Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

In the London Mayoralty betting the Brian Rose collapse continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    Leon said:

As I see it's film night on PB.com, here goes:

Overall: Shawshank Redemption
    Animated: Shrek
    Space: Apollo 13
    Romcom: Four Weddings (obvs)
    Murder mystery: Gosford Park
    Sports: Chariots of Fire
    War: Dunkirk
    Musical: Yesterday
    Costume drama: Pride & Prejudice (2005 version)
    ...and Comedy: Shirley you don't need to ask?

Some interesting calls there

I agree the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice is an overlooked masterpiece. For a start it had some of the finest movie music ever written. It's like Chopin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4upyq5QztM

Watch from 0:00 until you get bored
    At 5 seconds, did I fail?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,415
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

If we're doing movies, I watched I Care A Lot on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D40uHmTSPew&ab_channel=Netflix

It's a movie completely devoid of sympathetic characters. Literally everyone in it is - to a greater or lesser extent - a complete shit for whom death would be too good.

That being said, the performances are excellent. Watch it if you don't mind being disturbed.

I don't mind characters who are shits, so long as they are still interesting to follow a story through, which people sometimes forget when trying to be 'serious' by making everyone a shit.
    I LOVE movies where everyone is a shit. Because: most people are shits. Most people, are, by definition, very very selfish, with the odd dash of heroic altruism, every so often.

As long as they are funny or characterful, bring it on.

Another candidate for Best Movie: Predator. I believe it had one of the shortest scripts in the history of Hollywood...
    Duel ?

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,338
    Quick question which I am genuinely struggling to work out from the briefing:

Assuming the new roadmap holds when am I likely to be able to eat inside in a restaurant and book a weekend away in a hotel?

(40th wedding anniversary approaching)
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,426

Two of Mrs Flatlander's favourites:
    Fight Club
    Taxi Driver

Should I be worried?

First rule of Mrs Flatlanders movie choices? Don't talk about.....
    Oops.

I don't have many to add to the collection here, but for a bit of North of the Border cheesiness, Local Hero was an old favourite, and Highlander is so bad it is almost good. Both classic soundtracks, of course.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,899
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:
    The anniversary release I attended definitely had some people shifting a bit more at that scene than I bet they did at the time (granted, I wasn't even a sperm back then). But I think it holds up
    I'm sorry, but in the era of "chest feeding" that is surely the most clairvoyant piece of comedy ever made. They predicted all this shit FORTY-TWO YEARS AGO: it was made in 1979.

Remarkable.

Nothing compares. And it is still exceedingly funny
  • Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited February 2021

It was not exactly a vintage year for films last year (and having checked it actually came out in 2019) but Knives Out was a recent film that might make it into my personal favourite list. It is certainly a film you want to see at least twice.

Agreed. It wasn’t remotely what I expected and I loved it.

Also, in a similar (but not that similar) vein Grand Budapest Hotel. I like it when a Director just does their thing, and the cast play along.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

OK, comedy

This is a tricky one, as comedy ages SO badly. Not many comedies can elicit a laugh 20 0r 30 years later. Or even 10

I would go for either of the two Monty Python masterpieces, Holy Grail and/or Life of Brian. Both of them are, stilll, constantly referenced in popular culture, in Anglophone countries, from the Knight who loses all his limbs and asks for a draw, to What Have The Romans Done For Us

Or Airplane. But I wonder if Airplane would stand up to a viewing now?

The Producers? Early Woody Allen?

Life of Brian holds up better than Holy Grail which holds up better than anything else in the Python universe.

Yes, if you actually watch the Python TV series, there are many dragging minutes of totally unfunny, laughless cringe. But then suddenly they hit you with a genius sketch - Shortened Proust = then its back to cringe or yawns.

Very variable. Holy Grail is similar, but better, the good bits are ace, the bad bits are less frequent, but they exist. Life of Brian is their Ulysses, nearly perfect from beginning to end, and endlessly clever and inventive.

Even now the humour bites.

Judean Popular Front? Where is he?

Where you gonna grow the baby? In a box?

Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life: with a whistle, on the crucifix

Romans, Did For Us?

We're all different, we're all individuals! (Voice aside): I'm not

I am happy to nominate it as the best comedy ever, and one of the very very few that remains amusing AND relevant decades after it was made
    "How shall we fuck off, oh Lord?"

and

"Blessed are the cheese-makers?"
    Also: the stoning scene. "He said Jehovah". "You just said it". Cue more stoning.

A prescient prediction of the desolate lunacies of Islamism

Looking back, it was pure genius, in multiple ways
    It is my favourite. But, you you have to allow for “strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government” in the Holy Grail. Also, Brave Sir Robin.
    Holy Hand-grenade of Antioch?

What's your favourite colour?

The Knights who say Ni.

How do you KNOW she's a witch?

"What - the curtains?"
    If Sliding Doors taught us one thing, it's that women love men endlessly quoting Monty Python.

God, Sliding Doors was shit.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    rcs1000 said:

The Czech Republic is clearly the epicentre of the third wave on the continent.

The Commission has decided now is a good time to question border closures...
    https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1364336259087429637

They are genuinely mad. Do they actually want the EU to fall apart?
    Maybe the EU is playing like a poker player in a tournament who's now on tilt, and determined to throw it all away and walk away from the table.
    When I worked for IG index I had to play in a poker tournament they sponsors after work one evening. When we got there they told us we couldn’t keep any money we won as we were employees. I don’t even like poker, and I had two tickets to see Prince at Koko in Camden. So I went on tilt every hand... and got through to the semi finals... hot footed it tonCamden and got to see the last half an hour of the gig. Pretty cool to see him in such a small venue, shame I missed most of it
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,135

"Presumably, Steiner will bring it all under control..?"
    Narrator's comment - Steiner didn't.
  • Quick question which I am genuinely struggling to work out from the briefing:

Assuming the new roadmap holds when am I likely to be able to eat inside in a restaurant and book a weekend away in a hotel?

To be safe? We read through it and concluded the answer is August.
  • It was not exactly a vintage year for films last year (and having checked it actually came out in 2019) but Knives Out was a recent film that might make it into my personal favourite list. It is certainly a film you want to see at least twice.

Also, in a similar (but not that similar) vein Grand Budapest Hotel. I like it when a Director just does their thing, and the cast play along.
    Oh I just love Grand Budapest Hotel. Wes Anderson is one of the few directors whose films I will watch just because of his name. I am rarely, if ever disappointed. But GBH was just brilliant.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    edited February 2021

Not sure about that. The Spanish (Franco era) air force at the time still had lots of Junkers and Heinkels, as well as Me109s.

The BoB film used Spanish Buchons and 111s, ironically with Merlin engines. The Junker 52s that appear would never have been actually used in the BoB. No Stukas of course which was something of a glaring omission.

On checking Wiki, the film only used 12 Spitfires & 3 Hurricanes, I’m certain there are more Spitfires at least available now, though probably cost a fortune to hire and insure,
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

I agree the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice is an overlooked masterpiece. For a start it had some of the finest movie music ever written. It's like Chopin

Keira's finest performance imo (not that clip especially but her refusal of Darcy's proposal and her dismissal of Lady Catherine were both brilliant).
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,468
    What sort of world news service leads it's coverage that some American golfer has had a car crash?

Stupid and woeful BBC.
  • Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Re previous posts. "Lawrence of Arabia" is easily my favourite film. The best film ever made, and what cinemas are for.

I think Apocalypse Now is my favourite. Every time that I watch it, I see something new.
    Well there are several different versions of it....

One I recently rewatched is Brazil. Still great.
    Brazil is seriously underrated; a film which cast Robert D Nero at the height of his powers as a heating engineer and Michael Palin as a torturer.
    Both their best roles, I think.
    De Niro in particular, as there’s just too much of him when he plays the lead.

The cast, with great actors scattered around in cameo roles, is simply amazing.
    The cast includes Jonathan Pryce, Ian Holm, Bob Hoskins, Ian Richardson, Peter Vaughn, Jim Broadbent, Nigel Planer, and Gorden Kaye as well as the two above.
  • Foxy said:

Leon said:

OK, comedy

This is a tricky one, as comedy ages SO badly. Not many comedies can elicit a laugh 20 0r 30 years later. Or even 10

I would go for either of the two Monty Python masterpieces, Holy Grail and/or Life of Brian. Both of them are, stilll, constantly referenced in popular culture, in Anglophone countries, from the Knight who loses all his limbs and asks for a draw, to What Have The Romans Done For Us

Airplane still stands up because so much of the humour is visual.
    Visual humour tends to age better.
    The other thing Airplane has going for it is that the gags follow each other so quickly and relentlessly- it doesn't matter if one of them isn't funny now, or wasn't that funny in the first place, there'll be another along in half a minute. The first Austin Powers managed to pull off a similar trick.

Comedy from previous generations seems to have been much slower- shows like The Two Ronnies had massive longeurs, and Python and the Goodies could take ages to get from one laugh to the next.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,618
    edited February 2021

It was not exactly a vintage year for films last year (and having checked it actually came out in 2019) but Knives Out was a recent film that might make it into my personal favourite list. It is certainly a film you want to see at least twice.

I thought Les Miserables (2019) was very good.

Few films manage to bring modern technology into the plot as well as Parasite did, but this was one.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Re previous posts. "Lawrence of Arabia" is easily my favourite film. The best film ever made, and what cinemas are for.

I think Apocalypse Now is my favourite. Every time that I watch it, I see something new.

Brazil is seriously underrated; a film which cast Robert D Nero at the height of his powers as a heating engineer and Michael Palin as a torturer.

No, Raging Bull for De Niro, surely, with a possible silver medal for Goodfellas

Three quirky films which merit a mention

The original (of course) Wicker Man: best creepy weirdo "folklore horror"?

Elephant Man with John Hurt: maybe the single best performance by any actor, EVAH

La-La Land: best movie-with-a-bittersweet-ending

• TimTTimT Posts: 6,341

Not sure about that. The Spanish (Franco era) air force at the time still had lots of Junkers and Heinkels, as well as Me109s.

The BoB film used Spanish Buchons and 111s, ironically with Merlin engines. The Junker 52s that appear would never have been actually used in the BoB. No Stukas of course which was something of a glaring omission.

On checking Wiki, the film only used 12 Spitfires & 3 Hurricanes, I’m certain there are more Spitfires at least available now, though probably cost a fortune to hire and insure,
    I believe they used a special kaleidoscope lens to give the impression of waves of aircraft when there were only 3 or so.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,284

The date quoted for that is 17 May

I know, it’s the earliest date but August? Really??
  • Quick question which I am genuinely struggling to work out from the briefing:

After May 17th
  • Boris on the physics of lightbulbs and why he entered politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enoW4R4omJY

Leon said:

Keira's finest performance imo (not that clip especially but her refusal of Darcy's proposal and her dismissal of Lady Catherine were both brilliant).
    Agreed. Donald Sutherland is also superb. A scintillating retelling of an often-retold story

Tho, to be fair, Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility is also excellent, and she adapted a much inferior novel
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    rcs1000 said:

Maybe the EU is playing like a poker player in a tournament who's now on tilt, and determined to throw it all away and walk away from the table.
    Some mighty chips they are playing with. Elderly Europeans.....
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

No, Raging Bull for De Niro, surely, with a possible silver medal for Goodfellas

Elephant Man with John Hurt: maybe the single best performance by any actor, EVAH

Sorry, beg to differ: La-La Land was utter shite really. Compare it with any movie with real dancers e.g. Singing' in the Rain or Top Hat.
  • Oh for perhaps the most beautiful film ever shot I would suggest 'The Duellists.' Every scene is like a classic painting.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Agreed. Donald Sutherland is also superb. A scintillating retelling of an often-retold story

Tho, to be fair, Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility is also excellent, and she adapted a much inferior novel
    Bloody hell - I cannot disagree with one word of that. Spot on, on all points!
    edited February 2021

Your mileage may vary, but for us (to pick a time for a special occasion) we wanted “after all the restrictions are gone and you can actually talk to other people you meet in the bar like the old days” conditions, which I took to be the question behind the question. E.g. A good month and a bit clear of the end of the process.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    Omnium said:

What sort of world news service leads it's coverage that some American golfer has had a car crash?

Stupid and woeful BBC.

It's a massive story. Anything else would have been a disgrace.
  • isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

This is pretty astonishing.

"Not a single case of flu detected by Public Health England this year as Covid restrictions suppress virus
    Experts say decline in infections could justify continued use of hand sanitiser and masks following coronavirus pandemic"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/flu-cases-covid-england-phe-latest-b1805124.html

Our ECMO team are nostalgic for a good flu season. They could cure that...
    I can’t believe there is much more to it than everyone who died and had flu also had Covid
    What they do to the lungs are quite different. They are two completely different clinical pictures.
    I just can’t believe there wasn’t a single case of flu this year
    A contagious disease for which vaccination is widely available (even more so in 2020 due to fears over pressures on health services from COVID), with lockdown measures in place? I can well believe it.

Out of interest, how many colds have most people had in the past 12 months compared with a normal 12 months?

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

De Niro really does have an incredible CV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_De_Niro_filmography
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207

Well - we know they don't give a fuck about your average citizen
    Omnium said:

Stupid and woeful BBC.

Not just the BBC. Media generally.

It is wall to wall coverage in the US by all accounts.

There's not even much to say about it.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    11 top movies:

Dances with Wolves
    Dr Strangelove
    The Good, the bad, the ugly
    Life of Brian
    The Dark knight
    Some like it hot
    Blade Runner
    Shawshank Redemption
    The Breakfast club
    Apocalypse Now

Your mileage may vary, but for us (to pick a time for a special occasion) we wanted “after all the restrictions are gone and you can actually talk to other people you meet in the bar like the old days” conditions, which I took to be the question behind the question. E.g. A good month and a bit clear of the end of the process.
    Well that’s only true if you don’t believe the government, which I can understand.

Hotels and restaurants open indoors of 17 May, is the plan.

All restrictions in their entirely are supposed to be removed on 21 June, is the plan.

If that’s not going to happen, then why not suggest Christmas, or 2023.

I think saying August is just complete guesswork based on nothing much. But you might of course be proven right.

Omnium said:

Stupid and woeful BBC.

Not just the BBC. Media generally.

It is wall to wall coverage in the US by all accounts.

There's not even much to say about it.
    Stupid. Just sent a complaint. Won't do a jot of good though.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Emma Thompson's Sense and Sensibility is also Ang Lee's.
    My favourite director and Taiwanese too. Such a range of movie genres.
    I heartily recommend his "Father Knows Best" trilogy for a glimpse into a Taiwan lurching into modernity and trying to balance it with tradition.
    Plus the food in Eat, Drink, Man, Woman!!
    Also Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is top, top kick ass wuxia. Plus Hulk, Brokeback Mountain, etc.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    edited February 2021
    Omnium said:

Stupid and woeful BBC.

I suspect most readers outside Scotland will be more interested in Tiger Wood's car crash than the easing of Scottish lockdown restrictions, which now leads the BBC news, alongside the latest Sturgeon and Salmond clash

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

For a very long period of my life I'd also have said the same. I went to see it when I was perhaps 15, and I'd had to drag my Dad along because it was AA certificate. I rather love the film because we saw it together - the only film that I ever saw just the two of us. We both emerged a little shocked and speechless.

Anyway in recent years I've come to view David Lean's masterpiece as edging it.

ZULU is peerless: so many superb scenes

Asking what is the best movie is like asking "what is the best country" or "what is the best weather" or "what is the best form of cooking eggs". You have to choose a genre

As a war movie, Zulu beats Apocalypse Now, shorter, sharper, more wrenching and yet exhilarating

Rom coms? Notting Hill? Richard Curtis is much maligned these days, but that was excellently done

Boxing? Raging Bull. Maybe indeed the best movie about masculinity in general

Gangsters: Goodfellas, for sure.

Damn that's two Scorseses in one list. He is impressive

The best RomCom is There's Something About Mary, it is probably the best film in a whole host of other categories as well.

The Godfather pts I & II rival Goodfellas as best gangster, wouldn't you say? All three are great (Gf I & II + Goodfellas)

Raging Bull is probably the only Boxing film I have seen other than Champ... Champ affected me quite deeply though, I bawled my eyes out. Oh and a couple of the Rocky's I suppose. Never really got into them

The best Gambling film is The Sting

The Lives of Others is great @Casino_Royale, so is Play Misty For Me, and two of my all time faves, Cool Hand Luke, and Hombre
    Once Upon a Time in America comes close, but doesn't quite beat, Godfather pts I & II, especially not together.

However Once Upon a Time in the West is definitely the best Western of all time.
    True, but the final gunfight in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of the best scenes in cinema, showing just how to put score and cinematography together.
    Ennio Morricone is surely the greatest film composer of all time ?
    edited February 2021

Oh I just love Grand Budapest Hotel. Wes Anderson is one of the few directors whose films I will watch just because of his name. I am rarely, if ever disappointed. But GBH was just brilliant.
    GBH surely has to be very high on the list of films to see if you haven't yet.

I also clocked a five-frame cameo in the shoot-out! To my wife's scepticism....but he's there.

Nobody has mentioned Manhattan. Is Woody beyond the pale now?

And has anybody seen House of Games? David Mamet's directorial debut. A neo-noir heist thriller.

After May 17th
    OK thanks - that's a week too late for our anneversary, sadly. Looks like we'll have to hope to get lucky on the Northcote at Home lottery, then maybe book to go away the week after.

I wonder when Le Manoir will re-open?
    Omnium said:

Stupid and woeful BBC.

Woods is one of the greatest sportsmen who have ever lived.

It’s like calling Al Pacino “some American actor”.

After May 17th
    OK thanks - that's a week too late for our anneversary, sadly. Looks like we'll have to hope to get lucky on the Northcote at Home lottery, then maybe book to go away the week after.

I wonder when Le Manoir will re-open?
    Hopefully 17 May.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,618
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

This is pretty astonishing.

"Not a single case of flu detected by Public Health England this year as Covid restrictions suppress virus
    Experts say decline in infections could justify continued use of hand sanitiser and masks following coronavirus pandemic"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/flu-cases-covid-england-phe-latest-b1805124.html

Our ECMO team are nostalgic for a good flu season. They could cure that...
    I can’t believe there is much more to it than everyone who died and had flu also had Covid
    What they do to the lungs are quite different. They are two completely different clinical pictures.
    I just can’t believe there wasn’t a single case of flu this year
    There have been, but not many. The public health system does regular virology reports on what is about.

Norovirus (causing d and v) has pretty much disappeared this year too.
    edited February 2021

I also clocked a five-frame cameo in the shoot-out! To my wife's scepticism....but he's there.

And has anybody seen House of Games? David Mamet's directorial debut. A neo-noir heist thriller.
    Another vote for Grand Budapest Hotel from me.

Re Woody Allen: Midnight in Paris is one I'd watch again.
    edited February 2021

Well that’s only true if you don’t believe the government, which I can understand.

Hotels and restaurants open indoors of 17 May, is the plan.

All restrictions in their entirely are supposed to be removed on 21 June, is the plan.

If that’s not going to happen, then why not suggest Christmas, or 2023.

I think saying August is just complete guesswork based on nothing much. But you might of course be proven right.
    Yeah that’s fair, I’m a cynic (and I actually support the Gvt on its line) but my view is that a pub/restaurant/theatre/etc isn’t that really until we lose the “1m+ rule” and my reading is it will take a while to get there. Absolutely fair to flag me as a cynic though - and important to flag I never really went back to pubs etc last summer because I didn’t like what was on offer and didn’t see the point (but tried to keep my locals afloat with takeaway cash).
  • Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

For a very long period of my life I'd also have said the same. I went to see it when I was perhaps 15, and I'd had to drag my Dad along because it was AA certificate. I rather love the film because we saw it together - the only film that I ever saw just the two of us. We both emerged a little shocked and speechless.

Asking what is the best movie is like asking "what is the best country" or "what is the best weather" or "what is the best form of cooking eggs". You have to choose a genre

As a war movie, Zulu beats Apocalypse Now, shorter, sharper, more wrenching and yet exhilarating

Rom coms? Notting Hill? Richard Curtis is much maligned these days, but that was excellently done

The best RomCom is There's Something About Mary, it is probably the best film in a whole host of other categories as well.

The Godfather pts I & II rival Goodfellas as best gangster, wouldn't you say? All three are great (Gf I & II + Goodfellas)

Raging Bull is probably the only Boxing film I have seen other than Champ... Champ affected me quite deeply though, I bawled my eyes out. Oh and a couple of the Rocky's I suppose. Never really got into them

The Lives of Others is great @Casino_Royale, so is Play Misty For Me, and two of my all time faves, Cool Hand Luke, and Hombre
    Once Upon a Time in America comes close, but doesn't quite beat, Godfather pts I & II, especially not together.

However Once Upon a Time in the West is definitely the best Western of all time.
    True, but the final gunfight in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is one of the best scenes in cinema, showing just how to put score and cinematography together.
    I want to agree, but I think Williams may edge it, if only for the number of main titles that are instantly recognisable. At his best Morricone's use of music is much more effective though, at least when he had a director that knew how to use him.

Reading that back I realise I sound like I know what I'm talking about! Teachers can bluff their way though anything...
    Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Not much better than the Ecstasy of Gold for fitting a film tbh. John Williams perhaps has the most solid all round resume though.

Omnium said:

Stupid and woeful BBC.

I'd feel the same way.

The activities of actors and sportsmen aren't that important. God forgive that Claire Balding stubs her toe.
  • It was not exactly a vintage year for films last year (and having checked it actually came out in 2019) but Knives Out was a recent film that might make it into my personal favourite list. It is certainly a film you want to see at least twice.

Bullets over Broadway is probably my favourite Woody Allen film.
    edited February 2021

Omnium said:

Stupid and woeful BBC.

Instead of “some American actor who sounds like Hong Kong Phooey”?

https://youtu.be/-n91lSO0wJQ

Concur with the Shawshank Redemption. Best film I have ever seen.
    The 67th Academy Awards saw a real duel between two all-time classics for the Best Picture Oscar. Shawshank Redemption vs Pulp Fiction.

Which film walked off with the gong? Forrest Gump, FFS.

Thing is, Forrest Gump is also exceptionally good, just in a different way (the theme tune alone marks it out: it is world class). That was simply a brilliant year for movies. It happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7voy1vit6Y

I like Shawshank Redemption but I'd have given gold to Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump gets silver, in a tight contest
    Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

For originality and atmosphere, definitely.

I get really fed up with film scores these days - they just seem to be painting by numbers or completely overblown (yes, you, Hans Zimmer)
  • Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Not much better than the Ecstasy of Gold for fitting a film tbh. John Williams perhaps has the most solid all round resume though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132

Omnium said:

Stupid and woeful BBC.

Yep. Icon is overused but he is. This looks career ending but really hope he's ok
    edited February 2021
    Pulpstar said:

11 top movies:

Dances with Wolves
    Dr Strangelove
    Life of Brian
    The Dark knight
    Some like it hot
    Blade Runner
    Shawshank Redemption
    The Breakfast club
    Apocalypse Now

2001? I'm sorry, @Pulpstar I'm afraid I can't support that.

Oh for perhaps the most beautiful film ever shot I would suggest 'The Duellists.' Every scene is like a classic painting.

Yes. Apparently Ridley Scott had one scene of that movie shot, again and again, HUNDREDS of times, so he could get the right flash of sunlight off the burnished barrel of a pistol

It's not a brilliant movie but it shows the obsessive visual talent which came to make Blade Runner and Alien which are some of the best movies ever made
  • Leon said:

Oh for perhaps the most beautiful film ever shot I would suggest 'The Duellists.' Every scene is like a classic painting.

Yes. Apparently Ridley Scott had one scene of that movie shot, again and again, HUNDREDS of times, so he could get the right flash of sunlight off the burnished barrel of a pistol

It's not a brilliant movie but it shows the obsessive visual talent which came to make Blade Runner and Alien which are some of the best movies ever made
    Also has some of the most realistic sword fighting in cinema, or so I've been told.
  • Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Sorry, beg to differ: La-La Land was utter shite really. Compare it with any movie with real dancers e.g. Singing' in the Rain or Top Hat.
    Agreed LaLa Land was utter crap. Recent version of 'A Star is born' with Lady Gaga much better.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,892
    This has been a fun thread. Rather sorry to have missed most of it and only catching up now.

If I may add a leftfield choice for best film, can I propose 24 Hour Party People. One of the funniest films ever written, but also one that delivers the biggest body blow. (Drama can never really move you like comedy, in my opinion.)
    Also one of the best soundtracks to a film ever.
    I don't know how well it travels outside the North West of England though!
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

kyf_100 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

John Williams is definitely a brilliant arranger. Whether he wrote anything totally original is another matter. I know all composers borrow, but...

Listen to the Korngold (another great) soundtrack for Kings Row...
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Have to agree to disagree on that (and I’m likely in the minority).

Quirky ?
    Run Lola Run is very good. Decent soundtrack, too.
    The future for Pan Am was brighter in both Blade Runner and 2001 than it turned out in reality.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Any love for The Princess Bride? Easily my favourite sword fight in film history plus "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." I have seen that held up as a perfect introduction: a greeting, my name, my relationship with you, and what I want to get out of the meeting.

An excellent film all round. And Robyn Wright 😁
    edited February 2021
    Re vaccination rates: I am not sure if this modelling has already been covered here:

Summary_of_modelling_on_scenario_for_easing_restrictions.pdf

Includes the following assumption:

"10. Models assume a significant increase in vaccine rollout speed, to 4m per week in England from 22nd March."

Hopefully, that's based on some inside knowledge confidence.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 12,892
    Cookie said:

This has been a fun thread. Rather sorry to have missed most of it and only catching up now.

If I may add a leftfield choice for best film, can I propose 24 Hour Party People. One of the funniest films ever written, but also one that delivers the biggest body blow. (Drama can never really move you like comedy, in my opinion.)
    Also one of the best soundtracks to a film ever.
    I don't know how well it travels outside the North West of England though!

In fact, it's available for free on Amazon Prime. I'm going to watch it right now. Night all!
    Being John Malkovich has to be one of the strangest.
  • I really must go now as it is a school night, but I'm going to link to a good look at film scores: I don't agree with all of it but this guy has seen far more films than I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDYCS3SQm0
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

OK...

Oceans Eleven
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 3
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Casino Royale
    The Ladykillers
    Shawshank Redemption

There may be some other movies worth watching, but if so, I haven't seen them.

Try The Accountant, and R.E.D.
    Enjoyed R.E.D.

My wife says The Accountant is incredibly stressful.
    Dogma is always fun although very hard to find these days (Weinstein owns the masters personally so no one wants to show it)
    edited February 2021
    Leon said:

Let's not forget Hovis: the Movie. The everyday story of a northern baker's boy in a small Dorset town.
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

OK, comedy

Life of Brian holds up better than Holy Grail which holds up better than anything else in the Python universe.

Yes, if you actually watch the Python TV series, there are many dragging minutes of totally unfunny, laughless cringe. But then suddenly they hit you with a genius sketch - Shortened Proust = then its back to cringe or yawns.

Very variable. Holy Grail is similar, but better, the good bits are ace, the bad bits are less frequent, but they exist. Life of Brian is their Ulysses, nearly perfect from beginning to end, and endlessly clever and inventive.

Even now the humour bites.

Judean Popular Front? Where is he?

Where you gonna grow the baby? In a box?

Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life: with a whistle, on the crucifix

Romans, Did For Us?

We're all different, we're all individuals! (Voice aside): I'm not

I am happy to nominate it as the best comedy ever, and one of the very very few that remains amusing AND relevant decades after it was made
    You've missed the best line.
    "He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy."

A remarkably prescient critique of the Johnson administration to boot.
    It’s not the line per se - it’s the concept of the Messiah having a mother - and the Virgin Mary being a nag
    edited February 2021
    Have just finished watching C4's It's a Sin following multiple recommendations on PB (for which many thanks).

Deeply moving and very powerful. Keeley Hawes performance is incredible as are many others. Highly recommended for any who haven't yet seen it.
    Before Mike evicts us all can I put in a word for 'All the President's Men' - happily this has a political theme!

Betting wise - 'The Sting'

Other good and possibly site-theme friendly films - 'Last days of the Condor', 'La Reine Margot', 'The Madness of King George', 'The King's Speech', 'Frost Nixon'.

Nobody will like it but I also have an affection for an obscure Aussie film called 'Don's Party' that revolves around election night.
    edited February 2021
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

OK...

Oceans Eleven
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 3
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Casino Royale
    The Ladykillers
    Shawshank Redemption

Enjoyed R.E.D.

Dogma is always fun although very hard to find these days (Weinstein owns the masters personally so no one wants to show it)
    Is that right?! I have wondered. As ever, Rickman is awesome.

Are there films where I must wait until he dies like I did with Jackson until I could pay for his music? Sigh...

Edit - For clarity by “him” I obviously mean Weinstein.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140
    Animated: Chicken Run
    Space: Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan
    Romcom: Groundhog Day
    Murder mystery: Knives Out
    Sports:
    War: Dambusters
    Musical:
    Costume drama: Shawshank Redemption (does that count as constume?)
    Thriller (not horror): Die Hard
    Sci Fi:
    Comedy: Life of Brian / Ladykillers

edited February 2021
    dixiedean said:

Being John Malkovich has to be one of the strangest.

Up there with that daft thing where Scarlett Johansson wanders around Glasgow grooming blokes for alien use.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

rcs1000 said:

OK...

Oceans Eleven
    Die Hard
    Die Hard 3
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Casino Royale
    The Ladykillers
    Shawshank Redemption

Enjoyed R.E.D.

It is good, albeit I haven't seen it in a decade.
  • Have just finished watching C4's It's a Sin following multiple recommendations on PB (for which many thanks).

Deeply moving and very powerful. Keeley Hawes performance is incredible as are many others. Highly recommended for any who haven't yet seen it.

It is stunning. I wish it had had a wider audience.
    Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet and the Great Gatsby.
    Both flawed takes on great literature, but wonderfully acted, quirky, inventive, and surprising interpretations of famous tales.
    Beautifully shot.

Have just finished watching C4's It's a Sin following multiple recommendations on PB (for which many thanks).

Haven't had the spoons to finish it. Despite recommending it.
    Keeley Hawes is just a wonderful actress.
    edited February 2021
    If you can’t be bothered to read De Niro’s filmography
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,014

Andy_JS said:

It must be a bit dispiriting for Shaun Bailey to be behind Brian Rose in the betting stakes when he officially needs the not enormous figure of a 6.8% swing to win compared to the performance of the Conservative candidate last time.

He's that crap.

The Conservatives would have done better had they put up Baldrick.
    To be fair, what conservative principle could Bailey campaign on that hasn;'t been comprehensively junked in the past year?

Personal responsibility....oh
    Personal freedom......ah
    Small government.....hmmn.
    Fiscal responsibility....LOL
    Low taxation....ROFL
    on the side of the small businessman.....FFS
    Anti nanny state....Nope
    Light touch regulation....chortle
    Law and order....(shutting down picnics....)

Shovelling public money to your mates... DING! Never goes out of fashion
    Pulpstar said:

The future for Pan Am was brighter in both Blade Runner and 2001 than it turned out in reality.

"We have no Pan AM coffee. But we have plenty of TWA tea...."
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Best gratuitous nudity - Species
    Musical: The Band Wagon.
    Utterly absurd to the edge of surreal; a middle aged, but still genius Astaire; Cyd Charisse at her best; and fantastic art direction.
    Charles said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Omnium said:

Best gratuitous nudity - Species
    Nonsense - 'Barbarella'
    edited February 2021
    Omnium said:

Before Mike evicts us all can I put in a word for 'All the President's Men' - happily this has a political theme!

Betting wise - 'The Sting'

Other good and possibly site-theme friendly films - 'Last days of the Condor', 'La Reine Margot', 'The Madness of King George', 'The King's Speech', 'Frost Nixon'.

Nobody will like it but I also have an affection for an obscure Aussie film called 'Don's Party' that revolves around election night.

I do. Also features the 1969 Sydney Rugby League Grand Final.
    Souths v Balmain.
    AV plays a dramatic, plot changing role.
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,014
    Omnium said:

However I'm certain that all of the three mainstream parties have no religious view and are equally welcoming of all faiths.

That wasn't really the campaign that the despicable Goldsmith ran though, was it?
    Anyone had the Oxford jab?

How bad are the side effects - dealing with a wife who suffers from anxiety at best of times andwho is wobbling after seeing reports on facebook.

• Floater said:

How bad are the side effects - dealing with a wife who suffers from anxiety at best of times andwho is wobbling after seeing reports on facebook.

I had it two weeks ago. No noticeable side effects except possibly a slight headache on the second day after.
    Mango said:

Omnium said:

However I'm certain that all of the three mainstream parties have no religious view and are equally welcoming of all faiths.

That wasn't really the campaign that the despicable Goldsmith ran though, was it?
    I'm not sure as to what you're referring to.

Generally though religion doesn't get in to UK politics, and that's a good thing.

Floater said:

I had it two weeks ago. No noticeable side effects except possibly a slight headache on the second day after.
    Thank you!!
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Thank you!!
    Both my parents had AZN, both in 70's - no side effects whatever.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Best start to a film? Up

Best rom com/relationship comedy? When Harry Met Sally

Best noir? Chinatown

Best cheap sci-fi you've probably never heard of? Primer

Best Film to make Blokes Cry: Field of Dreams

Best Single Blubbing Moment in Cinema? "Daddy my Daddy", The Railway Children

Absolutely agree about The Railway Children. Never fail to cry at that scene.

My top classic films:-

Now Voyager
    Casablanca
    The Railway Children
    Voyage to Italy - a marvellous Rossellini film with Ingrid Bergman and George Sanders
    All about Eve
    Billy Liar
    Visconti's The Leopard - magnificent - and his last film "The Innocent".
    Some Like It Hot
    Brief Encounter
    The Third Man
    Sunset Boulevard
    Withnail and I

Also The Go-Between and Far from the Madding Crowd for Sunday afternoon viewing; the Go-Between is especially good for cold winter nights when you want to be reminded of what hot summers are like.

And for big blockbusters: Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago
    Epic: Spartacus

Lean's Great Expectations - esp the first scene.
    Hobson's Choice - for Charles Laughton's performance, above all, though all are good.
    Delicatessen is a delight.
    Out of Sight, O Brother Where art Thou and Ocean's Eleven are the best George Clooney films.
    French films: Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources / Romuald et Juliette / Le Bossu

Cinema Paradiso
    Three Brothers - a Francesco Rosi film, unobtainable on DVD unless you have one of those American Region 1 ones; also his Illustrious Corpses.
    Mephisto

Witness
    The Godfather 1 + 2.

Annie Hall and Manhattan
    Dr Strangelove
    Musicals: Cabaret / The Sound of Music / Rosi's Carmen / Losey's Don Giovanni

The Lives of Others
    Bicycle Thieves
    Best Hitchcock films: North by Northwest / Rebecca and Strangers on a Train

Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers (all of them, really)
    Toy Story

Floater said:

Floater said:

Thank you!!
    Both my parents had AZN, both in 70's - no side effects whatever.
    Thank you too - much appreciated
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266
    My mum had the Oxford jab on 30th January. Only side effects were an aching arm and tiredness for a couple of days, starting about 12 hours after the appointment.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266

Pulpstar said:

11 top movies:

Dances with Wolves
    Dr Strangelove
    Life of Brian
    The Dark knight
    Some like it hot
    Blade Runner
    Shawshank Redemption
    The Breakfast club
    Apocalypse Now

2001? I'm sorry, @Pulpstar I'm afraid I can't support that.
    I can support it. I like the slow, boring bits. Bit like test match cricket.
This discussion has been closed.