Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Russia Today presenter Galloway now 11/4 to be beat LAB in Batley & Spen – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited June 2021 in General
imageRussia Today presenter Galloway now 11/4 to be beat LAB in Batley & Spen – politicalbetting.com

Next by-election up is, of course, Batley & Spen on Thursday next week and the main interest is on ex-LAB then ex-RESPECT MP, George Galloway who is a presenter on Russia Today.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    1st
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560

1st

Amazing! - how did you manage that?
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006
    Владимир Путин - пизда
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    I saw this earlier today and have to say, the 1/4 Ladbrokes will give you on Labour winning this head to head seems amazing value. Survation had it as 41% v 6%, and the fieldwork wasn't that long ago.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    How many viewers tune into RT?
    Of those how many know Galloway is a regular presenter?
    Of those how many are voters in B&S, and how many care about it or know what it means beyond he is on TV?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,747
    I love Galloway's hats. He is the last great hat wearer in British public life: discuss

OK him and the Queen
  • Options

Владимир Путин - пизда

Be careful with your door handles!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Andy_JS said:

"Could Labour come third in Batley & Spen? Tories say George Galloway is 'destroying' Keir Starmer's hopes in crucial by-election and hard-Left ex-MP is now the main 'threat' to effort to seize another piece of Red Wall

Labour struggling to hold on in Batley & Spen by-election happening on July 1
    Tories believe George Galloway 'hoovering up' votes from Muslim community"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9712893/Could-Labour-come-Batley-Spen.html

I know it is not meant this way, but I feel like someone on twitter could get a good faux outrage on by pretending to be offended as people 'hoover up' material they want to discard as rubbish.

kle4 said:

As a dedicated hat wearer I would like to be clear we are not all like Galloway. He does not speak for us.

I hope you don't beret grudge.
    I mitre have done so in the past.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I love Galloway's hats. He is the last great hat wearer in British public life: discuss

OK him and the Queen

Cerys Matthews
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    “What Hat are you talking out of now?”
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Potential Galloway voters would only be bothered about Russia if it invaded Afghanistan.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Labour sent Rosenna Allin Khan to Batley today. At the weekend they sent Anas Sarwar. I’ll never understand why so many British Muslims care about Palestine and not other global conflicts, but equally I think Labour are going to have to offer them more than a few metropolitan Muslim faces given they are up against a rabble rouser of great experience in George Galloway - a man who you’ll struggle to outflank when it comes to the Middle East.
  • Options
    Also, what evidence do we have for believing Galloway is "pond life"?

I have not heard him make outright racist/anti-Semitic statements. He is pro-Palestinian, that is fair enough. He is a friend of Islam. That is obviously defensible. He has been sacked for questioning the rape charges against Assange, who hasn't wondered about them?

He's eccentric and narcissistic, with a colourful, quirky private life. So what. He's also a fine orator and a British unionist. Good! He publicly chastised the Americans over Iraq. Excellent work

Why is he regarded as a pariah? This is such an accepted opinion I never questioned it until now, but on scrutiny I am not sure it holds up

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,584

kle4 said:

As a dedicated hat wearer I would like to be clear we are not all like Galloway. He does not speak for us.

If the cap fits?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Leon said:

I have not heard him make outright racist/anti-Semitic statements. He is pro-Palestinian, that is fair enough. He is a friend of Islam. That is obviously defensible. He has been sacked for questioning the rape charges against Assange, who hasn't wondered about them?

He's eccentric and narcissistic, with a colourful, quirky private life. So what. He's also a fine orator and a British unionist. Good! He publicly chastised the Americans over Iraq. Excellent work

Why is he regarded as a pariah? This is such an accepted opinion I never questioned it until now, but on scrutiny I am not sure it holds up

This summarises the case against him fairly comprehensively, with plenty of links.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2021/06/george-galloway-s-disgraceful-record-shows-he-no-friend-progressives
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Leon said:

If you want to know what kind of man George Galloway is, look at what happened to War on Want (and the donations it received) under his stewardship.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Quincel said:

I saw this earlier today and have to say, the 1/4 Ladbrokes will give you on Labour winning this head to head seems amazing value. Survation had it as 41% v 6%, and the fieldwork wasn't that long ago.

Agreed. The constituency is only 20% non white too. Galloway can hurt Labour but I seriously doubt he can beat them. I suspect there are plenty of Muslims who will hold their nose and vote Leadbeater in a 2 horse race with the Tories too. If they’ve always voted Labour it’s unlikely they all break the habit now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Leon said:

OK him and the Queen

HM the Q has the edge on wearing a Crown.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

If you want to know what kind of man George Galloway is, look at what happened to War on Want (and the donations it received) under his stewardship.
    Fair enough. And I now recall he did publicly praise Saddam Hussein. Eeek

Nonetheless politics needs these oddballs on left AND right and three quarters east of bonkers. Why shouldn't the anti-Israeli, homophobic voters of Batley have their opinions heard?

Go, Geo G
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

"Could Labour come third in Batley & Spen? Tories say George Galloway is 'destroying' Keir Starmer's hopes in crucial by-election and hard-Left ex-MP is now the main 'threat' to effort to seize another piece of Red Wall

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9712893/Could-Labour-come-Batley-Spen.html

I know it is not meant this way, but I feel like someone on twitter could get a good faux outrage on by pretending to be offended as people 'hoover up' material they want to discard as rubbish.

kle4 said:

That's some top hat punning...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445
    FPT

"The senior Tory source involved in the Batley & Spen campaign said: 'We are worried about Galloway. The question mark is all about turnout. We have got to get our vote out, and we should win it. I think Galloway will hoover up the Muslim vote - almost all of it. 'He should get around 12,000 votes - although it depends on turnout. If we get 14,000 we should be alright. Labour look like getting 6,000. 'Galloway is the threat. Labour is f*****.'"

• Options
    Iran seems to be entering its FIFTH wave

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Nonetheless politics needs these oddballs on left AND right and three quarters east of bonkers. Why shouldn't the anti-Israeli, homophobic voters of Batley have their opinions heard?

Go, Geo G
    We do need some characters, we don't want to end up with nothing but beige, identikit, technocratic automatons with PPE degrees and previous jobs as SPADs who never say or do anything interesting for fear of upsetting anyone, but surely we can do better than Galloway?

Galloway seems like a shit stirrer, and his motivation for such seems to be self promotion more than anything else, given he will stand pretty much anywhere like a novelty candidate, without a consistent message like a perennial campaigner.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited June 2021
    Best prices - Tour de France winner

Tadej Pogačar (Slo) 17/10
    Primož Roglič (Slo) 5/2
    Geraint Thomas (Wal) 33/5
    Richard Carapaz (Ecu) 11/1
    Richie Porte (Aus) 27/1
    Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) 35/1
    Mark Padun (Ukr) 40/1
    Miguel Ángel López (Col) 50/1
    Rigoberto Urán (Col) 59/1
    Tao Geoghegan Hart (Sco) 79/1
    100 bar
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,235
    England has an easy draw. That is why we are now joint second-favourites on Betfair.

If we beat Germany on Tuesday, we'll face Sweden or Ukraine in the quarter-finals. Then a semi-final against one of these four: Denmark; Wales; Holland; Czechia.

Of course, they will be saying much the same in Berlin and Stockholm; Kiev and Cardiff.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Go, Geo G
    We do need some characters, we don't want to end up with nothing but beige, identikit, technocratic automatons with PPE degrees and previous jobs as SPADs who never say or do anything interesting for fear of upsetting anyone, but surely we can do better than Galloway?

Galloway seems like a shit stirrer, and his motivation for such seems to be self promotion more than anything else, given he will stand pretty much anywhere like a novelty candidate, without a consistent message like a perennial campaigner.
    But the people willing to break the Beige Mould will always be mavericks like Galloway (offensive to many) until and unless the party system breaks down, along with social media policing of our opinions

If I may, I will draw a comparison with UFO experts

"Neutral observers" often sledge the whole concept of UFOlogy by saying: Look, all the people that believe in it are cranks, madmen or xanax addicts

And they are generally right. But the reason they are right is that "belief" in UFOs has been so stigmatised, and rendered so socially unacceptable, that the only people willing to own up to it are the fringe loons who have nothing to lose

This is not healthy, not in our sky-watching or our politics
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Brom said:

Quincel said:

Agreed. The constituency is only 20% non white too. Galloway can hurt Labour but I seriously doubt he can beat them. I suspect there are plenty of Muslims who will hold their nose and vote Leadbeater in a 2 horse race with the Tories too. If they’ve always voted Labour it’s unlikely they all break the habit now.
    Only 20% non white! GG doesn't stand a chance of winning this seat against Tories on solid 40% and sizable LDs and Greens.

Laying him on Betfair at 32 or 34 is an excellent return in a week.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Go, Geo G

But the people willing to break the Beige Mould will always be mavericks like Galloway (offensive to many) until and unless the party system breaks down, along with social media policing of our opinions
    Mavericks are a range too. You don't need to be Galloway to be a maverick, though they will be a higher proportion.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It holds up. The man is a despicable sectarian, telling blatant lies about opponents to stir up hatred.
  • Options

Leon said:

It holds up. The man is a despicable sectarian, telling blatant lies about opponents to stir up hatred.
    Like what?

"Despicable sectarian" is pretty strong language. But I am willing to be persuaded by evidence
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

1st

Typical Lib Dem - winning here :smiley:
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    George Galloway is a self serving scoundrel. His post-Labour ambitions always seems to be of tacit benefit to the Conservative Party. He is a disgrace to Scotland, socialism, humanity and felinity.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    I've sold Labour in Batley and Spen; Galloway knows how to get votes in by-elections and it's Labour's share he is coming for.
    I think it's a relatively comfortable Tory win fwiw - the Heavy Woollens split their vote in the GE and Galloway is going to do that to Labour here.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

"The senior Tory source involved in the Batley & Spen campaign said: 'We are worried about Galloway. The question mark is all about turnout. We have got to get our vote out, and we should win it. I think Galloway will hoover up the Muslim vote - almost all of it. 'He should get around 12,000 votes - although it depends on turnout. If we get 14,000 we should be alright. Labour look like getting 6,000. 'Galloway is the threat. Labour is f*****.'"

That is an attempt by the Conservatives to split the Lefty vote.
    You missed 'transparent' before the word attempt there.
  • Options
    I doubt Galloway's potential vote knows, no less little cares about the Crimea/Royal Navy situation.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    If Boris can't stand up to a bunch of UEFA bureaucrats what chance has he when it comes to Vladimir Putin?
  • Options
    Labour's position in B&S on Betfair Exchange is worsening.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.183248116
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

George Galloway is a self serving scoundrel. His post-Labour ambitions always seems to be of tacit benefit to the Conservative Party. He is a disgrace to Scotland, socialism, humanity and felinity.

I would guess he wants to fatally wound Starmer and hope the hard left can take control again.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    How big an issue is Palestine really in Batley and Spen? Obviously it matters to some people but it needs quantifying.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

If Boris can't stand up to a bunch of UEFA bureaucrats what chance has he when it comes to Vladimir Putin?

The exemptions for members of international organizations have existed since the travel restrictions were first introduced.
  • Options

How big an issue is Palestine really in Batley and Spen? Obviously it matters to some people but it needs quantifying.

Galloway knows what makes the muslim vote tick.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,884
    edited June 2021

Primož Roglič (Slo) 5/2
    Richie Porte (Aus) 27/1
    Mark Padun (Ukr) 40/1
    100 bar

Flatlander's predictions:

Porte will crash, Alaphilippe will crack in the mountains, even though there aren't many. Uran will follow and not gain any time, Geoghegan Hart will be under team orders. Carapaz might get a shot if Thomas isn't going well but the time trials might not suit.

Thomas or Pogacar. Roglic second to whoever wins.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Is George Galloway a Muslim himself?

Looks it up. Why he is so funny about not just saying if has converted or not? Its like Jezza and his unwillingness to just say if he has been vaccinated.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson’s political tactics against Labour in England might have unintended consequences north of the border

… A secondary problem is that the Tory political strategy for England is so divisive. Mr Johnson owes his Commons majority to an electoral realignment that brought pro-Brexit voters in former Labour strongholds over to the Conservatives for the first time. In the absence of substantial economic dividends in those areas, Downing Street thinks it can appeal to a certain patriotic sensibility, through confected rows over flags, history and race. But that is a distinctly English nationalist agenda, even if the flag it flies is the union jack. The culture war tactics deployed against Labour might have the unintended consequence of defining patriotism in terms that do not resonate for Scots.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/23/the-guardian-view-on-tories-and-scotland-beware-muscular-unionism
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    @AndyBurnhamGM
    And there was me thinking they were confidential …

@DSanderson_85
    NEW: talks between @AndyBurnhamGM and @NicolaSturgeon about the SNP's controversial travel ban today did not go well...

A source close to the FM claims Burnham gave an "incoherent and absurd" explanation of why advice on @greatermcr website urges residents to 'minimise travel'

https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1407822922664845312
    https://twitter.com/DSanderson_85/status/1407809750729961479
  • Options
    An incredibly beautiful, lustrous, midsummer full moon over London tonight. The grand old city laughs in its reveries
  • Options

Primož Roglič (Slo) 5/2
    Richie Porte (Aus) 27/1
    Mark Padun (Ukr) 40/1
    100 bar

Porte will crash, Alaphilippe will crack in the mountains, even though there aren't many. Uran will follow and not gain any time, Geoghegan Hart will be under team orders. Carapaz might get a shot if Thomas isn't going well but the time trials might not suit.

Good analysis. I find the unwillingness of most South American stars to attack a bit depressing. Not sure about Alaphilippe cracking, he has looked tremendous in the early season. The Ineos team orders are, as you say, vitally important. Porte might not crash.

Pogačar is an amazing talent. If he stays well and doesn’t have any bad luck, he ought to win in Paris.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    Am increasingly convinced the Tories have got this.
    Equally. Lay Galloway, back Lab in the match bet looks stonking value.
    And Galloway is a Tory mole. Everything he does benefits them.
  • Options

Primož Roglič (Slo) 5/2
    Richie Porte (Aus) 27/1
    Mark Padun (Ukr) 40/1
    100 bar

Good analysis. I find the unwillingness of most South American stars to attack a bit depressing. Not sure about Alaphilippe cracking, he has looked tremendous in the early season. The Ineos team orders are, as you say, vitally important. Porte might not crash.

Pogačar is an amazing talent. If he stays well and doesn’t have any bad luck, he ought to win in Paris.
    Will be fascinating to see Alaphillipe in yellow. He's a cavalier maverick. He lost yellow to a penalty last time. Can he, will he defend a lead??
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The leader of the Scottish Conservatives disagrees:

Douglas Ross says former MP is a 'tool for the nationalists'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/04/05/galloways-pro-uk-party-could-cost-unionists-eight-seats-tory/
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Primož Roglič (Slo) 5/2
    Richie Porte (Aus) 27/1
    Mark Padun (Ukr) 40/1
    100 bar

Will be fascinating to see Alaphillipe in yellow. He's a cavalier maverick. He lost yellow to a penalty last time. Can he, will he defend a lead??
    If he gets into yellow he’ll defend it like a tiger. Opponents will have to rip it off his back. My concern with him is that he lacks the self-discipline required of a Grand Tour champion. He wants to win too much.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/04/05/galloways-pro-uk-party-could-cost-unionists-eight-seats-tory/
    And did he cost the Unionists eight seats?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

@AndyBurnhamGM

@DSanderson_85
    NEW: talks between @AndyBurnhamGM and @NicolaSturgeon about the SNP's controversial travel ban today did not go well...

A source close to the FM claims Burnham gave an "incoherent and absurd" explanation of why advice on @greatermcr website urges residents to 'minimise travel'

It's the Queen Of Scots VS King Of The North
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Looks it up. Why he is so funny about not just saying if has converted or not? Its like Jezza and his unwillingness to just say if he has been vaccinated.
    IIRC he was married to a Palestinian woman at one time. Not sure whether that's still the case.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    edited June 2021
    dixiedean said:

Time for a Tories for George club?

But no. I wouldn't have to shower after every election so much as sterilise myself.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

And did he cost the Unionists eight seats?
    No, he probably didn’t even cost them one (I can’t be bothered doing the actual sums), but he certainly didn’t help the Unionist cause. They needed (and got) an extremely focused vote on certain specific Labour, Lib Dem and Tory candidates. All the minor Unionist candidates (and there were tons) were just hampering that core strategy.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Primož Roglič (Slo) 5/2
    Richie Porte (Aus) 27/1
    Mark Padun (Ukr) 40/1
    100 bar

If he gets into yellow he’ll defend it like a tiger. Opponents will have to rip it off his back. My concern with him is that he lacks the self-discipline required of a Grand Tour champion. He wants to win too much.
    Yes. That was my point, which you put much more coherently.
    He just seems to enjoy the challenge too much. Sitting on the back of a domestique all day every day doesn't appear to be his style.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072

England has an easy draw. That is why we are now joint second-favourites on Betfair.

If we beat Germany on Tuesday, we'll face Sweden or Ukraine in the quarter-finals. Then a semi-final against one of these four: Denmark; Wales; Holland; Czechia.

Of course, they will be saying much the same in Berlin and Stockholm; Kiev and Cardiff.

Obviously, as a Briton, I want an England v Wales Semi, with the victor going on to triumph in the final.

On the evidence of the games I've seen so far, I think the Netherlands would be the most entertaining team to see reach the final, though Italy v France in the other Semi looks a bit like the true final to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    An interesting question IMO is: what happens if Galloway does as well with Muslims in Batley & Spen as he did with Muslims in Bradford West in 2012? He won 56% on that occasion in a seat that's about 50% Muslim. Batley & Spen is about 20% Muslim. Also, it's possible he may do better with white working-class voters in Batley than he did in Bradford.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Primož Roglič (Slo) 5/2
    Richie Porte (Aus) 27/1
    Mark Padun (Ukr) 40/1
    100 bar

True, Alaphilippe might hang on - he almost did before - but that double Ventoux must be a worry. He'll also need another good day in the time trials, where he's not always been consistent. Roglic should be right up there on paper but just doesn't seem to quite have it at the crucial point, and the collapse last year might be a bit of a mental block. Hence second.

The team is the big thing in favour of Thomas. Ineos always have a plan - probably praying for crosswinds in this case, given their support riders - and I can't see them turning up without the intention of winning.

All things being equal, though, yes, Pogacar must be the favourite. So much can go wrong though, so 17/10 seems rather ungenerous. 33/5 for Thomas seems better value.

It will be good to see Mark Cavendish racing again, though surely he won't quite be up to his old standards, despite the wins in lower tier events. I do wonder whether Sam Bennett's "injury" was politic rather than real.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Primož Roglič (Slo) 5/2
    Richie Porte (Aus) 27/1
    Mark Padun (Ukr) 40/1
    100 bar

Yes. That was my point, which you put much more coherently.
    He just seems to enjoy the challenge too much. Sitting on the back of a domestique all day every day doesn't appear to be his style.
    Whatever happens, he'll provide plenty of entertainment. Which is what it is all about, ultimately...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Like what?

"Despicable sectarian" is pretty strong language. But I am willing to be persuaded by evidence
    Suggest you look at the details of how he campaigned against Oonagh King in Bethnal Green. Despicably sectarian, anti-Semitic and misogynist accurately describes it.
    Or you could cite evidence, rather than bald assertions? I’m not doubting you, but so far I’ve not seen much factual corroboration, just opinion
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Talking about gun control, a very rambling Biden says that if you want to take on the US government you need "F-15s and maybe some nuclear weapons".

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1407808797029113857
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited June 2021
    GIN1138 said:

@AndyBurnhamGM

@DSanderson_85

It's the Queen Of Scots VS King Of The North
    This duel will decide the fate of Great Britain, IMO.

Boris will "kick the can" until Labour is elected to govern under PM Burnham around 2028/2029.... Which will be followed by one last Scottish referendum around 2030.

The King of the North Vs the Queen of Scots! 2030! Will decide the Britain's fate between 2030 to 2100!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

IIRC he was married to a Palestinian woman at one time. Not sure whether that's still the case.
    He's married to an Indonesian woman. Putri Gayatri Pertiwi, since 2012.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

That is an attempt by the Conservatives to split the Lefty vote.
    It could backfire on the Tories if they actually lose the seat to Galloway, which I don't think is impossible if the votes between the three main candidates are split very evenly. A much higher turnout in the Muslim areas compared to the white working-class areas is also possible.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Like what?

Suggest you look at the details of how he campaigned against Oonagh King in Bethnal Green. Despicably sectarian, anti-Semitic and misogynist accurately describes it.
    Oonagh is now on LA with me, working at Snapchat,
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

He's married to an Indonesian woman. Putri Gayatri Pertiwi, since 2012.
    I must be thinking of Dr Amineh Abu-Zayyad.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Like what?

Or you could cite evidence, rather than bald assertions? I’m not doubting you, but so far I’ve not seen much factual corroboration, just opinion
    There is a website called Google - check it yourself
  • Options

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Like what?

There is a website called Google - check it yourself
    Exactly what I was thinking.

If the overwhelming body of opinion is that Erich Mielke was a shit of the highest order, you look like a bit of a twat saying “Ah, but good ole Erich is an enemy of my enemy, so he must be a wonderful chap; and anyway you are all just slandering him”. Any intelligent chap would Google Erich Mielke and see what all the fuss is about.

I’m not saying George is Erich, but I have personal experience of the Scottish turd, and I think, given the right extraordinary circumstances, George’s life could have formed a similar path to Erich’s.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    So this row is no closer to being resolved and neither side looks like backing down.

Burnham's office is currently gathering evidence on constituents affected and has not ruled out legal action in bid to win compensation for them.

To be continued...

https://twitter.com/DSanderson_85/status/1407812787288543232?s=20

Foolish of Burnham not to expect Sturgeon to leak “ confidential” conversation - ask UKGOV or Kezia Dugdale…
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    If labour lose B & S the blame will lie with the party's reliance on factionalism and the continued toxic legacy of the Corbyn era. I wionder if they are aware of what a potentially lethal moment for the party's future could lie ahead next Thursday.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337

Pulpstar said:

It's an example of Schrödinger's catsuit,
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    This must be a first

Karim Benzema scored for France in 46 mins and 44 seconds, then scored again in 46 mins 44 seconds.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Like what?

Oona King’s diaries make quite extraordinary reading:

https://www.newstatesman.com/node/195299

Admittedly, she was hardly squeaky clean herself having made many allegations about Galloway, one of which he won libel damages for.

Must have been the dirtiest political campaign in London since Westminster in 1784.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Like what?

Admittedly, she was hardly squeaky clean herself having made many allegations about Galloway, one of which he won libel damages for.

Must have been the dirtiest political campaign in London since Westminster in 1784.
    Hang on: didn't Galloway and her settle out of court?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Andy_JS said:

An interesting question IMO is: what happens if Galloway does as well with Muslims in Batley & Spen as he did with Muslims in Bradford West in 2012? He won 56% on that occasion in a seat that's about 50% Muslim. Batley & Spen is about 20% Muslim. Also, it's possible he may do better with white working-class voters in Batley than he did in Bradford.

Could come second. You'd have thought that an outright victory would require a total Labour implosion, which doesn't seem likely.

Galloway ought to split the left vote and let the Tories through the middle: the latter will presumably be very disappointed if their vote share doesn't increase relative to the GE. There's no particular reason to imagine that significant defections would take place amongst their existing support, you'd expect some direct Lab to Con swing (albeit not on the same scale as Hartlepool,) and they ought to bag at least some of the 15% or so that went to BXP and the Heavy Woollens last time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited June 2021
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Like what?

Hang on: didn't Galloway and her settle out of court?
    You’re right, yes. With the classic non-apology apology.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/mar/15/election2005.labour

Was confusing it with the Telegraph case of about the same time, which he did win.

The judge in that case was the highly controversial David Eady, but the Telegraph’s attempted defence was beyond bizarre.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    Floater said:

1st

Typical Lib Dem - winning here :smiley:
    You should demand better.
  • Options
    More than 2 million adults in England have experienced coronavirus symptoms lasting over 12 weeks, such as respiratory problems and fatigue, government data suggests. It is double the previous estimate for long Covid. The research by the React-2 study, which has not yet been peer-reviewed, found that 37.7% of those who had symptomatic Covid experienced at least one symptom lasting 12 weeks or more, while 14.8% had three or more persistent symptoms. “The scale of the problem is quite alarming,” said Prof Kevin McConway, emeritus professor of applied statistics at the Open University. Dave Smith, 72, from Bristol, has told the Guardian of his experience including 42 positive tests and seven hospital admissions during a persistent infection over the course of 10 months.
  • Options
    The software entrepreneur John McAfee, 75, has been found dead in his jail cell in Spain from an apparent suicide by hanging, hours after the country’s highest court approved his extradition to the United States on tax-related criminal charges. McAfee, the creator of the McAfee antivirus suite, was arrested last October at Barcelona’s international airport as he was about to board a flight to Istanbul. The creator of one of the most-used virus protection brands worldwide was a controversial figure, cryptocurrency promoter, tax opponent and fugitive who twice made long-shot runs for the US presidency.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    edited June 2021
    Good morning fellow pb-ers.

Thanks Dr F for the HurstLama reference yesterday. I'm not on Twitter; can't, TBH, be bothered.

Cracking finish to the World Test Championship yesterday. And a good result against Sri Lanka.

What on earth was our Navy doing off the coast of Crimea yesterday? That war finished 165 years ago. And, looking at the BBC last night and the headline in the Mail, how many journalists were on the ship, and why?

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

A hat wearer? That’s completely changed my mental image of you..,
  • Options
    Leon said:

Iirc he skimmed the charitable donations he solicited for Palestine

Edit: potentially worse than I remembered

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/no-evidence-of-charitable-activity-at-aid-convoy-charity-set-up-by-george-galloway.html

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/george-galloway-charity-paid-wife-84000-newspaper-claims/finance/article/1435881

And there’s this

www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/galloway-faces-new-police-enquiry-into-saddam-cash-6598724.html%3famp
  • Options

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bowlered you over?
  • Options
    Charles said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bowlered you over?
    Has that put the cap on it?
  • Options
    RobD said:

The exemptions for members of international organizations have existed since the travel restrictions were first introduced.
    And sponsors?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bowlered you over?
    Gorra (Spanish) be peak punning methinks.
  • Options
    felix said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bowlered you over?
    Blinders?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,354
    felix said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

kle4 said:

Bowlered you over?
    Chapeau, Sir. Chapeau.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,209
    Great hat puns but frankly too many cokes.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Iirc he skimmed the charitable donations he solicited for Palestine

Edit: potentially worse than I remembered

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/no-evidence-of-charitable-activity-at-aid-convoy-charity-set-up-by-george-galloway.html

https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/george-galloway-charity-paid-wife-84000-newspaper-claims/finance/article/1435881

And there’s this

www.standard.co.uk/hp/front/galloway-faces-new-police-enquiry-into-saddam-cash-6598724.html%3famp
    And he once drank milk like a cat on telly
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,235

England now clear second favourites, reflecting the easier draw, though Tuesday's opponents, Germany, have also been backed.

1 France 5.5 18.2%
    2 England 7.8 12.8%
    3 Germany 8 12.5%
    4 Italy 8.4 11.9%
    5 Spain 9.2 10.9%
    6 Netherlands 10.5 9.5%
    7 Belgium 11.5 8.7%
    8 Portugal 14.5 6.9%
    9 Denmark 22 4.5%
    10 Sweden 65 1.5%
    11 Croatia 75 1.3%
    100 bar.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Some fear that this punning will ruin this site, but I think trilby fine.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954

Good morning fellow pb-ers.

Thanks Dr F for the HurstLama reference yesterday. I'm not on Twitter; can't, TBH, be bothered.

Cracking finish to the World Test Championship yesterday. And a good result against Sri Lanka.

What on earth was our Navy doing off the coast of Crimea yesterday? That war finished 165 years ago. And, looking at the BBC last night and the headline in the Mail, how many journalists were on the ship, and why?

SOP to have a representative from the state broadcaster and a hack from a right wing, bellicose tabloid on a warship engaged on some performative confrontation.

Only it’s usually a ship of the Военно-морской флот.
This discussion has been closed.