying loyal to Johnson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2021 in General
imageOnly the Telegraph seems to be staying loyal to Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Another morning and another set of newspaper front pages with the Mail finding a new line of attack on the government highlighting a “Tory Grandee” who spent weeks in the Caribbean while the Commons was sitting.

Read the full story here

Comments

• WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,480
    edited November 2021
    Yes, dire times for the Tories. I'm beginning to think they may lose at least another five per cent to the Reform Party in the near term, and then stabilise for a while in the very low 'thirties by year's end, and Christmas.
  • swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    It all depends on the `picking a fight with Brussels' tactic which I sense is being readied.... not sure how long this will work for because it fuels the swivel eyed loons but not a good chunk of centre voters (who simply dont trust BJ)... I'd love to know what the Tory grandees are saying over tea and biscuits...
  • I don't think he will fight another election. He has some unfinished business to conclude re Brexit but I could see him departing in 12/18 months.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,096
    p.s. I'm still fairly astonished by the Daily Express. That really is a bell-weather.

And so interesting that Liz Truss was on the front page big time at the weekend. The Express has its finger on the membership pulse ...

Place your bets accordingly?

I don't think he will fight another election. He has some unfinished business to conclude re Brexit but I could see him departing in 12/18 months.

"some unfinished business re Brexit"... thats putting it mildly.
    edited November 2021
    Heathener said:

Johnson's miscalculation about the sleaze is breathtaking. They are STILL thinking it's just a storm in a teacup. They don't seem to realise just how bloody angry this has made people. Their people.

We've spent best part of 2 years under the cosh and his tory MPs don't seem to give a flying fig about the sweat and toil, the hardships, the sacrifices.

On a personal level there are lots of things about this which have incensed me and it's hard to single out one, but the idea that Johnson should fly by private jet from the Glasgow climate change summit in order to have dinner at the Garrick Club with his chum and Telegraph mentor Charles Moore really sticks in the throat. But there are bigger issues than that, over which Boris Johnson is trampling with his usual ebullient, arrogant, blustering, cavalier buffoonery.

This time the turning of the tide is for real.

Indeed. There's something very strange and telling about the disconnection and flat-footedness of the goverment's response so far.

The Opposition would also be particularly well-advised to keep pushing this issue of the 500 million Randox contracts. Not only is there what looks like a very interesting story there, with the company awarded a second tranche of money with no competitive tender after providing faulty PPE equipment first around, and as mentioned, many people have first-hand experience of their faulty testing kits ; but to cap it all yesterday, the new line was that the crucial whatsapp messages for the handing out of the contract have now been deleted "for space-saving reasons".

It's almost as if the opposition have an embarrassment of riches of attacking options to choose from, and the governing party are living in a parallel political universe. Some of the normal rules of political gravity may not apply, in that case.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,724
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    To misquote Cromwell
    In the name of Decency, just go!
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Heathener said:

Johnson's miscalculation about the sleaze is breathtaking. They are STILL thinking it's just a storm in a teacup. They don't seem to realise just how bloody angry this has made people. Their people.

We've spent best part of 2 years under the cosh and his tory MPs don't seem to give a flying fig about the sweat and toil, the hardships, the sacrifices.

On a personal level there are lots of things about this which have incensed me and it's hard to single out one, but the idea that Johnson should fly by private jet from the Glasgow climate change summit in order to have dinner at the Garrick Club with his chum and Telegraph mentor Charles Moore really sticks in the throat. But there are bigger issues than that, over which Boris Johnson is trampling with his usual ebullient, arrogant, blustering, cavalier buffoonery.

Re Mr H's last paragraph. He also 'couldn't be back in London in time' to attend even part of yesterday's debate.
    Whereas in fact he was back shortly after 5, and presumably, since he was on a train, someone could have shown him the debate, or at least the highlights.
    Dodging just seems like cowardice, rather like his 'Heathrow' flight to Afghanistan while he was Foreign Sec.

And cowardice is something which people really, really, don't like.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021
    Heathener said:

Oh jeez Heathener, Boris has lost you?

It really is all over, you've been so effusive in your praise for the Tories before.

If Boris loses kinabalu, roger, Rochdale and malcolmg next then that we may as well do the last rites on his Premiership.
  • Heathener said:

It really is all over, you've been so effusive in your praise for the Tories before.

If Boris loses kinabalu, roger, Rochdale and malcolmg next then that we may as well do the last rites on his Premiership.
    There's clearly a lot of Tory voters who are very angry.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,719

Heathener said:

Unfortunately that isn't going to lead to change unless they cease to be Tory voters as a result.
    edited November 2021

Heathener said:

Are you sure about Malky? Pretty sure he's 'critical' of everyone, so he might vote Tory.

Incidentally, the cold snap of the last few days seems to have ended. Not as bright, though, this morning. Much more like November!
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    As ever a fascinating American focus group from Danny Barefoot in the Virginia election.

https://twitter.com/dannybarefoot/status/1457773727156879379

I posted one of his from the presidential election which showed how terrible the "Defund the Police" slogan was. A roomful of people who completely agreed with the policy goals but voted for Trump because Defind the Police is a the world's stupidest name for the policy.
    edited November 2021
    In the medium-term I think that may mean a gradual dripping of votes to the very helpfully-named Reform Party, but the question will then be how much of that Tory MP's are willing to take, particularly those from the Red Wall seats.
  • Been prescribed medication from the doctor and seeing a counsellor so in a better position than a few days back, thanks for the kind words from you all

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Heathener said:

Oh that's absolutely true.

But having 'the usual suspects' say why they're incensed when they're always incensed is just amusing.

Its like having Scott post an anti-Brexit Tweet - that's a real gamechanger, isn't it? 😂
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Government business by whatsapp is 🤦‍♂️
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

Heathener said:

But having 'the usual suspects' say why they're incensed when they're always incensed is just amusing.

Its like having Scott post an anti-Brexit Tweet - that's a real gamechanger, isn't it? 😂
    Its no more boring than you defaulting to your “we hold all the cards” spiel at every opportunity.

Been prescribed medication from the doctor and seeing a counsellor so in a better position than a few days back, thanks for the kind words from you all

Best of. A good step forward.
    Right so *deep breath* it appears Geoffrey Cox spent April, while Brits were still under lockdown rules, in the Caribbean, voting in parliament over Zoom, earning £100,000s representing a tax haven island *against the British state* over corruption claims?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10179601/Former-attorney-general-Geoffrey-Cox-second-job-saw-vote-remotely-Caribbean.html

In the medium-term I think that may mean a gradual dripping of votes to the very helpfully-named Reform Party, but the question will then be how much of that Tory MP's are willing to take, particularly those from the Red Wall seats.

In other words, re-runs of Hartlepool 2019?
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287

Heathener said:

I have little or no faith in Boris, and I am not one of the usual suspects. I hope he is removed by his MP'S
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Heathener said:

I have little or no faith in Boris, and I am not one of the usual suspects. I hope he is removed by his MP'S
    If there were a general election tomorrow, would you vote Conservative?
    Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

Boris leader.. abstain.. anyone else yes.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2021

Heathener said:

Its no more boring than you defaulting to your “we hold all the cards” spiel at every opportunity.
    But we do hold all the cards. 🤷‍♂️

The difference is I'm not pretending that things have changed. Quite the opposite, I'm quite happy to say I was right four years ago and am still right now - that the UK just needs a backbone it lacked while May and Robbins were in charge and the EU will have no choice but to fold because they're bluffing. Which happened at the end of last year in the TCA negotiations and will happen again regarding Article 16 because they have nothing they can do.

To quote a certain PM I didn't respect "nothing has changed" - I'm not pretending it has, unlike Heathener saying why they're incensed now when they're always incensed.

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

Even if the new leader is one of Johnson's fans?
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Scott_xP said:

Right so *deep breath* it appears Geoffrey Cox spent April, while Brits were still under lockdown rules, in the Caribbean, voting in parliament over Zoom, earning £100,000s representing a tax haven island *against the British state* over corruption claims?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10179601/Former-attorney-general-Geoffrey-Cox-second-job-saw-vote-remotely-Caribbean.html

And so ..... it was not "consultancy" work.

He was working as a barrister.

Personally, I'd be quite happy to ban lawyers/barristers from the House of Commons -- on the grounds that there are already far too many of them -- but if you let them in, it is not clear why they should not continue to practice.
    More signs the EU doesn’t intent to force U.K. breathing space to establish new facts on the ground if they move to unravel NI Protocol. https://twitter.com/mij_europe/status/1457969885020139522

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

Well.. one would have to see who it was but it would have to be someone who had a grain of honesty about them... i know its a stretch with any politician....
    Labour’s @SteveReedMP has written to @michaelgove requesting clarity over whether the whips last week threatened to cut constituency funding for MPs who refused to back the Paterson vote - here’s the letter https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1457975727047987200/photo/1
  • Scott_xP said:

Personally, I'd be quite happy to ban lawyers/barristers from the House of Commons -- on the grounds that there are already far too many of them -- but if you let them in, it is not clear why they should not continue to practice.
    It's also a British dependency so not exactly "against the British state". More one part of it against another. And everyone has the right to legal representation.

Scott_xP said:

You could, I think argue, that as nurses and doctors need to continue to practice, to retain registration and skills, that the same applies to lawyers.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,045

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

The general rule of leadership changes is that the new one provides what the deposed one lacks. Think of someone who has a strong moral character, traditional family life, not tainted by recent sleaze, well groomed etc.

It looks more like Sunak than Truss of the two on overt manoeuvres, but I wouldn't discount Hunt.
    edited November 2021
    From the BBC
    "Housing Secretary Michael Gove has questioned why flat owners should have to pay anything for dangerous cladding to be removed from their buildings."

Popular U-turn coming?
    There has certainly been something severely amiss with the requirements over cladding. Whether it's inadequate regulations or what I don't know, but it does appear innocent citizens have been at best misled and at worst, defrauded.

edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

The general rule of leadership changes is that the new one provides what the deposed one lacks. Think of someone who has a strong moral character, traditional family life, not tainted by recent sleaze, well groomed etc.

It looks more like Sunak than Truss of the two on overt manoeuvres, but I wouldn't discount Hunt.
    tim would go nuts if it was Hunt
    edited November 2021
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Heathener said:

Tend to agree. Although I've have my doubts about Sunak.

Although I'm extremely unlikely to vote Tory, especially as I live in the Witham constituency!
    Sunak=Barber
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,079

Heathener said:

So we all have to keep quiet until you come out against the clown?
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited November 2021

Sunak=Barber

We wish!
    Instead he is putting taxes up and has effectively cancelled “levelling up”.

He would still be my preference over Truss, though. She is just a mini-Boris.

Scott_xP said:

You could, I think argue, that as nurses and doctors need to continue to practice, to retain registration and skills, that the same applies to lawyers.
    Agreed.

"Consultancy" work should be banned, though I can see that it may be difficult in practice to define it in a really water-tight manner.

If an MP is doing excessive additional work outside their duties as an MP, than that is, in my opinion, a matter for the MPs' constituents. They have the option to throw him/her out at the next General.

A blanket ban on any more solicitors and barristers becoming MPs is something I could really support ... far too many of them infesting the HoC. More diversity, please.
    Scott_xP said:

More signs the EU doesn’t intent to force U.K. breathing space to establish new facts on the ground if they move to unravel NI Protocol. https://twitter.com/mij_europe/status/1457969885020139522

Interesting change of strategy from the EU.
    I guess they believe attack is the best form of defence.

Yup.

BoZo and Frosty think the EU will fold in the face of their bluster.

I think they are about to be disabused of that notion...
  • IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Did you miss my thread header doing so?

Scott_xP said:

Agreed.

"Consultancy" work should be banned, though I can see that it may be difficult in practice to define it in a really water-tight manner.

If an MP is doing excessive additional work outside their duties as an MP, than that is, in my opinion, a matter for the MPs' constituents. They have the option to throw him/her out at the next General.

A blanket ban on any more solicitors and barristers becoming MPs is something I could really support ... far too many of them infesting the HoC. More diversity, please.
    What, materially, is the difference between “consultancy” and “lawyering”? I couldn’t say myself.

The issue for Cox is less the lawyering, and more the being in a tropical island for weeks on end instead of doing his day job.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    On levelling up:

Much is written on here and elsewhere about 'levelling up'. There is a great deal of cynicism and doubt that it means anything.

Here in Cambridgeshire, it increasingly looks as though the March to Wisbech railway line will reopen - perhaps by 2028. Whilst that is after the next election, initial ?exploratory? works are already underway.

Before anyone says 'Wisbech isn't the north!'; it is a relatively poor town (it has a significant issue with child poverty), with poor transport links - the single-carriageway A47 bring the main link. If the A47 dualling is funded as well, then these transport links will be transformative for the town and its area.

This will get noticed.
  • Sunak=Barber

We wish!

Sunak is unpopular with the party members for obvious reasons. And things are going to get worse for him before they get better.

Truss offers Johnsonism without the worst personal excesses of Johnson, which might be a potent (if unhelpful) pitch.
    edited November 2021

Scott_xP said:

Agreed.

What, materially, is the difference between “consultancy” and “lawyering”? I couldn’t say myself.

The issue for Cox is less the lawyering, and more the being in a tropical island for weeks on end instead of doing his day job.

About £1000 a day, I think.
  • Scott_xP said:

Yup.

BoZo and Frosty think the EU will fold in the face of their bluster.

I think they are about to be disabused of that notion...
    They will, the EU are bluffing. They have nothing they can do, the UK will change the facts on the ground and that will be that, the EU are incapable of doing so.
    edited November 2021

Sunak=Barber

We wish!

Sunak is unpopular with the party members for obvious reasons. And things are going to get worse for him before they get better.

Truss offers Johnsonism without the worst personal excesses of Johnson, which might be a potent (if unhelpful) pitch.
    Yes, and also Johnsonism with an apparent northern working-class voice - although her background is in fact very middle-class, much the same in that respect as Sunak's.

He was recorded as arriving in the territory on April 26, when the Commons was debating global anti-corruption sanctions

Cox did not respond to a request from The Times for comment

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1457978989687939076

If you wanted to get really angry with fuller quotes from Raab’s defence in @TimesRadio of Geoffrey Cox doing his job as MP from 4,000 miles awayhttps://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1457981188790964225/photo/1
    edited November 2021

On levelling up:

Much is written on here and elsewhere about 'levelling up'. There is a great deal of cynicism and doubt that it means anything.

Here in Cambridgeshire, it increasingly looks as though the March to Wisbech railway line will reopen - perhaps by 2028. Whilst that is after the next election, initial ?exploratory? works are already underway.

Before anyone says 'Wisbech isn't the north!'; it is a relatively poor town (it has a significant issue with child poverty), with poor transport links - the single-carriageway A47 bring the main link. If the A47 dualling is funded as well, then these transport links will be transformative for the town and its area.

This will get noticed.

Was there recently several Polish shops and looked pretty run down but some lovely old buildings there. We didn't stay long. In its heyday I suspect it would have been lovely..
    edited November 2021

Scott_xP said:

Agreed.

By the way, what’s your view on the proposed changes to the Welsh curriculum.

Wales really looks like a failed state. Crap education, crap infrastructure, crap economy.
  • Heathener said:

And thats fine. Its just that in attacking us / the Daily Express et al you are providing tacit support to Geoffrey Cox. Who trousered your money. To sit all expenses paid in the Caribbean. Trousering even more money. To defend a British colony who have been trousering yet more money.

Its an odd hill to defend, even for you.
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Agreed.

Letting voters decide really requires constituencies with multi member STV. Any system of FPTP with 75% safe seats or list PR means that parties, not voters, decides who represents.
    Agreed. I am for the voters, not the parties.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Walker, if only the EU were so proactive at implementing the trusted trader scheme they're meant to be doing.
  • F1: bad news: the sprint race bullshit returns to contaminate the excellent Brazilian Grand Prix.

On levelling up:

This will get noticed.

Was there recently several Polish shops and looked pretty run down but some lovely old buildings there. We didn't stay long.
    There are some superb Georgian buildings, especially along the waterfront. But much of it is rather rundown. There is, in particular, a children's playground on a scrap of grass, very unkempt, with (from memory) just one set of swings beside some pallisade fencing.

Wisbech could be a gem. But it is very much in the middle of the sticks, with poor connectivity.

Although personally, I think they should rebuild the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway. Bring back Tpby! ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisbech_and_Upwell_Tramway
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Agreed.

Letting voters decide really requires constituencies with multi member STV. Any system of FPTP with 75% safe seats or list PR means that parties, not voters, decides who represents.
    Agreed. I am for the voters, not the parties.
    Can't argue with that, but within the realms of a fairly elected sovereign parliament. But, no government by plebiscite thank you very much.

As an aside little Alun is doing OK for himself. £60k of hard- worked bonuses each year. Nice work if you can get it
  • Scott_xP said:

Seems reasonable. We have (or had) a credible military threat to deter the Russians. The UK is set on a trade war. Aside from the reality that trade wars end with chunks out of both sides and status quo ante, the EU also know that as the larger party they will be able to smash the UK into the ground in such a war.

The problem on the UK side is that they don't understand trade. Or diplomacy. Or stuff. And they are cheered on by "just Trigger A16, we hold all the cards" frothers so think it can work. The EU are going to detail exactly what such a trade war will do to us. And at the end of it? Crawling back to the negotiating table trying to reset things back to where they are now.

I'm not sure how food shortages and higher prices helps save Boris. you can't feed sovrinty to your kids for dinner.

On levelling up:

This will get noticed.

Was there recently several Polish shops and looked pretty run down but some lovely old buildings there. We didn't stay long.
    There are some superb Georgian buildings, especially along the waterfront. But much of it is rather rundown. There is, in particular, a children's playground on a scrap of grass, very unkempt, with (from memory) just one set of swings beside some pallisade fencing.

Wisbech could be a gem. But it is very much in the middle of the sticks, with poor connectivity.

Although personally, I think they should rebuild the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway. Bring back Tpby! ;)

The future for places like Wisbech is as commuter dormitories for the local “metro”, which would be Cambridge in this case.

I see there is an occasionally 30 minute connection by train…
  • Heathener said:

And thats fine. Its just that in attacking us / the Daily Express et al you are providing tacit support to Geoffrey Cox. Who trousered your money. To sit all expenses paid in the Caribbean. Trousering even more money. To defend a British colony who have been trousering yet more money.

I'm not defending Cox, or other lawyer MPs who've been trousering money on the side of being an MP, whether they be a backbencher like Cox, or the Leader of the Opposition.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,079

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Did you miss my thread header doing so?
    Then we're all good to go!

If the same ordinance had applied during Corbyn's leadership, we'd have had years of very short threads
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,690
    Scott_xP said:

He was recorded as arriving in the territory on April 26, when the Commons was debating global anti-corruption sanctions

If you wanted to get really angry with fuller quotes from Raab’s defence in @TimesRadio of Geoffrey Cox doing his job as MP from 4,000 miles awayhttps://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1457981188790964225/photo/1
    When Stuart Bell was looking after his Middlesbrough constituents from the comfort of his Paris home the Tories were less keen on this sort of arrangement. Odd that.
  • FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Scott_xP said:

The situation is completely different. MPs get to make the law. That should be enough to enable them to keep up to date.

On levelling up:

This will get noticed.

The future for places like Wisbech is as commuter dormitories for the local “metro”, which would be Cambridge in this case.

They point is to rebuild the rail link for passengers - the freight line has been unused for years. But yes, it looks as though the main connection will be with Cambridge.

AIUI it's actually a major job, as there are level crossings that need replacing by bridges.
  • To dissuade UKG from triggering Article 16, EU is drawing up a package of short/medium term retaliatory measures which cd be put to @DavidGHFrost by @MarosSefcovic on Fri. As one senior official says: "In order to avoid escalation, you have to demonstrate escalation dominance" 1/

https://twitter.com/mij_europe/status/1457969885020139522?s=21

Scott_xP said:

Agreed.

By the way, what’s your view on the proposed changes to the Welsh curriculum.

Wales really looks like a failed state. Crap education, crap infrastructure, crap economy.
    On this, your diagnosis is all too accurate. It is what happens in one-party states.

Let us recollect: (i) the Senedd Cymru is the only UK Parliament without any requirement for lobbyists to be registered. What Owen Paterson did is not against regulations .... if he was in the Senedd;

(ii) the Senedd is the only Parliament in which there will be no investigation of the Government's actions over COVID. Remember, Drakeford has proportionately killed almost as many people as Johnson during COVID (despite @TheScreamingEagles gushing over him like a pimply adolescent).

The problems of Wales are impossible to fix, as long as there is no credible opposition.

Llafur can't presently be replaced because the alternative -- the Welsh Tories -- are actually worse.
  • Heathener said:

I'm not defending Cox, or other lawyer MPs who've been trousering money on the side of being an MP, whether they be a backbencher like Cox, or the Leader of the Opposition.
    No? Sounds like it.
  • Trigger warning for the sensitive souls offended by such, a Guido Fakwes link: https://order-order.com/2021/11/08/starmer-has-billed-113975-in-second-job-fees-since-becoming-an-mp-in-2015/

It seems Keir Starmer has billed £113,975 in second job fees since becoming an MP in 2015 - of which £25,934.18 were in the past twelve months alone while Leader of the Opposition.

Ed Davey has trousered £78,000 a year on the side and Ian Blackford £38,797 in a year.

Not just Tories, it seems.

On levelling up:

This will get noticed.

Was there recently several Polish shops and looked pretty run down but some lovely old buildings there. We didn't stay long. In its heyday I suspect it would have been lovely..
    There are stacks of `poor towns' down south - Redruth, Swindon, Gloucester (a city I know), Weston Super Mare etc to name a few.... expectations are fairly high and so far, some highly publicised dollops of cash but no clear strategy (or MOE) which leaves me very cynical about this will ever work.
  • Grateful to @GuidoFawkes for the following; Last year for 106 hours work outside Parliament Starmer earned £25,935; hourly rate £247. Lib Dem leader Ed Davey £78K for 120 hours; hourly rate £650. SNP'S Ian Blackford £38,967 for 32 hours; Hourly rate £1,217. Where's that trough.

https://twitter.com/kelvmackenzie/status/1457764778089357325?s=21

Who knew crofting paid so well?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Fenman said:

Scott_xP said:

The situation is completely different. MPs get to make the law. That should be enough to enable them to keep up to date.
    A truly nonsense point.
  • Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

When Stuart Bell was looking after his Middlesbrough constituents from the comfort of his Paris home the Tories were less keen on this sort of arrangement. Odd that.
    Its the same thing with Teesside PCC Steve Turner. Local Tories tore into Labour's Barry Coppinger for egregious crimes like communicating with the Chief Constable on WhatsApp. made him wholly unfit for office.

Now that we have their PCC having failed to declare a police caution and now being investigated on far more serious charges? Absolute radio silence. Its as if they apply different standards to themselves than they do to everyone else. And it isn't going unnoticed - the Northern Echo has been harrying the gobby local Tories who endlessly fed them lines about Coppinger for the same about Turner's far worse issues. And turning their refusal into front page stories.

Hypocricy and incompetence and double standards. Never positive attributes in politics.
  • Grateful to @GuidoFawkes for the following; Last year for 106 hours work outside Parliament Starmer earned £25,935; hourly rate £247. Lib Dem leader Ed Davey £78K for 120 hours; hourly rate £650. SNP'S Ian Blackford £38,967 for 32 hours; Hourly rate £1,217. Where's that trough.

I assume mostly media work for all of them. A lot of MPs do columns etc on all sides.

The question is whether desperate defend the indefensible Boris rampers think this will sufficiently distract from Paterson. Or Randox. Or Cox. Or Johnson himself which is of course the whole point in the exercise.

Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Its the same thing with Teesside PCC Steve Turner. Local Tories tore into Labour's Barry Coppinger for egregious crimes like communicating with the Chief Constable on WhatsApp. made him wholly unfit for office.

Now that we have their PCC having failed to declare a police caution and now being investigated on far more serious charges? Absolute radio silence. Its as if they apply different standards to themselves than they do to everyone else. And it isn't going unnoticed - the Northern Echo has been harrying the gobby local Tories who endlessly fed them lines about Coppinger for the same about Turner's far worse issues. And turning their refusal into front page stories.

Hypocricy and incompetence and double standards. Never positive attributes in politics.
    Never trust any politician. They will always let you down.

Trigger warning for the sensitive souls offended by such, a Guido Fakwes link: https://order-order.com/2021/11/08/starmer-has-billed-113975-in-second-job-fees-since-becoming-an-mp-in-2015/

It seems Keir Starmer has billed £113,975 in second job fees since becoming an MP in 2015 - of which £25,934.18 were in the past twelve months alone while Leader of the Opposition.

Ed Davey has trousered £78,000 a year on the side and Ian Blackford £38,797 in a year.

Not just Tories, it seems.

That is the problem with "sleaze". Everybody in politics gets hurt.
  • When Boris Johnson becomes a perceived net negative the Tory party will display unto him all the loyalty and fidelity Boris Johnson has shown to his wives.
  • Mr. Eagles, to be fair, Tiberius and Sejanus were very keen on cancellation (through the medium of forced suicide).

Grateful to @GuidoFawkes for the following; Last year for 106 hours work outside Parliament Starmer earned £25,935; hourly rate £247. Lib Dem leader Ed Davey £78K for 120 hours; hourly rate £650. SNP'S Ian Blackford £38,967 for 32 hours; Hourly rate £1,217. Where's that trough.

I assume mostly media work for all of them. A lot of MPs do columns etc on all sides.

Well, we know that is not true in the case of Ed Davey. He does consultancy work.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sleaze-owen-paterson-ed-davey-consultant-b1953482.html
    Every Tory MP reading about their second job in todays press knows they have Boris Johnson's Paterson plan, to thank for the renewed scrutiny.
    https://twitter.com/robertshrimsley/status/1457988513681575937

One thing that will distress Johnson about reports of some Tory MPs' vast outside earnings will be envy that he cannot, yet, rival those sums because being prime minister is such a chore.
    https://twitter.com/rafaelbehr/status/1457986351870185474
  • Good morning

If the last few days has not been a wake up call to Boris and the conservative party then it most definitely should be

Boris avoiding yesterday was pure cowardice and it does feel like the start of the end days for him

Obviously this is an enormous gift to his opponents, as was on display yesteday in the HOC and very much on here this morning

Starmer put the ball in the back of the net though he could hardly miss, but as I said yesterday it is now upto the red wall conservative mps to take control and put Boris on final notice to get his act together or send in the the 55 letters

The two December by elections will be interesting, not least to see if Labour are making any progress or the move towards the Greens continues, though the Lib Dems do not seem to be benefiting as much as maybe should be expected
    edited November 2021

On levelling up:

This will get noticed.

They point is to rebuild the rail link for passengers - the freight line has been unused for years. But yes, it looks as though the main connection will be with Cambridge.

AIUI it's actually a major job, as there are level crossings that need replacing by bridges.
    A combination of Treasury “orthodoxy”, gross centralisation, and a soviet-style planning regime acts as a massive sandbag on U.K. productivity.

It should be possible to get into Cambridge within 30 odd minutes from Wisbech, Peterborough, Bedford, Bury and even Luton.

Cambridge is one of the innovation hubs of Europe, with house prices to match, surrounded by vast acres of deprivation.

The question is whether desperate defend the indefensible Boris rampers think this will sufficiently distract from Paterson. Or Randox. Or Cox. Or Johnson himself which is of course the whole point in the exercise.
    The question is there are a lot of glass houses out there where people are throwing stones.

Sir Ed was on R4 yesterday explaining his additional income - from a charity that supports the disability his son suffers from.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

When Boris Johnson becomes a perceived net negative the Tory party will display unto him all the loyalty and fidelity Boris Johnson has shown to his wives.

Let's hope. They let May linger on for far too long.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited November 2021
    The Telegraph was also loyal to Thatcher in 1990 and IDS in 2003 too as the Tory house journal.

However as long as the Conservatives at least stay level in most polls Boris should be OK. If Labour start to pull consistently ahead than more Tory MPs will start to look towards Sunak instead.

It was Labour getting a clear poll lead post poll tax that did for Thatcher and IDS also tended to see Labour ahead
    Expectation at Westminster that the North Shropshire by-election to be triggered shortly for 16th December. Wrap up warm canvassers. 🗳️❄️
    https://twitter.com/adamfleming/status/1457989029471965185
    Scott_xP said:

To be fair, if everything's being done remotely he could even hold surgeries by Zoom etc. from wherever.
  • Mr. Eagles, to be fair, Tiberius and Sejanus were very keen on cancellation (through the medium of forced suicide).

Was Incitatus the first victim of the cancel culture?

Of course this has opened the Pandora box

The BBC were having a go at Ed Davy yesterday and I believe Starmer was also confronted on his additional earnings
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Agreed.

Sadly while a multi member constituency would result in a more diverse system it would cost both main parties some seats (it's safe to say the LDs would get a seat in any constituency with 5+ seat as voters switched from their least worse possible winner to their preferred option) and reduce the power the party holds over it's MPs.

It's a shame though as it would probably encourage investment and planning on a slightly more regional area and not have each constituency / town for itself.
    I did say that a shower of shit would also descend upon Labour. .. and it has.. KJH and others accused me of being cynical. If cynical is being right. I am fine with that.
  • Mr. Eagles, Remus, perhaps.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited November 2021

Sunak=Barber

We wish!

He isn't, Sunak still led the last Conservative Home next Tory leader survey.
    https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2021/08/sunak-leads-our-first-next-tory-leader-survey-in-two-years.html

Truss is also even more unpopular than Boris, with a rating of -24% as a potential good PM with the public in yesterdays' Mori, even worse than Boris' -21% and below Starmer's -16%.

By contrast Sunak is more popular than all of them, with a rating of -9% on whether he would make a good PM

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-loses-poll-lead-ipsos-mori-sleaze-scandal-b964945.html

• Scott_xP said:

Seems reasonable. We have (or had) a credible military threat to deter the Russians. The UK is set on a trade war. Aside from the reality that trade wars end with chunks out of both sides and status quo ante, the EU also know that as the larger party they will be able to smash the UK into the ground in such a war.

The problem on the UK side is that they don't understand trade. Or diplomacy. Or stuff. And they are cheered on by "just Trigger A16, we hold all the cards" frothers so think it can work. The EU are going to detail exactly what such a trade war will do to us. And at the end of it? Crawling back to the negotiating table trying to reset things back to where they are now.

I'm not sure how food shortages and higher prices helps save Boris. you can't feed sovrinty to your kids for dinner.
    Two possibilities I can think of.

One is that a trade war, especially one the EU wins, could well change "rejoin in 20 years" to "never rejoin". It will be ugly. But it will secure the VL legacy.

The other is that the UK is assuming that it can win by breaking Queensbury Rules when the EU will be hamstrung by having to stick to them. You see in in schools where the small, gobby kid taunts the big kid and then runs to teacher when the big kid responds.

Except there is no teacher to run to in this case.
This discussion has been closed.