Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On the betting markets punters make it a 67% chance that Hancock will still be in his job on July 1

Comments

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited June 2021
    Denmark 2-0

Wales deserve to lose.

Terrible defence
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,434
    We love you Denmark.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,379
    They think it's all over, with 40 minutes to go.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    MaxPB said:

BigRich said:

pm215 said:

stodge said:

I'm indebted to @another_richard for pointing out the daily vaccination dashboard and some sobering numbers.

In England, 83.5% of adults have had the first vaccination, 61.3% have had both.

In Newham, 52% of adults have had the first vaccination, 30% have had both.

Cambridge has some similarly depressing figures. I would really like to see per-area graphs of vaccine takeup over time by agegroup, so you could see how much was "lots of younger people here who were only elegible recently" and how much was "curve flattens out at a level below the national average for the agegroup".
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations?areaType=ltla&areaName=Cambridge
    Interesting, it seems that each age group in Cambridge, is behind the UK national average, only a % or 2 for the very oldest, but significantly for the middle age, 50 -54 Year olds, its 76.86% to 85.28%
    NIMS data is, IMO, too unreliable to be making comparisons to the national figures which are ONS numbers.

NIMS overestimates the population by 5-15% all over the country because people move around, students especially so and Cambridge is a student city.
    But it should have relatively little effect among the middle aged and oldies.

And does allow comparison between age groups in one district to another.
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    How to be gorgeous in B&S

• Options
    Yeah Hancock is done.

Matt Hancock faces an investigation after using a personal email account instead of an official address during the pandemic in a breach of government guidelines.

Since March last year the health secretary has routinely used a private account to conduct government business, concealing information from his own officials and potentially the public, according to documents obtained by The Sunday Times.

It means that the government does not hold records of much of Hancock’s decision-making, including negotiating multi-million pound PPE contracts, setting up the £37 billion Test and Trace programme and overseeing the government’s care homes strategy.

The disclosure of Hancock’s secret account appears in minutes of a meeting between senior officials at the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) in December.

Cabinet Office guidance states that ministers should use official email in order to ensure that there is evidence of important decisions and proper internal scrutiny.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hancock-used-private-email-address-to-do-government-business-nrkrgss2t
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

That would be a dramatic change in approach for him.

It’s not as though he’s ever bothered to represent his constituents before.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 597

The moral vacuum that is George Galloway objecting to children being taught in a moral vacuum.
  • Options
    How the feck is George Galloway using the honorific Honourable?

Is he the younger son of an Earl or maybe the son of a Viscount or Baron?
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

The moral vacuum that is George Galloway objecting to children being taught in a moral vacuum.
    I’m just surprised to learn he knows who his children are and where they’re being taught.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    ping said:

Denmark 2-0

Wales deserve to lose.

Terrible defence

On the Dohlberg HT at 165…
  • Options
    HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.
  • Options
    It appears the EU may be lifting the ban on animal proteins being used in animal feed.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Sauce?

Edit. See sun link above
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,379

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

As manager of Wales?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,294

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Thank goodness for that
  • Options

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Hancock has failed to achieve re-erection?
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Hunt for Health?
  • Options
    ping said:

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Sauce?
    Text from a friend who would know.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    ping said:

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Sauce?

Edit. See sun link above
    Hurrah!!!! Trebles all around.

Fantastic news.

• Options
    Matt Hancock has resigned as Health Secretary after he was caught kissing a close aide in the Department of Health and Social Care in early May, in breach of coronavirus restrictions.

Telegraph live blog

He's gone.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    What a weaselly, self serving letter.

Typical of the man, but still bullshit.
  • Options
    Surprised at the timing.

Should have gone either yesterday morning, or in a future reshuffle.

Boris isn’t very good at this politics thingy
  • Options
    Resigns before Sunday's deluge of shit eh?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Opinion poll results must have been received.
  • Options
  • Options

Matt Hancock has resigned as Health Secretary after he was caught kissing a close aide in the Department of Health and Social Care in early May, in breach of coronavirus restrictions.

Telegraph live blog

He's gone.

I called for this yesterday and have enormous relief he has done the right thing

His successor will be an interesting appointment
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Telegraph live blog

He's gone.

I called for this yesterday and have enormous relief he has done the right thing

More likely a useless one, on past form.

If Johnson dare not recall Hunt, might he take the opportunity to bring Javid back instead?

Unlikely but would be better than most alternatives.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

I did a conhome poll today
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

Yeah Hancock is done.

Matt Hancock faces an investigation after using a personal email account instead of an official address during the pandemic in a breach of government guidelines.

Since March last year the health secretary has routinely used a private account to conduct government business, concealing information from his own officials and potentially the public, according to documents obtained by The Sunday Times.

It means that the government does not hold records of much of Hancock’s decision-making, including negotiating multi-million pound PPE contracts, setting up the £37 billion Test and Trace programme and overseeing the government’s care homes strategy.

The disclosure of Hancock’s secret account appears in minutes of a meeting between senior officials at the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) in December.

Cabinet Office guidance states that ministers should use official email in order to ensure that there is evidence of important decisions and proper internal scrutiny.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hancock-used-private-email-address-to-do-government-business-nrkrgss2t

Will pile in on Wancock to stay when the market overreacts to this. He won't resign and Boris won't sack him over any kind of malfeasance. The only thing Boris will sack him for is disloyalty. When Dom started taking aim at Carrie he was sacked, the whole eye test saga was simply ignored as long as Dom stayed loyal.
    Lol
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,670
    ping said:

Surprised at the timing.

Not sure Boris asked for this - may have been Hancock's decision, who is rather better at politics than Johnson - rehabilitation on the back benches may yet see him return to front line politics.
  • Options
    Does this mean there was more to come tomorrow?
    Must do really.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    Fenman said:

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Hunt for Health?
    Not the most inspiring appointment but I'd support it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Telegraph live blog

He's gone.

If Johnson dare not recall Hunt, might he take the opportunity to bring Javid back instead?

Please not Williamson
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    dixiedean said:

Does this mean there was more to come tomorrow?
    Must do really.

Probably a VI poll.
  • Options

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

About time. How did they think he could get away with it?
  • Options
    The speculation I'm hearing is Edward Argar as Health Secretary.

Kinda makes sense.
  • Options
    Interesting he writes that he "needs to be with his children" - no mention of "wife":

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1408836281908350976?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,193
    OllyT said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

The confrontation Ledbetter got yesterday was a disgrace, and if Starmer had anything about him he'd be out supporting Leadbetter in BS perhaps even knocking a few doors for her.
    He's been quiet about it if he has supported her

Why was it though?

She was challenged in the street by someone. Something that will happen to politicians across the divide in all elections. An experienced, or savvy, campaigner would be able to shut it down quite Easily.

She showed her inexperience and lack of political nous.
    Doubt that, there's a teacher who fears for his life because of these goons.
    I haven't seen anyone "shut them down" because the chief rabble rousers are surrounded by like minded homophobes egging them on.
    Most politicians just avoid them in the first place, perhaps that was her error expecting any sort of rational debate from the cretins.
    For me, one of the most interesting longer-term consequences of this by-election is how it may change the metropolitan middle class left’s view of the Muslim community. For most of the former, dealings with the latter tend to be superficial limited ones, usually in a service capacity and accompanied by the frequent comment “I had a nice Muslim Uber driver / delivery man / corner shop owner.” Certainly in the woker parts of North London, there are very few Muslim residents (that obviously changes as you get to gentrifying areas). The issue of different cultural values doesn’t really touch them on a day to day basis.

However, if Kim Leadbitter, a white middle class lesbian professional from a public service occupation, the type of person that the metropolitan class can easily identify with, gets defeated in large part due to a homophobic religiously-driven campaign, that may change the perception of just how friendly the Muslim community really is
    If Labour lose Batley due to a big Muslim vote for George Galloway it won't be fair or valid to attribute it to homophobia. The fact is, Galloway has strong appeal to Muslims here - has twice won a seat off the back of this - and it's in large part due to his long and loud campaigning for Palestine. And it's also a fact that Labour under Starmer is not as overtly pro-Palestine as it was under Corbyn. Plus there's been far more focus on antisemitism under Starmer than on islamophobia. These are all reasons why Muslims might desert the party and lodge a by-election protest vote for GG. Anybody who ignores this and instead homes in purely on Muslim homophobia (and/or antisemitism) as the reason for the result will be showing a bit of islamophobic leg.
    However you choose to try and dress it up anti-semitism and homophobia are right at the heart of the reasons muslims are switching to Galloway. It really is about time that Labour stopped pussy-footing around those issues and told muslims that hold those views to do one. It's one of the reasons I let my membership lapse when Corbyn became leader. You are deluding yourself Kinabalu, I witnessed it my own CLP
    Homophobia and antisemitism are in the mix but to assume that these things are what most Muslims prioritize over and above a pro Palestine position and a seriousness about countering Islamophobia is (for me) indicative of anti Muslim prejudice.
  • Options
    The Cock's out!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997
    ydoethur said:

Oh my goodness.

This is horrendous.

Florida building collapse: Report from 2018 warned of 'major damage'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57621774

If 50% of that report is accurate then we’re surely talking possible third degree homicide charges.

The report is here:
    https://www.townofsurfsidefl.gov/docs/default-source/default-document-library/town-clerk-documents/champlain-towers-south-public-records/8777-collins-ave---structural-field-survey-report.pdf?sfvrsn=882a1194_2

The last line is: "We look forward to working with you in maintaining the structural integrity of the Champlain Towers South Condominium." (emphasis mine) It sort of indicates that the structural integrity was in doubt - 2/3 tears ago ...

There are lots of other interesting documents at the link below. In particular, there are detailed plans for the works (dated April tis year), including repairs to columns and floor soffits (undersides). In some cases, parts of entire columns/walls are to be replaced. The sort of thing that makes me wish I was better at reading structural diagrams ...

https://townofsurfsidefl.gov/departments-services/town-clerk/champlain-towers-public-records-documents
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Do I get an award for worst timed post ever on PB?

Yes, you win the 2021 PB Rogerdamus Award.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Does this mean Hunt returns?
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Roger said:

isam said:

MrEd said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

The confrontation Ledbetter got yesterday was a disgrace, and if Starmer had anything about him he'd be out supporting Leadbetter in BS perhaps even knocking a few doors for her.

Why was it though?

She was challenged in the street by someone. Something that will happen to politicians across the divide in all elections. An experienced, or savvy, campaigner would be able to shut it down quite Easily.

I haven't seen anyone "shut them down" because the chief rabble rousers are surrounded by like minded homophobes egging them on.
    Most politicians just avoid them in the first place, perhaps that was her error expecting any sort of rational debate from the cretins.
    For me, one of the most interesting longer-term consequences of this by-election is how it may change the metropolitan middle class left’s view of the Muslim community. For most of the former, dealings with the latter tend to be superficial limited ones, usually in a service capacity and accompanied by the frequent comment “I had a nice Muslim Uber driver / delivery man / corner shop owner.” Certainly in the woker parts of North London, there are very few Muslim residents (that obviously changes as you get to gentrifying areas). The issue of different cultural values doesn’t really touch them on a day to day basis.

However, if Kim Leadbitter, a white middle class lesbian professional from a public service occupation, the type of person that the metropolitan class can easily identify with, gets defeated in large part due to a homophobic religiously-driven campaign, that may change the perception of just how friendly the Muslim community really is
    They will never, ever admit they were wrong. It would be tantamount to admitting multiculturalism doesn't work. How could they then answer the questions about terrorism and grooming gangs that would follow?
    Very telling that five people liked your post. You are a self confessed fan of Enoch Powell and must be only a handful of people in the UK who didn't find anything distasteful in his Rivers of Blood speech. It's possible that the five 'likers' didn't have a long enough post to judge you but it's equally likely that when you pull back the rock those five are what comes crawlng out.

Spoken with the confidence of an early 2010's remainer - only fruitcakes and loons want to leave the EU, etc etc.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Telegraph live blog

He's gone.

Please not Williamson
    The one major drawback of this is it makes Williamson and Jenrick secure. Johnson’s can’t afford to lose three cabinet ministers in quick succession.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419

ping said:

Surprised at the timing.

Not sure Boris asked for this - may have been Hancock's decision, who is rather better at politics than Johnson - rehabilitation on the back benches may yet see him return to front line politics.
    I like to be positive if possible, but have we actually seen any habilitation to 're'? He was a total embarrassment as a Minister even before failing to keep the mole in the hole.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

Telegraph live blog

He's gone.

Zahawi has done pretty well in the same department; maybe a promotion for him?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MaxPB said:

It’s right up there with the worst!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    MaxPB said:

Yeah Hancock is done.

Will pile in on Wancock to stay when the market overreacts to this. He won't resign and Boris won't sack him over any kind of malfeasance. The only thing Boris will sack him for is disloyalty. When Dom started taking aim at Carrie he was sacked, the whole eye test saga was simply ignored as long as Dom stayed loyal.

Edit - or not! 🥳🥳🥳
    LOL
  • Options

Kinda makes sense.

Would be a big promotion but a continuity candidate for sure. Hopefully he isn't as captured by the zero COVID wankers as Hancock clearly was.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HANCOCK HAS RESIGNED.

Yesterday:

Over half UK adults say Matt Hancock should resign over affair with aid

Should resign 58%
    Should not resign 25%

This includes 46% 2019 Conservative voters.

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1408437574985826304?s=20

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,224
    Questions:
    1. Cock was obviously on the Cumstain shit list. How many other names are on it?
    2. What is in tomorrow's papers that abruptly forced Cock to throw in the towel?
    3. Will he now call for other ministers to also resign for their own transgressions?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think you have a way to go to top Rogerdamus.....
  • Options
    Astonishing that Hancock held on this long, he should resign as an MP as well and face a by-election
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Kinda makes sense.

Would be a big promotion but a continuity candidate for sure. Hopefully he isn't as captured by the zero COVID wankers as Hancock clearly was.
    Hancock isn't the one you need to be worried about, Hancock looks like Piers Corbyn next to Michael Gove who is Mr Lockdown.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352
    On thread. I think Hancock will be gone within a week.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Telegraph live blog

He's gone.

What about Johnson resigning for doing the same thing in multiple offices throughout the capital?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1408838258054909952

Does Boris Johnson have any brain cells?
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Kinda makes sense.

Hancock isn't the one you need to be worried about, Hancock looks like Piers Corbyn next to Michael Gove who is Mr Lockdown.
    Gove is a complete cretin. Don't think Boris will give him a high profile like that. Everyone knows he's not to be trusted.
  • Options
    I thought the matter was closed?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,352

Mine seems mistimed too.. just walked the dogs...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Cynical ploy by the govt to cheer up the people of Wales.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Quincel said:

Given the way Johnson has treated other Cabinet ministers and Cummings after what we might call 'Professional Standards Slips' I don't see why Hancock isn't 1/5 at the longest to survive the next few days.

My timing wasn't quite as bad as MaxPB's, but I'm happy to eat some humble pie (and losses of a couple of bets) on this.
  • Options
    BoJo seems to be totally incapable of understanding that Hancock has got it wrong.

"Back in frontline politics soon?" - sorry what?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Bold call
  • Options
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    Hancock was probably in an unrecoverable situation, given the importance of his current role. There was no chance of a quiet time for him to hide and wait for the drip-drip of stories to cease and the news cycle to move on. We're in a health crisis, and the health secretary needs to be front and centre.

BTW, I see his Wiki's already been updated ...
  • Options
    A day is a long time in politics:

No10 confirm @BorisJohnson is not sacking @MattHancock
    1:33 PM · Jun 25, 2021

https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/1408402852427534338?s=20
  • Options
    Well that's screwed my morning thread.

Hancock needs England to beat Germany on Tuesday to survive this.
  • Options
    Johnson seems to be intent on going down with Matt Hancock, which is a bizarre decision.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Telegraph live blog

He's gone.

What about Johnson resigning for doing the same thing in multiple offices throughout the capital?
    Good try but he has not been shown to have broken covid rules which is why Hancock has gone, not the affair
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Though Roger's (ex-Oscar) predictions are usually diametrically opposed to the actual outcomes, I don't think he's ever posted a prediction that's come unstuck whilst he was typing it.

I think Max has set a new standard.

• Options
    edited June 2021

Interesting he writes that he "needs to be with his children" - no mention of "wife":

And here's why - he's leaving her:

https://twitter.com/janemerrick23/status/1408840240199090179?s=20

Good luck getting access.....
  • Options

Just sub Johnson for Hancock and you’ll be OK.
  • Options

Johnson seems to be intent on going down with Matt Hancock, which is a bizarre decision.

Should Carrie be worried or Gina?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    kinabalu said:

The Cock's out!

But will Dick investigate?
  • Options

He comes across like such a c word
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    His wife looked very relaxed last night. Seemed to be enjoying all the fuss.
  • Options
    isam said:

OllyT said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

Why was it though?

If Labour lose Batley due to a big Muslim vote for George Galloway it won't be fair or valid to attribute it to homophobia. The fact is, Galloway has strong appeal to Muslims here - has twice won a seat off the back of this - and it's in large part due to his long and loud campaigning for Palestine. And it's also a fact that Labour under Starmer is not as overtly pro-Palestine as it was under Corbyn. Plus there's been far more focus on antisemitism under Starmer than on islamophobia. These are all reasons why Muslims might desert the party and lodge a by-election protest vote for GG. Anybody who ignores this and instead homes in purely on Muslim homophobia (and/or antisemitism) as the reason for the result will be showing a bit of islamophobic leg.
    However you choose to try and dress it up anti-semitism and homophobia are right at the heart of the reasons muslims are switching to Galloway. It really is about time that Labour stopped pussy-footing around those issues and told muslims that hold those views to do one. It's one of the reasons I let my membership lapse when Corbyn became leader. You are deluding yourself Kinabalu, I witnessed it my own CLP
    It seems it is islamophobic to take what the majority of British Muslims say they believe (that homosexuality should be illegal) at face value. Do left wingers think belief in Islamic values is false conciousness? Chinese style re education in store?

…to quote from neo-nazi handbook The Guardian

“ …when asked to what extent they agreed or disagreed that homosexuality should be legal in Britain, 18% said they agreed and 52% said they disagreed, compared with 5% among the public at large who disagreed. Almost half (47%) said they did not agree that it was acceptable for a gay person to become a teacher, compared with 14% of the general population.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
    Nope, just quoting that is insufficient to attain islamophobe status. To clear that bar you need to bang on about it at every opportunity and it needs to be about the only time you ever show any great concern for LGBT issues. I'm sure you understand.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Cynical ploy by the govt to cheer up the people of Wales.

It has worked with me

And Denmark deserve to win
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Though Roger's (ex-Oscar) predictions are usually diametrically opposed to the actual outcomes, I don't think he's ever posted a prediction that's come unstuck whilst he was typing it.

I think Max has set a new standard.

Except for @DavidL on the cricket.
  • Options

And tomorrow's front pages
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

OllyT said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Pulpstar said:

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

Why was it though?

It seems it is islamophobic to take what the majority of British Muslims say they believe (that homosexuality should be illegal) at face value. Do left wingers think belief in Islamic values is false conciousness? Chinese style re education in store?

…to quote from neo-nazi handbook The Guardian

“ …when asked to what extent they agreed or disagreed that homosexuality should be legal in Britain, 18% said they agreed and 52% said they disagreed, compared with 5% among the public at large who disagreed. Almost half (47%) said they did not agree that it was acceptable for a gay person to become a teacher, compared with 14% of the general population.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
    Nope, just quoting that is insufficient to attain islamophobe status. To clear that bar you need to bang on about it at every opportunity and it needs to be about the only time you ever show any great concern for LGBT issues. I'm sure you understand.
    Careful, you’ll end up shaming me into not mentioning your uncomfortable truths
  • Options

Cad and bounder indeed.
  • Options
    Hancock should have argued Gina Colangelo's legs were always two metres apart and he would have survived.

#IWouldHaveMadeAnExcellentSpinDoctor
  • Options
    Who would have thought it? Matt Hancock is out before England.

https://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1408836785543778305?s=20
  • Options
    Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 178
    edited June 2021

Reading the various posts on B & S it seems a nightmare for Labour but also it does seem most think it is a loss

Is it the case Labour are virtually certain to lose

No, the idea Muslims are going to go en masse to Galloway simply because the Labour candidate is lesbian is xenophobic nonsense.

Can they still lose? Most definitely, is it certain? No, not at all.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Vaccine diplomacy...

China threatened to withhold vaccines from Ukraine for human rights scrutiny - reports

The Associated Press reports that China threatened to withhold 500,000 COVID vaccines from Ukraine if the country went through with plans to cosign a statement calling for more investigations into what is happening in Xinjiang.

More than a million Uighur Muslims are said to be in so called "reeducation camps" in the region. Sky News reported this week on how Uighur cemeteries are being destroyed in the region.

Two diplomats familiar with the matter told the Associated Press that Ukraine pulled out of the plan to call for immediate access for independent inspectors to Xinjiang following the pressure.

Ukraine purchased 1.9 million doses of the CoronaVac jab from China's Sinovac Biotech. As of early May, Ukraine had received 1.2 million doses.

More than 40 countries supported the statement, which was presented by Canada at the Human Rights Council in Geneva on Tuesday.

One of the Western diplomats called it sign of "bare-knuckles" diplomacy by China. The other diplomat cited "reports of significant pressure in Kyiv," adding, "last night the delegation told us they needed to pull out".
  • Options
    Nunu3 said:

Reading the various posts on B & S it seems a nightmare for Labour but also it does seem most think it is a loss

Is it the case Labour are virtually certain to lose

No, the idea Muslims are going to go en masse to Galloway simply because the Labour candidate is lesbian is xenophobic nonsense.

Can they still lose? Most definitely, is it certain? No, not at all.
    How many of the Galloway voters do you think will have been influenced by the sexuality of the Labour candidate?

Do you think it will be zero?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    When he was first on the scene I thought Hancock was a smarmy git. I’ve actually found him less objectionable in the last 18 months.

Shows that first impressions are often right.
  • Options

Hancock should have argued Gina Colangelo's legs were always two metres apart and he would have survived.

#IWouldHaveMadeAnExcellentSpinDoctor

Reminds me of that old Spitting Image Joke about Paddy Pantsdown: "I touched neither her left leg, nor her right leg, but somewhere inbetween."
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    BBC commentator: "Is there a chink in Denmark's armour? And, if so, can Wales find it?"

No. And no.
This discussion has been closed.