Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why Democratic party candidates should welcome Trump backing their opponents – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

On topic, I would be cautious at assuming Trump in 2022 will be as much a force as in 2018.

TDS was at its height in 2018, with allegations over Russia and his never-ending commentary from the Presidency. I don't think he has the same galvanising force as he did in 2018 for the opposition (hardcore Democrats / anti-Trump haters yes, less bothered voters no).

Also, mid-terms are about turnout. Trump may galvanise the parts other Republicans cannot reach whereas Democrats may struggle to maintain enthusiasm. Uncle Joe's ratings are heading down and the picture does not look too rosy over the next 12 months.

Virginia will be an interesting one here, especially given the firestorm over CRT in schools. If McAuliffe scrapes a narrow victory or even loses (and he's not far ahead at this stage), it suggests the strategy of tying Republicans to Trump has faded appeal.

Well I hate him as much as ever so if I'm typical ...
    I'm sure you do Kinablu, are you typical.........?
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Yes should welcome Johnson backing BetterTogether2

The chain gang? the hound? Or what have I missed?
    It was revealed on here a few nights ago that Michael Gove’s big wheeze is an IndyRef2 in 2023.

Taking the theme of OGH’s header - that bampots damage campaigns they back - it would be lovely to see Boris Johnson* out on the campaign trail with BetterTogether2.

Mind you, if Dominic Cummings and Michael Gove really are the tactical geniuses they think they are, maybe they can persuade Johnson to back Yes?

(*BJ net approval in Scotland -44 according to latest Opinium)
    Do you think Alex Salmond will get involved in Indyref2?

I mean his ratings earlier on this year were worse than Boris Johnson's ratings in Scotland.

It is why so many of us bet on Alba do very badly in May whereas the Scotch experts were predicting 12%-14% for Alba minimum.
    Not this one, in fact I recall saying that Alba and Galloway’s British Union of Fuds both getting zero msps was a live possibility.
    Pretty sure some folk on here were slavering over the thought of Salmond getting back into Holyrood and destroying Nicola..
    If we’re trying to count the number of fuds on each side of the campaign, I think it’s safe to say that BetterTogether2 will win that contest easily. After all, they’ll have the Orange Lodge, BNP and George Galloway on their team; and that’s before we even start to list the Prime Fuds.
    You forgot Reform UK.

Oh yes, there was a rather good graphic done at the time of indyref 1 showing the two different teams on a footie pitch. Quite illuminating.
    Ta, I was looking for that graphic and couldn’t find it. Got a link?

(I did consider adding the latest Farage vehicle, but rule of 3 is a harsh mistress; and in the fud stakes, Nigel ranks lower than the three I listed.)
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Evening PB. I forgot Trump existed to be honest.
  • MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

On topic, I would be cautious at assuming Trump in 2022 will be as much a force as in 2018.

TDS was at its height in 2018, with allegations over Russia and his never-ending commentary from the Presidency. I don't think he has the same galvanising force as he did in 2018 for the opposition (hardcore Democrats / anti-Trump haters yes, less bothered voters no).

Also, mid-terms are about turnout. Trump may galvanise the parts other Republicans cannot reach whereas Democrats may struggle to maintain enthusiasm. Uncle Joe's ratings are heading down and the picture does not look too rosy over the next 12 months.

Virginia will be an interesting one here, especially given the firestorm over CRT in schools. If McAuliffe scrapes a narrow victory or even loses (and he's not far ahead at this stage), it suggests the strategy of tying Republicans to Trump has faded appeal.

I would have thought the US will be enjoying a post Covid boom for the next 12 months. Further out, 2024, is going to be a more difficult prospect.
    I think it's tricky. The economic data is a bit uncertain which is why yields are going down to historic lows even as inflation rises. It feels like things are getting bogged down in Congress and the House Jan 6th Committee looks more like an attempt to fire up the base in the absence of major changes.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,742

Carnyx said:

It was revealed on here a few nights ago that Michael Gove’s big wheeze is an IndyRef2 in 2023.

Taking the theme of OGH’s header - that bampots damage campaigns they back - it would be lovely to see Boris Johnson* out on the campaign trail with BetterTogether2.

Mind you, if Dominic Cummings and Michael Gove really are the tactical geniuses they think they are, maybe they can persuade Johnson to back Yes?

I mean his ratings earlier on this year were worse than Boris Johnson's ratings in Scotland.

It is why so many of us bet on Alba do very badly in May whereas the Scotch experts were predicting 12%-14% for Alba minimum.
    Not this one, in fact I recall saying that Alba and Galloway’s British Union of Fuds both getting zero msps was a live possibility.
    Pretty sure some folk on here were slavering over the thought of Salmond getting back into Holyrood and destroying Nicola..
    If we’re trying to count the number of fuds on each side of the campaign, I think it’s safe to say that BetterTogether2 will win that contest easily. After all, they’ll have the Orange Lodge, BNP and George Galloway on their team; and that’s before we even start to list the Prime Fuds.
    The First Fud of the Treasury is the main reason most vaguely sentient Unionists strongly agree with him bottling another referendum. Just imagine BJ shooting his mouth off about being better together(which tbf as PM of the UK he would be required to do at some point)?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

More than 200,000 adults have received a first vaccination in Newham (57%). Second dose just under 39%. Painfully slow progress - 344 first doses and 834 second yesterday.

Positive tests moving up but still well below the national average.

On my travels for work again today - the Underground remains quiet. Coming back through Bank just after 5, you'd expect a torrent of people in the streets and heading into Bank station - nothing like that. a trickle at best.

Notions of people returning to offices still very wide of the mark on my anecdotal evidence. Trains also very quiet part from leisure travellers.

There really isn't any excuse for such a low level of vaccination in Newham.
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    DavidL said:

The Tories would love that:

Kenny Farquharson @KennyFarq
    NEW: Defeating the Tories requires an electoral pact between all of the UK's progressive parties, including the SNP.

https://twitter.com/KennyFarq/status/1420054813656690690?s=20

Death Certificate for Scottish Labour

Please sign here

Well, quite.

Kenny does realise that the SNP are easily the main challenger in all six Scottish Conservative seats?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    edited July 2021

PS I am thoroughly enjoying my new job/career and I am involved in all sorts of interesting construction projects and disputes.

I have a 'final interview' for a Training Contract at my firm on Thursday after successfully navigating the assessment centre. Wish me luck...

Good luck!
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956

PS I am thoroughly enjoying my new job/career and I am involved in all sorts of interesting construction projects and disputes.

I have a 'final interview' for a Training Contract at my firm on Thursday after successfully navigating the assessment centre. Wish me luck...

Best of luck.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1419684150034976768

Somebody asked for pineapple on their pizza

Love the bloke calling out "I'm still waiting for my pizza" :smiley:

Good luck!!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    stodge said:

More than 200,000 adults have received a first vaccination in Newham (57%). Second dose just under 39%. Painfully slow progress - 344 first doses and 834 second yesterday.

On my travels for work again today - the Underground remains quiet. Coming back through Bank just after 5, you'd expect a torrent of people in the streets and heading into Bank station - nothing like that. a trickle at best.

Notions of people returning to offices still very wide of the mark on my anecdotal evidence. Trains also very quiet part from leisure travellers.

Good think Newham isn't representative of the country then.

I do enjoy updates from the People's Republic of Newham but ultimately it's not representative of the national situation or even the situation in London. You live in a hotspot of religious fools who are won't vax. That's not ideal for Newham and the hospitals surrounding the borough but I don't think it really makes a huge difference. I was in office today and we're already at 60-65% of daily capacity in July. I'm told by WeWork that they are now running at 40-60% capacity per unit which compares to 50-80% pre-pandemic.

We're past the pandemic and from here FOMO will drag people in. Those who have moved away during the pandemic will soon find that decisions are made in the room and the room isn't always going to have zoom available.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,007

Carnyx said:

Well one Scotch expert did.

My sweet spot was Alba getting just one MSP and that MSP being Alex Salmond.

There would have been something tragic-comedic about that for the next four years.
    I knew it was up for him when I saw where he was out campaigning. The NE region is quite large and he was buggering about in all the smaller villages. And still the only time I saw an Alba poster was in his garden.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,448

Top tip for construction project planning problems, sit next to Jenrick at a dinner a few days after making a big party donation.
    MaxPB said:

stodge said:

I do enjoy updates from the People's Republic of Newham but ultimately it's not representative of the national situation or even the situation in London. You live in a hotspot of religious fools who are won't vax. That's not ideal for Newham and the hospitals surrounding the borough but I don't think it really makes a huge difference. I was in office today and we're already at 60-65% of daily capacity in July. I'm told by WeWork that they are now running at 40-60% capacity per unit which compares to 50-80% pre-pandemic.

We're past the pandemic and from here FOMO will drag people in. Those who have moved away during the pandemic will soon find that decisions are made in the room and the room isn't always going to have zoom available.
    My employer has mandated that all meetings must have calling in as an option.

We seem to be going for hybrid working going forward

Top tip for construction project planning problems, sit next to Jenrick at a dinner a few days after making a big party donation.
    :D noted
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    BigRich said:

MrEd said:
    WRT the Californian Recall election of governor Gavin Newsom.

It could be there are less people who are angry and want him removed than people who are content with him to stay.

But, I would think looking at how many people quickly singed the petition, that the anti Newsom side are more motivated, while the pro Newsom are comparably apathetic, so there could be a supportive.
    A lot of Democrats in CA wouldn't be too upset by Newsom being recalled.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    edited July 2021

Update on Israel and vaccine efficiency. Better news.

https://twitter.com/dvir_a/status/1420059122725183491

Only skimmed but ‘we got the denominator wrong’? FFS if we have people on here who can smell a rat, surely they can look at their data and ask if it makes sense. That’s just bloody basic science. There are no words...
    I don't know if anyone has posted this already but the British Volt site in Blyth/Cambois broke ground today. Good news!
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

I would have thought the US will be enjoying a post Covid boom for the next 12 months. Further out, 2024, is going to be a more difficult prospect.
    I think it's tricky. The economic data is a bit uncertain which is why yields are going down to historic lows even as inflation rises. It feels like things are getting bogged down in Congress and the House Jan 6th Committee looks more like an attempt to fire up the base in the absence of major changes.
    I'm in broad agreement with you that the Republicans will be more motivated for the midterms, I simply think that there will be an exit Covid boom across the developed world. Bond yields (IMHO) simply reflect an absence of investment opportunities right now. (Which is also reflected in the ridiculous valuations of stocks and in the price of crypto.)
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I don't know if anyone has posted this already but the British Volt site in Blyth/Cambois broke ground today. Good news!

What is British Volt?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

We're going for 2 days a week as the norm (from September) for those who happen to live near work with everyone free to make it less or not at all. Since the pandemic started we've recruited people from all over the place - two in Edinburgh, one in Milan, one in Lisbon - so FOMO doesn't arise: we're making a deliberate attempt to be genuinely international. Pattern will be that teams working on specific projects will decide without senior management involvement whether it'd be useful to have meetings in the office - nobody is encouraged to come in just for personal preference, though it won't be prohibited.

Pre-pandemic, 90% lived locally and wfh was a rare exception, typically because you wanted to concentrate on a complex report. So a big change.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    edited July 2021

Best of luck.
    Ditto best wishes Gallowgate..
  • MaffewMaffew Posts: 235
    So what on earth is going on at Novavax? They have (had?) an apparently effective vaccine. They apparently started making it. They've had a nice new wave of Covid to round out their trial numbers. Why do they seem to be so incapable of getting authorisation and bringing it to market?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Well I hate him as much as ever so if I'm typical ...
    I'm sure you do Kinablu, are you typical.........?
    Well the really good news for Donald Trump is I live in Hampstead not Ohio.

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

We're going for 2 days a week as the norm (from September) for those who happen to live near work with everyone free to make it less or not at all. Since the pandemic started we've recruited people from all over the place - two in Edinburgh, one in Milan, one in Lisbon - so FOMO doesn't arise: we're making a deliberate attempt to be genuinely international. Pattern will be that teams working on specific projects will decide without senior management involvement whether it'd be useful to have meetings in the office - nobody is encouraged to come in just for personal preference, though it won't be prohibited.

Pre-pandemic, 90% lived locally and wfh was a rare exception, typically because you wanted to concentrate on a complex report. So a big change.
    We've seen similar. Pre-pandemic, almost all our US employees were in the LA area. Now, we have people in Sacramento, DC, Chicago, etc.
    BigRich said:

What is British Volt?
    Serious answer: https://britishvolt.com
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    MaxPB said:

stodge said:

You've always banged the drum for getting people back to offices.

The truth, and I saw that in the City today, is most office workers are still WFH and I suspect that will remain the case. Now, you're throwing out some nonsense about "FOMO" and people "not being in the room". Well, that may be how your company operates but that's not how it is where I am or where many other people are. Decisions are not predicated on anything as absurd as physical presence and the evolution of technology makes it perfectly possible for decisions to be made with those participating at home or elsewhere.

As for Newham, I report my local figures from the Government's own website. I've never claimed it to be representative of anywhere other than itself - it might spoil your notion of a fully vaccinated adult population a little but I don't care.

As for "living in a hotspot of religious fools who won't vax", once again, a complex problem is reduced to a simplistic solution. Newham is a "young" Borough, we know vaccine take-up among younger people isn't brilliant. There are plenty of signs and notices encouraging people to get vaccinated but it seem the younger people who had it in the New Year don't believe they need a vaccination.

I've cited socio-cultural nuances which might discourage vaccination on here before - we know they exist.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    EU halts legal action against UK over NI Protocol 'breaches'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-57986307

The EU has paused its legal action against the UK for alleged breaches of the Northern Ireland Protocol.

It said it was doing so to create the "necessary space" to consider UK proposals for reforming the deal.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

ydoethur said:

This isn’t going to ease the pressure on vaccinating teenagers:

Covid-19: Irish vaccine programme to include 12-15-year-olds
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57984314

Past experience Instinct is suggesting there will be a u-turn at the start of October.

Has the JCVI actually said we won't be vaccinating teenagers?

Or are they still saying they're analysing the data?
    I think that they have recently said 3 more groups of under 18s can have the jab:

1) 17 and 3/4 year olds
    2) Kids who live with Imunodifisant people and
    3) Some more category's of pre-existing medical conditions.

Combined that about 350,000 people, but I don't think any of them can book a jab just yet.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,458
    A comment on The Hundred. Not much of a crowd for the game at Cardiff tonight - looks very disappointing.

Although the cricket's reasonably entertaining, I suspect that it may flop because it's so hard to identify with the teams and therefore care who wins. Look at the Welsh Fires - I can't see anything remotely Welsh there; a Yorkshire captain, and I don't think there are any Glamorgan players in the side. It's the same for all the other teams - they're a pretty much random mix of county players and overseas stars, with no city or regional identity. It's all a bit bizarre. On the women's side, it may make more of an impression as it's raising the profile of women's cricket.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341

Good luck
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206
    Why are African countries so shit at dressage?

Not a single nation in the top 10. Pathetic
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Don't hate me.

But I'm warming to The Hundred.

I just like Cricket - as long as it is free to air I don't really mind.

The EU has paused its legal action against the UK for alleged breaches of the Northern Ireland Protocol.

It said it was doing so to create the "necessary space" to consider UK proposals for reforming the deal.

Prediction: that there will be a renegotiation but that the EU and UK will call it something else. For Boris each delay, extension, grace period etc is a tiny step forward.

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Charles said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Ratio of people in mechanical ventilation beds for covid to people in hospital for covid has averaged 1:8 through the pandemic.

Graph of 8x the number in mechanical ventilation beds against people in hospital with covid in England through the pandemic.

It would be useful if contrarian could point to the recent dates when the ratio fell by half or more.

Guardian seems to think that one in seven people treated for Covid got it in hospital. It says that 40,600 people contacted Covid in hospital of which 8,500 then died.
    Sounds quite plausible to me.

Local ICU have moved to surge capacity again, aiming for 125% of regular capacity. Really struggling to staff it though. The operating theatre staff don't want to go back, and anaesthetists want to get on with their main job.

There is no way that waiting lists are going to reduce for a while, nor can hospital Infection Control be relaxed.
    I wonder whether the strategy in due course might be to designate specific hospitals for COVID to maximise capacity
    A sort of Great Barrington arrangement for hospitals? Same problem as for outside hospitals. Delta is just so ubiquitous and infectious.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Ratio of people in mechanical ventilation beds for covid to people in hospital for covid has averaged 1:8 through the pandemic.

Graph of 8x the number in mechanical ventilation beds against people in hospital with covid in England through the pandemic.

It would be useful if contrarian could point to the recent dates when the ratio fell by half or more.

Guardian seems to think that one in seven people treated for Covid got it in hospital. It says that 40,600 people contacted Covid in hospital of which 8,500 then died.
    Probably higher at the peaks, when it was most rife and hardest to keep contained, and lower outside of the peaks.
    As I posted earlier, hospital capacity has remained remarkably constant for the past ten years.
    More than 160 patients in our ED today, with more than 20 stuck there for over 12 hours waiting for a bed. The system is overflowing, though few are covid.
    Yes I see that your NHS Trust (Univ Hosp of Leics?) has been very high capacity rates. Probably some of the highest in England. But then I noticed that some of the very highest rates (all over England) were Oct to Dec 2019 and in Oct-Dec 2020 they had come down by over 10 percentage points. You guys were at 93% (2019) vs 82% (2020).

You must have done some serious kicking out!
    I think around 15000 beds are closed nationally* for infection control purposes, and that may explain the capacity figures in the waves. In practice 85% would be brim full. The staff are not sitting idle, they are redeployed.

* from the CEO NHS providers:

"7/25 But it’s not just the demand side of the equation that's a concern. Striking how many trust leaders last week were just as worried about workforce and capacity issues. Reason 4. c15,000 of the NHS’s usual 100,000 hospital beds out action for infection control purposes."

https://twitter.com/ChrisCEOHopson/status/1419880621959229442?s=19
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,730

A comment on The Hundred. Not much of a crowd for the game at Cardiff tonight - looks very disappointing.

Although the cricket's reasonably entertaining, I suspect that it may flop because it's so hard to identify with the teams and therefore care who wins. Look at the Welsh Fires - I can't see anything remotely Welsh there; a Yorkshire captain, and I don't think there are any Glamorgan players in the side. It's the same for all the other teams - they're a pretty much random mix of county players and overseas stars, with no city or regional identity. It's all a bit bizarre. On the women's side, it may make more of an impression as it's raising the profile of women's cricket.

In the case of Sophia Gardens or whatever they’re calling it this week, it’s because they had to cut capacity by 25% at short notice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57989657

Which, to put it mildly, is not the way to pull in the crowds, but equally may not be their fault.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,793
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Probably higher at the peaks, when it was most rife and hardest to keep contained, and lower outside of the peaks.
    As I posted earlier, hospital capacity has remained remarkably constant for the past ten years.
    Okay; not sure the relevance of that.
    Covid patients have to be isolated from other patients and with increased PPE around all of them; Covid is really quite infectious. The more covid patients you have, the more sources of potential infection.
    When about 25-40% of beds are taken up by covid patients, cross-infection will be a more significant risk than when 2%-5% are taken up with covid patients.
    If 25-40% of beds are taken by covid patients (source pls) then there has to have been some serious kicking out.

Capacity rates for "General and acute" beds in winter (Oct-Dec) 2019 were regularly over 90% across England vs 80% the following year the same period.
    Number of general and acute beds available NHS-wide was 101,000 as of 2018/19: https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/nhs-hospital-bed-numbers

Peak number of covid patients in hospital was 39,254 (https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare)
    We were over 25,000 from 29 Dec to 9 Feb
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,874
    kle4 said:

Don't hate me.

And that should be the key. You cannot just sell the rights to pay TV and expect kids to be able to watch it. I’d argue it’s not even enough to have highlights on terrestrial at decent times, it needs to be live.

Isn't that an admission they were precipitate in launching legal action before they properly considered proposals?
    kle4 said:

Don't hate me.

Well, liking cricket is one thing, but do you like the Hundred? :smile:

Of course, if you do it’s already failed as the ECB’s stated aim was to attract people who don’t like cricket.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

When the have actual customers I will regard it as a success
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Update on Israel and vaccine efficiency. Better news.

https://twitter.com/dvir_a/status/1420059122725183491

Only skimmed but ‘we got the denominator wrong’? FFS if we have people on here who can smell a rat, surely they can look at their data and ask if it makes sense. That’s just bloody basic science. There are no words...
    I did suggest that perhaps they had a sample size issue....

kle4 said:

Don't hate me.

And that should be the key. You cannot just sell the rights to pay TV and expect kids to be able to watch it. I’d argue it’s not even enough to have highlights on terrestrial at decent times, it needs to be live.
    I actively tried to watch "Birmingham Phoenix" the other day but as it wasn't on terrestrial I guess the Hundred has lost a potential fan.
    eek said:

When the have actual customers I will regard it as a success
    "If you build it they will come"

... :D
    I mean, Jessica von Bredell-Werndl, the leading German horse dancer, who stables her 17 horses in Schloss Bagrossian-Fitzpatrick-Jynncks got more points than Equatorial Guinea COMBINED
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232
    Leon said:

I've seen Chariots of Fire. Our posh boys once dominated track events before the Africans took over. One day dressage might go the same way.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,117
    Leon said:

Tsetse flies? Honestly, no idea if horses in sub-Saharan Africa are a thing north of SA. So it might be like the Tuvalu skiing team for all I know.

I love The Hundred. It's great to see exhilarating live cricket, with multiple boundaries, on live realtime TV

There really is a huge market here, if they can get it right. I bow to the marketing people who have spotted this

People like exciting sport, they like to see athletic men whacking the daylights out of a cricket ball , but they need it to be a bit user friendly than a 5 day Test or even a ODI. Personally I love all forms of the game, but I can see why this works

The crowds will be very weather dependant. On a fine summer evening, why wouldn't you go and see world class sportsmen playing exciting sport at the Oval, Headingley, Edgbaston?

You will. I would. I'd take a couple of mates and guzzle wine very happily. In the rain or the chill, less so
    Leon said:

I mean, Jessica von Bredell-Werndl, the leading German horse dancer, who stables her 17 horses in Schloss Bagrossian-Fitzpatrick-Jynncks got more points than Equatorial Guinea COMBINED

It's von Bredow-Werndl, you ignorant fool.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    BigRich said:

What is British Volt?
    Our answer to Usain Bolt?
    ydoethur said:

In the case of Sophia Gardens or whatever they’re calling it this week, it’s because they had to cut capacity by 25% at short notice:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57989657

Which, to put it mildly, is not the way to pull in the crowds, but equally may not be their fault.
    Thanks, I hadn't spotted that. I withdraw my allegation of lack of Welsh interest - for now.
    edited July 2021

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You forgot Reform UK.

Oh yes, there was a rather good graphic done at the time of indyref 1 showing the two different teams on a footie pitch. Quite illuminating.
    Ta, I was looking for that graphic and couldn’t find it. Got a link?

(I did consider adding the latest Farage vehicle, but rule of 3 is a harsh mistress; and in the fud stakes, Nigel ranks lower than the three I listed.)
    Sorry (was having dinner), can't find it either - had a look before I posted, and have tried again with success this time - dinner must help - an example is in this blog

https://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2016/11/25/britain-first/

Edit: about 4/7 of thr way down the page.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

The truth, and I saw that in the City today, is most office workers are still WFH and I suspect that will remain the case. Now, you're throwing out some nonsense about "FOMO" and people "not being in the room". Well, that may be how your company operates but that's not how it is where I am or where many other people are. Decisions are not predicated on anything as absurd as physical presence and the evolution of technology makes it perfectly possible for decisions to be made with those participating at home or elsewhere.

As for Newham, I report my local figures from the Government's own website. I've never claimed it to be representative of anywhere other than itself - it might spoil your notion of a fully vaccinated adult population a little but I don't care.

As for "living in a hotspot of religious fools who won't vax", once again, a complex problem is reduced to a simplistic solution. Newham is a "young" Borough, we know vaccine take-up among younger people isn't brilliant. There are plenty of signs and notices encouraging people to get vaccinated but it seem the younger people who had it in the New Year don't believe they need a vaccination.

I've cited socio-cultural nuances which might discourage vaccination on here before - we know they exist.
    Yes I was in my office in the City today, only about half a dozen souls in compared to the 60 or so desks. There are even fewer on Monday and Friday.
    Every cricket fan should back The Hundred

The game needs to be reintroduced to the public. This is the way to do it. The scenes of families with loads of kids all doing the "wobbly hand boundary sign" are superb. Cricket could become THE family friendly sport. No nastiness like football, less classist than rugby (of either code), conducted in the summer (picnics!)

I reckon it might just be a bit of genius. And even if it isn't, they have really had a go
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Yes yes it's all well and good but when are we getting ice dressage at the Winter Olympics?
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,087

Yes yes it's all well and good but when are we getting ice dressage at the Winter Olympics?

I am not sure that fitting horses with ice skates would be entirely in keeping with contemporary attitudes toward animal welfare...
    More importantly, The Hundred is working

"The late men’s game on 24th July between Manchester Originals and Welsh Fire aired exclusively on Sky, drawing in 557,000 viewers, which is more than three times the average audience for the domestic T20 Blast competition. Those figures do include viewers on Sky One, a channel which sits outside the broadcaster’s premium sports subscription tier."

"According to BARB data, the opening game of the men’s tournament on July 22nd reached an average audience of 1.21 million viewers on the BBC, with 39 per cent of viewership on the UK pubic service network female. The Oval Invincibles nine-run win over the Manchester Originals also scored with younger viewers, with 12 per cent under 25."

It's getting women viewers, and young people. It is doing the job

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/the-hundred-2021-cricket-female-tv-audiences-ratings-sky-bbc-t20
    edited July 2021
    Leon said:

I love The Hundred. It's great to see exhilarating live cricket, with multiple boundaries, on live realtime TV

There really is a huge market here, if they can get it right. I bow to the marketing people who have spotted this

People like exciting sport, they like to see athletic men whacking the daylights out of a cricket ball , but they need it to be a bit user friendly than a 5 day Test or even a ODI. Personally I love all forms of the game, but I can see why this works

The crowds will be very weather dependant. On a fine summer evening, why wouldn't you go and see world class sportsmen playing exciting sport at the Oval, Headingley, Edgbaston?

You will. I would. I'd take a couple of mates and guzzle wine very happily. In the rain or the chill, less so
    Yes, but as I said it's got an identity problem. I couldn't care less about a team called Northern Fucking Superchargers, or Southern Brave, or Werthers' Originals or whatever they're all called. I want to support Yorkshire, or failing that at least Leeds.
    edited July 2021
    pigeon said:

I am not sure that fitting horses with ice skates would be entirely in keeping with contemporary attitudes toward animal welfare...
    You probably shouldn't read my proposals for the four horse bobsleigh team event then.
    Leon said:

"The late men’s game on 24th July between Manchester Originals and Welsh Fire aired exclusively on Sky, drawing in 557,000 viewers, which is more than three times the average audience for the domestic T20 Blast competition. Those figures do include viewers on Sky One, a channel which sits outside the broadcaster’s premium sports subscription tier."

"According to BARB data, the opening game of the men’s tournament on July 22nd reached an average audience of 1.21 million viewers on the BBC, with 39 per cent of viewership on the UK pubic service network female. The Oval Invincibles nine-run win over the Manchester Originals also scored with younger viewers, with 12 per cent under 25."

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/the-hundred-2021-cricket-female-tv-audiences-ratings-sky-bbc-t20

Actually, perhaps Equestrian cricket could be a thing? Polo demonstrates that horsey sport involving a ball whacked with an implement is possible.
    pigeon said:

Sometimes the ancients had it right - let the bloodbath commence!

Leon said:

Yes, but as I said it's got an identity problem. I couldn't care less about a team called Northern Fucking Superchargers, or Southern Brave, or Werthers' Originals or whatever they're all called. I want to support Yorkshire, or failing that at least Leeds.
    As a YCCC full member and proud Sheffield lad there's no way I could have supported a Dirty Leeds franchise team in the cricket.
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 582
    Water polo with horses?

pigeon said:

You probably shouldn't read my proposals for the four horse bobsleigh team event then.
    The Central African Republic are already competing with Namibia for top spot.

Leon said:

Yes, but as I said it's got an identity problem. I couldn't care less about a team called Northern Fucking Superchargers or whatever it is, or Southern Brave. I want to support Yorkshire, or failing that at least Leeds.
    No doubt people said the same about "Manchester United" or "Barcelona FC" or "indeed "Yorkshire Country Cricket"

Every sport starts somewhere, every famous team begins somewhere

The fact is cricket was dying on its arse as a public/TV sport in the UK - paradoxically, as at the elite level England have been doing better than in a long time

Ghettoing the sport on satellite TV turned out to be an error. No one ever watched 3 day county championships, or whatever it is they do (I have never watched)

I think 5 day Tests are probably doomed except as a niche event (I regret this deeply, as I love that form). If we want cricket to survive it has to engage a new audience, people with less than 5 days to dedicate to a match, maybe something like 2-3 hours of an evening. Do that at a TV friendly time and it could REALLY thrive, in real-life and on TV
    SandraMc said:

Water polo with horses?

Why are the Nepalese better at elephant polo than Iceland? It's a scandal.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Echelon (!) giving the Dems a 7 point lead on the generic ballot

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1420102881542381568?s=19
    pigeon said:

Leon said:

Actually, perhaps Equestrian cricket could be a thing? Polo demonstrates that horsey sport involving a ball whacked with an implement is possible.
    Elephantine sport too of course.

pigeon said:

kle4 said:

pigeon said:

Sometimes the ancients had it right - let the bloodbath commence!

Listen you lot, if you're going to insist on incorporating horses into spectacular and likely bloody events then you at least have to create a spectacle. Horses on skates would just fall over and die. Herding four horses into a box and pushing it downhill would be similarly disappointing.

Many sports could be adapted to include a spectacular equestrian element, but I'm struggling to think of anything specifically wintry to be honest. I'm afraid if you stick horses on skis or skates it gets you nowhere. They'd just fall over and die.

Though, then again, equestrian big hill ski jumping would be one helluva way to go...
    Alistair said:

Echelon (!) giving the Dems a 7 point lead on the generic ballot

https://twitter.com/HotlineJosh/status/1420102881542381568?s=19

But what does Trafalgar say?

#GoldStandard
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Fionna O'Leary,
    @fascinatorfun
    ·
    1h
    In the 50 plus age group, the unvaccinated 5% now make up 34% of hospital admissions.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,287
    kle4 said:

Don't hate me.

The hundred is a joke game.

kle4 said:

Don't hate me.

It's T20 with pointless gimmicks, whatever, I'll watch it.

kle4 said:

Don't hate me.

Cricket itself is a joke game :lol:
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Don't hate me.

It's T20 with pointless gimmicks, whatever, I'll watch it.
    Quite
    Carnyx said:

pigeon said:

Leon said:

Elephantine sport too of course.
    I'm not sure that elephant cricket would take off: pachyderms aren't that manoeuvrable. But elephant javelin could be amazing.
    SandraMc said:

Water polo with horses?

Aqua-strian
    Whenever I tune in to The Hundred I think, "OK, hold on, this is a highlights package" - and then I realise it is live. It is cricket with all the slow boring bits taken out

Of course the slow boring bits are, to me, an integral part of true cricket. The slow maiden over. The sleeping dog at the lunch break. The pace bowler who takes nine hours to do his run up. Tea. A read of the newspaper during "drinks"

But that era may be passing. And if we want cricket to survive, it will be like this, and on free TV
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    For whosoever hath from him shall be taken away.

(Sorry Matthew!)
    edited July 2021
    The test for the Hundred is if they are still getting the tv ratings and big crowds throughout and obviously next season...some of us are old enough to remember GB News was getting 3x the audience of BBC News channel....

At the moment, after promoting the hell out of it at every opportunity om thr BBC and Sky, they got good numbers for the first couple of games. You literally couldn't watch a footy game at the Euros without the BBC advertising it.
    algarkirk said:

SandraMc said:

Water polo with horses?

Why are the Nepalese better at elephant polo than Iceland? It's a scandal.
    After the Icelandic elephant polo team finished a disappointing fourth at the 2013 world championships, their lottery funding was cut in half. It's been all downhill since then, sadly.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,122
    SandraMc said:

Water polo with horses?

It's a neigh from me!
    Leon said:

Whenever I tune in to The Hundred I think, "OK, hold on, this is a highlights package" - and then I realise it is live. It is cricket with all the slow boring bits taken out

Of course the slow boring bits are, to me, an integral part of true cricket. The slow maiden over. The sleeping dog at the lunch break. The pace bowler who takes nine hours to do his run up. Tea. A read of the newspaper during "drinks"

But that era may be passing. And if we want cricket to survive, it will be like this, and on free TV

It will end up like sumo wrestling. Arcane ritual of offshore islanders, white clothing, and over in about 30 seconds.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

It will end up like sumo wrestling. Arcane ritual of offshore islanders, white clothing, and over in about 30 seconds.
    But they’re wearing coloured clothing.
    CDC director: "The vast majority of transmission, severe disease, hospitalization, and death is almost exclusively happening among unvaccinated people"

The test for the Hundred is if they are still getting the tv ratings and big crowds throughout and obviously next season...some of us are old enough to remember GB News was getting 3x the audience of BBC News channel....

At the moment, after promoting the hell out of it at every opportunity om thr BBC and Sky, they got good numbers for the first couple of games. You literally couldn't watch a footy game at the Euros without the BBC advertising it.

See the ratings. They're getting good figures for the latest matches, too

So far they must be happy. A whole new format, for a sport many have forgotten, doing rather nicely

But still some way to go....

CDC director: "The vast majority of transmission, severe disease, hospitalization, and death is almost exclusively happening among unvaccinated people"

Who would have thought it .......
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

But they’re wearing coloured clothing.
    A mere detail.

Somebody needs grammar lessons, especially in avoiding tautologies.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,080

Floater said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

One big London firm I know is going for one day WFH per week. Even that relatively modest shift would reduce the number of people in the centre of town by 20%.
    Leon said:

So far they must be happy. A whole new format, for a sport many have forgotten, doing rather nicely

At the moment they are apparently really miserable because they haven’t sold enough tickets to hit the break even point.

That may change of course, but if there’s a loss in the first year it won’t be back for a second year.
    Leon said:

I was always slightly surprised how poorly IPL did on terrestrial tv. That is the worlds best T20 competition with all the superstars and yet it tanked on ITV.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,161
    BBC olympic highlights spending more time interviewing the UK swimmers mum than showing any of the actual sport.
    ydoethur said:

Somebody needs grammar lessons, especially in avoiding tautologies.
    Its the Americans, what do you expect?
    Personally I think the real genius of it may be getting that many crisp logos into family friendly events in a time when we might start banning junk food ads before the watershed.

Don't tell @contrarian
    Tres said:

stodge said:

MaxPB said:

stodge said:

Yes I was in my office in the City today, only about half a dozen souls in compared to the 60 or so desks. There are even fewer on Monday and Friday.
    Last call I had with someone in office there were 3 people on a floor with usually well over a 100 in
This discussion has been closed.