Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The trend in Johnson’s leader ratings is not looking good – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2021 in General
imageThe trend in Johnson’s leader ratings is not looking good – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    He is doomed.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,049
    IshmaelZ said:

He is doomed.

I do hope so!
  • Crickey this guy has the royal flush of unacceptable views / statements....racist, sexist, homophobic, antisemitic, holocaust denier...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9879795/Parish-chairman-Stratford-Avon-forced-resign-racist-emails.html
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

He is doomed.

I do hope so!
    Hopefully Johnson himself realises it'll be time for a new leader within 12 to 18 months.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    On topic - Red wallers coming to their senses. I hope.
  • Andy_JS said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

He is doomed.

I do hope so!
    Hopefully Johnson himself realises it'll be time for a new leader within 12 to 18 months.
    His bank manager may suggest a change of career would be wise.
  • Keir Starmer has a good chance at being PM of a minority Government, higher than most think
    On sucking CO2 out of the atmosphere....

There is a system known as Technology for Reversing Environmental Emissions.

Better known by its initials.

Ending deforestation and implementing reforestation - with the right tree species in the right places - not only results in CO2 removal from the atmosphere but has a host of other environmental benefits. Flood mitigation. Biodiversity. Arresting species loss.

I'm sure we all remember the tree planting Top Trumps played by the parties in the last GE campaign. The question is, how many have Bozo and his chums actually planted?
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Foxy said:

Methane is an interesting one, it's a good 40% of the overall warming effect but it only loiters in the atmosphere for 4-12 years, and then it pisses off.

Trouble is, when it's up there it's up to 30 times more effective at warming than CO2. But, once it's down (way down) the contributing factor it provides goes away very quickly.

So that's something - again natural gas and industry uses (including landfill) are leaky and naughty on this, as well as rice paddies and farms, particularly cattle, and there's an awful lot of microbes in them.

Ripe for bioengineering out, if you ask me.

Yes. You only need to cut methane emissions from agriculture in half and it has the potential to reduce the concentration of methane in the atmosphere quite quickly. It gives much more potential for helping us out in an overshoot scenario.

Sucking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere is much harder, because while we're burning fossil fuels the oceans absorb a large proportion of that, and that naturally goes in reverse when you are removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, as the oceans will release some of the carbon dioxide they absorbed previously.

This is why stopping burning fossil fuels is much more urgent, as those emissions are much closer to being forever, while methane emissions are much easier to deal with later.
    Yep. Cattle farming is a major emitter.
    There's a British company that has developed a feed additive made from a type of seaweed that cuts methane from cattle farming by over 90% iirc. The technology is currently in scale up and has got a lot of interested parties. If it can be rolled out globally the methane issue from livestock goes away.
    Ssshht. Don't mention practical technological solutions like that!

That will upset the Lefties with an agenda as they then don't have a figleaf to force us to give up beef.
    Methane is just one of the many environmentally destructive features of the increasing numbers of cattle in the world. Water consumption is ferocious, and that will be a big issue as water sources dry up.

https://foodtank.com/news/2013/12/why-meat-eats-resources/

You are one of the examples of why the Green agenda of the Tories will fail. No one is serious about the lifestyle changes required.
    We also have some pretty amazing desalination technology in development all over the world that can make seawater drinkable. I'm not sure this is as big of an issue as you think it is.
    Water is not being destroyed. It is merely an engineering challenge to make sure it is in the right places at the right time.
    Looks as though California has a pretty big engineering challenge, then.
    Desalination might help at the margin, but it’s not a solution.
    The amount of water in the world is basically fixed. The amount that is sucked up into the atmosphere via evaporation is, if anything, rising slightly.

The big issue in California is that water is not properly charged for, resulting in the astonishing fact that 10% of California's water, or 1.1 trillion gallons, is used for almond farming.

In total, around 80% of California's collected water is used for agriculture, including many areas where it is marginal at best. Proper charging for water would be very bad for some farmers, but could very easily put the State into a water surplus, and allow Lake Mead and other reservoirs to be refilled.

Edit to add: fact for the day, it takes a Californian almond grower around a gallon of water (which probably landed as snow in the Rockies) to produce a single almond. That's nuts, that is.
    When we burn hydrocarbons we make water.

Buy an SUV to help prevent drought.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    Yet Johnson is still preferred PM over Starmer and Sunak

Keir Starmer has a good chance at being PM of a minority Government, higher than most think

Yes but only with the support of Scottish and Welsh MPs, England alone will almost certainly have a Tory majority again next time
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    HYUFD said:

Keir Starmer has a good chance at being PM of a minority Government, higher than most think

Yes but only with the support of Scottish and Welsh MPs, England alone will almost certainly have a Tory majority again next time
    Does that mean it doesn't count?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742
    edited August 2021
    HYUFD said:

Tory British nat reverts to English nat when it suits, has this ever happened before?
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

HYUFD said:

Tory British nat reverts to English nat when it suits, has this ever happened before?
    England Proper and Greater England. Easy to get mixed up.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,853

On sucking CO2 out of the atmosphere....

There is a system known as Technology for Reversing Environmental Emissions.

Better known by its initials.

Ending deforestation and implementing reforestation - with the right tree species in the right places - not only results in CO2 removal from the atmosphere but has a host of other environmental benefits. Flood mitigation. Biodiversity. Arresting species loss.

I'm sure we all remember the tree planting Top Trumps played by the parties in the last GE campaign. The question is, how many have Bozo and his chums actually planted?

I'm not sure trees actually work that well in the UK as a carbon sink. Bogs are much better (don't buy peat!!). That doesn't mean we couldn't have a few more, though.

The best place to have trees for this purpose is in the tropics.

Transition? Pull the other one. The Brexit Revolution has only just begun.

‘Emergency Brexit powers for lorry queues to be made permanent’
    - Exclusive: ministers to make traffic provisions indefinite in expectation of further cross-Channel disruption

… Naomi Smith, the chief executive of the internationalist campaign group Best for Britain, said: “This is an admission that far from ‘teething problems’, the government expects supply problems from their rushed Brexit deal to continue indefinitely. Shelves are empty and our supply chains are already at breaking point. The government should be seeking improvements to their deal with Europe rather than preparing to make Kent a permanent lorry park.”

… Operation Brock has proved unpopular with residents as a way of managing lorry traffic…

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/10/emergency-brexit-powers-for-lorry-queues-to-be-made-permanent

HYUFD said:

I am not an English Nat, I am a Unionist and recognise the whole UK elects the UK government, not just England.

I do however want England to have its own Parliament the same as the other 3 home nations have for most of its domestic policy
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am not an English Nat, I am a Unionist and recognise the whole UK elects the UK government, not just England.

I do however want England to have its own Parliament the same as the other 3 home nations have for most of its domestic policy
    Just a couple of weeks ago you were celebrating the Conservative and Unionist Party transmogrifying into the “English Nationalist Party”. Your term. Your party.

In what way are you “not an English nat”? Have you resigned your membership?

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Just a couple of weeks ago you were celebrating the Conservative and Unionist Party transmogrifying into the “English Nationalist Party”. Your term. Your party.

No I wasn't.

If I was an English Nat I would be supporting an independent England like many in the English Democrats, I don't
    Next leader to be female:

Con 21/5
    Lab 8/15
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No I wasn't.

If I was an English Nat I would be supporting an independent England like many in the English Democrats, I don't
    Huh? Sometimes I wonder if “HYUFD” is simply a login used by less gifted Central Office interns.

Do you honestly have zero recollection of your “English Nationalist Party” post? Maybe ask HYUFD8 if they remember HYUFD3 posting it.

Please keep your logbook up to date in future.
    Lol, stupid twat.

Lol, stupid twat.

Greater England Derangement Syndrome. Must be infectious.
    edited August 2021

Lol, stupid twat.

Nope, entirely sensible.

If you bothered to read the article he also said Scotland and NI and England should all do so too when they play each other.

He also said England should sing its own anthem like Jerusalem instead of GSTQ which would be sensible as the Queen is monarch of all the home nations, not just England.

Indeed Australia and Canada and New Zealand could also join in singing GSTQ after their own anthems when they play us too
    HYUFD said:

Lol, stupid twat.

Nope, entirely sensible.

If you bothered to read the article he also said Scotland and NI and England should all do so too when they play each other.

He also said England should sing its own anthem like Jerusalem instead of GSTQ which would be sensible as the Queen is monarch of all the home nations, not just England.

Indeed Australia and Canada and New Zealand could also join in singing GSTQ after their own anthems when they play us too
    'If you bothered to read the article he also said Scotland and NI and England should all do so too when they play each other.'

Oh.

Ok, fair enough, he's a REALLY stupid twat.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Circa 15 years ago I attended a choir recital whilst visiting family in Pembrokeshire. Both National Anthems were sung at the opening of the concert. However, sitting close by were a few Welsh Nationalists determined not to stand for God Save the Queen. I retaliated by sitting down for Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. Quite a few frosty comments were exchanged!

HYUFD said:

Lol, stupid twat.

Nope, entirely sensible.

'If you bothered to read the article he also said Scotland and NI and England should all do so too when they play each other.'

Oh.

Ok, fair enough, he's a REALLY stupid twat.
    If he is annoying Nats like you a great compliment for him
    edited August 2021
    justin124 said:

Circa 15 years ago I attended a choir recital whilst visiting family in Pembrokeshire. Both National Anthems were sung at the opening of the concert. However, sitting close by were a few Welsh Nationalists determined not to stand for God Save the Queen. I retaliated by sitting down for Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. Quite a few frosty comments were exchanged!

Good on you Justin
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    383 cases in Australia. They seem to be slowly drifting in the wrong direction despite the lockdown.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited August 2021
    Has this poll been posted?

Best PM:
    Boris 24
    Rishi 42

But Boris leads 43-39 amongst Con voters.

Amongst all voters, Rishi leads on just about every single issue.

Also, economic policy:

Spend / borrow more 30
    Spend / borrow less 50

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9881581/Poll-shows-major-support-Rishi-Sunak-replace-Boris-Johnson.html
  • 383 cases in Australia. They seem to be slowly drifting in the wrong direction despite the lockdown.

That's delta for you....
  • Facebook has removed hundreds of accounts which it says were involved in anti-vax disinformation campaigns operated from Russia.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-58167339

We are lucky British elections and referendums are immune!

Oh, and that Russian outfit running the anti-vax campaign? It's registered in Britain.
    https://about.fb.com/news/2021/08/july-2021-coordinated-inauthentic-behavior-report/
  • Latest Boris bashing thread is broken.
  • Latest Boris bashing thread is broken.

No, it works.

New thread btw.
This discussion has been closed.