Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Tonight’s polls in sharp contrast to YouGov’s 10% CON lead – politicalbetting.com

2»

Comments

• Options
    Anyway it is time to rest

Sombre week next week then Rishi tax raising budget on the 27th

Good night
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 38% (-4)
    LAB: 37% (-)
    LDEM: 9% (+3)

via @DeltapollUK, 13 - 15 Oct
    Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Quite an odd poll. Looks like movement straight from the Tories to the LDs.

Tory Remainers finally incensed by Brexit ‘shortages’? Suggests it won’t last IF the shortages ease
    Shortages are just one thing; increased taxes and prices will also potentially begin to impact.

Disaffected Tory voters flocking to the LibDems is nothing new.

But this is just one poll - see how things look by the end of the year.
    It looks as if pensioners are going to receive a near 4% rise in April and I assume other benefits will rise by the same amount

Also expect a substantial rise in the minimum wage in the budget, together with other measures to help the low paid

I would be very surprised if Rishi does not do the above

Where's the money coming from Big_G?
    Exactly

And that is the unanswered question for both parties as they face the same demands

At least on the 27th we may have some idea
    Yes but Labour have an easier way out if they care to choose it... tax the wealthy.
    Rishi needs to tax wealth but then is that enough and how much can you tax wealth before it becomes negative to the economy
    Imo you can tax wealth a lot before it starts impacting the economy! Most wealth is doing absolutely nothing for the economy: all that tied up in property for a start.

But the beauty is you really don't need to tax it that much at all to get vast amounts of debt-reducing government income.

PS The Tories will never do it properly because... donors.
    It would be even less palatable to the Tory vote than a beefed up inheritance tax, which at least doesn't affect you till you are dead. So it makes no sense to go to a wealth tax rather than beef up iht - scrap the property exemption, abolish the 7 year rule.
    I accept that the term wealth tax is emotive, but surely the actual impact depends on the threshold? If you set the threshold so that only the top 5% of wealth owners are impacted, and deliver that message clearly, most Tory voters will realise it's not affecting them. The 5% can afford it frankly.

Still not happening though because... Tory donors.
    Partly donors, but also symbolism.

As @HYUFD reminds us, the raising of the IHT threshold was very popular with Conservative supporters. Not so much because of the amounts to tax paid and saved, but because of what it represented. In many ways, inheritance is a rational time for tax to happen- the deceased has gone to a place where they won't mind and a tax taking a slice of a windfall is less painful than a tax on regular income. But the symbolism grates.

The other tax that falls in the same category is fuel duty. It's been frozen for ages now, to the extent that it's a non-trivial hole in the national finances. We ought to be discouraging driving and encouraging more efficient use of vehicles. But it's untouchable. Partly out of fear of the fuel protests two decades ago, partly because White Van Man is the archetype of a type of Toryism, not to be punished.

Rishi's problem is that the hefty tax rises announced in the Spring Budget (remember those?) and the NI increase announced in September don't look like being enough.

And he's running out of sofas to rummage in for a few more coppers.
    We don't need any more tax rises, we are the Conservative party we are already spending quite enough as it is so no more rises in spending and we continue with cuts in overseas aid etc which were protected in the Cameron years.

If voters want more tax and spend they can vote Labour, that is what Labour is for
    Tax and spend is the modern Conservative Party whether you like it or not. It's just only the workers who get taxed.
    Labour would have put up income tax and IHT too and imposed a wealth tax and spent more than the Tories too
    The point you are blind to is that due to covid and climate change the conservatives will have no choice
    Crap.

Lockdown has ended, furlough has ended and hospitalisations have fallen sharply. There are no extra funds needed beyond those already given and climate change has sod all to do with public spending but replacing fossil fuels with renewables which we are world leaders in anyway. Otherwise it is getting the US, China and India to do something as they will have far more impact on it than we would
    You are in total denial

There are none so blind as those who will not see
    You are in total denial you are in the wrong party.

I am not in any party
    Well in a minute I will pay for your Labour membership card myself before you start polluting the Tory party with anymore electorally disastrous proposals for our core vote
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Tory Remainers finally incensed by Brexit ‘shortages’? Suggests it won’t last IF the shortages ease
    Shortages are just one thing; increased taxes and prices will also potentially begin to impact.

It looks as if pensioners are going to receive a near 4% rise in April and I assume other benefits will rise by the same amount

Also expect a substantial rise in the minimum wage in the budget, together with other measures to help the low paid

Exactly

And that is the unanswered question for both parties as they face the same demands

Easy - from future generations
    I assume you mean IHT which I have argued incessantly with @HYUFD about as I believe I million exemption is too high

If not maybe you could expand your view
    Well please go to Starmer Labour or the LDs then to pursue your case further as the Tories are not going to remove it as Osborne's raising the IHT thereshold to £1 million was the most popular Tory policy this century, especially in London and the South
    I am being polite as I can when I say you are so boring

And entirely self interest - why should people in the north subside your housing deposit in the south
    People in the North and Midlands and Scotland and Wales and NI on average incomes have far lower costs of living than in the South and can afford to buy a property on an average wage.

People on an average wage in most of London and much of the South East need to inherit or have parental assistance to help them be able to afford the deposit and be able to buy a property
    No. We need to tax the Mummy and Daddy money away as that distorts the property market in South East so ordinary decent working class people have a chance to get on.
    What a load of rubbish.

As long as London remains a global city and attracts foreign investment and large numbers of high earning incomers from across the UK and abroad those born there will not be able to afford to buy there unless they get a high income or inherit.

Londoners who cannot afford to buy in the capital will then move out to the Home Counties to buy in turn pricing out those born in the Home Counties unless they get an above average income or inherit.
    Worst post of all time!

I being from a poor working class background have managed to buy a house in London by my own achievements and without the help of mummy or daddy money which is a good job as there wasn't any.

@HYUFD did you buy your flat in Epping fully on your own resources? :lol:

Your policies on inheritance deny social mobility and you really have no idea whatsoever.
    Good for you but you have just proved my point as you are now a high earner NOT an average earner.

I did have some parental support to buy my property as do most people on average wages in the London commuter belt otherwise they would not be able to afford to buy there.

Take inheritance and family support away and most earners on average wages in the London commuter belt would rent as I used to and as much of London already does. A total disaster for the Tory Party sending seat after seat in the blue wall to Labour or the LDs
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Cyclefree said:

@Theuniondivvie

I have been buying art since my late 20's. I have quite a collection - mostly painting but some sculpture as well. One of the joys of moving to the Lakes is that I have space to hang some of my bigger paintings. I've inherited quite a bit as well. And I did buy my last painting last year in June.

@Richard_Tyndall

There is another sad - and sadly apposite - anniversary this week. A year ago yesterday marked the day a schoolteacher was beheaded by a terrorist in France - Samuel Paty: a teacher doing his job - just like Sir David Amess.

I note, incidentally, that his attacker is believed - at least according to the Times today - to have been born in the UK.

On a more personal level Husband's throat test results came back and there is no abnormality suggesting anything serious. Which is a relief. Not just for the obvious reason but also because Himself was finding ever more creative ways of playing the "I am probably dying so you must do this for me" card. And I was beginning to find this a teensy bit tiresome.

Also Daughter's chef finally left hospital after seven weeks having had an extremely serious car crash. He will need more operations. But he is lucky to be alive and on the recovery path. It has been an immensely difficult time and he is not yet in a position to work. But he is alive and will get better which is the important thing.

Daughter has now taken on the chef's role as well. That girl's resilience and calmness under pressure is astonishing. Son has been appointed Front of House Manager where I - newly promoted to waitress, potato peeler and chips maker and, get this, pudding chef (sundaes, Eton Mess and syrup puddings my speciality) - have discovered that he too has the Cyclefree bossiness gene. Quite right too.

I am in London next week for work. I shall check out all the excitement on offer.

Glad to hear Mr CF is on the mend and Daughter's business is surviving despite all. Whereabouts was it in the Lakes? Will promise to visit when we mange to get up there again.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Yes but Labour have an easier way out if they care to choose it... tax the wealthy.
    Rishi needs to tax wealth but then is that enough and how much can you tax wealth before it becomes negative to the economy
    Imo you can tax wealth a lot before it starts impacting the economy! Most wealth is doing absolutely nothing for the economy: all that tied up in property for a start.

But the beauty is you really don't need to tax it that much at all to get vast amounts of debt-reducing government income.

It would be even less palatable to the Tory vote than a beefed up inheritance tax, which at least doesn't affect you till you are dead. So it makes no sense to go to a wealth tax rather than beef up iht - scrap the property exemption, abolish the 7 year rule.
    I accept that the term wealth tax is emotive, but surely the actual impact depends on the threshold? If you set the threshold so that only the top 5% of wealth owners are impacted, and deliver that message clearly, most Tory voters will realise it's not affecting them. The 5% can afford it frankly.

As @HYUFD reminds us, the raising of the IHT threshold was very popular with Conservative supporters. Not so much because of the amounts to tax paid and saved, but because of what it represented. In many ways, inheritance is a rational time for tax to happen- the deceased has gone to a place where they won't mind and a tax taking a slice of a windfall is less painful than a tax on regular income. But the symbolism grates.

The other tax that falls in the same category is fuel duty. It's been frozen for ages now, to the extent that it's a non-trivial hole in the national finances. We ought to be discouraging driving and encouraging more efficient use of vehicles. But it's untouchable. Partly out of fear of the fuel protests two decades ago, partly because White Van Man is the archetype of a type of Toryism, not to be punished.

Rishi's problem is that the hefty tax rises announced in the Spring Budget (remember those?) and the NI increase announced in September don't look like being enough.

We don't need any more tax rises, we are the Conservative party we are already spending quite enough as it is so no more rises in spending and we continue with cuts in overseas aid etc which were protected in the Cameron years.

If voters want more tax and spend they can vote Labour, that is what Labour is for
    Tax and spend is the modern Conservative Party whether you like it or not. It's just only the workers who get taxed.
    Labour would have put up income tax and IHT too and imposed a wealth tax and spent more than the Tories too
    The point you are blind to is that due to covid and climate change the conservatives will have no choice
    Crap.

Lockdown has ended, furlough has ended and hospitalisations have fallen sharply. There are no extra funds needed beyond those already given and climate change has sod all to do with public spending but replacing fossil fuels with renewables which we are world leaders in anyway. Otherwise it is getting the US, China and India to do something as they will have far more impact on it than we would
    You are in total denial

I am not in any party
    Well in a minute I will pay for your Labour membership card myself before you start polluting the Tory party with anymore electorally disastrous proposals for our core vote
    Could you pay for mine too please?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

I assume you mean IHT which I have argued incessantly with @HYUFD about as I believe I million exemption is too high

Well please go to Starmer Labour or the LDs then to pursue your case further as the Tories are not going to remove it as Osborne's raising the IHT thereshold to £1 million was the most popular Tory policy this century, especially in London and the South

And entirely self interest - why should people in the north subside your housing deposit in the south
    People in the North and Midlands and Scotland and Wales and NI on average incomes have far lower costs of living than in the South and can afford to buy a property on an average wage.

People on an average wage in most of London and much of the South East need to inherit or have parental assistance to help them be able to afford the deposit and be able to buy a property
    No. We need to tax the Mummy and Daddy money away as that distorts the property market in South East so ordinary decent working class people have a chance to get on.
    What a load of rubbish.

As long as London remains a global city and attracts foreign investment and large numbers of high earning incomers from across the UK and abroad those born there will not be able to afford to buy there unless they get a high income or inherit.

Londoners who cannot afford to buy in the capital will then move out to the Home Counties to buy in turn pricing out those born in the Home Counties unless they get an above average income or inherit.
    Worst post of all time!

I being from a poor working class background have managed to buy a house in London by my own achievements and without the help of mummy or daddy money which is a good job as there wasn't any.

Your policies on inheritance deny social mobility and you really have no idea whatsoever.
    Good for you but you have just proved my point as you are now a high earner NOT an average earner.

I did have some parental support to buy my property as do most people on average wages in the London commuter belt otherwise they would not be able to afford to buy there.

Take inheritance away and most earners on average wages in the London commuter belt would rent as I used to and as much of London already does. A total disaster for the Tory Party
    It's just a bloody Ponzi scheme.

And how does it fit with the Tories' ertwhile claim to be the party of equal opportunity? Equal opportunity, provided your parents were well-off.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party
    At least you admit that the party only exists to enrich it's client vote rather than any noble desire to improve the country.

That's something.
    Every party exists to enrich its client vote.

Labour's client vote is the public sector, students and academics and those on welfare just as much as the Tories client vote is home owners and their heirs and pensioners.

The LDs less so but even they have a client vote of socially liberal relatively high earning graduates to feed
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party
    At least you admit that the party only exists to enrich it's client vote rather than any noble desire to improve the country.

That's something.

Labour's client vote is the public sector, students and academics and those on welfare just as much as the Tories client vote is home owners and pensioners.

The LDs less so but even they have a client vote of socially liberal relatively high earning graduates to feed
    Then why do I generally vote Labour as a home owner?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party
    No as you already vote Labour
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

What a load of rubbish.

Worst post of all time!

Take inheritance away and most earners on average wages in the London commuter belt would rent as I used to and as much of London already does. A total disaster for the Tory Party
    It's just a bloody Ponzi scheme.

And how does it fit with the Tories' ertwhile claim to be the party of equal opportunity? Equal opportunity, provided your parents were well-off.
    The Tory party has always been the party of preservation of assets first.

The Liberals were the party of supposed meritocracy in the 19th and early 20th century, just the Tories took the mantle of meritocracy on against socialist Labour to win over middle class Liberals to keep Labour out
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335

How can you resist, BigG! (I believe you quite like Keir?)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party
    No as you already vote Labour
    Well spotted. It was worth a try, though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party

That's something.

Labour's client vote is the public sector, students and academics and those on welfare just as much as the Tories client vote is home owners and pensioners.

Careful, I think he might have a breakdown trying to compute that.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,192
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

What a load of rubbish.

Worst post of all time!

Take inheritance and family support away and most earners on average wages in the London commuter belt would rent as I used to and as much of London already does. A total disaster for the Tory Party sending seat after seat in the blue wall to Labour or the LDs
    Yes I knew you did which is why I tried to draw this out.

Tax inheritance and capital transfers properly and those who are not in a position to benefit from these will have more of a chance of getting on the property ladder as inheritance and capital transfers eg gifts from wealthy parents to pay for property push prices up and distort the market. Especially in London/SE.

Anyway off to bed now. Hope to be here tomorrow, sure you will be here too! :smile:

GN all
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour's client vote is the public sector, students and academics and those on welfare just as much as the Tories client vote is home owners and their heirs and pensioners.

Not really. I think most people in politics (most Tories too!) have a general image of the society they'd like Britain to become, and it doesn't especially involve enriching a particular group. But if you meant pragmatically that each party has to draw more of its votes from some sectors than others, that's true (but a pity IMO).
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party

That's something.

Some public sector workers and stiudents even vote Tory but most vote Labour as most home owners vote Tory
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

What a load of rubbish.

Worst post of all time!

Yes I knew you did which is why I tried to draw this out.

Tax inheritance and capital transfers properly and those who are not in a position to benefit from these will have more of a chance of getting on the property ladder as inheritance and capital transfers eg gifts from wealthy parents to pay for property push prices up and distort the market. Especially in London/SE.

Anyway off to bed now. Hope to be here tomorrow, sure you will be here too! :smile:

GN all
    They won't at all. Precisely the opposite, they will have less chance of buying as without inheritance and capital transfers those on average earnings in London and the SE will move from potential property owners to renters.

Otherwise the only things which would make a difference are to slash immigration and drastically cut foreign investment into London and ensure that all new houses built, especially those classified as 'affordable', are only available to those who have lived in the local area for at least 7-10 years
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party

That's something.

Jo Swinson
  • Options

Just got in from the pub.

I see from Sky News that LAB and LD will not be standing in Southend W. As a moderate working class Conservative I appreciate this from the opposition. I also appreciate the appearance of Keir and the Speaker in Leigh on Sea today.

Interesting - I think I approve, but I'd thought the opposite precedent had been set with Batley and Spen.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

eek said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

The only options are borrow more or create a wealth tax - IHT won’t generate much
    As a matter of interest how do you see a wealth tax working
    My suggestion: 1% pa on all individual assets over £1m. Legal obligation to self-declare and complete an annual return.

So, assets of £1m = £0 Wealth Tax (WT) pa
    Assets of £1.5m = £5k WT pac(£500k over threshold x 1%)
    Assets of £2m = £10k WT pa (£1m over threshold x 1%)
    Assets of £10m = £90k WT pa
    Assets of £101m = £1m WT pa
    etc.
    I would vote for the Benpointer Party
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I clearly need to see a therapist in HYUFD's view. As a retired, outright home-owning, comfortably off, southern-living leftie who doesn't see the need to leave all his money/property to his kids I just don't know why I don't vote Tory as it's obviously in my interest to do so. I also mix with a lot of similar people. HYUFD, do you offer counselling services as well?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,194
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party
    I admire your honesty HY even if your political purity is as mad as that of a march hare.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,192

I see from Sky News that LAB and LD will not be standing in Southend W. As a moderate working class Conservative I appreciate this from the opposition. I also appreciate the appearance of Keir and the Speaker in Leigh on Sea today.

Interesting - I think I approve, but I'd thought the opposite precedent had been set with Batley and Spen.
    Nick - no, CON and LD did not stand in Batley and Spen 2016. IE same as I am agreeing with LAB and LD in Southend W

Are we talking at cross purposes here?
  • Options

No. The Conservatives and LDs did not stand in the 2016 by-election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Batley_and_Spen_by-election
  • Options

I dont think anyone should be elected to parliament without being challenged electorally so not sure i approve. there is no precedent for this either.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

Not really. I think most people in politics (most Tories too!) have a general image of the society they'd like Britain to become, and it doesn't especially involve enriching a particular group. But if you meant pragmatically that each party has to draw more of its votes from some sectors than others, that's true (but a pity IMO).
    Yes but they need the support of their core vote in order to get elected to fulfil their vision and their vision mostly aligns with that of their core vote anyway.

No business can turn off its core consumers and loyal customers and make a profit, just as no political party can ignore its core vote and hope to get elected
  • Options

I dont think anyone should be elected to parliament without being challenged electorally so not sure i approve. there is no precedent for this either.
  • Options

I clearly need to see a therapist in HYUFD's view. As a retired, outright home-owning, comfortably off, southern-living leftie who doesn't see the need to leave all his money/property to his kids I just don't know why I don't vote Tory as it's obviously in my interest to do so. I also mix with a lot of similar people. HYUFD, do you offer counselling services as well?

Have faith - you're not alone!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

I'm not sure I approve either. It basically disenfranchises voters.
  • Options

but there wasnt further back with NEave and Gow- It is insulting to voters to not have a choice .The Tory party does not own Southend and it should not be up to them to chose the MP , the voters do that
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

@Theuniondivvie

I have been buying art since my late 20's. I have quite a collection - mostly painting but some sculpture as well. One of the joys of moving to the Lakes is that I have space to hang some of my bigger paintings. I've inherited quite a bit as well. And I did buy my last painting last year in June.

@Richard_Tyndall

There is another sad - and sadly apposite - anniversary this week. A year ago yesterday marked the day a schoolteacher was beheaded by a terrorist in France - Samuel Paty: a teacher doing his job - just like Sir David Amess.

I note, incidentally, that his attacker is believed - at least according to the Times today - to have been born in the UK.

On a more personal level Husband's throat test results came back and there is no abnormality suggesting anything serious. Which is a relief. Not just for the obvious reason but also because Himself was finding ever more creative ways of playing the "I am probably dying so you must do this for me" card. And I was beginning to find this a teensy bit tiresome.

Also Daughter's chef finally left hospital after seven weeks having had an extremely serious car crash. He will need more operations. But he is lucky to be alive and on the recovery path. It has been an immensely difficult time and he is not yet in a position to work. But he is alive and will get better which is the important thing.

Daughter has now taken on the chef's role as well. That girl's resilience and calmness under pressure is astonishing. Son has been appointed Front of House Manager where I - newly promoted to waitress, potato peeler and chips maker and, get this, pudding chef (sundaes, Eton Mess and syrup puddings my speciality) - have discovered that he too has the Cyclefree bossiness gene. Quite right too.

I am in London next week for work. I shall check out all the excitement on offer.

Glad to hear Mr CF is on the mend and Daughter's business is surviving despite all. Whereabouts was it in the Lakes? Will promise to visit when we mange to get up there again.
    The Green - just under Black Combe - near the Duddon Estuary.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/Punchbowl.TheGreen/reviews/?ref=page_internal
  • Options

In exceptional circumstances like these the sitting party is effectively appointing a replacement until the next GE.

Seems pragmatic and sensible to me. Most voters in the constituency will have voted for the party not the person in 2019.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party

That's something.

Some public sector workers and stiudents even vote Tory but most vote Labour as most home owners vote Tory
    You are the master of the sweeping statement.

I am not entirely sure some of your analysis is wholly accurate either. I suspect, for example, in 2019 a substantial percentage (maybe not a majority) of public sector workers voted Conservative.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party

That's something.

I am not entirely sure some of your analysis is wholly accurate either. I suspect, for example, in 2019 a substantial percentage (maybe not a majority) of public sector workers voted Conservative.
    Some no doubt did but if only public sector workers had voted in 2019, Corbyn would now be PM with an overall majority.

It is mainly private sector workers and pensioners who elect Conservative governments
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but they need the support of their core vote in order to get elected to fulfil their vision and their vision mostly aligns with that of their core vote anyway.

No business can turn off its core consumers and loyal customers and make a profit, just as no political party can ignore its core vote and hope to get elected
    Your core vote is now White Van Man in Stoke on Trent.

Thanks for another evening of entertainment and I bid you, and everyone, goodnight.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,261

Does anyone know why YouGov are systematically getting a different reading for the Lab/Green ratings to the others?

A lot turns on whether the situation is C41L31 (Carrie can start planning the next round of Downing Street redecoration; I recommend plenty of wipe-clean surfaces and rounded edges) and C41L37 (Starmer is making boring but solid post-vaccine progress; C40L38 is probably enough to make the next government a Coalition of Chaos).

I had a look at the data tables for the latest YouGov and Opinium polls, which have Green scores of 8% and 5% respectively.

One thing that is immediately obvious is that the numbers in the YouGov poll look more credible. The Greens have higher support among younger voters, than oldsters (14% in 18-24 and 5% in 65+), while in the Opinium poll there was no clear pattern by age. YouGov also has a much stronger contrast by Brexit referendum vote (12% of Remain voters and 3% of Leave voters saying Green) compared to a 7-4 split in Opinium. Opinium manages to find a quarter of 2019 Brexit Party voters now intending to vote Green - I suppose you can make a case for this on an itinerant protest vote basis, but the 2% figure given by YouGov seems more credible.

So my guess is that other pollsters are not finding as a good a sample of young voters as YouGov, and are missing out on an accurate picture of current voting intention when it comes to the Greens and young voters.

Labour will hope that the realities of FPTP will force these rebellious youngsters into the red column for a general election, but I'd be inclined to trust YouGov polls for a present snapshot.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party

That's something.

Some no doubt did but if only public sector workers had voted in 2019, Corbyn would now be PM with an overall majority.

It is mainly private sector workers and pensioners who elect Conservative governments
    Is that fact or conjecture?
  • Options

No. The Conservatives and LDs did not stand in the 2016 by-election.

Ah, fair enough, I misremembered. In that case, definitely we should reciprocate.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party

That's something.

Is that fact or conjecture?
    Fact.

A 2014 BES study for example had the Tories 2% ahead amongst private sector workers and 11% ahead amongst the self employed but Labour 13% ahead amongst public sector workers
    https://electionsetc.com/2015/03/17/the-public-private-electoral-divide/

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited October 2021
    Foxy said:

On the last rights question as Amess was stabbed 17 times and the paramedics had battled to save him isn’t “the nature of the scene” code for “it was a bloodbath”?

I am no Catholic, but my understanding of God is that He isn't a stickler for the paperwork.
    He seems to have a lot of rules though, through His representatives at least. The celestial bureacuracy seems like a real burden.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,634
    O/T

"No Time to Pee – why today’s blockbusters are just too long
    Want to see the new Bond? Ridley Scott’s ‘The Last Duel’? ‘Dune’? Better pack a three-course meal and consult an osteopath, says Fiona Sturges. Or better still, just make the movies shorter"

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/long-blockbusters-no-time-to-die-b1938980.html
  • Options

I was thinking about this earlier. While my immediate instinct is to agree with you that no-one should be elected without a contest, on reflection I realised that I would find it sickening if a change in the political balance of the Commons was to follow a murder.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Want to see the new Bond? Ridley Scott’s ‘The Last Duel’? ‘Dune’? Better pack a three-course meal and consult an osteopath, says Fiona Sturges. Or better still, just make the movies shorter"

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/long-blockbusters-no-time-to-die-b1938980.html

I don't mind long movies, but I did have to pee twice during The Last Duel tonight as I misjudged its length and thus how long I'd have to wait. It was an ok movie, but you won't miss much if you do have to nip out.
  • Options
    edited October 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Your core vote is now White Van Man in Stoke on Trent.

Thanks for another evening of entertainment and I bid you, and everyone, goodnight.
    Plus home owners in the South and their heirs, the Tories need them and White Van Man in the RedWall for a majority
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

On the last rights question as Amess was stabbed 17 times and the paramedics had battled to save him isn’t “the nature of the scene” code for “it was a bloodbath”?

I am no Catholic, but my understanding of God is that He isn't a stickler for the paperwork.
    He seems to have a lot of rules though, through His representatives at least. The celestial bureacuracy seems like a real burden.
    Richelle Mead's succubus novels are a very entertaining introduction to the bureaucracy of both heaven and hell.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Agree with this. 2 hours should be regarded as long for a film. If the story that is to be told doesn't fit, then make it into a mini-series - it's not like there isn't a lot of money in TV these days. Or find a competent editor.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Agree with this. 2 hours should be regarded as long for a film. If the story that is to be told doesn't fit, then make it into a mini-series - it's not like there isn't a lot of money in TV these days. Or find a competent editor.
    Blade Runner 2049 was 2hr 45 minutes long but it didn't feel that long to me, I was engaged throughout and it didn't feel it dragged. Conversely Ad Astra was about 2 hours long and I felt like I had aged ten years sitting through the damn thing.

So it can work, but it does seem like big name directors in particular don't seem fans of editing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Blade Runner 2049 was 2hr 45 minutes long but it didn't feel that long to me, I was engaged throughout and it didn't feel it dragged. Conversely Ad Astra was about 2 hours long and I felt like I had aged ten years sitting through the damn thing.

So it can work, but it does seem like big name directors in particular don't seem fans of editing.
    I'm not sure you're right, you know. As I recall it, Ad Astra was four or five hours long.
  • Options

I'd have no issue with it being contested, but I cannot say I agree it disenfrancises voters. Any party can choose to stand, they cannot be forced to do so if they do not want to, and whilst very unlikely the voters can select other options from Independents or minor parties if they are unhappy with the choice they are offered. But it's not disenfranchisement for parties to be selective, just unfortunate.

For instance, I don't agree with the policy of not standing against the sitting Speaker, a policy which has not been universally followed in history anyway. I think the parties are wrong to give the Speaker such a free ride, and a new one could always be selected if the voters don't return them. But I accept that voters can still register their dissatisfaction if they don't like the free ride.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

There was no reason a priest could not have been let through to give him the last rites.

Boris must amend this asap to ensure that Catholic priests and Ministers of other denominations and Imams and Rabbis etc must be let through by police to see victims at murder scenes who are religious. The government must change the law to make that clear if necessary as a top priority
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

I'm not sure you're right, you know. As I recall it, Ad Astra was four or five hours long.
    It had numbed me into a trance, so who the hell knows. Awful film, with truly bizarre direction for the actors - I was convinced there was going to be a major thing how everyone was doped up on mood tranquilizers hence acting like boring zombies, but it didn't seem to go anwhere and it was just that everyone was acting weird. And the only moment of interest was a completely out of context space baboon attack.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party
    I admire your honesty HY even if your political purity is as mad as that of a march hare.
    He says what a lot of Tories think but don't say.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

eek said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

The only options are borrow more or create a wealth tax - IHT won’t generate much
    My suggestion: 1% pa on all individual assets over £1m. Legal obligation to self-declare and complete an annual return.

etc.
    Seems fair enough
    I would probably go for 0.5%, but agree with the principle.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Very long films in the past sometimes had "intermission" breaks to allow people to stretch their legs. In fact some of them had two intermissions — perhaps Gandhi was one of them?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,201
    Are we going for herd immunity?
  • Options
    Leon said:

The strategy is, I think, the same one it has been since the first lockdown was announced - minimum level of restrictions consistent with preventing the catastrophic collapse of the hospital system.

This is. obviously, a much lower level of restrictions now that most people are vaccinated.
  • Options

eek said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

etc.
    What is wealth please.... Is it someone with £1M in their pension pot or someone with a DB pension of £50k pa? The latter being worth more obviously.... Despite what the LTA says. Or is it Isas which were and are supposed to be tax-free... And what about VCTs?
    Ok first off, I haven't designed a whole fecking policy - I am just floating an idea.

But all your points are answerable as part of an actual policy:

Pension pots - I'd say exclude until crystalised, there are existing rules for that (which can also be used for DB pensions - if the LTA rules are wrong (which I agree they are) they need fixing anyway). If you draw down or buy an annuity you convert your pension pot into an income (as was always intended). If you choose to take it as a lump sum well, tough titty, you have a potentially WTable asset.

ISAs I'd be inclined to include regardless, they were only sold as free from income and CGT imo. But really, if you exclude them, fair dos - you could still include values invested from 2022/3 onwards. Or exclude the completely - they're not holding the bulk of the wealth of the super-wealthy who are the target of this.

VCTs - definitely include as an asset. Fecking scam for the wealthy imo.

I think theres £584 billion in adult isas from the latest stats I can find....

Drawdown pensions are crystallised but unlike an annuity aren't a guaranteed income but a lump sum you take taxable income from which depletes the pot so I don't understand the tough titty tax proposal on that drawdown pot.

Cash savings are wealth too presumably, eg premium bonds and savings accounts so with interest rates so low, we're essentially taxing those with low risk savings into negative nominal returns as well as real returns with this wealth taxing.

If its really about property. Just call it a revamped council tax. Always goes down a storm with voters that.
  • Options
    With a wealth tax on non property assets, imagine how many £50 notes would be stuffed under the national mattress, or gold bars for that matter.

Suddenly yield would be less of an issue for an asset as the value of not being taxed each year would be a return for the wealthy person...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,201

Leon said:

The strategy is, I think, the same one it has been since the first lockdown was announced - minimum level of restrictions consistent with preventing the catastrophic collapse of the hospital system.

This is. obviously, a much lower level of restrictions now that most people are vaccinated.
    Yes, that makes sense

We just gotta live with this fucker

It doesn’t excuse HMG’s sluggishness on booster vaccines and vax-for-kids, tho
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

Crap.

You are in total denial

I am not in any party

That's something.

Wouldn't it be better if each party tried to do what's best for the country as a whole?
  • Options
    "Josh Glancy
    @joshglancy

I spoke to the father of Ali Harbi Ali, David Amess' alleged killer, outside the family's house in north London.

"It's not something I ever expected or even dreamt of," Harbi Ali Kullane told me and @KatieTarrant_"

https://twitter.com/joshglancy/status/1449522953620652032
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

FPT:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chgs. w/ 26 Jul

Exactly

etc.
    Seems fair enough
    I would probably go for 0.5%, but agree with the principle.
    Will kill off farming. All the land will have to be sold to housing developers.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,199
    Leon said:

Yes. As I’ve said before, those who won’t get vaccinated, or can’t, can expect to gain immunity through infection. That’s the plan. Just no one in sage or government is coming on the tv to say it.
This discussion has been closed.