Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In the London Mayoralty betting the Brian Rose collapse continues – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2021 in General
imageIn the London Mayoralty betting the Brian Rose collapse continues – politicalbetting.com

The chart is from Smarkets and shows the deteriorating fortunes of the big surprise in the betting for May’s London Mayoral election – Brian Rose.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,215
    edited February 2021
    I feel like the Indian bookies are involved in this market, but I'm not going to complain.
  • I feel like the Indian bookies are involved in this market, but I'm not going to complain.

No just a con man with $1 million to burn.
  • Sadiq Khan shouldn't be re-elected.

Sadiq Khan will be re-elected.

No other candidates matter.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Well, recovering from a serious car accident has been done before in golf. Fingers crossed for Tiger.
  • I feel like the Indian bookies are involved in this market, but I'm not going to complain.

But why?

I could understand the 'logic' of the deluded Trumpers than many of us absolutely rinsed from early November onwards but not this.

But why?

I could understand the 'logic' of the deluded Trumpers than many of us absolutely rinsed from early November onwards but not this.
    Ego?

But why?

Ego?
    If you wanted an ego boost I can come up with other ways.

But why?

Ego?
    If you wanted an ego boost I can come up with other ways.
    Some people take themselves/Brewster's Millions too seriously.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,580
    Even for a nailed on certainty I am surprised just how certain the betting is. Figured there were more fools out there, or people who just don't care.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914

Andy_JS said:

NHS app to be converted for vaccine passports

The NHS app will be converted into a digital Covid-19 certificate allowing people to use their phone to prove that they have been vaccinated or tested negative.

No 10 is considering allowing businesses to demand to see the app to ensure that staff or customers are at a much lower risking of being infectious.

Michael Gove will lead a review into the “deep and complex” issues around vaccine passports, which the government is considering again after previously branding them discriminatory.

It is understood that the government wants to give people the option of showing either vaccination status or test results to ensure that the scheme not does penalise those who cannot receive the vaccine for health reasons.

Health chiefs are looking at using the existing NHS app to offer an easy way for people to show that they have been vaccinated or recently tested. While the NHS contact tracing app is considered unsuitable because its design favours privacy, officials believe that the standard NHS appointment booking app would be relatively straightforward to use.

The app already allows people to see their medical records — including Covid-19 vaccinations — and test results are shared with the GP databases it uses, making it feasible to upload and access them quickly.

Health bosses say it is a “mix of ethical and clinical questions” that the review needs to answer, rather than technical ones. This could include whether people could input and verify the results of a lateral flow test carried out at home.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nhs-app-to-be-converted-for-vaccine-passports-r0xx0mflp

So its FU to the 25% who dont have smartphones. What a surprise.
    Why should a tiny minority hold the rest of the country back?
    I want to be able to exist and live without my phone.
    Don't worry, once you've had the Gates vaccine implanted, you'll be on-line all the time.

Remember, though, it can only answer you if you say "Hey Cortana".
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021

I feel like the Indian bookies are involved in this market, but I'm not going to complain.

But why?

He rinsed a load of people for a $1 million on his digital freedom platform and now pivoted to this, I suspect has spent some of that previous money on boosting his poll ratings to try and have another "crowd funding" appeal...in order to do that, it was helpful to try to appear to be the leading opposition candidate.

Now to all of us that just looks stupid, but a load of people gave him (as in literally just donated it, not invested) $1 million to build his own YouTube

But why?

He rinsed a load of people for a $1 million on his digital freedom platform and now pivoted to this, I suspect has spent some of that previous money on boosting his poll ratings to try and have another "crowd funding" appeal...in order to do that, it was helpful to try to appear to be the leading opposition candidate.

Now to all of us that just looks stupid, but a load of people gave him (as in literally just donated it, not invested) $1 million to build his own YouTube
    That makes sense, thanks.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited February 2021
    "Collapsed" and yet still deemed almost twice as likely as the official Tory candidate, just five years after the office was vacated by his current party leader.

What a shambles.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

He's not spent that yet. I'd guess GBP200k tops. There's a lot of trading for small turns.

The Indian market is certainly not involved. He'd be trading 1000 to back if they were.

I've extracted a few hundred pounds from his stupidity. When he was trading at short prices I was tempted to move a substantial sum into BF to lay, but moving money around betting accounts can finish up being a pain in the arse, so I didn't.

So far as I can tell the self-backing on BF is all the campaign has. Weird.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited February 2021
    I should clarify of course it wasn't actual poll ratings, it was just the betting odds, which he inferred meant he was the leading official opposition candidate..... donate....like...subscribe...share...
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,392
    edited February 2021
    It must be a bit dispiriting for Shaun Bailey to be behind Brian Rose in the betting stakes when he officially needs the not enormous figure of a 6.8% swing to win compared to the performance of the Conservative candidate last time.
  • I had a great bet on Khan last year at 1.22 until Betfair voided it.

I'm not all that interested in going back in at 1.04.
    Does anyone see any bad things happening if/when Bitcoin and all the rest go to zero?

Tesla gets hurt of course, and some (but not many) banks directly. Perhaps many banks indirectly. Some associated firms of course vanish, and graphics card manufacturers take a hit.

There's no peril here though - unless I'm missing something?

Bitcoin and the others = 0. (For what it's worth I've never had a position long or short in any of them - nor would I ever do so)
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,295
    FPT

Can anyone please explain why Friday is better than Wednesday from Salmond's point of view. Is something likely to happen on Thursday that will change anything?
    Presumably because it will give the Committee time to clarify to Salmond's legal team exactly what subjects (already in the public domain) he must steer clear of to avoid criminal proceedings. In the absence of this clarification, would you testify?
  • Andy_JS said:

It must be a bit dispiriting for Shaun Bailey to be behind Brian Rose in the betting stakes when he officially needs the not enormous figure of a 6.8% swing to win compared to the performance of the Conservative candidate last time.

He's that crap.

The Conservatives would have done better had they put up Baldrick.

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

Bailey is now ahead.

There's nothing wrong with Baldrick for a little job like Mayor!
  • Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

Last year, pre plague, someone told me Bailey is so crap, he makes Brian Coleman look good.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,870
    @DecrepitJohnL

Any Tory attack against Rosena for getting two Es at A-level would be a gift... for Rosena.

Here is a woman who went from a poor schools performance to grafting her way through college (including being a swimsuit model AIUI!) before going to Cambridge then becoming a doctor in A&E in the NHS.

I’d love to see the Tories try.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited February 2021
    Meanwhile, Sir Keith's getting great results converting those Don't Knows:

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1364269502511341574
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Omnium said:

Does anyone see any bad things happening if/when Bitcoin and all the rest go to zero?

Tesla gets hurt of course, and some (but not many) banks directly. Perhaps many banks indirectly. Some associated firms of course vanish, and graphics card manufacturers take a hit.

Electricity generators' profits?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56012952
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

I think he's been deserted by Indian voters in NW and W London who were a huge part of Boris' coalition. Bailey's ill advised comments on Indian people have been shared on WhatsApp a lot and on the flip side Sadiq has visited basically every temple and done all of the religious rituals at them and been very respectful of Indians who are naturally sceptical of a Pakistani Muslim mayor. Genuinely it's the only thing I give any credit to Sadiq for, everything else about him is a disaster.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

To be fair, what conservative principle could Bailey campaign on that hasn;'t been comprehensively junked in the past year?

Personal responsibility....oh
    Personal freedom......ah
    Small government.....hmmn.
    Fiscal responsibility....LOL
    Low taxation....ROFL
    on the side of the small businessman.....FFS
    Anti nanny state....Nope
    Light touch regulation....chortle
    Law and order....(shutting down picnics....)

• New lockdown tip.

I'm watching classic films I've never seen but always thought I should. Amazing Grace, Dead Poet's Society, Citizen Kane, Get Carter, and Dances with Wolves.. things like that.

The good thing is a film is only 2-3 hours max, so you can definitely get through it in a couple of nights, and most of them are just better than most boxsets and more thought provoking.

If I get really desperate I've also got a Steven Seagal boxset that a friend bought me as a "joke" for my 30th, most of which is still wrapped in cellophane.

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

Last year, pre plague, someone told me Bailey is so crap, he makes Brian Coleman look good.
    Apart from Rory Stewart, who do you think might have been a good candidate?

New lockdown tip.

I'm watching classic films I've never seen but always thought I should. Amazing Grace, Dead Poet's Society, Citizen Kane, Get Carter, and Dances with Wolves.. things like that.

The good thing is a film is only 2-3 hours max, so you can definitely get through it in a couple of nights, and most of them are just better than most boxsets and more thought provoking.

If I get really desperate I've also got a Steven Seagal boxset that a friend bought me as a "joke" for my 30th, most of which is still wrapped in cellophane.

I've worked my way through a few films. I'd never seen The Silence of The Lambs until last month. For once, a film that thoroughly deserved its awards.
  • Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

I reckon Greg Hands could win London under the right circumstances.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,870

New lockdown tip.

The original Under Siege does have its highlights.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,090
    I am wondering at what stage of these increasingly bizarre events that HMG will have to give serious thought to suspending the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

If this were happening in Northern Ireland...
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,092
    This bit didn’t really get commented on here ...

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1364225273298739213
  • Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

Bailey is now ahead.

There's nothing wrong with Baldrick for a little job like Mayor!
    "A rotten candidate for a rotten borough."
  • New lockdown tip.

If the boxset contains Under Siege then you are in for an absolute treat in one scene.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,693
    Omnium said:

Bitcoin and the others = 0. (For what it's worth I've never had a position long or short in any of them - nor would I ever do so)

Presumably that guy searching his local rubbish tip for his ten year old hard drive can finally go home.
    Not that it’s worth anything anyway.

New lockdown tip.

You had never seen these (first line) before!?

Nothing with Steven Seagal is good though.

Look for the remastered blu-ray reissues if you want classic films.

PM me if you want some that I love.

Meanwhile, Sir Keith's getting great results converting those Don't Knows:

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1364269502511341574

I thought achieving Net Zero was supposed to be a good thing.

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

Ok, interesting. I sort of have a connection, so don't wish to comment. (Good connection)
  • Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

I think until there's a sea change in the attitude of minorities to the Conservatives - which I do expect one day - London is now lost to them.

I'm always surprised by how conservative so many minorities can be from so many different backgrounds yet they rarely vote that way.
    ydoethur said:

I am wondering at what stage of these increasingly bizarre events that HMG will have to give serious thought to suspending the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

It would be a catastrophic error. The USP of the Scottish Parliament is, at the mo, that it is not dysfunctional. If it becomes dysfunctional then that can only benefit Unionism, something that (despite evidence to the contrary) I think HMG still supports.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Omnium said:

New lockdown tip.

Just started watching KB in Wallander again. I'd forgotten that a young Tom Hiddleston featured!
  • Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

I think until there's a sea change in the attitude of minorities to the Conservatives - which I do expect one day - London is now lost to them.

I'm always surprised by how conservative so many minorities can be from so many different backgrounds yet they rarely vote that way.
    I don't think the Tories win London until we've had 8 plus years of a Labour government and a recession.
  • Omnium said:

New lockdown tip.

Nah. I'm slow. I appreciate they're probably old favourites for most!

I tend to spend too much time rewatching action films like Back to the Future, Indiana Jones and the Bond films, and am otherwise generally an 80s nerd.

I don't know why but Crocodile Dundee is always on over a bank holiday weekend, and I always get sucked into watching it even though I've seen it countless times.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,816

I'd love to know what "the right circumstances are" in a region which went stronger for Labour in 2019 than the rest of the country and while the Conservatives were winning an 80-seat majority made no net headway in London.
  • New lockdown tip.

If the boxset contains Under Siege then you are in for an absolute treat in one scene.
    Which film do you think is the one no longer in cellophane?
    ydoethur said:

No, the best pot-stirring intervention would be to call a Public Inquiry into the affair, or possibly even table a Bill to establish a Royal Commission to pick over the entire operation of devolution in Scotland. Years of fun for all the family.
  • stodge said:

I'd love to know what "the right circumstances are" in a region which went stronger for Labour in 2019 than the rest of the country and while the Conservatives were winning an 80-seat majority made no net headway in London.
    See my most at 8.42pm.

I reckon we're at least a decade away from the Tories coming close to winning London.
  • ydoethur said:

I don't think the parliament is the major issue, more the seemingly utterly corrupt Crown Office. The Lord Advocate and all senior CO staff need to be suspended and investigated.
    DougSeal said:

Measles may not be a stupid parallel.

But in case she hasn’t noticed, it’s not been eliminated.
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

It would be a catastrophic error. The USP of the Scottish Parliament is, at the mo, that it is not dysfunctional. If it becomes dysfunctional then that can only benefit Unionism, something that (despite evidence to the contrary) I think HMG still supports.
    I’m intrigued. If this isn’t dysfunctional, what *would* you classify as dysfunctional?

Omnium said:

New lockdown tip.

Nah. I'm slow. I appreciate they're probably old favourites for most!

I tend to spend too much time rewatching action films like Back to the Future, Indiana Jones and the Bond films, and am otherwise generally an 80s nerd.

I don't know why but Crocodile Dundee is always on over a bank holiday weekend, and I always get sucked into watching it even though I've seen it countless times.
    Crocodile Dundee is an excellent film, but it's a romance.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,557
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

I’m intrigued. If this isn’t dysfunctional, what *would* you classify as dysfunctional?
    Westminster.
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I posted to show that I think that some of what passes for “Zero Covid” is, in fact, nothing of the sort.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 11,348

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

I may be wrong, but ISTR at the ladt election the only minority which favoured Lab over Con was the Islamic vote.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Westminster.
    It's not dysfunctional at present, it's just run by Boris, which is not quite the same thing as the parliament itself being inherently dysfunctional.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,914
    Omnium said:

Bitcoin won't go to zero, because it has utility.

It is a pseudononymous on-line mechanism for effecting transactions. That is genuinely life-changing for people who live in countries with currency controls or who wish to buy illicit substances.

Now, what's the value of that? I could argue for $20-30bn (depending on volumes), maybe $50bn at a pinch.

But $1trillion?

Nope.
    Re previous posts. "Lawrence of Arabia" is easily my favourite film. The best film ever made, and what cinemas are for.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,816

I don't think the Tories win London until we've had 8 plus years of a Labour government and a recession.

Well, 2032 might work - Labour wins in 2024 and 2029. Sadiq serves his two terms as does his successor and in 2032 Labour have to find a new candidate.

Mayor Lopez perhaps....

• CookieCookie Posts: 11,348

New lockdown tip.

I remember seeing Dead Poet's Society as a teenage boy at the cinema. I thought it was terrible. I didn't understand: Robin Williams was in it, but he hadn't brought any jokes with him. And I didn't understand why they were all so enthused by poetry. And then someone tried to, or did kill himself, for some reason to do with either poetry or his favourite teacher being replaced.
    It's possible I wasn't the target market for the film.
  • PhilPhil Posts: 1,926
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

It is a pseudononymous on-line mechanism for effecting transactions. That is genuinely life-changing for people who live in countries with currency controls or who wish to buy illicit substances.

Now, what's the value of that? I could argue for $20-30bn (depending on volumes), maybe $50bn at a pinch.

But $1trillion?

Nope.
    Also, note that the utility gained from transacting in BTC doesn’t accrue to the holder. You could transact $billions in drug trades / shipping cash out of repressive regimes / into North Korea regardless of the actual value of a bitcoin. The Bitcoin price could be $100 or $100000 - so long as the market is liquid enough to enable your transaction to occur it doesn’t matter what the price is - you’re just using it as a medium of exchange after all.
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

But $1trillion?

Nope.
    rcs - this is a good argument.

So zero+.

By your own reasoning the level actually doesn't matter.
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,765

ydoethur said:

No, the best pot-stirring intervention would be to call a Public Inquiry into the affair, or possibly even table a Bill to establish a Royal Commission to pick over the entire operation of devolution in Scotland. Years of fun for all the family.
    Nah, wait until Salmond defies the committee and COPFS, gets convicted of contempt and Boris arranges a royal pardon for him....
    rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

But $1trillion?

Nope.
    The world's drug cartels have found US dollars so difficult to use and launder, after all.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,478

New lockdown tip.

I agree. I simply haven't the time or the desire to get through series box sets, but a film every night or a football match goes down very nicely.
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

I phrased that badly. I should have said “Hitherto, the USP of the Scottish Parliament is that it is not dysfunctional, and despite recent evidence to the contrary, that remains so in the eyes of most voters...”
    Phil said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

But $1trillion?

Nope.
    Also, note that the utility gained from transacting in BTC doesn’t accrue to the holder. You could transact $billions in drug trades / shipping cash out of repressive regimes / into North Korea regardless of the actual value of a bitcoin. The Bitcoin price could be $100 or $100000 - so long as the market is liquid enough to enable your transaction to occur it doesn’t matter what the price is - you’re just using it as a medium of exchange after all.
    Billions of dollars of drug money don't flow through the world's banks in fiat currency? Rich people don;t stash trillions of fiat in tax havens?

Cookie said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

I may be wrong, but ISTR at the ladt election the only minority which favoured Lab over Con was the Islamic vote.
    On the 2019 election:

As in previous years, Labour had a strong lead among BME voters, although its vote share fell roughly the same amount among both white and BME groups. Among BME voters, Labour led the Conservatives by 64% to 20%, while among white voters the Conservatives led by 48% to 29%. However, Labour’s vote share fell a similar amount since 2017 among both groups, by 9 points and 10 points respectively.

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2019-election

IIRC previous research has indicated that Labour polls especially strongly amongst black and Muslim voters; the Conservatives do somewhat better amongst other BAME groups, but only lead with Jewish voters.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 595

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

It does seem at times as if the Tories are the Hindu party and Labour the choice of Muslims.
    Omnium said:

Re previous posts. "Lawrence of Arabia" is easily my favourite film. The best film ever made, and what cinemas are for.

I think Apocalypse Now is my favourite. Every time that I watch it, I see something new.
  • stodge said:

See my most at 8.42pm.

I reckon we're at least a decade away from the Tories coming close to winning London.
    2008 was a bit of a perfect storm; Labour looking tatty round the edges locally and nationally, and a standout Conservative candidate. Even then, BoJo's win was only 53:47; solid, but not overwhelming.

Since then, Mr and Mrs Suburban Conservative have continued to move out to the Home Counties, and the big party divide has switched more to social values and age, which isn't good for London Conservatives. If you want a socially conservative "somewhere" government, would you want to live in London anyway? Terrible place.

Oh, and some of the areas of Conservative strength in the GLA area don't even want to be in London anyway.

Never say never, but would even aligned stars be enough to get a Conservative Mayor? And for as long as that is the case, why would anyone electable put themselves up to waste a couple of years before almost certain defeat? Maybe Steve Norris should be invited back.
  • Omnium said:

The trick, Omnium, is not minding that it hurts.
    dodrade said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

It does seem at times as if the Tories are the Hindu party and Labour the choice of Muslims.
    Indian history might suggest the other way around.

However I'm certain that all of the three mainstream parties have no religious view and are equally welcoming of all faiths.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,925
    Omnium said:

Seconded.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,909
    edited February 2021

New lockdown tip.

I wonder if we are thinking of the same scene.... :)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,093
    Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

Ruth Davidson
    dodrade said:

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

I think it more social class than religion, correct for that and ethnicity makes less difference, at least relating to pre Brexit voting habits.

Omnium said:

The trick, Omnium, is not minding that it hurts.
    I just love it.
  • Anyone else watching the Charles Kennedy programme on iplayer? (iplayer > channels > alba)
  • stodge said:

Midterm elections with a stale and tired Labour government that have been in power about a decade.

So maybe in 20-30 years time.
  • New lockdown tip.

Which film do you think is the one no longer in cellophane?
    Under Siege is the greatest Steven Seagal film ever made!
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,693

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

People, perhaps even a majority of people (And therefore voters) rarely vote the way they 'should'. I liked the mechanic in Victoria 2, called Consciousness, about how aware people are of their situation.

My wife. Let's be honest, she's a rip roaring Tory. Dyed in the wool Blue. She reads the Conservative manifesto, agrees with every single line.
    She dutifully goes to Bootle polling station every May and dutifully marks X against Labour.
    I ask her why. She says she couldn't do anything else. Her mum would never forgive her.
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I wonder, would a politician advocating a zero COVID policy be brave enough to ban children from going to school if they don't get their shots?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,093
    Foxy said:

Omnium said:

I think Apocalypse Now is my favourite. Every time that I watch it, I see something new.
    How many versions? Have you seen the Redux? Which gets pretty weird....
  • New lockdown tip.

I wonder if we are thinking of the same scene.... :)
    Full broadside views of USS Missouri? :lol:
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191

New lockdown tip.

For Dances it is well worth getting hold of the directors cut, which is an hour longer.

Omnium said:

Andy_JS said:

He's that crap.

JohnO.

People, perhaps even a majority of people (And therefore voters) rarely vote the way they 'should'. I liked the mechanic in Victoria 2, called Consciousness, about how aware people are of their situation.

My wife. Let's be honest, she's a rip roaring Tory. Dyed in the wool Blue. She reads the Conservative manifesto, agrees with every single line.
    She dutifully goes to Bootle polling station every May and dutifully marks X against Labour.
    I ask her why. She says she couldn't do anything else. Her mum would never forgive her.
    My grandfather was the same. Every political statement he made was strongly in favour of redistribution and the welfare state. He liked Trade Unions and hated snobbery. He once even gave me a copy of "the Thoughts of Chairman Mao" as teenager, commenting "There is a lot of truth in there". He was very fond of the miners that he worked with, but always voted Conservative. It was what middle class people did in Wigan in those days.
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

I wonder, would a politician advocating a zero COVID policy be brave enough to ban children from going to school if they don't get their shots?
    People underestimate the flu. It can be a fecking nasty thing to get and novel strains of it can be far deadlier than our current viral adversary as 1918-20 showed. Measles is very nasty too but is controlled by an incredibly effective vaccine. Control through vaccine is Johnson’s policy. So what’s the difference here?
  • Cookie said:

New lockdown tip.

I remember seeing Dead Poet's Society as a teenage boy at the cinema. I thought it was terrible. I didn't understand: Robin Williams was in it, but he hadn't brought any jokes with him. And I didn't understand why they were all so enthused by poetry. And then someone tried to, or did kill himself, for some reason to do with either poetry or his favourite teacher being replaced.
    It's possible I wasn't the target market for the film.
    As a parent I took away an important lesson from it: never to force my kids to do what I think is right for them, and to listen to them.

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

How many versions? Have you seen the Redux? Which gets pretty weird....
    I would choose the Directors cut as my favourite version.

I can rewatch any of Verhoevan's films multiple times too, even Showgirls...
  • IanB2 said:

New lockdown tip.

For Dances it is well worth getting hold of the directors cut, which is an hour longer.
    Four hours?

Christ.
This discussion has been closed.