Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

2»

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    He is psycho; but like Joey Barton, a very good footballer. I would happily have him at citeh!

so.. Suarez just wanted to prove his loyalty to Liverpool by fending off any of that unwelcome spanish interest...

Shocking. He should get a 12 month global ban or a lifetime ban from FIFA competition. THREE TIMES?!?
    I expect that at his next press conference, Suarez will be wheeled out in a straight jacket, strapped to a dack barrow and wearing a hockey mask. The man clearly has serious issues.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

@FlightPath

"... posh boy Farage who went to a fancy private schoolposh boy Farage who went to a fancy private school..."

Didn't he go to Dulwich College? Same school as Alistair Campbell and I don't remember anyone moaning about it being a fancy public school when Campbell was bullying his way around Westminster.

This whole busyness of worrying about what school politicians' parents sent them to is really rather childish and pathetic.

Alastair Campbell did not go to Dulwich College.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,317
    Well, I must say I'm a touch disappointed by the hacking-trial verdicts. I was hoping for a not-guilty sweep across the board - the misery of Hacked Off, the Guardian and the various other anti-Rupert loons would have been delicious to behold. Having said that, Coulson is only a bauble anyway, and if Dave apologizes and kicks the 'Royal Commission' into the long grass at the same time, we can all forgive him and move on.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    GIN1138 said:

surbiton said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

Socrates said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

"Don't ask me. I couldn't give a monkey's about any of this rubbish.

If it was up to me Coulson would still be in Downing St and Hacked Off would be told to p*ss off."
    ......................................................................................

I do not want a government that I support knowingly employing criminals or condoning their activities and frankly neither should you.

It's very sad when so-called conservatives abandon moral principles to make a partisan point.
    There's nothing "partisan" about it. I just don't care about this and never have.

I did get a bit more concerned about the Milly Dowlerside of things, but even that turned out to be not as The Guardian has been spinning it...

At least I'm consistent.

God forbid anything unpleasant happens to you or those you care about and then hope those you rely on to rectify the situation don't share your "just don't care" attitude.

Yes you are "consistent". Pray that such consistency doesn't cost you dear.

Well the folks at Hacked Off have got what they wanted (partially) justice is being done and being seen to be done. Ten's of millions have been spent investigating this. A newspaper was closed down. Murdoch had his wings clipped, Rebekah got away, but Coulson will be spending time at Her Majesty's Pleasure any day.

What's the problem?

What's the problem?

So, why did your Prime Minister apologise ?
    Probably because he unknowingly employed someone who made assurances to him which turned out to be false and that person is now a convicted criminal and will be going to jail soon...

"Funny, then, that Andy Coulson remembers no such thing happening."

Did Cameron really ask those questions or did he just make them up ?

http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/coulson-verdict-blog-publish/28549#
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited June 2014
    MikeL Indeed, it will be Kinnock in a lightbulb 2, especially after Miliband went for Cameron over employing a 'criminal' in his words, a criminal who happened to work for News International at the time and had not been convicted of any offence at that point
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @HYUFD

In looking more prime ministerial? Since there had never been a female prime minister before, she would be hard to beat at "not looking the part"?
    Don't over rely on history in determining outcomes, check for differences then do your sums.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2014
    Using TSE's strategy, I have bets on Japan and Greece, so things are looking quite good at the moment. Greece were outsiders but are winning 1-0 so far.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Prescott also making clear the Blair/Brown links to Rebekah Brooks
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Nick Sutton ✔ @suttonnick

Wednesday's Guardian front page "Coulson: the criminal who had Cameron’s confidence" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/qjfykYmsUc

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Scott_P said:

@camillalong: Isn't spontaneous biting some kind of completely bonkers sexual compulsion? Love, Dr Long

@docbloomfield: @camillalong And to answer that we have to ask "Was the bite in self-defence?" If the answer's "no" than that could imply it was more sexual

Dr Long is clearly choose to act as wank bait by mentioning sexual compulsion in a tweet.

Like.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Using TSE's strategy, I have bets on Japan and Greece, so things are looking quite good at the moment. Greece were outsiders but are winning 1-0 so far.

That was the cue for Colombia to score a second against Japan...
  • Options

Tonights You Gov

LAB 341 CON 265 LD 18 Other 26 (ukpr)

Ed is crap is PM 10.5 MONTHS TO GO

If Labour slip below 35% with YouGov I imagine Ed will come under serious pressure from some sections of the party.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    HYUFD said:

Prescott also making clear the Blair/Brown links to Rebekah Brooks

Rebekah Brook who, it turns out, is completely innocent of all charges...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,872
    I've read Hannan's piece. Sikorski really is a disgusting person. He was granted asylum in the UK in 1981, but far from feeling any gratitude, seems to have nothing but resentment and dislike for the UK.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HYUFD said:

MikeL To be fair there was even a letter in the Guardian today by someone saying he could not listen to Ed M for very long regardless of how good his policies were and he did not look like a leader. The papers follow the polls, all consistently showing he does not look like a PM, the same was true with Kinnock, strong leaders can withstand what the papers throw at them

Well, I for one have no idea what a leader looks like. Throughout my various careers leadership has always been a big thing and I have met and served under and with superb leaders who looked like Walter from the Beano. I have also has the misfortune to serve under characters who really looked the part, lantern-jawed, dashing, handsome Jack Churchill meets the young Bill Slim sort of characters, who when the chips were down were bloody useless. There are a number of personality traits that are essential is a good leader but looks ain't one of them.

Whether Miliband can actually lead is another issue. He certainly appears to be having difficulty in getting people to follow him at the moment.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Cameron is quite lucky the hacking verdict was today - BBC1 10pm news delayed till after 11pm, BBC1 6pm news opposite England game - both will rate far, far lower than normal.

ITV ratings much lower than BBC and they won't show any significant compensating bounce.
  • Options
    Jim Murphy on a soap box tour of Scotland for NO on the anniversary of Bannockburn
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    JohnO said:

@FlightPath

"... posh boy Farage who went to a fancy private schoolposh boy Farage who went to a fancy private school..."

Didn't he go to Dulwich College? Same school as Alistair Campbell and I don't remember anyone moaning about it being a fancy public school when Campbell was bullying his way around Westminster.

This whole busyness of worrying about what school politicians' parents sent them to is really rather childish and pathetic.

Alastair Campbell did not go to Dulwich College.

Strange I have met several people who will swear that he did and that they were at school with him. Most odd.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Cameron is quite lucky the hacking verdict was today - BBC1 10pm news delayed till after 11pm, BBC1 6pm news opposite England game - both will rate far, far lower than normal.

ITV ratings much lower than BBC and they won't show any significant compensating bounce.

Coulson still has some verdicts pending of course.

But how many people seriously care enough about all of this for it to actually change their votes?

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,872
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Coulson still has some verdicts pending of course.

But how many people seriously care enough about all of this for it to actually change their votes?

Nobody cares.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2014
    Twitter
    Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 6m
    Wednesday's Sun front page - "Great day for red tops" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 10m
    Wednesday's Times front page - "Brooks not guilty" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 36m
    Wednesday's Telegraph front page - "£100m phone-hacking trial ends in Brooks walking free" #tomorrowspaperstoday

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 52m
    Wednesday's FT front page - "Murdoch’s victory had a price, but he will take it all the same" #tomorrowspaperstoday
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    After all the frenzy amongst Guardianistas, pbreds at close of business tonight, I'd say todays supposed 'black swan' event, one of the big hurdles pre-election we were told, has been rather a damp squid (T Pulis)
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    That seems to be going well. Footballer bites footballer covering the front page......
    or not?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 6m
    Wednesday's Sun front page - "Great day for red tops" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 10m
    Wednesday's Times front page - "Brooks not guilty" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 36m
    Wednesday's Telegraph front page - "£100m phone-hacking trial ends in Brooks walking free" #tomorrowspaperstoday

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 52m
    Wednesday's FT front page - "Murdoch’s victory had a price, but he will take it all the same" #tomorrowspaperstoday

You appear to be very happy that Cameron's ex Direcror of Communications is a criminal and a lying bastard !
  • Options
    Twitter
    Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 31s
    Wednesday's Daily Mail front page - "Humiliation of Cameron" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 20m
    Wednesday's Guardian front page "Coulson: the criminal who had Cameron’s confidence" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 27m
    Wednesday's Metro front page - "Coulson pays the price for phone hacking" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers

Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 7m
    Wednesday's Daily Mirror front page - "My nightmare living at house of horrors" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    I don't know which I find more revolting, Ed Miliband's statement today or the front page of the Sun.
  • Options
    Smarmeron The key point is in 1979 the Tories led on the economy (despite Callaghan being a far more effective leader of Labour than Foot or Kinnock), Labour now trail on the economy and in no election has a party been behind on both best PM and the economy and lost
  • Options
    Just been to The Guaridan website.

Why are they still trying to push the line that this was some huge corporate conspiracy going from Murdoch down?

Murdoch's link to NI, Rebekah Brooks has been found not guilty on all charges.If she didn't know about phone hacking how on earth can James and Rupert have been expected to know?

Guardian starting to flog a dead horse now it seems...
  • Options
    Gin1138 The point is they were also in bed with News International at the time
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

That seems to be going well. Footballer bites footballer covering the front page......
    or not?

Yup - got that wrong.

Putting my SL winnings on IVC to win whilst 1-0 down, and doubling those currently will make up for that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    HurstLlama Well Churchill, who came top of the poll, was not exactly a beauty either was he! Eden, who was better looking, came bottom. But Miliband is no Churchill
  • Options

He is psycho; but like Joey Barton, a very good footballer. I would happily have him at citeh!

so.. Suarez just wanted to prove his loyalty to Liverpool by fending off any of that unwelcome spanish interest...

Shocking. He should get a 12 month global ban or a lifetime ban from FIFA competition. THREE TIMES?!?
    I expect that at his next press conference, Suarez will be wheeled out in a straight jacket, strapped to a dack barrow and wearing a hockey mask. The man clearly has serious issues.

He is not a psycho. He only bites in the penalty box hoping for a retaliation. He would then go down like a sack of potatoes.

He is a scheming s.o.b.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    The tax-avoiding billionaires' press is in a bit of a bind though - if they seriously gun for miliband and he still wins, as is likely, their already diminished clout will be terminally compromised. I think they are going to be running a little scared, if they are sensible. So we can expect a real Charge of the Light Brigade, then.
  • Options
    According to Wikipedia there have been 26 polls since the Newark by-election. Labour's share has been 35% or lower in 10 of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    Twitter
    Nick Sutton @suttonnick · 12s
    Wednesday i front page - "Coulson guilty of phone hacking" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,352
    The really depressing thing is the second trial was due to start in 2 weeks with the same judge. Apparently he wants a holiday first but are we really going to spend another £100m on another trial of relatively trivial charges given the almost total failure of this one? Surely a rethink is called for.

What hacks me off is that the much more serious charges of corrupt payments to policemen have been overshadowed by this hacking trivia. I really question if that should have been prosecuted at all.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    How many polls in that time have had the Tories above 35%?
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

or not?

Yup - got that wrong.

Putting my SL winnings on IVC to win whilst 1-0 down, and doubling those currently will make up for that.
    Actually now I've looked at a few front pages, I'm right.... Suarez is covering them but jointly with the black swans. Wonder which readers will focus on most?
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

or not?

Yup - got that wrong.

If he'd have bitten someone in the England match it would have been on every front page. Still a big story, but if he'd done it one match ago would have been bigger.
  • Options
    Well done Greece, qualifying for the latter stages of the World Cup for the first time, perhaps lighten a little of the dire economic news
  • Options
    Phew - cashed out with 8 mins left. 50% profit....

Not a bad betting day.
  • Options
    Happy enough now. Colombia manager obviously realised Rodriguez only needed half a game to destroy Japan :)
  • Options
    I kept my money on Greece. They look capable of stopping Costa Rica and going to the quarters.
  • Options
    JWisemann Yes, but they might save on the 50% top rate Miliband wants to reintroduce. Billionaires like Koch and Trump spent a fortune in 2012 backing Romney so Ed M can comfort himself on the fact they do not always succeed
  • Options
    Columbia looking good as a longshot for the cup.

Happy enough now. Colombia manager obviously realised Rodriguez only needed half a game to destroy Japan :)

• Options
    The truly depressing thing from an England point of view is that there is every chance of both the qualifying group will go out in the next round. It really was not a hard group with no particularly good teams in it.

I think Roy probably has to go although how much is his fault is hard to say.
  • Options
    Costa Rica implied favorites against Greece.
  • Options
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

I kept my money on Greece. They look capable of stopping Costa Rica and going to the quarters.

I drew Greece in the office sweepstake. Have not ordered the champagne yet.

• Options
    DavidL It had 3 world cup winners in it, and Italy have won it 4 times and Uruguay twice, in fact ironically Costa Rica topped the group, the only team in the group never to have won it
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Pulpstar said:

Costa Rica implied favorites against Greece.

Definitely. Greece didn't look good in any of their matches in truth, even tonight they were good on the break but poor everywhere else. Were it not for last ditch tackles they'd have lost handily.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Ed is crap, Labour on the slide.....Labour still ahead, squirrel in back turmoil.

In other news Cameron confidante, great friend and ex employee is proved to be a criminal.

Dan Hodges......."Coulson guilty is a disaster for Ed Miliband."
  • Options

I drew Cameroon, but all the tickets weren't gone - so paid another £2 and have the USA !

Better than England I guess !
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I would have made a loss on various bets today if it wasn't for that penalty. Looked a bit harsh on Ivory Coast though.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    TSE's selection is excellent as ever.

I particularly enjoyed item 3, especially this bit:

Could ditching Clegg this summer really help the party? Absolutely Yes. It would signal that we have listened to the voters – a fundamental requirement for a party that calls itself democratic. A new leader – be it Vince Cable, Tim Farron or anyone else known by the public to have agonised with the choices forced on the party by the Conservatives – will allow us to say an authentic sorry and reconnect with our 2010 voters and beyond.

So the problem that the LibDems have is that they haven't agonised enough. Brilliant!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL It had 3 world cup winners in it, and Italy have won it 4 times and Uruguay twice, in fact ironically Costa Rica topped the group, the only team in the group never to have won it

Uruguay has not come close in recent times and is a tiny country. Costa Rica is nothing special. The only heavyweight was Italy but they are a tired old team who went out at the group stage last time as well.

If England are going to play with the real big boys they have to do much better than these group winners.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    George Galloway gets cheers at tonight's spectator Independence event and a swing to No
    https://twitter.com/spectator
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    Jamie Ross ‏@JamieRoss7 46m

A Norwegian has won £500 after betting £3 on Suarez biting someone at the world cup. http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/24/football-fan-wins-500-after-betting-3-on-luis-suarez-biting-player-at-world-cup-4774558/ … pic.twitter.com/TDoXGQkYJl

• Options
    Uruguay were in the semi final in 2010. Italy was in the Euro 2012 final. Both very respectable positions. England have not got past the quarters since 1990.
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Uruguay has not come close in recent times and is a tiny country. Costa Rica is nothing special. The only heavyweight was Italy but they are a tired old team who went out at the group stage last time as well.

If England are going to play with the real big boys they have to do much better than these group winners.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Pulpstar said:

I drew Cameroon, but all the tickets weren't gone - so paid another £2 and have the USA !

The Americans have really picked up their interest in the World Cup. Nine million watched the Portugal match. It won't be long before they're better than England on a consistent basis.
  • Options
    DavidL Suarez, cannabilism apart, is worldclass on any level, but this England team never had a hope of winning qualification or not
  • Options
    The way they are playing, they already are!
    Socrates said:

Pulpstar said:

The Americans have really picked up their interest in the World Cup. Nine million watched the Portugal match. It won't be long before they're better than England on a consistent basis.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,364

The way they are playing, they already are!

Socrates said:

Pulpstar said:

The USA beat England in the 1950 World Cup. There was also that friendly back in the wilderness years of 1993.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

@FlightPath

Farage sends all four of his kids to private schools.

That is most certainly in the public interest to discuss.
  • Options

Uruguay were in the semi final in 2010. Italy was in the Euro 2012 final. Both very respectable positions. England have not got past the quarters since 1990.

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

1996 Euro Semis - England lost to Germany on penalties - again!
  • Options
    This is the crucial bit in Hannan's column:

Whenever I argue that Britain should secure some sort of country-club status, an EFTA-plus deal based on open markets rather than political amalgamation, I get the same answer from worldly Sir Humphrey types. "We need to have influence. We need to have a seat at the top table". Chaps, how much clearer can it be that we have no such influence? It's not a recent thing: the Sikorski tapes recall the Spanish minister who was unwittingly recorded describing Tony Blair as "a total wanker" ("un gillipollas integral").
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited June 2014
    Nick Robinson could barely keep his hand off his dick on BBC news tonight.

Re England's group. Uruguay have indeed won twice - in 1930 and 1938. England won a home cup 48 years ago. Costa Rica are a nobody team who showed that tonight.
    A team called Wanderers once won the FA cup, I wouldn't be sh!tting it if they were in my group
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

@FlightPath

So does Labour's Diane Abbott!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

This is the crucial bit in Hannan's column:

Whenever I argue that Britain should secure some sort of country-club status, an EFTA-plus deal based on open markets rather than political amalgamation, I get the same answer from worldly Sir Humphrey types. "We need to have influence. We need to have a seat at the top table". Chaps, how much clearer can it be that we have no such influence? It's not a recent thing: the Sikorski tapes recall the Spanish minister who was unwittingly recorded describing Tony Blair as "a total wanker" ("un gillipollas integral").

Surely Tony Blair being a wanker is a tautology?
  • Options

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

1996 Euro Semis - England lost to Germany on penalties - again!
    Because Gazza couldn't score from one yard on golden goal rules
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

Ninoinoz said:

@FlightPath

And your point is? That Abbott is a complete hypocrite?

Agreed, but where did I say that the subject is off-limits?
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

@FlightPath

Anyone with half a brain and cash sends their kids to private school, and avoids the NHS like the plague. State run monstrosities.

• Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

@FlightPath

And your point is? That Abbott is a complete hypocrite?

Esattamente!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Apologies if my constant posts about my betting fortunes are getting on people's nerves. The only reason I've always assumed it was a waste of time betting on football matches, and so I've been surprised that it is actually possible to make profits using the cash out facility.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

@FlightPath

That one's fair enough, because black mothers care about their kids more than white mothers.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Do the phone hacking laws apply to the govt/NSA/GCHQ?

Also the media seem to be bending over backwards to maximize the Isis recruiting drive - i can't decide if that's even worse than Hague wanted to arm them or just as bad.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Apologies if my constant posts about my betting fortunes are getting on people's nerves. The only reason I've always assumed it was a waste of time betting on football matches, and so I've been surprised that it is actually possible to make profits using the cash out facility.

I'm having a quite fantastic World Cup. If Colombia win it, I'll be having a better one. My big call before the start was that Spain would not qualify for KO. Only group I got completely wrong was England's (possibly due to partizanship)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I'm having a quite fantastic World Cup. If Colombia win it, I'll be having a better one. My big call before the start was that Spain would not qualify for KO. Only group I got completely wrong was England's (possibly due to partizanship)
    I'm enjoying the World cup, though the horses have bought me more profits than the footie recently - the best sport to bet by a mile has to be an in running test match though.
  • Options
    The interwebs are having fun with Calamity May's latest statement:

http://i.imgur.com/jakwUlR.jpg
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

I'm enjoying the World cup, though the horses have bought me more profits than the footie recently - the best sport to bet by a mile has to be an in running test match though.
    There were some ridiculous prices on England yesterday.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    I am greatly relieved now that the intensely boring hacking trial has ended, which I have never been interested in. It has been very boring to hear about it on TV, and to read about it on PB and to read about people being warned not to discuss it on PB.

I am however feeling very slightly frustrated at the fact that it is not advisable for me to name names in relation to a completely different (but equally topical) matter, which is much more interesting because of things I know but which most people don't know.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

I am greatly relieved now that the intensely boring hacking trial has ended, which I have never been interested in. It has been very boring to hear about it on TV, and to read about it on PB and to read about people being warned not to discuss it on PB.

I am however feeling very slightly frustrated at the fact that it is not advisable for me to name names in relation to a completely different (but equally topical) matter, which is much more interesting because of things I know but which most people don't know.

I was totally bored by it as well. Whenever it came on the news I switched off the TV, radio or webpage.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Just for the record, my one big prediction before the World Cup even kicked off was laughed at by my all male footie daft household! I had suggested that Spain would fail to impress, and not only that, they would struggle to progress out of group stages in this World Cup. Not only were they not prepared, they simple are not the team they once were, and boy did it show. Despite being a long time fan of Holland, I was almost willing the final whistle to go in that match so that Spain could be put out of their misery.

But then, I also predicted that Chelsea should not be underestimated in a certain European Cup after they supposedly 'scrapped' into the last four a few years ago too. :) My reasoning was sound, Chelsea certainly didn't have the best team on paper, and they were not playing the most stylish football either. But what they did display in spades, was a very clear hunger to win that trophy. :)

I am currently backing Holland to do well. This Dutch team is definitely one to watch, and they might very well cause some more surprises yet as they are playing better with every game. Hope my personal prediction doesn't now cast a jinx on them! On the issue of the England team's failure to progress out of the group stages, I personally thought they had drawn one of the toughest groups in the World Cup, and so it proved.

AndyJS said:

This discussion has been closed.