Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The US’s 2nd septuagenarian President has ratings as bad as the first – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited September 2021 in General
imageThe US’s 2nd septuagenarian President has ratings as bad as the first – politicalbetting.com

The latest monthly Gallup poll with is Presdiential approval ratings out and the trend is shown in the chart above. The firm makes the following observation:

Read the full story here

Comments

• First
  • V v worrying

If there's a problem with Biden it aint nothing like the problem with a Trump 2nd term.

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Third.
    Like I rate the last two POTUSES.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

V v worrying

If there's a problem with Biden it aint nothing like the problem with a Trump 2nd term.

Look on the bright side, Trump's second term will probably look great compared to his third term...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,246
    edited September 2021
    fpt for Francis

The characters in White Lotus are superbly drawn. These Americans are REALLY like this. The super-rich families whose kids just stay on their screens, in their $5000 a night suites

I went to a safari camp in Kafue in Zambia once, mega luxurious on the Busanga Plains, you have to fly in, I was told that just before me the entire camp had been rented by a billionaire Microsoft dude, for his family. He hired several helicopters to make sure everything was brought in, including satellite dishes and the like, to make sure that he and his kids were always online, despite this being one of the most remote places on earth (ordinarily there is no wifi let alone mobile signal)

The result was that his spoilt kids spent their whole time on their phones, arguing and sexting, and they barely did any safari (and Kafue has some of the best safari on the planet)

Probably cost him a million dollars for one holiday. Or more
  • Andrew Neil finally washes his hands of GB News

After weeks of talks with @GBNEWS, resulting in exit settlement, the channel then broke it by briefing Mail on Sunday with load of smears/lies then unilaterally cancelling exit deal. Leaving me free to do, say whatever I want + never again be on GBNews. Couldn’t be happier.

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1440797569836146690?s=21
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The White Lotus is highly entertaining, in a lightweight way

Oh god no...I thought it was terrible.
    It's not Chernobyl, nor is it Breaking Bad

But as an amusing insight into the idiotic rich people that go to mexa-luxe resorts, it is excellent. It nails them. Their narcissism, their fatuity, their unknowing cruelty and vulgarity

Perhaps I am biased as a Dildo Knappers Gazette Correspondent, I've seen these people countless times, and they are exactly like this
    I get the premise, these people are US equivalent of RAHs, with the woke kids....but its doesn't go anywhere for hours. IMO it becomes as tiresome has having to actually put up with these people in real life for hours. If I wanted to experience that I would go on an XR march.
    The characters are superbly drawn. These Americans are REALLY like this. The super-rich families whose kids just stay on their screens, in their $5000 a night suites

I went to a safari camp in Kafue in Zambia once, mega luxurious on the Busanga Plains, you have to fly in, I was told that just before me the entire camp had been rented by Paul Allen of Microsoft, for his family. He hired several helicopters to make sure everything was brought in, including satellite dishes and the like, to make sure that he and his kids were always online, despite this being one of the most remote places on earth (ordinarily there is no wifi let alone mobile signal)

The result was that his spoilt kids spent their whole time on their phones, arguing and sexting, and they barely did any safari (and Kafue has some of the best safari on the planet)

Probably cost him a million dollars for one holiday. Or more. Poor chap is dead now
    I don't know if times just changed or I had an abnormal experience.

When I was doing my PhD, I was in the US for a bit and I took a vacation to the arse end of nowhere, some fairly unpretentious cabins by a lake in the Pacific Northwest.

Next cabin to myself and Mrs U, family turned up via a really nice boat that must have cost a fair bit, but seemed nice normal people, got chatting, nothing particularly out of the ordinary. They clearly has some money. Kids seemed normal, had them out doing things jobs needed for the fires and general chores needed when you do that sort of trip.

Guy asks me about my research, seems overly interested without asking anything particularly technical. We hang out for a bit over the next couple of days, and he is very quiet about what he does, just say works in tech, so I guessed probably Microsoft software engineer or something and isn't allowed to say too much.

Then they go to leave, guy comes over, hands me a card, says when you finished if you fancy a job, drop me a message...not going to say who (as name won't mean anything to anybody outside the biz anyway), but super high up Microsoft, has to multi multi multi millionaire from stock options....but he was holidaying in this totally non descript, but very beautiful place, that Mrs U and I, who were poor research students could even afford.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The White Lotus is highly entertaining, in a lightweight way

Oh god no...I thought it was terrible.
    It's not Chernobyl, nor is it Breaking Bad

But as an amusing insight into the idiotic rich people that go to mexa-luxe resorts, it is excellent. It nails them. Their narcissism, their fatuity, their unknowing cruelty and vulgarity

Perhaps I am biased as a Dildo Knappers Gazette Correspondent, I've seen these people countless times, and they are exactly like this
    I get the premise, these people are US equivalent of RAHs, with the woke kids....but its doesn't go anywhere for hours. IMO it becomes as tiresome has having to actually put up with these people in real life for hours. If I wanted to experience that I would go on an XR march.
    The characters are superbly drawn. These Americans are REALLY like this. The super-rich families whose kids just stay on their screens, in their $5000 a night suites

I went to a safari camp in Kafue in Zambia once, mega luxurious on the Busanga Plains, you have to fly in, I was told that just before me the entire camp had been rented by Paul Allen of Microsoft, for his family. He hired several helicopters to make sure everything was brought in, including satellite dishes and the like, to make sure that he and his kids were always online, despite this being one of the most remote places on earth (ordinarily there is no wifi let alone mobile signal)

Probably cost him a million dollars for one holiday. Or more. Poor chap is dead now
    I don't know if times just changed or I had an abnormal experience.

When I was doing my PhD, I was in the US for a bit and I took a vacation to the arse end of nowhere, some fairly unpretentious cabins by a lake in the Pacific Northwest.

Next cabin to myself and Mrs U, family turned up via a really nice boat that must have cost a fair bit, but seemed nice normal people, got chatting, nothing particularly out of the ordinary. Kids seemed normal, had them out doing things jobs needed for the fires and general chores needed when you do that sort of trip.

Guy asks me about my research, seems overly interested without asking anything particularly technical. We hang out for a couple of days, and then they go to leave.

Guy comes over, hands me a card, says when you finished if you fancy a job, drop me a message...not going to say who (as name won't mean anything to anybody outside the biz anyway), but super high up Microsoft, has to multi multi multi millionaire from stock options....but he was holidaying in this totally non descript, but very beautiful place, that Mrs U and I, who were poor research students could even afford.
    For clarity: it wasn't Paul Allen - I just Googled, and he had no kids (and I do not wish to libel the dead). Maybe it was Gates.

It was definitely one of 'em. and this was the story told me by several Kafue staffers and rangers. They all confirmed it. Mad rich people with freaky kids
  • I am nearing 78 and I could not fulfil the diary of the POTUS

After weeks of talks with @GBNEWS, resulting in exit settlement, the channel then broke it by briefing Mail on Sunday with load of smears/lies then unilaterally cancelling exit deal. Leaving me free to do, say whatever I want + never again be on GBNews. Couldn’t be happier.

Yet another triumph.
    The endless successes that Andra produces through the labours of his own chubby wee fingers is startling, particularly in the face of everyone else fcuking up. Generous of him to share his happiness on twitter also.

How's that changey hopey right wingy but not foxy loony, break the mouldy thing workin' out for y'all?

edited September 2021

I am nearing 78 and I could not fulfil the diary of the POTUS

Especially in the modern era, its a young mans gig. The world doesn't work where you can go AWOL for days on end , without it all going to pot pretty quickly.

Brutally speaking, late 70s is too old to be a new first term President of the USA. 70 should be the cut-off point for eligibility. That would have - happily - ruled out Trump AND Biden.
  • I am nearing 78 and I could not fulfil the diary of the POTUS

I'll bet you could if you spent less time on here!
  • FPT but absolutely relevant to this one, I think @Leon absolutely 100% hit the nail on the head with this section in bold.
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

White House press secretary Jen Psaki blamed British Prime Minister Boris Johnson for chaos in Oval Office
    https://trib.al/Dcv1A5u

The "chaos" being that Boris gave journalists an opportunity to ask questions and Biden doesn't like answering questions? 🤔
    Its was absolutely ridiculous that supposed the most powerful man in the world is too old and confused to be able to answer some questions so a press official has to scream and shout over any of the journalists to stop any question getting caught on tape.

Nor is that democracy.
    Also, how can they possibly keep this up until 2024? He's not going to get LESS old and confused
    Things can only get better worse.
  • Leon said:

Brutally speaking, late 70s is too old to be a new first term President of the USA. 70 should be the cut-off point for eligibility. That would have - happily - ruled out Trump AND Biden.
    About 50 seems like the ideal age. Old enough to have hopefully done something else in life, but not too old to be overwhelmed by the shear size of the task.
  • Politics For All has been sent THREE angry messages from Keir Starmer’s team for leaking his 14,000 word essay. Including one threat. Not acceptable.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1440780033044353033?s=20
  • That Biden is a ruthless operator and powerful friend of Brexit Britain thing didn't last long.

Leon said:

About 50 seems like the ideal age. Old enough to have hopefully done something else in life, but not too old to be overwhelmed by the shear size of the task.
    50-60 certainly. Our best modern peacetime PM, as we all agree, was Thatcher. She became PM at 54. Energetic but wise, engaged and alert, but blessed with the perspective of years. She probably went on a couple of years too long, but anyway, she rocked it

78 is just too fucking old. It just IS. Especially if you're not in especially good mental shape, and I fear that is the case for Crazy Joe
    edited September 2021
    AI could deliver transformational benefits for the UK and the world - accelerating science and unlocking progress on key challenges facing society. Great to see the scale of the opportunity recognised in the UK #NationalAIStrategy - excited to see how it translates into action!

https://twitter.com/demishassabis/status/1440688117304872971?s=20

But what does Demis know....some lady who did an Religious Studies degree / PhD and claims to be an "anthropologist in AI / Robotics", claims something something Brexit, something something British exceptionalism is stupid...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/22/uk-publishes-plan-to-become-ai-superpower-and-rival-us-and-china.html

That Biden is a ruthless operator and powerful friend of Brexit Britain thing didn't last long.

Like his attention span?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited September 2021
    2024 could be a landslide for GOP but they've got to ditch Trump and choose someone sensible.
  • No more betting firms to sponsor front of football shirts after Government's review of gambling laws - with wider ban on advertising on TV commercials and pitchside hoardings under consideration

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10018601/No-betting-firms-sponsor-football-shirts-governments-review-gambling-laws.html
    Leon said:

Leon said:

50-60 certainly. Our best modern peacetime PM, as we all agree, was Thatcher. She became PM at 54. Energetic but wise, engaged and alert, but blessed with the perspective of years. She probably went on a couple of years too long, but anyway, she rocked it

78 is just too fucking old. It just IS. Especially if you're not in especially good mental shape, and I fear that is the case for Crazy Joe
    I hope he wins a second term, I think him still being President at 86 would be hilarious.

AI could deliver transformational benefits for the UK and the world - accelerating science and unlocking progress on key challenges facing society. Great to see the scale of the opportunity recognised in the UK #NationalAIStrategy - excited to see how it translates into action!

But what does Demis know....some lady who did an Religious Studies degree / PhD and claims to be an "anthropologist in AI / Robotics", claims something something Brexit, something something British exceptionalism is stupid...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/22/uk-publishes-plan-to-become-ai-superpower-and-rival-us-and-china.html

Anthropology is the most rancidly Woke of academic fields. It is 100% cultural Marxist. It is basically Black Lives Matter plus XR plus the Frankfurt School plus Riots R Great plus extra posho Green Woke Guilty Guardianista Stupidity. it is bereft of actual science. It makes Geography look like Quantum Physics in terms of judicious political neutrality
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    I don't think candidates will get much younger in the future. Voters are getting older all the time.
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

Anthropology is the most rancidly Woke of academic fields. It is 100% cultural Marxist. It is basically Black Lives Matter plus XR plus the Frankfurt School plus Riots R Great plus extra posho Green Woke Guilty Guardianista Stupidity. it is bereft of actual science. It makes Geography look like Quantum Physics in terms of judicious political neutrality
    I don't even really know what an "anthropologist in AI / Robotics" does, and how doing an RS degree / PhD qualifies you for such a position.

What I do know, is I highly doubt such a background has any real insight into cutting edge AI research, as conducted by the likes of Demis....but Brexit Brexit Brexit, British exceptionalism in AI is nonsense, hence why Google, Microsoft, Amazon, etc definitely don't have very large well funded research centres here and DeepMinds definitely don't have special privileges to flip the switch on Google massive worldwide infrastructure to use it for cutting edge AI research.
  • Leon said:

The idea that anyone over 50 has career ambitions that extend beyond plodding on until retirement baffles me.

Time to take your foot off the gas and let inertia carry you over the line.

Leon said:

I don't even really know what an "anthropologist in AI / Robotics" does, and how doing an RS degree / PhD qualifies you for such a position.

What I do know, is I highly doubt such a background has any real insight into cutting edge AI research, as conducted by the likes of Demis.
    It's actually quite important, because if we let the Woke capture AI (GPT3, 4, 5, 9) then they will cripple it in the West. China will have no such issues, and they will utterly vanquish us
    Andy_JS said:

I don't think candidates will get much younger in the future. Voters are getting older all the time.

They are, but it's not as though politicians just get older and older to match the changing demographics. Blair and Cameron were young PMs followed by older but not very old PMs. Clinton and Obama were young Presidents, with Bush in between then older but not a great deal so.

If imcumbents seem doddering or out of touch there may be a reaction against that toward younger candidates (Trump is a bit different perhaps - he might be both, but he's certainly energetic and lively in campaigning).
    Strange how they have a lower limit. 35 minimum. But no upper one.
    Shows how the Constitution, the most advanced political document of its day, desperately needs updating to become a document for today.
  • kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I hope he wins a second term, I think him still being President at 86 would be hilarious.
    The alternative is a neo-fascist.

Leon said:

The idea that anyone over 50 has career ambitions that extend beyond plodding on until retirement baffles me.

If the ambition is to run an entire country then the plan may need a bit more time alloted for it.

Indeed, doing it early then having nothing to carry you over the line (as you will be told to shut up about politics, and criticised if you make money) can also be a problem.
  • GIN1138 said:

2024 could be a landslide for GOP but they've got to ditch Trump and choose someone sensible.

Indeed. But it aint gonna happen unless orange jump suits are involved.
  • But what does Demis know....some lady who did an Religious Studies degree / PhD and claims to be an "anthropologist in AI / Robotics", claims something something Brexit, something something British exceptionalism is stupid...

She's published "An Ethnographic Discussion of Existential Hope and Despair in AI Apocalypticism" which explores "an anthropology of anxiety around the hoped for, or feared, posthuman future."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/zygo.12494

Hopefully the AI budget won't go into 'research' like that.
    GIN1138 said:

But they won't. So it's all to play for. After a nap that is.
    edited September 2021

She's published "An Ethnographic Discussion of Existential Hope and Despair in AI Apocalypticism" which explores "an anthropology of anxiety around the hoped for, or feared, posthuman future."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/zygo.12494

Hopefully the AI budget won't go into 'research' like that.
    I am not sure the new venture I am joining shortly will be hiring such an individual. We have a fair bit of runway, but not sure we can stretch to such a luxury.
  • Politics For All has been sent THREE angry messages from Keir Starmer’s team for leaking his 14,000 word essay. Including one threat. Not acceptable.

Are they saying Pol 4 All broke the embargo?

Isn't it some student in a bedroom who is very very good at passing on other people's news items and playing the algorithms? fair play to him/him but it is not the Washington Post.

Why send him/her an embargoed item of this stature?

Bonkers?
  • Regarding batsmen / batters...

...do we now have a fielder on the third person boundary?

Good night all.
    dixiedean said:

Strange how they have a lower limit. 35 minimum. But no upper one.
    Shows how the Constitution, the most advanced political document of its day, desperately needs updating to become a document for today.

Is that strange? I'm not aware of upper limits on age being a common thing in politics, though I could be wrong. It wouldn't be surprising, the whole point of gaining power could well be to cling on as long as you can. If someone is still capable and people still back them, then are limits necessary?

In a way no upper limit is not so much of a problem if you could rely on parties not to select people who are incapable of doing the job anymore, or rely on people not to vote for people who are incapable, but that is not very likely. Even at Cllr level it can be a struggle to prevent someone not mentally up to it from restanding, either because they might appear ok, or just stubborn it out and find enough signatures.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2021

Politics For All has been sent THREE angry messages from Keir Starmer’s team for leaking his 14,000 word essay. Including one threat. Not acceptable.

What does it say?

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES KEIR A DULL BOY
    ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES KEIR A DULL BOY

?
    edited September 2021

Leon said:

Nah - voters should judge people by what they're like, not by their birthdate - it's something to consider, but not the main issue. I'm 71 - I have a full-time senior day job, a thriving weekend translation business, and I'm on the Borough Council executive, which took all of the last 3 evenings. I'm also chair of the constituency Labour Party and have a reasonably active social life. Basically I'm always doing something and don't take time out.

Is that a boast? No, I'm just lucky to be healthy and in various jobs that I enjoy, and not having intermissions and meditating is just personal choice. But I'm reasonably good at what I do and it'd be daft to choose someone to do one or all of them instead just because they were 69.

Come back when you are expected to work 18hrs+ a day, 7 days a week, week in, week out, while having to travel around the US / world every other week, moving from time zone to time zone. And even when you do get a nap, you regularly get woken up in the dead of night, because something urgent has come up.

It just isn't comparable to saying you have a 9-5 day job, some some bits and pieces in the evenings and have a social life.

I don't believe any 70 year olds can operate at that level.
    Latest Italian opinion poll, from Ixè.

PD 19.4%
    Lega 19.3
    Fdl 18.2%
    M5S 18.0%
    FI 7.9%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Italian_general_election#2021
    If this chart is accurate Italy has the highest age limit for holding office, needing to be 50 to be President. The rest seem pretty arbitrary with lots of 35s and 40s, but interesting you can be 18 and Presient of France apparently (despite needing to be 24 to be in their Upper House).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_candidacy#Comparison_chart

Leon said:

That's way too early. A lot of people have done amazing things in their 60s and early 70s, with continuing ambition

Painters, poets and architects often peak in those decades. And also politicians. The accumulated knowledge adds up to something special, Churchill was 65 when he became Prime Minister in 1940. It is extremely hard to argue that he was a bad choice

But by the 1950s he was in his late 70s. Too old

Leon said:

Nah - voters should judge people by what they're like, not by their birthdate - it's something to consider, but not the main issue. I'm 71 - I have a full-time senior day job, a thriving weekend translation business, and I'm on the Borough Council executive, which took all of the last 3 evenings. I'm also chair of the constituency Labour Party and have a reasonably active social life. Basically I'm always doing something and don't take time out.

Is that a boast? No, I'm just lucky to be healthy and in various jobs that I enjoy, and not having intermissions and meditating is just personal choice. But I'm reasonably good at what I do and it'd be daft to choose someone else to do one or all of them instead just because they were 69.

Totally agree with this. Age alone shouldn't be used to determine anything.
  • Leon said:

Is that a boast? No, I'm just lucky to be healthy and in various jobs that I enjoy, and not having intermissions and meditating is just personal choice. But I'm reasonably good at what I do and it'd be daft to choose someone to do one or all of them instead just because they were 69.

Come back when you are expected to work 18hrs+ a day, 7 days a week, week in, week out, while having to travel around the US / world every other week, moving from time zone to time zone. And even when you do get a nap, you regularly get woken up in the dead of night, because something urgent has come up.

It just isn't comparable to saying you have a 9-5 day job, some some bits and pieces in the evenings and have a social life.

I regularly work 7 days a week, 60-70hrs a week, but I don't keep that up for 4 years straight. And I have to take a month off to recover from that, and I am nowhere near 70.

Leon said:

Is that a boast? No, I'm just lucky to be healthy and in various jobs that I enjoy, and not having intermissions and meditating is just personal choice. But I'm reasonably good at what I do and it'd be daft to choose someone else to do one or all of them instead just because they were 69.

Good for you - seriously. Keeping old people active and productive is going to be an important part of humanity's future, both for old people and for society as a whole. And for me. I will be old soon enough

But there is a big difference between 71 and 78 (those ARE years of decline, I fear) and there is a HUGE difference between what you do and what the President of the USA has to do

I'm not being brutally unfair. I'm saying 70 or at most 75 should be a cut-off date to be a new first term president of the USA. Ruling out Biden

Hopefully medical science will change all this in years to come, and dementia and senility and the like will be defeated. But until then.....
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Leon said:

fpt for Francis

The characters in White Lotus are superbly drawn. These Americans are REALLY like this. The super-rich families whose kids just stay on their screens, in their $5000 a night suites

I went to a safari camp in Kafue in Zambia once, mega luxurious on the Busanga Plains, you have to fly in, I was told that just before me the entire camp had been rented by a billionaire Microsoft dude, for his family. He hired several helicopters to make sure everything was brought in, including satellite dishes and the like, to make sure that he and his kids were always online, despite this being one of the most remote places on earth (ordinarily there is no wifi let alone mobile signal)

Assume you are a billionaire making 5% post tax return (fairly conservative). That’s $50m of spending money a year.

$1m is 2% of that - equivalent to about about £300-400 for the person on median income in the Uk (approximation).
  • "In a half-dozen studies published over the past few weeks, Moderna’s vaccine appeared to be more protective than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in the months after immunization."

Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both Knockouts, but One Seems to Have the Edge
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/health/covid-moderna-pfizer-vaccines.html
  • AI could deliver transformational benefits for the UK and the world - accelerating science and unlocking progress on key challenges facing society. Great to see the scale of the opportunity recognised in the UK #NationalAIStrategy - excited to see how it translates into action!

Demis is boss of Deep Mind, the great British AI success story which inevitably got bought by Google and that is the government's first challenge – to keep British successes British and not just become research arms of American firms.

The second is to support British cloud hosting, supercomputing and quantum computing or those will be more areas where British AI research spaffs money across the Atlantic.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited September 2021
    Ford I believe also had a rating almost as bad as Biden and Trump at this stage.

However just because you are an older president does not mean you cannot articulate a vision. Reagan for instance was 70 already when he finished his first year in office, was re elected by a landslide and probably the most influential president since FDR in terms of setting the way for winning the Cold War and a surge in US economic growth
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,770
    HYUFD said:

Ford I believe also had a rating as bad as Biden and Trump at this stage.

However just because you are an older president does not mean you cannot articulate a vision. Reagan for instance was 70 already when he finished his first year in office, was re elected by a landslide and probably the most influential president since FDR in terms of setting the way for winning the Cold War and a surge in US economic growth

Although Ford wasn't elected, so not necessarily a good comparison.
    Andy_JS said:

PD 19.4%
    Lega 19.3
    Fdl 18.2%
    M5S 18.0%
    FI 7.9%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_Italian_general_election#2021

It's important to remember that Italy has gotten rid of the "bonus" seats thing. So, ummm..., coalition building will be interesting.
  • Sport and SPotY – the next few days see golf's Ryder Cup (where USA are favourites to beat Europe) and boxer Anthony Joshua is favoured to beat Oleksandr Usyk. It is doubtful any new challengers for SPotY will emerge, but possible.
    Charles said:

Leon said:

fpt for Francis

Assume you are a billionaire making 5% post tax return (fairly conservative). That’s $50m of spending money a year.

$1m is 2% of that - equivalent to about about £300-400 for the person on median income in the Uk (approximation).
    I know, It's mad

The super-rich are rich in a way most people cannot comprehend. You CAN drop a million on a holiday and it is the equivalent to going to IKEA for the average punter
  • In late 2018, 70% of Tory MPs were ‘optimistic the UK will be able to quickly sign deals with major powers such as China and the US.’

https://twitter.com/dralanwager/status/1440770581989715969?s=21
    edited September 2021

Leon said:

Most PMs and Presidents are over 50, as are most company chairmen and ceos and judges and generals.

If you reach 50 your hopes of being a sports star or film star may be over if you have not already done it but your chances of getting to the top in politics or business are only really coming to a head.

As Prince Charles can also well attest becoming a monarch often requires waiting until well past retirement age
  • Picasso kept doing stuff until the end (aged 91).

Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney - 80 odd each - are both still making work, maybe some of the best of their careers.
    Andy_JS said:

PD 19.4%
    Lega 19.3
    Fdl 18.2%
    M5S 18.0%
    FI 7.9%

What bloody voting system are they using this time though? Or don't we know yet?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited September 2021

Leon said:

That sounds like fun, actually - I'd love to try. But my point is that age is crap as a serious guide - it's like nationality, it tells you something but it's a very rough guide. Sure, many Italians like singing, but should the opera select singers on whether they're Italian?

Also, I think voters should get to choose, weighing up all the factors and deciding what matters to them. Biden is older than Trump and less of a live wire. Voters thought it over and decided they preferred him, and I suspect many felt frankly they wouldn't care what he was like so long as he wasn't Trump. Why should we refuse them that choice by saying that 75 is a total bar?
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

PD 19.4%
    Lega 19.3
    Fdl 18.2%
    M5S 18.0%
    FI 7.9%

What bloody voting system are they using this time though? Or don't we know yet?
    Hopefully what system they use it will be far from bloody. But in this day and age...
    Morgan Freeman rose to fame after 50. Although he had been a top Shakespearean actor before.
    Like I said. Rose to fame. Which is odd. Since he seems to have been around for ever.
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

PD 19.4%
    Lega 19.3
    Fdl 18.2%
    M5S 18.0%
    FI 7.9%

It's important to remember that Italy has gotten rid of the "bonus" seats thing. So, ummm..., coalition building will be interesting.
    The current government of PD, Lega, M5S and FI already has over 50% on that poll even if the centre left and centre right blocks are neck and neck

Picasso kept doing stuff until the end (aged 91).

Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney - 80 odd each - are both still making work, maybe some of the best of their careers.

Neither are running their country.
    Hang on a minute though...
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Good for you - seriously. Keeping old people active and productive is going to be an important part of humanity's future, both for old people and for society as a whole. And for me. I will be old soon enough

But there is a big difference between 71 and 78 (those ARE years of decline, I fear) and there is a HUGE difference between what you do and what the President of the USA has to do

I'm not being brutally unfair. I'm saying 70 or at most 75 should be a cut-off date to be a new first term president of the USA. Ruling out Biden

Hopefully medical science will change all this in years to come, and dementia and senility and the like will be defeated. But until then.....
    It's interesting that there is a minimum age for being POTUS (I believe AOC fell just out of it last time) and not a maximum age.

Hmm. Remind me again who writes the rules.

Leon said:

I know of lots of people in their 70s who are still working full time and have no plans to retire.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That's way too early. A lot of people have done amazing things in their 60s and early 70s, with continuing ambition

Painters, poets and architects often peak in those decades. And also politicians. The accumulated knowledge adds up to something special, Churchill was 65 when he became Prime Minister in 1940. It is extremely hard to argue that he was a bad choice

But by the 1950s he was in his late 70s. Too old
    "I have drawn things since I was 6. All that I made before the age of 65 is not worth counting. At 73 I began to understand the true construction of animals, plants, trees, birds, fishes, and insects. At 90 I will enter into the secret of things. At 110, everything - every dot, every dash - will live." Hokusai

And also hang on.
    "Some of the best of their careers?"
    Blonde on Blonde, Revolver, Highway 61, The White Album, Blood on the Tracks. ...
    Not really.
    Very decent? I'll give you that.

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's interesting that there is a minimum age for being POTUS (I believe AOC fell just out of it last time) and not a maximum age.

Hmm. Remind me again who writes the rules.
    AOC only qualifies for the next one by a month.
  • dixiedean said:

And also hang on.
    Blonde on Blonde, Revolver, Highway 61, The White Album, Blood on the Tracks. ...
    Not really.
    What has Paul McCartney done recently apart from pop up from time to time to murder Live And Let Die?

Ah, I remember partying with Demis at the Mondrian on Sunset in LA, when he was just a video game entrepreneur.
  • "In a half-dozen studies published over the past few weeks, Moderna’s vaccine appeared to be more protective than the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine in the months after immunization."

Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both Knockouts, but One Seems to Have the Edge
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/health/covid-moderna-pfizer-vaccines.html

That's why in the UK, they only gave Moderna to the best and the brightest ;-)

dixiedean said:

And also hang on.
    Not really.
    What has Paul McCartney done recently apart from pop up from time to time to murder Live And Let Die?
    He has a farm in Sussex near one of my father's friends where he seems to spend a lot of time.

He might do the odd concert or write the odd new song but he is not doing a full time job 7 days a week like Biden is

Leon said:

I'm not a million years from fifty (forty seven...), and I'm as ambitious as I've ever been.
    edited September 2021

Demis is boss of Deep Mind, the great British AI success story which inevitably got bought by Google and that is the government's first challenge – to keep British successes British and not just become research arms of American firms.

The second is to support British cloud hosting, supercomputing and quantum computing or those will be more areas where British AI research spaffs money across the Atlantic.
    That's all fair and there are a new wave of exciting companies coming through in this space e.g Secondmind.

My point was the biz seems reasonably favourable that the government are forming a strategy around this, but some non-entity who knows the square route of f##k all about cutting edge AI immediately bleating about Brexit and British exceptionalism....I am surprised she didn't get something about colonialism in there just for good measure.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

What I do know, is I highly doubt such a background has any real insight into cutting edge AI research, as conducted by the likes of Demis.
    It's actually quite important, because if we let the Woke capture AI (GPT3, 4, 5, 9) then they will cripple it in the West. China will have no such issues, and they will utterly vanquish us
    That makes literally no sense.

GPT is open source. You want to make a change, you fork the project and you make it.

All the woke in the world won't change it, for better or for worse.
    edited September 2021

dixiedean said:

And also hang on.
    Not really.
    Dunno. Ask @Gardenwalker. I speak with a little knowledge on Dylan. I reckon, however, had Macca done some of the best of his career recently, either you or I might have casually heard it in passing.
    And thought bloody hell that’s good.
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

GPT is open source. You want to make a change, you fork the project and you make it.

The missing part was OpenAI have been very secretive about where they found all the data to train such a massive model, but of course somebody has worked it out and now you can even get a script that goes off an collects it all (and more).
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

They are, but it's not as though politicians just get older and older to match the changing demographics. Blair and Cameron were young PMs followed by older but not very old PMs. Clinton and Obama were young Presidents, with Bush in between then older but not a great deal so.

If imcumbents seem doddering or out of touch there may be a reaction against that toward younger candidates (Trump is a bit different perhaps - he might be both, but he's certainly energetic and lively in campaigning).
    Clinton, Bush and Trump were all born in 1946.

As, come to mention it, was OGH.

Spooky...
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited September 2021

dixiedean said:

And also hang on.
    Not really.
    He wrote and recorded a new album McCartney III in the lockdown.

Had a rockdown in the lockdown lol!
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

PD 19.4%
    Lega 19.3
    Fdl 18.2%
    M5S 18.0%
    FI 7.9%

It doesn't look promising with those numbers.
  • GIN1138 said:

dixiedean said:

And also hang on.
    Not really.
    He wrote and recorded a new album McCartney III in the lockdown.

Had a rockdown in the lockdown lol!
    I'm afraid that wasn't on my radar, but I did see some of Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Toyah's lockdown performances.
  • No more betting firms to sponsor front of football shirts after Government's review of gambling laws - with wider ban on advertising on TV commercials and pitchside hoardings under consideration

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10018601/No-betting-firms-sponsor-football-shirts-governments-review-gambling-laws.html

Something must be done; this is something; therefore... (ht Yes Minister).

The trouble is that many are against gambling per se, not just compulsive gambling. Ironically this makes it harder to get legislation to support responsible punters like us.

New gambling minister Chris Philp has barely got his legs under the desk. Is someone trying to bounce him or his equally new boss, Nadine Dorries?
    GIN1138 said:

Oh yes.

Kamala is the likely candidate, and she's pretty awful. But Trump is unlikely to have gotten any saner in the next three years.

Sigh.

edited September 2021

No more betting firms to sponsor front of football shirts after Government's review of gambling laws - with wider ban on advertising on TV commercials and pitchside hoardings under consideration

The trouble is that many are against gambling per se, not just compulsive gambling. Ironically this makes it harder to get legislation to support responsible punters like us.

New gambling minister Chris Philp has barely got his legs under the desk. Is someone trying to bounce him or his equally new boss, Nadine Dorries?
    Actually, one of the big issue with particularly EPL gambling sponsorship, is they are inadvertently facilitating illegal gambling elsewhere.

Ever wondered who the hell are a lot of these gambling companies are, most of which also have Chinese language version in their logo. And how they seem to be here one season, gone the next. The open secret is they don't actually want your business, if you go to their site, most are just white labelled sportsbook of a bigger operator.

The real money is if you try and visit that same site in the Far East....you don't get sent to the white labelled sportsbook, you get sent to an illegal bookmaker, who will happily take your bets via things like crypto, and the biggest operator of this network is a well known Triad.

https://www.nacional.hr/football-leaks-how-chinese-triad-online-bookmaker-paul-phua-bought-coast-of-montenegro/

No more betting firms to sponsor front of football shirts after Government's review of gambling laws - with wider ban on advertising on TV commercials and pitchside hoardings under consideration

Yes. However, this is all of a piece with banning booze adverts. Most folk drink responsibly most of the time. They sometimes go a bit overboard, but a few can't control it. Etc., etc.
    But hey ho. Boris is an instinctive liberal.
    We are repeatedly told. Ad nauseum
    edited September 2021
    dixiedean said:

Yes. However, this is all of a piece with banning booze adverts. Most folk drink responsibly most of the time. They sometimes go a bit overboard, but a few can't control it. Etc., etc.
    The idea of these affordability checks are far more insidious, resulting in having to send unredacted bank statements to prove you can afford to lose more than a very low amount per month.

Actually, one of the big issue with particularly EPL gambling sponsorship, is they are inadvertently facilitating illegal gambling elsewhere.

Ever wondered who the hell are a lot of these gambling companies are, most of which also have Chinese language version in their logo. And how they seem to be here one season, gone the next. The open secret is they don't actually want your business, if you go to their site, most are just white labelled sportsbook of a bigger operator.

The real money is if you try and visit that same site in the Far East....you don't get sent to the white labelled sportsbook, you get sent to an illegal bookmaker, who will happily take your bets via things like crypto, and the biggest operator of this network is a well known Triad.

https://www.nacional.hr/football-leaks-how-chinese-triad-online-bookmaker-paul-phua-bought-coast-of-montenegro/
    Drawing some of this thread together. Who is a "Triad", and who is a Chinese entrepreneur is difficult to distinguish. As it is in Russia tbf.
    They do business at suffrance of the State. And owe it fealty.
    Maybe Foxy is right and Xi is cracking down. No sense Putin is.
    Folk need to scrub the idea you can do normal business in either place.
    edited September 2021
    dixiedean said:

Drawing some of this thread together. Who is a "Triad", and who is a Chinese entrepreneur is difficult to distinguish. As it is in Russia tbf.
    Paul Phua is most definitely not your average Chinese (he's Malaysian for starters) entrepreneur or operating with suffrance of the state. The FBI say he is a triad, that's good enough for me.

And he doesn't do business in China like that, I don't believe he even enters mainland China.
    edited September 2021

dixiedean said:

The idea of these affordability checks are far more insidious, resulting in having to send unredacted bank statements to prove you can afford to lose more than a very low amount per month.
    Indeed. Working in private sector mental health provision means unredacted simply isn't an option.
    Not without a High Court order.

dixiedean said:

Paul Phua is most definitely not your average Chinese entrepreneur or operating with suffrance of the state. The FBI say he is a triad, that's good enough for me. And he doesn't do business in China like that, I don't believe he even enters mainland China.
    Triad culture is most prevalent and most blatant amongst the diaspora. But has strong roots at home too. Russia too.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Google "Woke", "GPT3" and "AI"

They are intent on handicapping it, severely
  • On top of Paul Phua, there is also the issue of Eastern European organised crime involvement in these dodgy betting companies.

Hopefully this will apply to cricket shirts as well, although I don't know who their latest sponsor is.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080

Leon said:

Betty Boothroyd is nearly of the age when someone needs to make a patronising reference to her age whilst speaking from a position next to her in the Lords.

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Google "Woke", "GPT3" and "AI"

They are intent on handicapping it, severely
    Yes, they can do what the hell they like, and you (yes you), can download the source of GPT3 and do what you like with it. You can make it so that all characters names are African. Or that all women gaze sultrily. Anything you like, you can do (if you have the technical skills).

Anyone woke can happily handicap GPT3, and it'll get happily forked.
  • dixiedean said:

iirc the NCSC (National Cyber Security Centre, and shouldn't cybersecurity be one word btw?) has already expressed concern about the protection of uploaded documents.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/21/wuhan-scientists-planned-releaseskin-penetrating-nanoparticles/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

New documents show that just 18 months before the first Covid-19 cases appeared, researchers had submitted plans to release skin-penetrating nanoparticles and aerosols containing “novel chimeric spike proteins” of bat coronaviruses into cave bats in Yunnan, China.

They also planned to create chimeric viruses, genetically enhanced to infect humans more easily, and requested $14million from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa) to fund the work.

Pretty much wraps up the argument about lab origin.
This discussion has been closed.